Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

This is going to be a wonderful weekend for eating. :)

Thursday night and Friday I got busy making the menu plans and doing some prep ahead of time for our gatherings this weekend. One of my best tricks for stress-free party hosting is making things ahead of time as much as possible. [My post ‘Tick Tock, Racing Against The Clock’ includes a bunch of tips and shows how I planned ahead for my 1st vegan Thanksgiving.]

I started planning for today’s get together with my sister Kerrie and family.

My goal: 2 appetizers, main + 2 sides, wine, and dessert.

Appetizers

1. Spinach Artichoke Dip (see below for recipe) + blue corn chips & crackers

IMG_0477

2. Union Square Café Bar Nuts

(easily adapted to be vegan using soy-free Earth Balance instead of butter)

IMG_0511

My Twice Baked Bar Nuts are good too and adapted from the recipe above.

20100930IMG_3771_thumb

3. Stuffed Portabella Pizza

stuffed-portabella-2

Not sure if I will have time to make these or not, but I’m sure going to try.

My sis is also bringing an appetizer and a salad for dinner. :)

Main Course:

Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf:

IMG_8055_thumb

I’m soooooo looking forward to this lentil loaf…I’ve been craving it since I made it Jan 1st! I actually prepped the entire loaf last night and then stuck it in the fridge (covered) unbaked. All I have to do this afternoon is throw it in the oven about 1 hour before we eat.

High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes:

20100908IMG_2678_thumb

Roasted veggies:

IMG_6438_thumb

I think I might roast carrots in some sort of glaze, but I haven’t decided on that yet.

Dessert:

Chilled Double Chocolate Torte:

IMG_4993_thumb

This dessert is awesome because you can make it ahead of time and store it in the freezer! I whipped it up Friday and covered it and put it in the freezer. Now I don’t have to worry about dessert today. All I have to do is let it dethaw for about 10 minutes on the counter.

Now about that Spinach Artichoke Dip. The beauty of this dip is that it is vegan, soy-free, and can be easily made gluten-free if you use GF bread crumbs! It is really a dip almost anyone can enjoy…if you like artichokes that is. ;)

IMG_0481

IMG_9990451

The navy beans in this recipe are the ‘secret ingredient’. They give the dip a real creaminess (and protein!) that it wouldn’t have otherwise.

IMG_0453

Sautee the onion and garlic for about 7-10 minutes.

IMG_0237

Meanwhile, make the bread crumbs and set aside. Now, process the bean mixture ingredients.

IMG_0454

After the onion and garlic has cooked, add in the spinach and artichoke hearts (You probably want to chop the artichoke smaller than I did as I found the pieces a bit large!)

IMG_0457

mix and heat for another few minutes.

IMG_0461

Now add in the bean mixture and stir well.

IMG_0462

Season to taste.

IMG_0464

Stir in 3/4 of the bread crumbs.

Pour into a small oven-safe dish…I used a 4 cup Pyrex dish.

IMG_0465

Sprinkle on the remaining crumbs (and cheese if preferred).

IMG_0467

Cover and bake for 20 minutes at 400F and then remove the cover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

IMG_0477

This dip is creamy, comforting, and it certainly tastes more indulgent than it really is. One of my friends picked me up some of the raved-about Daiya vegan cheese (she said I was crazy for not having tried it yet), so when I re-heat the dip in the oven I may sprinkle some cheese on top. It should be delicious!

IMG_0483

Another tip: Use very ‘sturdy’ nacho chips or crackers because the dip is very thick and weak/thin crackers won’t come out alive. ;) I’m using some organic blue corn chips (very thick!) and Mary’s Crackers (basically unbreakable…I’m not even sure how I chew them).

Time to rush, rush, rush. Have a great day!

1 nicole @ Making Good Choices February 5, 2011

I want to be at your party! All of this food looks incredible! Enjoy your weekend!

2 Sarah @ Crowns4Kids.com February 5, 2011

Yummy! I’ll make that spinach artichoke dip for tomorrow’s Super Bowl Sunday (you know us crazy Americans w/ the football parties!!). My plan is to make a bunch of vegan appetizers that the men will never think twice about being vegan…heehee.

3 Camille February 5, 2011

Oh man, what an epic menu! I would eat myself in to a food coma at that party!

