Reno Before and Afters: 2009-Present

IMG_9580

According to some psychology research, adults are supposed to be better than children at postponing gratification if they believe that the long term pay off will be higher. As an example, when a child is asked to chose between a $10 bill today or a $20 bill a week later, the child will often chose the $10 bill today (immediate gratification), whereas an adult would likely chose a $20 bill a week later (delayed gratification).

Many of us make choices everyday that might not provide immediate gratification because we know there will be a payoff in the future. For example, we may workout even though it might not make us immediately happy because we know that there will be a benefit in the future. We chose healthy food even though we might want something unhealthy because we think about how we might feel in the future. We might invest money into a RRSP even though we want to shop til we drop because we think it will pay off down the road.

Obviously, it can be perfectly normal to live in the present moment and want instant gratification too (you can fill in the blank here!), but generally speaking, our ability to delay gratification ameliorates with age.

And this is my long-winded way of leading into today’s post on renovations!

Eric and I recently delayed our gratification (yes, I’m still talking about renos!) when we decided to give up a vacation in order to pay for our dining room renovation. We postponed our immediate happiness for something that we thought would give us happiness down the road. And, damn, that is hard to do sometimes…even as an adult! But now that it is all said and done, we are both really proud of our hard work and we are happy that we did it. We’ll have to catch up with a vacation at a later date!

IMG_9577

For 2 weeks (a week longer than planned) our house was in a disaster for our dining room renovation. Since we bought the house at the end of 2008, we have renovated the following:

• family room
  • entry way
  • upstairs hallway
  • master bedroom
  • sunroom
  • master closet
  • Living room (didn’t finish)
  • and now the dining room

Our plan is to tackle our renovation projects little by little as we can afford it…and we will be DIY’ing to save as much money as possible.

This is what 2 years of renovations (a little at a time) look like! The biggest lesson we have learned throughout it all?

However much time you think it will take to do a project, double it!

Family room BEFORE:

IMG_5292

That wall paper was tough to remove because it had little pieces of wood all through it. It took us weeks to remove it and clean off all the glue!

IMG_5293

Midway:

IMG_5568

My brother Chris (he’s a contractor/firefighter) and friend Jay helped us with the electrical work in the family room. It is always wise to have a professional help with electrical work!

img-9002-thumb

img-8986

Family Room AFTER:

IMG_5691

We purchased the sectional couch off Craigslist. We got a great deal and it was in mint condition when we bought it. I love Craigslist sometimes. It can be hard to find a ‘diamond in the rough’ but when you do, you score big!

15of12 14of12

IMG_5679

After the family room, we stripped all the wallpaper in the living room and then primed it.

Living room BEFORE:

img_5232

After stripping boxes and wallpaper:

img_5294

After priming:

IMG_9781

That is as far as we got with the living room. We are not done though…more on that below.

Upstairs hallway and Master Bedroom:

Hallway Before (this was after we stripped the pink and purple wallpaper off the wainscoting)

IMG_7373_thumb

Eric installed hardwood flooring in our bedroom and in the hallway. Initially, this was a surprise for me while I was away (he planned on finishing it in a week) and it ended up taking 2 and a half months!!! LOL…I can laugh about it now, I guess.

We also painted everything.

20100926IMG_3424 20100924IMG_87662

Our bedroom after painting:

20100924-IMG_8771

Master bedroom After:

IMG_7765

As you may have noticed we have no wall art. Rome was not built in a day! ;) Eric also refuses to let me put up the Ikea prints from University, haha.

Now onto the dining room

IMG_9543

Dining Room before:

Chandelier Before:

IMG_7372

[Is there any way we can salvage the chandelier or turn it into something else?? Crystal Jewelry, perhaps!]

The first thing we did was shave the popcorn ceiling and remove the box trim.

IMG_9508 IMG_9540

Sand everything down, wash glue off walls a million times, etc. Then prime x2.

This wood trim was the worst to paint because it was really hard to get into the grooves and the paint dripped a lot. Our arms screamed in pain! It was like a 10 hour Body Pump Class that focused only on the arms.

IMG_9585 IMG_9606

After priming, it was time to paint the trim. We painted 2 coats of primer on the trim, followed by two coats of the actual paint. It was very tedious work, but thank goodness for music and beer!!

IMG_9618

We had a lot of painting dance parties singing Lady Gaga and Rihanna while dangling off ladders. Lots of beer was involved.

And then we painted the pop of colour. Did anyone notice the orange paint in this pic that I posted last week? It was a sneak peak! I was wondering if any of you would catch the orange…

IMG_9649-2

We chose a bright shade of orange called Carved Pumpkin by Para Paint. We got the sample matched to get a low VOC paint by Sherwin Williams. The wall needed THREE coats.

IMG_9779

We love how fresh the orange is….it makes me happy just walking by this room!

We have wanted orange in the dining room since we moved in and it was so cool to finally see it happen. We painted all the other rooms neutral colours, but we are truly bold colour people at heart. It is so much more fun!

The wainscoting on the bottom helps balance out bold colours, so it is not overwhelming.

IMG_9687

I think the dining room is a room that you can ‘go wild’ with and experiment!

IMG_9780

After painting the orange, we installed the chair rail (very scary because it has to be perfectly level!), then the wainscoting, and finally the baseboard. Two coats of primer and two coats of the off-white paint. Triple Yawn.

IMG_9689

Sure looks sharp though!

Do you like our black dining table?

IMG_9694

I joke, I joke…that is my AM photography station.

