Chocolate Crunch Dessert Granola

IMG_1720

Deep into Reno-cation week, the idea of this dessert granola came to me. I was sore, I was weak, and I was needing a major pick-me-up at the end of a long day of painting intricate wood trim.

Chocolate sounded like the answer.

Eric said it was my best idea all week.

IMG_1654

I dreamed of crunchy and clumpy, warm, chocolaty granola cascading over the top of a bowl of cold Banana Soft Serve. It was just the thing to give me hope that renos would some day come to an end.

IMG_1712-3

Because when you’ve been wearing red plaid PJ’s and clogs for a week straight, hope is all you have!

IMG_9649-2

IMG_1697

IMG_1631b

Luckily for me (and my sore arms!), this recipe was quick and easy. It only takes 5 minutes to throw this together and pop it into the oven.

IMG_1557b

The most important ingredient to your dessert granola:

IMG_8816

You know the drill by now…mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then mix the wet (heat up in microwave), and then add wet to dry and stir well.

Add in chocolate chips…

IMG_1633

Spread onto your prepared baking sheet.

IMG_1636

Bake for 23-25 minutes at 325F, flipping once half way through. Cool for 30 minutes (if you can!)

This is what I’m talking about!

IMG_1646

The result is a super clumpy and chocolaty dessert granola….without being too sweet.

I served some granola warm over Banana Soft Serve and it was to die for! It is also really good on cereal and VOO.

IMG_1712

As for those renos, we did 3 coats of paint yesterday and also installed the wainscoting. The room is looking awesome! We now have to paint the wainscoting and finish up a few details. I’m going to wait to show you the rest of the pictures until we are done! It will be a fairly dramatic before and after, I’m hoping… :)

I also have an 11-mile long training run to tackle today…after skipping a few workouts for renos. Something tells me this isn’t going to be easy!

1 Kristina @ spabettie February 28, 2011

this looks fabulous – warm granola with melty chocolate? yes please! I can’t wait to see the finished project!! :D

2 Ashley February 28, 2011

Wow…good luck with the long run!!! Love the looks of the granola and your hot reno outfit!

3 Allison @ Food For Healing February 28, 2011

chocolatey goodness, oh my.

4 VeggieGirl February 28, 2011

Oh Angela, this is FABULOUS!!!

5 Amanda (Eating Up) February 28, 2011

That looks like a perfect reno treat!

6 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun February 28, 2011

Yum! What a great idea to have it with the banana soft serve too. That stuff is good.

I hate renovations. Hope the light at the end of the tunnel is getting very close for you guys.

7 carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream February 28, 2011

OMG that looks good… granola harnessed for the power of evil!

8 Alex @ Healing Beauty February 28, 2011

I love having granola for dessert! I bet it is amazing with banana soft serve!! I think I might add pieces of dried cherries to my granola. I just love cherries and chocolate :)

9 Runeatrepeat February 28, 2011

I’m a huge fan of any recipe that includes chocolate chips :) Looks delicious!

10 Lizzie February 28, 2011

I have a 10-miler this week – eeeep! :) Slow and steady .. . that’s all you need to ask of yourself. Hope you’re able to do it outside! T-mill long runs are brutal!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 28, 2011

slow and steady…I love that! I think I need to start reducing the speed of my long runs.

12 Lizzie February 28, 2011

I used to speed through mine and then wonder why I was exhausted after 8!! I guess they’re supposed to be slow (though on the shorter ones I do find myself competing against whatever pace/time I had at that last distance – it’s hard not to do!!).

13 Caitie @ The Caitie Experiment March 1, 2011

I have that exact same problem, especially since I took a break from running for awhile and am just now getting back to the 5k-ish distances. I start out at a slower pace and end up sprinting the last few laps to “beat my times”, even though I know I should give my legs a break on those days! Good luck on the 10-miler!

14 Lizzie March 1, 2011

Ta muchly – hopefully it will be outside!!

15 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner February 28, 2011

Wow, this does look delicious. Good luck on your training run!

16 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 28, 2011

Have fun on your run today!

I love wainscoting and I’m sure it looks beautiful!

