Vegan Royal Wedding Scones with ‘Clotted Cream’ and Strawberry Jam

IMG 5017 2   Vegan Royal Wedding Scones with ‘Clotted Cream’ and Strawberry Jam

There is something I have been hiding from you for the past month.

I have a deep, dark secret.

And I think some of you might too.

I have been totally sucked into the Royal Wedding hype!

I know, I know. I swore that I wouldn’t, but the media hoopla wore me down. I’ve watched several interviews and documentaries and with each one I get a bit more excited for the wedding, to the point where I’m looking in the mailbox wondering where my invite is! I mean, I feel like I know the couple at this point, don’t you? Not to mention, I used to have a huge crush on the Prince when I was a teenager. Didn’t he get my letter?

To make matters worse, Eric and I watched the Wills & Kate straight-to-TV movie last weekend. Ok, that’s a bit embarrassing to admit, even for me. I guess it would be more embarrassing for Eric, but he was being nice because I was so sick. That’s what husbands do. They watch corny straight-to-TV movies when need be.

I might’ve also bribed him with scones…

IMG 5025   Vegan Royal Wedding Scones with ‘Clotted Cream’ and Strawberry Jam

Then I started thinking, well, maybe I’m not the only one who has been watching countless Royal Wedding news. Maybe I’m not the only one who has dreamed of being BFF’s with Kate or guessed how drunk Prince Harry will be at the reception. These are all things that a normal person might think about.

Yesterday, a reader named Katie asked me if I had any ideas for a healthy vegan Royal Wedding recipe. That was when I knew that there were others out there just like me! I didn’t have to hide any longer.

IMG 5010   Vegan Royal Wedding Scones with ‘Clotted Cream’ and Strawberry Jam

I thought about making traditional scones with white flour, but white flour just doesn’t leave me feeling my best when I eat it. After experimenting with so many different flours, I greatly prefer the nutty flavour of whole grains, and the energy boost that comes along with them.

So these are not your dainty traditional scones, but what better than to have nontraditional scones to go with a modern royal couple?

We are breaking traditions here my friends!

IMG 5029 2   Vegan Royal Wedding Scones with ‘Clotted Cream’ and Strawberry Jam

These delightful little scones are made with a mix whole-grain spelt flour and oat flour (that I made from processing rolled oats). I threw some frozen blueberries in at the last minute with a sprinkle of coarse Turbinado sugar and the outcome was definitely suited for royalty.

IMG 5015   Vegan Royal Wedding Scones with ‘Clotted Cream’ and Strawberry Jam

But I didn’t stop there. I whipped up a modified vegan version of clotted cream that I spotted in Vegan Yum Yum’s Cookbook. It was just the right amount of creamy sweetness to top each scone.

And of course, a dollop of strawberry jam on top and a cup of Black tea!

IMG 5029   Vegan Royal Wedding Scones with ‘Clotted Cream’ and Strawberry Jam

Ok, who wants to have a tea party with me tomorrow? :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 28, 2011

LOVE that you did a Royal Wedding post! My fiance and I are totally sucked in as well and read every bit of news we can about the event! So exciting! The scones and cream are just lovely.

Hannah April 28, 2011

Hahaaha this is so perfect for the Royal Wedding! When is the actual wedding anyway? I feel like it should have happened by now! I’m not really into it, I don’t really get the hype, but I gladly will if it means eating some delicious scones! :D

Saima April 28, 2011

it’s tommorrow 10 am GMT!! oh yeah, totally not following it! heh

Christine @ Merf In Progress April 28, 2011

Oh, man, I just can’t get into the royal wedding! I’m looking forward to seeing pictures of Kate, though. She is beautiful, and I can’t wait to see what she wears, her hair, and her jewelry.

Camilla April 28, 2011

Ahhh!!! I can’t wait! I’ve been obsessed; I <3 Will + Kate! :D

Lisa Fine April 28, 2011

Those are absolutely adorable.

I haven’t gotten sucked into the Royal Wedding, but I do get updates from my mom, and my boyfriend, who’s Australian, and who keeps me up to date with all news, especially from the Commonwealth.

cathy April 28, 2011

i haven’t watched any specials or interviews at all! but i will put on the telly at 5 a.m. tomorrow – i don’t want to be clueless about the dress, the hoopla, the ceremony etc. prince edward was always my crush!
hope you’re feeling better today, angela!

jenna April 28, 2011

I’ll come have tea with you! can we wear tiara’s? :)

i can’t wait for tomorrow! i’m dying to see the dress/crown! she will be such a gorgeous bride!! I bet she wants to pee her pants…can you imagine having to get married infront of the whole world???? scary!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

I want to pee my pants FOR her!

