Chocolate Coconut Butter Banana Bites

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 3, 2011

IMG_1905

Remember last summer when I made Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas?

IMG_6814

Covering a banana in chocolate and then snapping a picture of it proved to be a bit awkward for all parties involved. It was not my finest moment of photography.

Then I found out that Bon Appetit and Ashley from Never(home) Maker were making Chocolate Banana Bites. You know me, I love my bites and all things mini sized.

I have made…

Clearly, these chocolate covered banana bites were calling my name!

IMG_1913

I ended up putting a fun twist on them and the result was an incredibly tasty treat when you want just a little bite of something to satisfy that sweet tooth. I just LOVE these things and I am so happy that I have a bunch stored in my fridge whenever I want a mini treat.

IMG_1900

The first thing you do is make your coconut butter. Alternatively, you can use 1 cup of store-bought coconut butter.

IMG_0217_thumb

Keep in mind that not all food processors can make coconut butter! I have heard from many of you that tried making it and it never turned into butter, even after 30 minutes of processing. For best results you really need a high-speed processor (or blender) for it to work.

After 8 minutes of processing, I had drippy coconut butter.

Now add in kosher salt, sifted icing sugar, and your desired extract. I used peppermint and it was lovely.

IMG_1825

Process it all together and it will thicken up slightly.

IMG_1826

Now melt your chocolate and oil in the microwave and then process the melted chocolate and coconut butter mixture together.

IMG_1879

Pour into a bowl.

IMG_1852

Peel and slice your bananas into 1 inch pieces.

IMG_1854

Using a fork, dip the bananas into the bowl of chocolate coconut butter. Gently tap off excess on the side of the bowl.

IMG_1859

For the first trial that I made, I placed them onto a Silpat baking mat. This worked out great, except it created a ring of chocolate around the bites (which is no big deal), but I wanted to try using a cooling rack to see if that helped.

IMG_1860

IMG_1861

With a cooling rack, the excess was able to drip off, but honestly I prefer the first method because the cooling rack just made more steps and was messier in the end!!

IMG_1887

You can stick ‘em if you like before freezing!

IMG_1863

Freeze for 10-15 minutes until set.

IMG_1865

I found they were perfect after 15 minutes of freezing…the result is a solid exterior with a soft (but cold) pillowy banana interior. Yes pillowy. Mmm. I preferred them this way as opposed to completely frozen, but perhaps during the hot summer I will change my mind…

My little banana pops!

IMG_1892

I had almost 1 cup of Chocolate Coconut Butter leftover so I put it in a jar and will store at room temperature. This will be great warmed up and poured over oatmeal or VOO!

IMG_1890

I used 3 bananas and made 18 bites. I’m storing them in the fridge in a container. They will also stay solid at room temperature too (thanks to the coconut butter which hardens up nicely!).

IMG_1904

Mmm pillowy banana middles.

IMG_1905

A delicious snack that is perfect for bite-sized indulgences whenever the craving strikes!

IMG_1911

I also want to let you know about this BAKE SALE that is going on TODAY over at Sweet Tater Blog! I am auctioning off my Chocolate Crunch Dessert Granola or my Favourite Breakfast Granola to the highest bidder! Click the image below to be taken to the auction where you will find tons of delicious baked goods up for bidding!

Picture 1

Moni'sMeals March 3, 2011 at 12:05 pm

These are hands down my perfect snack. Not only are they adoarable, a great energy snack, easy to make, but they are fun! I love those cake pops that are so trendy right now, these are way better though and for you too.

I might sneak some pb in there too.

The bake sale sounds awesome!

Svetlana March 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I just died and went to heaven!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!! These look AMAZZZZZZZZZZING …Angela, you are a genius!

Heidi March 3, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Yum! I love chocolate covered bananas. + coconut = Amazing!!

Katy (The Singing Runner) March 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Mmmm sign me up! :D I love banana, coconut and chocolate together! :D

Shanna March 3, 2011 at 12:15 pm

These look so perfect! Would it be wrong to top with whip cream and have a bit of a banana split? ;)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 3, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Those look AMAZING!! And so CUTE!! I love bite sized things!! And that chocolate coconut butter looks delicious too! :D

Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 3, 2011 at 12:19 pm

These little bites look SO delicious!! Chocolate, coconut, and banana are such an amazing combo of flavors!