Below is our actual dining table, a hand me down from our brother in law and sister in law, Dave and Ewa.

IMG_9768

We have plans to refinish the dining table, but it won’t be for a while because we are taking a much needed break from renos. At some point, we will get some dining room furniture and a chandelier. Unfortunately, these things are really expensive so we might have to wait for a while. Finding a chandelier is really tough! We have been looking for a while now and we have no idea what will fit with our room (especially with not having much furniture).

IMG00061-20110306-1646

We also installed a wardrobe during Reno-cation Week. I will not get into how painfully long this installation was! All I have to say is IKEA and you know what I mean.

After closet installation:

IMG_9576

At some point, we want to buy a large antique mirror for the end of the closet.

I am donating this bin of clothing (a bonus of organizing clothing!). It also happens to be Sketchie’s new favourite sleep spot. ;)

IMG_9724

I hope we don’t donate him too!

Oh and this weekend was not restful at all. We realized we still had a lot of reno loose ends to tie up, as well as cleaning the entire house! No peace for the wicked as my grammie always says.

IMG_1991

It feels good to have the house back in order now.

Sketchie is certainly happy to have his dining room back.

IMG_2111

Our next room to tackle?

The living room

IMG_9781

Our plans are to remove the ceiling and put up new drywall, remove the wooden green door frame, remove the pink carpet, and paint. We won’t be starting this for a while though! We are taking a much needed break. Doing renos on a tight budget is a bit difficult, but we are doing the best we can with what we have!

Maybe you can help us chose a colour for the living room? We want it to flow nicely into the dining room.

1 Mimi March 7, 2011

Oh my goodness, everything is gorgeous! I am sure you’ll feel it’s all worth it in the end, but I can imagine how much of a mess it’s been in the meantime!

P.S. I LOVE the spiral staircase in the background!

2 Ashley March 7, 2011

Holy crap woman!!! I didn’t realize how much you guys were doing. It all ended up looking really great!! Your bedroom looks so peaceful. The lights are just perfect. Our room is a bit cramped, but hopefully will still feel nice when it’s done! The orange color is AMAZING!!! We’re going pretty neutral for now, but have an orange accent idea that I’m suuuper excited about! :) I’m definitely starting to feel your pain…ahhhhh

3 Ilana March 7, 2011

My kitchen is orange! It’s so fabulous and cheerful. My living room and dining room are a soft pale peachy color that is very warm and goes well with the orange kitchen.

4 MarathonVal March 7, 2011

Wow Angela, everything looks amazing!!! I’m so impressed with all the work you guys have put into your house…. Mike and I are far too lazy (and not handy enough) to do any of that. Everything looks beautiful!!

5 Kristina March 7, 2011

Your family room is AMAZING! So nice and cozy feeling for the dreary Canadian winters (I’m from BC, feel your pain!). And that orange is beautiful! Once you get furniture in there it will be wonderful. LOVE everything so far!

6 jen March 7, 2011

the renos look great. do you know orange stimulates appetite? good colour for a dinning room. not so much say for say a bedroom. that is what 2 years of design school taught me lol. that is it. i love the orange and your family room seems cozy.

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

Yes I learned that in psychology!
Whohoo ppl will really love my food now…haha

8 Meg @ MegGoesNomNom March 7, 2011

Gorgeous! I simply love the orange! When I moved, the first thing we did was paint our dining room a deep, lovely red – a bold change from the pale yellow we had before. Your hard work paid off – looks awesome.

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

I LOVE red in a dining room!

10 Andrea @ Vegvacious March 7, 2011

Wow – all of your hard work has certainly paid off. Your house is looking beautiful! I love the pop of colour in your dining room. Our kitchen is a burnt orange and I just love it. We get complimented on it all the time. Now go get some well-deserved rest!!

11 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) March 7, 2011

I can’t get a 100% shot of it but I actually like the detail on your living room ceiling. It’s so unique! How old is the house?

12 Anna March 7, 2011

Wow! Your house is gorgeous…especially now you are updating the 1920s/1980s ghetto fab! I guess the moral of the story is NEVER USE WALLPAPER! Haha.

13 Nicole @ yuppie yogini March 7, 2011

Poor Skethcie! I bet he has not been happy with all the renovations messing up his world.

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

Nope he was NOT impressed at all. He is happy again :)

15 rebecca lustig March 7, 2011

i just LOVE the colors and crown molding throughout your home! Simply beautiful and elegant

16 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 7, 2011

Your home is absolutely gorgeous – I love that staircase!!!

17 Odette @ theonlyplanetwithchocolate March 7, 2011

Wow! That looks so fantastic :) I love the orange… my kitchen right now has one red wall and the rest of the walls are yellow- it’s amazing how the colours of a room can make you feel! You guys did a ton of work, but I’m sure you’re just loving the reward:) Congrats!

18 Becki @ Hike, Bike, Eat March 7, 2011

What an awesome staircase!!! Your renos are beautiful!

19 Emily @ One Sweet Vegan March 7, 2011

WOW! I’ve been looking forward to this post and it was well worth it. I love the new dining room color! You two have been busy.

20 Michelle March 7, 2011

I absolutely love the orange! I have a similar green color in my living room/kitchen, and have been debating on what color to paint any of rooms adjacent to it [entry stairwell or half bath or upper stairwell], and I think you’ve just sold me on the orange with the wainscoting. It’s so beautiful! Well done!

