Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

IMG 1115   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

I love salads, but I’ll be the first to admit that they can get a bit boring after a while!

Recently, I have challenged myself to have one salad a day because they are such a great way to pack in a lot of veggie servings and I tend to slack on my veggie consumption in the Winter time. We don’t have our CSA share brimming with veggies and the grocery store stock can look a bit worse for wear this time of the year. (Last week, I bought some romaine that looked so weak and frail I almost shed a tear.)

Sadly, in the Winter it is often: veggie consumption down, carb consumption UP.

But…..I do feel (and look) my best when I’m eating lots of vegetables, so I decided to make an effort to pack more into my day. The only downfall with my salad challenge is that salads can become boring pretty fast if I don’t get creative!

The other day I was eating a rather boring salad and I thought to myself, Wouldn’t it be fun if I could make a high-protein salad topper that would be easy to sprinkle on my salads? Then the wheels got turning and I started to think of different flavour combinations and I pretty much ran to the kitchen to try it out.

These salad toppers are high in protein, fibre, healthy fats, and pack in a ton of nutrients. They will give your salads (or bowls of cereal!) some extra staying power too. Have fun mixing up the flavours and making different salad combos. wlEmoticon thumbsup1   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

IMG 1103   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

This recipe really could not be any easier! I was just shocked at how quickly it came together. The great thing about this recipe is that it is completely customizable too. The flavour combinations are endless. :)

IMG 1079b   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

I’m sure you can mix up the seeds too depending on what you have!

IMG 1086b   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

Now you pick what flavours you want to use. I made Savoury and Sweet versions that were both so good.

IMG 1089b   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

IMG 1091   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

Mix together and then spread the mixture onto a pan as thin as possible. The thinner you spread it, the faster it will cook.

IMG 1077   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

Sprinkle on additional herbs, or if making the sweet version, sprinkle with cinnamon and coarse sugar. Mmmmm.

IMG 1092   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

Bake for 15 minutes at 350F and then remove from oven. Flip the large piece and then break up up with a metal spoon. Bake for another 5 minutes and then cool completely on the pan.

IMG 1083   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

In under 30 minutes, you have the most amazingly delicious healthy salad or cereal topping.

IMG 1120   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

I baked mine up chewy, but if you wanted them crispy you could bake them longer. It is totally up to you. They do firm up slightly when cooling, so keep that in mind.

IMG 11031   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

I’m going to warn you, they are SUPER addicting! I loved eating them like a ‘cracker’ too. They would be amazing with hummus (what wouldn’t though?).

IMG 1111   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

IMG 11151   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

This morning, I discovered that the Sweet cinnamon sugar flavour is also incredible on cereal! It is chewy and really amps up a bowl of cereal in a flash. I’m sure it would also rock in a bowl of hot oatmeal or VOO.

IMG 1124   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

Anyone want to join in the salad challenge with me? I’m curious to see what other flavours you guys can come up with! If you have any ideas or make any other versions, leave me a comment below!

~~

Yesterday, I got some exciting news. wlEmoticon surprisedsmile   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

blog awards badge   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

I have been selected as a finalist in Best Health Magazine’s Health Blog Awards in the Eat Well category.

Voting is now open and I would greatly appreciate your vote! All you do is enter your name and email address and then click to vote. You can vote daily if you’d like to. Voting is open until March 21 and winner’s are announced on March 31st. When you vote you are entered to win a chance at a free subscription to the magazine. :) Thank you so much for your support! wlEmoticon redheart1   Pump It Up Customizable Salad and Cereal Toppers

Have a great day. It appears I have a long day of bakery work ahead of me today. ;)

megan @ blackberries for jam February 16, 2011

Congratulations on being named a finalist! And this recipe is incredibly creative. I’ll definitely be trying it with hummus. I bet it would be great with a sweet hummus too.

BrightBakes February 16, 2011

Wow! those salad toppers are so creative, Angela! I love how you always come up with something unique and out of the ordinary…My favorite salad combo of late has been a buffalo/ranch theme…chickpeas tossed with hot pepper sauce, homemade greek yogurt ranch dressing with plenty of romaine, celery, carrots, black olives, green onions, and tomato. Love it!
cathy b.

