Whole-Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze

IMG_4746

Growing up, I was always taking pictures. Of everything. My love affair started with a classic pink Polaroid camera and I would save up my allowance to buy new film.

Once I got my first point and shoot digital camera, I rarely left home without it. My family would always teasingly call me, ‘the little tourist’ because I took pictures of EVERYTHING…every moment…everyone…nothing could escape my wrath!

I never expected that my love for photography would blossom into a real hobby in my adult life. Eric bought a Canon DSLR in 2007 and I was so intimidated by it, I didn’t start using it for my blog photos for over two years! Over time, he was able to convince me (and show me) the difference a professional camera (and lens) could make in a photo with the right knowledge.

Let’s take a look at comparisons of my Point and Shoot Camera (Canon Powershot SD800) vs. our Canon EOS 30D. These are unedited photos (except the very last one).

My Canon Powershot SD800 on the macro setting: (no tripod)

IMG_2287

Canon EOS 30D with Canon 50 mm 1.4 macro lens: (no tripod)

IMG_4750

Check out the colour difference!!! You may also note that the second picture is a bit blurry. That is because I was shooting without a tripod in very low light.

This is the Canon EOS 30D with Canon 50 mm 1.4 macro lens WITH A TRIPOD:

IMG_4753

Much more crisp!

Tripods steady the camera when shooting and result in a sharper image. Once I saw the difference a tripod makes, I never went back! Yes, tripods are a pain in the butt and it does take longer to shoot, but to me it is so worth it.

Again, this is the Canon EOS 30D with Canon 50 mm 1.4 macro lens WITH A TRIPOD:

IMG_4754

And because I shoot in RAW format, I edit my photos with Lightroom:

IMG_4754-2

All I did was make tiny increases the clarity, contrast, vibrancy, and saturation.

So why all this camera talk? Well, after my carrot loaf shoot yesterday it really hit me how much I love food photography. Nothing is better than looking on the camera screen and getting excited by the shots.

Ok, ok, it also helped that I took a nibble of this loaf and it tasted great!

IMG_4748-2

I kept telling myself, do not eat the slice, do not eat the slice…and then I was like ‘forget that’ and I took a bite! I think it gives the picture more character anyways. ;)

I made this loaf for our family Easter get together this weekend. Ricki says that the loaf freezes well, so after the shoot, I froze the loaf (just until the glaze froze), and then wrapped it tightly two times with plastic wrap and  placed it into an air-tight container. It should keep nice and fresh for Saturday!

IMG_4720

I was also amazed at how much impact something as simple as a glaze could make in a photo.

IMG_4726

IMG_4743-2

The glaze just makes the loaf look so much more interesting, doesn’t it? I also love how it drips through the rack onto the parchment.

IMG_4746

This is quite a dense loaf because spelt doesn’t rise much, but the nutty flavour really makes up for its short stature.

Once I drizzled the glaze over this loaf, the lemon really stole the show and I found myself almost forgetting that I was eating a carrot loaf!  If you are not a lemon fan, I’m sure you can sub almond milk (or any milk) for the lemon juice and create a traditional glaze. I’m sure the glaze would also be very good with a pinch of cinnamon in it too!

IMG_4748

Our power went out last night due to a CRAZY thunderstorm, so I need to go reset all the clocks!

1 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 20, 2011

You must’ve read my mind. I’ve been dreaming of carrot cake lately! Lovely and so delicious! Thanks Angela! xoxo

2 kaila @ healthy helper! April 20, 2011

I have been looking for the perfect easter recipe…..I have to look NO further!!! YUM! I love baking with carrot so this is perfect for me…..and raisins and carrot is such a great combo! YES! Can’t wait to try this!

3 Amanda April 20, 2011

That first picture has me craving carrot cake ;)

4 Freya April 20, 2011

Um ohmy – that looks so delicious! I’ve recently got in to carrot stuff (carrot oats, carrot pancakes) so that’s firmly on the list!
I can’t believe the difference between those photos – amazing! I NEED to start using my camera properly :/

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 20, 2011

The flowers are still ALIVE!!!! Looks like you’re not so bad at looking after plants after all! :) :) Carrot loaf sounds lovely, and your photos as always are gorgeous. I am still toying with the idea of getting a better camera (and based on your info, it’s totally worth it!!) but am thinking I’d like to find time for photography lessons too. It’s on my bucket list! Have a fabulous day Ange!

6 Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 20, 2011

That photo comparison is so interesting! I badly need a good camera and lens!

7 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 20, 2011

wow !i should not have read this while hungry!…. that cake loaf looks amazingly dense!! and the glaze is just gorgeous!!!

8 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 20, 2011

i love carrot recipes! those flowers are gorgeous, i enjoy taking pictures of all the different types too.. well i just love photography in general too :) my brother is an actual professional and i’m jealous of his equipment and fancy camera, but my cannon makes me happy for now and does a great job!

9 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food April 20, 2011

Those flowers are gorgeous! I love anything with lemon and I am so excited to make this glaze! So simple, but I’m sure so flavorful!