4 Jodie February 5, 2011

Seriously the chocolate dessert is making me swoon. I am planning to buy a food processor, which one do you use? Thanks.

5 chelsey February 5, 2011

I’ve been waiting for this recipe for so long. you have no idea!!!

6 Heather @ Side of Sneakers February 5, 2011

I LOVE spinach artichoke dip and I’ve been looking for a vegan version that didn’t just use vegan mayonnaise or sour cream- love this!!

7 Emma February 5, 2011

ditto! Ange, you are so creative with your vegan substitute ingredients. it’s just genius!

8 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods February 5, 2011

The whole spread looks heavenly. That spin dip is to die for. I’ll be making that for super bowl sunday for sure! Thanks!

9 Alex @ Healing Beauty February 5, 2011

Awesome recipes! I told a few friends about the portabella pizzas just the other day and they have been BEGGING me to make them. I haven’t tried the recipe yet but it’s so funny that I was just looking at it yesterday. Can’t wait to make them!

10 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 5, 2011

that is such a perfect version, thanks for posting it! i really want make it , i loveee sp/artichoke dip and have all the ingredients!

11 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 5, 2011

You make me want to eat vegetables.

12 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 5, 2011

That artichoke dip looks crazy good!!!

13 One Healthy Apple February 5, 2011

Everything looks delicious. The chocolate tort- oh my is that breathtaking!

14 Faith @ lovelyascharged February 5, 2011

Oh man, a couple years ago I pretty much lived on the Spinach Artichoke dip @ TGI Friday’s, but how nasty are the ingredients??? I can’t wait to try yours, it has to be a thousand percent more wholesome and therefore thousand and one times more delicious!

15 Jo February 5, 2011

I have to laugh about your comment regarding Mary’s Crackers – – it is so true!! I know you created a box to take photos of your food – – do you really stop the cooking process and place them in the box each time you want to take a photo?

16 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 5, 2011

Ohhhh my goodness, I have not been able to have spinach artichoke dip since I became vegan but this will change that!! Thank you Ang, slash I cannot wait to try that chocoalte torte!! I just made a chocolate mousse last night and I could probs just take that and then add your crust! Wooo a hybrid of chocolatey goodness:)

17 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) February 5, 2011

Yum! I wish I was going to your party. Everything looks delicious!

18 Lauren at KeepItSweet February 5, 2011

I think I’ll be making that dip!! I agree that preparing dishes ahead of time is the best way to entertain stress-free.

19 Rachel Randolph February 5, 2011

Spinach Artichoke dip is one of the few things I still crave every time I go to the Olive Garden, but can’t eat because of the diary. They use toasted baguette slices for theirs. In fact, that’s how I like it best because I got hooked on it while working there. I bet toasted baguette would hold up well to this thick dip, too. Oh man just thinking about it makes me want to run out and buy these ingredients and make some. Thanks again for proving that you don’t have to miss out by being vegan! I’m coming up on my one year anniversary and there is no way I could have kept going without finding your blog and a few others that keep me inspired daily.

20 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 5, 2011

I love spinach artichoke dip — usually I just make spinach dip with tofutti cream cheese and thawed frozen spinach with seasonings. I love dipping Hawaiian bread into it — so delicious!

21 hippierunner February 5, 2011

Can I come over?! Everything looks amazing!

22 Gina February 5, 2011

Open invite? :)
I’d gladly help take some of that food off your hands!

23 Darcy @ She Sings at the Table February 5, 2011

This looks great! All the veggie goodness of spinach and artichokes without all the “goo” to weigh you down.

24 Roz February 5, 2011

Your guests are SOOOOO lucky to indulge in all those great “Angela” recipes. Enjoy yourself!!!!

25 Krystina (Crunchy Granola Girl) February 5, 2011

I’m very much craving lentil loaf!

