Vegan Royal Wedding Scones with ‘Clotted Cream’ and Strawberry Jam

IMG_5017-2

There is something I have been hiding from you for the past month.

I have a deep, dark secret.

And I think some of you might too.

I have been totally sucked into the Royal Wedding hype!

I know, I know. I swore that I wouldn’t, but the media hoopla wore me down. I’ve watched several interviews and documentaries and with each one I get a bit more excited for the wedding, to the point where I’m looking in the mailbox wondering where my invite is! I mean, I feel like I know the couple at this point, don’t you? Not to mention, I used to have a huge crush on the Prince when I was a teenager. Didn’t he get my letter?

To make matters worse, Eric and I watched the Wills & Kate straight-to-TV movie last weekend. Ok, that’s a bit embarrassing to admit, even for me. I guess it would be more embarrassing for Eric, but he was being nice because I was so sick. That’s what husbands do. They watch corny straight-to-TV movies when need be.

I might’ve also bribed him with scones…

IMG_5025

Then I started thinking, well, maybe I’m not the only one who has been watching countless Royal Wedding news. Maybe I’m not the only one who has dreamed of being BFF’s with Kate or guessed how drunk Prince Harry will be at the reception. These are all things that a normal person might think about.

Yesterday, a reader named Katie asked me if I had any ideas for a healthy vegan Royal Wedding recipe. That was when I knew that there were others out there just like me! I didn’t have to hide any longer.

IMG_5010

I thought about making traditional scones with white flour, but white flour just doesn’t leave me feeling my best when I eat it. After experimenting with so many different flours, I greatly prefer the nutty flavour of whole grains, and the energy boost that comes along with them.

So these are not your dainty traditional scones, but what better than to have nontraditional scones to go with a modern royal couple?

We are breaking traditions here my friends!

IMG_5029-2

These delightful little scones are made with a mix whole-grain spelt flour and oat flour (that I made from processing rolled oats). I threw some frozen blueberries in at the last minute with a sprinkle of coarse Turbinado sugar and the outcome was definitely suited for royalty.

IMG_5015

But I didn’t stop there. I whipped up a modified vegan version of clotted cream that I spotted in Vegan Yum Yum’s Cookbook. It was just the right amount of creamy sweetness to top each scone.

And of course, a dollop of strawberry jam on top and a cup of Black tea!

IMG_5029

Ok, who wants to have a tea party with me tomorrow? :)

1 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 28, 2011

LOVE that you did a Royal Wedding post! My fiance and I are totally sucked in as well and read every bit of news we can about the event! So exciting! The scones and cream are just lovely.

2 Hannah April 28, 2011

Hahaaha this is so perfect for the Royal Wedding! When is the actual wedding anyway? I feel like it should have happened by now! I’m not really into it, I don’t really get the hype, but I gladly will if it means eating some delicious scones! :D

3 Saima April 28, 2011

it’s tommorrow 10 am GMT!! oh yeah, totally not following it! heh

4 Christine @ Merf In Progress April 28, 2011

Oh, man, I just can’t get into the royal wedding! I’m looking forward to seeing pictures of Kate, though. She is beautiful, and I can’t wait to see what she wears, her hair, and her jewelry.

5 Camilla April 28, 2011

Ahhh!!! I can’t wait! I’ve been obsessed; I <3 Will + Kate! :D

6 Lisa Fine April 28, 2011

Those are absolutely adorable.

I haven’t gotten sucked into the Royal Wedding, but I do get updates from my mom, and my boyfriend, who’s Australian, and who keeps me up to date with all news, especially from the Commonwealth.

7 cathy April 28, 2011

i haven’t watched any specials or interviews at all! but i will put on the telly at 5 a.m. tomorrow – i don’t want to be clueless about the dress, the hoopla, the ceremony etc. prince edward was always my crush!
hope you’re feeling better today, angela!

8 jenna April 28, 2011

I’ll come have tea with you! can we wear tiara’s? :)

i can’t wait for tomorrow! i’m dying to see the dress/crown! she will be such a gorgeous bride!! I bet she wants to pee her pants…can you imagine having to get married infront of the whole world???? scary!

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

I want to pee my pants FOR her!

10 Alyssa April 28, 2011

Ha, ha . . .that is the best way to describe it!