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

We are really happy with the orange –> green flow :)

22 Ky G March 7, 2011

Absolute-freaking-lately awesome! WOW! I love it all…you have such great taste in everything. That family room…if I didn’t see the before pics, I woukdn’t have believed it. Kudos to you both and your helpers ;-)

23 Gina March 7, 2011

It turned out beautiful, no BEYOND beautiful! I love how modern the decor is :)
And your living room is the epitome of cozy!

24 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day March 7, 2011

I am tired just reading this. You both are champs!

I love the orange and white look – it’s a like a Cold Buster Clementine Smoothie (which I’ve been obsessed with lately by the way!)

25 Maissa March 7, 2011

It looks beautiful! I love the orange dining room and it looks so good with the green kitchen! Worth the effort in my opinion.

When my boyfriend and i moved into our current place we spent a week and a half repainting, it was so tiring, but SO worth it because with one coat of paint (ok, 3) we changed the entire feel of the place.

26 Ashley March 7, 2011

I love your house! Especially the staircase I think that’s my favorite. My bedroom is orange and I love it. Everything is so beautiful.

27 Charlie March 7, 2011

My grandmother just bought new bedroom furniture for her new house and she chose the same bed as you!
I have a trendy grandma ;).

28 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 7, 2011

I love the orange in the dining room! That is beautiful!!! But what I really love are your hard wood floors in the dining room.

I would totally give up a vacation to have a renovated house!

29 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 7, 2011

Holy sh*t. I just got a call from Architectural Digest. They said they want to feature your house in it! :)

Seriously, Angela, the work you two have done is beyond words. I should expect nothing less of you though…from your food photography to your recipes to the absolute Class Act way in which you run your blog and conduct yourself…your house is stunning.

The living room with the wood beams in the ceiling
your morning photography station (love the apron stand!)
the orange paint
the score on the diamond in the rough on CL

Girl. It’s AMAZING!

Well worth this “Eric and I recently delayed our gratification (yes, I’m still talking about renos!) when we decided to give up a vacation in order to pay for our dining room renovation.”—

GOOD for you…your house is amazing and you will cherish it for decade(s) to come!!!!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

Thanks hun!

31 Donna March 7, 2011

The orange is gorgeous Angela!
Not sure where in Ontario you are but Living Lighting has the most amazing unique lighting fixtures and there are always some great sales going on
Ps: I’m madly in love with that staircase! :)

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

Thanks Donna I will have to check them out!

33 Sara Stainbrook March 7, 2011

it looks fabulous!!! and oh my goodness so tiring :)
As for the chandelier… using the crystals.
On HGTV once (seriously love that channel) they had taken the crystals and took some fishing line and put a crystal on each end… they made all of the strings varying lengths. The chandelier they used was almost like a longer flat plank of wood (you could use metal too) and there were candles all sitting on the top… (or they had an option of electric lights along the bottom part) then they hung the pieces of fishing line crystal over the plank so they hung down below. if you have more questions email me and maybe I can explain it better (or draw it :)

It was such a fun and funky way to use the crystals!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

that sounds cool!!

35 sarah (sarah learns) March 7, 2011

wow – you guys are doing such an amazing job on your renovations! i can’t believe you’re doing that all yourselves! also, i loooove the bold pop of orange in the dining room. nice color choice.

36 Emily March 7, 2011

Ange, you have such a beautiful home! You and Eric do great reno work! Cannot wait to see all the final products :)

37 eatingRD March 7, 2011

wow gorgeous! That is such hard work! We still have a ton of little house things to finish from when we moved in, I need some of your inspiration! It looks wonderful :)

38 Mae March 7, 2011

The house looks awesome!
Have you seen this video about delayed gratification and kids? The marshmallow experiment:

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

YES!!! We watched it in one of our classes…it’s so funny!

40 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 7, 2011

Ange, you guys have done a fantastic job!!! I can’t believe you and Eric (and friends!) have made all of these changes yourselves. I especially love the orange paint – it is so bright and fun!! Can’t wait to see the finished living room… but first, I think you guys should take a very well-deserved break! :)

41 Carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream March 7, 2011

Looking great! Nothing more satisfying than a reno!

42 Danielle March 7, 2011

Wow! Your home is gorgeous!! I love the family room with the central fireplace!

43 Katheryn March 7, 2011

Everything looks wonderful. You two did a fabulous job!

44 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans March 7, 2011

Wow! I am very impressed! You guys have worked really hard and its definitely paid off!! :)

45 Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen March 7, 2011

Props to you guys! Seriously – this looks amazing. It’s so fresh and bright.

46 Ashley March 7, 2011

You have such a cool house! LOVE the grand stair case- just beautiful! Such unique accents- the dining room is so open now! Good Work Team :)

47 Helen March 7, 2011

It’s all so lovely! I’m inspired- too bad I’ve got a plain-jane apartment I can’t work on. One day, we’ll get a place!
Looking forward to seeing more of your handiwork!

48 Lauren @chigallauren March 7, 2011

Wow, your place looks fantastic, great job-love the decorating and paint colors and the older features of the house (molding, floors, etc) is so gorgeous!

49 MummyMaggie March 7, 2011

Amazing job! Love what you’ve done so far! I actually adore your old chandelier! I’ll take it :) I think the moulding in your living room is amazing and I definitely would keep the wooden door frame. It has character and charm that you just can’t buy any more. But I definitely would modernize it a bit by painting it gray. Lots of gray with pops of white and another bright colour {orange maybe to coincide with your dining room}. I’m currently updating my house on a budget – we’ve got kijiji finds {dining table & chairs etc} that we’re refinishing ourselves. Here’s a link to the feature wall in my dining room – We just finished it and we’re so proud of it!

