How To Beat A Slump and Get In The Groove

20101017-IMG_7464

Today was the first morning in 2 weeks I woke up without a sore throat! Holla. (literally).

Right now I can swallow without any pain and it’s a MIRACLE. A bad flu really makes me appreciate when I am in good health I tell ya. I just need to get rid of this tickly cough now!

Yesterday, I mentioned that May is going to be my ‘getting my groove back’ month. April’s injury and sickness left me feeling crappier than crappy and I’ve been feeling out of shape and just, blah.

May also happens to be my birthday month, so naturally I want to be feeling my best to kick off my 28th year with gusto.

20100917-IMG_7301b

First, let’s talk about slumps.

Slumps are also known as ruts, rough patches, potholes, *&^*#&!!, or damn I feel crappy lately.

[Slumps are different than depression though, so if you think you might be depressed please talk to a professional as soon as possible.]

Even though I blog about healthy exercise and eating, I go through slumps just like any other person. I’m human…I mess up…I trip up…I get down on myself. I like to blog about the good times and the bad times because I think both are equally important to talk about. Whether they are exercise slumps, eating slumps, business or school slumps, health slumps, relationship slumps, or even, I don’t know why slumps…they just happen.

Slumps can occur at the same time and create a vicious cycle that is hard to get out of. First, I had my sciatic injury which put me out of my half marathon training. That negatively impacted my exercise, eating, and mood. My mood impacted my eating. Then I got the flu which took me out of exercise completely and also affected my eating habits. This impacted my work and personal life. Negative mood –> official SLUMP!

It is hard not to feel down when going through a rough patch, but I’ve found that if I take matters into my own hands and create positive solutions, I feel much better, faster.

To help create a plan for myself, I first had to identify the slumps in my life and then create solutions for each.

SLUMP

SOLUTION

1) Sickness Stick with healthy flu fighting habits.
2) Sciatic Nerve Injury My sciatic nerve isn’t sore anymore (yay) and I want to continue stretching and yoga as a preventative measure.
3) Exercise I was unable to exercise during much of April (except for the elliptical a bit during the sciatic injury) and I’m feeling out of shape. My solution is to create a few exercise goals that I will be able to stick to in May. More on this below.
4) Eating For me, it is extra difficult to eat healthy when I’m not working out. When I am working out, I find it much easier to eat healthy. They go hand in hand. My eating in April has been all over the map. I lost my appetite and taste buds during my flu so I have had no desire to eat vegetables like I usually do. This also left me craving super sweet foods. In May I need to get my eating back on track.

IMG_9911-2

I’m a very goal-oriented person so I broke the slumps down into achievable goals for May.

Exercise & Eating Goals

Exercise Goals: Strength – Stretch – Cardio – Rest  every week.

• Strength: 1 Body Pump class per week
  • Stretch: 1 yoga class per week (I’m going to try hot yoga soon), plus stretching after workouts
  • Cardio like running, hiking, elliptical 5-6 days a week for ~30-60 minutes each.
  • 1 Rest day a week, or as needed

While I was at the end of my half marathon training in March before this all began, I won’t be jumping back into training just yet. I want to ease into running and focus on my overall fitness before getting lost in a training plan again. I feel like this is a good chance for me to direct my focus elsewhere.

20101016-IMG_6427

Eating Goals:

• Eat more veggies: wash & chop up a bunch every Sunday and keep in containers in fridge as a time saver.
  • Green Monsters few times a week
  • Juicing most mornings
  • Structure Meals and limit snacking: Good sized breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, light dinner & treat.
  • Cook! I’ve been going through a major cooking slump (basically not wanting to cook at all), but I want to get back to cooking more dinners and having more structured meals.
  • Meal Planning: Along the same line of cooking more dinners, I need to plan out meals that I can cook each week. I hope to do this on the weekend before grocery shopping for the week.

Not only do I think these goals are achievable, but by the end of May (and probably sooner) I will be back in the groove. I also hope to blog more about these goals throughout May to let you know how I am doing.

Oh, and I’m printing out my goals and putting them where I can see them. :)

Right now, I’m off to do some meal planning for the week. Any ideas for me?

Do you struggle with eating or exercise slumps? How do you get back in the groove?

1 Andrea @ Vegvacious May 1, 2011

I definitely struggle with eating slumps! If I get on a roll and I’m fueling up on fruits and veggies and whole grains I feel fantastic, but after a weekend like Easter where there is so much temptation I find it really hard to stay true. I find putting down goals (similar to you) makes it much easier to stay on track or get back on track if the case may be.

So glad you are feeling better ~ now if it would only be warm and sunny in May, I think it will be the perfect time to get out of the slump and pumped up for Summer!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2011

Yes I totally agree :)

3 Morgan @ My Name is Morgan and I'm a Pumpaholic May 1, 2011

I just recently found your blog and I love, love love it! You’re a planner just like me :) I also my goals this morning, I set new ones the first of every month! I’ll have to borrow your ‘slump solution’ idea next time I’m in a funk. I have the hardest time getting out of them and I think that’s help alot!

4 AdrienneCarolyn May 1, 2011

Hey we are the exact same age! My 28th is in two days! I go through exercise/eating slumps about 4 times a year for a week or so usually. The best way to get out of them is 1. REST and CHILL OUT. 2. Purge the cupboards of any junk and “treat” yourself to your fave expensive health foods 3. Get outdoors or do yoga or some type of activity that doesn’t feel like “working out”…a couple days of this and I’m raring to go!!

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2011

Happy (early) 28th!! :) Great tips too.

6 jaclyn@lifeoftodayslady May 1, 2011

Meal idea: Soup!!! So good to make because it can last you for a few meals AND the flavor gets better the longer it sits!

I feel like I’m right there with you on the slump thing. I just had that same flu and it was the worst! Since then I’ve been working a lot and haven’t made the time that I need for making proper meals and working out. This needs to change! Thank you so much for this inspirational post. I needed to read this!!!

Happy Sunday :)

7 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) May 1, 2011

WOW you have got this all sorted out! that is BRILLIANT!! I HATE slumps… but I do the exact same !I come up with a plan and DO IT!… you will feeel so great this month for your bday!!

8 kate@ahealthypassion May 1, 2011

I agree everyone goes through slumps, I havent been getting along with my roommate and its effecting my motivation to cook and workout its crazy but I love the month of may as well (its my birthday month too!) so im determined to make it a good one!