10 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle April 20, 2011

that bread looks amazing! Girl, those photos of the flower are just gorgeous! You have such wonderful photography skills! :-)

11 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 20, 2011

I have always loved photography, but I’ve never really known what I was doing! I am looking forward to the day I get a more advanced camera, but I also still have so much to learn just using my point and shoot! :) That reminds me to have patience with myself. I love looking at good photography like this for inspiration though. ;)

12 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday April 20, 2011

I love how you used olive oil in the cake. It brings a whole new dimension to it!

13 PB Addict April 20, 2011

I love how easy Lightroom is to use! I’m kind of the same way, having been taking pictures for as long as I can remember, but just recently ventured in the DSLR category. It’s crazy how much more vibrant the colors are even without editing.

14 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh April 20, 2011

I love easter season with all the carrot recipes, and this one looks especially good.

Not good that all the power went out, I hate that! I always know if something like that happened in the middle of the night because when I wake up it says 12:00, and im like…say wha?? lol

15 Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 20, 2011

I adore anything with carrot in it!! The lemon glaze is such an unexpected touch!

16 Zuzia April 20, 2011

That looks so moist and yummy!

17 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe April 20, 2011

OMG you are killing me with that glaze drizzle. That cake looks so soft and warm.

18 Baking 'n' Books April 20, 2011

Whoa.

That is amazing.

The picture differences and the cake ;)

Oh gosh – I am bookmarking that recipe now! Wish I seen it sooner…I baked yesterday. And I live alone so keeping stuff here leads to me eating it all. In one night. :(…any tips for dealing with that? Do you eat what you make daily? I know, I know…portions…still…

19 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 20, 2011

I just started taking pictures regularly in the past few years with my Sony point-and-shoot digi cams, then when I got my first DSLR (Nikon D40), I was intimidated by it, too! Now I shoot exclusively with my Canon Rebel xsi and I am still learning, but improving all the time. Food photography is fun! Especially when you have perfect lighting.

I really need a tripod. This post just reinforced that notion! I see the difference and it’s not so subtle. It’s probably why I suffer from dull images so often; my shakiness! :)

20 staceyhealthylife April 20, 2011

Wow yum. This would be perfect for Easter.

21 jenna April 20, 2011

this looks wonderful!! i’ve been craving carrot cake like crazy!

22 jenna April 20, 2011

what tripod do you have? do you have any suggestions on good, easy-portable one?

23 Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 20, 2011

Your pictures are always so gorgeous, I’m envious of your abilities and creativity :D
And thank you for the recipe, I was looking for something to make for Easter on Sunday and this is perfect!

24 tia April 20, 2011

I love that last picture, it looks like it belongs in a magazine :) Not to mention it’s totally making me want to whip up one of these babies!

Lovely pictures all round’ I love photography as well, I’m always bothering family members and friends asking them to let me to shoots with them lol!

25 Pearl (Crunch and Chew) April 20, 2011

Finally, a healthy carrot loaf – yum!

26 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 20, 2011

mmm looks so heavenly and moist! :)

That is indeed perfect for easter dinner! Thanks for sharing!

27 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 20, 2011

yum! I’ve been working on a gluten free carrot cake loaf for a couple of weeks now, just can’t seem to get it perfect! Mine should look like yours! Looks great. I was the same way with my point and shoot when I was a kid. I was obsessed!

28 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 20, 2011

It’s like carrot cake loaf! I’m always looking for new uses for my spelt flour.

Did you freeze it with the glaze on it? Does that hold up/still look pretty post-freeze?

29 Ashley April 20, 2011

I love photography! I worked as an art editor for my university’s literature journal, and studied photojournalism for a bit too! However, my love for photography is merely looking at the photos– I can’t seem to take good photos at all!
This carrot loaf looks amazing– I made carrot muffins the other morning and they sunk in the middle, so I was thinking of making a loaf instead! Now I know what I’ll be using! :)

30 Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life April 20, 2011

Holy yum Ange! Looks great!

31 tweal April 20, 2011

That is so great that you enjoy photography as much as you do – maybe it will turn into even more than a hobby for you! Photographing my creations is one of my least favourite activities and I put it off all the time. I even have a good camera and I can’t be bothered to learn about it – too boring. I’d rather be sewing ;)

32 Julie @ Shining From Within April 20, 2011

Mmm! I love reading all about your photography journey :)

33 Faith @ lovelyascharged April 20, 2011

Ah, I want a DSLR so incredibly badly! Homegirl’s gotta start saving up for new electronics for sure!

34 Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 20, 2011

Food is definitely a great model. It doesn’t blink, it doesn’t move, and it doesn’t tell you to hurry up all ready! Your love of photography has truly paid off. I love all of your pictures!