11 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 28, 2011

Oooh me please!!! I had a huge crush on Prince Will when I was younger too. I haven’t been fully sucked in by the hype yet, but I do want to watch the live stream tomorrow morning (posted it on my blog today!) mainly to see Kate’s dress!! My mum watched the straight-to-TV movie last week as well and I’m kind of wishing I had too! Enjoy your scones Ange, they’re gorgeous as always!! :)

12 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 28, 2011

I’ll be honest — I don’t get the royal wedding thing ;) But I definitely get the vegan clotted cream!

13 Leanne April 28, 2011

It’s like you knew I was making blueberry spelt scones tonight for a royal wedding party tomorrow! Yes, I have also been dragged into the hype (who isn’t going to wake up at 4am just to see a wedding dress?!). Don’t forget, they are taking a trip to Canada in July! Oh, and if you want really dorky, E! Online has a royal title generator, its a good time!

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

Princess Angela Prudence Liddoncott :)

15 Gloria April 28, 2011

I’m up for a tea party! :D haha Those look delicious.

16 Faith @ lovelyascharged April 28, 2011

I am SO drawn into the royal wedding too! I’m definitely dying to see that movie…it’s a total infatuation!

17 Lauren April 28, 2011

These look so tasty! I’ve unfortunately got sucked into the hype too, I don’t know how it happened! At first I was so annoyed by how much they were talking about it on the news…then suddenly annoyance shifted into fascination…and now I can’t wait for the wedding!!!

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

Same here. It wears you down after a while I guess!

19 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 28, 2011

oh yum! i’m excited about the wedding but not sure if i’m going to wake up at 4am to watch it :)ii’m hoping they’ll show it again… can’t wait to see what she wears!

20 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 28, 2011

The coverage 3 weeks in advance of the event turned me off at first… but I’m totally guilty now that it’s so close. As much as I wanted to resist… I can’t wait to see what Kate’s dress looks like! :)

21 Nikita April 28, 2011

I’m absolutely not the type to be interested in celebrity lives… but I find myself oddly sucked in to the royal wedding hype also! I’ve been trying to think of how to convince my husband to watch it with me lol. Maybe a sweet treat?

22 Tara @ trulysimplebits April 28, 2011

aw LOVE that you made scones in celebration of the wedding. great idea! I am slowly getting warped into the whole royal wedding stuff too and I will be watching in full force tomorrow. Bring it on!!

23 Angela April 28, 2011

That’s so funny. I am planning on making scones for the Royal Wedding as well! I couldn’t think of any particularly English mid morning foods so am having afternoon tea in the morning.

I’m not surprised you have been sucked in. By the sounds of it everywhere else in the world is in total wedding overdrive compared to here in the UK.

24 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 28, 2011

PERFECT TIMING!!! i shall make these and bring them to the royal couple myself!!>!. woohoo thanks for thinking of us brits!

25 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats April 28, 2011

I am not sucked in, but I can appreciate why people get sucked in – there is something romantic and sweet about the two of them. The scones looks wonderful.

26 Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey April 28, 2011

I’m a die-hard Anglophile, and have my DVR set to tape 11 hours of wedding coverage on Friday, on BBC America. (!!!!) My Mom and I watched Princess Diana’s wedding in ’81; and when I was 16 y/o I saw Diana in person, in London. I have always loved all things royal family, London, etc. (Hence the 2 years I spent living over there in my 20′s!)
I’m planning on getting up extra early tomorrow to see what I catch while getting ready for work. Then, this weekend – it’s DVR time! :)

~

27 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 28, 2011

I really can’t wait for the wedding! I live in HK, so people still feel very attached to the British royal family, and there are so many parties being held all over town.

But it’s also a love or hate kinda thing. Some people are so fed up with it, but I’m sure everyone’s a little excited on the inside :D

28 Ashley April 28, 2011

I’ve got the wedding set to record! I’m very excited– such a fairytale! I’m not going to be home to watch it until Sunday, so it will be a late tea party, haha. These scones look wonderful! My boyfriend loves scones with his coffee:)

29 Dani @ Body By Nature April 28, 2011

Gorgeous photos! Those scones are probably the only thing that would get me up at 5am to watch the royal wedding :)

30 Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily April 28, 2011

I love it. Those scones look so tasty. Give me one of those and a cup of coffee and I’m happy camper.

