Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

This is going to be a wonderful weekend for eating. :)

Thursday night and Friday I got busy making the menu plans and doing some prep ahead of time for our gatherings this weekend. One of my best tricks for stress-free party hosting is making things ahead of time as much as possible. [My post ‘Tick Tock, Racing Against The Clock’ includes a bunch of tips and shows how I planned ahead for my 1st vegan Thanksgiving.]

I started planning for today’s get together with my sister Kerrie and family.

My goal: 2 appetizers, main + 2 sides, wine, and dessert.

Appetizers

1. Spinach Artichoke Dip (see below for recipe) + blue corn chips & crackers

IMG 0477   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

2. Union Square Café Bar Nuts

(easily adapted to be vegan using soy-free Earth Balance instead of butter)

IMG 0511   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

My Twice Baked Bar Nuts are good too and adapted from the recipe above.

20100930IMG 3771 thumb   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

3. Stuffed Portabella Pizza

stuffed portabella 22   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Not sure if I will have time to make these or not, but I’m sure going to try.

My sis is also bringing an appetizer and a salad for dinner. :)

Main Course:

Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf:

IMG 8055 thumb   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

I’m soooooo looking forward to this lentil loaf…I’ve been craving it since I made it Jan 1st! I actually prepped the entire loaf last night and then stuck it in the fridge (covered) unbaked. All I have to do this afternoon is throw it in the oven about 1 hour before we eat.

High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes:

20100908IMG 2678 thumb   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Roasted veggies:

IMG 6438 thumb   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

I think I might roast carrots in some sort of glaze, but I haven’t decided on that yet.

Dessert:

Chilled Double Chocolate Torte:

IMG 4993 thumb   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

This dessert is awesome because you can make it ahead of time and store it in the freezer! I whipped it up Friday and covered it and put it in the freezer. Now I don’t have to worry about dessert today. All I have to do is let it dethaw for about 10 minutes on the counter.

Now about that Spinach Artichoke Dip. The beauty of this dip is that it is vegan, soy-free, and can be easily made gluten-free if you use GF bread crumbs! It is really a dip almost anyone can enjoy…if you like artichokes that is. ;)

IMG 0481   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

IMG 9990451   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

The navy beans in this recipe are the ‘secret ingredient’. They give the dip a real creaminess (and protein!) that it wouldn’t have otherwise.

IMG 0453   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Sautee the onion and garlic for about 7-10 minutes.

IMG 02372   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Meanwhile, make the bread crumbs and set aside. Now, process the bean mixture ingredients.

IMG 0454   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

After the onion and garlic has cooked, add in the spinach and artichoke hearts (You probably want to chop the artichoke smaller than I did as I found the pieces a bit large!)

IMG 0457   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

mix and heat for another few minutes.

IMG 0461   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Now add in the bean mixture and stir well.

IMG 0462   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Season to taste.

IMG 0464   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Stir in 3/4 of the bread crumbs.

Pour into a small oven-safe dish…I used a 4 cup Pyrex dish.

IMG 0465   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Sprinkle on the remaining crumbs (and cheese if preferred).

IMG 0467   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Cover and bake for 20 minutes at 400F and then remove the cover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

IMG 04771   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

This dip is creamy, comforting, and it certainly tastes more indulgent than it really is. One of my friends picked me up some of the raved-about Daiya vegan cheese (she said I was crazy for not having tried it yet), so when I re-heat the dip in the oven I may sprinkle some cheese on top. It should be delicious!

IMG 0483   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Another tip: Use very ‘sturdy’ nacho chips or crackers because the dip is very thick and weak/thin crackers won’t come out alive. ;) I’m using some organic blue corn chips (very thick!) and Mary’s Crackers (basically unbreakable…I’m not even sure how I chew them).

Time to rush, rush, rush. Have a great day!

nicole @ Making Good Choices February 5, 2011

I want to be at your party! All of this food looks incredible! Enjoy your weekend!

Sarah @ Crowns4Kids.com February 5, 2011

Yummy! I’ll make that spinach artichoke dip for tomorrow’s Super Bowl Sunday (you know us crazy Americans w/ the football parties!!). My plan is to make a bunch of vegan appetizers that the men will never think twice about being vegan…heehee.

Camille February 5, 2011

Oh man, what an epic menu! I would eat myself in to a food coma at that party!

Jodie February 5, 2011

Seriously the chocolate dessert is making me swoon. I am planning to buy a food processor, which one do you use? Thanks.

chelsey February 5, 2011

I’ve been waiting for this recipe for so long. you have no idea!!!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers February 5, 2011

I LOVE spinach artichoke dip and I’ve been looking for a vegan version that didn’t just use vegan mayonnaise or sour cream- love this!!

Emma February 5, 2011

ditto! Ange, you are so creative with your vegan substitute ingredients. it’s just genius!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods February 5, 2011

The whole spread looks heavenly. That spin dip is to die for. I’ll be making that for super bowl sunday for sure! Thanks!

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 5, 2011

Awesome recipes! I told a few friends about the portabella pizzas just the other day and they have been BEGGING me to make them. I haven’t tried the recipe yet but it’s so funny that I was just looking at it yesterday. Can’t wait to make them!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 5, 2011

that is such a perfect version, thanks for posting it! i really want make it , i loveee sp/artichoke dip and have all the ingredients!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 5, 2011

You make me want to eat vegetables.

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 5, 2011

That artichoke dip looks crazy good!!!

One Healthy Apple February 5, 2011

Everything looks delicious. The chocolate tort- oh my is that breathtaking!

