Whole-Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

IMG 4746   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

Growing up, I was always taking pictures. Of everything. My love affair started with a classic pink Polaroid camera and I would save up my allowance to buy new film.

Once I got my first point and shoot digital camera, I rarely left home without it. My family would always teasingly call me, ‘the little tourist’ because I took pictures of EVERYTHING…every moment…everyone…nothing could escape my wrath!

I never expected that my love for photography would blossom into a real hobby in my adult life. Eric bought a Canon DSLR in 2007 and I was so intimidated by it, I didn’t start using it for my blog photos for over two years! Over time, he was able to convince me (and show me) the difference a professional camera (and lens) could make in a photo with the right knowledge.

Let’s take a look at comparisons of my Point and Shoot Camera (Canon Powershot SD800) vs. our Canon EOS 30D. These are unedited photos (except the very last one).

My Canon Powershot SD800 on the macro setting: (no tripod)

IMG 2287   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

Canon EOS 30D with Canon 50 mm 1.4 macro lens: (no tripod)

IMG 4750   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

Check out the colour difference!!! You may also note that the second picture is a bit blurry. That is because I was shooting without a tripod in very low light.

This is the Canon EOS 30D with Canon 50 mm 1.4 macro lens WITH A TRIPOD:

IMG 4753   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

Much more crisp!

Tripods steady the camera when shooting and result in a sharper image. Once I saw the difference a tripod makes, I never went back! Yes, tripods are a pain in the butt and it does take longer to shoot, but to me it is so worth it.

Again, this is the Canon EOS 30D with Canon 50 mm 1.4 macro lens WITH A TRIPOD:

IMG 4754   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

And because I shoot in RAW format, I edit my photos with Lightroom:

IMG 4754 2   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

All I did was make tiny increases the clarity, contrast, vibrancy, and saturation.

So why all this camera talk? Well, after my carrot loaf shoot yesterday it really hit me how much I love food photography. Nothing is better than looking on the camera screen and getting excited by the shots.

Ok, ok, it also helped that I took a nibble of this loaf and it tasted great!

IMG 4748 2   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

I kept telling myself, do not eat the slice, do not eat the slice…and then I was like ‘forget that’ and I took a bite! I think it gives the picture more character anyways. ;)

I made this loaf for our family Easter get together this weekend. Ricki says that the loaf freezes well, so after the shoot, I froze the loaf (just until the glaze froze), and then wrapped it tightly two times with plastic wrap and  placed it into an air-tight container. It should keep nice and fresh for Saturday!

IMG 4720   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

I was also amazed at how much impact something as simple as a glaze could make in a photo.

IMG 4726   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

IMG 4743 2   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

The glaze just makes the loaf look so much more interesting, doesn’t it? I also love how it drips through the rack onto the parchment.

IMG 47461   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

This is quite a dense loaf because spelt doesn’t rise much, but the nutty flavour really makes up for its short stature.

Once I drizzled the glaze over this loaf, the lemon really stole the show and I found myself almost forgetting that I was eating a carrot loaf!  If you are not a lemon fan, I’m sure you can sub almond milk (or any milk) for the lemon juice and create a traditional glaze. I’m sure the glaze would also be very good with a pinch of cinnamon in it too!

IMG 4748   Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

Our power went out last night due to a CRAZY thunderstorm, so I need to go reset all the clocks!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 20, 2011

You must’ve read my mind. I’ve been dreaming of carrot cake lately! Lovely and so delicious! Thanks Angela! xoxo

kaila @ healthy helper! April 20, 2011

I have been looking for the perfect easter recipe…..I have to look NO further!!! YUM! I love baking with carrot so this is perfect for me…..and raisins and carrot is such a great combo! YES! Can’t wait to try this!

Amanda April 20, 2011

That first picture has me craving carrot cake ;)

Freya April 20, 2011

Um ohmy – that looks so delicious! I’ve recently got in to carrot stuff (carrot oats, carrot pancakes) so that’s firmly on the list!
I can’t believe the difference between those photos – amazing! I NEED to start using my camera properly :/

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 20, 2011

The flowers are still ALIVE!!!! Looks like you’re not so bad at looking after plants after all! :) :) Carrot loaf sounds lovely, and your photos as always are gorgeous. I am still toying with the idea of getting a better camera (and based on your info, it’s totally worth it!!) but am thinking I’d like to find time for photography lessons too. It’s on my bucket list! Have a fabulous day Ange!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 20, 2011

That photo comparison is so interesting! I badly need a good camera and lens!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 20, 2011

wow !i should not have read this while hungry!…. that cake loaf looks amazingly dense!! and the glaze is just gorgeous!!!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 20, 2011

i love carrot recipes! those flowers are gorgeous, i enjoy taking pictures of all the different types too.. well i just love photography in general too :) my brother is an actual professional and i’m jealous of his equipment and fancy camera, but my cannon makes me happy for now and does a great job!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food April 20, 2011

Those flowers are gorgeous! I love anything with lemon and I am so excited to make this glaze! So simple, but I’m sure so flavorful!

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle April 20, 2011

that bread looks amazing! Girl, those photos of the flower are just gorgeous! You have such wonderful photography skills! :-)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 20, 2011

I have always loved photography, but I’ve never really known what I was doing! I am looking forward to the day I get a more advanced camera, but I also still have so much to learn just using my point and shoot! :) That reminds me to have patience with myself. I love looking at good photography like this for inspiration though. ;)

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday April 20, 2011

I love how you used olive oil in the cake. It brings a whole new dimension to it!

PB Addict April 20, 2011

I love how easy Lightroom is to use! I’m kind of the same way, having been taking pictures for as long as I can remember, but just recently ventured in the DSLR category. It’s crazy how much more vibrant the colors are even without editing.

