Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

IMG 0946   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

I think I picked the right week for my Fall Back in training because my cold symptoms seem to have progressed into the stomach flu. wlEmoticon embarrassedsmile   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies …Never a fun way to start the weekend, especially when we have a lot of fun things planned.

IMG 09531   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

These early Valentine’s Day Tulips helped cheer me up though! Eric brought these home from work on Friday night because he knows I’ve been feeling under the weather. Tulips are one of our favourite flowers because they remind us of Spring. :)

IMG 0951   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

I’m going to try and save the bulbs after the flowers die so I can plant them outdoors in the Fall.

IMG 08981   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

I hope I don’t kill them soon. I don’t exactly have a green thumb!

I was not in the mood to bake today (that’s when you know I’m really not feeling myself). Lucky for me, Eric already planned on baking his next pick for the Valentine’s Day Recipe Contest, so I got to read snuggled up on the couch while he slaved away in the kitchen. Well, he did ask for some photography help, but it was pretty quick for this recipe. ;)

IMG 0925   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

IMG 0908b   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

Mise en place!

IMG 0910b   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

The maple syrup is invisible because it was an add-in at the last minute when Eric didn’t think the dough was sweet enough. ;)

Mix dry and wet separately and then stir together. Make sure to sift the cocoa powder too.

IMG 0914   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

Fold in the chocolate and coconut. Eric says, ‘Then eat lots of dough to determine if you need more chocolate.’

Using a retractable ice cream scooper (this was Eric’s tip!) or your hands, portion into balls and gently shape.

IMG 0916   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

Eric made 20 brownie bites.

IMG 0918   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

I think he wins for the most perfectly shaped brownie bites ever.

Bake for 12 minutes at 350F.

IMG 09251   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

You can also flatten the cookie dough and cut them into hearts, as shown below. Eric preferred the bites though because they are nice and thick to bite into.

IMG 0926   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

Nice work hubby!

IMG 0932   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

Eric’s review:

• Soft and chocolaty, but not over-powering from sweetness
  • Wholesome and nutty- he liked the whole wheat flour
  • A perfect 2-bite size
  • Would be good with ice cream and LOTS of chocolate sauce ;) hehe

When my tummy is feeling a bit better, I will definitely be trying some with some Banana Soft Serve. wlEmoticon lightbulb   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate BrowniesIf there are any left, that is!

Congrats to Jessica for the winning recipe. Please email me at angela [at] ohsheglows.com to claim your prize. :)

IMG 0945   Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

For the rest of the Valentine’s Day recipes, be sure to check out the photo collection on my Recipes Page. My two favourites are here and here.

I’d like to start a new book this weekend. Anyone read any good books lately? I’d like something fiction for a change. :)

Meg February 12, 2011

Feel better girl!! Tis the season for feeling like absolute garbage. xoxo

Kelli February 12, 2011

Wow! What a great recipe. I have been looking for something like this.

Emily Wilson February 12, 2011

I just finished reading Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls. It is the story of the author’s grandmother, told in the voice of the grandmother. It’s about her entire lifetime, up to the birth of her granddaughter (the book’s author), living on ranches, riding horses, becoming a teacher, trying city life, etc. It has a lot more to it than just your average cowgirl story though. The depth of the characters is refreshing and the life lessons and insight it contains are valuable. It’s one of those books you can’t wait to get back to to find out what happens next! I really enjoyed it! Let me know what you think if you decide to read it! :) P.S.: I made your Healthy Banana Cranberry Oat Bars to take to my drawing class yesterday and they were a huge hit! Thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes and for being such an inspiration to me an so many others!

Brenda Fisher February 12, 2011

Just downloaded this to my Kindle. Can’t wait to start it tonight, sounds interesting.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin February 12, 2011

Ugh so sorry you’re not feeling so hot – I hope it goes away quickly! Those look DELICIOUS.

Andrea @ Vegvacious February 12, 2011

Those little treats look wonderful. I think I have everything for the recipe and a brand new heart-shaped cookie cutter I am dying to try out ~ I will have to get baking this afternoon I think. I like the way your husband thinks (about the cookie dough eating that is – dough taste testing is vital in many baking recipes ;-) and it’s quite impressive that he made those on his own. Maybe I need to send my hubby over for some lessons in the kitchen!!

Hope you are feeling better really soon!!

Little Bookworm February 12, 2011

Hope you feel better soon!

JenATX February 12, 2011

Eric is adorable :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 12, 2011

I’m pretty sure I could take care of these in 1 bite!!!
I just started reading The Help and even though I’m not much of a reader, i really like this book!! I’d recommend it for sure. :)

Michelle February 12, 2011

The Help is AWESOME.

Suzanne February 12, 2011

I’ve heard The Help is a wonderful book. Can’t wait to read it!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 12, 2011

The tulips are wonderful! And the same holds for your brownies! :D I just have couple of almond and plum muffins in the oven, and they already start casting a nice scent across my apartment. Chocolate brownies shall be next! ;)

I’m sorry to hear you’re ill, I hope you’ll get better soon!

Bronwyn February 12, 2011

Those look so good! Yummy! They look so soft and chewy. Yum yum.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 12, 2011

these look delicious- feel better love!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 12, 2011

Nice work on Jessica’s two bite goodies! They look wonderful. And I love how you made some into heart shapes…too cute :)

I am so sorry you’re sick, Angela! The tulips are beautiful (I love tulips, I think more so than roses) and how nice of Eric to pamper you a little bit. I hope you pamper yourself and sit on the couch and chill and get better soon :)

Christine February 12, 2011

Read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It’s like Twilight but for smart people (and no vampires).

