Two Bite Double Down Dark Chocolate Brownies

IMG_0946

I think I picked the right week for my Fall Back in training because my cold symptoms seem to have progressed into the stomach flu. Embarrassed smile …Never a fun way to start the weekend, especially when we have a lot of fun things planned.

IMG_0953

These early Valentine’s Day Tulips helped cheer me up though! Eric brought these home from work on Friday night because he knows I’ve been feeling under the weather. Tulips are one of our favourite flowers because they remind us of Spring. :)

IMG_0951

I’m going to try and save the bulbs after the flowers die so I can plant them outdoors in the Fall.

IMG_0898

I hope I don’t kill them soon. I don’t exactly have a green thumb!

I was not in the mood to bake today (that’s when you know I’m really not feeling myself). Lucky for me, Eric already planned on baking his next pick for the Valentine’s Day Recipe Contest, so I got to read snuggled up on the couch while he slaved away in the kitchen. Well, he did ask for some photography help, but it was pretty quick for this recipe. ;)

IMG_0925

IMG_0908b

Mise en place!

IMG_0910b

The maple syrup is invisible because it was an add-in at the last minute when Eric didn’t think the dough was sweet enough. ;)

Mix dry and wet separately and then stir together. Make sure to sift the cocoa powder too.

IMG_0914

Fold in the chocolate and coconut. Eric says, ‘Then eat lots of dough to determine if you need more chocolate.’

Using a retractable ice cream scooper (this was Eric’s tip!) or your hands, portion into balls and gently shape.

IMG_0916

Eric made 20 brownie bites.

IMG_0918

I think he wins for the most perfectly shaped brownie bites ever.

Bake for 12 minutes at 350F.

IMG_0925

You can also flatten the cookie dough and cut them into hearts, as shown below. Eric preferred the bites though because they are nice and thick to bite into.

IMG_0926

Nice work hubby!

IMG_0932

Eric’s review:

• Soft and chocolaty, but not over-powering from sweetness
  • Wholesome and nutty- he liked the whole wheat flour
  • A perfect 2-bite size
  • Would be good with ice cream and LOTS of chocolate sauce ;) hehe

When my tummy is feeling a bit better, I will definitely be trying some with some Banana Soft Serve. Light bulbIf there are any left, that is!

Congrats to Jessica for the winning recipe. Please email me at angela [at] ohsheglows.com to claim your prize. :)

IMG_0945

For the rest of the Valentine’s Day recipes, be sure to check out the photo collection on my Recipes Page. My two favourites are here and here.

I’d like to start a new book this weekend. Anyone read any good books lately? I’d like something fiction for a change. :)

1 Meg February 12, 2011

Feel better girl!! Tis the season for feeling like absolute garbage. xoxo

2 Kelli February 12, 2011

Wow! What a great recipe. I have been looking for something like this.

3 Emily Wilson February 12, 2011

I just finished reading Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls. It is the story of the author’s grandmother, told in the voice of the grandmother. It’s about her entire lifetime, up to the birth of her granddaughter (the book’s author), living on ranches, riding horses, becoming a teacher, trying city life, etc. It has a lot more to it than just your average cowgirl story though. The depth of the characters is refreshing and the life lessons and insight it contains are valuable. It’s one of those books you can’t wait to get back to to find out what happens next! I really enjoyed it! Let me know what you think if you decide to read it! :) P.S.: I made your Healthy Banana Cranberry Oat Bars to take to my drawing class yesterday and they were a huge hit! Thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes and for being such an inspiration to me an so many others!

4 Brenda Fisher February 12, 2011

Just downloaded this to my Kindle. Can’t wait to start it tonight, sounds interesting.

5 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin February 12, 2011

Ugh so sorry you’re not feeling so hot – I hope it goes away quickly! Those look DELICIOUS.

