Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

IMG 02401   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

Sometimes, my photography closets (err…folders) get cluttered because I have this silly little habit of photographing everything that I cook or bake. And I rarely leave the house without bringing my camera along to snap a picture of whatever I see fit.

You don’t want to know how many photos I have on my computer. Also, please don’t tell Eric how long it’s been since I migrated my photos to my back up drive! You know, the back up drive that he bought specifically for my photographs? Yea, that would be the one.

But Spring is here, even if I look outside and see more snow than we’ve had all Winter long. In the spirit of Spring Cleaning, it’s time to clean out my photography closets and let some lost but not forgotten recipes take the stage!

But first, some dirty secrets so I can ‘clean’ the air…

• Often, I take pictures of recipes that I don’t post. Duh.
  • Frequently, said pictures get buried in Lightroom and I’m too lazy to find them. They die in Lightroom.
  • Sometimes, I eat wonderful things that never make it to the blog. Sometimes, I eat horrible things that never make it to the blog. Sometimes, I eat delicious things (but think you will hate them) that don’t make it to the blog.
  • It’s complicated.
  • Occasionally, I make a tasty dish only to forget ingredient measurements. Note to self: Find pens. Store in kitchen. Get tested for early onset Alzheimer’s.
  • Now you know why I take photographs of my ingredients. :)
  • Occasionally, I delete photos off my camera by mistake. Poof. Gone forever. Sometimes I don’t even care.
  • Once and a while, I lose a recipe (if I do manage to write it down) and then I can’t replicate it even after 3 trials. (S’more Cake In A Jars I’m looking at you!)
  • I’m sorry. I really am. I’ll keep trying.
  • Rarely, do I let a good recipe fall off my radar completely...

Lost but not forgotten recipe #1: Mango Kiwi Vegan Overnight Oats for no-brainer breakfasts.

IMG 3448   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

I have an OXO Mango Splitter and it helps slice out the pit in one easy motion creating two clean halves to work with. Normally, I’m not big on tools like this, but I really do use this mango pitter every single time! The added bonus is you get to chew the pit as you go!

Do you use any OXO kitchen products? I’m in love with my can opener, citrus juicer, salad spinner, Y Peeler, and of course the Mango Splitter. I tell everyone I know about OXO…their products are life changing.

IMG 3449   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

IMG 3451   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

Lost but not forgotten recipe #2: Orange Creamsicle Vegan Overnight Oats. Also for no-brainer breakfasts.

IMG 3256   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

IMG 3269   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

Normally I’m not a big fan of oranges in my oats, but this was very light and fresh tasting!

IMG 3271   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

Lost but not forgotten recipe #3: Cheezy Nacho Kale Chips from Averie.

IMG 3452   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

I never knew kale could taste this good! Just like nacho chips…only better.

IMG 3462   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

Lost but not forgotten recipe #4: My favourite vegan pesto using the pesto recipe from my Project Food Blog Pizza Challenge!

IMG 3466   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

This big bag of Pesto basil from Whole Foods works great for this.

IMG 3465   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

20101016IMG 6376   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets 20101016IMG 6648   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

It is amazing as a sauce for pizza like I used in my Roasted Tomato, Onion, and Basil Pesto Pizza.

20101016IMG 7134   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

This version I made below is thicker because I cut the oil in half. If you want a more traditional pesto, use the full amount of oil, but if you want a thick spread, cut the oil in half.

It’s luxurious on bread.

IMG 3491   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

Just have a breath mint handy. ;)

Lost but not forgotten recipe #5: Savoury Pesto Oatmeal

IMG 3475   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

This Savoury Pesto Oatmeal was good, but my favourite savoury oatmeal is still my Mexican Loaded Savoury Oats

IMG 78172   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

I think I know what I’m making for lunch today…it has been too long!

IMG 1758   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

And finally, a smoothie recipe that I just can’t get enough of lately…

IMG 3575   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

Goji Berry Bliss Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup goji berries (or more to taste), soaked in water until soft and puffy
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 frozen banana

I was creeping in the bulk section of Whole Foods last week and I overheard a fun tip about Goji berries: Grab some Goji Berries. Soak them in water until puffy and soft. Throw them into your smoothies. The soaked berries will make the smoothie a vibrant orange or pink colour (depending on how many you use).