35 Tara @ trulysimplebits April 20, 2011

I love thunder and lightning storms!
How did you learn to use the manual features of your dslr? trial and error? I have an SLR and try to use the manual features as much as I can to learn more. I’m thinking of taking a photography class to really force me to learn the basics of manual modes. Do you always shoot in raw? Can you do some editing if you don’t shoot in raw?
Do you like lightroom better than photoshop? I’m just about to get a new photo editing program but haven’t heard a whole lot about lightroom and photoshop was always just the first one to come to my mind. Sorry for all the questions :) :)
Your pictures are beautiful every day. Have you ever considered selling prints? On etsy perhaps? I bet you would do great! Seriously!

36 Heather (heathers dish) April 20, 2011

Your pictures are beautiful! This cake looks absolutely decadent :)

37 Danica April 20, 2011

Ok, I think you finally convinced me I NEED to set my beloved point and shoot down and use my Canon Rebel that The Husband bought me for Christmas….It is just so scary with so many settings not evening thinking about other lenses LOL. I LOVE my point and shoot ;)

Oh and that cake….YUM! I think I would’ve been eating it too ~ Deliciousness!

38 Kelly April 20, 2011

WOW!!! Looks amazing. I love carrot cake and will definitely have to give this a try!!

39 Christina @ The Athletarian April 20, 2011

Carrot anything is my favourite! This looks amazing and I will probably be making it for Easter! By the way – my boyfriend made me your vegan Shepherd’s pie last weekend and it was so delicious! He knows I get all my recipes from your blog so he looked you up and found something he knew I would love for a surprise dinner :)

40 Lauren April 20, 2011

MMMM, that loaf looks delicious. Your photos are always so beautiful, you are quite the inspiration for newbies like myself!

41 kate@ahealthypassion April 20, 2011

I love carrot cake but havent had it in forever, this looks delicious perfect for easter brunch! We got thunderstorms here too but unfortunately I slept through them :( I love storms.

42 Steph @ A Life Without Ice Cream April 20, 2011

This looks seriously yummy!! And a lemon glaze? I wouldn’t have thought of that. You’re recipes are always good at getting me to think outside of my comfort zone. Thanks!!

43 Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 20, 2011

Do you have a problem with the raw photos using up too much memory on your computer. We have a beast of a computer, so much memory, including an external hard drive. However, Brad might very well take more photos than you do and it’s leaving our computer running super sluggish. Any advice?

PS – miss you … come visit us in le big city soon!

44 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 20, 2011

This looks so amazing, thanks for another great recipe!

45 rebecca lustig April 20, 2011

oh, once passover is over, this recipe is totally happening

46 Sonia April 20, 2011

Carrot cake has to be one of my FAVORITE cakes out there. This looks amazing, especially with the image of the slow dripping glaze. Amazing. Your photos have come such a long way and have to be one of the best food photos out there. Love seeing your photos. Makes me want to eat the computer screen every time I see something yummy on your page!

I must save up for a DSLR again. . . boo. Spent that money on a rather pricey impulse buy. ^_^;;

47 Sophia @ Raven Waves April 20, 2011

Perfect Easter recipe…and I’m loving that lemon glaze! YUM!

48 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 20, 2011

That’s incredible with the difference in cameras – I have a Cannon Powershot SD version and usually end up playing with lighting the Canon program before doing a post. So neat to see what a huge impact a different camera can make!

LOVE this recipe – looks delicious!

49 Maria April 20, 2011

Wow that looks amazing! I love carrot cake- it seems to be everywhere at the moment. And the difference between those photos are amazing.

50 Jenn from Much to My Delight April 20, 2011

One of the things that stands out to me about your blog is the excellent photography. It’s evident that you take a lot of time in setting up a colorful backdrop with lots of interesting things in the background and the difference in quality is definitely noticed. I love your food photography–you’ve definitely got a knack for it!

51 Moni'sMeals April 20, 2011

perfect time to post this! I was looking for a good recipe for Easter weekend. :) Thanks!

The pictures are amazing (all of them) but on the flowers–Crisp is right!

52 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 20, 2011

Yummy! That loaf look so good! The glaze looks beautiful :) The difference in cameras is amazing. I knew there was a big difference but it’s awesome to see pictures side by side like that :)

53 Lucy @ The Sweet Touch April 20, 2011

Thank you for sharing some photography tips. I get frustrated when my product looks so great in person and my little point and shoot doesn’t do it justice. Waiting for the perfect time to invest in a fancy camera…until then I can drool over your pics:)

54 Shanna, Like Banana April 20, 2011

Those photos are shockingly different — wow! It definitely makes me want to get a better camera, but I know I’d be intimidated for some time.

The loaf looks “picture perfect”!

55 Emily April 20, 2011

Totally crazing carrot cake now! Great photos!

56 Emily April 20, 2011

Right, and by “crazing” I meant craving… Crazily.

57 Ellie@fitforthesoul April 20, 2011

Yummmmoooo!! this looks sooo delicious! So crazy that a tripod can make such a big difference!

58 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 20, 2011

Carrot cake is my absolute favourite spring treat! I think I know what I’m going to bring to my family’s Easter dinner now!