6 Andrea @ Vegvacious February 12, 2011

Those little treats look wonderful. I think I have everything for the recipe and a brand new heart-shaped cookie cutter I am dying to try out ~ I will have to get baking this afternoon I think. I like the way your husband thinks (about the cookie dough eating that is – dough taste testing is vital in many baking recipes ;-) and it’s quite impressive that he made those on his own. Maybe I need to send my hubby over for some lessons in the kitchen!!

Hope you are feeling better really soon!!

7 Little Bookworm February 12, 2011

Hope you feel better soon!

8 JenATX February 12, 2011

Eric is adorable :)

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 12, 2011

I’m pretty sure I could take care of these in 1 bite!!!
I just started reading The Help and even though I’m not much of a reader, i really like this book!! I’d recommend it for sure. :)

10 Michelle February 12, 2011

The Help is AWESOME.

11 Suzanne February 12, 2011

I’ve heard The Help is a wonderful book. Can’t wait to read it!

12 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 12, 2011

The tulips are wonderful! And the same holds for your brownies! :D I just have couple of almond and plum muffins in the oven, and they already start casting a nice scent across my apartment. Chocolate brownies shall be next! ;)

I’m sorry to hear you’re ill, I hope you’ll get better soon!

13 Bronwyn February 12, 2011

Those look so good! Yummy! They look so soft and chewy. Yum yum.

14 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 12, 2011

these look delicious- feel better love!

15 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 12, 2011

Nice work on Jessica’s two bite goodies! They look wonderful. And I love how you made some into heart shapes…too cute :)

I am so sorry you’re sick, Angela! The tulips are beautiful (I love tulips, I think more so than roses) and how nice of Eric to pamper you a little bit. I hope you pamper yourself and sit on the couch and chill and get better soon :)

16 Christine February 12, 2011

Read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It’s like Twilight but for smart people (and no vampires).

17 Jesse February 14, 2011

I LOVE the Outlander series! There at 7 books and more on the way.

18 Christine February 14, 2011

Yeah, my mom introduced me to them a few years ago. She read all of the books that were available at the time in a matter of weeks. I fell in love with Jamie, like most other women, the minute I met him in the first book. This was only a few months before Twilight came out. I was shocked that people actually loved a controlling person like Edward. To me, Jamie is 1000 times better. It makes me want to travel to Scotland to find a husband!

19 Allison @ OneWhiteTulip February 12, 2011

Hope you feel better! nothing really says spring like a tulip!

If you’re in for a quick, breezy (and a little creepy) book, James Patterson’s crime mysteries are always really interesting!

20 Erin @ The Grass Skirt February 12, 2011

I am reading a really good book right now called Loving Frank. I highly recommend it! I hope that you feel better soon. :)

21 Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 12, 2011

Yum, anything with chocolate is good in my books! These look tasty.

Hope you feel better soon. Book recommendation: The Poet by Michael Connelly – it’s a murder/mystery, somewhat of an easy read, but really kept me going until the end!

22 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 12, 2011

Oooh those look DELICIOUS! A deserving winner methinks! :P

Feel better soon girl! I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and I really recommend it! :)

23 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 12, 2011

PPERFECT:) I have been craving chocolate like it’s nobody’s biznass, I can’t wait to make these! Healthy desserts are my favorite:)

24 Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc February 12, 2011

Oh no! Hope you get well soon. It’s so sweet for eric to buy you tulips! They are my favourite too:) Anyway, this recipe looks wonderful! I’m gonna try this with gf flour. Hopefully it’ll work! Fingers crossed

25 Catherine February 12, 2011

If you’re looking for good fiction, read The Pact by Jodi Picoult. Best book I have ever read you will finish it in two days. I am a psychology major like you were so I LOVED it, and it was the most interesting and heart felt book. I hope you look into it!!!

26 Marty February 13, 2011

Any book by Jody Piccoulte is good. I think my favorite is Keeping Faith with the rest not far behind!

27 Vanessa February 12, 2011

There is nothing like a good book and a day on the couch to make a girl feel better.

