Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Happy St. Patty’s Day! wlEmoticon mug   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

I’m very happy to announce that we raised $7,234 dollars (and climbing!) for the Japan Disaster Fundraiser!! I am absolutely blown away and touched by your generosity. I never dreamed that this much money was possible in just over a day’s time. This money is going to help many in need!

I’m currently working on the Excel document for the giveaway (it’s taking me longer than planned!) and I will be sure to update this post later today when I have the winners selected, so be sure to check back.

UPDATE: The winners can be found on this page.

IMG 2904   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

To me, St. Patty’s Day is the final hurrah of comfort food for the Winter season. Spring is right around the corner (4 days, but who’s counting?), and after today, we will gradually shift to lighter fare in hopes that the weather follows suit.

We are actually being blessed with beautiful Spring weather too! I’m hoping the snow will be gone by tomorrow.

IMG 29321   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

But, today, it’s all about the warm comfort food to bid farewell to Old Man Winter.

Last night we paid tribute to our Irish roots with this delicious vegan shepherd’s pie with gravy. I wonder what our Irish relatives would think of a vegan shepherd’s pie? I’ll have to make it for them if we make it to Ireland this year! Eric was actually happy to have a vegan version because he is not a fan of ground meat, which is traditionally used in this dish.

It was not only the first time I have made a vegan version of this classic dish, but it was also the first time I have ever made a shepherd’s pie, period! It turns out that it isn’t so scary after all, unless of course you are afraid of using a knife. I’m not going to sugar coat this, this recipe requires a lot of peeling and chopping so be warned.

But, it was worth the effort, resulting in an extremely comforting and delicious dish.

IMG 2913   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

I adapted this recipe from the lovely Gena over at Choosing Raw. Her version is a bit different than mine, using mushrooms, so be sure to check out her recipe too! I didn’t have any mushrooms on hand (grocery store was out of them!), so I made do without.

IMG 2803   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Again, lots of chopping for this recipe…but keep your eye on the prize! You could always make this process go faster by using a food processor too.

IMG 2807   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Add the the oil, onion, and garlic into the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes on low heat.

IMG 2808   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy IMG 2815   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Now add in the carrots, parsnips, and celery and cook on low for about 10 minutes or so.

IMG 2816   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Make the boozy broth. It wouldn’t be a St Patty’s Day meal with out a little booze!

IMG 2820   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

After mixing the seasonings, flour, broth, and wine together in a bowl, add it into the veggie mixture and cook on medium for another 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

IMG 2829   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Meanwhile, make the mashed potatoes and set aside.

IMG 2824   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy IMG 2826   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

By this point, your veggie filling will have thickened up nicely. It shouldn’t have too much liquid in it at this point. If for some reason your mixture is dried out, you can add a bit more broth as needed.

IMG 2831   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Pour it into a 2.5 quart/2.3 litre casserole dish.

IMG 2836   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Spread mashed potatoes on top and garnish with paprika, Thyme, and black pepper.

IMG 2837   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Bake for about 35 minutes, until golden, at 425F. The veggie mixture will bubble around the edges!

IMG 2842   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

And it will be SUPER HOT, so please cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving…tongues will burn. Trust me on this one. ;)

IMG 2850   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

I highly recommend making the vegan gravy to go along with it as it complemented this dish really well.

IMG 2894   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

I think this was a good first attempt at making a vegan shepherd’s pie. When I make it next time, I might add in a layer of my ‘veggie meat’ made with mashed beans, chopped walnuts, and seasonings, similar to the one used in my taco salad. I think it would give it a great texture!

IMG 2909   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Tonight we enjoy leftovers!

IMG 2920   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

I’ll leave you with some fun Irish proverbs to kick off St. Patty’s Day…

Never bolt the door with a boiled carrot. (hahah)

Man is incomplete until he marries. After that, he is finished.

It is sweet to drink but bitter to pay for.

Don’t break your shin on a stool that is not in your way.

If you dig a grave for others, you might fall into it yourself.

May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 17, 2011

Awesome job on the fundraising!!!!

This looks like the perfect way to celebrate St. Patty’s Day!

maria @ Chasing the Now March 17, 2011

Thank you so much for the fundraiser for Japan. I am currently living in Japan and really appreciate the effort to help the people suffering over here. It’s a horrible situation.