9 The Teenage Taste May 1, 2011

I definitely know what it’s like to go through an eating/exercise slump. I find that when I am injured I find it hard to do any type of yoga or stretching and find my healthy eating habits beginning to slip. Glad to know I’m not the only one! Hope you feel better soon Angela! :-)

10 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) May 1, 2011

Sounds like a plan :) You have motivated me…..I hate a case of the slumps but my favorite little quote is “This too shall pass”. Have a great Sunday and thanks for sharing :)

11 Jennifer May 1, 2011

This post was right on target! I feel so stuck in a slump right now. I just graduated college and am so lost about what to do with myself, and because I was so busy during school I wasn’t taking time to eat healthy or exercise, but even though I have the time now, I just feel bleh and don’t want to do it.
Plus all the crappy rainy weather hasn’t helped. I need some sunshine to inspire me. It’s definitely time to leave the slump behind!

12 poweredbypeanutbutter May 1, 2011

I am definitely going through a cooking slump at the moment, I am going to try and sort it out throughout May though and try out lots of new exciting recipes :)

13 whitney May 1, 2011

I needed this advice! Thanks girl. :)
I’m glad you are starting to feel better! Happy May! :D

Whitney

14 Michelle May 1, 2011

What a great post! I go through slumps too and agree that with regular exercise comes healthier eating.

Do you find that making so many goals and posting them here puts too much pressure on you? It would for me, it would drive me straight to bingeing. Whenever I set specific, no matter how achievable, goals, the pressure is on and I get stressed out immediately. Even reading your list of goals makes me feel anxious. Is this something you’ve ever felt?

15 Natalie May 2, 2011

I totally agree and second the question! Just reading your list stresses me! I seem unable to accomplish huge personal lists due to feeling overwhelmed just reviewing them. Was setting goals for yourself a gradually thing and you’ve worked up to big lists like this?

16 cathyk May 1, 2011

May is going to be a GOOD month for you, angela! your upbeat attitude and renewed determination and optimism are shining through in this post! I love your chart with the slump + the action plan…feels so good to have a direction mapped out!
Will be great to hear about your progress as the month goes along…all the best!

17 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food May 1, 2011

I have been through a lot in the last year and I still have my share of slumps! I actually just wrote a post about being in a slump that mainly has to do with my job! It’s so easy to look at all the negatives when you are feeling down, and I know it sounds cliche, but looking at the positives in my life does wonders for me! I think the idea of setting up goals is amazing! It gives you something to be excited about and look forward to. :-)

18 McKella May 1, 2011

I get in slumps every once in awhile, but right now I’m back to eating sugar even though I was doing so well staying off it. It’s so much easier to hear my body’s signals when I don’t eat sugar and I feel so great! I want to get back into that, but getting off sugar is HARD.

19 Morgan May 1, 2011

I’m right with you girl! I was lying in bed this morning thinking,”I’m going to totally make May my kick-start to fit month!” We can all do this together!! :) Great plan & good luck!!!

20 Jen May 1, 2011

Have you tried the cookbook ‘Power Foods’? It has great healthy recipes that are yummy! I was in a cooking and not eating as well slump and this kick started me out! It’s by the editors of Whole Living magazine.

21 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 1, 2011

I’m the same way with my exercise + eating. The two really go hand in hand for me. I just recently pulled myself out of a slump (of feeling like my marathon training was doing nothing for me!) Instead of getting discouraged, I started making small goals every couple of weeks. Seeing the progress was what I needed to motivate me to keep going!

22 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign May 1, 2011

It’s crazy how you don’t realize how nice it is to be able to swallow without pain until you have a sore throat–those are the worst!

I’ve been in a slump lately due to too much going on and being too tired to hit up the gym. Something that always helps me get out of a rut is putting a little extra effort into my appearance…i.e. wearing a cute nike tank and capris to the gym instead of a baggy tee and sofee shorts…it motivates me to be there longer since I feel more confident about my appearance. Don’t get me wrong…I don’t put on makeup and do my hair all cutesy to work out, but there’s just something about wearing something you feel more confident in. Also, a new playlist never hurts :D

23 Jess May 1, 2011

Glad to hear you’re feeling better.

I love your plan to wash and chop up veggies on Sundays—I know doing this would make my workweek life sooo much easier but I often forget to do it!

Thanks for the inspiration, as always : )

24 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy & Healthy May 1, 2011

May is a great month for goal-setting since Spring is all about renewal and a fresh start. Yes little butterflies and chirping birds were flitting around me while I typed that… :)
But I always find when I write them down in a visible place I’m so more more accountable. Meal-planning is sooo key and Real Simple has a great planning/shopping template. (Let me know if you want me to email it to you.) Good luck, girl!

25 Sara May 1, 2011

Your plan sounds great! Sometimes slumps are a forced mental and physical rest, and when you really get active again I bet you will have LOADS of stored up energy :)

When I’m in an eating slump (which is for me having trouble eating at all), I’ve gotten in the habit of steaming a bunch of sweet potatoes and keeping them in the fridge. Grab a sweet potato, grab a protein, and call it a meal. They are so sweet and delicious, maybe they will curb your sweet tooth too!

26 Meredith May 1, 2011

Exactly what I needed to read this morning! I love your attitude – totally inspired.

27 vanessa May 1, 2011

Oh, man, do I know about slumps. I was in a terrible car accident a few years ago, and spent EIGHT MONTHS on crutches. It. Was. Horrible. All my habits fell apart, and I got terribly out of shape. When I was finally well enough to start living my life again, I found it nearly impossible to get back into the swing of things – setting goals for simple things like *wake up at the same time every day, and *keep the house clean, and *cook lunch every day instead of buying it out, and *organize paperwork – I mean, the BASICS, people – were just impossible, because for so long the only goal I could think of was *WALK AGAIN. I finally broke the slump by setting myself achievable goals every day, and making a check list, and MAKING SURE that I actually did them every day, so that I could rebuild NEW habits. I think the hardest part of getting that momentum going was that I wanted to WANT to do them – I wanted some magic dust to sprinkle out of the sky and make me THRILLED that I *got* to clean the house today!! WHEEEE!! I wanted to magically turn into some martha-stewart-esque Disney princess with enchanted forest creatures singing along with me as I joyfully scrubbed the toilet. But in reality, it’s always just me, with my frizzy hair pulled back into a messy ponytail, in my worn-out pajamas, whimpering idon’twannaidon’twanna as I stare at the toilet that needs to be scrubbed, and ignoring those things sometimes feels easier than confronting them and just getting them over with. But I realized that if I wanted to live the life I wanted, *I* had to MAKE it for myself – no one else could do it for me, and the only way to make those goals seem normal instead of overwhelming was to make them habits. And it took about 2 months of slogging through my to-do list unhappily and practically unwillingly, but one day I noticed that I was kind of humming while I was vacuuming, and it just didn’t seem like a big deal, because it was a habit. Anyway, I FEEL you Angela!! Good luck, and take it easy – don’t be too hard on yourself!!