50 Julie @ Shining From Within March 7, 2011

WOW! What a pop of color. That’ll surely wake ya up inthe morning ;) I love color!

51 kell March 7, 2011

seriously, you have an artistic talent that is beyond – between your food styling, photography and house decorating – i think you are sitting on a gold mine!!
PS. not sure how it would “flow” with the lovely orange, but my living room is a gray color (i accented with black,white, silver and purple) and is sooooo soothing and relaxing to me . . . i was scared at first, but everyone who comes over raves about how much they LOVE the color on the walls.
whatever you do im sure it will look like a million bucks!!

52 Camille March 7, 2011

Wow. Simply wow. I am speechless!

53 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 7, 2011

Your house is amazing beautiful. The colors are so complimentary, there is so much character! You guys have done an amazing job!

54 Kt March 7, 2011

OMG, so much work! I painted my bedroom (one tiny room) and hated doing it… you guys are inspirational.

Maybe for the living room you could do white or gray walls with a gold and orange paisley patterned trim around the top – by painting through a stencil? random suggestion :)

55 Kari March 7, 2011

Your house is so amazing :) I kept going through the photos again in awe of your work (and also trying to figure out your floor plan and how all the rooms connect up! lol). The new dining room looks wonderful. I also still love your family room – it looks so cozy and the green in the cushions catches the colour of the green foliage outside!

56 Ruth March 7, 2011

Wow! Your renovations look absolutely amazing! I wish that I could do some painting, but my apartment complex doesn’t allow that sort of thing, so I’ll have to be content living vicariously through you and your gorgeous orange dining room!

57 Allison @ Food For Healing March 7, 2011

renos are lookin so awesome. good job you guys!

58 Renée March 7, 2011

It looks great! And your cat is so beautiful!

59 ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska March 7, 2011

Wowza- you guys acccomplished sooooo much! I love the colors and changes!

60 Shanna, like Banana March 7, 2011

What incredible progress! The vibrant colors are beyond wonderful. And they contrast so well against the classic “bones” of the house. I’d suggest carmel for the living room :)

61 JenATX March 8, 2011

you’re house definitely had good bones. they were just covered up by some very out-dated decor! I’m sure it took SO much work but the house looks great & i’m sure it has increased the value of the house.

62 Audrey March 7, 2011

Oh, I love the orange with the crisp white trim. Very sharp, bold, and energizing! That pic near the end of the very shiny kitchen floor is cool, too.

I love seeing before/afters. Can’t wait to see what you do with the living room…after a much-needed (it sounds) break.

63 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 7, 2011

LOL – my sister just phoned me and said she was reading your blog and asked me if you have a cheetah!!!?? She thought that Sketchie in the picture above (on the hamper) was a cheetah!!

64 Alaina March 7, 2011

Your house looks so beautiful!!! I love the orange color. :-)

65 Coco March 7, 2011

WOW!!! You need to submit photos of your before & afters to HGTV! Your home looks absolutely amazing. So clean, crisp, and welcoming. Just my style!

66 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 7, 2011

i guess i never noticed the spiral staircase…i love it! y’alls renovations have been beautiful so far – i can’t wait to see what else you come up with!

67 Chelsey (Cookteen) March 7, 2011

Ah I love the dining room! I wanted to paint my bedroom orange when I redid it but we settled on coral, mom wasn’t an orange bedroom fan lol. That is a beautiful orange :)

68 Epicurean Vegan March 7, 2011

Wow–now that’s a lot of work! I love the orange! There are so many beautiful details you’ve incorporated throughout. We renovated our last house and after 8 years, it became a home–not just a house. There is so much satisfaction in putting in all that time, money and effort into making your house into a home you can be proud of. Way to go!

69 Meg March 7, 2011

Looks so legit. One day I will have my flat with my dope ass ikea furnishings.. ooooor i will keep spending my pay cheques on camera gear. d’oh

70 Moni'sMeals March 8, 2011

Good Lord! You are one busy woman. How do you do it?! :)

71 Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey March 8, 2011

Oh my goodness gracious, your home is BEAUTIFUL! I love love love the family room. The modern look and feel with the splashes of green is so cool. Your master bedroom is beautiful, too! I loved seeing all the pictures and work you guys have been doing. Way to go. Your spiral staircase is gorgeous, by the way. :)

72 Kat @ Cupcake Kat March 8, 2011

You did an awesome job. It looks great.

73 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 8, 2011

my favorite forms of instant gratification are cooking and cleaning! you have such a beautiful home, and you are only making it more beautiful!

74 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy March 8, 2011

So impressive, Angela! It all looks awesome. I love the orange even though I wouldnt be gutsy enough to try it. And your living room looks so open and huge without the green wall paper.

75 karoliina kivijarvi March 8, 2011

Please do not remove the molding in the living room! The pink carpet can go :) The molding is gorgeous. I’d paint it white and the walls light gray. That is such unique detail that is hard to get anywhere these days so getting rid of it would be a SHAME.

You could take inspiration say from this home:

Gives ideas about the chandelier as well.

Great work so far. Good luck! You have a beautiful diamond in the rough there.

76 Amanda March 8, 2011

AMAZING!!!! Its gorgeous, I just love your house! The wainscoting really adds something. And I love the wood in your bed room and closet. I remember a post you did a while back on making over your bed room, it looks fantastic now.

77 Heather March 8, 2011

Beautiful reno’s Angela – you guys have done an amazing job! It’s a lot of work – our house also has been a work in progress over the last several years. My bedroom is almost identical to yours – same shade of blue, dark hardwork floor and very similar furniture. I love the blue and find it very peaceful and zen. Love the orange in the dining room.