31 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 28, 2011

Ha! I’m sure Prince Harry will end up very drunk at the wedding reception…love the rebel of teh Royal family.

32 Katy @ A Healthy Shot April 28, 2011

Ironically, I saw this post while I’m waiting for batch #2 of scones to come out of the oven! Perfect wedding watching treat :) I made cranberry orange, but yours look delicious also!

And I’ve dragged my boyfriend into watching all of the specials, interviews, movies, etc. also, so Eric isn’t alone ;-)

33 Ashley April 28, 2011

You are so cute!! hahaa I haven’t seen a lick of the coverage, but now you’re kind of making me wish I did. Or, really, I just want a scone + your company. But, not while you’re sick. ;) I have never had clotted cream!

34 Danielle N April 28, 2011

Oh my gosh I totally have wedding fever… I can’t wait to see what Kate looks like tomorrow – hair, makeup, dress, everything! The scones look delicious and are making me really hungry for lunch :)

35 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 28, 2011

I’m not super into the royal wedding stuff, but it is kind of exciting and I’m excited to see how everything turns out tomorrow.

I do want to see the made for tv movie though — haven’t watched it yet though!

36 Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 28, 2011

I would love to have a tea party tomorrow. Tea and crumpets, and scones for all! (said with a British accent)

37 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 28, 2011

Can I come to your tea party?? I love scones! They’re a perfect breakie for the Royal Wedding and for Wimbledon! These look absolutely fabulous. Thanks for not forgetting about the cream. I love that you’ve done a vegan version.

38 Anna April 28, 2011

I got totally sucked in too!! I watched the movie, but my excuse is that I knew one of the actors in it from high school (rubbish excuse I know), and now I find myself debating whether to get up at 5am to watch it, or if I can be satisfied with DVR-ing (so long as no-one spoils the dress surprise…) Eeek!!

39 Jess April 28, 2011

You’re DEFINITELY not alone. ;) I’m getting up at 4:30am to stream the 5am wedding…mmhmmm…going to make something delicious for myself. Possibly these, or your Fruity Baked Oatmeal. Love it. :D

40 Caitie @ The Caitie Experiment April 28, 2011

I’m moderately embarrassed to admit my total fascination and excitement over the marriage of two people I don’t even know — but COME ON, I could recite William’s entire name by the time I was 12! (PWAPLMWoW would look great on an LL Bean bag, no?). I actually have a big event tomorrow night and I’m going to look horrid in all the photos, because there is NO WAY I’m NOT waking up at 4:45 so I can watch. I remember being such a zombie the entire weekend of Princess Diana’s funeral — I had to be peeled away from the tv!

41 Kate April 28, 2011

I am so sick of all the media coverage on it, but I do actually want to see the wedding :) Your scones look awesome! I am planning cucumber sandwiches and tea for Friday, just for fun.

42 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' April 28, 2011

Ha, my husband and I recorded that TV movie on Will and Kate, too! Glad we’re not the only ones. :D

I totally got sucked into all the hoopla around the Royal Wedding, too! I’m so excited to watch it tonight/early morning. It’s gonna hurt to stay up that late, though. (it airs at 3am in Los Angeles!) Might need to squeeze in a nap between 11pm and 3 am!

My husband told me he wants to celebrate by eating Burger KING and Dairy QUEEN– appropriate, right? LOL ;) I think your scones sound WAY better!!!

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

doh I should have recorded it! lol

44 thehealthyapron April 28, 2011

as usual, another excellent recipe I have to try!

45 Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 28, 2011

Love this recipe!!! I also am keeping up on the Royal Wedding. It is just so fascinating!! And I love Kate Middleton! She’s so classy!

46 Claire April 28, 2011

I literally can not wait!

I was 4 when Charles and Diana got married and can vaguely remember the wedding and the whole country being swept into a frenzy so I can not wait to see our future King marry such a gorgeous, down to earth girl.

Oh and we get a day off work for it – hooray!

I am not a massive William fan, but I do love a bit of pomp and ceremony!

Harry for King!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

That is so cool you get a day off work!!!

48 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan April 28, 2011

Oh my gawd, I thought I was the only one who watched the Lifetime movie! I feel better now :)
I’ve got royal wedding fever too. *I* wanna be a princess! ::pouts::
Love the scones ‘n cream idea.