Jesse February 14, 2011

I LOVE the Outlander series! There at 7 books and more on the way.

Christine February 14, 2011

Yeah, my mom introduced me to them a few years ago. She read all of the books that were available at the time in a matter of weeks. I fell in love with Jamie, like most other women, the minute I met him in the first book. This was only a few months before Twilight came out. I was shocked that people actually loved a controlling person like Edward. To me, Jamie is 1000 times better. It makes me want to travel to Scotland to find a husband!

Allison @ OneWhiteTulip February 12, 2011

Hope you feel better! nothing really says spring like a tulip!

If you’re in for a quick, breezy (and a little creepy) book, James Patterson’s crime mysteries are always really interesting!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt February 12, 2011

I am reading a really good book right now called Loving Frank. I highly recommend it! I hope that you feel better soon. :)

Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 12, 2011

Yum, anything with chocolate is good in my books! These look tasty.

Hope you feel better soon. Book recommendation: The Poet by Michael Connelly – it’s a murder/mystery, somewhat of an easy read, but really kept me going until the end!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 12, 2011

Oooh those look DELICIOUS! A deserving winner methinks! :P

Feel better soon girl! I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and I really recommend it! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 12, 2011

PPERFECT:) I have been craving chocolate like it’s nobody’s biznass, I can’t wait to make these! Healthy desserts are my favorite:)

Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc February 12, 2011

Oh no! Hope you get well soon. It’s so sweet for eric to buy you tulips! They are my favourite too:) Anyway, this recipe looks wonderful! I’m gonna try this with gf flour. Hopefully it’ll work! Fingers crossed

Catherine February 12, 2011

If you’re looking for good fiction, read The Pact by Jodi Picoult. Best book I have ever read you will finish it in two days. I am a psychology major like you were so I LOVED it, and it was the most interesting and heart felt book. I hope you look into it!!!

Marty February 13, 2011

Any book by Jody Piccoulte is good. I think my favorite is Keeping Faith with the rest not far behind!

Vanessa February 12, 2011

There is nothing like a good book and a day on the couch to make a girl feel better.

Here are some of my recent fav reads: The Help-Kathryn Stockett, Still Alice-Lisa Genova, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime-Mark Haddon and One Day-David Nicholls.

Get well!

Jennifer February 14, 2011

I am reading Lisa Genova’s next book Left Neglected. Starting out very interesting.

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 12, 2011

SO YUM AND SO CUTE!!! my these are just little babies i wna pop in my mouth!

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 12, 2011

Feel better girl! It is never pleasant to have tummy issues….did you eat something “off” do you think?

These little gems look gorg!!!

xxoo

Laura February 12, 2011

yummy!
I reccomend; Cutting for Stone, Change of Heart-JodiPicoult, & The Bean Trees- Barbara Kingsolvre.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 12, 2011

Mmm these look wonderful! I’m always looking for healthier treats to bake for the boyfriend because he tends to eat snacks late at night – these fit the bill perfectly!!

Katheryn February 12, 2011

I love reading the Shopaholic books when I’m sick. They’re funny and a quick read. Hope you feel better soon!

Natalia - a side of simple February 12, 2011

Hope you feel better, Angela. I got slammed with a cold this weekend, so I think some chocolate brownies are in order for making me feel better, right? ;) The heart one is my favorite!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 12, 2011

Aww, I hope you feel better soon! Stomach flu is NEVER fun, but especially not on Valentine’s Day weekend!!!

Allison @ Food For Healing February 12, 2011

i dont see how you always can have so many desserts in the house! do you give some away, eat it all or throw it out?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 13, 2011

I answered this on my FAQ page because I’m asked it a lot. lol ;)

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) February 12, 2011

Sorry you aren’t feeling well! It must be great to have Eric cook for you though :)

Lauren February 12, 2011

Wow, these sound great, and I’m sure they were even better because Eric baked them for you.
I recommend Water for Elephants (the movie is coming out this spring too) or Born to Run.

Jasmine February 12, 2011

I definitely second the Water for Elephants recommendation. It’s a great book.
Also, “the Art of Racing in the Rain”

Jess@atasteofconfidence February 12, 2011

feel better!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 12, 2011

Oh no! Stomach bugs are my worst nightmare. Feel better soon!!!

Carly February 12, 2011

Hmmm, I have read a lot of fiction lately, here are some faves!

Anything Jodie Picoult, I don’t have a favorite they have all been good!
The hour I first believed by Wally Lamb. Heavy, but great.
Knocked up by Rebecca Eckler, I dare you not to laugh at loud at this one.

Feel better soon!

Suzanne February 12, 2011

She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb was also great!!! It was crazy but good :)

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 12, 2011

Feel better! and yay Eric – these look awesome!

Moni'sMeals February 12, 2011

Hope you feel better and can rest up.

I will make these for sure. Yum! I make anything that is “2 bites”. :)

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 12, 2011

I’m loving all of the chocolate recipes! Chocolate itself will be my valentine this year :) Hope you feel better soon! I know when my stomach is upset, mint tea mixed with stomach ease tea can help. That or any ginger. Feel better!

Sabrina February 12, 2011

Get better Ang! we’re routing for you. I am soo going to make these but I am thinking i might sub the oatmeal with puffed quinoa or puffed rice, Im thinking if it stays crisp it will make a really nice chocolate bite with a bit of a crispy crunch to it. I will let u know how it turns out.
Sabrs

Hannah February 12, 2011

Angela, this is torture! Do I make these or the cookies from yesterday first? Ack!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 12, 2011

Did you and Jenna plan a two bite dessert theme today? ;)

Page 1 of 3123»