26 Kathi February 5, 2011

Anglea,

I made the lentil loaf just the other day and it was FABUlOUS! I think I will have the left overs for dinner tonight. I also made the chocolate torte but my crust came out on the dry side. Any ideas why? Maybe I should add some apple sauce in the crust ingredients next time. Of course it hasn’t stopped me from eating it! The chocolate mousse on top is fabulous! Thinking about making the nuts to take over to the neighbors for the game tomorrow. I don’t always have much luck into getting pretty to try vegan food made I can do it with the nuts. Last time I brought hummus and veggies and I think I was the only one that ate it. So sad. I am heading to my first meet up Vegan group in chicago this afternoon.. Thanks to you I am attempting to branch out and meet other vegan friends. Wish me luck!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2012

Hey Kathi, Thanks for letting me know about the crust! Maybe I should add a wider margin for the baking time, as some oven temps may vary.
Glad to hear that you are trying so many recipes!

28 Christine (The Raw Project) February 5, 2011

Great recipes, thanks! But the dip just looks amazing and would definitely be a hit with my family, can’t wait to try it!

29 Alaina February 5, 2011

I love finding different variations of artichoke dip. Thank you!! :-) This look delicious.

30 megan @ blackberries for jam February 5, 2011

Both you and Emily have AMAZING looking spinach-artichoke dip recipes! I may have to make two, I just can’t decide!

31 Bridget February 5, 2011

Oh how you tempt me with that AMAZING food!

32 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 5, 2011

That is going to be an awesome day of eating! I’m still in love with those portobello mushroom pizzas! I ate so many this past summer :)

33 Doc February 5, 2011

I am definitely going to make this recipe. This is the first vegan one I’ve seen that is actually made with real food, not just using non-dairy replacements. Great job!

34 Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 5, 2011

Ohh I love spinach artichoke dip and I love, love, love that this a healthier, vegan version! THANK YOU!!!

35 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 5, 2011

Those portobella mushroom pizzas look absolutely fantastic!!! Such a unique idea!

36 Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee February 5, 2011

I am definitely going to make that spinach-artichoke dip for tomorrow. Using the bean and nutritional yeast mixture for the sauce is a great idea. Thanks for the recipe!

37 Gen February 5, 2011

Hope you have a great day! Thanks for the recipe!

38 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 5, 2011

Wow that dip looks great! What a great vegan adaptation. Thanks!

39 Ellie@fitforthesoul February 5, 2011

oOOo great job Angela!! I’m not sure if it’s such a good idea to share so many recipes with us! Or you may not have enough things to put in your 1st cookbook! :D *sigh* I STILL haven’t gotten around to making the bar nuts and have been wanting to ever since I saw your blog.

40 sonia February 5, 2011

Such a thorough details of the dip. Great recipe and presentation… !

41 Heidi February 5, 2011

This is a great take on spinach dip and looks healthy enough to eat the whole batch by yourself! Or, maybe that’s just me. :) I’ve been reading your site in google reader for so long, I finally came to visit and LOVE all the new features on here, especially the Sketchie pix.

42 Gena February 5, 2011

A reader just told me that you and I were on the same page today, and so we are! Your dip looks awesome, friend.

And, email me with follow up about the thing we were emailing about, when you have time. Miss you :)

43 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 5, 2011

I love love love spinach and artichoke dip. And have never made a vegan version at home. Have made some with cream cheese and cheese, so am loving your version!

I also have never tried Daiya yet. I am now for sure the last vegan or plant-based person to not have tried it yet!!

Weak chips that break. Oh, I hate those. They need to grow a backbone in order to stand up to your fabulous looking dip :)

44 Kris | iheartwellness.com February 5, 2011

Holy Hanna, are you kidding me right now? I am not celebrating anything this weekend, but I know I NEED to make this! I think tonights dinner will be a big spread of dips and chips ;)

xxoo

45 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 5, 2011

I love that you used beans in this dip.

I haven’t tried daiya either.

46 Dawn February 5, 2011

This dip looks delicious! I just printed the recipe so I can give it a try. I’ve been using a spinach dip recipe for YEARS that uses lots of cream cheese, and alfredo sauce…very tasty but sooo bad!! I love the idea of processing the beans to add creaminess and thickness.
ps. My daughter (who is 9) will now ONLY eat overnight oats with the banana soft serve for breakfast – she loves it. She loves looking at your recipes and is now begging me to make those cookie sandwiches – maybe I’ll make those tomorrow.
Enjoy your weekend!
Dawn :)

47 Heather (Faces of Beauty) February 5, 2011

so yeah…i don’t think i need to cook…i just need to come over to your house! yum!