28 Binah April 23, 2014

Wow ur post caught my eye! Wow and wow. I totally geel thay way. Still working on my slump on oh man is it hard but ur right we can only do it and thats the simplicity of it. Food for action.

29 Anya January 28, 2015

Your post is so motivating! I went from having a career working full-time at a job I loved where I felt like a valuable part of a team to being a stay-at-home mom of a newborn with frizzy hair pulled back into a ponytail and some amount of spit up on most of my clothes… I feel like my slump has been just a little too long. Tonight I’m going to come up with a pseudo schedule (as much as you can with a new little one) and a to-do list to start checking off!

Thanks for the advice.

30 Vivianne May 1, 2011

First, I love your blog. I went on a post-reading spree yesterday and read your two of your series, and about 20 other random posts that I was intrigued by. You are so inspiring. I am so happy I found your blog.

I get in slumps a lot. :/ They are so hard to get out of because they truly are a cycle. It’s a downward spiral that I get caught in a lot. Now that my school year has ended, I’m trying to start summer off right and work on myself and my eating. I love that you set achievable goals. It makes progress much more tangible!

May is going to be a great month and I can’t wait to follow your journey!

31 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 1, 2011

Thanks for this post Angela — I experience slumps from time to time and I look forward to seeing how you get out of it! I like your lists — focusing on overall fitness, eating well, etc. I know you’ll be back to your old self soon (and even more new and improved!) :)

32 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 1, 2011

Great approach Ange – I am highly goal oriented too and set them every month. Tomorrow on my blog I’ll be reviewing my April progress (some hot, some not so hot!) and setting new goals for May on Tuesday. I totally agree about exercise and eating going hand in hand. If I am missing the feel-good feeling of a workout, it makes it difficult to put in the extra effort to do food prep. If you’re looking for recipe inspiration (although this is weird because YOU are normally one of my sources!!) a while ago I made a Loaded Spring Veggie Salad (http://bit.ly/jypvlD) and an Italian 4 bean salad (http://bit.ly/lmrXYb) and a Mediterranean Farro Salad with Artichokes and Chickpeas (http://bit.ly/jTzW1O) – they were all really good and PACKED with veggies!

33 VeggieGirl May 1, 2011

GREAT post!! Thank you for tips.

34 Amanda May 1, 2011

I know what you mean about healthy eating and exercise going hand in hand. When I’m exercising regularly, I’m so much more motivated to be good to myself in other areas, including eating. And I find that getting back into a good exercise regime after a slump can be really difficult, but once you break through that initial wall, it’s all uphill from there! I hope that May is a better month for you Angela! Happy early birthday!
Amanda :)

35 Lisa Fine May 1, 2011

I love the concept of “slumps”, because there’s a difference between feeling down and being depressed.

Lately, with my spring allergies and being unemployed for nearly a year, I’m feeling kind of “slumpy”, but I also think about all that I can do to stay healthy (spend minimal time outside – though sad, take antihistamines, do indoor workouts), and all that I’ve done in the last year despite being unemployed. It helps slumps go away, for sure.

Glad you’re feeling better.

36 Heidi May 1, 2011

Slumps SUCK. We all go through them and that is part of what helps me through them. Being forgiving to OURSELVES is key and knowing that we are DESERVING of care and love. Re Hot Yoga… as I yoga teacher I would suggest that you take it easy with that due to your sciatic injury. With the heat in the room there is a tendency to OVER stretch and that can make things worse. Always be mindful moving from pose to pose and keep that ego in check. I know… I’ve been there ;)
LOVE love your blog and all those wonderful recipes!

37 Amber K May 1, 2011

I find that when I’m not exercising I get completely unmotivated to eat right. I’m not really sure exactly what it is, but I just can’t get excited about healthy foods when I have to lay around! I’ll have to read through the other comments for advice.

38 Shelley May 1, 2011

I am so glad that you put up this post! I am going through the EXACT same thing right now. I have been so busy with a move/work/school and now being sick that I really feel like I have been in a slump. I know my body is not feeling the best it could therefore my mind isn’t either. I just sat down last night and put together a “Week 1 of May” plan focusing on healthier eating, a more structured exercise regimen, and various other goals to help get me going and focused (meditation, drinking more water). I find that planning helps me so much because I have my goals and what I will do to reach them right in front of me as a reminder that it is possible. Planning is also the easiest way to stay on track with healthy eating. It is nice to see that everyone goes through this and that all it takes is a little elbow grease to get yourself out of a slump. Good luck, I hope you get back to tip top shape soon!

Shelley

39 Ashley May 1, 2011

This definitely happens to me!! More-so with the exercise slumps than eating. It usually happens when I’m sick, travel home for a week, or just don’t have time to work out. It’s always SO hard to get back into the swing. I hate that slump mood too. It’s like I see it happening and I can’t do anything about it. It’s funny though, b/c the slumps probably happen about 4x a year. Maybe it’s just natural. Maybe it’s just our bodies taking a much needed break. The flu really knocked it out of me this year too. Even just getting outside for a walk really helped though. Looks like you have a great plan. You’ll be back to feeling like yourself again soon!! Off to home depot..haha

40 Meghan May 1, 2011

Thanks, Angela…I so needed this! April was definitely a slump month for me too: I was going through some emotional stress, got super-sick with bronchitis, hurt my foot so I can’t run, and got very stressed during university exams. But May is a new month!

41 Kara May 1, 2011

Great post! Slumps do happen to everyone, but it doesn’t mean they don’t suck when it happens to you. I’m totally with you on the exercise and eating healthy connection…it is so much easier for me to eat healthy when I’m active.

Happy May and I hope you feel better soon!

42 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 1, 2011

I’ve been in SUCH a food slump lately. I’m still eating healthfully, but my choices are just so monotonous and unexciting. I really want to start having fun in the kitchen again- hopefully in a few days when I graduate from college!!

43 Allison May 1, 2011

Angela,
To read this post was like you were reading my thoughts!! I have been in slumps as well! I haven’t been ill or injured, but I’m at the end of a very difficult semester of nursing school, that is laden with stress and extremely time consuming. My workouts have suffered, and when i don’t workout, I don’t eat as well. So my diet is “slumping” too, and I feel completely “blah” as a result. Finals are this week, and after that I will have several weeks before I have to go back, so I plan on using that time to get back on track as well. Anything you could include in your future posts about the planning and getting back on track process would be much appreciated and helpful.
I love your blog, and have made many of your recipes. Every time I take one of your awesome salads for lunch, at least one person asks what I’m eating, and I pass your site on to them. Please keep up the wonderful recipes!!

