Spelt Berry Porridge with Granola, Dates, and Raspberries

IMG_2434

Last year, I had my first cooking attempt with wheat berries when I made the Back on Track Wheat Berry Salad.

IMG_7694_thumb

I fell head over heels.

(That is one of my favourite salads by the way!)

Wheat berries are chewy, versatile, and they pack a great nutritional punch.

And then I discovered spelt berries. I am a fan of spelt because it has a fabulous, wholesome, nutty flavour and it’s also easier for my tummy to digest. I knew I had to try some out, so naturally I bought a 25 pound bag of them.

It was do or die.

During my experimentation, I discovered a few fun things:

1) Overnight spelt berries: I soaked the spelt berries overnight in water and discovered by morning they had softened up enough to be edible- even without cooking. Lately, I have been soaking spelt berries overnight and then sprinkling them on my salads, all without having to turn on the stovetop. It is a great time saver!

I soak a big batch on the weekend and I have been enjoying them all week on my lunchtime salads.

IMG_2408

They are also fun mixed into some vegan overnight oats!

2) Great nutritional profile.

I looked up the nutritional information for both spelt berries and wheat berries.

Wheat Berries (1/4 cup, dry) Spelt Berries (1/4 cup, dry)
160 kcals
1 g fat
0 g sodium
35 g carbs
6 g fibre
5 g protein
10% Iron
150 kcals
1.5 g fat
0 g sodium
32 g carbs
4 g fibre
6 g protein
10% iron

Their profile is almost identical, with a few small differences here and there. You can’t go wrong with either wheat berries or spelt berries. I do find the flavour of spelt berries is a bit more nutty tasting though.

3) Versatility: Spelt berries (and wheat berries) can be used in all kinds of fun recipes like stuffing, porridge, pudding, rice pilafs, muffins, and more. I can’t wait to experiment more with them!

This was my first attempt at making Spelt Berry Porridge which was inspired by a Wheat Berry Pudding recipe from Eating Well. I’m also assuming that you could substitute wheatberries in this recipe below if you wanted to!

IMG_2462

IMG_2467

I just loved this Spelt Berry porridge…maybe even better than oats. It was just so chewy and really fun to eat.

IMG_2415

After cooking the berries, rinse, drain, and then transfer to the food processor.

IMG_2417

Add two tbsp of milk and pulse until you have achieved this consistency below. You still want some that are intact as they will provide a great texture in the porridge.

IMG_2420

Chopping/processing the berries allows them to get really creamy when you cook everything in the pot with the milk.

Add the processed berries and rest of the ingredients into the pot (except vanilla and maple syrup).

IMG_2428

I decided to add three bananas because the recipe makes about 4 servings. I mashed two bananas (so their flavour could soak into the porridge) and also chopped 1 banana (for texture) and stirred everything together.

IMG_2426

After 8-10 minutes of cooking on the stovetop, you will have this creamy deliciousness! Stir in your desired amount of sweetener and pure vanilla extract.

IMG_2430

Add your desired toppings and enjoy!

IMG_2455

The great thing about this recipe is that you can make a batch on the weekend and then enjoy it for a few days! To reheat, just stir in a tablespoon of milk and reheat in the microwave or on the stove top. I find that it reheats very well.

I added raspberries, dates, granola, sesame seeds, and a bit of sweetener on top and it was delish.

IMG_2464

On a sad note, my thoughts go out to those inflicted by Japan’s earthquake and Tsunami. I felt a bit silly for complaining about our snow and rain this week when I heard about what had happened. :\ It really puts things in perspective, doesn’t it?

Canadian Red Cross is accepting relief donations here.

1 Leanne March 11, 2011

Thank you for the link to the canadian red cross :)

2 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 11, 2011

Spelt berries? I don’t know where I thought spelt flour came from, but I didn’t know there was such a thing as spelt berries! The iron and protein in these are awesome. I’m always trying to get more of both.

Speaking of iron and Red Cross donations…

Even if you can’t make a financial donation, they always need blood! With the bad weather this winter, the blood banks are running low. Eat some iron-rich food (spelt berries!) beforehand because you can’t donate if your iron is too low (common for those that don’t eat red meat).

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

That is a great point about blood donations! Thank you :)

4 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 11, 2011

Those raspberries are the most beautiful color I have ever seen!!!

5 Allison @ Food For Healing March 11, 2011

i hear about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan this morning on my way to work. wow how terrible, definitely makes you appreciate where you are, even with a little cold weather and snow hey. My thought are with everyone there. I’m just waiting to hear if anything more happens in Hawaii or BC since they have warnings as well.

on a happier note, those raspberries look so delicious!