Here are some of my recent fav reads: The Help-Kathryn Stockett, Still Alice-Lisa Genova, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime-Mark Haddon and One Day-David Nicholls.

Get well!

28 Jennifer February 14, 2011

I am reading Lisa Genova’s next book Left Neglected. Starting out very interesting.

29 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 12, 2011

SO YUM AND SO CUTE!!! my these are just little babies i wna pop in my mouth!

30 Kris | iheartwellness.com February 12, 2011

Feel better girl! It is never pleasant to have tummy issues….did you eat something “off” do you think?

These little gems look gorg!!!

xxoo

31 Laura February 12, 2011

yummy!
I reccomend; Cutting for Stone, Change of Heart-JodiPicoult, & The Bean Trees- Barbara Kingsolvre.

32 Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 12, 2011

Mmm these look wonderful! I’m always looking for healthier treats to bake for the boyfriend because he tends to eat snacks late at night – these fit the bill perfectly!!

33 Katheryn February 12, 2011

I love reading the Shopaholic books when I’m sick. They’re funny and a quick read. Hope you feel better soon!

34 Natalia - a side of simple February 12, 2011

Hope you feel better, Angela. I got slammed with a cold this weekend, so I think some chocolate brownies are in order for making me feel better, right? ;) The heart one is my favorite!

35 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 12, 2011

Aww, I hope you feel better soon! Stomach flu is NEVER fun, but especially not on Valentine’s Day weekend!!!

36 Allison @ Food For Healing February 12, 2011

i dont see how you always can have so many desserts in the house! do you give some away, eat it all or throw it out?

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 13, 2011

I answered this on my FAQ page because I’m asked it a lot. lol ;)

38 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) February 12, 2011

Sorry you aren’t feeling well! It must be great to have Eric cook for you though :)

39 Lauren February 12, 2011

Wow, these sound great, and I’m sure they were even better because Eric baked them for you.
I recommend Water for Elephants (the movie is coming out this spring too) or Born to Run.

40 Jasmine February 12, 2011

I definitely second the Water for Elephants recommendation. It’s a great book.
Also, “the Art of Racing in the Rain”

41 Jess@atasteofconfidence February 12, 2011

feel better!

42 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 12, 2011

Oh no! Stomach bugs are my worst nightmare. Feel better soon!!!

43 Carly February 12, 2011

Hmmm, I have read a lot of fiction lately, here are some faves!

Anything Jodie Picoult, I don’t have a favorite they have all been good!
The hour I first believed by Wally Lamb. Heavy, but great.
Knocked up by Rebecca Eckler, I dare you not to laugh at loud at this one.

Feel better soon!

44 Suzanne February 12, 2011

She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb was also great!!! It was crazy but good :)

45 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 12, 2011

Feel better! and yay Eric – these look awesome!

46 Moni'sMeals February 12, 2011

Hope you feel better and can rest up.

I will make these for sure. Yum! I make anything that is “2 bites”. :)

47 Alex @ Healing Beauty February 12, 2011

I’m loving all of the chocolate recipes! Chocolate itself will be my valentine this year :) Hope you feel better soon! I know when my stomach is upset, mint tea mixed with stomach ease tea can help. That or any ginger. Feel better!

48 Sabrina February 12, 2011

Get better Ang! we’re routing for you. I am soo going to make these but I am thinking i might sub the oatmeal with puffed quinoa or puffed rice, Im thinking if it stays crisp it will make a really nice chocolate bite with a bit of a crispy crunch to it. I will let u know how it turns out.
Sabrs

49 Hannah February 12, 2011

Angela, this is torture! Do I make these or the cookies from yesterday first? Ack!

50 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 12, 2011

Did you and Jenna plan a two bite dessert theme today? ;)

51 stacey-healthylife February 12, 2011

Hope you feel better so you can enjoy some chocolate for v day. Looks like Eric did a great job.