78 Gen March 8, 2011

Wow! Ya’ll really got a lot done!!! It looks great!

79 JL goes Vegan March 8, 2011

I love the orange! My dining room has red walls (upper) and ivory (lower). It’s bright and warm at the same time. (I have an orange hallway). My guess is you will enjoy your home so much more by doing it yourself — having a vision and then executing it must give you enormous satisfaction!

80 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 8, 2011

Amazing work, girl! It is gorgeous, and agreed, the family room pink carpet has got to go! But I think a sunny yellow color would be nice in the family room, it goes so well with orange but is not too bold!

81 Leia March 8, 2011

Wow! You two are doing an incredible job. I may be the only one who thinks so, but I love the ceiling in the living room… it’s so old fashioned and fun. Reminds me of Buckingham Palace :P

82 Paige @Running Around Normal March 8, 2011

oh my gosh this is fabulous! I love love love the floors with everything:)

83 Vanessa March 8, 2011

I absolutely LOVE that orange color on the walls! Your renovations look amazing!! Gosh, I loathe assembling things from IKEA. It took three people a solid hour and a half to put together a small desk from there. I also think it’s great that you are doing a lot of DIY’ing!!

84 Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 8, 2011

I know the theory of delay of gratification from my studies. Funny thing. ;)

It’s awesome how your house has improved due to your renovation! You have so much taste and handiness in creating a beautiful and comfortable home!

85 Meredith March 8, 2011

Great work you two! It all looks so fresh. I love the burst of colour and agree – dining rooms are a good place to experiment with something bold.

What kind of chandelier are you looking for? I’m in Toronto and still piecing my house together – I’ll let you know if I see a great deal;)

86 Therese March 8, 2011

I love, love, love, love, LOVE orange rooms! I never thought of it before until my cousin did it and it’s just so happy and lively! Your house is coming along amazingly well! I’m pretty lucky that the inside of our house was completely renovated and redecorated before I moved in with my boyfriend but the outside is the issue. This year we plan to completely overhaul the front of the house and then paint the siding. I’m leaving that up to my boyfriend and his father, the back garden that’s been neglected for a good twenty years? That’s my job…

87 coffeeaddict March 8, 2011

Can’t help it, but I am a bit jealous right now! I love all of your renovations, the colour choices and the cute giraffe photo in the family room.
Our entrance room is painted in the exact same colour as your dinning room. I always liked entrance rooms to have a bit of a punch.
Out of curiosity (if I’m too nosy, feel free to ignore this question) how big exactly is your house? And how many rooms do you guys have? It’s just that here in Slovenia we are not used to such huge houses, unless they belong to people who are über rich.
As for the colour suggestion for your living room: since dinning room is so prominent I wouldn’t go with anything too wild. How about a warm neutral, like a caffee latte tone?

88 Jena March 8, 2011

Thanks for this great post! I’ve been dying to see how it turned out! I am dually addicted to home improvement and healthy living blogs, so this was a culmination of two things I love to read about!
Everything looks fantastic! It’s such a bummer that in real life a team just doesn’t show up and move all the brand new furniture in for free like it happens on the shows, huh?

89 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 8, 2011

Holy CRAP!!!! These reno’s are amazing!!!!!! You should try to get into one of the home magazines with this!

90 CathyK March 8, 2011

thanks so much for sharing all the renovations with us, angela!
you and eric have done a masterful job…all of your hard work has certainly paid off.
orange is my fave colour so i esp love your dining room!
i foresee many happy times and memories being created in your *new* space.
and i so agree – i apply the bob and doug mackenzie (hope you get the hoser reference!!) philosophy to renovating: “double it and add 30!”

91 Toni March 8, 2011

My gosh everything looks beautiful! I lived through renos for about a year also and it was NOT fun during the process! However, once it was all done I did not regret it for a minute! Gorgeous! Enjoy it! :)

92 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner March 8, 2011

I LOVE the orange! It looks so amazingly cheerful. I can’t wait until my husband and I have a house so that we can really make it our own.

93 Laura @ Starting Out Fit March 8, 2011

What a great reno!! the dining room looks fantastic Angela!!! :) Your hard work has definitely paid off.

94 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 8, 2011

GORGEOUS. Love, love the bright orange!!!!

95 Zestful Lou March 8, 2011

Wow! Great work!! Orange is my favorite color, but I think I would be so hesitant to paint a room orange. Way to be bold! It looks absolutely fantastic!!

96 Erin @ The Grass Skirt March 8, 2011

Thank you for sharing these pics! I absolutely love looking at home before and afters. I adore the orange in your dining room. We have a deep orange in ours that was there when we moved in and we both love it.

97 Ana March 8, 2011

Amazing, your house is gorgeous!! What great work you guys did Angela! I love the orange color of the dining room!!
Ana

98 Lesley March 8, 2011

You guys have definitely gotten a lot done! I’m in love with you dining room color, it’s perfect :)

P.S. We don’t have any art in our bedroom either, ha.

99 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life March 8, 2011

Everything came out gorgeous!! Renos definitely take longer than expected… It’s been almost 6 months and we are STILL finishing our kitchen! Awesome job getting it done in only two weeks!