49 Heather (heathers dish) April 28, 2011

Doh! I have to remember to DVR the wedding!!! And make these scones for when I wake up crazy early to watch it!

50 Leslie Uhl April 28, 2011

I lived in England for years and I just LOVE scones and clotted cream, yours look delicious!

51 Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 28, 2011

Perfect breakfast for a royal wedding addict!

52 April @ Grits & Granola Bars April 28, 2011

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what she wears!

53 Alaina April 28, 2011

I was definitely crushing on Prince William as well when I was younger. I have to admit though, I think Prince Harry is much more attractive now. :-)

I’ll definitely be watching the wedding (either tomorrow morning or on DVR over the weekend). Scones would be the perfect accompaniment!

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

Yea Prince harry totally has a bad boy thing going on ;)

55 allison April 28, 2011

I totally have royal wedding fever and i watched the lifetime movie too hahah and i enjoyed every minute of it:):) Since i open at the gym I get up at 4 so I’ll be able to watch the whole shindig right from the beginning:):) One of the trainers and i are planning on wearing cheapo fake tiaras and these scones just might make an appearance too;);)

56 Jen G. April 28, 2011

Love. It. I can’t drag myself out of bed at 6 to do yoga before work, but I will at 4:45 for pomp, circumstance, and romance! (I watched the TV movie too.)

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

haha :)

58 megan @ blackberries for jam April 28, 2011

You are my hero! I’ve totally been sucked in too. I’m actually considering purchasing the William and Kate biography on my kindle and reading it all day today to prepare for the big event. These scones look fantastic. I may have to prep all the ingredients tonight so they’re ready to pop in the oven bright and early tomorrow. Cheers to the Royal Wedding and all the hype!

59 Diana April 28, 2011

I’d have a tea party with you! Well, I’ll actually be holding one myself, starting at 11PM tonight – CBC has coverage beginning then (I’m in Vancouver, so that would be 2AM in Ontario)… Time for me to get baking!

60 Kathryn April 28, 2011

I was just saying that I didn’t know a single soul that was into this wedding! Now I see several are! Who knew! The scones look quite lovely and I love the take on clotted cream.

I just got myself the dry blade for the vita mix and it can turn whole oat groats into oat flour in like 30 seconds, it also kneeds bread. Seeing how you love good healthy flours too I thought I’d let ya know how amazing it is.

61 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

Thanks for the tip, Ive been thinking about that blade for some time.

62 helen @ healing through positivity April 28, 2011

You do NOT need to be ashamed of Royal Wedding hype! I am having a tea party and wearing my wedding dress – even sent out wedding invites! In pride of place on the table will be OSG Chocolate Cupcakes with almond buttercream!!!!!!

I am so happy the hype has reached you all the way on the otherside of the Atlantic!

Have a GREAT day tomorrow and a good weekend.

x

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

LOL oh that is wonderful!!!

64 Claire April 28, 2011

This is a link to the official programme of the wedding. Hope it works for you – it’s quite an interesting read!

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

Oh that is fun, thanks!

66 Gloria April 28, 2011

I’m totally going to wake up at 6am tomorrow to watch the wedding and make these. SCORE!

67 Katie April 28, 2011

Thank you Angela!!!

I am so excited to make these. I just got some fresh strawberries last night so I may try to incorporate those too. Also.. I am glad to know that others are planning to have some fun with it and have a little party!! Guess I am not the only one :)

Thanks again, I knew you would have something delicious to share with us

68 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 28, 2011

These look delicious. Clotted cream is my favorite scone topping. It’s hard to find at restaurants unless you’re at a traditional afternoon tea. I used to just buy it and use it at home.

69 staceyhealthylife April 28, 2011

I’m not fully sucked into the wedding, just a little interested. But I’m fully sucked into these scones, yum.

70 staceyhealthylife April 28, 2011

71 Charlie April 28, 2011

I don’t follow the royal wedding. Not having a television might help with that…
These scones look so good! I’ve found this weekend’s breakfast :).

72 Sara April 28, 2011

Great idea! I am in London right now and it is insane – I went downtown to see if I could absorb any of the hoopla, and there were so many people. I thought I would want to go down there tomorrow morning since I am here, but I think it is too much for me. I’m watching it on tv with the rest of you!