Leanne (For Health's Sake) February 16, 2011

Those crackers look so tasty. I’m going to have a salad tonight because of you… thanks! :D

Charlie February 16, 2011

These are like croutons. 1000 times better!

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com February 16, 2011

Congrats! Love the salad and cereal toppers idea. I can always go for some extra crunch. Not so sure about the hemp seeds though- they are a bit funky.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 16, 2011

Congratulations on becoming a finalist! I’m going to check out that link in a bit.

I am with you on needing more veggies. And I laughed at your romaine story only because that is how my last pack of romaine looks — wilty and frail. The crunch was not there :(

Julie February 16, 2011

Ahhh! Those cinnamon sugar toppers sound AMAZING! Almost like super healthy cinnamon toast vrunch! ;) Instead of a salad challenge im going to do a green monster challenge. One a day! Congrats on getting nominated :D

Bronwyn February 16, 2011

Yummy. I need to get back into salad consumption; it’s so easy to fall off the salad bandwagon in winter, even though they’re so delicious!
Congrats on the nomination!

Shanna February 16, 2011

Craisins, slivered almonds, pine nuts, salsa =)

The Restaurant Manager February 16, 2011

That Salad looks far from boring. I absolutely love the picture you post with your blogs. I’ll be voting today for your blog! Hope you win! =)

Kelly February 16, 2011

I’ve been eating a salad most days of the week already! I’m on a big sprouted peas and roasted pumpkin seeds right now as salad toppers. Your topper looks delicious!

Merage February 16, 2011

Love the idea and LOVE veggies! So here’s the salad I made last night (it’s a bit of a variation on the normal salad). I needed to get rid of all the veggies in my fridge (1. so they wouldn’t spoil 2. so I could go buy more). So here’s what happened.

1 Bunch fresh asparagus
Fresh green beans
spinach
2 small eggplants
1 large zucchini
1 cup garbanzo beans

(Last week I made the same salad with asparagus, green beans, garbanzo beans and cubed portobello mushrooms)

I cut the green beans and asparagus into 2 1/2- 3 inch pieces, and lightly steamed them and left them to cool. I added a little bit of lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to the eggplants and zucchini (I peeled and cubed the eggplant and half peeled and cubed the zucchini) and placed them in a cookie pan to bake in the oven (until lightly roasted). I took those out and allowed them to cool slightly as well. (When I used the mushrooms, I just lightly sauteed them in a bit of olive oil with some sea salt.) I mixed the veggies together in a big bowl and then comes the dressing :D.

Dressing:
2 heaping tablespoons plain yogurt (can be substituted with non-dairy plain yogurt)
2 tablespoons of tahini paste
juice of 1 large lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons of dried mint
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk together. The dressing will be a bit thick, but when mixed into salad, it’ll be perfect (cause it coats everything perfectly). I would spoon it by the tablespoon and mix just to make sure you don’t over coat.

Sorry I took up so much comment space but this is such a filling and satisfying salad that I had to share. There is enough salad here for 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 servings (depending on how much salad you eat at once :D)

:) Enjoy

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2011

Wow I will certainly be trying this…sounds so good! Thanks for sharing :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 16, 2011

Your salad topper looks amazing! I usually just throw some seeds and/or nuts and call it a day, but I love your idea to bake up a crunchy topper. I need to try this!

Heather (heathers dish) February 16, 2011

Mmmm…anything that adds some extra oomf to salads wins in my book!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan February 16, 2011

I love salads and usually eat one a day in the warmer months. I really should eat them more often in the winter. This salad topper looks wonderful!
Question–What is the mat you put on your baking sheet?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2011

its a Silpat…I love it! http://silpat.com/

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner February 16, 2011

Wow, that looks delicious! I love adding a little crunch to my salads. I am really good about getting plenty of fruits and veggies by mixing up which ones I eat. Today I sautéed a couple of beets because I haven’t had them in almost a year, and they were so delicious!

Moni'sMeals February 16, 2011

Now this is creative! I eat a salad everyday, but I need some of your toppings.
and…

CONGRATS!

