Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

IMG 4015   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

Despite what you may think, living with a food blogger is not always peachy! Aside from the new dishes, plentiful leftovers, and a freezer packed with goodies, there are dishes, messes, computer troubles, steep grocery bills, minor breakdowns, and taste-testings gone wrong.

Despite all of this, Eric’s biggest complaint is that I rarely make the same dish more than once! In the name of new blog content, I try to make new recipes so I have fun things to post for you guys, but in the process I often leave fabulous recipes in the dust.

So last weekend, we came up with a few favourite recipes from our past and I said I would make a couple off this list each week to bring back some classics!

Currently on our favourites list:

The Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf, which I adapted from the Clean Food Cookbook (original cookbook recipe is here), is first on the list. Last night, I set out to make the loaf once again, but I decided to add sweet potato for a fun twist.

IMG 3946   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

How can you go wrong with sweet potato? You just can’t.

IMG 3962   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

Ok, maybe there was that one time.

IMG 3992   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

For brevity’s sake, I won’t type out the entire recipe again, but I will tell you what changes I made for this version:

Modifications to Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf:

• 3/4 cup grated sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup raisins (instead of 1/4 cup)
  • Increased toasted walnuts to 1 cup (amped up the crunchy texture!)
  • Omitted carrot and apple
  • Added 1/2 tsp Italian seasonings
  • Increased thyme to 1.5 tsp
  • Added pinch of garlic powder

First version is here.

IMG 3950   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato IMG 3951   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet PotatoIMG 3956   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

IMG 3960   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato IMG 39621   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

IMG 3970   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

We usually have applesauce and sautéed greens on the side, but I was out of both, so I made a salad.

IMG 3964   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

I sprinkled romaine with Energizing Protein Power Salad, added some chopped tomato, and homemade Better than bottled balsamic vinaigrette. It was delish!

IMG 3999   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

So which version did I like better?

The first version because it held together better. Taste wise? They both taste awesome. This version had a more crunchy and chewy texture thanks to the increased raisins and walnuts.

I’m thinking about all kinds of mix-ins you could use for this recipe. I’m sure it would work with many ingredients and it would probably be amazing with fresh herbs too.

IMG 4001   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

For breakfast, I started with a super green juice blend.

IMG 3937   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

Cleansing Green Juice

• 1 apple
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 cup Dandelion (blended in after)

Instead of juicing the Dandelion, I blended it in my Vita-mix with the juice. My juicer (Breville Fountain Juice Plus) does not juice greens well and I find it to be a waste because not much juice comes out. I prefer to juice ‘worth while’ veggies only and then blend in any greens afterwards. I feel like I get more bang for my buck this way. The clean up for 2 machines is not great though so I don’t do this often!

Not long after, breakfast was calling my name from the fridge! Don’t you love it when the breakfast fairy prepares breakfast for you?

IMG 3939   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

IMG 3944   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

Yum.

Updates:

1) In case you missed it on the weekend, I have a brand new Search bar installed on the right side bar of the blog. If you have tried searching the blog before you probably were frustrated that it didn’t work well. This new one is amazing and I hope that you will be able to find things much quicker! I’m very impressed with it so far. Go check it out and give it a try!

2) My Recipes page is up to date from the past week.

3) Check out this post for a homemade & all-natural drain cleaner (only two ingredients!) that I’m loving lately.

Happy Birthday to my Best Bud Allison! She is a new mommy, a new dentist, and one of the most awesome girls I know. XO

IMG 7647   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 5, 2011

man anything with sweet potatoes + meatloaf is a winner to me! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 5, 2011

This sounds delish Ange! I loved your lentil walnut loaf at Thanksgiving and I’m pretty sure the sweet potato version would be the bomb!! I also have a habit of always making new recipes, rather than going back to my tried-and-tested, already-posted ones. I think I might revisit a few this weekend. :)

kristy @ kristyruns.com April 5, 2011

Ohhh! I love a little crunch in my oats! Looks so good!

kate@ahealthypassion April 5, 2011

I love lentil loaves and this one sounds amazing with the addition of sweet potatoes! I actually have a bunch on hand so I might have to try this out. I love sweet potato ff too but often burn them I feel like they go from raw to charred in minutes if you dont watch out haha :)

Lauren April 5, 2011

Those oats looks wonderful, I’ve been looking for a way to use up some of my strawberries!