Stacy @ Every Little Thing March 17, 2011

Awesome fundraising! You rock!

Looks like a yummy way to celebrate :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 17, 2011

Beautiful photos, as always. I’m so glad the snow is melting away!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 17, 2011

Wow, your fundraising is great! I’m so happy about the solidarity of the people, that means so much! :)

Lesley Lifting Life March 17, 2011

That’s an awesome amount of money in one day!!

The weather is getting nicer here as well, and I’m loving it :] Spring is in the air!

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com March 17, 2011

The shepherd’s pie looks amazing! I love having a veggie alternative to the traditional version. Love the proverbs! Fun! :)

Happy St. Patty’s Day!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 17, 2011

WOW. You never cease to amaze me – both with the fundraiser and with this Shepherd’s Pie!! Congratulations on absolutely SMASHING your goal Ange!! That’s fantastic! And this recipe sounds great – Bookmarked!

Emily March 17, 2011

Hi Angela,
Wow is all I have to say on the great job of raising so much money!
As a kid my mom would always make Shepherd’s pie but she would put a layer of mashed potatoes on the bottom (helps keep the center filling in place) followed by the center filling and then another layer with mashed potatoes!
Love your blog and recipes!

Keep up the amazing work

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2011

oh that is a great idea!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 17, 2011

I love those quotes! Especially this one: Man is incomplete until he marries. After that, he is finished. :)

Angela you should be so proud of your fundraising efforts! Thanks again for putting that all together. It is amazing what can be done!

jenna March 17, 2011

:) i can’t wait to make this!! I have been dying for a vegetarian version of this recipe!! it looks amazing…..as someone who doesn’tLOVE meat I love dark brown gravy!! I’m going to have to try your recipe b/c it looks perfects!!!! what a cozy dinner!

britt will be fit March 17, 2011

great job on the fundrasing!

britt will be fit March 17, 2011

opps fundraising

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 17, 2011

Congratulations on the fundraiser! It’s a mild comfort to see that some good can still come out of such a devastating situation. Thank you for putting it together. (I think my husband would actually love the shepherd’s pie!)

Moni'sMeals March 17, 2011

Angela, this is a HUGE Deal! Look at the influence you make on the world!! You should feel SO PROUD!
That is so amazing and makes my heart melt. :)

AND

So does this Vegan Shepard Pie, bless you. :) :)
Happy St. Patti’s!

Jenny March 17, 2011

This looks great! I love the amount of veggies in this:)

Lisa March 17, 2011

Did you get the special today for 40% off wheatgrass @ AmazingGrass? Good St.Patty’s present. Thank you for your fundraising efforts.

Marit March 17, 2011

Great veganizing done there!
It should be easy enough tho as there should be lots and lots of veg in this dish.
for a richer flavour you can also add chopped tomatoes (tinned) to your filling, and as a side serve warm butter beans.
I can’t have sheperds pie without butter beans… doesn’t taste right without them!
Silly question:
How do you maintain your iron levels?
I have been diagnosed as severly anemic since reducing my meat intake and they will not let me donate blood untill i’ve got it up again to what the bloodbank nurse called a “more normal, if not high, level…”.
It might seem like a silly reason to eat meat but blood donoring is very important to me…

Hugs,
Marit

PS: Are you interested in a very special full fibre super-healthy sourdough bread-recipe?
Mine is not a food-blog as such and i think it would fit better in with your stuff..

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2011

I take an iron supplement (as suggested by my doctor) and I also eat iron rich foods as much as possible, like spinach, dried fruit, lentils, etc and I try to get protein powder and non dairy milk fortified with iron too. It also helps with absorption to have your iron rich foods with vitamin C. I would suggest talking to your doctor and having some blood tests taken so he/she can determine what would be best for your body. Goodluck!

Alaina March 17, 2011

That is amazing with the fundraiser! So glad I could help out.

I love shepard’s pie; this version looks so good! :-)

Peggy @ freshnutrition.net March 17, 2011

Fantastic job on the fundraiser, and the recipe looks great too!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 17, 2011

HUGE congrats on raising that much money Angela! That’s wonderful and so impressive!!!