Kristy @ KristyRuns February 16, 2011

What a great idea! I would love to create something like this to add to my overnight oats…instead of just piling on chocolate hazelnut butter. While delicious, I could probably use a bit more variety. ;)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day February 16, 2011

I love this idea! Costco just put out a new product that is similar. It’s a salad topping mix that has cranberries, sunflower seeds, etc. I hear it’s great and all natural!

I always feel best when veggie intake is high and sugar intake is low – so I’m joining this salad challenge with you!

Allison @ Food For Healing February 16, 2011

i love bright colours in salads, thats the best!

Svetlana February 16, 2011

I totally agree!!! I love salads but at some point I just get tired of the same salad!!! :( Now this addition looks delicious! Cant wait to try it!!

You got my vote! ;)

Jodi February 16, 2011

Congratulations on the nomination!

I have 2 go-to salads:

1. Spinach (or mixed greens), tomato, cucumber, chickpeas (or white beans), dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and a balsamic dressing.
2. Mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, chickpeas, cubed tofu (if you like it), and balsamic dressing.

Bridget February 16, 2011

Good luck in the contest! I’m gonna go vote right now!

Bridget February 16, 2011

Good luck in the contest! I’m gonna go vote right now!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 16, 2011

omg, these salad toppers are genius!!! Cannot wait to make them :D

Nichole February 16, 2011

Congrats! I will definately vote for you!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 16, 2011

What a great alternative to croutons!

Lizzie February 16, 2011

Your better than balsamic is a HUGE hit in our house – my husband loves it!! I agree about salads getting boring, especially in winter, but I have tired throwing in a pink grapefruit (when on special), or an apple or something like that. I like these crumbles though!!

Ellie@fitforthesoul February 16, 2011

What a great idea Angela!! How about a really coconutty topper? Or a tropical one! With bananas and dried mangoes…click! i VOTED

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 16, 2011

This may be your best (non-chocolate) idea yet! I’d add some sesame seeds and Chinese 5-Spice for an Asian salad. Mmmm!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 16, 2011

It’s like granola for your salad! I love it! How brilliant. I have so many clients that would benefit from this. Thanks for the fantastic recipe.

Just voted, congratulations and good luck!

Megan February 16, 2011

Congrats on being named finalist – Go OSG! Just got done voting. And I’m salivating looking at those salad toppers – yum.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 16, 2011

PS: now I have that 90′s song stuck in my head “pump, pump it up, pump the jam now the beat is pumpin….”

Alaina February 16, 2011

What an awesome recognition! I voted for you!

I’m in the same boat when it comes to boring salads. I need to “pump it up” too!! :-)

Meredith February 16, 2011

I love this idea! Very Fresh-esque. I’ll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the reminder about the CSA — I’m going to talk to my fiance about buying a share this year!

As for winter veggies – I always have a big pot of homemade vegetable soup in the fridge that I eat for lunch. It really keeps me on track. Your highprotein green monster split pea soup is in my regular rotation!

Maryann February 16, 2011

Any suggestions to make the salad Toppers gluten free.?
They sound delicious but I need a gluten and oat free variety.
Conngratulations!

Gina February 16, 2011

just use a gluten free flour and Bob Mill’s gluten free oats

Deborah February 16, 2011

How about quinoa flakes and quinoa flour…that would add more protein too!!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 16, 2011

wow super cool! I would’ve never thought of something like this. I try and eat more salads too so this’ll help, merci!

JT February 16, 2011

Congratulations on being a finalist! I love that magazine!
Mauk Family Farms has a raw “crust” that looks very similar to your salad toppers…but they cost a small fortune! This will be a great way to boost up the ‘ol salad!
Everyday we are getting closer to spring and the start of fresh veggie season, we just finished up our last garden carrots….WAH! Can’t wait…..

ps I really really love your blog….I check the computer every morning to see if the school bus is running, then the weather and then OSG :) :) :) :)

Veggie Girl @ Finally Fit for Summer February 16, 2011

Love love love your blog and will vote for you :) Ive added you to my blog list too!!

Ella February 16, 2011

I’ll get on board with the salad a day challange, expecially with valentines day (and my 21st birthday) a few days ago my diet has been more pink frosted topped off with lots of beer than green! My skin looks like crapola because of it!

Page 1 of 41234»