Working It

IMG_0007

Lazy Saturday morning in bed. Sunshine. Stretching. Fresh juice. Walk.

Sometimes the most simple weekend mornings are the most enjoyable! I only wished it lasted longer before all the work started.

IMG_3851

This juice combo was fantastic! ! It included 1 golden beet, 3 medium carrots, 1” knob ginger, 1 lemon, and 1 grapefruit. So good.

For breakfast, we were going to make pancakes, but time was ticking away and we had a lot of yard work to do so we opted for a quick breakfast. I enjoyed some Morning Glow Vegan Overnight Oats. These photos were from last summer, but I basically had the same ingredients in my bowl today.

IMG_5438_thumb

This time I crumbled half of a Berry Bliss Oat Square on top with a spoonful of Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, flax, and chia seeds. Delish and filling!

IMG_5449

We continued our morning with a walk to catch some rays. It was beautiful out today.

IMG00063-20110402-1103

And then our ‘Work-end’ began! Eric removed a big dead bush from the side of the deck and he also started ripping the top layer of the deck off.

IMG_0013

IMG_0058

The boards were so rotted they came out fairly easy!

IMG_0044

I’m so happy to have a home reno that is OUTDOORS! I don’t have to worry about all that dust! It is such a nice change and a lot less stressful.

IMG_0045

While Eric was tending to the deck, I was busy raking the dead leaves. No matter how many times we rake leaves in the Fall, there are always a ton of leaves to rake come Spring due to the forest. The leaves are never ending. I also picked up a lot of branches off the grass.

IMG_0019

When we bought the house we were warned about how much work 2 acres of land would be and we didn’t really realize it until we had to take care of it. It is a ridiculous amount of work for just two people!

I raked the leaves out of the flower bed that lines the back of the yard. I saw a bunch of tulips sprouting! Now that they aren’t smothered in leaves maybe they will grow faster. :)

IMG_0016

Lunch break!

I had two slices of Food for Life Ezekiel bread (toasted), lots of hummus + salsa spread on, and Buckwheat Tabbouleh on top. Veggies and hummus on the side.

IMG_3863

We’re in love with the Buckwheat Tabbouleh! It is almost gone and I’m very sad.

IMG_3866

For dessert- a 5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Square. Oh me oh my, these are killer.

IMG_3868

After lunch I stretched my back and then it was time to get back out there again.

IMG_0031

The great thing about having woods in the backyard? You don’t have to bag the leaves!

IMG_0042 IMG_0055

After about 6 hours of yard work, my sciatic nerve was not happy with me! I will have to do lots of stretching and soaking today. I’m hoping to get in for massage therapy early this week for some relief because it doesn’t seem to be improving. I’m also toying with the idea of seeing a chiropractor, but to be honest I’m a bit scared at the thought of back adjustments! It makes me cringe with fear just thinking about it.

By the way, Eric’s reaction to my April Fools Salty Cookies was nothing short of amazing.

He called me just before lunch yesterday and our convo went a little something like this…

Eric: ‘Hey…’

Me: ‘Hey, what’s up?’

‘Not much….Hey, I was just wondering…you know those cookies that were on the counter this morning…?’

‘Yes’

‘Were those for me….?’

‘Yup, I left them out for you to bring to work. Did you see them?’

‘I took them into work with me and just tried one now. I was starving and the guys didn’t want to go to lunch until 1:30pm. I was so happy because I remembered that I had cookies in my bag…’

[I felt so guilty when he said that!!]

‘What did you think?’

[Said very nervously] ‘I’m not trying to be mean about it, but they were honestly the worst cookies I have ever tasted…They were super salty and I had to spit them out…’

‘REALLY? I loved them! They were in the freezer for 5 months or so, but I didn’t think they would taste bad after thawing.’

‘I think they went bad in the freezer. I wondered if the cookies were intended for the garbage instead of for me to take to work.’

[me biting my hand so I didn’t BURST out laughing] ‘Oh no, I’m sorry.’

‘It’s OK….Did you put those cookies on your blog by chance….?’

‘Yea I did a while back!’

