Falafel Burgers

IMG 1811   Falafel Burgers

HELLO March!

Damn, you look good. Just lose the snow, mmm kay?

March > February.

IMG 9673   Falafel Burgers

I am always the most excited for March out of the entire year. Well, except for April. And May. And then June. Yes I like those months much more than March. OK, scratch that.

IMG 9677   Falafel Burgers

I’m just happy to be done with February! February is my least favourite month of the year because of the Winter blahs. On March 1st, there is hope. The days are getting longer. Even though it was –9C when I got up this morning, I know that warmer weather is on its way sometime between now and July 1st. Approximately.

IMG 9675   Falafel Burgers

Today, I bumped the regularly scheduled post (Soup!) for this important announcement:

These Falafel Burgers are amazing. Addicting even…And I only had 1 bowl to clean up when it was all said and done.

IMG 1811 2   Falafel Burgers

I had my eye on Julie’s recipe ever since I posted about it in my Recipe Link Love the other day. Ok, that is a bit of a lie…I completely stalked her post several times a day.

Yup, still there. Whew.

I knew that these Falafel burgers would soon be in my belly. It was really only a matter of time.

Well, technically, 3 days, but you shouldn’t wait that long….run, skip, fly into that kitchen of yours and whip up these incredibly easy burgers and enjoy the leftovers all week long for a protein-packed pick-me-up. They would go lovely with breakfast, a snack, or lunch on the fly. If you make 12 large patties, each burger has about 9-10 grams of protein (rough calculation only).

IMG 1818   Falafel Burgers

And because I can never let any recipe be, I played around with the recipe and prayed for a successful outcome. The result was a delicious falafel patty with a seedy crunch and crispy exterior. At the end of it all, I had just one processor bowl to clean up. And by clean up, I mean that I blasted a second of water on it and tossed it into the dishwasher.

Score.

I almost shed tears of joy, my friends, tears of joy.

IMG 1816   Falafel Burgers

The changes I made to the original recipe:

• I cut the olive oil in half from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup
  • I increased the flour from 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup (my batter was very wet, so I had to thicken it up more)
  • I added 1 cup of raw sunflower seeds for a crunchy texture
  • I garnished the patties with Paprika before baking

Line up the troops…

IMG 1785   Falafel Burgers

Absent from the photoshoot: raw sunflower seeds, which were an after thought. :) I also did not use the ground flax like I thought I would.

Start by processing the carrots, onion, and garlic in a food processor. Next add in the drained chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, and salt + seasonings. Process until almost smooth. Finally process the flour into the mixture and stir in 1 cup of sunflower seeds. (The seeds are key for the crunch!)

The ‘batter’ is like a jacked up tahini-rich hummus…with a crunch.

IMG 1788   Falafel Burgers

Scoop about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter onto baking sheet and flatten with wet hands. You want the burgers to be quite thin so they will cook throughout.

More surface area = quicker cooking time.

IMG 1794   Falafel Burgers

Bake for 20 minutes and gently flip over and bake for another 5-10 minutes, watching carefully. If you do not use a baking mat like I do, your burgers will likely cook a few minutes faster.

IMG 1798   Falafel Burgers

The burgers will be golden brown on one side, but not to worry. This gives them that crispy exterior!

IMG 1804   Falafel Burgers

Cool for about 15 minutes and enjoy. I didn’t have any issues with crumbling and they held together well. Sadly, the burgers got soft when I placed them in Tupperware and into the fridge. I’m not sure if this was because I didn’t allow them to cool enough or what…

IMG 1808   Falafel Burgers

Serve them on a burger patty, in a sandwich, crumbled on a salad, or with a warm pita with your favourite toppings and sauce.

IMG 18181   Falafel Burgers

Or, might I sheepishly add…straight from the baking sheet…wlEmoticon surprisedsmile   Falafel Burgers

I turned into a Falafel Burger Pac Woman after I tried one. ..

IMG 1818b   Falafel Burgers

Yum! Thanks Julie. :)

If you are feeling crazy you could always do the Falafel Double Down Version too…by smothering a couple spoonfuls of hummus in between two patties. That is always a favourite of mine with chickpea burgers.

And I think I just heard a bird chirp. March, you are off to a good start!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 1, 2011

Haha, I agree– I love the summer months the most, but when February is over, it just feels like we’ve turned a CORNER!! Love it!

These look great!

Jin March 1, 2011

These. look. awesome. If only I had a food processor and a baking sheet at rez!

JenATX March 1, 2011

may i ask, what is the advantage of the baking sheet? thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2011

the Silpat is awesome, I cant say enough good things about it. It prevents sticking and eliminates the need for parchment paper and secondly it results in more even baking. I have noticed a difference, especially with cookies.

Freya March 1, 2011

They look SO FRIGGIN GOOD!!! Wow. Definitely book marked this page :)

Gina March 1, 2011

Hahahaha love the Pac Woman!
These look great! I love falafel :)

Heidi March 1, 2011

Yum, those look great! The crunch is key for me. Nothing like a mushy veggie burger, lol!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 1, 2011

HA LOVE the falafel burger pac woman!! And man alive those look so GOOD!! I LOVE falafel!! :D

kate@ahealthypassion March 1, 2011

Yum these burgers look delish, I agree with your idea of slathering hummus between two and eating it that way!

Baking 'n' Books March 1, 2011

I was thinking the same thing! YUM. Love hummus. And burgers ;)

Do you eat Sabra Hummus?…I think they put crack in it….

