Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

IMG 1905   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

Remember last summer when I made Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas?

IMG 6814   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

Covering a banana in chocolate and then snapping a picture of it proved to be a bit awkward for all parties involved. It was not my finest moment of photography.

Then I found out that Bon Appetit and Ashley from Never(home) Maker were making Chocolate Banana Bites. You know me, I love my bites and all things mini sized.

I have made…

Clearly, these chocolate covered banana bites were calling my name!

IMG 1913   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

I ended up putting a fun twist on them and the result was an incredibly tasty treat when you want just a little bite of something to satisfy that sweet tooth. I just LOVE these things and I am so happy that I have a bunch stored in my fridge whenever I want a mini treat.

IMG 1900   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

The first thing you do is make your coconut butter. Alternatively, you can use 1 cup of store-bought coconut butter.

IMG 0217 thumb   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

Keep in mind that not all food processors can make coconut butter! I have heard from many of you that tried making it and it never turned into butter, even after 30 minutes of processing. For best results you really need a high-speed processor (or blender) for it to work.

After 8 minutes of processing, I had drippy coconut butter.

Now add in kosher salt, sifted icing sugar, and your desired extract. I used peppermint and it was lovely.

IMG 1825   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

Process it all together and it will thicken up slightly.

IMG 1826   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

Now melt your chocolate and oil in the microwave and then process the melted chocolate and coconut butter mixture together.

IMG 1879   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

Pour into a bowl.

IMG 1852   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

Peel and slice your bananas into 1 inch pieces.

IMG 1854   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

Using a fork, dip the bananas into the bowl of chocolate coconut butter. Gently tap off excess on the side of the bowl.

IMG 1859   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

For the first trial that I made, I placed them onto a Silpat baking mat. This worked out great, except it created a ring of chocolate around the bites (which is no big deal), but I wanted to try using a cooling rack to see if that helped.

IMG 1860   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

IMG 1861   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

With a cooling rack, the excess was able to drip off, but honestly I prefer the first method because the cooling rack just made more steps and was messier in the end!!

IMG 1887   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

You can stick ‘em if you like before freezing!

IMG 1863   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

Freeze for 10-15 minutes until set.

IMG 1865   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

I found they were perfect after 15 minutes of freezing…the result is a solid exterior with a soft (but cold) pillowy banana interior. Yes pillowy. Mmm. I preferred them this way as opposed to completely frozen, but perhaps during the hot summer I will change my mind…

My little banana pops!

IMG 1892   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

I had almost 1 cup of Chocolate Coconut Butter leftover so I put it in a jar and will store at room temperature. This will be great warmed up and poured over oatmeal or VOO!

IMG 1890   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

I used 3 bananas and made 18 bites. I’m storing them in the fridge in a container. They will also stay solid at room temperature too (thanks to the coconut butter which hardens up nicely!).

IMG 1904   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

Mmm pillowy banana middles.

IMG 19051   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

A delicious snack that is perfect for bite-sized indulgences whenever the craving strikes!

IMG 1911   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

I also want to let you know about this BAKE SALE that is going on TODAY over at Sweet Tater Blog! I am auctioning off my Chocolate Crunch Dessert Granola or my Favourite Breakfast Granola to the highest bidder! Click the image below to be taken to the auction where you will find tons of delicious baked goods up for bidding!

Picture 1   Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

Moni'sMeals March 3, 2011

These are hands down my perfect snack. Not only are they adoarable, a great energy snack, easy to make, but they are fun! I love those cake pops that are so trendy right now, these are way better though and for you too.

I might sneak some pb in there too.

The bake sale sounds awesome!

Svetlana March 3, 2011

I just died and went to heaven!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!! These look AMAZZZZZZZZZZING …Angela, you are a genius!

Heidi March 3, 2011

Yum! I love chocolate covered bananas. + coconut = Amazing!!

Katy (The Singing Runner) March 3, 2011

Mmmm sign me up! :D I love banana, coconut and chocolate together! :D

Shanna March 3, 2011

These look so perfect! Would it be wrong to top with whip cream and have a bit of a banana split? ;)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 3, 2011

Those look AMAZING!! And so CUTE!! I love bite sized things!! And that chocolate coconut butter looks delicious too! :D

Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 3, 2011

These little bites look SO delicious!! Chocolate, coconut, and banana are such an amazing combo of flavors!

Roz March 3, 2011

I was one of those folks with a food processor that didn’t have the power for coconut butter! But I have to go and get some, ’cause these (and many other recipes I’ve seen calling for it) seem amazing.

Jenny March 3, 2011

I need a food processor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to make these!!!!!

Lesley March 3, 2011

These looks amazing! I love the bite sized version too:)

Kristy @ KristyRuns March 3, 2011

Seriously?!?! No…really. You are a genius. How can I NOT make these? Thank you!!! P.S. So ready for your recipe book!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 3, 2011

I don’t like coconut but love the idea of these! Maybe I’d try them with a peanut butter chocolate coating instead…….

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011

Chocolate PB would be awesome!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 3, 2011

Yum!!! Love the idea of serving them as pops!

