Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

IMG_0240

Sometimes, my photography closets (err…folders) get cluttered because I have this silly little habit of photographing everything that I cook or bake. And I rarely leave the house without bringing my camera along to snap a picture of whatever I see fit.

You don’t want to know how many photos I have on my computer. Also, please don’t tell Eric how long it’s been since I migrated my photos to my back up drive! You know, the back up drive that he bought specifically for my photographs? Yea, that would be the one.

But Spring is here, even if I look outside and see more snow than we’ve had all Winter long. In the spirit of Spring Cleaning, it’s time to clean out my photography closets and let some lost but not forgotten recipes take the stage!

But first, some dirty secrets so I can ‘clean’ the air…

• Often, I take pictures of recipes that I don’t post. Duh.
  • Frequently, said pictures get buried in Lightroom and I’m too lazy to find them. They die in Lightroom.
  • Sometimes, I eat wonderful things that never make it to the blog. Sometimes, I eat horrible things that never make it to the blog. Sometimes, I eat delicious things (but think you will hate them) that don’t make it to the blog.
  • It’s complicated.
  • Occasionally, I make a tasty dish only to forget ingredient measurements. Note to self: Find pens. Store in kitchen. Get tested for early onset Alzheimer’s.
  • Now you know why I take photographs of my ingredients. :)
  • Occasionally, I delete photos off my camera by mistake. Poof. Gone forever. Sometimes I don’t even care.
  • Once and a while, I lose a recipe (if I do manage to write it down) and then I can’t replicate it even after 3 trials. (S’more Cake In A Jars I’m looking at you!)
  • I’m sorry. I really am. I’ll keep trying.
  • Rarely, do I let a good recipe fall off my radar completely...

Lost but not forgotten recipe #1: Mango Kiwi Vegan Overnight Oats for no-brainer breakfasts.

IMG_3448

I have an OXO Mango Splitter and it helps slice out the pit in one easy motion creating two clean halves to work with. Normally, I’m not big on tools like this, but I really do use this mango pitter every single time! The added bonus is you get to chew the pit as you go!

Do you use any OXO kitchen products? I’m in love with my can opener, citrus juicer, salad spinner, Y Peeler, and of course the Mango Splitter. I tell everyone I know about OXO…their products are life changing.

IMG_3449

IMG_3451

Lost but not forgotten recipe #2: Orange Creamsicle Vegan Overnight Oats. Also for no-brainer breakfasts.

IMG_3256

IMG_3269

Normally I’m not a big fan of oranges in my oats, but this was very light and fresh tasting!

IMG_3271

Lost but not forgotten recipe #3: Cheezy Nacho Kale Chips from Averie.

IMG_3452

I never knew kale could taste this good! Just like nacho chips…only better.

IMG_3462

Lost but not forgotten recipe #4: My favourite vegan pesto using the pesto recipe from my Project Food Blog Pizza Challenge!

IMG_3466

This big bag of Pesto basil from Whole Foods works great for this.

IMG_3465

20101016IMG_6376 20101016IMG_6648

It is amazing as a sauce for pizza like I used in my Roasted Tomato, Onion, and Basil Pesto Pizza.

20101016IMG_7134

This version I made below is thicker because I cut the oil in half. If you want a more traditional pesto, use the full amount of oil, but if you want a thick spread, cut the oil in half.

It’s luxurious on bread.

IMG_3491

Just have a breath mint handy. ;)

Lost but not forgotten recipe #5: Savoury Pesto Oatmeal

IMG_3475

This Savoury Pesto Oatmeal was good, but my favourite savoury oatmeal is still my Mexican Loaded Savoury Oats

IMG_78172

I think I know what I’m making for lunch today…it has been too long!

IMG_1758

And finally, a smoothie recipe that I just can’t get enough of lately…

IMG_3575

Goji Berry Bliss Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup goji berries (or more to taste), soaked in water until soft and puffy
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 frozen banana

I was creeping in the bulk section of Whole Foods last week and I overheard a fun tip about Goji berries: Grab some Goji Berries. Soak them in water until puffy and soft. Throw them into your smoothies. The soaked berries will make the smoothie a vibrant orange or pink colour (depending on how many you use).