73 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

Gosh I can imagine it must be nuts!

74 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 28, 2011

I am getting up at 4 AM to watch the wedding. I wish I were joking, but I’m not. Yes, I realize that’s a little crazy but I can’t help it.

75 Roz April 28, 2011

OMG…Knowing I’m not alone, I’m now LESS embarrassed to admit I that my husband and I (well, I, my husband was reading but on the couch) watched the bad Will and Kate movie last weekend and will also be setting my alarm and watching the wedding live tonight. I’m on the West Coast, so I may just pull an “all nighter” and know tomorrow’s workday won’t be my most productive ever! :)

76 Jennifer Wolfe April 28, 2011

I watched it too…I loved it. I have a complete girl-crush on Kate, I just think she’s so beautiful. Shhhh my husband doesn’t know about my Royal Wedding interest!!

77 Brenda Fisher April 28, 2011

I am going to a wedding party Friday night. They recorded the event and dress code is gowns and jewels. I just have to keep myself away for the tv during the day so not to see it ahead of time. I think I will bring the scones. Great recipe!

78 Paige is Running Around Normal April 28, 2011

Oh no you didn’t! :-P
These look so delicious. They’d be a perfect 4:00 a.m. snack indeed ;)

79 Emily @ One Sweet Vegan April 28, 2011

We’re DVRing the wedding beginning at 1am. I’m getting up early to start watching it, but not THAT early! Just this morning I was wondering if somebody in the blogosphere would have some great vegan scone and clotted cream recipes and you definitely delivered. :-)

80 Lenna April 28, 2011

Those are the best looking cookies, ever!:)

81 Emma @ Getting There & Going Places April 28, 2011

Haha! I know what you mean!
Everywhere I turn there is something about the wedding! I got sucked in as well! So excited! :D
I will be ready in front of the TV tomorrow morning (I can watch it live here in Holland) with a lot of English tea and wishing I had one of those scones to go with it! They look amazing! :O

82 Katherine: Unemployed April 28, 2011

what a classy dish

83 Leah April 28, 2011

This would go perfect at all the street parties going on here!!

84 Beth April 28, 2011

I have a feeling that your scones would be better than the Wills & Kate straight to TV movie.

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

haha!

86 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 28, 2011

This brings back so many wonderful memories for me!

I hiked around the southern coast of England with friends after graduating from High School and our favorite rest stop was getting tea and scones with clotted cream. What a wonderful, healthful take on the classic! :)

87 Sarah April 28, 2011

Me too, me too, me too! I even watched the Lifetime movie. Hahaha! I made some digestive cookies in the shape of crowns at lunch. Your scones look amazing though. I’ll have to try them out soon!

88 Christine (The Raw Project) April 28, 2011

I can’t get into the royal wedding, it just seems like another wedding to me. But these scones look fabulous, I might need to start baking more just to try them! :-) Thanks for the recipe.

89 Rebecca April 28, 2011

THIS must be why that bag of frozen blueberries fell into my cart yesterday at the store. Must try. must must try. Scones are my one weakness (OK, one of many ;))

90 Donna April 28, 2011

Oh my gosh, i wish i had the time tonight to make these and eat them at 5am when i plan on getting up, crazy i know, but BF gets up at 5am for work so i’ll just get up with him!

91 Donna April 28, 2011

92 Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL April 28, 2011

Those look gorgeous and yummy! What a cute adaptation.

93 Katie April 28, 2011

How fun! I miss scones since I don’t work at my bakery job anymore =)

94 Keri April 28, 2011

I am SO excited for the royal wedding! I’m skipping class with a couple of my friends to watch it! I just love Kate, she seems so down-to-earth. I have serious hair envy for her. Yay for princesses!

95 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 28, 2011

I’m trying not to get sucked into it, but I’m failing! It’s all so exciting (and I had a crush on William when I was a teenager too… who didn’t?) Great looking recipe!

96 Krislyn April 28, 2011

The whole thing is a horrible distraction. I feel sad when intelligent women get swept up in that princess and royal wedding bullcrap. The elite spend an ungodly amount of taxpayer dollars on themselves, while so many are living in hunger. Not only does the majority allow it, but they find entertainment in it. Wake up people. Please.

