Raspberry Carob Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG 1278 2   Raspberry Carob Vegan Overnight Oats

Day 5 of Reno-cation Week.

I’m weak.

I’m worn down.

Every muscle in my body hurts.

And I desperately need cookies to replenish my energy stores.

Unfortunately, the thought of mixing a bowl of batter makes my arms weep in protest. The one time I really need a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies and a glass of almond milk, my body fails me. Anyone want to come cook/bake for me this week? :) I promise I won’t make you do too much painting… ;)

We’ve been living off of Vegan Overnight Oats, toast, and cereal for quick meals in a pinch. Oh, and I did manage to make a Green Monster yesterday, but even that seemed like a lot of effort! I know the logical solution to this problem would be ordering take-out all week long, but we live in the sticks and no one will deliver to us.

Luckily, these vegan overnight oats are always great when you don’t have the time (or energy) to turn on the stove. No matter how much putty will be glued to my hair by the day’s end, I know that this bowl of bliss will comfort me all day long…(or at least until lunchtime, when I drown myself into a carbohydrate coma with cereal).

IMG 12781   Raspberry Carob Vegan Overnight Oats

This bowl does the trick in a pinch, but I long for warm weather when I can start making these again!

IMG 12782   Raspberry Carob Vegan Overnight Oats

It also packs quite the nutritional punch too.

For the base ingredients:

• 352 kcals
  • 15 grams fat (2g sat fat, 6000mg Omega-3, 1819mg Omega-6) <—thank you chia seeds!
  • 45 grams carbs
  • 18 grams fibre
  • 16 grams protein
  • 7 grams sugar

I have been using 2 tbsp of chia seeds in my VOO lately because it really amps up the protein, healthy fats, fibre, iron, calcium, magnesium, and antioxidants. I also love carob powder because it is sweet enough that I feel like I don’t need to add any other sweetener (aside from the fruit, that is). For some info on carob powder, you can check out this post I wrote.

Reno-cation Update

IMG 95431   Raspberry Carob Vegan Overnight Oats

We’ve been in the washing glue off walls-putty-patching-sanding cycle for almost 2 days now.  HEEEEELP!

IMG 9540   Raspberry Carob Vegan Overnight Oats

We both agree that the worst part is washing the wallpaper GLUE off the walls! It took us several hours yesterday. Just when we thought we got all the glue off, we would find more sticky spots.

We’re being very careful about getting all the glue off this time. In other rooms that we renovated, we missed some spots of glue and it caused a lot of grief because we had to go back and fix it once we started to paint.

Moral of the story: Wallpaper is EVIL! wlEmoticon devil2   Raspberry Carob Vegan Overnight Oats

Thanks to the sanding, my hair is a lovely shade of white and I’ve got so much drywall compound on me, I think Eric is going to start sanding me down.

IMG 9541   Raspberry Carob Vegan Overnight Oats

Sketchie on the other hand is still maintaining his beauty…!

IMG 14491   Raspberry Carob Vegan Overnight Oats

More Blog Awards

Thanks for your nominations and votes!

I’ll be back with an insanely creamy vegan version of Dal Makhni. Oh yes…it’s going to be a recipe to remember. I’ve already promised Eric I would make it tonight, so I guess I can’t back out now…

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 24, 2011

I’m getting into my overnight oats again now that it has got a little warmer here in the UK. This looks delicious, I just used up all of my raspberries this morning too…darn it! Would strawberries work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2011

yup any kind of berry would go lovely with carob!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin February 24, 2011

It looks like you’re making lots of progress – the end should be in sight soon Angela!! :)

Those VOOs look awesome too!

Chelsea February 24, 2011

Those raspberries are gorrrrrrrgeous! I’m getting so excited to see the finished product in your house. There IS light at the end of the tunnel, Angela! ;)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing February 24, 2011

Raspberries just make the most gorgeous foodie photos, no?? :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite February 24, 2011

Your oats look fantastic! Painting can really be quite the job. My husband and I have 14 foot ceilings in our loft and are contemplating hiring someone to paint – though we will have to save up for it first!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2011

Eric painted the entry with vaulted ceilings and it was quite dangerous (or so I thought!!) I would recommend hiring someone…if possible. Eric said it was fine in his opinion. heh

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 24, 2011

That looks so GORGEOUS I don’t think I could eat it!! But I would of course! :P

Do you think cacao or cocoa powder would work okay? I don’t have any carob, and have no idea where I could get that in the UK…

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2011

Cocoa powder is much more bitter than carob so it would not be a substitution in this recipe, unless you added sweetener. I have not tried cacao powder before, but I think it is quite bitter too?

saffity February 24, 2011

Those VOO look awesome!!! I’ll definitely have to go home and put some in my fridge for tomorrow morning!