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh April 20, 2011

I love easter season with all the carrot recipes, and this one looks especially good.

Not good that all the power went out, I hate that! I always know if something like that happened in the middle of the night because when I wake up it says 12:00, and im like…say wha?? lol

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 20, 2011

I adore anything with carrot in it!! The lemon glaze is such an unexpected touch!

Zuzia April 20, 2011

That looks so moist and yummy!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe April 20, 2011

OMG you are killing me with that glaze drizzle. That cake looks so soft and warm.

Baking 'n' Books April 20, 2011

Whoa.

That is amazing.

The picture differences and the cake ;)

Oh gosh – I am bookmarking that recipe now! Wish I seen it sooner…I baked yesterday. And I live alone so keeping stuff here leads to me eating it all. In one night. :(…any tips for dealing with that? Do you eat what you make daily? I know, I know…portions…still…

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 20, 2011

I just started taking pictures regularly in the past few years with my Sony point-and-shoot digi cams, then when I got my first DSLR (Nikon D40), I was intimidated by it, too! Now I shoot exclusively with my Canon Rebel xsi and I am still learning, but improving all the time. Food photography is fun! Especially when you have perfect lighting.

I really need a tripod. This post just reinforced that notion! I see the difference and it’s not so subtle. It’s probably why I suffer from dull images so often; my shakiness! :)

staceyhealthylife April 20, 2011

Wow yum. This would be perfect for Easter.

jenna April 20, 2011

this looks wonderful!! i’ve been craving carrot cake like crazy!

jenna April 20, 2011

what tripod do you have? do you have any suggestions on good, easy-portable one?

Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 20, 2011

Your pictures are always so gorgeous, I’m envious of your abilities and creativity :D
And thank you for the recipe, I was looking for something to make for Easter on Sunday and this is perfect!

tia April 20, 2011

I love that last picture, it looks like it belongs in a magazine :) Not to mention it’s totally making me want to whip up one of these babies!

Lovely pictures all round’ I love photography as well, I’m always bothering family members and friends asking them to let me to shoots with them lol!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) April 20, 2011

Finally, a healthy carrot loaf – yum!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 20, 2011

mmm looks so heavenly and moist! :)

That is indeed perfect for easter dinner! Thanks for sharing!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 20, 2011

yum! I’ve been working on a gluten free carrot cake loaf for a couple of weeks now, just can’t seem to get it perfect! Mine should look like yours! Looks great. I was the same way with my point and shoot when I was a kid. I was obsessed!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 20, 2011

It’s like carrot cake loaf! I’m always looking for new uses for my spelt flour.

Did you freeze it with the glaze on it? Does that hold up/still look pretty post-freeze?

Ashley April 20, 2011

I love photography! I worked as an art editor for my university’s literature journal, and studied photojournalism for a bit too! However, my love for photography is merely looking at the photos– I can’t seem to take good photos at all!
This carrot loaf looks amazing– I made carrot muffins the other morning and they sunk in the middle, so I was thinking of making a loaf instead! Now I know what I’ll be using! :)

Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life April 20, 2011

Holy yum Ange! Looks great!

tweal April 20, 2011

That is so great that you enjoy photography as much as you do – maybe it will turn into even more than a hobby for you! Photographing my creations is one of my least favourite activities and I put it off all the time. I even have a good camera and I can’t be bothered to learn about it – too boring. I’d rather be sewing ;)

Julie @ Shining From Within April 20, 2011

Mmm! I love reading all about your photography journey :)

Faith @ lovelyascharged April 20, 2011

Ah, I want a DSLR so incredibly badly! Homegirl’s gotta start saving up for new electronics for sure!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 20, 2011

Food is definitely a great model. It doesn’t blink, it doesn’t move, and it doesn’t tell you to hurry up all ready! Your love of photography has truly paid off. I love all of your pictures!

Tara @ trulysimplebits April 20, 2011

I love thunder and lightning storms!
How did you learn to use the manual features of your dslr? trial and error? I have an SLR and try to use the manual features as much as I can to learn more. I’m thinking of taking a photography class to really force me to learn the basics of manual modes. Do you always shoot in raw? Can you do some editing if you don’t shoot in raw?
Do you like lightroom better than photoshop? I’m just about to get a new photo editing program but haven’t heard a whole lot about lightroom and photoshop was always just the first one to come to my mind. Sorry for all the questions :) :)
Your pictures are beautiful every day. Have you ever considered selling prints? On etsy perhaps? I bet you would do great! Seriously!

Heather (heathers dish) April 20, 2011

Your pictures are beautiful! This cake looks absolutely decadent :)

Danica April 20, 2011

Ok, I think you finally convinced me I NEED to set my beloved point and shoot down and use my Canon Rebel that The Husband bought me for Christmas….It is just so scary with so many settings not evening thinking about other lenses LOL. I LOVE my point and shoot ;)

Oh and that cake….YUM! I think I would’ve been eating it too ~ Deliciousness!

Kelly April 20, 2011

WOW!!! Looks amazing. I love carrot cake and will definitely have to give this a try!!

Christina @ The Athletarian April 20, 2011

Carrot anything is my favourite! This looks amazing and I will probably be making it for Easter! By the way – my boyfriend made me your vegan Shepherd’s pie last weekend and it was so delicious! He knows I get all my recipes from your blog so he looked you up and found something he knew I would love for a surprise dinner :)

Lauren April 20, 2011

MMMM, that loaf looks delicious. Your photos are always so beautiful, you are quite the inspiration for newbies like myself!

kate@ahealthypassion April 20, 2011

I love carrot cake but havent had it in forever, this looks delicious perfect for easter brunch! We got thunderstorms here too but unfortunately I slept through them :( I love storms.

Page 1 of 41234»