Roz March 3, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I was one of those folks with a food processor that didn’t have the power for coconut butter! But I have to go and get some, ’cause these (and many other recipes I’ve seen calling for it) seem amazing.

Jenny March 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I need a food processor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to make these!!!!!

Lesley March 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm

These looks amazing! I love the bite sized version too:)

Kristy @ KristyRuns March 3, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Seriously?!?! No…really. You are a genius. How can I NOT make these? Thank you!!! P.S. So ready for your recipe book!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 3, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I don’t like coconut but love the idea of these! Maybe I’d try them with a peanut butter chocolate coating instead…….

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Chocolate PB would be awesome!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Yum!!! Love the idea of serving them as pops!

This is a random question, but I remember a while back you were reading a book about (I think) first time marathon stories– do you remember the name/author? Thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I think it is this one you are referring to? http://www.marathonguide.com/features/firstmarathons.cfm

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life March 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Oh, holy yum! I love that these stay solid at room temperature!

maria March 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm

These look really good :-) Thanks for posting this!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm

These are SO cute Ange!! I ued to love frozen naners as a kiddo. :)

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey March 3, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Oh man, these are adorable!! I’m sure they are delicious, too. I like how they’re different from regular chocolate-covered bananas, too. The coconut butter twist is so fun!

Allison @ Food For Healing March 3, 2011 at 12:40 pm

i was thinking of making something like this, its always nice to have a quick little treat handy when you need a little somethin-somethin, now i can just use this recipe to make them even better than just winging it.

laura March 3, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I go crazy for banana-anything!
frozen,chocolate,coconut <3

Caitie @ The Caitie Experiment March 3, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I am OBSESSED with coconut and banana together — ever since I was little and my mom would get the Tropical Blizzard from DairyQueen!

I have a question — what is the difference between coconut butter and coconut oil, baking-wise? I’ve googled and some people say they are interchangeable, but I was just curious as to your opinion on what the differences are, since I see you use both a lot!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I wouldn’t agree that they are interchangable. Coconut butter has coconut flesh in it whereas the coconut oil is ONLY the oil from the coconut. I prefer coconut butter when eating, but the oil is a great oil-substitute in many recipes if you want to replace the canola or veggie oil.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) March 3, 2011 at 12:46 pm

how cute!! love little bites like this :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) March 3, 2011 at 12:46 pm

how cute!! love little bites like this :)

Katie March 3, 2011 at 12:46 pm

What’s the difference between making coconut butter in your food processor and the coconut butter you buy in a tub? I bought a big tub of coconut butter recently (omega nutrition) and haven’t done anything with it yet.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm

There is no difference :) Except for maybe the brand of shredded coconut that was used to make it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm

oh and the price..hehe- much cheaper to make homemade

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 3, 2011 at 12:51 pm

So simple, so delicious! I love chocolate covered bananas!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 3, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I almost fell off my chair when I saw your first photo – those bites look so good (I could totally go for one right now hehe)!! What a great treat idea. My grandma used to make us chocolate covered marshmallows when we were kids that looked very similar, but these banana bites are a nice healthy version :-)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete March 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Angela these are so cute. I’ve tried making choc covered bananas and it was such a mess. I really need to make them lollypop style — those look like they’d work the best.

Heather (heathers dish) March 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm

All I want is to go in a hike in the sunshine then come home to eat those bad boys…they look incredible!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm

The banana pops are my favorite! They would disappear in our house SO fast.

I’ve done something similar when I make coconut ice-cream. I flavor coconut oil and then dip the ice cream in the oil, it makes a hard shell just like DQ!

Lisa @ Healthy Diaries March 3, 2011 at 1:09 pm

These look like HEAVEN! You never seem to disappoint me with your wonderful recipes!
Thanks again!