Jessica April 5, 2011

I made this lentil loaf from your website…it is amazing….i could eat the glaze with my finger…oh wait i did…

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011

no shame ;)

Amber K April 5, 2011

That is exactly why I could never blog every day. I repeat recipes…a lot! I find a new love and then want to eat it all the time :)

I am totally going to go clean my drain! I have never been so excited to clean…but it sounds so easy!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011

it is like a mad science experiment…so much fun!

Peggy @ freshnutrition.net April 5, 2011

Was totally at a loss of what to make for dinner, with some sweet potatoes calling my name, I am now making lentil loaf! Thanks for providing me a sense of direction.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 5, 2011

I LOVED the look of the orginal loaf, and this one looks even BETTER if that’s possible!! I HAVE to make this!! :D

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe April 5, 2011

I have never tried a veggie loaf of any kind, this looks like a great one to start with!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa April 5, 2011

We love the lentil walnut loaf! It’s been a while since we have made it as well so I need to get that back in the rotation soon!

Cait's Plate April 5, 2011

YUM! I love lentils, walnuts and sweet potato individually but I’ve never thought to try them together. That’s why I love your site! So many inventive ideas!!

That’s oatmeal doesn’t look half bad either ;)

kelli April 5, 2011

what a brilliant idea to blend the greens in! thanks for sharing!!!

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 5, 2011

I’ve been meaning to make that lentil loaf for a while now. Love the addition of sweet potato!

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 5, 2011

Soooo happy about the new search bar! I had a heck of a time finding your recipe for hummus soup- I ended up having to Google it. Ha! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011

hehe I know my old search was HORRIBLE! I used to have to google my own recipes hahah

Heather (heathers dish) April 5, 2011

Oh yum, I want this for breakfast! If only I were at home to make and enjoy this instead of work… ;)

Hannah April 5, 2011

It’s so great to see what your favorite recipes are–it’s true, there are so many on here that are worth repeating on a regular basis! Eric must be very glad to have such an innovative cook in the house :D

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day April 5, 2011

I haven’t had OO in such a long time and made a batch of original for this morning. Let’s just say I woke up and was out of bed BEFORE the alarm went off :)

Baking 'n' Books April 5, 2011

I was thinking of doing up a meat-loaf the other day and remembered your lentil loaf once. I have cans of lentils but don’t know what to do with them.

I should try this :)

Julie @ Shining From Within April 5, 2011

all your juices looks so so refreshing lately! I am super obsessed with VOO right now, esp with the warm weather right around the corner. they are so refreshing and cool in the morning + all your parfait pictures give me grrr-eat ideas. love love love. I wish I could eat breakfast (OATS!!!) for every meal :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 5, 2011

Nice post with so many recipes! Those oats look delish!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 5, 2011

Great idea to go back and experiment! Both recipes sound delicious, and it’s fun to switch things up!

Where do you buy Dandelions? I can never seem to find them in the store and I’d love to try them out.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011

Whole Foods has them :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 5, 2011

That loaf looks incredible! I absolutely love the color of the sauce on top — it is so beautiful!

Megan (Running Foodie) April 5, 2011

I made the original lentil loaf for dinner last night (it’s one of my husband’s FAVORITE recipes), but I might have to make it again this week with your new changes. Yum!

faith @ lovelyascharged April 5, 2011

I’m also guilty of forgetting some of my best recipes! Of course I have some staples, but some of my favorite dishes have been one-time-only appearances :(

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 5, 2011

i am definitely going to try adding buckwheat to overnight oats! i am a huge fan of crunch and different textures, so i’m sure this will be great :)

Lauren April 5, 2011

My boyfriend has that same complaint. I’m trying to be better though. The walnut lentil loaf was one of my favorite recipes I’ve stolen from you :) And considering I have about 6 sweet potatoes lurking in my kitchen right now maybe I should try this version. P.S. I’m eaing VOOs as we speak… er, write?

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life April 5, 2011

Oh yum-looks gorgeous!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 5, 2011

So much awesome stuff in this post!!! The improved vegan loaf looks absolutely delicious!!!