59 Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 20, 2011

Those flowers are stunning! (and so is your carrot cake loaf!) Thanks for the tips of taking pics! I may need an upgrade for my camera!

60 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather April 20, 2011

The glaze totally makes it stand out! Your photos are always amazing Angela :)

61 Jennifer @ constructing chemistry April 20, 2011

You read my mind! I have been looking for a vegan replacement for my favorite cake!

62 Angel7 April 20, 2011

That carrot cake loaf looks sooo good! The drizzled glaze makes it look even more appealing :)

I see the most amazing food photos on food blogs that make the food come to life! Many of the pictures I have seen should be in major food magazines.

63 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 20, 2011

“Once I saw the difference a tripod makes, I never went back! Yes, tripods are a pain in the butt and it does take longer to shoot, but to me it is so worth it.” – Brian kept urging me to use the tripod that we had in the attic when I first got the slr, but I resisted. Not sure why either… Then, it happened. I tried it and never looked back. The crispness is breath taking (and addicting?). I’m lusting over Averie’s trigger tripod. I think I need it ;P

“Well, after my carrot loaf shoot yesterday it really hit me how much I love food photography. Nothing is better than looking on the camera screen and getting excited by the shots.” – I always know it’s a good shot when I look at the little screen after taking a shot and I can’t stop smiling. I am so in love with photography and always was. I was totally like you! I’d save my allowance to buy film and would put all my pictures in special albums. …only now I’m wondering why I didn’t beg for a pink camera ;)

64 Lenna April 20, 2011

The carrot cake loaf looks soo tasty! I would like to make one right now, but unfortunately – non of the ingredients are in my kitchen now because of some minor renovation…but I have something to be looking forward to:)

65 Colleen April 20, 2011

That carrot cake looks incredible!!!

66 Ashley April 20, 2011

The drizzle is perfect!! Especially with it dripping down the center. I love love lemon glazes on quick breads like this. I hated using the tripod at first, but now it’s like second nature. Still slightly more annoying but so worth it! I love being able to set the f-stop around 8.0, which was something I could never do with a handheld shot!

67 Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit April 20, 2011

Oh yum! I want a big ol’ slab of this cake right now!

68 Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude April 20, 2011

carrot cake is my favorite type of cake, so I will definitely be whipping this loaf up!

and i love taking pictures, too. what i hate though is i used to use really nice equipment and now i just have a point-shoot. the lower quality makes me sad. lol

69 Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) April 20, 2011

Wow, this bread looks so yummy!

70 Amber K April 20, 2011

The glaze does make it look 10 times better! Yum!

71 Paige is Running Around Normal April 20, 2011

My dad let me borrow his tripod a long time ago, but I still haven’t used it! I really need to.
That carrot cake looks phenom!

72 Julie (A Case of the Runs) April 20, 2011

Mmm, I don’t have any spelt flour, but when I do get some, I’ll certainly try this.

73 Laura @FoodSnobSTL April 20, 2011

I’m totally going to make this for easter!

74 Barry April 20, 2011

Excellent photos, Angela. I spent a good part of my life with neck pain from carrying around an SLR and associated parapheralia. I am too lazy to do that anymore but I use a clunky Canon camera as close to SLR as I can get without crossing the line. Now I just try to point it in the right direction and let the electronics do all the work. It gives me more time to focus (no pun intended) on the nature experience. Your recipes are outstanding. Keep up your great work and thank you for your support. Much appreciated.

75 JL goes Vegan April 20, 2011

I’m new to SLR photography so I appreciate the comparison shots. I have MUCH to learn.

The cake looks wonderful. The only “baking” I’ve been doing is in the dehydrator — you’re inspiring me to get the oven going…before summer hits!

76 Caitlyn (The Spoonful of Life) April 20, 2011

I amazed by the difference in clarity when you use a tripod. My uncle bought me one but I have yet to use it regularly. You just convinced me to start using it!

77 Beth@naturallyyoursbeth April 20, 2011

All of your beautiful pictures are making me hungry for some carrot cake. I will definitely have to make this for Easter…what a perfect dessert :) and your hobby has definitely turned into a real talent…your pictures are always so great!!
Ps- I really think the nibble definitely gave this picture more character ;)

78 Annie@stronghealthyfit April 20, 2011

You’re right, the glaze does make it much prettier, and I bet much tastier too! Like a healthy carrot cake :-) Look delicious.

79 JenATX April 20, 2011

yes I agree. The carrot cake goes from “that looks good” to “drool. get in my tummy” with the addition of the glaze

80 Fallon April 20, 2011

Delicious!! I can’t wait to get back in the kitchen after seeing this recipe.

81 Lysha April 20, 2011

Great idea for easter! Thanks =)

I was wondering, do you have any advice/recipes to celebrate easter vegan-style?