100 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) March 8, 2011

Looks great! I love the spiral staircase too :)

101 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher March 8, 2011

WOW–I absolutely loved this post, Angela! Lovelovelove the orange paint. Am living vicarious till I can get my own place :))

102 kate@ahealthypassion March 8, 2011

Wow your house looks incredible I love the sectional couch and all the pretty pillows. I think the orange you chose is awesome I love bold colors and it looks beautiful with the white trim
!

103 Marcy March 8, 2011

WOW! I can’t get over how much better the after pictures look. It looks like so much work though! Kudos to you for sticking to it!

104 Brandi March 8, 2011

LOVE love love the orange!

We’re in the process of getting into our new house projects, too. It’s so fun to see what other people are doing! I am now addicted to diy and reno blogs :)

105 shana March 8, 2011

Wow yall did A LOT of work and it looks like it’s paying off. Your home is beautiful!!! great job

106 Jackie March 8, 2011

Your house has the most amazing bones! I love everything you’ve done. What a dream house!

107 Stacy March 8, 2011

Wow, I am SO impressed with all of the hard work you guys have put into your house. Everything looks amazing! Now I wish we could get the renovation motivation you have…or maybe y’all can come tackle our house for us! ;)

108 Elizabeth March 8, 2011

The orange is great, and doesn’t the color orange stimulate the appetite? So a great color for the dining room!

109 Richelle March 8, 2011

Wow, awesome work! You guys have done so much and it looks great!

110 Aubre March 8, 2011

I love the way Navy Blue looks with Orange. It balances it out but still lets the organge “pop”. Something about Navy Blue is so elegant, too. A nice color for a living room
Everything looks great :-) You two are really talented with the renovations!

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011

Oh wow NAVY is a GREAT idea!!! Love it. I never would have thought of navy at all! It’s so elegant- esp paired with white.

112 Aubre March 9, 2011

Thought I’d give you some links for ideas!

I don’t think you need to go SO into the navy blue and orange combo, but it does look really nice to have navy with the ability to draw in some orange from the dining room. I can’t wait to see what you decide to do! Also, I made the crispy chickpea bites last night for dinner and they were amazing :-)

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011

thank you so much!!! I told Eric about the navy orange combo idea and I think I sold him on it. We think it is going to look awesome!!

114 Jenny March 8, 2011

I love the orange color! It is so cheerful and happy looking! I imagine it could help boost any mood! Looks great!

115 Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com March 8, 2011

Wow! Impressive renovations, you can tell you guys put a lot of work into it. Kudos!

I actually love the ceiling and door frame in the living room, such unique features. I vote for you to keep them and do a shabby/chic theme with vintage, royal, Victorian era touches. Could be so fun!

116 FoodFeud March 8, 2011

You have a gorgeous house! It looks like so much space! The staircase is beautiful and I love all the different colors for each room, especially the dining room. Really nice job and I’m glad you’re pleased!

117 Misty March 8, 2011

ANGE! ERIC!
ITS BEAUTIFUL!
YOU HAVE DONE A FANTASTIC JOB!!!
I LOOOOOVE THE ORANGE!

118 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) March 8, 2011

wow angela that all looks amazing!! you guys have done such a beautiful job!

119 Nikki T March 8, 2011

That color in the dining room is wonderful!! Great work on the renos!

120 Jenny March 8, 2011

You guys are motivated! The most I can get into is choosing wall art :)
I love the rug in your bedroom! And I love that orange as well. It makes me want a tropical smoothie or something!
And I am not a cat person at all, but I must say your cat is the cutest thing EVER! It’s like his coat was made an unusual coloring and pattern and he always has the best facial expressions. So, in short, I love pictures of Sketchie. :)

121 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run March 8, 2011

You just wore me out reading that, I can’t imagine doing it. I LOVE the orange. A neutral taupe type color might look nice leading into the dining room? Love all the pictures. You make me want to repaint my bathroom something fun now. :-)

122 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 8, 2011

Your renos are awesome!! My boyfriend and I are in the process of doing the same thing. We are taking our time and trying to save as much money as possible by doing a lot of it ourselves. You have done such a wonderful job! It looks like a totally different house! Yay for you! :-)

123 AGS March 8, 2011

Major kudos to you with this work. Having done COMPLETE renovation on our first residence (as in — gutting it), I swore to my husband, I would NEVER undertake/be involved with such a project again. Consequently, we’ve only done basics, such as painting, on our new place, and my husband is trying to be patient. I am really happy to see this great outcome from your hard work, because I know from personal experience how much effort you had to put into this.

124 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 8, 2011

This is incredible! I especially love the dining room color. It looks so inviting and cozy.

Can you come to my house next?? :)

125 Kelsey March 8, 2011

Wow! Beautiful rennovations! I LOVE the orange walls. :)

And your pasta dish with lentils from yesterday looks just perfect.

126 Liza Jane March 8, 2011

Very impressive! I love the color in the dining room.

127 Halley (Blunder Construction) March 8, 2011

Your house is so unique! I can see why you are renovating (the old wallpaper is yuck!) but you really are lucky to have so many awesome feature built in. The living room ceiling is a toss-up, have you thought about white washing over it instead of removing it? I love the dining room color, I mean LOVE it. How about a pale yellow?

128 Catherine March 8, 2011

I love the molding on the ceiling in the living room, too!

129 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011

We are debating painting the crown moulding….we are worried though that it won’t take because there are 10 coats of paint on it right now. We’ll have to see I guess! I do agree that it is very unique and beautiful!

Pale yellow is one of the colours we are considering actually!

130 Beth March 8, 2011

Thanks for posting the before & after photos from all of your renos.
Talk about a lot of work. Phew!