6 Meredith March 11, 2011

Thanks for the introduction to spelt berries! I really appreciate when you do that sort of research and share it with us:)

The images coming out of Japan this morning were the most terrifying I have ever seen. I never imagined destruction of that scale happening so quickly.

7 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) March 11, 2011

this looks tasty! plus anything with dates, granola, and raspberries (just a few of my favoriteee things!) will no doubt be delicious!

8 Judy March 11, 2011

I love all your recipes Angela! I just cooked with spelt flour last night for the first time!

Do you happen to know a good replacement for bananas? For some reason since birth I cannot stand bananas. I have tried to like them, but I just cant! So many recipes call for bananas and I sometimes use applesauce.

I wish I liked them! It is much harder to be vegan when you cant stand the taste of bananas!

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

Thanks Judy!

I have seen some people use pears with good results in their oatmeal…maybe that would work?
Or you could try pureed dates for some natural sweetener. Maybe some other readers have suggestions too!

10 Gina March 11, 2011

I’ve seen applesauce used as well :)

11 melissa March 11, 2011

looks amazing, you should open a spa!

12 Jenny March 11, 2011

I love your breakfast recipes! i have to try spelt berried…soaking would be so much easier!

13 Ashley March 11, 2011

That reminds me of the texture when I made Scottish oats, which are just the oat ground ground up. I’m extremely jealous of your bright natural light!!!! :) Photos look awesome! xo

14 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 11, 2011

I was thinking the same thing! I have to take things onto our little balcony to get anything close to that, haha :) Gorgeous photos!

15 Julie @ Shining From Within March 11, 2011

This is such a good idea! I’ve been looking for ways to change up my regular ‘ol oats =)

16 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 11, 2011

This looks delicious Angela — you always have such creative breakfasts!

I heard about the tsunami and earthquake this morning – how terrifying! Thanks for linking the Red Cross.

17 Kelsey March 11, 2011

Wow I’m SO intrigued by wheat berries and spelt berries! I love your idea of soaking them overnight, too. I’m all about shortcuts! :) Definitely bookmarked.

18 BrightBakes March 11, 2011

wow…eye candy! As much as I love oats…I’m always on the lookout for other inventive porridge ideas…this is a must-try.
Your recipes/photos are simply stunning, angela.
Beautiful.
love,
cathy b.

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

Thanks Cathy :)

20 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 11, 2011

Would love to try it with wheat berries… love them!

21 Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey March 11, 2011

this recipe looks really fun and delicious! I like how you’ve been eating them after simply soaking them. That keeps them raw, too! Sprouted wheatberries are awesome… I wonder if it would work with spelt.

22 Alaina March 11, 2011

Oh, those oats look so good!! I love your photography Angela. I feel like I can taste and smell your food right through the computer. :-)

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

aww thanks!

24 lauren @ spiced plate March 11, 2011

this looks like such a wholesome dish! I’m gluten free but know some gluten – intollerant folks who can have spelt…I need to get the courage to try it!

25 faith @ lovelyascharged March 11, 2011

I’m a huge fan of chewy grain breakfasts. Barley is awesome with fruit and nuts…is the texture of soaked spelt berries much different?

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

I don’t know if I have ever had barley some to think of it!

27 Meredith March 11, 2011

What about those fab barley risottos of yours?

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

Ah duh, yes I have had it, in fact last night! LOL

I was thinking of buckwheat groats for some reason.

The texture is VERY similar to answer the original question!

29 Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh March 11, 2011

I just made ur wheatberry salad a few days agon I loved it! I can’t wait to try this! I need some raspberries..for this as well as ur cupcakes :)

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

Glad you liked it! :) I need to make it again soon.

31 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 11, 2011

That salad looks so amazing, and so packed full of nutrients!

32 Michelle | gold-hearted girl March 11, 2011

Your wheatberry salad looks divine!

33 Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 11, 2011

This looks delicious. The raspberries add gorgeous color.

34 Nikki T March 11, 2011

It really does put things into perspective doesn’t it…
I’ve been complaining about the snow in Alberta for weeks now…when will winter ever end!?
But now I think, we are so lucky, not to be worried about natural disasters like earthquakes and tsunamis…

On a more positive note, I must look into these spelt berries you speak of…..!

35 Sam (the neurotic yogini) March 11, 2011

Anything with berries that pretty has got to be tasty! MMM!