82 Meg April 20, 2011

ok that carrot loaf looks legit.

dont know if i am the first and only person to say this (i dont care if i am, cause i KNOW like 80% of the people on here thought it), but, my mind is dirty. Glaze always reminds me of… something else.. haha

83 Sarah @TheExPatBride April 20, 2011

I’m always so jealous of bloggers with professional cameras! Their pictures of the simplist things are so stunning, and I can’t even figure out how to turn off the flash! They say ignorance is bliss, but my lack of photography knowledge is just blummin annoying… haha

84 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 20, 2011

Angela, I feel the same way about photography! I have gotten soooo into it in the past 4 months or so. Like I dont know what I was doing for the first almost 2 years of my blog…scared of a DSLR basically but now that i have one, the sky’s the limit and it’s my new PASSION!!!

And I have lightroom, too. Got it about a month ago, loving it..it’s SUCH a huge program though I feel like I use about 1% of the features it can do and am still slow-ish with it.. I know Kath did a post on it about 2-3 weeks ago and loved that but if you have any tips, tricks, resources that really helped you get a grasp on LR, lmk…I’m all ears!

Also, tripod. Just got one! It arrived a few days ago. Used it for a photo shoot and I realize it doesnt pan as straight down for my overhead shots as I wish. What kind of tripod do you have or any tips/tricks?

Sorry to be that pesky reader with questions in the comment field! Just so…passionate and wanting to learn!

Got together with Marla yesterday. Posted about it. We wished you were with us :)

85 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 20, 2011

Just wrote a long comment, went into moderation…probably too long. lol

86 Gail April 20, 2011

You definitely have a knack for photography that I envy. Especially your food photography. You could seriously do this professionally (in my opinion). Your food pictures rival the ones in all of my cookbooks and all the food magazines I’ve ever gotten. Who knows, maybe someday this will blossom in a wonderful, and fun career. How great would that be considering the job you left and how much you hated it and it stressed you out.

87 Jen (The Best Kitchen) April 20, 2011

Looks so delicious! Nice pics =)

88 Carly April 20, 2011

Nothing makes me happier then when you post an amazing recipe and I have all the ingredients on hand! I totally know what I am doing tonight!

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 20, 2011

:) enjoy!

90 Sara April 20, 2011

Angela, I’ve been reading your site regularly for the past few months and LOVE it. This creation looks especially delicious, and I can’t wait to try it!

91 Lauren April 20, 2011

Looks sooo good. Your photography is what makes everything look so drool worthy.

If only I could keep baked goods around my house…its too dangerous for me.

92 Kristi April 20, 2011

Hi Angela!
I’ve never written anything on your blog before but I’m a huge fan of all your baked goods and this carrot cake looks awesome! I’m writing today because I have a favour to ask you: I know that you are really good at making unhealthy recipes healthy and I was hoping you could work your magic on one of my favourite unhealthy treats. Are you familiar with Bridgehead coffee house? They make these amazing vegan granola cookies which I’m sure are full of fat and refined sugar. The problem is, they are delicious! Do you by any chance have a recipe for healthy vegan granola cookies that would be suitable for breakfast? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a million!

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 20, 2011

hmm no I am not familiar with those cookies! They do sound delicious though. I have a bunch of cookie recipes on my recipe page, some of which I think are breakfast cookies. I will have to try a granola cookie soon!

94 Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 20, 2011

The carrot cake loaf looks delicious, and the glaze really does take it over the top! Yum :)

95 megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 20, 2011

Another beautiful recipe. Cannot wait to make this once I’m back home with my oven!!

96 Reka April 20, 2011

Looks yummy!!!!!!! Thanks for posting this. I might make it this weekend, and if i do, I’ll let you know how it turned out!

97 Andrea @ Vegvacious April 20, 2011

Your photographs are really beautiful and artistic. I’ve been contemplating getting a new camera and I’ve started saving, but first I think I need to do some research and buy some books on food photography.

This loaf looks wonderfully delicious. Perfect for a warm (I hope!) Easter weekend.

98 Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily April 20, 2011

All you had to say was lemon glaze and I am in.

99 Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie April 20, 2011

This bread looks delicious and the pictures are beautiful!

100 Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple April 20, 2011

Wow, that looks really really good. I am on a no-dessert kinda thing right now. But I could make an exception for something that looks that healthy.

101 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen April 20, 2011

This looks absolutely awesome!

102 Kat @ Cupcake Kat April 20, 2011

It’s easy to tell that you have lots of experience taking photos. Your photos are beautiful! I love photography I even took a few classes for it.
This loaf sounds delicious. I hope I can make it sometime

103 marla {family fresh cooking} April 20, 2011

The glaze makes this cake fabulous! Love that shot with it dripping down the middle of the cake. Isn’t it amazing how freaky the DSLR is when you first get it. I was on auto for years without a clue as to how to work the thing. Nowadays – addicted. LOVE photography too.