IMG 3577   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

So there you have it. My photography closets are now cleaned out and ready for a new season of delicious eats! Any recipe requests?

Now, it’s time to tackle the baskets. This could get hairy…

IMG 99791   Cleaning Out My Photography Closets

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 29, 2011

Loving that savory oatmeal! I, too, have waytoo many pictures that never ‘make the cut’. They die on my computer too. Sad.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2011

we should have a burial for them :)

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com March 29, 2011

Gorgeous photography! I totally know what you mean about cleaning the photography closet! I need to get on that myself! :)

Toni March 29, 2011

this is probably one of my worst computer habits! I have zero organization when it comes to photos! :( my hubby wants to kill me most of the time!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 29, 2011

Your photography is awesome! You seriously should post everything that you make as it all look too good to be true!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) March 29, 2011

ahh im melting from deliciousness on this page! i NEED to experiment with that savory oatmeal!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe March 29, 2011

It’s the worst when something tastes soooo good but just looks too gross in pictures to blog it. I think your orange creamsicle oats sound insane!

Halley (Blunder Construction) March 29, 2011

It is such a task to file through photos and organize them. I probably take a small fraction of them compared to you, but I’m way behind! I would love to see a recipe for vegan potato salad. My mom always makes it with eggs and mayo to get that creamy taste… but I have faith in you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2011

hmm that sounds fun!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing March 29, 2011

I need to clean out my photography closet as well! I always wonder if bloggers keep every photo they take or if they delete them after uploading them to the blog. I need to start deleting!

Katie G. March 29, 2011

Great post! Yummy looking recipes! I need to do a little photo spring cleaning too! I do the same thing…my photo files are filled with good and bad pictures of food (most of which I never get around to blogging about0. And I hate when I just can’t seem to take a good picture of a delicious meal….maybe it’s time to get a better camera instead of my point-and-shoot.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 29, 2011

“Occasionally, I make a tasty dish only to forget ingredient measurements. Note to self: Find pens. Store in kitchen. Get tested for early onset Alzheimer’s. ” – I AM THE SAME WAY!! You would think putting pens in the kitchen wouldn’t be very difficult but mine always seem to disappear!! Love the idea of the savoury oats. I’ve never tried that but I bet it was delicious! Your pesto looks amazing and I think I need to make that soon too! :)

Ashley March 29, 2011

I’m glad these have surfaced, and may you other photos rest in peace.
Aw, Sketchie is such a cutie creeper.

Charlie March 29, 2011

Mango kiwi VOO must be so good! And I have to try goji berries in my smoothies :).

Carly March 29, 2011

I have the worst computer organizational skills. Ever. It doesn’t help that I have two laptops and things are scattered all over the place. Ugh, what a mess!

Ashley March 29, 2011

Still lusting over that pizza crust!!!!

Kristi @ KristiAteIt March 29, 2011

Everything here looks amazing. I’m glad they were taken out of hiding and posted! I’m drooling over that pizza.

Allison @ Food For Healing March 29, 2011

ah yes the joys of organizing and sorting through piles of photography! I know how that is, and definitely remember to use that hard drive! I always have mine backed up.
love all the lost but not forgotten photos
ps: i have my FIRST ever giveaway on my blog, eeee exciting!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 29, 2011

Hahahaha what a great pic of Sketchie!

thehealthyapron March 29, 2011

Oh thanks for all the recipes! I’m intrigued by the oranges in the oatmeal…I’ve never thought to do that!

Holly @ The Runny Egg March 29, 2011

Thanks for sharing all of these Angela — you are so creative in the kitchen is just amazes me!

You should get a camera installed in your kitchen — that way when you forget to write things down you can just go back and watch! If I did that I’d look like a chicken with my head cut off running around the kitchen like a madwoman. But it would definitely be funny.

Nicole @ Yuppie Yogini March 29, 2011

I love when Sketchie makes it on the blog. He is so adorable and quirky. As far as lost photos go, I know what you mean. My computer is full of photos that don’t make the blog for one reason or another.

Carolyn H. March 29, 2011

Savory oatmeal… Never heard of such a thing. I don’t know if I can go there, as I love my oats sweet, but the picture with the avocados and beans look delicious. I must admit though, the picture when it is all mush in the oats looks ewwww. I think I’d rather stick to the avocados, beans and salad on their own.