44 Moni'sMeals May 1, 2011

your plan sounds realistic to me, you get my approval! :)

I do not really find myself in any slumps with eating/workouts…do I dare say I am one of those lucky people?! :) Acually, I am in a “workout clothes” all the time-24-7 slump! Get me in a dress or jeans asap!

45 Teagan May 1, 2011

Meal planning for the week is my faaavorite thing to do when I’m feeling a little slumpy! Ummm…I would reccomend anything from Lorna Sass’s New Vegan Cookbook. I’ve already tried the Brussels Sprouts and Udon Noodles with Miso Sauce and the West Indian Squash with Jerk-Spiced Tempeh. Both are sooo good1

46 Dakota May 1, 2011

So glad to see this post today. I was out of commission for most of April with bronchitis and asthma flare-ups. To make things worse, I had signed up for my very first 5k on April 29th, which sooooo didn’t happen. As a “beginner” of healthy eating and fitness, slumps make me think all sorts of negative thoughts (you can’t do this, you failed already…). I’m inspired by your post to sit down and regroup. Thanks so much for the right stuff at the right time!

47 melissa (fitnessnyc) May 1, 2011

Great plan. I am sure you will be feeling all glowy again soon. You still look gorgeous, regardless of your own perception! Thanks for the healthy inspiration.

48 Anna May 1, 2011

This is just what I needed to read, as I’ve been in a slump for most of April as well!

49 melissa (fitnessnyc) May 1, 2011

Thanks for the healthy inspiration. Great plan. I am sure you will be feeling all glowy again soon. You still look gorgeous, regardless of your own perception!

50 Michelle | Gold-hearted Girl May 1, 2011

Yay for trying hot yoga! It’s amazing. You’ll definitely flush out all those slump toxins. :)

51 zoe (and the beatles) May 1, 2011

i think april might have been slump month! i hit a slump with exercise, eating well, happiness, and just over all health. i’m using may as my month to get back to health as well! good luck with getting your groove back :)

52 Alyssa May 1, 2011

Thank you so much for being so open and honest. I think that some times blogs only post the good stuff and it tends to make others lives look so perfect. This was really inspiring to me because I too am fighting the slump monster. I started really changing my diet and exercising the beginning of the year and things were going great but all of a sudden almost every vegetable makes me so sick. So we are in the process of elimination of what could be going on with me. It is such a long, painful process right now. And because of all the pain I am only getting in 1-2 workouts a week. But I am trying my hardest to focus on the positive, like at least I am working out and hopefully I can get this fixed or under control. It is great to see you have such a positive attitude on your road to recovery!

53 Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 1, 2011

I think the fact that you are posting how to get out of a slump – be it exercise, sickness, eating.. or what have you.. is awesome! Slumps.. well, they can be pretty damaging if you let them continue on…for an unmeasured amount of time. Thanks for this post – it will be bookmarked to give me tips (and your motivation) to do something about my slump, set some small goals, and get crackin!

54 Ruth May 1, 2011

This post was wonderful. Thanks for all the inspiration! I’ve been in a really bad exercise slump for the past month and a half thanks to my semester getting out of control. I was on track and training for a (short) race, my first ever, but then life just got in the way and I found myself going to the gym less and less. I think I just took on far too much this semester and I’m thinking about toning it down a bit for the fall.
Probably because of this exercise slump I’ve ended up in a very bad eating slump for a little over the last two weeks. I’m determined to get out of it, but it’s difficult when food has been one of my stress coping mechanisms for so long and I’m under so much stress.
Just yesterday I put up a big sticky note where I’ll see it every morning that says “My Goals: Health, Happiness, Love” I’ve got to say that even such a small thing is helping. It reminds me to stick to my goals and get back my rhythm.

55 steph May 1, 2011

I’m in a slump right now too. I hope to get my groove back in May as well!

56 Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) May 1, 2011

Yay for feeling better!

I get into exercise slumps and it can be hard to get out of them! When I make goals for myself, like planning to work out 30 minutes every day, it helps.

57 Therese May 1, 2011

I totally get into slumps, especially that I’m still trying to get some weight off. Losing weight requires a LOT of focus for me and there are days, weeks and sometimes months when I just get tired and slump but, like you, when I realize this I make goals and they really help me to get on track. Right now I’m in the midst of my first time at bootcamp and it’s really pushing my limits and I’m LOVING it! Looking forward to May for continuing bootcamp and starting training for my first 30k race in August!

58 Kerry May 1, 2011

So glad you’re feeling better and getting out of a slump!

I was in a slump the few weeks leading up to Easter Sunday. I realized I had to make some changes, and I couldn’t wait until the end of the semester, end of internship, etc. So last week, I paid close attention to getting enough sleep, eating healthy meals, and adding in more exercise and that worked to some extent. But last night I got together with friends and just felt so much better when I came home. The lesson? While I did need the sleep, nutrition, and exercise, I think I was really lacking social interaction and that was a big part of my slump! Sending healthy energetic vibes your way…..

59 Tawney (Eat Hike Sleep Repeat) May 1, 2011

I was definitely in a slump for the past few months. Hiking is my “thing”, yet I was struggling physically and then my motivation went out the window too. Focusing a clean diet was a big help. Garbage in, garbage out as they say. For me, I needed a bit of a mental shift. Instead of dwelling on the fact that I didn’t feel up to par, when I was out on the mountain I kept reminding myself that it is activity that I do by choice, and one that I love. I tried to let go of the sluggish feeling, and soak in amazing scenery. We can definitely get recharged by positive surroundings. Coming out of the slump just in time for May!

60 Ronja May 1, 2011

It totally happens to me, too, that when I exercise, I eat healthier. When I don’t (or can’t) exercise, I crave sweets and more unhealthier food in general.

To beat a so called slump, I make myself notice the fact that I eat unhealthier when I don’t exercise. Just noticing this fact makes me want to exercise. And to get back to exercising, I tell myself that even a little is fine. I tell myself that even 15 minutes counts, and I can always find time and energy to exercise for 15 minutes. What usually happens is that when I go for a 15-minute run, I end up doing more because then I remember how much I love it.

61 Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve May 1, 2011

Okay, not to plug my own blog, but go here for an awesome recipe: http://eatexerciseevolve.blogspot.com/2011/04/cest-la-vie-portobello-tacos.html

It’s vegan and perfect for Cinco de Mayo. I know you’re Canadian, but you can still celebrate Cinco de Mayo by eating some food with a Mexicano flair. I totally recommend this! I also have a great vegan Thai eggplant recipe. I’ll be sure to send it your away soon!