97 Vicki April 28, 2011

I didn’t realise that Americans were so into the Royal Wedding until I started seeing that some of the bloggers I follow were excited for it. I will definitely be watching it and the boyfriend and I will be having a lovely brunch complete with scones.

Seeing as your scones aren’t traditional, I can let it pass that you don’t have a traditional cup of tea either. (It has to have milk!) They do look great though, and what a great idea for vegan clotted cream!

98 sarah April 28, 2011

My daughter is 7, the same age as I was when Dianna got married so I am going to wake up early and watch with her. Strangely enough, my 10 yr old son is more hyped about it and is going to set his alarm for 4:30 am!
Thanks for the recipe–I just might surprise them and make these and some tea for our breakfast!
I think it’s kinda nice to have something fun to watch on TV for a change, instead of all the bad news, it’s nice to switch gears! Enjoy!

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

aww that is so cute…what a memory!

100 kaila@ Healthy Helper blog! April 28, 2011

I am in for the tea party! LOL! I am sorry to say that I have been drawn in by the wedding too….I didn’t think I would but it’s actually really interesting! The scones looks fab!

101 Sonia April 28, 2011

i am trying not to get sucked into the hype. I mean, The Today Show has practically been nonstop Royal Wedding love that I have to change the channel to listen to more important news.

Now that these scones are here though . . . I might have to whip some up and maybe, just maybe check out the gown.

Thank you Angela, now I’m getting suckered in by scones :)

102 Danielle April 28, 2011

Don’t feel bad! I have been sucked in too! And I don’t ever pay attention to celebrity stuff at all. I can’t wait to see what her dress looks like!

103 Emily April 28, 2011

I never knew about vegan clotted cream. This will definitely be a must try!

104 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 28, 2011

I haven’t really been sucked into the whole royal wedding hype. But I do love scones! :D

105 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 28, 2011

I think I am the only one who didn’t even know they were getting married…I mean, I guess I “knew” but truly tuned it out. If it’s not on blogs, and not on my DVR which is only E Channel and Bravo shows, then I don’t watch it. I get all my important world news from the blogsphere…haha :)

Clotted cream, veganized. You are TOO good!!! When I think clotted cream, I think Ina Garten and vats of boiling cream. Great job on that one! And the scones…yum!

106 kate@ahealthypassion April 28, 2011

I had no clue they were even getting married tomorrow Im waaaay out of the loop.. but I might dvr it :) the scones look delish !

107 Mel April 28, 2011

I’m a true british royalist at heart so I love the wedding, Im attending a street party and everything I mean it’s an historic occasion that they will teach in the future, I can say I remember that day.
It’s a family thing I guess because all on my mothers side know everything about the royals and are always in an out of palaces and stately homes – I guess I can blame genetics ^_^ At work we’ve been dressing up in Tiaras and crowns I’m really into they hype.

I’m not sure what you made of the film but I think it looks uber cheesy and its been called the worst royal film ever made and from what I understand it’s a very exaggerated story so Im reluctant to watch it.

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

hha yea it was def. cheesy!!!

109 Rachel April 28, 2011

First of all, these scones look awesome. Looking at all the pastries and scones at coffee shops leaves me a little sad since I know they are full of dairy. I may have to make these and bring them with me on my next coffee outing.

Second of all, I tried to comment on your Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole post to tell you how much I loved it, but it was closed for comments. I made a double batch (maybe more with some mods) and ate it every day for 6 days in a row and grieved when I took the last bite. Two more sweet potatoes may be calling my name. My oatmeal skeptic husband even raved over that and your carrot cake one I made awhile back. You may just help me win him over to oats!

Finally, I’ve noticed you have started using more soy in your recipes. Have you had a change of heart toward soy or were you ever actually avoiding it on purpose? I’m just curious what your thoughts are, since it’s one of those controversial products and I’ve struggled with finding my own answer on it. I love your take on most ingredients, so I’m just curious what it is on soy.

Thanks for inspiring me daily!

110 Char April 28, 2011

I was annoyed with all the Royal Wedding talk, then all of a sudden this morning, I couldn’t stop thinking about it and how I’m going to watch it since I work in the morning. If only I hadn’t had a change of heart… lol

111 Josie Kilde April 28, 2011

These look super yummy. I too have been sucked into the Royal Wedding hoopla! I heard about your website from a friend at work and I have been addicted to your recipes! Thanks for such a great site! My husband is a “meat and potatoes” kind of guy and he gobbles up everything I make from your website…I think he might go Vegan after all!