36 Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 11, 2011

I’ve never had spelt berries, but this porridge looks delicious! I’m trying to try branch out and have different hot breakfast cereals other than oats for breakfast. I’ll definitely put this on my list!

37 Gina March 11, 2011

Delicious recipe! I wish spelt berries were GF, they look like they really give this dish great texture :)

Natural disasters really do put things into perspective. It makes all of the small worries in our lives seem not so big after all!

38 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 11, 2011

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of wheat berries or spelt berries… I may just have to try them!

Oh my goodness, that is just so sad about the earthquake and tsunami. As I was watching the breaking news on CTV this morning, my heart was breaking.

39 kaila @ healthy helper! March 11, 2011

My heart goes out to victims of the earthquake as well…..such devastation in the world today:(

That title totally grabbed me! I love wheat and spelt berries….and for breakfast?! Even better! Can’t wait to try this!

40 Heather (heathers dish) March 11, 2011

I love Speke berries but never have a way to use them…this is it :)

41 LauraJayne March 11, 2011

That salad looks amazing! I’ve never tried spelt berries, but if I can cook them so that they look like this, I’ve got to try them!

42 Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude March 11, 2011

Yumm! I love raspberries!

43 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 11, 2011

I wonder if I could make this with rice [gluten free]. Only one way to find out!

Thanks for bringing attention to the happenings in Japan. It really makes you value what we have here, even if the weather is cold and the darn snow wont melt. We live in a pretty amazing country!

44 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 11, 2011

Dates, raspberries, seeds, and all that goodness are my faves on top of b’fast! J’adore porridge! SInce I’m gluten-free, I will most likely be trying this combo with quinoa or amaranth. Thanks for the recipe girl!!

45 Andrea @ Vegvacious March 11, 2011

Yum! I never even knew that there was such a thing as spelt berries. I tried your wheat berry salad a while back and it was really good. I’ll have to keep my eye out for spelt berries so I can try your latest recipe!!

46 Kathryn March 11, 2011

It is so pretty! I think raspberries are the most photogenic berry.

HAPPY FRIDAY! (and happy almost daylight savings!)

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

I forgot about daylight savings and your comment made me so happy!

48 Namaste Gurl March 11, 2011

Mmmm, looks super yummy- never would’ve thought to use speltberries!

49 Roz March 11, 2011

Thanks for putting the red cross link on here. It is a very sad day for those affected and if we can help, let’s do it!

50 kate@ahealthypassion March 11, 2011

Ahhh I tried spelt berries last week and fell madly in love, the texture is amazing and they are super filling. I made them savory so im excited to try out sweet!

51 Anisha March 11, 2011

Thanks for bringing attention to the earthquake in Japan, Angela–my family lives there (about three hours away from where the quake actually happened, so they’re fine) and I haven’t been able to concentrate on anything else all day. It’s heartening to see bloggers like you expressing your concern even if you aren’t affected directly!

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

I’ll keep your family in my thoughts!

53 Jenn March 11, 2011

This looks absolutely delicious!

54 Alex @ Healing Beauty March 11, 2011

That looks delicious! I have yet to try wheat berries or spelt berries but they look like they have an interesting texture which I am all for :)

55 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 11, 2011

This looks so interesting. I’m going to have to keep my eye open for spelt berries!

56 Catherine March 11, 2011

I must say your photography is absolutely beautiful today. Have a wonderful weekend!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

Thanks Catherine!

58 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 11, 2011

This looks lovely Ange- the colours are gorgeous! I love spelt berries too, and like you, I’ve got an enormous supply! The plan is to get cookin’ with them this weekend so maybe I’ll make this!

59 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 11, 2011

I am SO sad to see all the destruction in Japan. It’s just horrible. :( I keep seeing all the footage and it just breaks my heart. Those poor people !

I live in So Cal and woke up with a phone call from my MIL telling us to turn on the news around 6:45 local time. B and I hopped in the car and raced over to the cliffs over the ocean near where we live… we waited about an hour for the tsunami before leaving. SCARY.

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011

did you see anything?

61 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 11, 2011

I didn’t. We waited there until around 9 and then headed for home… Our beaches here are south facing, so I was pretty sure nothing much would happen since it was coming from the west. …but I had to see for myself.

62 Ashley @perfectleypeared March 11, 2011

Can I come over for breakfast sometime? I’ll have to fly from Arizona, but it would be worth it!! OR I’ll try making it myself! :)

63 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 11, 2011

This looks wonderful, Angela!