104 Dalai Lina April 20, 2011

I just finally got of the”green box” and it has been amazing. Who knew what all those buttons and setting could do? It is addictive…

105 Lauri (RedHeadrecipes.com) April 20, 2011

WOW WOW WOW!! I can’t believe the difference in those pics! I Realllly want a DSLR (even though I have NO idea how to use one). Hopefully Santa will be REALLY good to me this year….. ;)

106 Char April 20, 2011

Looks soooo delicious…the flowers I mean (jk!!). Wasn’t that storm crazy??! I’m about 45 mins north of you, and the storm was crazy there too. Luckily our power didn’t go out. I love a good storm!! I really want a good camera now…I hope I can convince the hubby!

107 Brittany April 20, 2011

I love all of the camera talk. I’m going to college for photography :) It’s impressive that you use a tripod so often. I do not get along with them and avoid using one if possible haha. This carrot cake looks so delicious!

108 Barbara April 20, 2011

I have used several of your recipes that use maple syrup and they turn out great! I just use whatever organic maple syrup is the best buy. However, I did just start to notice that I am seeing recipes in a few other magazines and books that when using maple syrup, they specifically say “Grade B” organic syrup. I saw some at Trader Joe’s and it’s a little less expensive and a little lighter in color. Have you used both and do you notice a difference in taste, color or texture in any way? Can’t wait to try this recipe with the lemon glaze. Meyer lemons are plentiful at our local farmer’s market right now. Thanks too for the photography lesson. You have a really good eye for composition and your passion shows!

109 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 21, 2011

I just got a new DSLR yesterday. After seeing the differences in your shots I’m now considering buying a tripod.

110 Molly April 21, 2011

Thanks to student loans, I won’t be spending my tax refund check on a camera. I will have to envy your pictures in the meantime.

111 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 21, 2011

AWWWHH!!!! Carrot and Raisin! My fave! :D

112 thehealthyapron April 21, 2011

I absolutely adore all your recipes! I’ve tried several now and they all turn out SO well! Last night I made your vegan pizza with the roasted tomatoes and onions…DELISH! Only my vegan cheese flopped! I burnt all the sesame seeds I had, so I just used real parmesan cheese instead. That pesto was AWESOME! My husband took all the leftovers for lunch!

113 Katherine: Unemployed April 21, 2011

that post title is a mouth-full but looks delicious!

114 Catarina Batista April 21, 2011

Omg this looks so delicious! I have to make it! Is the apple cider vinegar essential though? Because it’s kind of hard to find where I live… Would another type of vinegar do or can I make it without?

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 26, 2011

I think the vinegar helps it rise, so I would not omit it. I would guess regular white vinegar would work, but im not sure.

116 Mindy April 21, 2011

Yum! Stumbled upon your blog from a comment you left elsewhere and I like it! :) I made zucchini-carrot bread last night (although I think it may be more like cake :P ) and am totally going to add the lemon glaze now. Thanks for the inspiration!

117 Mindy April 21, 2011

Yum! I stumbled upon your blog via a comment you left elsewhere and I’m liking it. :) I made zucchini-carrot bread last night (although I think it may be more like cake than bread :P ) and am totally going to add your lemon glaze now. Thanks for the inspiration!

118 Jared April 21, 2011

GORGEOUS pictures! I absolutely love carrot cake. I will be making this very soon. Thanks for sharing Angela!

119 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 21, 2011

Aaaah this looks perfect for Easter weekend! I love Sweet Freedom–so many fabulous recipes. :)

120 sarah April 22, 2011

This was soooo good! You keep me making so many new things – I just love it.

121 sandi nieto April 23, 2011

Just made THREE of the loaves!! I am just sure that HEAVEN must smell like this….mmmmm
(thanks for the recipe!!!) :)

122 Natalie @ cinnamon bums April 24, 2011

I love anything involving carrots, especially carrot cake, so this recipe is definitely a winner in my book! I will be trying it soon.

I have always loved photography too and never thought I would be studying it in college! But what’s great about photography is that it’s not only about the product-the photograph itself, but also about a new way of seeing and understanding the world!

123 Erin @ Cooking and the City April 25, 2011

I need to make this tonight!! Would you adjust the flour amount at all if using whole wheat pastry flour in place of the spelt? Also, any other suggestions for a sweetener? I am not sure if I have a full half cup of maple syrup and am looking to supplement the rest with something else…brown sugar maybe?

Thanks!

124 Allie @ sweetpotatobites April 25, 2011

Just made this for a family easter dinner and it was delicious! Will definitely be making this again (and by again I mean this weekend- hah!)

125 Beth April 25, 2011

I made this for Easter and it was THE best carrot cake I’ve ever had. You could not tell it was vegan. I didn’t tell anyone else it was, and they scarfed it down! Delicious!

126 keer May 1, 2011

I have followed your site for a while now and made a few things. highlights: pumpkin loaf with spiced butter cream and lots of other yummies i cant remember now… but i made this carrot loaf the other week for my carrot cake loving husband and he flipped.. i mean, he usually freaks out over stuff i make from your site.. ( he will taste and look up and say “oh she glows?”), but he requested this today specifically.
so about to attempt round two here and wanted to thank you for for the quality, consistency and the humour that you convey on your site.
sunday night kudos from a chicago based canadian!