112 Andrea April 28, 2011

Just made your scones… MELT IN MY MOUTH YUMMMMMMMMMY

Dusting off my tea set and MAYBE, just MAYBE am pulling out my wedding dress.
Nerd, YES!! Pee-in-my-pants excited… YOU BETCHA!!!

113 Nienke at Revel April 28, 2011

I love it! And yes, I will also be one of those crazy people getting up at 4am to watch the wedding while eating scones and drinking tea. It’s so awesome that we have a happy event to bond over :)

Way to go on making your scones so healthy!

114 Holly @ Cook it, Bake it, TASTE it! April 28, 2011

I haven’t been following it all, but now reading through this post it makes me want to watch it tomorrow! Kate is so beautiful. I’m sure she will be a breathtaking bride!

115 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 28, 2011

hehe I totally watched that movie too!

116 Reka April 28, 2011

I have never baked with spelt flour before. This recipe looks like a good one to start with though :) You’re so creative Angela. I love it that you’re not afraid of kitchen failures!!! I wanna be like that when I grow up :) I/m kinda afraid of wasting ingredients I guess, b/c our food budget doesn’t stretch very far.

117 Moni'sMeals April 28, 2011

bloody brilliant recipe! I have to say, I have not watched any hype, not any! I wanted to- just had no time.
I plan on watching tommorow though.
With some of these of course. wow!

118 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn April 28, 2011

I am INCREDIBLY obsessed with the royal wedding. These will be perfect for when I watch the wedding!!!

119 Roseanna Schiralli April 28, 2011

I will totally be watching with tea in hand!! I’m soo excited, unfortunately it will just be a party for 1 though, wish I planned a bit better and had a tea party!
Look – Perez Hilton like’s your scones too!! http://fitperez.com/

120 Angel7 April 28, 2011

I have not gotten into the Royal Wedding like most people. But if I am able to, I will try to get up at 4:00AM to watch the wedding. I would like to see, the fairytale wedding most girls, like me, dreamed of having.

My mom and one sister got up early in the morn. to watch Princess Diana’s wedding many years ago, and my mom said that she is getting up to watch William & Kate’s.

By the way, the scones look awesome!

121 Molly @ RDexposed April 28, 2011

I love the English touch. My 25% English heritage says to make these scones tonight!

122 Jen April 28, 2011

I was planning to get up at 5 am tomorrow so I’d have time to shower/do makeup before the wedding at 6 am, but now our building is without both hot water and heat thanks to the crazy wind storm today so there will be no shower for me tomorrow :( Not sure if I’ll still get up that early…I wanted to, because I remember my mom getting me up to watch Charles & Diana’s wedding when I was about 4 years old. We had a tea party in front of the tv and oohed and aahed over her dress. My mom passed away when I was 9 but I think if she was here, we probably would’ve gotten up early and watched this wedding together, so I may still do it. I hope these two have a successful and happy marriage – William has already had enough heartache in his life with losing his mother so young. Enjoy your vegan scones!

123 Kate April 28, 2011

I just saw this recipe on fitperez!!!! In case you didn’t know :)

124 jess April 28, 2011
125 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts April 28, 2011

These look great :) And I’m also glad I’m not alone! I haven’t watched any of the pre-wedding documentaries / coverage, but I made my partner record the actual wedding (to his dismay!) and am looking forward to watching that. Nearly time!

126 Lauren April 28, 2011

Ah, this brings back so many memories of when I lived in England. We would eat scones and clotted jam almost every morning!

127 Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life April 28, 2011

FUN!!! I’m totally not into the royal wedding, but the scones look YUMMY!!!!

128 Gail April 28, 2011

Ha! Yeah, I’m a closet Royal Wedding fan myself. I think Kate Middleton has such a sense of style and I’m really anxious to see her wedding dress and how she’ll wear her hair. I’ve been an anglophile for a long time. I remember getting up early to watch Charles and Diana get married, and was so pulled into all of that. I even did an essay at school about all the preparations for their wedding. I’m working the night of the wedding, so I’m hoping I’ll get to watch some of it! We’ll see. I’ll be at your tea party in spirit!