Looks great now though.
You two did some amazing work :)

131 Carly March 8, 2011

WOW!! It looks absolutely amazing!!

132 Janet Perez March 8, 2011

I have seen some pretty nice Christmas Tree ornaments made out of old chandeliers

133 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011

that is a fun idea!

134 Christine (The Raw Project) March 8, 2011

Awesome renovations, love the family room! I have a lot of respect for anyone taking on home renovations, hubby and I tried that with our older house in Florida and nearly went nuts. :-P So true on Craigslist, I scored some amazing unique bar stools. Yikes on the old living room! And the master bedroom is gorgeous! And love the dinning room, the color is great!

135 Nicole March 8, 2011

Great job on the renos! I can relate. We have a big project on the go at my house, too.

In case you’re interested, there is a whole street of lighting stores on Cartwright Avenue in Toronto (very close to Yorkdale). I bought mine from a place called Lighting Originals on that street.

136 E March 8, 2011

Love that chandelier! You should hang it in your walk-in closet!

137 Kate March 8, 2011

so gorgeous!!!! absolutely love it..the pumpkin and trim color go SO WELL together! I cannot wait until it’s all finished!!!! so inspired…

138 Liz March 8, 2011

Okay you have fabulous taste and I loveeee the orange!! It’s so happy.

I also just want to say that this is ridiculously inspiring. My boyfriend and I tried to just paint our living room/dining room/bathroom once and we were so tired and it looked so bad that we gave up and paid a friend to do it. But I’ve always liked DIY projects, and our bedroom badly needs a makeover, so I think I want to try again!

139 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing March 8, 2011

The renos look great! I actually like the details in the living room. I think if you painted the a contrasting color with the ceiling/entryway trim it would look amazing! Your house, though. :)

140 Roz March 8, 2011

Your home is beautiful!!!

141 Beth @ DiningAndDishing March 8, 2011

Very, very impressive Angela! I wouldn’t even know where to start with a project like that. I really love the orange walls in the dining room. Never a color I would think to pick but you’re right – like instant happiness!

142 Lisa March 8, 2011

You guys have been working hard! It’s paid off. I like the new colors and designs.

143 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) March 8, 2011

I am in love with the orange! Just seeing it makes me happy so I can’t even imagine how it feels to be in the room. :)

144 Chelsea March 8, 2011

I’m having flashbacks to my own renovations, but it looks great! Also, my mom uses old chandelier crystals on her Christmas tree for a little sparkle.

145 Clare @ Fitting It All In March 8, 2011

Love that you went with a bold color! It really pops against the white and looks fantastic! So impressive with your DIY work…enjoy the delayed gratification!

146 cassie March 8, 2011

wow, thanks for sharing.. you guys did a lot of work, but it was well worth it..love the master bedroom.. i think the blue paint contrasts well with the rug… great job

147 vanessa March 8, 2011

Wow!! You know, maybe the ceiling and moldings and door frame look different in real life than they do in these photos, but I would KILL to have a house with those details!! Are you sure you want to get rid of them?!?? But otherwise, AMAZING work – it looks like a really wonderful home to live in :)

148 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011

We are debating painting the trim on the ceiling…but there is 10 coats of paint on it so we are worried it won’t ‘stick’! We’ll have to see I guess :)

149 vanessa March 8, 2011

I understand – we live in a rental in NYC, so the only renos we can do are painting, and there are so many layers of paint on everything that the doors and cabinets don’t even CLOSE anymore – there is one door frame where there is an old extension cord attached that got painted over (and therefore, to the frame) probably 50 years ago – it would be hilarious if it wasn’t so ridiculous!! There are services where you can take stuff like that off and send it out to be stripped for a pretty reasonable price, but I couldn’t recommend one in your area. Well, I think I can speak for everyone when I say good luck and we can’t wait to see the final results!!

150 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011

oh that is interesting, I didnt know those services were available! We talked about it tonight and I think we are going to attempt to paint it and just see how it goes. Cant hurt right?

151 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle March 8, 2011

IT all looks so great!!!

152 zoe (and the beatles) March 8, 2011

i’m in love with that orange room! pretty sure that room could turn someone’s mood around instantly. it just made me smile! what a fantastic color :)! and no, it’s not because orange is my most favorite color ;)

153 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 8, 2011

Wow! I love your style… can’t wait to see more of your work! It must be such an amazing feeling to have accomplished so much and see it every day!

154 Kathryn March 8, 2011

I LOVE the orange dining room. Beautiful. It will be such a nice place to be when it is cold and gray outside. I’m a big fan of color for sure.

You two are amazing!

155 Freya March 8, 2011

The family room is quite possibly the most beautiful reno I have EVER seen! It looks modern but not cold at all – I LOVE it!

156 Freya March 8, 2011

Oh and the orange is awesome – my mum is a therapist and has a counselling room and she did 3 of the walls that colour; it’s very relaxing and warm :)

157 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011

Thanks everyone!

158 Amanda (Sweet and Savory Vegan) March 8, 2011

Your hard work definitely paid off. It looks amazing, and you and Eric should be very proud of your accomplishments.

159 Ellie@fitforthesoul March 8, 2011

It looks fabulous Ange!! Surprisingly, I like the orange~And it’s not overwhelming at all like you said. Hmm oh gosh, i’m no expert at this. But, how about a realllllllllllyyyyyyyyy light light pastel yellow?

160 Sarah March 8, 2011

Love the renovations! Your DIY work looks so professional :)

Maybe a nice sunny yellow for the living room to flow into the orange of the dining room?