Faith @ lovelyascharged February 5, 2011

Oh man, a couple years ago I pretty much lived on the Spinach Artichoke dip @ TGI Friday’s, but how nasty are the ingredients??? I can’t wait to try yours, it has to be a thousand percent more wholesome and therefore thousand and one times more delicious!

Jo February 5, 2011

I have to laugh about your comment regarding Mary’s Crackers – - it is so true!! I know you created a box to take photos of your food – - do you really stop the cooking process and place them in the box each time you want to take a photo?

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 5, 2011

Ohhhh my goodness, I have not been able to have spinach artichoke dip since I became vegan but this will change that!! Thank you Ang, slash I cannot wait to try that chocoalte torte!! I just made a chocolate mousse last night and I could probs just take that and then add your crust! Wooo a hybrid of chocolatey goodness:)

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) February 5, 2011

Yum! I wish I was going to your party. Everything looks delicious!

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 5, 2011

I think I’ll be making that dip!! I agree that preparing dishes ahead of time is the best way to entertain stress-free.

Rachel Randolph February 5, 2011

Spinach Artichoke dip is one of the few things I still crave every time I go to the Olive Garden, but can’t eat because of the diary. They use toasted baguette slices for theirs. In fact, that’s how I like it best because I got hooked on it while working there. I bet toasted baguette would hold up well to this thick dip, too. Oh man just thinking about it makes me want to run out and buy these ingredients and make some. Thanks again for proving that you don’t have to miss out by being vegan! I’m coming up on my one year anniversary and there is no way I could have kept going without finding your blog and a few others that keep me inspired daily.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 5, 2011

I love spinach artichoke dip — usually I just make spinach dip with tofutti cream cheese and thawed frozen spinach with seasonings. I love dipping Hawaiian bread into it — so delicious!

hippierunner February 5, 2011

Can I come over?! Everything looks amazing!

Gina February 5, 2011

Open invite? :)
I’d gladly help take some of that food off your hands!

Darcy @ She Sings at the Table February 5, 2011

This looks great! All the veggie goodness of spinach and artichokes without all the “goo” to weigh you down.

Roz February 5, 2011

Your guests are SOOOOO lucky to indulge in all those great “Angela” recipes. Enjoy yourself!!!!

Krystina (Crunchy Granola Girl) February 5, 2011

I’m very much craving lentil loaf!

Kathi February 5, 2011

Anglea,

I made the lentil loaf just the other day and it was FABUlOUS! I think I will have the left overs for dinner tonight. I also made the chocolate torte but my crust came out on the dry side. Any ideas why? Maybe I should add some apple sauce in the crust ingredients next time. Of course it hasn’t stopped me from eating it! The chocolate mousse on top is fabulous! Thinking about making the nuts to take over to the neighbors for the game tomorrow. I don’t always have much luck into getting pretty to try vegan food made I can do it with the nuts. Last time I brought hummus and veggies and I think I was the only one that ate it. So sad. I am heading to my first meet up Vegan group in chicago this afternoon.. Thanks to you I am attempting to branch out and meet other vegan friends. Wish me luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2012

Hey Kathi, Thanks for letting me know about the crust! Maybe I should add a wider margin for the baking time, as some oven temps may vary.
Glad to hear that you are trying so many recipes!

Christine (The Raw Project) February 5, 2011

Great recipes, thanks! But the dip just looks amazing and would definitely be a hit with my family, can’t wait to try it!

Alaina February 5, 2011

I love finding different variations of artichoke dip. Thank you!! :-) This look delicious.

megan @ blackberries for jam February 5, 2011

Both you and Emily have AMAZING looking spinach-artichoke dip recipes! I may have to make two, I just can’t decide!

Bridget February 5, 2011

Oh how you tempt me with that AMAZING food!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 5, 2011

That is going to be an awesome day of eating! I’m still in love with those portobello mushroom pizzas! I ate so many this past summer :)

Doc February 5, 2011

I am definitely going to make this recipe. This is the first vegan one I’ve seen that is actually made with real food, not just using non-dairy replacements. Great job!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 5, 2011

Ohh I love spinach artichoke dip and I love, love, love that this a healthier, vegan version! THANK YOU!!!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 5, 2011

Those portobella mushroom pizzas look absolutely fantastic!!! Such a unique idea!

Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee February 5, 2011

I am definitely going to make that spinach-artichoke dip for tomorrow. Using the bean and nutritional yeast mixture for the sauce is a great idea. Thanks for the recipe!

Gen February 5, 2011

Hope you have a great day! Thanks for the recipe!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 5, 2011

Wow that dip looks great! What a great vegan adaptation. Thanks!

Ellie@fitforthesoul February 5, 2011

oOOo great job Angela!! I’m not sure if it’s such a good idea to share so many recipes with us! Or you may not have enough things to put in your 1st cookbook! :D *sigh* I STILL haven’t gotten around to making the bar nuts and have been wanting to ever since I saw your blog.

sonia February 5, 2011

Such a thorough details of the dip. Great recipe and presentation… !

Heidi February 5, 2011

This is a great take on spinach dip and looks healthy enough to eat the whole batch by yourself! Or, maybe that’s just me. :) I’ve been reading your site in google reader for so long, I finally came to visit and LOVE all the new features on here, especially the Sketchie pix.

Gena February 5, 2011

A reader just told me that you and I were on the same page today, and so we are! Your dip looks awesome, friend.

And, email me with follow up about the thing we were emailing about, when you have time. Miss you :)

Page 1 of 212»