Alaina Rose March 3, 2011 at 1:14 pm

YUM! Those look amazing. I think anything dipped in chocolate is pretty much amazing :-)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm

These might just be the most beautiful things I’ve looked at all day! (And I agree, the chopped up bites look much more appropriate than the single chocolate coated nanner!) ;)

Melissa Garcia Koel March 3, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Hi Angela, I’ve been enjoying your blog for about a month, and find it very inspiring.
And I love that you made lollipops out of these! its so cute and festive and less messy than eating it with your hands :p And I made your two bite chocolate brownies the other day, or an adjusted version really cause I have a tendency to never do exactly the same ;) But they were really good,and I loved having so many of them! I used melted chocolate instead of chocolate chips, more oats flour on top of the normal oats, coconut milk, less sugar and skipped or forgot the agave, but about half the amount of your recipe would have been fine aswell, I think the chocolate sweetens them enough.
Thanks again for all the inspiring recipes, I can see there’s a lot of love in what you do here!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Thanks for your kind words Melissa!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons March 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm

these are so creative! and so pretty too! the next step is to try em out! yay! =)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 3, 2011 at 1:31 pm

That is perfection! I love it.

Julie @ Shining From Within March 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm

*drool* you had me at pillowy

[email protected] March 3, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Ooh these look delicious perfect for a quick snack when youre craving chocolate. I agree with you whole bananas dipped in chocolate are a tad awkward I think I have only ever made them for girly parties!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 3, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Awesomely yum!!!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit March 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm

ahh amzing! i LOVE bite sized semi healthy treats :D

Katie March 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Okay, I give up, I need a food processor! I can’t believe I’m 28 years old and have as much silly kitchen stuff as I do but not of these. Caitlin recommended one over on HTP today – what kind do you have, Angela? It seems like yours is a real workhorse!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 3:36 pm

LOL @ ‘workhorse’ being referred to my processor. Love it.
I have a 12 cup kitchenaid.

Amanda (Eating Up) March 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm

They look like chocolate covered marshmallows, but they’re not! I like the chocolate covered banana idea way better :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 3, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I’m throwing a bridal shower in a few weeks and these would be perfect to have out! There is something about eating food on a stick that makes it taste even better. :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) March 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Those are adorable and look absolutely delicious! I have a new Cuisinart food processor- I wonder if it’s high power enough to make the coconut butter. What kind do you have?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Cuisinart is generally pretty safe I think…I have a 12 cup Kitchenaid.

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen March 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Ohh my god – these look amazing!! Love that there’s leftover coconut/chocolate butter

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite March 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm

These look purely fantastic! I love the cute little pops. Adorable!

Katie March 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm

My mom and grandma used to make these for me ALL the time growing up!! They were my favorite dessert!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 3, 2011 at 2:57 pm

1 cup of Chocolate Coconut Butter leftover = that would not have been difficult to use in my house :)

I love the looks of these. And I love anything mini too! I just posted yesterday about my love of mini things! All things except a mini bank account.

And the new favicon in the URL field on my browser…nice. Only a blogger who has recently gone thru having a favicon made would notice. Or even know that word :)

Bake sale. I had no idea or I would have contributed something! Your contribution looks awesome.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 3:35 pm

omg you dont know how long that favicon took me…I must have tried 30!!!! It is the most frustrating thing I have ever done. haha
I love your favicon by the way!

Wei-Wei March 3, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I love it too! I love these little details that make a blog so special. (It looks like the command key on a mac?)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm

hah oh noes!!!! (Just googled it and laughed)

bitt of raw March 3, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I noticed but I had no idea what it was called. It’s cute!

Michelle March 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I think what I love the most is that they are so easy to make- and that means I will have my kids make them!!! Yum!

Lana March 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Chocolate covered banana’s!!! What a simple treat!! I’m a single gal, so sometimes it is hard to justify making a whole batch of cookies or a cake, but this is perfect!

Sarah S. March 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm

These are so awesome! I never really liked the idea of whole frozen dipped bananas, but these are perfect.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm

These are toooo cute!!! :-)

Michelle | gold-hearted girl March 3, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I love the little banana pops – they’re so cute!