17 Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com February 28, 2011

Looks delicious! Your plaid pants are hysterical. WOW!

18 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious February 28, 2011

I think this might be your best granola yet! I am in the midst of a cleanse, but if I get gluten-free oats and a good really dark chocolate, I think I can have this …. it looks especially awesome over banana soft serve – great idea!!

Can’t wait to see the unveiling of your room – I love dramatic and bold!!

19 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa February 28, 2011

Chocolate granola is one my my favorites! Love how the chocolate melts and coats all the other good stuff so you get a bite of chocolate with every spoonful!

20 Jennifer and Jaclyn @ Sketch-Free Vegan February 28, 2011

yummy! i just picked up some buckwheat and can’t wait to make some granola. Love the addition of chocolate chips :)

21 Karen February 28, 2011

I was wondering if you know of a good substitute for brown rice syrup? Could I use maple syrup? Or would I need something thicker like corn syrup?

Thanks! Can’t wait to try it:)

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 28, 2011

Another liquid sweetener would work too, although I like BRS because it gives it that nice clumpy factor :)

23 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 28, 2011

Hey Karen I saw your comment above mine, so thought I’d comment – I have a hard time with sugars, so I use date paste to replace sugar in granola recipes and it’s always worked great for me. You could try 1/4 cup chopped dates soaked in 3 tbsp water for 5 minutes, then mash into a paste and add it as a replacement for the brown rice syrup. Good luck :)

24 Jenna February 28, 2011

This is a wonderful idea Leanne! I’m gonna give it a go! :)

25 Jen February 28, 2011

OMG. I cannot wait to go home and make some of that! Thanks!

26 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 28, 2011

The first word that came to mind when I saw this recipe was: Deadly. Holy moly I don’t know if I could control myself by not eating the entire batch in one sitting.

27 Gen February 28, 2011

That looks sooo good! PB + Chocolate= Heaven! =D I also happen to have homemade caramel dip…..so I might be making a banana soft serve/granola/caramel bowl of yum tonight! =D

28 Jenny February 28, 2011

Just what I’ve been waiting for, I might try and add in the homemade choco-chunks:)

29 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 28, 2011

this is dangerous! granola doesn’t last long around me :)

30 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 28, 2011

Oooh yum this looks awesome! Here’s the deal: I’ll sit home and eat some dessert granola, and you head out for the run, mmkay? ;) Have a good one Ange!

31 Alaina February 28, 2011

Oh that looks heavenly on a cold, rainy day like today. :-)

32 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 28, 2011

Good luck on the training run! Sometimes my very best runs come when I think I’ve taken just a few days too many off between runs :)

33 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 28, 2011

all granola tastes like dessert to me — this one looks extra delish though! =)

34 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 28, 2011

YUM! I am such a fan of granola (if you couldn’t tell by the name of my blog!). This looks delightful!

35 PB Addict February 28, 2011

I just came in from cleaning the snow off my car and warm chocolate granola sounds like heaven right now.

36 Siobhan @ sio 'n the run February 28, 2011

This recipe looks delicious!! I think I will have to make this one!

And I voted for you at the Best Health Blog Awards! Good luck!!

37 Emily @ One Sweet Vegan February 28, 2011

I can’t wait to see the before and after photos!

38 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 28, 2011

Mmmmm….these look like warm, deconstructed oatmeal cookie chunks!!!! In other words…completely amazing!!!

39 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 28, 2011

I’m with your hubby – best idea you’ve had all week! I will be making this with almonds asap! It will be the perfect treat once I start hearing back from colleges:)

40 BrightBakes February 28, 2011

good luck on the run! You’ll do just fine :)
As for this granola…yeah, it’s gonna happen!
love,
cathy b.

41 Beth February 28, 2011

That is one delicious looking bowl of granola. Yum!

Sounds like your reno is coming along and I can’t wait for the big reveal.

42 Caitlin @the permanent life February 28, 2011

Sounds amazing!! Could you use coconut butter? Honey roasted peanuts would probably be so good in this. Glad your painting is going well, good luck on your run!