62 Emily May 1, 2011

Great post! I hate slumps… This is packed with awesome advice though! :)

63 Rasha May 1, 2011

I read hot yoga and got a little too excited!

It’s my go-to practice for everything: slumps, bumps, and happy times. It picks me up and whirls me around *quietly* until I walk out of the studio without a thought in mind.

If you plan on going soon and need any help/information about it, please do let me know! I go to Bikram Yoga Guelph almost 4-5 times a week, and I would love to accompany you! : )

I hope you feel better soon! All the best! xo

64 JenATX May 1, 2011

oh angela, thank you for being so honest :) Everyone wants to come off as totally put together & “with it” but that isn’t reality. It makes it much easier to deal with low points when you know they are completely normal.
I don’t really go through exercise slumps, but I go through school slumps where it is very hard to study & I just can’t get the motivation to read. These are especially rough for me because school is so competitive & I just feel like a slacker if I don’t want to study all day… in fact, I am currently trying to figure out a way to go through my outline a few more times. blughhh

65 Nadine May 1, 2011

Ugh. I get the illness, I have been sick all April, turns out it was my appendix, just got it out! I can’t wait to get back to running, and now with nasty appendix gone I should be able to!

Hope your get your groove back too.

66 Liza Jane May 1, 2011

Happening to me right now! thanks for the inspiration to get my own groove back!

67 Amelia May 1, 2011

I fell into a major slump in April too (and we’re not the only ones it seems). I blame the Mercury Retrograde ;)

The start of a new month feels like the perfect opportunity for slump-busting. Today I raced in a 10K and set a new personal record that I’m super proud of; if that’s not a good way to start off the new month I don’t know what is!

68 Katherine: Unemployed May 1, 2011

we’re in a slump together! I’m in a major one; I hope we both get out!

69 Danielle @ weightsandmeasures May 1, 2011

I definitely go through slumps. When I was sick for the last two weeks I just wanted to eat quick and easy. While I did eat a bag of popcorn for dinner one night, I really tried to eat fruits and veggies as much as possible I knew that would help me get well faster. Exercise slumps happen too. The start of a new month is a great time to “reset” in life. I feel like May is a reset month for me too!

70 kaila @ healthy helper! May 1, 2011

Sounds like a concrete and achievable plan! I’m sure you will do great! I always find that writing down a plan helps me stick to it more effectively. As for your meal plan, how about some Sweet Potato Lentil chili…recipe on my blog…..or some grilled portobella mushroom caps as burgers?!?! Those two are gonna be on my meal plan for the week!

71 Jen May 1, 2011

Angela, I”m so glad you’re feeling better. This post really struck home with me. I was in a bit of a slump in April too. I found out I was pregnant in March (I’m 35) and then some of the symptoms hit in April. I gagged at vegetables, (as a vegetarian, that was tough) I was super tired, I gained a few pounds and I just felt “off”. I know I’m supposed to be all kinds of happy now that I”m pregnant but I”m struggling! They always talk about postpartum depression but I think I have pre-partum depression. I’ve struggled most of my life with eating and exercise issues so these changes are really messing with my brain. I can’t just “snap”out of something that I’ve struggled with for 15 years. It’s getting better, though. I went shopping this weekend so that made me happy. Also, I was talking to a friend at the gym and she was staring at my tummy. I said, “I know! It’s getting big already!” and then I groaned. My friend doesn’t have any children and she said, “Jen, if my tummy was getting big because of that, I’d be ecstatic!”. That really put things into perspective! I know I’ll still have setbacks this month but I just gotta keep myself positive. It’s my birthday month too!! Another reason to celebrate! Thanks for the great post. I think I might need to think about my goals for May. Take care…

72 Jessy May 1, 2011

I came home last weekend for spring break and during these 10 days I’ve definitely struggled with a slump. Procrastinating got me to unproductivity and not exercising, which led to anxiety and horrible eating. :( But I’m determined to get back into the swing ASAP. The hardest step is to start again,to end the cycle. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

73 Angel7 May 1, 2011

First off, I really appreciate the topics that you blog about. You come across very honest and genuine, which is probably why you have many people who like and follow your blog :)

Yes, I get in both eating and exercise slumps.

I like to eat, but do not always have healthy food on-hand. I have been incorporating better food choices little-by-little in mine and my family’s diet.

I do not like to exercise, but really need to! I cannot keep using excuses not to exercise, because although I am not overweight, I could use some toning and lose a little weight.

And lastly, I need to plan meals, instead of cooking off the cuff :) It makes more sense to plan meals, as opposed to looking in the kitchen for the ingredients I need that day, and inevitably not having everything I need to cook dinner. If I had the meals and ingredients needed that I wanted to cook for the week written out, then it would be a whole lot easier when I go to the grocery store.

74 JL goes Vegan May 1, 2011

You’ll bounce back, Angela. I wrote a post this week with similar revelations re: exercise. I do think that one of the advantages of eating a normally healthy diet–and maintaining a level of fitness–is that we bounce back from these slumps well. I know YOU will!

75 Michelle May 1, 2011

I can totally relate. March was my slump month and I’ve spent April getting back on track. You can do it Angela!

76 Cyndi May 1, 2011

Wow I am so thankful for your post. I am in a huge slump. I was in the best shape of my 49 yrs had just run my 2nd 1/2 of 2011 and 3 days after was smacked with sciatic nerve problems making it painful to walk…then April 20th was hit with a bad flu/sinus bug and still mending – ugh APril Slump…May Pump. Get my groove back, hope you do too!

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2011

April Slump…May Pump

LOVE THAT!

78 Ashley Fasso May 1, 2011

Try making hummus pizza. It’s one of my favs. Instead of tomato sauce, use hummus! I like to use a middle-eastern pita (large) and then add carrots, peppers, and onions with like a red pepper or lemony-hummus. Finish it with scallions (you can exclude the onions if you do this) and maybe some hot sauce if you like that!

79 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 1, 2011

Angela, so happy you woke up WITHOUT a sore throat…yay for small miracles!

Do I get in slumps? Of course, everyone does! Not every day do I wake up and say omg I can’t WAIT to get outside and run and power thru this workout. Most days, yes, I do love it…but sometimes getting started, getting out the door, just getting going is the worst part. If I am truly not into a workout, I tell myself to start, get going and in 5-10 mins if i am still not into it, I give myself permission to quit!

By the time I’m 5-10 mins into it, the endorphins have usually kicked in and I am happy to finish. And if not, i try again the next day.

I am happy your sciatica is better too. And yes, YOGA all the way. In sanskrit, Parsvottanasana or intense side stretch pose will really help you I think. When my sciatica acts up, it’s great for me.