52 Michelle February 12, 2011

Yum! The dangerous part is that they’re one-bite…which can turn into 2, 3, 4 bite. ;)

53 Michelle February 12, 2011

The Invisible Bridge was an amazing book! I just started The Swan Thieves and that’s really interesting so far as well!

54 Laura February 12, 2011

If you haven’t already read it, you might enjoy the book Long Quiet Highway by Natalie Goldberg. It is a really interesting, moving book about a woman’s journey to find herself. Feel better soon!

55 Jena February 12, 2011

Looks great!
I’m really curious to know if Eric is vegan too? If not, I’d love to see a post about how you guys juggle/work around that!
Also, just wanted to say I’ve been really enjoying the variety of your posts lately, I ADORE your recipes, but it has been really fun reading about your running, ect too.

56 Jena February 12, 2011

Oh and for books – I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last week while on vacation in Cuba. It was great, totally lived up to the hype.
I think I remember you saying something about never having read Twilight on Twitter… Try the Sookie Stackhouse novels (they’re what the HBO show True Blood are based off of), they’re awesome.

57 Gail February 13, 2011

I second the Sookie Stackhouse novels. I love them! Just finished the fifth book :0)

58 Suzanne February 12, 2011

Marian Keyes writes some HILARIOUS fiction books. Any of them are great, easy reads. I also really enjoyed “The Pillars of the Earth” by Ken Follett and “East of Eden” by Steinbeck.

59 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 12, 2011

I hope you feel better…

I am loving lots of free Kindle books from amazon… I just finished A Dog Named Slugger..

60 Baking 'n' Books February 12, 2011

Oh my – I could talk about books forever!!

Well, what types do you like?? I’d like your recommendations actually – future post??!! :)

I haven’t been reading fiction lately…but a few from the past maybe:

My Sister’s Keeper – Jodi Picoult (this is the only book I’ve read from her, but a total tear-jerker…I was bawling at the end)

Remember Me? – Sophie Kinsella (pure Chick Lit – good for when your not up to ‘snuff maybe)

Um…The Twilight Series? ;)

Feel better soon.

61 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 12, 2011

Sorry you aren’t feeling well!

These look delicious — 2 bite brownies, what a cute idea! Congrats to Jessica!

62 tasha the clean eating mams February 12, 2011

Hi Angela! I just wanted to tell you that i featured you in my blog :-)http://www.thecleaneatingmama.com/2011/02/valentine-treats.htm
happy valentines day! Xoxo

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 13, 2011

thank you! :)

64 Violette February 12, 2011

I just have to recommend these two books for your next next book when you feel like going back to non-fiction books maybe: Nothing To Envy by Barbara Demick (about North Korea, absolutely amazing) and Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff (a long read, but enchanting)

65 Ashley February 12, 2011

Eric MADE these?????? I hope he wore your apron!!! :)

66 Sarah (Flavoropolis) February 12, 2011

Feel better soon! Eric sounds incredibly sweet and like a great baker to boot!

67 DORIS February 12, 2011

one question – my hubby don’t like shredded coconut, is there anything I can replace with or just omit?

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 13, 2011

hmm not sure. ground almonds? :)

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 13, 2011

I was just thinking about this again last night and I do think the recipe would work without any coconut at all. :)

70 Kelsie February 16, 2011

I was thinking crushed up pretzels would be yummy. Maybe even add some peanut butter, too? To add to the salty yumminess :)

71 Amber K February 13, 2011

Hope you feel better soon!!

72 Erin February 13, 2011

the best book i have read in the past year is definitely the Hunger Games trilogy! i simply could NOT put them down! I recommend that everyone drops what they are doing and head out and get these books, pronto! but in your case, send eric as you are sick :( Feel better!!

73 jenn @f&f February 13, 2011

Revolutionary road!