Ashley April 5, 2011

If only I could cook that loaf in the toaster… :) Very funny, I had overnight oats with rolled oats + buckwheat yesterday too! First time I’ve done that combo. Loved the crunch! The colors in your photos are just outstanding…I think I need a lightroom tutorial from you!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 5, 2011

I LOVE your savory recipes!! I might make this today actually!!

Gail April 5, 2011

I use vinegar and baking soda with all of my cleaning. I usually make a solution of 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water in a spray bottle. I use that everywhere – my countertops, mirrors, appliances, windows, etc. For my floors I use a big bucket of water with some vinegar. For stubborn spots on my counters, and the soap film in my shower, I use a bunch of baking soda, then spray the vinegar mixture (I love watching and hearing it bubble), use some elbow grease, and clean it comes. I actually think this stuff works so much better than any cleaner you can get in the store, my mirrors really sparkle. It’s probably because it doesn’t leave behind a residue. And vinegar is a natural anti-bacterial. Unfortunately, my bathroom drains get that nasty biofilm, so I have to unscrew the elbow of the drain under my sink and clean that stuff out with a papertowel. I read somewhere where enzymatic cleaners will help prevent that stuff, so I’m going to try it out. Yuck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011

I use it for so many things too! I have a bottle with vinegar and water for light cleaning. I also use vinegar and water on hardwood. My goal is to switch over to 80-90% homemade cleaners this year, but I need to buy a couple things like Borax to test a couple recipes. :)

AGS @ West With Flight April 5, 2011

Borax is great — just be sure to purchase it in bulk containers. Also, my husband (who is OCD about cleaning) actually called the manufacturer of the tub we installed in our condo to find out how best to clean it. The answer: baking soda and water. Anything else is actually “too harsh.”

Gail April 6, 2011

Isn’t that interesting? I always love it when it’s something simple (and cheap) like that. If you have granite counters, you’re not supposed to use vinegar and water. I don’t know why. I think the only thing I buy at the store anymore is detergent – for my clothes and dishes. But I buy Ecover from the natural foods store. So, hopefully it’s less impacting to the environment. The enzyme cleaner I got was from the natural foods store too. I still read the label, though :0)

Aaron April 5, 2011

Mmm… I love nut loaves!! There is an excellent one I made recently from the Canadian Living Vegetarian Cookbook…delish!

Michelle April 5, 2011

Angela, I have to tell you that this vegan walnut loaf is SO SO good. Like, even my carnivore of a husband thinks it’s fantastic. I’ve made it two times and have had to hold myself back from devouring the entire thing!

Mary (what's cookin' with mary) April 5, 2011

Still no grater attachment, eh ? ;)

I love all things veggie loaf. I remember as a kid when my Mom would make us eat her walnut loaf, my brother and I would make gagging sounds… not bc it tasted nasty, but bc it looked like a huge mound of brown … stuff. Now though, I love them. I wonder why your other version held together better ? I once made Giada de Laurentes’ recipe from foodnetwork for my family and everyone loved that one too, but it does NOT hold together.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011

I think it was because I didn’t process as many lentils as I did in the first version!

Gen April 5, 2011

Yuuum! I love sweet potato in anything! :D

Moni'sMeals April 5, 2011

I love it! Is it lunch time yet, papaplease? I have still not made a “lentil loaf” but I am motivated right now, big time!

Your hair cut is adorable!

Have a great day Angela.

michaela April 5, 2011

Hi you have buy dandelion in Canada? I mean I live in Europe and we have dandelion everywhere on sidewalk it grows like weed so we have green juice and green smoothie with dandelion for free also with neetle:-)I am glad I am not myself who needs second breakfast after greenjuice. I drink 32 ounces or more and I am hungry within an hour. I am very skinny so I do not want to take any fast till noon only with green juice or smoothie.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011

hehe yes I buy organic dandelion occasionally, even though in the summer Eric says he will gladly pick me some from the yard! ;)
Fresh juice would never fill me up! My reg breakfast is always needed.

Lesley Lifting Life April 5, 2011

This looks amazing! You certainly CANNOT go wrong with sweet potatoes :)

michaela April 5, 2011

Thanks a lot. I run in the morning after green juice or smoothie so it is impossible for me not to eat breakfast I would feel dizzy.Even when I do not run I have to eat solid breakfast within an hour. I am glad I am not alone:-)

Page 1 of 3123»