MASSIVE storm here yesterday – insane on the roads. But today was beautiful :)

Teresa (Teresa Tastes & Travels) March 1, 2011

Just when I was wondering what to make for dinner, your post came through on my G-Reader. Then, as I was daydreaming, “Gee…falafel sounds so yummy,” I realized that I have every ingredient called for! Yay!! A definite plus because there will be no store-going in the very near future (2.5 feet of snow last night). So ditto you on the “lose the snow” thing. :)

Bronwyn March 1, 2011

Om nom nom nom. Those look delicious. I LOVE falafel. Or well, anything chickpea really. I’ll have to try these out sometime soon.

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh March 1, 2011

This looks sooo yummy! anything with chickpeas is destined to be good! And I a soooo excited for spring! ;)

Allison @ Food For Healing March 1, 2011

Oo those look scrumptious! lol

-9c? can i has.. it is like almost -40c here right now, i woke up to -45c and my car didnt start :( i should live with you!

Sarah March 1, 2011

Mmm…I’m loving your idea for the falafel double down burger. That sounds positively scrumptious!

Lena March 1, 2011

Oh I love falafel, but I never thought of turning them into burgers. Will make those burgers for me and my boyfriend soon!

Amy March 1, 2011

Sweet! Had falafels on the menu tonight anyway, so I’ll just use your recipe instead of the same old one that never quite cooks all the way through. :) Falafels are awesome with this “mangocado salsa”: http://www.tastespotting.com/features/salmon-with-avocado-mango-salsa-recipe-canyon-ranch

Laura March 1, 2011

I had something else planned for dinner, but just realized I have all these ingredients on hand! Time for a change of dinner plans! Yum.

Laura March 1, 2011

Reporting back post-dinner! These were SO delicious!! I left out the tahini because my husband and I don’t care for the taste, and I left out the sunflower seeds because I didn’t have any on hand. We just ate them with a fork on a plate (didn’t have any pita) with a little ketchup (because ketchup is good on just about anything). Some steamed broccoli, rice, and a salad rounded out the meal nicely! My husband and I are already looking forward to taking leftovers in our lunch tomorrow. :-) Thanks for the great recipe, Angela and Julie!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2011

glad u enjoyed them!

Heather (heathers dish) March 1, 2011

Holy yum…I adore falafel. And burger form? Sign me up! Thanks Julie and Angela!

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes March 1, 2011

I LOVE the look of those burgers!

And I agree — it might not be warmer, but it’s LIGHTER outside… for longer. This makes me very happy, and is a sign of spring!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2011

me too! The other night Eric got home from work early and it was still light out…I think he almost cried! haha

Marci March 1, 2011

Thanks Julie and Angela for the latest recipe off my printer. Can’t wait to try. It’s like a hummus burger!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans March 1, 2011

Ohhhh those look great! I think I might give them a try!

And I am so glad to be done with February!

Ashley March 1, 2011

You never fail to impress me with your chickpea transforming skills.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss March 1, 2011

I’ve yet to try falafel due to them usually being fried..but these definitely look like something worth trying. I bet they’re amazing!

claire March 1, 2011

I also have been dying to make julies and these look so amazing as well. I wish I had my old food processor!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 1, 2011

Mrs. Pac Man! Now I have the urge to find an app for that… LOL!

Great idea reducing the oil. I bet these would be great crumbled in a pita with arugula, tomato, and tzatziki sauce.

Emma March 1, 2011

These look great, especially being so simple. Love the idea of the added sunflower seeds for crunch :) I’ve just finished my stock of dried chickpeas though, maybe I’ll grab a can just to whip these up fast!

Jessica March 1, 2011

These look great! I’m OBSESSED with chickpeas at the moment so will definitely be giving them a try!

Kathryn March 1, 2011

love the vegan double down. best thing I’ve seen all day!

Julia S. March 1, 2011

These look amazing! Do you think I could use chickpea flour?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2011

Hmm not sure, I haven’t had too much luck with chickpea flour in the past…

Michelle March 1, 2011

Dang, those look AWESOME! I will definitely be trying these very soon. Add some hot sauce to those babies!

carol March 1, 2011

These falafel burgers look amazing!!!!!! I can’t wait to try them asap! :)

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove March 1, 2011

I had all these great plans to make potato and broccoli soup for dinner tonight but since I just happen to have every single ingredient needed for these “burgers” … I think you have just changed my mind. I’m even going to double down it just because. YUM :)

Gen March 1, 2011

So glad its March!!!!!
Those falafel burgers look/sound delicious! =D

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe March 1, 2011

Oh yum. I love falafel, a whole burgerful of it sounds awesome!

Krystina March 1, 2011

These look FABULOUS! I bet they’d be wonderful with homemade tzatziki.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 1, 2011

oohh, these sound fantastic!!!

Dan March 1, 2011

Awesome. A felafel burger recipe that doesn’t crumble to pieces. I can’t wait to try this.

Melody March 1, 2011

-9C? that is nothing! This morning was -43 with the windchill is Saskatoon, SK.
This looks wonderful, might stay inside tomorrow and make some!

Lauren March 1, 2011

Awesome post! You sound like you are getting back to your old self after all the reno madness last week! :) (Even though I’m sure it is still continuing ;)

Ilana March 1, 2011

mmmmmm falafellll…..Ange, I don’t know if you’re a cilantro girl, but if you are, throw some in next time you make these. That’s how they do falafel in Israel, and in my opinion, the only way :)

Gwen~healthymamma March 1, 2011

What a pretty scenery. Don’t get much of that here in Phoenix! ;)
I adore falafel/chickpea burgers to bits! These are a wonderfully simple version!
I just made a SouthWestern version with lots of good stuff errr stuffed into them and topped with an Adobe Sauce. Check my blog in a day or two when I have the energy to blog about it! ;)

Ally (oatsandspice) March 1, 2011

YUM – thanks for sharing the greatttt recipe! They look delicious!

Page 1 of 3123»