Amber K March 3, 2011 at 3:34 pm

While I am not a fan of coconut, I definitely think adding it to the top makes them look less like little poo balls ;)

amber March 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

i cannot wait to try these!

KT80 March 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Oh, I think it’s yummy banana treat day! Another blog I read, http://www.healthytippingpoint.com, talked about a grilled banana sandwich! I think I might have to try these out this weekend, and I will definitely opt for sticks. The more things I have around that are portioned out and smaller, the better!

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh March 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I love the twist! Anything with coconut I’m sold! I have always wanted to make my own coco butter :) this is def a good excuse!

Lena March 3, 2011 at 3:55 pm

They are adorable. I’ll just wait for slightly warmer days before trying these.

Lauren March 3, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Those are absolutely adorable and look delish! I am making them tonight :) You rock!

shaina March 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I actually did this last week and instead of chocolate used chocolate almond butter! Delicious

Lauren March 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm

What kind of food processor do you have? Mine is a baby and doesnt have the guys to make coconut butter but I am dying to!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Kitchenaid 12 cup :)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker March 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Yum! Looks great, Angela! I haven’t made these in a while . . . but I may just need to. <3

Annette @ EnjoyYOURHealthyLife March 3, 2011 at 5:07 pm

What a cool idea :)

Angela (the diet book junkie) March 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm

oh Ang, you had me at chocolate. :)

Jessi @ Quirky Cookery March 3, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I love, love, love chocolate and bananas, so these are just making me drool. I really like the banana pops, hehe.

Lee March 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I heart everything about this post. nanners + chocolate.

Sarah March 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm

A tip to those who think they can’t make their own coconut butter (I thought the same, and nearly killed my processor’s motor trying)…you must use at least 3 cups of shredded coconut, and it must be fresh. Ashley at Edible Perspective mentioned this the other day so I tried again – SUCCESS!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 7:55 pm

That is interesting! Thanks for the tip!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life March 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I need to have these banana bites in my life. I have such a craving for something sweet too… Guess I’m off to the store to get some chocolate chips!

Gen March 3, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Could you mail these to Brazil??? =P Great recipe!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm

No, but I will gladly COME TO BRAZIL! ;)

Gen March 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm

hahahaha come on down! =D its waaarm here!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm

haha I bet it is!!!!

lauren @ spiced plate March 3, 2011 at 6:52 pm

You make it look so easy! You should offer a mail order service ;)

Lauren March 3, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Something I’ve been wondering for a while…what’s the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Hey Lauren I just answered that Q in the comments above…check it out :)

Lauren March 3, 2011 at 10:55 pm

DUH!…thanks! Just made these tonight and they are sooooo good :)

Lindsay M March 3, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I love you! Thank you for this recipe! My kids and I will have a happier and healthier Summer treats because of you! :) What a fun kid activity too!

Gina March 3, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Sounds amazing! I’ve yet to try coconut butter. That’s next on my to-do list :)

[email protected] March 3, 2011 at 7:30 pm

It’s amazing how much you’ve improved in your photos and presentations! That one wasn’t bad, but this new recipe with the photos is so especially pretty~ :) They look gooodddd

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm

hehe thanks!

Wei-Wei March 3, 2011 at 8:07 pm

What else could I make coconut butter from? I have coconut oil at home but not shredded coconut…

Amanda March 3, 2011 at 8:17 pm

You made me lol, yes bananas are awkward to photograph!

elise March 3, 2011 at 8:21 pm

ohhhhhh my oh my. after laughing from picturing you doing the nasty with a banana i was thinking theres no way this post could get better….and then i saw these beauties. YUM!
ps thanks for sharing my quinoa and buckwheat granola in the link love – you should definitely try it. so so yummy!

Chelsea Trunnell March 3, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Wow. I need these in my life.

So happy to have found your blog. I’m a little bit in love with it.