Lesley Lifting Life March 29, 2011

That vegan pesto looks delicious!!

Laura@keepinghealthygettingstylish March 29, 2011

I have to try the soaked goji berries again! I tried them a little while ago in a mixed berry smoothie and they were so yum! I think they would taste great with orange for some reason!

Liza Jane March 29, 2011

I’ve tried to love VOO, really I have, but I just can’t get past the mush and the temperature. Which is sad, because the Mexican style savory oats look so good until I realize that they are the taco salad version of VOO.

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove March 29, 2011

Sometimes I get embarrassed to take my camera with me and take pictures when I’m around anyone other than my family, my boyfriend, and his family. BAD blogger, BAD! Maybe I’ll get used to it if I do it more…

I love all these hidden recipes from the dungeons!!

Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude March 29, 2011

Ha ha nice. :)

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit March 29, 2011

I love kale chips. Those Cheezy Nacho Kale Chips definitely step it up a few notches! Yum!

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch March 29, 2011

That pesto looks amaze!! I’ve made pesto before with walnuts but never cashews and I love me some cashews! Adding it to my list!

Jenn from Much to My Delight March 29, 2011

Pesto in oatmeal? You are an innovator. I’m not sure I’m gonna follow your lead on that one, but I salute you nonetheless! However, I think your Tex-Mex inspired oatmeal sounds muy fantastico–I’m guessing it’d be similar to loading it all onto quinoa, which is something I do all the time.

CathyK March 29, 2011

thanks for sharing your “behind the scenes” secrets, angela! lots of surprising facts from you that i would never have guessed! (ie lost photos, forgotten photos).
that urge to spring clean is definitely in the air!
i am sooo bad about backing up files…and my photos are stored on my computer, but could so use some reorganization…
good luck with the cleaning tasks!

Amanda March 29, 2011

Angela, the vegan pesto is the BEST I have ever had – I make it almost weekly, even if I don’t make the roasted veggie pizza. I put it on everything…it’s out of control :) But is AMAZING! Can’t wait for the cookbook.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 29, 2011

Such beautiful foods–you really have a gift!

Amber K March 29, 2011

You’re such an amazing cook I’d be quite suprised if you actually had recipes that were major fails. Well, unless you woke up in the middle of the night and started throwing random crazy things in a pot. But for some reason I think even then you could make it look appealing with your awesome photog skills :)

Amy March 29, 2011

I hate it when I don’t write down a recipe and then cannot duplicate it. I am trying to get all my recipes into one organized format.
Wanted to let you know that my daughter finally got up the nerve to try your hummus recipe, she is now requesting it in her lunch daily! Have you tried making sundried tomato or red bell pepper hummus? I am going to try that. Thanks for all the great food & inspiration!

Heather (heathers dish) March 29, 2011

Oh goodness I want everything on here…

Leanne March 29, 2011

Love the kitty in the basket, too cute! P.S. I made your Pumpkin Gingerbread for a camping trip this past weekend, it was a hit! I will definitely be making this again, maybe even attempting to convert it into cupcakes. The icing might be the best I have ever had!

Jennie March 29, 2011

I love your recipes and your photos – my finished product never looks quite as beautiful. I was going to photograph my green monster this morning, but it was highly unattractive (delicious nontheless!). I would like to see some juicing recipes on your blog. I see more juicing in my future but need some creative ideas!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 29, 2011

My husband got me set up on this program called Second Copy and it ROCKS. I have it set so that every time I turn on my pc (or reboot), the program looks to see if I’ve added anything new to my ‘blog’ folder (or any folder you tell it to) and then automatically takes any new stuff and copies it to our external NAS (fancy letters for network attached storage). It’s AWESOME. Then I never have to remember to do it ! I put a link below to their site and there’s even an evaluation copy that you can test out.

Erin @ The Grass Skirt March 29, 2011

I love my mango slicer, and eating the mango off the pit is half the fun. I thought I was the only one who did that! All of these recipes look and sound amazing. I’m trying the goji berry smoothie today! :)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) March 29, 2011

Ha, almost none of the food I photograph makes it to my blog. But old habits die hard.

Your forgotten recipes look amazing though! I especially want to make that pesto!

Page 1 of 3123»