Quick question though, you were mentioning you tried Kasha in yesterday’s recipe and it flopped, do you have some recipes for Kasha that you usually use? I’ve got some Kasha, but the one time I dared try it, I don’t think I cooked it right, and it was a sticky paste of yuck.

Thanks for all your work with this blog, I love trying out your recipes and you really inspire me to take control of my health!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2011

That was my first time cooking with kasha and I have to say I was not impressed with the flavour or texture. I’ll have to put my thinking cap on

Kathryn February 24, 2011

kasha makes a great mix in with cold cereal – might be really good mixed into VOO for crunch on top. I don’t like it cooked, but cold is pretty tasty!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2011

isn’t it too hard to eat cold? It’s really firm uncooked…i’d be afraid to crack my tooth?

Kathryn February 24, 2011

it softens very quickly in almond milk. I think that is why it is mushy cooked, it takes on moisture quickly.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2011

Interesting…I’ll have to do a little experiment! Do you know if raw buckwheat will also get soft in cereal?

Kathryn February 24, 2011

I have not tried it 100% raw, I sprout it first. I actually mix the sprouted raw (which is SOOOO easy to sprout and then it is aaaaaliiiiivvvveeee) with the kasha for my super cereal.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 24, 2011

chia seeds are definitely the best in oats :) this post made me miss the summer and picking fresh raspberries.. sigh. good luck with everything!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious February 24, 2011

Those look great – the raspberries make it look so fresh and make me long for Springtime! I just finished my sweet potato casserole oatmeal, so maybe I will have to give this oat recipe a try next. One of the best combos ever: carob & raspberries! I would really love this topped with sliced banana as well!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 24, 2011

I used carob in my cookie dough bowl last night for the first time and it was so good!! I was pleasantly surprised that I like the taste, and it is so naturally sweet! I love:) Happy renocation!

Leanne February 24, 2011

I’m looking forward to seeing the big reveal of your reno-week :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2011

It could turn into reno cation MONTH! bahaha

Leanne February 24, 2011

I hope not! Go balls to the wall! ;) get it done, the worst thing is getting used to living in a reno-mess!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 24, 2011

Good luck with the reno – and I love carob in VOO too :)

kris | iheartwellness.com February 24, 2011

Hubba hubba!! This VOO looks smashing topped with berries!!! Yum! It took me sometime to get used to carob, now I like it!

Wallpaper is stinky evil.

Xxoo

Stephanie February 24, 2011

This may seem silly, but I LOVE how you can see the little raspberry hairs in the pictures :)

Good luck finishing out your renocation week! Can’t wait to see the end results!!!

me too :)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 24, 2011

I nominated you for the Women’s Health Blog Award as well :) You definitely deserve all the recognition you get and more!!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks February 24, 2011

That’s so low in sugar for something that sounds positively dessert-y! Looks really good, Angela. Hope a cookie fairy visits you soon =)

Allison @ Food For Healing February 24, 2011

renos are terrible, but so worth it in the end when everyone is sane and not hating eachother.

those VOO look tasty, my next try will be with vanilla soy milk and strawberry jam. Close right? lol

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 24, 2011

Oh wow– I can’t wait to see the final result!!!

I love carob! So yummy and just a little different from chocolate!

Gen February 24, 2011

Those oats look awesome!
Good luck finishing the renocation! =D

Jenn from Much to My Delight February 24, 2011

I’ve never done the overnight oat thing, but that does sound like a great solution for those mornings when I’m too busy to find a clean pair of socks, let alone turn on the stove. Your wallpaper removal project looks like it deserves a whole batch of cookies. Maybe two. Good luck!

Alyssa @ fashionfitnessfoodie February 24, 2011

I just had my first overnight oats yesterday!! They were wonderful :)
Wallpaper is EVIL! Hang in there – it’s almost over! I would bake you some cookies but they probably wouldn’t be as good as yours :)

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 24, 2011

poor Ange! I was actually thinking of making your pb choc chips cookies tonight haha! You’re welcome to come get some. Unfortunately I live in the sticks called Holland ;)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty February 24, 2011

I voted for you, cuz you’re my very favorite blogger!! :) hehe

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2011

Thanks Jessica! I will return the favour :)

Lizzie February 24, 2011

I”m guessing you can sub cacao powder for carob? Would that be weird? Would I even care, since it looks so good? :)

This renovation will also rejuvenate your marriage. I am serious!!! My husband and I went through a bathroom and kitchen reno in the last year and we’re still together! We have hired someone to paint our two (tiny) bedrooms this week, but tonight we’re taking on the ultimate project: assembling our new platform bed frame . . ha! Since we assembled our new couch a couple of months ago (with only 2 arguments, several outbursts of laughter (me), and hubby needing a shower afterwards from all the effort (read frustration at tiny pieces), this should be super easy. However it isn’t IKEA – so maybe not??