Loving the comfort food. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

xxoo
Heather

stephie March 17, 2011

Congrats on the amazing fundraising effort – you are such a good person :)

I make a dish similar to this quite often at home, but always add a tin of beans or lentils to the veggie mixture for protein and texture. I love the idea of serving it with vegan gravy! Yum!!

Amber K March 17, 2011

I had no idea what Shepherd’s Pie even was, but your version looks delicious!!

Baking 'n' Books March 17, 2011

Say what?! You must try! :)

Can you use Sweet potatoes? Or even cauliflower do you think? (I’ve heard of doing that before…)

Huge congrats on the Fundraising – shows your “pull” at OSG!! I feel badly for not donating HERE, but I’ve already donated twice on my own at local places, and, well…my budget is tight. That’s horrible given they have nothing, but I guess you can only do what you can.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2011

Yes I think either would work!

Thanks for your congrats and for your contributions! It all goes to the same place :)

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 17, 2011

Congrats on your amazing fundraiser!!

That Shepherd’s Pie looks to die for ~ I can’t wait to try it!

Light Delight with TouTou March 17, 2011

Yah Shepherds pie!!! I love it, and this vegan version looks even more delicious than the lamb one!

Becky M March 17, 2011

I just wanted to say that I love your blog. All the recipes that I have tried have been truly awesome. When are you going to put out a cookbook :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2011

Thank you!

Rona March 17, 2011

Angela
thank you so much for your brilliant fundraising! I consider Japan to be my second home as I lived there for a few years. Thankfully my friends are safe but it breaks my heart to see all the devastation.

Heather (heathers dish) March 17, 2011

I love shepherds pie but you really had me at gravy! Yum :)

Allison March 17, 2011

Way to go everyone on the fundraising!!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan March 17, 2011

I love Shepherd’s Pie. We’re eating it tonight. I can’t wait! :-)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day March 17, 2011

Shepard’s Pie is one of my favorite dishes! There’s something about baking mashed potatoes that is so very right! Happy Saint Patty’s Day. I’m going to go put on a green shirt now. Totally forgot until I read it here!

Charlie March 17, 2011

I LOVE shepherd’s pie but most vegetarian recipes don’t inspire me (and I don’t want to use fake meat). Yours looks soooo yummy! Need to try :).

Congrats on the fundraiser!

amber @ omnomivore March 17, 2011

saskatchewan got hit with one last hurrah of snow last night. the boyfriend is digging the car out as i type this. boo.

this recipe looks fantastic. ive always been a shepherd’s pie fan, but have never tried a vegan version. this really interests me.

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh March 17, 2011

That look so yummy! I bet its super filling! I am excited to try that gravy, because I have been looking for one. And I am SOO proud of the $ you raised for JAPAN! Your truly amazing!

Ashley March 17, 2011

I made a vegan shep pie last year and it was amazing. This looks even better! It’s not easy to make brown gravy/sauce look good in a photo but you definitely accomplished that! I love all the green decor. I am banned from buying new kitchen things for awhile, while the house stuff is draining our wallets..hehe

Kristin March 17, 2011

Angela,
I have followed your blog for the past few months and I LOVE IT! I just make your curried lentils, which were a huge hit- thank you. I am eagerly awaiting your cookbook. I am not a vegetarian, but I don’t eat sugar or flour. So your recipes are wonderful to keep my veggies interesting.

Thanks for all your hard work in doing your blog, I look forward to reading it each day.

Kristin

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2011

thanks so much!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 17, 2011

Shepherd’s pie is one of those foods from my childhood that I haven’t had in years! I forgot how much I used to love it.

Also congrats on raising so much money! That’s incredible! :D

Alexa @ Simple Eats March 17, 2011

This looks delicious! I’m always amazed how you create these veganized versions of classic meals. I would take this over regular shepherd’s pie ANY day!

Renée March 17, 2011

Wow, I haven’t had shepherd’s pie since I was a child!
Yours looks so much nicer than I remember it though! In fact, as a kid, I endearingly named my mum’s shepherd’s pie “garbage” (albeit, tasty garbage!) Yours looks nothing like garbage at all though :D

And congratulations on the fundraising!

Leilani March 17, 2011

Wow! That is awesome! I am so happy that we can make a difference!
God bless you Angela!