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 28, 2011

i think coconut butter would work, you just might need to use more of it since it is so thick. Let me know if you try it!

44 Tine February 28, 2011

Oh my god, peanuts in granola.
Lovely idea!

45 Ashley February 28, 2011

Mmmm. I think i’m going to try this with PB&Co Dark Chocolate Dreams as the pb. Decadent!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 28, 2011

mmm great idea!

47 Julie @ Shining From Within February 28, 2011

I’m seriously about to cook my way through your blog haha

48 Alyssa - fashion fitness foodie February 28, 2011

Looks amazing! I need to try and make my own granola because I go through it so fast! Excited to see your renovations

49 Emily February 28, 2011

Oh man, good luck with your 11 miles! I ran 8 on Saturday after going out Friday night.. It was difficult to say the least but I never regret a good workout!

And your recipes never cease to amaze me, that granola looks so delish. And even though its “dessert” granola it’s still granola which clearly makes it okay for breakfast too.

50 Amber K February 28, 2011

That looks fantastic!!

51 Freya February 28, 2011

Yum! I did a similar thing for breakfast, by making peach cinnamon quinoa, and then dotting in dark chocolate. It was basically dessert for breakfast, which is a fantastic start to any Monday morning!
Love the plaid pjs too!

52 Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey February 28, 2011

I have PJ pants just like those! I bet this granola is heavenly. I have yet to make my own granola so far… I need to get on that!

53 Beach Bum Beauty February 28, 2011

You have so much energy, you put me to shame!! I desperately need to start decorating now the sun is starting to shine as it’s showing up all manner of things I don’t like. Can’t wait to see pics :-)

54 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 28, 2011

This could be one of the best ideas you’ve had yet – that looks so so good!

55 mary (what's cookin' with mary) February 28, 2011

OHMYGOSH! What a great idea?! Would have never thought to add choc chips. I love how it gets all melty and yummy after baking. Can’t wait to experiment :)

Note to self: buy silpat!!

56 kate@ahealthypassion February 28, 2011

oh my that looks decadent and delicious, good luck on your run today!

57 Annette @ EnjoyYOURHealthyLife February 28, 2011

This does looks amazing- thanks for the inspiration! And good luck on that run ;)

58 Clare @ Fitting It All In February 28, 2011

Mmm that sounds dangerously good! And good luck on your run today!

59 Carly February 28, 2011

I’m contemplating leaving work to just go home and make this! Looks so good!

60 Jenna February 28, 2011

Perfect fuel for the day before a long run! Yum! I am gonna have to make this soon :) My mileage is starting to pick up too. My half is on the 1st of May, and right now LSD runs are 8 miles. Mmm…excuses to eat more chocolate! But your lovely lentil recipe from yesterday is calling my name tonight!

61 megan @ blackberries for jam February 28, 2011

This looks delightful, and extremely versatile! I can’t wait for warmer weather and banana soft serve!

62 Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 28, 2011

This really looks delicious! Great idea using it as a topping for banana soft serve.

63 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) February 28, 2011

I love the idea of dessert granola. Looks great!

xo

64 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 28, 2011

Oh, that granola looks so incredible! I think I’m drooling a little over here!

65 Roz February 28, 2011

This looks delicous. So glad the renos are going well.

66 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 28, 2011

On the bright side, you’ve gotten to shamelessly wear PJs for a few days in a row… :)

Chocolate in granola is my fav. Love that you added the PB, too. A well-deserved treat!

67 shana February 28, 2011

You should have your own cooking show. Or maybe a vegan restaurant! How do you find time to cook all the time? =)

68 Katie February 28, 2011

Yum! After 8 months in Sweden, where they don’t do the whole chocolate and peanut butter thing (!) I’ve been having mad cravings for anything with that combo. I made a chocolate cake with peanut butter cream cheese frosting and chocolate peanut butter ganache that was so rich that a teeny slice gave me a headache. Seriously, my frontal lobe was burning before I was done my slice. This recipe seems much more reasonable! I can’t wait to try it out.

69 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 28, 2011

I’m in desperate need of some of this now!