Love is in the air!!!!!

129 Ellie@fitforthesoul April 28, 2011

wow i love scones soo much! I so would love to try Ireland’s countryside scones b/c I hear that they’re sooo hospitable and usually invite any ole’ stranger for tea and scones! :D

130 Laura @FoodSnobSTL April 28, 2011

Clotted cream sounds gross, but looks sooo good.

131 Nikki April 28, 2011

Not sure if you saw, but Perez Hilton’s fitness website, Fitperez.com picked up this recipe!

132 Kat @ Cupcake Kat April 28, 2011

I’m getting so excited about the royal wedding! If I didn’t have an exam tomorrow I would so stay up to watch the ceremony.
These scones sound delicious and like the perfect way to celebrate

133 Jessie April 28, 2011

I just saw these on perez hilton and they didn’t even give you credit girl! Only for the photo. I don’t know if this sort of thing bothers you but I thought it was pretty lame.

Anyways, stoked to test this one out!

134 Jaclyn T April 28, 2011

Congrats on being on fitperez!

135 Sarah @ The Strength of Faith April 28, 2011

I got sucked in as well – it’s hard not to!

136 Liza April 28, 2011

I read your blog daily and just saw a picture from your website on fitperez!

137 Lu @ Done Dieting April 28, 2011

You aren’t the only one. I’ve set my alarm and DVR just in case. I’m really excited!! It’s sad.

138 Dalai Lina April 28, 2011

i just opened you post while watching tabloid royal wedding tv! I can’t wait so see her dress!

139 melissa April 29, 2011
140 Sara @BakingandWine April 29, 2011

I was just about to come ask her that too.

I was so excited to see her picture there, but then I clicked on it and he just kind of wrote the recipe out and gave credit for the picture. Ha.

141 Lexi April 29, 2011

I am such a sucker for the royal wedding!! I was ribbed at work, for sure… and a LOT of people here are NOT fans at all.. but i am so into it! all-nighter for sure!!!

142 Beth@naturallyyoursbeth April 29, 2011

I love any excuse for scones!! I made pumpkin scones to munch on during the wedding :) can’t wait!!

143 Hannah April 29, 2011

I tried! I tried to watch that movie but within twenty minutes I felt a need to wash my eyes with Lysol. I am, however, currently watching the Wedding. CAN’T WAIT FOR THE DRESS!!!

P.S. I’m giggling because your scones look like a little like boobies :P I’m five years old…

144 Stephanie April 29, 2011

Lovely scones! It’s amazing how much people care at my workplace! Some of my coworkers woke up at 4 in the morning to watch.

145 Angie April 29, 2011

Like you, I’ve been loving every moment leading up to this wedding. I love watching them this morning. Nothing better than a happy union :)

146 Tanya April 29, 2011

Me too, me too! My husband was actually indulgent enough to get up with me at 5am and watch it, while taking naps during the “driving” parts lol

147 Caitlin April 29, 2011

Wow! It’s like your famous Angela! your photo and recipe are on perez hilton’s website! Congratulations for the exposure!

148 marla {family fresh cooking} April 29, 2011

Loving these vegan scones! The dollop of strawberry jam & cream on top makes ’em extra special :) I will stay in touch with the royal wedding through you girl.

149 Marit April 29, 2011

HAHA…
I was actually sat at work today watching the whole thing with 10 of my co-workers all discussing hats and worrying over Kate’s obviously diminished weight and how that dress was obviously sown or measured when she had bigger breasts coz the dress didn’t sit quite as it should…
But all in all a very moving ceremony and you could see as they gave their vows, that they both just wanted to jump up and down and scream little “yip-yip-yip’s” in exitement….

Loving it… a teeeny bit of real life drama…

150 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 29, 2011

I LOVE THAT YOU DID A ROYAL WEDDING POST!!!! :) These are PERFECT for a day like this! :D

151 Emily April 29, 2011

Now I know what to demand… Um… I mean, ask for nicely for my birthday breakfast. These look SOOO good!

152 Amy April 30, 2011

I was looking at vegan recipes on food gawker and I saw this recipe just thought i would tell you about how famous you are! I check your website everyday, favorite website of all time!