I like how you called them spelt berries. Most people (I think?) in the US call them wheat berries. Because I try to avoid gluten, I havent actually ever had them but they look like something I would LOVE…sort of chewy and perfect. Mmmm, so good.

I want those raspberries, too! Oh yes please!!!

Enjoy your weekend!

64 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 11, 2011

I am totally trying that soak overnight trick! Another delicious looking breakfast :)

65 Colleen March 11, 2011

This looks phenomenal! I can’t eat gluten, but I have some GF oat groats from Cream Hill Estates (a Canadian company :) ), so I’ll have to try this with those. From your picture and description, they sound like they’d be nearly identical!

Love your site!!!

66 jenna March 11, 2011

i’m going to have to find some spelt berries. they sound delish!!

67 Ellie@fitforthesoul March 11, 2011

Yesss indeeed our friends in Japan need all the help and prayers possible. And even where I live in Cali, who knows what will happen? Life is so short and to be treasured every waking moment.

68 jodye @ 'scend food March 11, 2011

I’ve always loved wheat berries but have yet to try spelt berries. A nutty flavor is always a welcome addition, though. I also love the fact that I wouldn’t have to turn on the stove! I’ll have to try this porridge! The addition of raspberries is such a beautiful pop of color!

69 Jen March 11, 2011

One of my favorite vegan cafes makes a really good spelt berry salad, but I’ve never made spelt berries at home. I really should, because I’m in love with their chewy consistency. Maybe I’ll try your recipe! The picture is beautiful!

70 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 11, 2011

Oh I love both spelt and wheatberries…

71 laura March 11, 2011

Great recipe, Iv never heard of spelt berries. You got a thing for raspberries lately!
Hearing about Japan was absolutley devastating, I am so thankful for not living in an area of tsunami/earthquake risk.

72 Cara Craves... March 11, 2011

What a lovely breakfast alternative.
I love learning about news grains!

73 Hannah March 11, 2011

Genius genius genius!! I’m not sure if I’ve veer seen spelt berries in Canberra but I haven’t really been looking, so I’ll have to call arounda few health stores :) I foresee this with white chocolate and nectarines on top in my future :)

74 Pure2raw twins March 11, 2011

This looks amazing! I am trying to get different grains into my boyfriends diet, so now I have to try this!!

75 staceyhealthylife March 11, 2011

I love new ways of enjoying creamy breakfast hot cereals. Thanks for the recipe.

76 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 11, 2011

I’ve never been able to find spelt or wheat berries! I’ve been wanting to try them ever since you posted that wheat berry salad!

Such sad news about the earthquake in Japan. :( All the news footage I’ve seen is so devastating!

77 dep March 12, 2011

Thanks for the link/thoughts on Japan. I am devastated. We’ve had tsunami warnings here but the coastline was fairly okay. I’m just horrified and desperate for them. I find it really hard to read blogs about life when people don’t acknowledge disasters, does that make sense to anyone?

78 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 12, 2011

I am currently living in New Zealand and we thought the quake in Christchurch was devastating. What word even describes the level of devastation in Japan?

79 Nicole @ Fresh&Fit March 12, 2011

Yum! I love new oat recipes!

80 Amy at TheSceneFromMe March 12, 2011

This looks so good! I’ve always wondered what to do with those spelt berries I’ve seen in stores. And I didn’t really know what they’d taste like either. I love oats and this is another great addition to them!

81 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) March 12, 2011

this looks delicious! ive never ever heard of spelt berries!

82 Leslie March 12, 2011

Looks delicious!! I love wheat berries so I will have to look for spelt berries next time. I might make this tonight to enjoy tomorrow morning. I also made your coconut butter yesterday, oh and some almond carob butter and omg, yum! I’ve been trying one of your recipes almost everyday for the last 2 weeks and have loved them all. Thanks!! Leslie

83 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 12, 2011

I love how you used Spelt Berries! This sounds delicious! :D

xoxo
Kathleen

84 Richelle March 12, 2011

I have to try this, too bad I already made oatmeal this morning. I even have some cooked wheat berries in the fridge, so perhaps for tomorrow’s breakfast.

85 Moni'sMeals March 12, 2011

what a treat! I love your spoons too. :) I will have to try this.

You are so great to provide the link for the red cross too. So sad.

86 janet March 12, 2011

I have never tried spelt berries but I know I love wheat berries!

This is my favourite wheat berry salad recipe and I bet spelt would work well, too!