‘I hope no one made them…’

HAHA! Shortly after that I confessed that it was a prank and he was a good sport and laughed about it. He was also relieved to find out I didn’t post that recipe on the blog!!

Then he told me to watch my back…uh oh!

Page 3 of 3«123
julie September 11, 2013

Where was this beautiful house you used to live in?

Ethan Johnson April 11, 2011

Very interesting article. I have gone to chiropractic care after major accidents and now have adopted it as a part of my health maintenance. I would recommend it to anyone suffering from back pain or anyone who is just trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Halley (Blunder Construction) April 6, 2011

HAH! Just catching up with this… I love the cookie prank. How kind of Eric to be honest with you, I don’t know if my bf would have the nerve to tell me my cookies stunk, even if they really did. I finally thought of a good prank for next year: painting his finger nails while he sleeps!

Stacey Davis April 4, 2011

Laughing my head off right now. Too funny…. poor guy. Those cookies must have been awful.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite April 4, 2011

Oh my goodness, you have me cracking up over here with your prank! I love how sweet he was about trying to tell you that the cookies just weren’t good haha! Love it!

Alexis @ There She Goes April 4, 2011

Mmm, I have all of the ingredients for that juice in my fridge right now! I see an orange juice in my future tmrw :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 4, 2011

Love the April fools joke you played on Eric!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) April 3, 2011

That is an awesome prank!!!!!

Rachelle April 3, 2011

My first couple of trips to the chiropractor were downright scary with what seemed to me to be ‘violent’ popping and cracking! I actually found myself tensing in anticipation of the noise and movement. Then I discovered DNFT chiropractors and I LOVE my current chiro! DNFT stands for Directional Non Force Technique and it is amazing. It works just as well as traditional chiropractic and is achieved through gentle, directional thumb adjustments along the spine. You can learn more about it here: http://www.nonforce.com/ Maybe there’s a DNFT chiro in your area!

Kristen, Sweetly April 3, 2011

All the upkeep looks worth it, for that gorgeous land that surrounds you! It looks like it would feel so cozy. :-p Though…. that’s easy to say from this side, haha.

Desi @ The Palate Peacemaker April 3, 2011

Poor Eric! Oh my goodness, I literally laughed out loud though reading this transcript… Ah well, he’s been so lucky being the taste tester for all your culinary feats, playing such a prank on him evens out the playing field a bit… :)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day April 3, 2011

That is a lot of work for two people.. very good that you don’t have to bag everything

Angie April 3, 2011

haha such a mean April’s fool joke, but a good one.
You know in Turkey they make the groom drink a salty coffee when he goes to the girl’s parents’ house to ask for permission to marry their daugter.
If he doesn’t react it means he will be a good and a patient husband,
and depending on how much he reacts to the salty coffee,
you can figure out what a rocky marriage they will have.
Gotta love old fashion jokes! :)
Btw If you have time check out my review on gluten-free bars.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 3, 2011

Oh man, Eric’s reaction is HILARIOUS!! I literally laughed out loud!

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen April 3, 2011

HAHAHA! I love the honesty of husbands!

karyn April 3, 2011

That’s a great prank and I am totally using it next year. Just found your blog in a round a bout way from http://www.younghouselove.com and I am loving the recipes!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 3, 2011

hehe aww what a fun little joke!!

Crissie April 3, 2011

I totally laughed when I read your salty cookie story – even had to go and tell my hubby about it. I have to say – I love your blog and make SO many of your recipes! It’s one of my favorite parts of my day :)

Elizabeth @ the good life April 3, 2011

That’s my kind of prank! :) Harmless yet fun!

Annie@stronghealthyfit April 3, 2011

That IS a lot of work for 2 people! Good for you guys for tackling it.
I recommend going to a chiropractor, even though you’ll hear people say that they’re quacks and all that, in my experience they can really help you.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 3, 2011

I am amazed at the size of your property! I only wish we could have an amazing home like yours! It’s great that Eric took your prank so well and that he was concerned that you shared the recipe with all of us. If I’d done something like that to my bf he wouldn’t have said anything and got me back SO bad. haha

Sam April 3, 2011

I loved your re-creation of the phone conversation. You’re a writer.