Chelsea

Laura (On the Threshold of Greatness) March 3, 2011 at 8:55 pm

These look soooo good! Totally makes me think of summer. :D

I was watching Paula’s Best Dishes recently and one of her sons made something very similar. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/frozen-chocolate-bananas-with-coconut-recipe/index.html He was joking that he was going to retire and start a stand selling these things, lol.

stacey-healthylife March 3, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Great idea, perfect for summer.

kaila @ healthy helper! March 3, 2011 at 9:24 pm

wow these looks delicious! i love bite sized snacks as well….anything mini is so adorable and tasty!

can’t wait to try them out….i think I am going to dip them in a coating of walnuts too! I love chocolate, banana, and walnuts together! YUM!

Hannah March 3, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Okay, that’s it. I’m going to have to try making coconut butter again, even though the last time took one and a half hours, a smoking food processor, and even then it didn’t liquify…

Bridget March 3, 2011 at 9:45 pm

YUMMY!!! I just made a batch of coconut butter today (soooo much cheaper that way heh?). Well….I guess now I have an excuse to use it ;)

Thanks!

Emma March 3, 2011 at 10:47 pm

These look great and pretty easily as well! Perfect to curb a chocolate craving :)

Liz March 3, 2011 at 10:59 pm

“Covering a banana in chocolate and then snapping a picture of it proved to be a bit awkward for all parties involved”

Best line ever :) thanks for the laugh

Nichole March 3, 2011 at 11:14 pm

genius!

bitt of raw March 3, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Chocolate Coconut Butter leftovers? Love that! Might just make that and slather over bananas. For some reason i don’t like frozen banana unless I make it into ice cream.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 4, 2011 at 12:01 am

Mmmmmm, those banana bites look cute AND tasty!!!

Danielle March 4, 2011 at 12:41 am

I tried making something like these long ago, but I just used normal chocolate melted onto banana bits, and it didn’t work out nearly as well as yours did. I have a feeling this recipe will work MUCH better!

shana March 4, 2011 at 7:16 am

This look great!!! I WILL be trying sometime soon. Thanks for the recipe =) I love what you do and your blog and if you ever make a cookbook, I’ll be first in line!!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 4, 2011 at 7:53 am

Ohhhh my goooodnessssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want one of these right now…. is 750am to early to eat bananas and chocolate? These look AMAZING!!!!!! Can’t wait to try them!!!

Faith @ lovelyascharged March 4, 2011 at 8:18 am

Delicious looking as usual…and way less phallic ;)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing March 4, 2011 at 10:15 am

Love chocolate covered bananas! They remind me of summers at the beach where we used to always have one as a treat at the end of the day. This recipe is adorable :).

Stacey @ Here's to Life March 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Those look AMAZING!!!! I absolutely cannot wait to make these!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Banana Pops! YAY! Those are so cute! :D I want me some Chocolate Banana Bites! :D

xoxo
Kathleen

Donna March 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I want these immediately! Fantastic recipe as always
Extra bananas have been added to the weekly grocery list :)

Esty August 2, 2012 at 3:42 pm

These look lovely! Are they good made in advance? (1 day ahead?) Should they be stored in the fridge or freezer?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2012 at 7:48 am

They should be fine 1 day in advance. I store them in the freezer. :)

SarahBeee February 26, 2013 at 12:42 am

I JUST made these. I have 20 in the freezer as we speak….actually scratch that I have 18……eh…..let’s call it 17 ok? They are stunning!!! I tried to make the coconut butter last night, but either my blender isn’t fast enough or I am too big a wuss to let it go into full speed, but it failed anyway.I bought some “coconut manna” today (which is just coconut butter, I don’t know why they’re getting all fancy), and made the entire thing in no time! And apart from one icing sugar incident, it was super easy to do! (I spilled the silly bag of icing sugar all over myself and my clean floor…d’oh!). GREAT recipe!!!

Katie May 31, 2013 at 9:14 am

Oh good Lord I have so many tabs open right now! Just discovering your amazing blog! I popped online to find a healthy but special cake or cookie recipe for a very good friend and am spoilt for choice :) I think you’re doing an amazing thing here and will look forward to reading more of your recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2013 at 11:46 am