Love your May goals!

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2011

Thanks Averie!

81 Ally May 1, 2011

I COMPLETELY agree with the ‘hand in hand’ aspect of healthy eating and cardio. Yesterday I said to myself “ally, you can either sit around all night eating or you can get up and take a study break”. I ended up going on a 5 mile run and it definitely proved to be a wakeup call to my endorphins and to my healthy habits! :)

I was in a bit of a slump a few weeks ago but it was beause I had to take time off from yoga. I pulled a hamstring muscle and it rendered a lot of my regular yoga classes nonexistent. By getting back into the groove I felt SO much better!

82 Suzanne May 1, 2011

Loved this post – and all of your posts – you are such an inspiration! I am sure you will be glowing again in no time with your attitude and tools for coping! It helps me and I am sure your other readers, to know that even with your healthy attitude and lifestyle, you get stuck like anyone else does. I give you lots of credit for sharing with honesty. Your other posts have been AMAZING to read – and I so appreciate you sharing your struggles with eating and weight (as a former/ still sometimes struggling ED person)…but sharing what is happening in the here and now takes even more courage and I appreciate that too.
Wanted to add another bit of food for thought…whenever I am stuck, struggling etc (as I have been for the past 2 weeks), I know there is a lesson for me to learn. Some may not agree, but I believe everything happens for a reason…so getting sick/ injured is part of that. Forces us to slow down, look at things (and yes – sink into old, unhealthy habits sometimes :-(). Many times our unconscious is trying to tell us something…so I focus on being open to what that may be. Sometimes I get it and sometimes not, but the more I practice it, the more clear things become. Meditation helps this.
Don’t mean to overanalyze ..but thought you might connect with this idea.

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2011

Yes I totally agree with that viewpoint! I will have to reflect on this :) Thank you for your kind words too!

84 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 1, 2011

You are so right, exercise and eating well go hand in hand. I just knocked out a sunny run and all I wanted was juicy fruits and veggies after. It’s what the body craves.

85 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission May 1, 2011

I just did a new post on my meal planning for the week! I definitely needed a lot more veggies in my life. My body was craving them, so I made a vegetarian chili! It’s so good that it probably won’t last the week…probably a few days. But I love planning healthy meals, it makes it 100x easier to stick to a healthy eating plan.

86 Alexandra Aimee May 1, 2011

I’m so sorry to hear about your slump!! I *had* noticed a lot more sugary foods hanging around this blog then usual lately! Glad to know it’s not just my perception. I have been in an exercise slump too. I am getting married in five weeks, and for the last three months I have been training really hard because the beautiful dress I chose is strapless and low backed…. And I have NO upper body strength (or muscles) at all… So I’ve been working really, really hard, then three weeks ago I sprained my ankle…. BAM…. Just like that I went from long daily work outs to just having to sit and watch all my hard work go down the drain. Thankfully I am finally feeling a lot better, and I joined a gym with an olympic sized pool so I am swimming now and loving it! Just that little push gave me the motivation to see trainer to try to figure out what to really do to make these last few weeks count and I am feeling great about it! I would say I am now slump free, and you will be soon too :D

87 Rebecca May 1, 2011

I agree its hard to get out of a slump! I’ve been in hotel for work for the past week and have had no desire to go to the gym… Hopefully my workout cravings come back soon!

88 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 1, 2011

This is really strange – I was going through something similar around 2 weeks ago – at which point I set myself a MOVE it, TONE it, DRINK it challenge!

Day 12 and I am still going strong – and I am now officially on the count down to my 30th birthday eeeeeeek

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2011

I LOVE that!

90 Alexandra Aimee May 1, 2011

Oh, by the way Angela how do I add a picture next to my post?

91 Alexa @ SimpleEats May 1, 2011

So glad you’re feeling better! The flu can be brutal!

92 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts May 1, 2011

Thanks for this post :) I’m in a bit of a slump myself today so it’s nice to read (1) I’m not the only one and (2) a post that may just kick start me out of it! I’m also glad you’re feeling better – being sick really knocks me around too, so it’s understandable you’re not feeling your best. Enjoy the new month and getting back into things (slowly!).

93 mi-an May 1, 2011

I like your idea of chopping veggies on Sunday to have em ready for the week! I think about doing it but just forget! Glad you’re feeling better!

94 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 1, 2011

I sometimes get in slumps too, but I do the same thing as you – I make a plan and drag my sorry butt out of that slump! ;) I’m excited to see what awesome dishes you’re going to cook up!

95 Kelly May 1, 2011

This blog post is right on target for me as well. I’m in a slump. After finishing my first round of P90X April 9, I haven’t had any structure to my workout schedule. I feel out of it. I just came up with my own schedule to try to get myself back on track. You have had a lot to overcome in the last month. I’m glad you are feeling better.

96 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 1, 2011

thanks so much for this post! I am in a post-vacation slump after 2 weeks of relaxing, good eats, good drinks, and fun. Getting back in the groove seems anything but glamorous right now, but at least we are all in this together!

97 Char May 1, 2011

Thank you so much for being real because I feel like you have it all together and it really helps knowing that we all have difficulties (and I don’t mean that in a bad, but a ‘phew’ kind of way)!! I actually am in a slump myself, and love that you came up with solutions. Mine is a food slump, and especially planning meals for the week – I get too consumed in figuring that out and just don’t end up doing it at all, so I need decide how I can actually make it happen!

98 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) May 1, 2011

So glad that you’re starting to feel better. I totally sympathize with feeling lethargic and out of shape, especially when you’re forced into it. But you’re right about this being a small blimp in the radar and you’ll pick things up faster than you think (all that rest will give you more energy than you thought – and your muscles will be nice and strong from their wear and tear vacation). :)

Also, those cookies look delicious! I’ve been replacing my morning oatmeal with green smoothies (felt like I was starting to have a reaction to oatmeal after eating it daily) and now I’m missing oats like crazy! What better way to have them enjoy them outside the breakfast box than as a cookie? :D

99 Lexi May 1, 2011

I also had the flu this winter (my first time EVER!) and it was horrible, it really did last the 3-4 weeks that the doctor told me. That was a major exercise slump for me and by the time I was recovered I was dying to get back to the gym/on the road! One thing I will say though is to NOT push yourself to exercise before you are fully recovered. After about 2.5 weeks of the flu, I thought I was better because my fever had been gone for a couple of days and my cough was minimal. I went to a spin class and told myself I’d take it easy, worked at about 1/2 of what I usually do. Yet when I looked at my heart rate monitor after the class my average was in the 170s and my max was 195! I’m 28 and in good shape, so numbers like these are very VERY alarming. It was definitely a wake up call to me that my body was still fighting that bug and I was straining it more than I should by working out. I took another 2 weeks off, as difficult as that was, and learned a valuable lesson, to give my body a break:)

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 2, 2011

I agree with this! I won’t be exercising until 100%. It sucks but I think if I did it would make it worse and last longer…

101 rebecca lustig May 1, 2011

i’m definitely a goal oriented person as well! i have not a doubt in you, youre a rock star.