70 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite February 28, 2011

Yum! This looks like the perfect post-dinner treat without breaking the caloric bank :)

71 Kat @ Cupcake Kat February 28, 2011

This may be the most delicous looking and sounding granola I have ever seen. I will have to try it!

72 Michelle February 28, 2011

Yummy! I’ve had sweet cravings, and this is surely a good (and healthy!) cure for that. Woo!

73 Meg February 28, 2011

Mosdef will be making this sometime this week.

I actually wanted to stop by and thank you again for your motivation for me to continue my running. I have set the date for my first ever half marathon. July 17!! so excited. Thank you!!!

74 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 28, 2011

I love clumpy granola! What a tasty reward for all your hard work. I can’t wait to see the reveal!

75 Beth @ DiningAndDishing February 28, 2011

Looks fantastic Angela! I’m impressed at this recipe considering all the work you’ve had to put in at the house! I think I’d just opt for take out :).

76 Marit February 28, 2011

I was gonna keep my own decorating nightmare out of the web alltogether but i figured since you’ve been having a bout, i was gonna too..
Hehe..
I even did the wiring… all by myself… with help from my 5year old daughter…
Pride is a great motivator!
and having a stubborn boyfriend who won’t hire help is another….

And today i made a huge step in the vegetarian direction by buying soy milk for the first time in my life…
i have got to start somewhere right?
It lasted untill dinner when my child wanted hamburger for dinner…. LOL
To be fair tho… i do meke the burgers myself from scratch… and i do have a recipe for lentil ones ut i have a feeling they might not fly in my household…

Good job on the Granola!
We don’t really have that sort of stuff in Norway but we eat lads of whole grains.

Looking foreward to seeing your finished decorating!
Hugs from a fellow dusty decorator…on the oposite side of the earth…

77 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 28, 2011

11 mile training run? Wow. That is impressive! I used to run lots of 5/10k’s and half marathons and remember doing runs like that. Not anymore. A couple miles and some yoga is about all I can muster :)

Maybe if I knew this granola was waiting for me I could get out the door! So that I could come back and gobble it up! It looks insanely good…and how GOOD did your house smell with coconut oil, PB, Vanilla, and chocolate all baking on oats. Oh my. YUM :)

78 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle February 28, 2011

omg….amazeballs! This looks so good!

79 Liz @ IHeartVegetables February 28, 2011

Wow that looks so delicious!!! I want some on my banana soft serve :)

80 Laurel February 28, 2011

Thanks for fun recipes, especially for busy days! You consistently make it fun.

81 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 28, 2011

i need to make this…STAT!

82 Charlotte February 28, 2011

Um… YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

83 Ellie@fitforthesoul February 28, 2011

hehe! So funny with the plaid and crocs :P I’m not kidding about this Angela! But again, you read my mind! hahahaa. I was JUST thinking that granola with choc chips would be really yummy right about now~ :D

84 Laura @ prettylittlewords February 28, 2011

Will definitely need to try this one out!

85 Stacey @ Here's to Life February 28, 2011

That looks delicious!! I am going to make that ASAP!! Good luck on the 11 miles! You’ll do great!

86 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner February 28, 2011

Good luck with the long run!
Looking at this granola makes me want to go and make it right now… it looks delish!!

87 Baking 'n' Books February 28, 2011

So maybe maple syrup would work??

Holy crap as soon as I seen the title I was aghast….I’m on a granola kick lately. And when am I not in love with chocolate…;)

88 melissa roby February 28, 2011

Going to try this recipe asap!!! I love granola!!…I think I am pms..ing…I drooled over the pics…well, the chocolate granola pics…not the clogs..:)

89 Moni'sMeals February 28, 2011

ummm most likely the best granola recipe I have looked at! I can’t wait to make this!

Hope that run went well, you go girl! I am sure you killed it. :)

90 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 28, 2011

This recipe looks a little bit like a granola we used to make on canoe trips when I used to be a camp counsellor! It was always the best part of my day. :D

91 Ally (oatsandspice) February 28, 2011

Oh my goodness this looks amazinggg – I loved that you topped it on your banana soft serve YUMMMM

92 Fallon February 28, 2011

Sounds delicious. Can’t wait to try out the recipe. Clumpy granola is the best!