48 Stacie February 5, 2011

I made your no bake choc. PB krispies today & my husband loved them!! He said there is no way these are vegan. “I wouldn’t even say they are mediocre for being vegan. They are excellent!! They also don’t have that ‘funny vegan aftertaste’.” (whatever that means….) This is huge coming from a guy who is a huge meat and potatoes kind of guy. Thanks Angela for sharing your talent!! The animals and my husband thank you too ;)

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 5, 2011

haha nice ;) Glad it was enjoyed!

50 Andrea Bloomfield February 5, 2011

ooohhh….that dip looks great….it’s one of my favourites! Have a great day tomorrow….hope you get time away from your cooking to actually enjoy the Superbowl!

51 Hannah February 5, 2011

I adore artichokes, and have been making those Union Square nuts for years :) I’m in Australia so couldn’t care less about the Superbowl, but luckily food like this is delicious regardless of the reaosn for eating it :)

52 Adrianne@ Flex-appeal February 5, 2011

Angela, I made your Gingerbread with spiced buttercream icing and my family LOVES it. My four year old told me the other day she doesn’t like bread but she loves the kind I made with icing! LOL

53 Ashley @ Taste for Healthy February 5, 2011

Vegan Spinach Artichoke dip… YUMMM!!! Enjoy all of your delicious eats this weekend! :)

54 Mimi (Gingersnaps) February 5, 2011

I know you’re Canadian…but that menu screams epic Superbowl food. Woo!

55 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 5, 2011

With all of this amazing food, I wouldn’t even care about the football!

56 kaila @ healthy helper! February 5, 2011

carrots are lovely with a balsamic glaze! in case you needed ideas lol! :)

57 Lili February 6, 2011

As always, amazing presentation/ pictures. I want to try this healthy dip soon!

58 rachel February 6, 2011

the dip looks amazing, and i think i actually have everything on hand to make this! thanks for posting this, i’ve been craving spinach and artichoke dip for a while now :)

59 ashley@quasichick February 6, 2011

I want to eat everything on this page! You make vegan eating beautiful!

60 Mary February 6, 2011

Angela- First thank you thank you thank you for this site which is a huge souce of inspiration for my cooking lately. I made the spinach artichoke dip yesterday: fantastic. One question, though: do you really need to bake it in the oven for so long? Although it was great (and I’m having some for breakfast right now, lol), I think I might have liked it better if I stopped cooking before it went in the oven–back when the spinach was bright green–curious to know your thoughts on that.

61 Allison February 6, 2011

Awesome. Everything looks amazing. That dip looks amazing.

62 Beach Bum Beauty February 6, 2011

I can’t read your blog without feeling hungry, even if I’ve only just eaten. The chocolate torte looks divine YUM!!

63 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 6, 2011

Oh YUM!!! Hehe, I may just roast some vegetables tonight! :)

64 Amanda February 6, 2011

That dip looks amazing! Being stationed overseas for 5 years is hard when it comes to missing out on the spinach artichoke dip at Olive Garden! I kept trying to make some, but they are so loaded with fat, that I just don’t bother! This is something I will make this week for me to enjoy with my bento lunches!!! Now I just need to find some other ingredients here on the island so I can more some more of your yummy recipes….those cranberry breakfast bars are SCREAMING at me to eat them :)

65 SallyH February 6, 2011

Angela, I’m super excited that you’re making an effort to write a recipe book. We have nothing but success when making your recipes. I made the avo chocolate torte last week and my husband (whose a sugar junkie) devoured it and asked for it for his birthday at the end of this month. Tonight we made the lentil loaf and it was so yummy…the absolute best I’ve ever had. Thanks!

66 Megan February 6, 2011

I just made this tonight for Super Bowl, and it was AMAZING!!! I have leftovers – I think making this dish and putting it over pasta would also be really good. Or making the dip, combining it with half-cooked pasta, and then baking it for 20 minutes would also be good. I think I’ll try that next.

Thanks for such a good recipe!