102 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 1, 2011

I really agree that healthy eating and exercising go hand in hand. It’s hard sometimes when slumps are reigning supreme!

103 Lisa May 1, 2011

I get in slumps too and it’s usually a result of sickness or injury. It’s easy to get stuck in that cycle. :( I try to distract myself or I hang out with friends.

104 Audrey May 1, 2011

Good luck on your goals, Angela. :)

105 Amara@GirlinaWhirl May 1, 2011

OK, maybe you were in a cooking slump, but your blog has recently helped me get back into cooking. Thank you Thank you Thank you for all of the recipes you’ve posted. I’ve shared your site with friends and family too.

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 2, 2011

That is great :) Thanks!

107 Maggie K May 1, 2011

I am a long-time lurker, finally ready to speak up! I love your blog, so inspiring!
I have a slump-related question: are there any “problem foods”, healthy or not, that you simply CAN’T stop overeating? For me, it’s popcorn! I probably have one bowl of homemade popcorn every other night..way too much corn!!! Any tips on how to limit your favorites?

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 2, 2011

For me it’s sweets…in all forms!
I try to limit myself to one serving of a sweet (usually my baked goods) a day…Im not always successful but 1 serving is my goal!

109 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life May 1, 2011

Girl, thank you for posting this! I feel like I’ve been in a slump too – in terms of eating, working out and getting enough sleep (which I know is SUPER important!). I definitely feel you when you say it’s much harder to eat healthier when you’re not working out because I’m the same way! I just made some workout/eating/sleeping goals for this week and hopefully I’ll kick this slump’s boot-ay this month right along with you!

110 Paige @Running Around Normal May 1, 2011

These sound like great goals!! You’ll be out of your slump in no time :D

111 Jodie May 1, 2011

I have been in a slump too. I just finished planning my workouts for the week and now I am on to my meals. Thanks for posting, you will be back in the swing of things soon. :) Have a good night.

112 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 1, 2011

i do what you do! I come up with a plan and I stick to it! It really helps me when I get into a slump. :)

Thank you for this post. It came at the perfect time! :D

113 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle May 1, 2011

i have basically the same goals as you! I’ve felt out of my element for a while lately and now I’m ready to get back on track!!

114 Anna May 1, 2011

I love your recommendations for dealing with slumps Angela! I find your daily blog completely inspiring and post topics so intune with my own life. It is uplifting to hear about someone else going through the same triumphs and struggles. Thanks for everything and good luck with the “get back on track” plan! I too am recovering from being sick so I’m trying to get back on a healthy kick for May and will look forward to hearing about your success! Wahoo!

115 Ellie May 1, 2011

i would really love to win a copy of Tina’s book!

116 Lili May 1, 2011

I totally agree that it’s harder to eat healthy when we are not exercising! This post really inspired me to set some more ‘steady’ exercise goals. I never really put the goals on paper but I will try to do it, thay I can visualize the goals.

Oh and btw, the other day I was searching ‘the3 0 day shred’ on YouTube and I came across your video. You are too cute and love your voice too!

117 Kat May 2, 2011

Love that you mapped out the slumps and solutions! Makes me think about setting goals to get out of my slumps. Thanks for the inspiration!

118 Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily May 2, 2011

I definitely experience food and exercise slumps and the hardest part is digging my way out it. I think my biggest motivation is remembering how good I feel when I have exercise and good healthy food in my life.

119 coffeeaddict May 2, 2011

I recently read how people fail to utilise their professional knowledge in personal affairs. This article suggested we approach our private lives as if we were running a business and try to identify major problems and efficient solutions.
As I read this post, I see just exactly what was meant by it. You have an uncanny gift of recognizing your triggers and instead of procrastinating you make a sensible and most importantly an achievable goal. I find many people make the typical mistake when planing that they set their goals too high leaving no room for a set back, bad day, other unforeseeable events and when they inevitably fail to achieve the goal they fall into an even deeper slump.

120 tweal May 2, 2011

I think I may be falling into the slump you are just coming out of! I’ve got a cold/flu thing going on and obviously eats and exercise are suffering – hopefully it doesn’t take 2 weeks for my throat to get better. I was healthy pretty much all winter and now that it’s warmed up, I get sick.

I need to get better about setting and following through with goals. I hate knowing there is something I have to do, it pressures me and makes me want to rebel and not do it at all. Yes even if it’s a good or fun thing – it’s like there are 2 sides of myself, one that wants things to get done and the other side who doesn’t wanna follow instructions. It can be tough to sort them out sometimes!

121 Jennifer Drummond May 2, 2011

Good for you! I am following your lead! I was sick in April, still not 100%, slacked on exercise and I feel gross!!! I’m not a runner, but yesterday I actually jogged 3 miles in 43 minutes, thats really good for me It was nice to get out and enjoy the sunshine and not to mention I actually had energy! May as you said is the new beginning and I am following that too!! Time to eat healthy and exercise! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one that feels the way I do! Have a great week! Cook up some healthy dishes, and share with us and take it easy on your workouts, since your just getting over being sick!!

122 Christine @ Burning It Off May 2, 2011

I totally agree that eating healthy and exercising go hand in hand… when I’m working out regularly it makes me want to eat healthy to fuel my workouts and feel energized. When I go through slumps in either my fitness or eating habits, I do the same thing you just did – write down what’s been bothering me and what I can do about it and set some new fitness/healthy eating goals. Works every time :)

123 Faith @ lovelyascharged May 2, 2011

I feel like I’ve definitely been hitting a slump too. It’s even gotten to my emotions – not necessarily depression, but they have been so up and down. I think May needs to be my “get my glow back” month – time to re-find my confidence, happiness, and zest for life! I know that it never really left, I just haven’t let myself find it or live in it yet!

124 ellalinea May 2, 2011

Good look with your may goals!! :) I’m sure it will be a great month for you :)

125 Angie May 2, 2011

I’m trying to come out of a slump too so thanks for this post. One thing to consider, in Eat, Pray, Love there is a discussion of how being in balance sometimes requires time out of balance. I don’t know if I’m explaining this well, but I try to remember that it’s my time out of balance that ultimately leads me back to balance. Thank you for writing :)

126 Tiff May 2, 2011

I hear ya! I had a month-long slump in March – foot injury, vacation, then sick. So frustrating! It’s hard to get back into the swing of things, but once you have a few green monsters and great sweat sessions, you’ll crave it again. : ) Good luck.