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2011

Carob is very sweet and I believe cacao is bitter, so it wouldn’t be a good sub, unless you added sweetener…carob’s flavour is very distinct.

Anna Crouch February 24, 2011

Yes, both cocoa And cacao are pretty bitter. But if u add no more than a 1/2-1tbl of agave (depending on your preference) they taste divine!

Anna Crouch February 24, 2011

Yum yum!!! This is seriously my FAVORITE way to make VOO! except I usually use cocoa powder, marrionberries and a small amount of agave (to sweeten it up a bit). Its like eating chocolate pudding with berries!!!!!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 24, 2011

Your VOO dishes always look spectacular!

I have taken wallpaper down ONCE in my life and it was more than enough. What a horrible task.

Michelle February 24, 2011

Dang, that looks like a ton of work. It’ll all be worth it when you have a pretty new room to bask in. ;)

Kathryn February 24, 2011

You’ll need a vacation to recover from the renocation! Maybe you can make the reno time pass by dreaming up your next vacation – outside of the house!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 24, 2011

Ohhhh… I don’t envy you. just think how great it will look when it is completed! :)

Thanks for the carob info – I’ve seen it everywhere lately and am curious to try it.

It definitely try-new-things season for me. Maybe a spring-fever symptom?! I used guar gum for the first time this morning and LOVED that in my smoothie/milkshake.

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com February 24, 2011

Good luck with all that house work! Glad to see you’re getting rid of that pesky wallpaper. I agree, wallpaper is the devil.

Lesley February 24, 2011

I’ve done my share of wallpaper removal, and it is NEVER fun!

As I sit here looking out my window seeing snow, those raspberries are making me long for delicious fresh summer berries!

Lady Bookworm February 24, 2011

And I thought painting around all of the oak trim in my living room and dining over the weekend was bad! You have it much worse! Good luck, and I can’t wait to see the final results!

Annette @ EnjoyYOURHealthyLife February 24, 2011

That is a lovely picture of a yummy looking breakfast- thanks!! And good luck with all that house work ;)

Stacie February 24, 2011

Ha ha ha….we live in the sticks too and hence no one will deliver to us either. We feel your pain….reno pain too :) The finished product is the best part and pushes you to keep going. You can do it!

Michelle February 24, 2011

Wallpaper is totally the devil if it’s not put on properly. The new pastes they make these days are a snap to remove. Old stuff? Sucks. The end is in sight!

Your VOO are always so pretty! I think it’s time I invested in a pretty dish to enjoy it in. [totally noshing on VOO for lunch!]

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2011

I’ve never experienced the new wallpaper…does it leave any glue/reside behind?

Sarah @ veggie-kids.blogspot.com/ February 24, 2011

Those overnight oats sound good! I love the variety of the VOO you have. Do you have pics of what your dining room will look like; an inspiration pic or the like? We’re still renting but I day dream about all the things I’d love to do when we own….ahhhhh.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2011

We kinda just improvised based off our eat-in kitchen! :)

Namaste Gurl February 24, 2011

Sounds delicious, as per usual with your overnight oats creations! I bet it would be even more yummy with coconut butter atop :)
Happy day and RENO!

Julie @ Shining From Within February 24, 2011

I love the vibrant color the raspberries give to the VOO! You always come up with the best oatmeal combinations ;). Keep on keepin’ on with reno’s! Before you know it, it’ll be over (hopefully!).

Teresa (Teresa Tastes & Travels) February 24, 2011

Another yum to add to my file, thanks! Hang in there with the reno – it can be such a nightmare, no? We’re undergoing our own major renovation right now (over at ourcornerhouse.wordpress.com) and it’s SO MUCH WORK that NEVER SEEMS TO END! The worst was when the sewer backed up into our basement during our third weekend of ownership :(. But anyway, hang in there. You’ll be so happy when it’s done! And thanks for motivating me to stay on track with healthy eating even when our kitchen is a pile of rubble. :)

Moni'sMeals February 24, 2011

yummmm! Looks soooooooo refreshing!

I really enjoyed your post yesterday too. :) You are amazing.

I am voting for ya, woohoo!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 24, 2011

Renovations are killer but so much fun. I rely on carbs to pull me through them too.

I love carobs slightly sweet and nutty flavor, sometimes more than cocoa!

Page 1 of 212»