This is a random question, but I remember a while back you were reading a book about (I think) first time marathon stories– do you remember the name/author? Thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011

I think it is this one you are referring to? http://www.marathonguide.com/features/firstmarathons.cfm

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life March 3, 2011

Oh, holy yum! I love that these stay solid at room temperature!

maria March 3, 2011

These look really good :-) Thanks for posting this!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 3, 2011

These are SO cute Ange!! I ued to love frozen naners as a kiddo. :)

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey March 3, 2011

Oh man, these are adorable!! I’m sure they are delicious, too. I like how they’re different from regular chocolate-covered bananas, too. The coconut butter twist is so fun!

Allison @ Food For Healing March 3, 2011

i was thinking of making something like this, its always nice to have a quick little treat handy when you need a little somethin-somethin, now i can just use this recipe to make them even better than just winging it.

laura March 3, 2011

I go crazy for banana-anything!
frozen,chocolate,coconut <3

Caitie @ The Caitie Experiment March 3, 2011

I am OBSESSED with coconut and banana together — ever since I was little and my mom would get the Tropical Blizzard from DairyQueen!

I have a question — what is the difference between coconut butter and coconut oil, baking-wise? I’ve googled and some people say they are interchangeable, but I was just curious as to your opinion on what the differences are, since I see you use both a lot!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011

I wouldn’t agree that they are interchangable. Coconut butter has coconut flesh in it whereas the coconut oil is ONLY the oil from the coconut. I prefer coconut butter when eating, but the oil is a great oil-substitute in many recipes if you want to replace the canola or veggie oil.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) March 3, 2011

how cute!! love little bites like this :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) March 3, 2011

how cute!! love little bites like this :)

Katie March 3, 2011

What’s the difference between making coconut butter in your food processor and the coconut butter you buy in a tub? I bought a big tub of coconut butter recently (omega nutrition) and haven’t done anything with it yet.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011

There is no difference :) Except for maybe the brand of shredded coconut that was used to make it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011

oh and the price..hehe- much cheaper to make homemade

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 3, 2011

So simple, so delicious! I love chocolate covered bananas!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 3, 2011

I almost fell off my chair when I saw your first photo – those bites look so good (I could totally go for one right now hehe)!! What a great treat idea. My grandma used to make us chocolate covered marshmallows when we were kids that looked very similar, but these banana bites are a nice healthy version :-)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete March 3, 2011

Angela these are so cute. I’ve tried making choc covered bananas and it was such a mess. I really need to make them lollypop style — those look like they’d work the best.

Heather (heathers dish) March 3, 2011

All I want is to go in a hike in the sunshine then come home to eat those bad boys…they look incredible!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 3, 2011

The banana pops are my favorite! They would disappear in our house SO fast.

I’ve done something similar when I make coconut ice-cream. I flavor coconut oil and then dip the ice cream in the oil, it makes a hard shell just like DQ!

Lisa @ Healthy Diaries March 3, 2011

These look like HEAVEN! You never seem to disappoint me with your wonderful recipes!
Thanks again!

Alaina Rose March 3, 2011

YUM! Those look amazing. I think anything dipped in chocolate is pretty much amazing :-)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 3, 2011

These might just be the most beautiful things I’ve looked at all day! (And I agree, the chopped up bites look much more appropriate than the single chocolate coated nanner!) ;)

Melissa Garcia Koel March 3, 2011

Hi Angela, I’ve been enjoying your blog for about a month, and find it very inspiring.
And I love that you made lollipops out of these! its so cute and festive and less messy than eating it with your hands :p And I made your two bite chocolate brownies the other day, or an adjusted version really cause I have a tendency to never do exactly the same ;) But they were really good,and I loved having so many of them! I used melted chocolate instead of chocolate chips, more oats flour on top of the normal oats, coconut milk, less sugar and skipped or forgot the agave, but about half the amount of your recipe would have been fine aswell, I think the chocolate sweetens them enough.
Thanks again for all the inspiring recipes, I can see there’s a lot of love in what you do here!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011

Thanks for your kind words Melissa!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons March 3, 2011

these are so creative! and so pretty too! the next step is to try em out! yay! =)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 3, 2011

That is perfection! I love it.

Julie @ Shining From Within March 3, 2011

*drool* you had me at pillowy

kate@ahealthypassion March 3, 2011

Ooh these look delicious perfect for a quick snack when youre craving chocolate. I agree with you whole bananas dipped in chocolate are a tad awkward I think I have only ever made them for girly parties!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 3, 2011

Awesomely yum!!!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit March 3, 2011

ahh amzing! i LOVE bite sized semi healthy treats :D

Katie March 3, 2011

Okay, I give up, I need a food processor! I can’t believe I’m 28 years old and have as much silly kitchen stuff as I do but not of these. Caitlin recommended one over on HTP today – what kind do you have, Angela? It seems like yours is a real workhorse!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011

LOL @ ‘workhorse’ being referred to my processor. Love it.
I have a 12 cup kitchenaid.

Amanda (Eating Up) March 3, 2011

They look like chocolate covered marshmallows, but they’re not! I like the chocolate covered banana idea way better :)

Page 1 of 3123»