127 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2011

aww thank you so much! =) Enjoy!

128 Chanel May 1, 2011

This was absolutely AMAZING! Thanks for sharing.

129 Cathy May 2, 2011

You truly rock. I am going to make this as soon as I get home from my vacation! Love that it’s whole grain and not overly sweetened.

130 Cherina May 3, 2011

Awesomeness in a loaf! I made this last night and it went down a treat. I really love the lemon zest in the mixture.
Thanks for such a wonderful and inspiring site, Angela :)

131 Masami May 6, 2012

Absolutely delicious recipe. I just baked a loaf and I’m eating it while it’s still steaming (don’t think it even needs the glaze, though that would probably take it to an even higher level of deliciousness). I’m definitely going to be making this again! Love how moist and dense the bread is. Pairs really well with non-fat greek yogurt as a spread btw. :)

132 Vidya May 12, 2012

So I’m just going to skip ahead to the recipe part. This was absolutely delicious. It came together so fast and disappeared in less than a day. You cannot break this recipe. Maple syrup is ridiculously expensive where I am (Australia) so I used 1/4 cup maple syrup and 1/4 brown sugar – I might try it with all brown sugar next time. I didn’t have flax so added a teaspoon of commercial egg replacer (just a mix of potato starch, some other starches and xanthan gum), used soy milk and very fine whole wheat flour, and skipped the walnuts and glaze. Crazily moist and rich tasting. I think the walnut would have added a little something though, I’m buying some today to give this another go.

133 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2012

glad to hear that!

134 Organic Gardens Network June 6, 2012

I love the ingredients in this recipe. It is difficult to find a wholesome recipe for carrot cake. Your photo with the glaze dripping down the sides of the bread is making my mouth water. I cannot wait to make this recipe. It will be on my list for the weekend and I know it will get eaten fast, I can tell!

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2012

I hope you like it, it’s a fav of mine

136 Lindsay July 26, 2012

Can I substitute all purpose flour or whole wheat flour for the spelt flour?

137 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2012

Hey Lindsay,

Sorry for the delay in reply – I missed your comment somehow. I havent tried subbing a different flour, but I would assume it works. I suggest reading the comments to see if anyone else tried it out. Goodluck!

138 Kristiana September 19, 2012

So I attempted to make this tonight…:( it was burnt on the outside and gooey in the inside :( I give up on cooking lol

139 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2012

Sorry to hear that! Have you tested your true oven temp recently? Sometimes that causes huge issues. You can pick up oven ther. in most kitchen stores.

140 Jenna September 27, 2012

I made this and it was soooo good! The only thing is that it did not raise llike shown in the pic. It kind of sunk a bit in the middle. Any suggestions? I didnt forget anything.

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2012

Hey Jenna, Sorry that it didn’t rise for you! I would check your baking soda to make sure it’s active (just combine a bit with vinegar and if it fizzes, it’s active). You might want to also check your oven temp. Pick up a thermometer and just made sure it’s heating at the temp it says it is. Many ovens are off by quite a bit. Hope this helps & better luck next time!

142 JOY September 29, 2012

going to try this TODAY! Can I use honey instead of the maple syrup?

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

Hey Joy, Im not too sure! Honey is thicker than maple syrup so it could impact the overall result. Let me know if you do try it out!

144 JOY September 30, 2012

Hi Angela, I did try it. it tastes fine to me. I don’t know what the one with the maple syrup is like so i have nothing to compare. Just eating another piece now and even cold it still tastes nice. Thanks!

145 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

glad to hear that it worked for you!

146 Karyn January 12, 2013

I love your recipes. I have been enjoying them for several months. I find your site is the one I keep coming back too. I made these with my 2.5 year old. He wanted to make muffins, so we put them in a muffin tin. They came out great. It was the first muffin/cake item that I gave my 10 month old too. I found them plenty sweet, so the next time we make them, I will cut back to 1/4 cup maple syrup. We try to keep the sugars low in our family. I would love any ideas you have for vegan kids snacks and kid-friendly family meals.

147 hannah January 22, 2013

ANGELA, seriously, you are my hero. I wanted to cut down on the oil (ended up using about 2TB), so I added some extra almond milk and flax, and replaced some of the maple syrup with sucanat. LET ME TELL YOU, my partner, who is by no means vegan, proclaimed this as the Best Thing Ever and practically ordered me to make it again as soon as we devoured the first loaf. And I even left off the glaze. A year ago, he would have probably choked at the idea of a vegan, spelt flour, no-real-sugar carrot cake, but today he’s gobbling up every last bit! Thanks for always providing such healthy, interesting, delicious recipes that don’t make me feel like my diet is “missing” something.