67 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 6, 2011

ive had such an obsession with blue corn chips in the past which turned into a rice chip obsession and now im really into seedy ones with seaweed mmm. the dip looks fantastic! i love artichoke blended into dips, so much flavor evolves from such a lovely vegetable ;)

and ive been enjoying lots of roasted veggies too, the more the merrier! <3

xoxo

68 Emily February 7, 2011

I didn’t watch the superbowl, but I knew I needed superbowl food, so I made this dip, and the roasted red pepper one.
-this one was pretty good, I used kale instead of spinach cuz that’s what I had. When I tasted it before I put it in the oven, I felt like it was a bit bland – probably not enough salt. And I decided I really did want some cheesy-ness to it. So I added a half cup of feta and un-veganed it. But it turned out great! I was also shocked at how filling it was.
– the red pepper one was amazing. I added just a glug of red wine vinegar towards the end, because I thought it needed a little more acidity to even out the sweetness. otherwise the same recipe.

Thanks so much for posting such awesome recipes!

69 Lynn February 7, 2011

I just discovered your blog and this spinach dip was the first recipe I’ve made of yours. I made it for my Super Bowl party and everyone absolutely loved it! Thank you for the inspiration!

70 Kat February 7, 2011

I made this for my Super Bowl party yesterday and EVERYONE loved it. It was sooooo good. :)

71 Sara @ Saucy Dipper February 16, 2011

Beautiful photos! So glad I found your site. That dip looks divine. What’s better than spinach artichoke dip?

72 Amy Kirchhoff February 22, 2011

Um. Holy cow, yum! It tastes 1000 times better than it looks. We (3 of us) ate all of it in 2 days. Thanks again for another wonderful one! Can’t wait to make this again.

73 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2011

glad you enjoyed it Amy :)

74 Amy Kirchhoff February 22, 2011
75 Meaghan May 9, 2012

I am made this a few weeks back and I was so impressed! I love that it doesn’t use any vegan sour cream or cream cheese for the creaminess. Just plain ol’ pureed white beans. I am making this again for a vegan potluck tonight and I couldn’t be more excited. Thank you so much for this recipe!

76 Nancy December 24, 2012

I just made your spinach artichoke dip to bring to the in-laws for the holidays. It tasted like something was missing, so I added the juice of a half a lemon. OH MY! That was it! I was eating it by the spoonful out of the pan. Would it be so bad of me if I didn’t share? What if I promise not to eat their food? :-)

77 dana February 8, 2013

I know you’ve heard this a million times in the comments, but this was a totally awesome recipe! This has gotta be my favorite new dip. and it always helps that i still feel good about myself after eating it. i am definitely coming back here for more wonderful ideas! keep up the good work!

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2013

Hey Dana, Thank you for reporting back! Glad to hear you enjoyed it :)

79 Brynrose Foote March 30, 2013

Just made the spinach-artichoke dip, it doesn’t taste like anything except beans. Completely bland even though I followed the recipe exactly. Very disappointed.

80 Alexandra October 27, 2013

Made this spinach artichoke dip a few days ago and it was amazing! Husband and I both loved it. Luckily it was just for the two of us, so we have some leftover – I am going to toss it with some penne tomorrow, sprinkle on some breadcrumbs, and bake it =) Definitely saving this recipe! Thank you!

81 Ashley November 23, 2013

The dip is such a great recipe! I used pinto instead of northern beans (just what I had in the pantry) and I used ground flax seed instead of bread crumbs. Turned out great!

82 Candace Martin March 17, 2014

All looks soooo good! Love your recipes. Can’t wait to try the artichoke dip. I am in love with Chelsie Nicole’s spinach artichoke dip (vegan). Comes out perfect EVERY TIME I make it. chelsienicole.com/
Thanks for a great blog! And for foolproof recipes that never disappoint!

83 Christine October 27, 2014

Angela – this looks yummy!
Can it be prepared the night before, and then heated before serving? Say, up to the point of stirring in the bread crumbs in step 4?

Thanks!

84 Rachel November 22, 2014

It sounds delicious. If I want to make it the day before. Should I just re heat? or how do you do it?

85 Ian December 22, 2014

I know I’m super-late to the party, but this recipe is fantastic. I’ve made it twice now: the first time, I wanted it to be a little richer. The second time, I added about 1/4 cup of Vegenaise to it, and it was perfect for my taste. To answer some of the questions above me, I made it the day before and baked it and everything. Then I just reheated it for about 20 minutes in a low oven, covered in foil. It came out perfectly. Thanks so much for a great (easy, nut-free) recipe!