Alyssa April 28, 2011

Ha, ha . . .that is the best way to describe it!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 28, 2011

Oooh me please!!! I had a huge crush on Prince Will when I was younger too. I haven’t been fully sucked in by the hype yet, but I do want to watch the live stream tomorrow morning (posted it on my blog today!) mainly to see Kate’s dress!! My mum watched the straight-to-TV movie last week as well and I’m kind of wishing I had too! Enjoy your scones Ange, they’re gorgeous as always!! :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 28, 2011

I’ll be honest — I don’t get the royal wedding thing ;) But I definitely get the vegan clotted cream!

Leanne April 28, 2011

It’s like you knew I was making blueberry spelt scones tonight for a royal wedding party tomorrow! Yes, I have also been dragged into the hype (who isn’t going to wake up at 4am just to see a wedding dress?!). Don’t forget, they are taking a trip to Canada in July! Oh, and if you want really dorky, E! Online has a royal title generator, its a good time!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

Princess Angela Prudence Liddoncott :)

Gloria April 28, 2011

I’m up for a tea party! :D haha Those look delicious.

Faith @ lovelyascharged April 28, 2011

I am SO drawn into the royal wedding too! I’m definitely dying to see that movie…it’s a total infatuation!

Lauren April 28, 2011

These look so tasty! I’ve unfortunately got sucked into the hype too, I don’t know how it happened! At first I was so annoyed by how much they were talking about it on the news…then suddenly annoyance shifted into fascination…and now I can’t wait for the wedding!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

Same here. It wears you down after a while I guess!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 28, 2011

oh yum! i’m excited about the wedding but not sure if i’m going to wake up at 4am to watch it :)ii’m hoping they’ll show it again… can’t wait to see what she wears!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 28, 2011

The coverage 3 weeks in advance of the event turned me off at first… but I’m totally guilty now that it’s so close. As much as I wanted to resist… I can’t wait to see what Kate’s dress looks like! :)

Nikita April 28, 2011

I’m absolutely not the type to be interested in celebrity lives… but I find myself oddly sucked in to the royal wedding hype also! I’ve been trying to think of how to convince my husband to watch it with me lol. Maybe a sweet treat?

Tara @ trulysimplebits April 28, 2011

aw LOVE that you made scones in celebration of the wedding. great idea! I am slowly getting warped into the whole royal wedding stuff too and I will be watching in full force tomorrow. Bring it on!!

Angela April 28, 2011

That’s so funny. I am planning on making scones for the Royal Wedding as well! I couldn’t think of any particularly English mid morning foods so am having afternoon tea in the morning.

I’m not surprised you have been sucked in. By the sounds of it everywhere else in the world is in total wedding overdrive compared to here in the UK.

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 28, 2011

PERFECT TIMING!!! i shall make these and bring them to the royal couple myself!!>!. woohoo thanks for thinking of us brits!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats April 28, 2011

I am not sucked in, but I can appreciate why people get sucked in – there is something romantic and sweet about the two of them. The scones looks wonderful.

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey April 28, 2011

I’m a die-hard Anglophile, and have my DVR set to tape 11 hours of wedding coverage on Friday, on BBC America. (!!!!) My Mom and I watched Princess Diana’s wedding in ’81; and when I was 16 y/o I saw Diana in person, in London. I have always loved all things royal family, London, etc. (Hence the 2 years I spent living over there in my 20′s!)
I’m planning on getting up extra early tomorrow to see what I catch while getting ready for work. Then, this weekend – it’s DVR time! :)

~

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 28, 2011

I really can’t wait for the wedding! I live in HK, so people still feel very attached to the British royal family, and there are so many parties being held all over town.