Great prank :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn April 3, 2011

Hahaha I love your joke on Eric! I am loving the sunny weather lately, I’m glad you guys had a good “work-end”!!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 3, 2011

lol @ your convo w. eric re the cookies !!!! Poor guy! :P

Jen (The Best Kitchen) April 3, 2011

Looks like you’re working too much girl :D Your conversation with Eric was hilarious lol

Amber K April 3, 2011

I can’t even imagine that much land! It sounds like my husband’s dream, but there is no way the two of us could take care of all of that. I had a half acre growing up and my dad was constantly outside dealing with it.

Ah the date bar, truly the best recipe I have ever made from any blog. I’m going to have to make some more! (I didn change it up as I didn’t have coconut oil and I always omit salt from things, but sooo delicious!)

Moni'sMeals April 3, 2011

how adorable is Eric! What a good gag Angela. so funny!

Caitlin @ TPL April 3, 2011

BAHAHAHAH! That is hilarious, nicely done!! Very sweet of Eric to be concerned about your readers having yucky cookies though =)

Richelle April 3, 2011

Lol! That’s funny Eric didn’t catch your April fools joke right away.

nelly April 3, 2011

i should have written they are located downtown toronto…pretty far from where you are…

nelly April 3, 2011

i suffered with sciatica for almost two years…two years of constant back and forth from one specialist to another…my pain was never ending…

finally i was sent to see a chiropractor and physical therapist and both were able to help me. if you need the info, let me know, they are both located downtown. another thing you can do, which helped me a lot in the last month of my healing process, is either get eric to massage your butt with his elbow, not gently…it sounds odd, but it really worked…especially if it is your piriformis…or you can use a tennis ball and line it up against the wall with your butt and roll it around…had i gone to see both of those ladies early on i would have been so much better and it wouldn’t have taken 2 years to heal…

Cait's Plate April 3, 2011

Ahahahaha – that April Fools joke was perhaps the best I’ve ever heard! I think I need to try that on my boyfriend next year.

Also – I’ve had those date bars book-marked for what feels like forever – I HAVE to make them!! I have some dates just sitting and waiting to be used.

I made your cookie dough balls last weekend and between my boyfriend and I there were none left like 3 days later! :)

Amy April 3, 2011

Hi Angela,

I came across Oh She Glows the other day (it was linked to a recipe) and I am hooked. I have gone back to ‘the beginning’ and am catching up a little at a time. You are such an inspiration for me to get my butt moving again after a knee injury, major life changes and twenty unwanted pounds. So Thank You for sharing with us all. I hope that one day I get my glow back too.

Amy

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 3, 2011

Thanks Amy!

Stephanie April 3, 2011

Sleep, juice, sun, walk? That really is the perfect morning. Lugging all of those branches/trees looks like hard work. We’re moving in the summer and my husband is trying to convince me to buy a house on several acres of land. It kind of scares me. Because as it turns out, I’m actually sort of lazy.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 3, 2011

Haha, loved the convo! :D

Lauren Reid April 3, 2011

OMG I LOVE Eric’s response! tee hee!!!! You gottem good girl! :D

QUESTION:
I’m sooo in love w/ that orange spoon (and all the other colors you have), what kind is it? I’d love to get one!

xo
L

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 3, 2011

Crate and Barrel :) They are called Appetizer spoons I think and the colours change every season!

Lauren Reid April 3, 2011

OOOOOH! Man those C&B people know what they’re doin, huh? TY, so much, i’m trackin some down!

+ Thank you for the continued inspiration… LOOOOVE the OSG! :D xo

Ana April 3, 2011

hey Angela! i love your blog to death :) jst got some buckwheat @ the candy store (whole foods). but on the chiropractor fear its not as scary as it sounds! i go to a Precise chiropractor and it actually helps alot, my dad and I go to judo and get a good beating so its definitely a lifesaver.
p.s. you finally got me to start running again!