Spelt Berry Porridge with Granola, Dates, and Raspberries

IMG_2434

Last year, I had my first cooking attempt with wheat berries when I made the Back on Track Wheat Berry Salad.

IMG_7694_thumb

I fell head over heels.

(That is one of my favourite salads by the way!)

Wheat berries are chewy, versatile, and they pack a great nutritional punch.

And then I discovered spelt berries. I am a fan of spelt because it has a fabulous, wholesome, nutty flavour and it’s also easier for my tummy to digest. I knew I had to try some out, so naturally I bought a 25 pound bag of them.

It was do or die.

During my experimentation, I discovered a few fun things:

1) Overnight spelt berries: I soaked the spelt berries overnight in water and discovered by morning they had softened up enough to be edible- even without cooking. Lately, I have been soaking spelt berries overnight and then sprinkling them on my salads, all without having to turn on the stovetop. It is a great time saver!

I soak a big batch on the weekend and I have been enjoying them all week on my lunchtime salads.

IMG_2408

They are also fun mixed into some vegan overnight oats!

2) Great nutritional profile.

I looked up the nutritional information for both spelt berries and wheat berries.

Wheat Berries (1/4 cup, dry) Spelt Berries (1/4 cup, dry)
160 kcals
1 g fat
0 g sodium
35 g carbs
6 g fibre
5 g protein
10% Iron
150 kcals
1.5 g fat
0 g sodium
32 g carbs
4 g fibre
6 g protein
10% iron

Their profile is almost identical, with a few small differences here and there. You can’t go wrong with either wheat berries or spelt berries. I do find the flavour of spelt berries is a bit more nutty tasting though.

3) Versatility: Spelt berries (and wheat berries) can be used in all kinds of fun recipes like stuffing, porridge, pudding, rice pilafs, muffins, and more. I can’t wait to experiment more with them!

This was my first attempt at making Spelt Berry Porridge which was inspired by a Wheat Berry Pudding recipe from Eating Well. I’m also assuming that you could substitute wheatberries in this recipe below if you wanted to!

IMG_2462

IMG_2467

I just loved this Spelt Berry porridge…maybe even better than oats. It was just so chewy and really fun to eat.

IMG_2415

After cooking the berries, rinse, drain, and then transfer to the food processor.

IMG_2417

Add two tbsp of milk and pulse until you have achieved this consistency below. You still want some that are intact as they will provide a great texture in the porridge.

IMG_2420

Chopping/processing the berries allows them to get really creamy when you cook everything in the pot with the milk.

Add the processed berries and rest of the ingredients into the pot (except vanilla and maple syrup).

IMG_2428

I decided to add three bananas because the recipe makes about 4 servings. I mashed two bananas (so their flavour could soak into the porridge) and also chopped 1 banana (for texture) and stirred everything together.

IMG_2426

After 8-10 minutes of cooking on the stovetop, you will have this creamy deliciousness! Stir in your desired amount of sweetener and pure vanilla extract.

IMG_2430

Add your desired toppings and enjoy!

IMG_2455

The great thing about this recipe is that you can make a batch on the weekend and then enjoy it for a few days! To reheat, just stir in a tablespoon of milk and reheat in the microwave or on the stove top. I find that it reheats very well.

I added raspberries, dates, granola, sesame seeds, and a bit of sweetener on top and it was delish.

IMG_2464

On a sad note, my thoughts go out to those inflicted by Japan’s earthquake and Tsunami. I felt a bit silly for complaining about our snow and rain this week when I heard about what had happened. :\ It really puts things in perspective, doesn’t it?

Canadian Red Cross is accepting relief donations here.

Page 2 of 2«12
Vera January 26, 2017

Hi Angela! :) This is Vera, from Lisbon (Portugal). This was my first time with spelt berries. :) I found your recipe so inspiring, that I had to bought them and try it right away! I had this porridge for breakfast today and absolutely loved it! When cooking, there was a delicious nutty/ chocolately fragance and it was really comforting. :) Thanks for all the good ideas! :)

Angela Liddon January 26, 2017

So lovely to meet you, Vera! Thanks so much for the great comment. I’m thrilled you enjoyed the recipe!

MDV May 6, 2016

I am eating this now and it is scrummy! If you don’t have raspberries, try topping with apples. Yummers!

janet March 12, 2011

I have never tried spelt berries but I know I love wheat berries!

This is my favourite wheat berry salad recipe and I bet spelt would work well, too!

Moni'sMeals March 12, 2011

what a treat! I love your spoons too. :) I will have to try this.

You are so great to provide the link for the red cross too. So sad.