But it’s also a love or hate kinda thing. Some people are so fed up with it, but I’m sure everyone’s a little excited on the inside :D

Ashley April 28, 2011

I’ve got the wedding set to record! I’m very excited– such a fairytale! I’m not going to be home to watch it until Sunday, so it will be a late tea party, haha. These scones look wonderful! My boyfriend loves scones with his coffee:)

Dani @ Body By Nature April 28, 2011

Gorgeous photos! Those scones are probably the only thing that would get me up at 5am to watch the royal wedding :)

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily April 28, 2011

I love it. Those scones look so tasty. Give me one of those and a cup of coffee and I’m happy camper.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 28, 2011

Ha! I’m sure Prince Harry will end up very drunk at the wedding reception…love the rebel of teh Royal family.

Katy @ A Healthy Shot April 28, 2011

Ironically, I saw this post while I’m waiting for batch #2 of scones to come out of the oven! Perfect wedding watching treat :) I made cranberry orange, but yours look delicious also!

And I’ve dragged my boyfriend into watching all of the specials, interviews, movies, etc. also, so Eric isn’t alone ;-)

Ashley April 28, 2011

You are so cute!! hahaa I haven’t seen a lick of the coverage, but now you’re kind of making me wish I did. Or, really, I just want a scone + your company. But, not while you’re sick. ;) I have never had clotted cream!

Danielle N April 28, 2011

Oh my gosh I totally have wedding fever… I can’t wait to see what Kate looks like tomorrow – hair, makeup, dress, everything! The scones look delicious and are making me really hungry for lunch :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 28, 2011

I’m not super into the royal wedding stuff, but it is kind of exciting and I’m excited to see how everything turns out tomorrow.

I do want to see the made for tv movie though — haven’t watched it yet though!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 28, 2011

I would love to have a tea party tomorrow. Tea and crumpets, and scones for all! (said with a British accent)

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 28, 2011

Can I come to your tea party?? I love scones! They’re a perfect breakie for the Royal Wedding and for Wimbledon! These look absolutely fabulous. Thanks for not forgetting about the cream. I love that you’ve done a vegan version.

Anna April 28, 2011

I got totally sucked in too!! I watched the movie, but my excuse is that I knew one of the actors in it from high school (rubbish excuse I know), and now I find myself debating whether to get up at 5am to watch it, or if I can be satisfied with DVR-ing (so long as no-one spoils the dress surprise…) Eeek!!

Jess April 28, 2011

You’re DEFINITELY not alone. ;) I’m getting up at 4:30am to stream the 5am wedding…mmhmmm…going to make something delicious for myself. Possibly these, or your Fruity Baked Oatmeal. Love it. :D

Caitie @ The Caitie Experiment April 28, 2011

I’m moderately embarrassed to admit my total fascination and excitement over the marriage of two people I don’t even know — but COME ON, I could recite William’s entire name by the time I was 12! (PWAPLMWoW would look great on an LL Bean bag, no?). I actually have a big event tomorrow night and I’m going to look horrid in all the photos, because there is NO WAY I’m NOT waking up at 4:45 so I can watch. I remember being such a zombie the entire weekend of Princess Diana’s funeral — I had to be peeled away from the tv!

Kate April 28, 2011

I am so sick of all the media coverage on it, but I do actually want to see the wedding :) Your scones look awesome! I am planning cucumber sandwiches and tea for Friday, just for fun.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' April 28, 2011

Ha, my husband and I recorded that TV movie on Will and Kate, too! Glad we’re not the only ones. :D

I totally got sucked into all the hoopla around the Royal Wedding, too! I’m so excited to watch it tonight/early morning. It’s gonna hurt to stay up that late, though. (it airs at 3am in Los Angeles!) Might need to squeeze in a nap between 11pm and 3 am!

My husband told me he wants to celebrate by eating Burger KING and Dairy QUEEN– appropriate, right? LOL ;) I think your scones sound WAY better!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

doh I should have recorded it! lol

thehealthyapron April 28, 2011

as usual, another excellent recipe I have to try!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 28, 2011

Love this recipe!!! I also am keeping up on the Royal Wedding. It is just so fascinating!! And I love Kate Middleton! She’s so classy!

Claire April 28, 2011

I literally can not wait!

I was 4 when Charles and Diana got married and can vaguely remember the wedding and the whole country being swept into a frenzy so I can not wait to see our future King marry such a gorgeous, down to earth girl.

Oh and we get a day off work for it – hooray!

I am not a massive William fan, but I do love a bit of pomp and ceremony!

Harry for King!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2011

That is so cool you get a day off work!!!

Page 1 of 41234»