74 Gail February 13, 2011

I really liked “Saving CeeCee Honeycut”. I don’t remember the author’s name. It’s set in the 60’s and it’s about a 12 year old girl who’s father is on the road a lot, and mother is bi-polar. She has no friends because of her mother, and after her mother commits suicide, her great aunt from Georgia comes to take her down south and raise her. There, she meets all of her great aunt’s friends and cooky neighbors and starts to learn what it means to have friendship. It sounds like an awful story (where her mother kills herself), but it really is a heartwarming story. I really enjoyed it and so did my friend.
Also, the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris are really good and fun (HBO’s True Blood is based on them).
I hope you feel better!

75 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 13, 2011

yum! these sound truly amazing…congrats Jessica!

76 Rachel (tea and chocolate) February 13, 2011

Those tulips are gorgeous! They remind me of spring too. At my elementary school, the whole school would plant the bulbs in the fall and the school grounds would be covered in tulips in the spring.

77 Kim February 13, 2011

Hi, Angela – hope you feel better soon. You can plant what is left of your tulips outside in the spring after they bloom. You don’t need to pay any attention to them at all after that, and next spring they should come right back and reward you with new flowers.

Love your blog. At my hosue we are addicted to variations of your overnight oats and your banana flax power muffins.

78 Roz February 13, 2011

Eric, these look amazing. And Angela, feel better SOON!!!

79 Audrey February 13, 2011

Feel better soon, Angela!

These brownie bites look really good–kind of like those no-bake cookies (except these are baked). I love how perfectly shaped they are. They almost look like truffles or something.

80 Susie February 13, 2011

we forgot the brown sugar and these were still really good!!

81 Meaghan February 13, 2011

What kind of fiction do you like? If you are looking for something fun and book-y I suggest Jasper Fforde- he has a couple of interrelated series that are amazing and a stand alone that’s quite funny as well! “THE BIG OVER EASY” is the first book of the “Nursery Crimes”- a series in which detective Jack Spratt solves nursery rhyme murders. “THE EYRE AFFAIR” is the first in the “Thursday Next” series, which I just can’t explain- I just have no good words to encapsulate the experience of reading these. It’s the longer series, but is so good (the first book is a bit slow, but the literary references are just too awesome!). And “SHADES OF GREY” is the standalone- it’s a dystopian novel where social heirarchy is based on one’s ability to see (or not see) color. *apologizes for being a dork* Good luck finding something!

82 jodie February 13, 2011

Oh I really enjoyed The Eyre Affair as well, very clever!

83 Beach Bum Beauty February 13, 2011

Hope you feel better soon darl, the weather doesn’t help does it?! The tulips are gorgeous, we bought some red ones today and some daffodils (which means Spring is officially on it’s way – slowly but surely).
Take care of yourself

84 Julie @ Shining From Within February 13, 2011

aww I hope you feel better – I bet a massive consumption of green monsters are in order ;)

85 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 13, 2011

Hope you feel better soon!
These little sweet treats look lovely!

86 Ruthie February 13, 2011

Thanks so much for this recipe. They turned out great; not too sweet. I’m bringing them to work tonight as a valentine treat. I think they would also be yummy with peanut butter in them too. I love your blog; learning a lot from the information on here. Thanks so much for sharing!

87 Margaret February 13, 2011

Hi Angela
Loved your tulips. Eric brought over some of those 2 bite brownies last night, but I forgot to take one with me before we went out to dinner. Hope you will have them again.
When you plant your tulips you will need to get some “Bone Meal” or “Blood Meal”, otherwise, your squirrels will eat the bulbs. They love those ripe juicy tulip bulbs….
Do hope you are feeling better today. We missed you lots yesterday.

88 Zuzia February 13, 2011

Healthy brownies?! Sweet:)

89 Astrid February 13, 2011

Looks great! I made your pumpkin butter swirl butternut pan bread the other day and loved it! So flavorful and crunchy!

90 Jenny February 13, 2011

These remind me of the “no-bake” cookies that are filled with oatmeal and peanut butter, but these are much more nutricious! They look great, it’ll definitely be something I try:)

91 jodie February 13, 2011

Two books I have really loved. “Ahab’s Wife” by Sena Jeter Naslund (really anything by SJN is a safe bet, she has a way with words that is mind tickling). This is an epic tale of a strong woman. It will completely suck you in and it is long enough to be satisfying.

