Energizing Protein Power Salad

IMG 3907   Energizing Protein Power Salad

As my mom always says, Good things come to those who wait!

IMG 3926   Energizing Protein Power Salad

Because Eric was such a good sport about my April Fool’s Prank, I made him a batch of The Ultimate Oatmeal Raisin Cookie (with CHOCOLATE chips!) on Saturday. He claimed that he is ‘bringing every single cookie to work’ and he ‘just might eat all of them before lunchtime.’ ;)

20100911IMG 2878   Energizing Protein Power Salad

Eric and Steve finished ripping up the top layer of the deck yesterday.

IMG 0061   Energizing Protein Power Salad

It’s naked!

IMG 0062   Energizing Protein Power Salad

I’m a bit sad seeing the deck go because I was really attached to it, rotting wood and all.

It was a lovely backdrop for rustic food photos… ;)

IMG 1069 thumb   Energizing Protein Power Salad

[those are Maple Baked Beans in the photo]

IMG 0065   Energizing Protein Power Salad

Eric’s foot actually fell through a rotted piece of wood yesterday! Thankfully he wasn’t hurt by it, but it gave him a bit of a scare because he had a hard time getting his foot out.

IMG 0064   Energizing Protein Power Salad

For dinner, I made a huge batch of this protein-packed salad, with lots of leftovers for lunch this week!

IMG 3912   Energizing Protein Power Salad

IMG 3873   Energizing Protein Power Salad

I suggest cooking the beans/grains the night before to save some prep time. I used Buckwheat, speltberries, and red kidney beans in this recipe, but you can use pretty much any grain or bean that you prefer! Same goes for the veggies too.

After cooking the grains/beans, Mix together in a large bowl and set aside or place in fridge overnight.

IMG 3877   Energizing Protein Power Salad

In a skillet, cook the garlic, onion, and veggies of your choice. I used yellow and red peppers.

IMG 3878   Energizing Protein Power Salad

Mix the dressing together and the pour onto the veggie mixture in the skillet.

IMG 3882   Energizing Protein Power Salad IMG 3886   Energizing Protein Power Salad

Add the veggie/dressing mixture to the grains & beans and mix well. I added in the raisins and almonds at this point too, but you can also add them directly into the skillet as the veggies cook.

IMG 3891   Energizing Protein Power Salad

This salad is crunchy, chewy, soft, and just plain old fun to eat. The raisins are also a nice contrast to the tangy lemon-based dressing.

I cut down the oil by over 50% from the original recipe; if you prefer a dressing that isn’t as lemon-based, I suggest you replace some of the lemon juice with more olive oil. Next time I might even try a mixture of lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Make sure to adjust the dressing to taste and you can even get creative by adding in some fresh herbs!

IMG 3897   Energizing Protein Power Salad

By the way, thanks to everyone who gave their input on chiropractors, physical therapists, osteopaths, RMT’s, etc! I had so many helpful comments to read. I think I’m going to try a RMT and possibly an osteopath (if necessary) as my first step with the sciatic nerve issue.

My doctor also gave me a bunch of stretches to do and told me to strengthen my CORE, so it looks like I’m going to have to whip out the plank monster again! Nooooooooo. ;) Anyone want to join me as I tackle the core work again? You can see this page for exercises I will be doing.

Sarah April 4, 2011

Looks awesome and spring-y!
I know you do yoga tapes, but is there a yoga class nearby you could attend? There are a few yoga poses that would help your siatic issues-plus plank for your core.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 4, 2011

I might be doing a Yoga for Runners class that my RMT told me about!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe April 4, 2011

So colorful, it looks fantastic! Lots of interesting textures in there.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 4, 2011

I’m going to be focusing on core workouts this month so I’ll be right there with you!! The salad looks amazing. I actually just bought some buckwheat groats yesterday to try tomorrow, and I’m thinking about using them in place of morning oatmeal but I know what I’ll be doing with the extra ones! :)

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 4, 2011

This looks amazing! So colorful and hearty, yet light. Lovely!

Faith @ lovelyascharged April 4, 2011

I have a wheatberry and bean salad recipe coming up that I’m even more excited about making now after seeing how yours came out!

Reyna July 18, 2012

You don’t need to use wheat-berries; use as much gluten-free as possible!! Follow the recipes and utilize them as gluten free as possible, and you will end up with the healthiest recipe possible.

Christine @ Burning It Off April 4, 2011

I usually try to get in some core work a few times a week. Those plank-ups you have on your abs page are tough but so effective.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 4, 2011

This looks phenomenal!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life April 4, 2011

That salad looks so gorgeous!!! Yum.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 4, 2011

beautiful and colorful salad! hope you feel better soon- check out bodyrock.tv for some core workouts :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 4, 2011

You definitely made up for the prank with those cookies… yum!

I love this recipe Angela! Filling, nutritious, and awesome flavors. And I’m sure it would make great leftovers!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 4, 2011

The colors in this salad are gorgeous! I like that you reduced the oil. I bet it would be good drizzled with a balsamic reduction to help out the lemon-y taste.

I’m all about the core – I’d was doing the Whittle workout for a while and it really did help. The biggest difference I noticed was for sure from the planking.

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 4, 2011

That salad looks gorgeous (and so do those maple baked beans!)

I can’t wait to see what you’re doing to the deck — I never realized how large that deck is! How nice!