IMG_3577

So there you have it. My photography closets are now cleaned out and ready for a new season of delicious eats! Any recipe requests?

Now, it’s time to tackle the baskets. This could get hairy…

IMG_9979

Page 3 of 3«123
SuntFrumoasa.com February 10, 2014

Wow.. I just love your photos!

Andrea May 21, 2012

I had your Orange Creamsicle VOO for breakfast this morning and it was delicious! I wasn’t sure how I would like oranges in my oats, but it actually worked realllly well with the coconut. I used Silk coconut milk instead of almond milk to give it more coconut flavor, and the coconut cream is definately what MADE this bowl! So yummy! Thanks for introducing me to a new and unexpected flavor combo! :)

saravixen April 10, 2011

Yummy Yummy Yummy! This all looks great!
I really like your photos and I can totally imagine the overload on pictures (I often have the same problem). But please keep’em coming ;)

Brooke March 31, 2011

I just made the mango-kiwi overnight oats, but my mango was bad so I substituted goji berries. This is an awesome breakfast and I looooove the almond extract….sooo good! I have loved every recipe I have tried from this website. Keep up the great work Angela!

Katie (quick cook rice) March 31, 2011

I wanted an OXO Mango Splitter forever, finally got one, and have such difficulty using it that it now sits in my gadget drawer, sad and forgotten! Maybe it’s time to try again? The oatmeal looks delicious.

India-leigh @ aveganobsession.blogspot.com March 30, 2011

p.s The kale chips look awesome..I think I’ve used too little mixture in the past..they came out kind of flaky and not like Earth’s Kale chips…have you tried with dark choc? supposed to be sooo good.

India-leigh March 30, 2011

Yey! Thanks for writing an honest post about your blogging/photography/recipe creation. Lots of what you wrote resonated with me……sometimes taking pics of my food is like trying to pay hommage to landscape…it just doesn’t ‘get’ it. Your savoury oats looks CRAZY…in a good way. I’m making that bowl of madness as soon as I get chance! I think your photography (what you’ve shared anyway) is v.good btw.

Sam @ the neurotic yogini March 30, 2011

Mexican Loaded Savoury Oats?!?! Oh-Ma-GAHWD! MMM!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 30, 2011

I’m loving all of your recipes!!! :D I totally hear ya! I take a ton of pictures of my recipes, and some of them don’t even end up on the blog. ;) I need to go clean out my Photography Closet too! :D

AGS March 30, 2011

I thought about your project of writing a cookbook when I read this post.

I think you’ll enjoy this article — I particularly enjoyed this quote:
“You, on the other hand, actually are working on something, and it keeps evolving. You don’t like the section you just finished, and you are not sure what will happen next. When someone asks, “What are you working on?,” you stumble, because it is hard to explain. The smug guy with the beer and the cigarette? He’s a poseur and never actually writes anything. So he can practice his pat little answer endlessly, through hundreds of beers and thousands of cigarettes. Don’t be fooled: You are the winner here. When you are actually writing, and working as hard as you should be if you want to succeed, you will feel inadequate, stupid, and tired. If you don’t feel like that, then you aren’t working hard enough.

tweal March 30, 2011

I have an OXO salad spinner and I love it! Before that I had a cheapie version which never worked quite right, and had holes in the bottom so it didn’t hold water. OXO is the best.

At first I was craving mangos and now it’s pesto. I wonder how I can work that into a breakfast….

lauren @ spiced plate March 30, 2011

oh my! So many great things! I”m bookmarking this so I can try them all!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 30, 2011

All of these recipes look SO good!!! Now I want some oatmeal haha..
We too have soooo many pictures.. my husband is a photographer so they just keep coming!

Hannah @ Healthy Whip March 30, 2011

Also, the shot above really looks like Sorrento where I got married!