148 Chloe Janotta February 8, 2013

I just made this cake and it tastes SO good! can’t wait to have another piece for supper. :)

149 Erin May 14, 2013

Mmm! Thank you for the AMAZING RECIPE! I saw this and I knew it is the carrot cake of my dreams! I subbed apple sauce for oil, but everything else I made exactly as in the recipe. The result is soooo tasty! I already ate more than 1/4 the cake myself! The glaze is also delicious. Thank you so much! I just discovered the OSG blog last week, and I am thrilled for all of these fabulously creative vegan recipes! Thank you Angela!

150 Alexina August 24, 2013

I was wondering if you might do a post about flour? There are so many different kinds- oat flour, almond flour, all purpose, spelt flour… Are any of them interchangeable?

151 John Rullan September 25, 2013

Wow!… Thank you so much, man are we Gloowing!

152 Stella October 5, 2013

It’s cooking in the oven right now! I’m new at cooking let alone baking but your blog is making my transition to vegan so much easier! I’ve been cooking and eating your recipes and other vegan food. And just after 1month I was able to get off of my anxiety meds so thank you for your help! :)

153 Lucinda October 9, 2013

Absolutely delicious! Perfectly moist and just the right amount of sweetness (even without the glaze). Subbed an egg for the flax as I had run out. Everyone in the house loved it – even my husband, who is normally anti-carrot cake. Hard to believe it’s healthy! Thank-you for a great recipe :-)

154 Jenn November 8, 2013

What’s the best way for storing this if I don’t want to freeze it? How long should I expect it to last?

155 Jenny November 24, 2013

I have this baking in the oven right now… it smells DIVINE.

40 minutes to go! ;-)

156 Eline December 15, 2013

Hi Angela,
made the cake this afternoon with cranberry, hazelnuts and agave nectar. Delicious! Thank you for the great recipe! I’ll post it on my Dutch blog soon!

Kind regards, Eline

157 Chandni March 26, 2014

I made this today with my gluten free flour it’s the best so yummy

158 Jacqueline April 3, 2014

I made this cake just now but used cold pressed coconut oil. For the flour I used half pastry flour and half coconut flour. The batter was almost like a hard dough? Not sure if the coconut flour did it? Anyway, I ended up folding in about 1 cup of applesauce to make it a bit more workable lol. It’s not out of the over yet, but we’ll see what happens ;)

159 Chris April 12, 2014

Does anyone know if you can use another flour instead of spelt? Like almond or garbanzo? Not regular wheat or white. I just don’t have spelt and am dying to make this right now! ;)
Thanks for the input!

160 la_rahh May 11, 2014

Made this on a Sunday afternoon.
It tastes great! The lemon really elevates the typical carrot cake to the next level. I ended up subbing in dried cranberries for the raisins and it tasted great! I do recommend this and will bake again! Thanks Angela for the lovely recipe and photos!

161 Angel June 11, 2014

I tried making this carrot cake loaf and I love the way it came out.
The lemon glaze was a good addition but for some people it was too sweet.
I would actually love to see a lemon cake recipe on this website. It would be a great cake to serve guests.

162 Vivi September 13, 2014

hello! loving this recipe, will definitely try this week. One question though, is it possible to replace the flour for whole wheat/AP??

163 Meghan September 15, 2014

I just made this last night. It was so good – like, amazingly good and used up a lot of random ingredients I had laying around. Would easily be sweet enough without the glaze, but the glaze made it extra lemony and yummy.

164 Angela September 18, 2014

I made your recipe last night, and it was so crumbly. It was falling apart once you start cutting. I did sub almond meal for flax meal since I was all out. Could that be the reason?

Thanks,
Angela

165 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2014

Hey Angela, My guess is that it was the flax that was left out – it’s used for binding purposes (as it gels up in liquid). Hope you still enjoyed it nonetheless!

166 Amber Ballentine November 11, 2014

Hi Angela,

Congrats on your beautiful girl! My family has been on the journey to eat healthy food for along time. Next week is my birthday and I wanted to make a carrot cake. Have you tried any substitutions to make it gluten free?
Everything we have made from your blog and cookbook have been amazing! Thank for all of the wonderful recipes.

167 Elvisa December 6, 2014

I love this cake. It’s better than any other carrot cake I have made or eaten. But I always end up with a crack on top. I wonder why. And, btw, I love your book. All the recipes that I have made so far were a success.

168 Sina February 19, 2015

The loaf is in the oven right now. It smells wonderful in my appartment. Can’t wait to pinch a bite :-)
Thank you Angela, for so much inspiration! I’m about to purchase your book, even without being vegan!

169 Aarti March 24, 2015

That looks amazing and I love the ease of a bread pan. However, I just wanted to ask as I don’t have Spelt Flour, could I use something else? Thank you!

170 Aarti April 8, 2015

I didn’t want a runny icing and so followed your instructions; but surely those measurements are out? It definitely didn’t work for me! :(

171 Sarah August 18, 2015

I really really want to make this as carrot cake is just one of my most favorites – but I need it to be GF. Any help on what is best to replace the spelt? I have never had very good luck with this one and the internet is not helping either.

172 Jaclyn October 8, 2015

Looks awesome, can I replace the flour with wholemeal?