161 Annette @ EnjoyYOURHealthyLife March 8, 2011

WOW! that is a lot of work :) But it looks amazing- I love, LOVE the orange room!!!!

162 lifebeginsatthirtyright March 8, 2011

OMG please don’t remove the living room ceiling – it is gorgeous! Definitely paint it – same colour as the ceiling would be nice (i.e. white/light blue), but seriously – don’t commit to taking it down until you’ve seen what it looks like when it isn’t brown/green!!

163 Amy March 8, 2011

Looks amazing!

After priming, then painting pretty much my entire house I can totally relate to have you feel.

I will say though, Behr now makes an amazing paint/primer combo. I painted a light green over dark purple in just 2 coats.

Its a little more pricey, but seriously, TOTALLY worth it to avoid painting AND priming.

Just sayin’! ;)

164 Heather March 8, 2011

OMG your place is AWESOME! GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!!!!!!! I want this kind of talent!

165 Michelle | gold-hearted girl March 8, 2011

Wow, the orange looks awesome! Go bold or go home, right? ;)

166 Lauren March 8, 2011

Oh my goodness!! You guys did so much, it looks awesome!
1. i LOVE the color orange. What a cheery room!
2. you can make Christmas tree decorations from the crystals on your chandelier if you add hooks/paper clips to them. My mom and I did that to ours when we moved and we still use them :) Adds a fabulous rainbow glimmer when the sun hits the tree just right.

167 LauraJayne March 8, 2011

Your renovations looks amazing! I am totally impressed!

168 Carlee March 8, 2011

I love, love love the orange colour your chose for the dining room! I love bright happy colours. They make a home so much more inviting.

169 Logan March 8, 2011

I know you are exhausted, but you should be so proud of the work you have done. Your home is truly elegant and I think “slow and steady wins the race”. You’re making good choices, doing it as you can afford to pay for it and you will win in the end!! Beautiful work! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

170 Katie (quickcookrice) March 8, 2011

Is there anything you can’t do!? The orange in the dining room is gorgeous! Way to be bold.

171 OSGMOM March 8, 2011

I LOVE the ORANGE colour on the dining room walls — it is so you :)

172 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 8, 2011

Your dining room looks awesome! It makes me happy just looking at it.

I hope you happened to catch a video of your painting dance parties. ;)

173 Sandra March 8, 2011

I just wanted to let you know how much I love your blog. I’ve been reading it for a year or so, ever since I discovered the amazing Green Monster and I have to say that this is such a positive blog and you are such a positive person. I have yet to try and recipes on here, but they all look delicious and I really need to try out that chocolate tort with avacado!

174 Amber K March 8, 2011

Wow, you guys are putting in so much hard work! It’ll all be worth it in the end I bet. It looks beautiful!

175 Mel S March 8, 2011

Oh my gosh it looks great!!! I love the bright orange! You definitely have another calling :) I love what you and Eric have done to your house.

176 (what runs) Lori March 8, 2011

So beautiful! Your house is a home and what a home! I LOVE the orange color- vibrant and fun. Definitely a creative area for coming up with awesome recipes, right? Or at least eating them.

177 Karly March 8, 2011

Looks AMAZING Ang! Great work you two! xoxo

178 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 8, 2011

Sketchie is so cute!!1

I love your living room!!! SO pretty!!! :D

Gosh, I love this post so much!
xoxo
Kathleen

179 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy March 8, 2011

woah those rooms look beautiful! you have such a lovely house!

180 Sarah March 8, 2011

WOW- your house is beautiful!!!

181 Kelly March 8, 2011

Wow everything REALLY looks amazing- they don’t even look like the same rooms! I love the orange you put in the dining room. I’d never think to choose this color but it looks great!

182 kaila @ healthy helper! March 8, 2011

WOW I love that orange color! Talk about summery feelin’! That would definitely put me in a good mood seeing that everyday! And I can’t get over how cute Sketchie is…..I need to get a kitty of my own!

183 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 9, 2011

Wow! Your house looks great. It must have seemed like hardwork at the time, but it all paid off!

184 Jennifer March 9, 2011

CHeck out Overstock.com for chandeliers.. .they are cheap and only $2 shipping… sometiems free!

185 Sarah March 9, 2011

Angela! Your house looks amazing!

186 Alexandra Aimee March 9, 2011

So cool!! I’m totally inspired to try to take control over our space now :)

187 michelle March 10, 2011

Absolutely gorgeous!

188 Michelle March 10, 2011

You’re just so fun to read. You guys have done so much stuff and it looks great. I LOVE the orange room and LOVE the colour of your floors in your room. Classy lady…as I would expect. Keep up the hard work, it’s so beautiful.

I second orange…or a really dark purple

189 Michelle March 10, 2011

meant to say second navy blue..opps

190 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

Thank you!

191 jane March 11, 2011

I wish I had your kind of energy ….wow. Check out Sarah Richardson paint colours http://www.sarahrichardsondesign.com/products/category/paint. There are only 75 to choose from and she gives suggestions on combinations. There are some really beautiful blues. Personally, I like to keep my walls neutral and punch up colour with fabric ect. but I am not very adventurous. Good Luck!!! You have an beautiful house.

192 Kiki March 20, 2011

That dining room chandelier is gorgeous don’t you dare get rid of it?

193 Abby Bean September 5, 2012

Are you really considering removing the beautiful mouldings in the living room? Think about it and you might reconsider. I didn’t know what I was going to do with all the picture frame moulding in my 1930’s home, but it adds so much character that I’m really glad I kept it.