Leanne@Coffee&Claptrap March 30, 2011

Oooh those goji’s and mango look so sweet and juicy!

I’m also craving VOO now, I must go make :D

Rachel March 30, 2011

O.K………….This is hard to believe but I was thinking about the S’mores Cake in a Jar YESTERDAY!! I had posted a couple comments about a week and then 2 weeks after the apple cake in a jar post requesting the s’mores recipe and for some reason it crossed my mind yesterday. I thought about requesting it again but I decided it was useless since it has been so long. Coincidence?
Keep trying!! :-)

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher March 29, 2011

Love this post! Mangoes in oatmeal are DIVINE :)

candacegrace @ http://infitation.wordpress.com/ March 29, 2011

This post made me so hungry. The vegan pesto looks AMAZING. I’ll definitely be trying it out!

Caiti March 29, 2011

I just want to thank you for all your yummy recipes. I’m a “new vegan” (going on 4 weeks!) and you make being vegan SO EASY!! So Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

andilu March 29, 2011

Okay, I have been waiting & hoping for the smore & pumpkin cheesecake in a jar recipes!!! The apple one was so amazing & delicious that I made it several days in a row :) At least now I know what happened to poor mr.smores! :)

Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve March 29, 2011

I love that you put chia in everything. It’s amazing!

Michelle March 29, 2011

I have been obsessed by your blog since I found it last week! I have already made several of your recipes, and shared your site with a ton of my friends/family. I cook very similar to you- increasing nutrition, fiber, lowering fat/sugar- and you have inspired me to try new things. I haven’t been cooking a lot lately- but the past week I have had so much fun with it! Thanks for sharing all your ideas.

OSGMOM March 29, 2011

My request is a recipe for Stuffed Artichokes — I’ve been craving Artichokes lately and can’t seem to get enough of them.

janet March 29, 2011

Awesome spring cleaning, Ange! I have way too many recipes/photos in my drafts folder, but that doesn’t really bother me much. :)

Requests?! What about something with kohlrabi? :)

Vanessa March 29, 2011

I have yet to find a way to organize my photos on my computer. My Iphoto is such a mess right now. Question: I’ve seen goji berries a lot recently. What do they taste like? Can you compare them to anything? Just curious :-)

kaila@ healthy helper blog! March 29, 2011

I love this! What great recipes. I definitely forget to photograph some really delicious food sometimes and I always regret it later because describing a yummy meal isn’t as good as seeing a beautiful picture of it!

Sarah March 29, 2011

Oooh my cat loves to sit in my baskets on my bookshelves all the time. He also loves to sleep in my Vera Bradley duffel bag but not my other duffel bags…cats are strange yet adorable :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 29, 2011

Pesto oatmeal!!! That is crazy wild awesome!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2011

hahah yeaaaaaa it was good

Paige @Running Around Normal March 29, 2011

Love that picture of you! Look gorgeous :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2011

thanks Paige!

Andrea @ Vegvacious March 29, 2011

So many great recipes to try! Can’t wait to tackle the savoury oats, smoothie and pesto. I’ve only had my blog for 2 months and I have tons and tons of photos – I can’t imagine how many you must have tucked away!!

Light Delight with TouTou March 29, 2011

Pesto Oatmeal!!! just think of the names makes me drooling ! great innovation!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 29, 2011

Sometimes my pictures don’t make it onto my blog either, but it’s usually because they’re just way too ugly. :P Nomatter how hard I try, pumpkin mixed with oats and yogurt will never be photogenic haha.

Audrey March 29, 2011

Lovely photos, as always!

As for recipe requests…I vote for a vegan cheesecake that’s not too nut heavy. :)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 29, 2011

I’m mostly excited about the savory oatmeal recipes because I haven’t tried it yet! Can’t wait to give it a go! Do you have any vegan brownie recipes? with maybe low sugar? thanks!

Allison @ Food For Healing March 29, 2011

hm my comment from earlier was awaiting moderation and never got approved? Did it go to spam, whats going on?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2011

I just found your comment in my spam box, but it is now posted.