A little novel I just read that is so simple and beautiful and pretty short. I devoured it and wanted to move to Guernsey! It is called “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” written entirely in letter corespondences (I didn’t think I would like that but it was perfect).

Have you ever gone on goodreads.com? Fun site to belong to.

92 jodie February 13, 2011

Oh one more that you must must read if you have not. Have you read “Born To Run” yet? It is one of the most fun books to read especially since you run.

93 Jill February 13, 2011

I made them this morning right after I read your post and ate one for breakfast! They are super yummy!

94 Zestful Lou February 13, 2011

I knew Eric would have to pick a chocolate-laden recipe at some point! Those look great. I MUST try that Avocado pasta though. I have about half a dozen avocados that need to be used ASAP!

95 Amanda (Tomboy That Wears Makeup) February 13, 2011

Yummy! I need to try these! Keep these amazing recipes coming! Happy Valentines Day

96 Faith @ lovelyascharged February 13, 2011

Somehow, Id imagine that you – of all people – would definitely have a green thumb, considering how talented you are in the kitchen! It seems like they should go hand in hand :D

97 Tiffany February 13, 2011

Thumbs-up
I just made them into heart-shapes for my hubby, early Valentines gift :) He loves them, and he is not a vegan!

98 Richelle February 13, 2011

Those brownies look mouth-wateringly good! I always love the recipes you post. I made your ultimate vegan lentil walnut loaf the other night and it was absolutely amazing. I can’t describe how good it was and that usually only happens when chocolate is involved in the recipe! Thanks.

99 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 13, 2011

Those two-bite brownies are calling my name!!! Feel better girl! :)

100 Malorie February 14, 2011

I had an intense chocolate craving yesterday (for the typical reasons) and this recipe was just perfect! I am not 100% Vegan (my recipe book is laden with Vegan and Vegetarian dishes/desserts, but I still eat local free range (total freedom) chicken and wild caught seafood) but I especially love Vegan desserts because I don’t feel weighed down by sugar afterwards (and there’s so much less guilt, too).

Now I just have to fight the urge to have one of these this morning. :D

101 Sabrina February 14, 2011

i just made them!!! They are way way better then I thought they would be, for those who asked about subing the coconut I made mine with out (my husband doesnt like coconut) and they were still amazing, I did the last batch with walnuts mixed in and honestly I prefer them with out but they are still good with the nuts just be sure to chop the nuts up really small if you use them or the brownies dont hold very well. They do however hold with extra chocolate chunks added (im just saying). Thank you for this fab recipe!

102 Angela T. February 14, 2011

I made these for Valentine’s Day and they were a big hit with my family. Everything I make and bake is gluten free and this recipe did wonderfully with the gf flour mixture I use. So good! Will definitely be added to my list of must-bakes!

103 Melanie February 15, 2011

Oh my heaven! Made these last night and they are DELICIOUS! Skipped the coconut (6 year old isn’t a fan) and added some almond butter. I’ll definately be making these again.

104 Melanie February 15, 2011

Hilarious. I was just sharing the recipe and realized I omitted the brown sugar. But honestly, they are totally sweet enough (ok, I may have added some extra chocolate) without it.

105 Catherine February 15, 2011

Hope you’re feeling better! I love anything by Jhumpa Lahiri – the Namesake was sooo good. Right now I’m reading some of her short stories. Her stories are effortless and just weave in and out so gracefully.

These look delicious. Do you think spelt flour would be ok instead?

106 May Cookie Co. February 16, 2011

These look fabulous – just the right amount of chocolate goodness for a dessert or mid-day pick-me-up!

107 Tonette (@SmileNglow) September 19, 2012

I’m making these and I’ll post in my blog. I will link back! ;) Thank you for this!