93 Mich February 28, 2011

So simple. So delish. Another win for Angela!

Must…resist…stuffing…face…

94 Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 28, 2011

This granola sounds delightful! Whenever a recipe calls for brown rice syrup, I substitute with honey because that’s all I have. I wonder if brown rice syrup makes a significant difference in the texture of the granola?

95 Natalia - a side of simple February 28, 2011

What’s granola without chocoalte clusters? Not soul-soothing, that’s for sure!

96 Becca February 28, 2011

Peanut Butter + Chocolate + Banana (softserve) = the best combo ever!

97 lauren @ spiced plate February 28, 2011

i’ve totally been craving granola — I’m going to have to make a version of this!

98 claire February 28, 2011

This sounds so amazing. I tried the nature’s path love crunch granola and didn’t love it so I need to attempt this to actually taste the chocolate!

99 Hannah February 28, 2011

Oh yes. Oh yes yes yes. I just made homemade fig and cashew nut butter, and I think that that, along with this chocolate granola, would make for the best garnishes for oatbran ever…

100 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 28, 2011

this past week was awful…please send dessert granola ASAP!

101 Mac February 28, 2011

I love that this recipe is made up of basic/common ingredients!

102 Caitie @ The Caitie Experiment March 1, 2011

Oh. My. Word!! I made this granola last night (definitely one of those “saw-it-and-had-to-have-it” recipes!) and ended up skipping the stir-fry I’d planned and eating granola for dinner! It was amazing out of the oven when it was still soft — I definitely ignored your warning and won’t be tasting anything for a few days, but TOTALLY worth it! The only thing I wish I’d done was to spray my parchment paper with oil, because once the granola got hard, it stuck to the sheet I’d put in the baking pan. It didn’t stop me though… and if I die from ingesting bits of waxed paper, at least I’ll go in a fit of ecstatic, chocolate bliss! :)

103 Tamara March 1, 2011

Okay, I’m not sure if I should hate you for this recipe or love you to death….. we’ll see what my waist line says at the end of the week when I finish it off (never mind, it won’t take that long!)
SO DELISH, I’ve had 2 bowls a day since I made it last night. You are da-bomb!

p

104 Lori Delgado March 2, 2011

Wow this looks amazing and I am DEFINITELY making it! I have become obsessed with making homemade granola, 1-2 recipes/wk! Just wondering if it is very “crunchy”? I prefer mine on the crunchy side more so than chewy? Thanks!

105 marla {family fresh cooking} March 2, 2011

Loving your chocolate granola!! Especially in a parfait.

106 Jennifer March 8, 2011

I made this last night and I was amazed my family didn’t eat all of it while it was cooling. I had some with greek yogurt this morning for breakfast, AMAZING!

107 Aleasha March 9, 2011

Thats what I put mind with…..Even got my BF to eat it!

108 Aleasha March 9, 2011

I made this tonight amd OMG it is as good as it looks!

109 Skoticus March 24, 2011

Mmm…this looks good. I just posted my some granola on my blog, so I have it on my mind. And this looks so good! Is there anything besides rice syrup that would work for the clumpy effect?

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2011

maybe honey?

111 Jenny April 30, 2012

Love this. I eat it for breakfast as a treat. :) I used 1 cup of cacao nibs instead of dark chocolate chips, and the sweetness from the brown rice syrup does a really nice job of balancing the bitterness from the pure chocolate! I added some freeze-dried raspberries and strawberries and – voilà, homemade chocolate “Love Crunch” granola (from Nature’s Path).

Thanks for the great recipe! :)

112 Jessica Iannuzzi July 16, 2012

Hey Jenna,
I had a quick question. First, I love all your recipes! Second, I made my own granola last night. I’ve had the chocolate in the fridge all night and this morning. The second my hand touches it it gets SUPER melty. Do you know if theres a way to make this harden a little better?

Thanks!

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2012

Im not sure…serve it with ice cream? ;)

114 Korey September 19, 2014

Can you substitute the brown rice syrup? Maybe with maple syrup?