Roz April 4, 2011

Great looking salad. (and cookies) I’m looking forward to seeing the deck progress.

Rachel April 4, 2011

I am working on my core too! I’ll be pushing through these workouts with you!

Lizzie April 4, 2011

I will be joining your walk on the plank (mwah ha ha!). My core is in need of some strengthening!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 4, 2011

bahaha walk on the plank…what a GREAT title for a challenge!!!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' April 4, 2011

What a beautiful salad! I bet it would be delicious with the balsamic + lemon juice combo, too!!

I’m sorry to hear about your sciatic nerve issue. I’ve had sciatic inflammation TWICE in the past 4 years, and it is no fun!! The first time around, my doctor gave me an anti-inflammatory drug that did the trick in a matter of 2 days… which I loved at the time. However, the second time it happened, I wanted to heal it more holistically, so I did pretty much every lower-back stretch possible, and cut-out all of my workouts except for walking. Even low-impact exercise on the elliptical made my sciatic pain worse, so walking was my only option! (unless you have a mini-rebounder, which also helped me!!) Since sitting and laying down are both not beneficial to healing, I walked, and walked, and walked as much as I could– and felt all better in about a week or so. Good luck getting better!! :D

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food April 4, 2011

That is an amazing looking salad! Today I’m going to whole foods, hopefully I can make my own version there for my lunch :) They have wheatberries there now, very nice!

Ali April 4, 2011

You are such an inspiration! All of your photography and recipes are amazing! I made the buckwheat tabbouleh and no-bake date bars this weekend and both were delicious. I ate a few too many dates as I was making the bars… but oh well! I just printed this. Can’t wait to try it!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 4, 2011

Mmmm, I’ve made a similar version before with wheat berries, but adding in the beans definitely makes it even more complete. Interesting dressing combination; I love that there is no sweetener!

Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc April 4, 2011

This is absolutely gorgeous. I love colourful salads. I hope you are getting better. Ever since I started training for my half-marathon, I have been neglecting my core. I am more than happy to join you for this challenge:)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans April 4, 2011

I actually realy like core workouts. I try to mix it up but there is always some of the tried and true planks in there somewhere :)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 4, 2011

adding chocolate chips to oatmeal raisin cookies is the only way to make them right! :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 4, 2011

The protein power salad looks wonderful! Lemony dressing sounds delightful! I’m going to make a batch to eat for lunches this week :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 4, 2011

I don’t think I’ve ever had spelt berries! You always make incredible looking food, even when it is super healthy!

Heather (heathers dish) April 4, 2011

I feel healthier just looking at the pictures!

Char April 4, 2011

Whenever my husband says the word plank now, I think I give him the evil eye, just a little! Love to hate them! This salad looks amazing – thanks for posting it because I was in dire need of a nice grain/bean salad + I just bought some quinoa yesterday!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) April 4, 2011

This looks like a fabulous Spring lunch, Ange! I will definitely be trying an all-gluten-free version of it myself :)

Good luck with the deck work!

xo

Melinda April 4, 2011

This salad looks awesome – so colorful!! I love core workouts, but I’m working on my cardio this month combined with strength. I’m trying out the Insanity workout videos, and I’m having SO much fun with it; it’s perfect until I can get outside!

kirsty April 4, 2011

I really feel for you having sciatic pain, I had it a couple of years ago and had I went to a physio at a sports injury clinic who suggested an mri scan . That showed that one of my discs had broke off and had started to cakcify pressing down my sciatic nerve :( hope you get it sorted hun.
I do a lot of yoga now and that really helps sciatic problems and prevents them happening in the future
I am in for the core work… xx

lauren @ spiced plate April 4, 2011

Yum! That salad is full of things I love — I’ll have to make it soon!

JL Goes Vegan April 4, 2011

Beautiful, nutritious salad! I’m thinking I might try to sprout the beans and grains and see how this turns out as a 100% raw salad! Hmmmmm.

Christina April 4, 2011

That salad looks amazing! Great recipe for the Spring weather that’s coming :)

Oh man I would have been pretty scared if my foot went through my deck also! Good thing he wasn’t hurt. Hope you guys get the new one up and running soon, we need the wood for the rustic food pics ;)

Runeatrepeat April 4, 2011

Love all the colors of your salad! I made Ben chocolate chip cookies this weekend, but they aren’t as pretty as yours :)

Malorie April 4, 2011

What a beautiful, colorful salad. Great photos!

I convinced myself that I didn’t need lemons at the grocery store last night and now I’ll have to make an extra trip out today so I can make this. A salad like that shouldn’t wait until the weekend!

Heidi @ Food Doodles April 4, 2011

Mmm, that salad looks great! I made something similar with wheatberries that I have yet to post. They are so good and chewy! :)

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh April 4, 2011

you always make the best energizing salads :)

melissa (fitnessnyc) April 4, 2011

the salad looks delicious. Sorry to hear about the nerve issue, hope it is cleared up soon.

Shanna, Like Banana April 4, 2011

I got such a great laugh out of the April Fool’s cookie. Well played Ange ;)

I also appluad the make-up cookies =)

Hannah April 4, 2011

As always, Angela, you inspire me to take care of my body and respect it, especially after it is injured. I admire how well you take care of yourself!

Julie @ Shining From Within April 4, 2011