127 judee@glutenfreeA-Z May 2, 2011

Very Inspiring post! When I don’t exercise my healthy food routine goes out the door too..

128 Amy May 2, 2011

Great advice :)
It’s easy to just want to give up and say “woe is me” when bad things keep happening, but we gotta remember, it’ll pass!

129 jenna May 2, 2011

good luck with your goals!

130 Nicole@ Fresh & Fit May 2, 2011

Looks like you have a pretty good slump fighting plan! I am the same way with exercise and eating well. If I’m not exercising I have less of a desire to eat well, seems kind of backwards.

131 Tracy May 2, 2011

Hi Angela,

I really look forward to your posts every morning. Today’s was just what I needed. I look forward to your menu. I hope you post it. I have wheat berries in the frig that I cooked last night in order to prepare your Back on Track salad. I can’t wait to try it. Keep the posts coming.

132 Justeen @ Blissful Baking May 2, 2011

Glad you are feeling better! Good luck getting your groove back!

133 Sam May 2, 2011

This past week i have been in the exact same slump! sick, and not exercising or eating right during it. I took a week off from all exercise and in the process i pretty much ate bagels, ice cream, and granola bars, with a smoothie thrown in here and there. I finally felt better today so i went on a run and i feel so much better now. I hate being in a slump but it’s good to be working out of it!

134 Jen May 2, 2011

Thanks for the inspiration to stay motivated! How about a request for a recipe that has raspberry & lemon?? Something like this, but vegan http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/09/raspberry-breakfast-bars/

135 Shannon May 2, 2011

I totally understand how you feel! I injured my knee almost a month ago and then almost immediately after caught a seriously intense flu, which I’m just now getting over. I’m finally getting back to the gym this week and am so excited. Did you know that May Day (yesterday) used to be celebrated as a new beginning? It’s the end of the winter half of the year and people used to have big May Day parties to celebrate this fact and the coming more productive months of the year. So what better time to start fresh? Congrats on your positive outlook and a new beginning!

136 Alissa May 2, 2011

Odd question: I am starting to eat healthy but can’t keep my fruits or veggies fresh for long. What do you use for storage after you wash and cut them? Thank you for your time.

137 Samantha May 2, 2011

Lately this (Cinnamon Spice Sweet Potato and Chickpea Salad <– http://flavorator.blogspot.com/2011/04/tuesday.html) has been my go-to meal. It is simple, quick and it tastes' heavenly. When I get into exercise slumps I just try to think positive thoughts and remember what reasons I'm working out, good health, to not get flare ups (health reason), to feel good about myself etc… I know it's a simple thing, but it works. It reminds me that we all fall down sometimes but we have to pick ourselves back up. You're strong and you'll get out of that slump in no time! Good luck!

Samantha

138 amy May 2, 2011

Going through a major slump right now< my jeans are feeling very tight because I haven't been exercising and eating properly. I need to get back on track and pick up where I left off instead of just giving up. Your post has been very helpful.

139 Sami May 2, 2011

Hi Angela, I’m not a frequent commenter but I have been a reader for a while now and I just wanted to thank you for all of your inspirational posts. I can really relate to you and your goal-oriented mentality. This post came at the right time and is very helpful!

140 kerry May 3, 2011

i’m going through a slump right now! I was on holiday in April and just haven’t got back into the routine of working out and healthy eating, but yesterday i decided its time to change! :) great post!

141 Brit Visser May 3, 2011

You will LOVE hot yoga! It seriously is my favorite! It will definitely help you in getting back in the groove also!
I definitely get in slumps also.. and when I do it just seems to negatively affect multiple aspects of my life.. so I definitely agree with your post! Thanks for always sharing from your heart! I find what usually pulls me out of the slump is forcing myself to get back to exercising. When I get back into that, I feel better about myself, desire to eat healthier and have alot more energy. Its a win win win situation :)

142 Marissa May 3, 2011

So I’ve recently stumbled upon your Blog and I must say that the recipes are awesome and your helpful and encouraging words are a blessing. After a long trial period I’ve just made the permanent switch from meat-eater to vegetarian last week and it has already been a struggle. Some of your recipes have really helped when I have come home from working 9 hours and I stand at my fridge just staring-Very frustrating!
I know that slump that you’ve been speaking of and I 100% understand. With summer beginning to knock on our doors I find a lot of my happiness being in the garden and digging in the dirt. We have a very lovely veggie and herb garden, Asparagus has been our first harvest of the season and it is just wonderful. The garden did need to be tended to with removing pesky weeds, mulching, adding compost to the perennials, and tilling in the veggie beds. Needless to say-Our weekends have been spent outdoors and the added sunshine has put a nice pep in my step. It’s been very nice to sit outside enjoying the warmer temps. So, that’s my advise-Get outside and gets your hands dirty! I know, for me, playing in the dirt seems to be the best medicine!

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 3, 2011

Great advice! The soil just arrived today :)

144 Helena May 4, 2011

Hi Angela,
I’ve just been catching up on posts- thank you for this one! I’ve been in a slump lately, with me it’s also like if I don’t work out right, my eating becomes terrible…it really goes hand in hand. I’ve decided to get out of my slump, can’t wait to feel fit and healthy again! :)

145 Leslie J Portu July 3, 2016

Angela & fellow readers: I realize this post is roughly five years old, but it so resonated with me that I had to comment : ) I feel EXACTLY the same about every point made. Exercising and healthy eating go hand in hand. When I’m ill, or injured, or unable to work out for a week, or even just a few days, my healthy eating goes out the window and it becomes a downward spiral from thereon. Extremely depressing and frustrating to lose what you’ve worked so hard for in a matter of days! Particularly with age (I am 48 and in good shape), I find the excess pounds come on SO much faster than they come off. A grave injustice! I also find my cravings for carbs and sugars increase with illness and basically every time “that time of the month” is nearing. This inevitably spurs yet another setback in healthy eating. Nevertheless, it is essential not to simply give up and go crazy eating everything you know you shouldn’t–which is the mindset that sometimes sets in: Oh, I’ve blown it now, so why not eat the whole cake?! Of course, slumps apply to all areas, not just health. I am a fiction writer and find when life takes me out of the groove of writing, it is quite difficult to begin again. I like your idea of putting *ACHIEVABLE goals (*key word) in writing as a means of getting back on track. I plan on doing this myself next time I find myself in any sort of slump. As always, thanks for sharing. Funny how your lows have a way of lifting others up ; ) Yours, Leslie