Richelle March 12, 2011

I have to try this, too bad I already made oatmeal this morning. I even have some cooked wheat berries in the fridge, so perhaps for tomorrow’s breakfast.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 12, 2011

I love how you used Spelt Berries! This sounds delicious! :D

xoxo
Kathleen

Leslie March 12, 2011

Looks delicious!! I love wheat berries so I will have to look for spelt berries next time. I might make this tonight to enjoy tomorrow morning. I also made your coconut butter yesterday, oh and some almond carob butter and omg, yum! I’ve been trying one of your recipes almost everyday for the last 2 weeks and have loved them all. Thanks!! Leslie

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) March 12, 2011

this looks delicious! ive never ever heard of spelt berries!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe March 12, 2011

This looks so good! I’ve always wondered what to do with those spelt berries I’ve seen in stores. And I didn’t really know what they’d taste like either. I love oats and this is another great addition to them!

Nicole @ Fresh&Fit March 12, 2011

Yum! I love new oat recipes!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 12, 2011

I am currently living in New Zealand and we thought the quake in Christchurch was devastating. What word even describes the level of devastation in Japan?

dep March 12, 2011

Thanks for the link/thoughts on Japan. I am devastated. We’ve had tsunami warnings here but the coastline was fairly okay. I’m just horrified and desperate for them. I find it really hard to read blogs about life when people don’t acknowledge disasters, does that make sense to anyone?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 11, 2011

I’ve never been able to find spelt or wheat berries! I’ve been wanting to try them ever since you posted that wheat berry salad!

Such sad news about the earthquake in Japan. :( All the news footage I’ve seen is so devastating!

staceyhealthylife March 11, 2011

I love new ways of enjoying creamy breakfast hot cereals. Thanks for the recipe.

Pure2raw twins March 11, 2011

This looks amazing! I am trying to get different grains into my boyfriends diet, so now I have to try this!!

Hannah March 11, 2011

Genius genius genius!! I’m not sure if I’ve veer seen spelt berries in Canberra but I haven’t really been looking, so I’ll have to call arounda few health stores :) I foresee this with white chocolate and nectarines on top in my future :)

Cara Craves... March 11, 2011

What a lovely breakfast alternative.
I love learning about news grains!

laura March 11, 2011

Great recipe, Iv never heard of spelt berries. You got a thing for raspberries lately!
Hearing about Japan was absolutley devastating, I am so thankful for not living in an area of tsunami/earthquake risk.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 11, 2011

Oh I love both spelt and wheatberries…

Jen March 11, 2011

One of my favorite vegan cafes makes a really good spelt berry salad, but I’ve never made spelt berries at home. I really should, because I’m in love with their chewy consistency. Maybe I’ll try your recipe! The picture is beautiful!

jodye @ 'scend food March 11, 2011

I’ve always loved wheat berries but have yet to try spelt berries. A nutty flavor is always a welcome addition, though. I also love the fact that I wouldn’t have to turn on the stove! I’ll have to try this porridge! The addition of raspberries is such a beautiful pop of color!

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 11, 2011

Yesss indeeed our friends in Japan need all the help and prayers possible. And even where I live in Cali, who knows what will happen? Life is so short and to be treasured every waking moment.

jenna March 11, 2011

i’m going to have to find some spelt berries. they sound delish!!

Colleen March 11, 2011

This looks phenomenal! I can’t eat gluten, but I have some GF oat groats from Cream Hill Estates (a Canadian company :) ), so I’ll have to try this with those. From your picture and description, they sound like they’d be nearly identical!

Love your site!!!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 11, 2011

I am totally trying that soak overnight trick! Another delicious looking breakfast :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 11, 2011

This looks wonderful, Angela!

I like how you called them spelt berries. Most people (I think?) in the US call them wheat berries. Because I try to avoid gluten, I havent actually ever had them but they look like something I would LOVE…sort of chewy and perfect. Mmmm, so good.

I want those raspberries, too! Oh yes please!!!

Enjoy your weekend!

Ashley @perfectleypeared March 11, 2011

Can I come over for breakfast sometime? I’ll have to fly from Arizona, but it would be worth it!! OR I’ll try making it myself! :)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 11, 2011

I am SO sad to see all the destruction in Japan. It’s just horrible. :( I keep seeing all the footage and it just breaks my heart. Those poor people !

I live in So Cal and woke up with a phone call from my MIL telling us to turn on the news around 6:45 local time. B and I hopped in the car and raced over to the cliffs over the ocean near where we live… we waited about an hour for the tsunami before leaving. SCARY.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

did you see anything?

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 11, 2011

I didn’t. We waited there until around 9 and then headed for home… Our beaches here are south facing, so I was pretty sure nothing much would happen since it was coming from the west. …but I had to see for myself.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 11, 2011

This looks lovely Ange- the colours are gorgeous! I love spelt berries too, and like you, I’ve got an enormous supply! The plan is to get cookin’ with them this weekend so maybe I’ll make this!

Catherine March 11, 2011

I must say your photography is absolutely beautiful today. Have a wonderful weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

Thanks Catherine!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 11, 2011

This looks so interesting. I’m going to have to keep my eye open for spelt berries!

Alex @ Healing Beauty March 11, 2011

That looks delicious! I have yet to try wheat berries or spelt berries but they look like they have an interesting texture which I am all for :)

Jenn March 11, 2011

This looks absolutely delicious!