Post-Run Berrylicious Smoothie & A Tempo Run

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 19, 2011

IMG_9348

I found myself a Personal trainer!

I found him at a good rate too…only 2 bags of cat treats per day and ample Light Box usage…

IMG_9291

Don’t ask.

He has a thing for sunbathing…and he gets it any way he can during our gloomy winter season.

IMG_9306

Speaking of Winter, when the weather forces me indoors it is time to get creative with my own running.

IMG_9429

I had my first Tempo training run on the treadmill today as per my Winter 2011 Training Plan, but first, I needed a refresher as to what exactly I would be doing. There are a lot of conflicting theories and definitions as to what a Tempo run actually is, but the one that resonated the most with me was Hal Hidgon’s approach:

1) A Tempo run is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near 10-K race pace.

2) A Tempo Run of 30 to 45 minutes would begin with 10-15 minutes easy running, build to 15-20 minutes near the middle, then 5-10 minutes easy toward the end.

3) The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout. Hold that peak only for a minute or two.

4) Hal considers Tempo Runs to be the "Thinking Runner’s Workout." A Tempo Run can be as hard or easy as you want to make it, and it has nothing to do with how long (in time) you run or how far. In fact, the times prescribed for Tempo Runs serve mainly as rough guidelines. Feel free to improvise.

5) Improvisation is the heart of doing a Tempo Run correctly.

The first thing I did was check what my 10k race pace was back in September 2010 when I ran the Oakville Labour Day 10k. My average pace was a 7:58 minute/mile (finishing time of 49:50 mins), so 7:58 min/mile would be my peak pace during my tempo run.

Here is what I did for my first Tempo run of half marathon training, following Hal’s general guide:

1. “Begin with 10-15 minutes of easy running” –> I ran for 15 minutes at 6.0 mph (10 min/mile), incline 1%.

[Water break]

2. “Build to 15-20 minutes near the middle” –> I ran for 5 minutes at 6.5 mph (9:13 min/mile), 5 minutes at 6.7 mph (8:57 min/mile), 5 minutes at 6.9 mph (8:41 min/mile), 3 minutes at 7.2 mph (8:20 min/mile), and 2 minutes at 7.5 mph (8 min/mile)…all at incline 1%. (Total time 20 minutes)

[Water break]

3. 15 minutes cool-down –> I ran for 5 mins at 6.5 mph, 5 minutes at 6.3 mph, and 5 minutes at 5.8 mph. (Total time 15 minutes)

[Walking + Stretching]

Total Tempo Distance: 5.30 miles

So how was it?

The tempo run was much more difficult than I anticipated! It was probably one of the toughest runs I have had in a long time. I had such a runner’s high after though!

It has been a while since I have continually built speed during a run and I found myself struggling a lot by the half way mark (around speed 6.7-6.9mph). I wanted to stop and take a break before the peak speed (7.5 mph), but I pushed through and told myself that I could do it. It wasn’t supposed to be easy, after all.

I have been doing a lot of interval runs lately and I am used to always having a decrease in pace on a regular basis, but during the Tempo run I didn’t have that luxury to decrease my speed when I wanted to. It was tough to get used to, but I think that just shows why Tempo runs can be such a great addition to a training plan!

Here is to a love-hate relationship with the mighty Tempo run for many workouts to come…

Oh, and it doesn’t hurt to have a delicious reward for all your hard work!

IMG_9336

IMG_9312

I don’t care if it is Winter or not, the only thing I wanted after that workout was something COLD!

IMG_9341

Frosty, berry goodness and packed with antioxidants.

Did it ever hit the spot!

IMG_9345

And then I proceeded to get a huge chill down my spine and covered myself in oodles of layers, sitting beside the space heater until it melted my clothing. The smoothie was good in theory I guess.

Stephie January 19, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Thanks for describing the tempo run! I’m doing my second 10km run this weekend and my first half marathon in a month. I’ll definitely try the tempo run over the next few weeks!

Freya January 19, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Fantastic that you pushed yourself to try something new and challenging, and with a yummy reward at the end!

Alaina January 19, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I really need to get into tempo runs for my half marathon coming up. Thanks for the description! Makes it much less intimidating. :-)

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 20, 2011 at 1:58 am

me too! I like long distance running much better though ack.

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy January 19, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I love the portrait of Sketchie in the light box! I’ve been wanting to make a lightbox for food photography… but you have given me a new idea… taking cat photos!!! :)

P.S. I am making this smoothie for breakfast tomorrow! Say hello to antioxidents!

Molly January 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm

your cat is fabulous. and I need a smoothie NOW :)

Sophia @ Raven Waves January 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Great lookin’ smoothie! Definitely agree, I don’t care if it’s -3 degrees, a smoothie is always good! Cool tempo run! I need to try something similar (with lower speeds overall) once my knee tendinitis finally goes away…

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 19, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Cats TOTALLY would stake out a lightbox as their turf..I can totally see that, big time. Cozy, small space, clean, just like the place on my bed right by my clean pillows that my cats used to love to curl up in. Cats have a knack for finding cozy perfect spots :)

I love this part you wrote:
“Anyone who stresses that improvisation is a good thing instantly wins my heart! I am not a fan of rigid plans or theories about running…or with most things in life for that matter. Flexibility is key and there is never a ‘one size fits all’ approach.”

That is soooo true! I never follow running guides or approaches and prefer to wing it. Heck, I never follow recipes. Even my own. I wing it every time, I swear :) Always tweaking…in life, running, recipes, you name it.

Thanks for your running recap & thoughts :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 9:00 am

I simply cannot follow a recipe either…even when I say I’m going to, I can’t…lol.

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 19, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I have everything but the chia seeds!!! This looks amazing!!!

Great job on the run! :D Tempo runs are no joke, but I love them. So challenging! :D

Charlie January 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Yum! When I saw the picture of this smoothie on twitter, I was drooling, and I still am :P. I actually make most of my smoothies like this (almond milk, banana, berries). I don’t think I ever mixed strawberries & blueberries… need to, I love the color :P.

Roz January 19, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Love the almond milk smoothies. And Sketchie in the lightbox is HILARIOUS!!!! He’s seriously gorgeous.

Shanna, like Banana January 19, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Sketchie doesn’t want to be the only cat on spring break not to have a tan!!! he’s starting early ;)

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 19, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Oh, Sketchie! I loved the pic you posted on twitter of him as a kitten. So cute!!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat January 19, 2011 at 11:46 pm

This smoothie looks gorgeous, just like you!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) January 20, 2011 at 12:05 am

I always need a yummy reward after long runs that I can look forward to. It’s great motivation!

Gail January 20, 2011 at 12:10 am

I love the vibrant colors berries make in smoothies. It’s almost un-natural! And that color always gives me such a boost, especially in the winter when everything is drab and gray! Yum! It’s like drinking sunshine :0)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 8:59 am

I know what you mean…it is crazy that food from nature can make such vibrant colours! I love it :)

kayli (Running on Sunshine) January 20, 2011 at 12:13 am

I am using the same Hal half-marathon schedule, but I had my interval run today. As you said, I can hadle the intervals because I look forward to the decrease in speed. But I am not looking forward to my first tempo run next week- good to know I’m not the only one. Thank you for the little oomph in my motivation :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day January 20, 2011 at 12:15 am

This is the best description I’ve found of a tempo run! Without knowing it, I’ve been doing tempo runs for a while now, according to this! I always crave a berry smoothie after my workouts – regardless of the temp outside :)

Sana January 20, 2011 at 12:24 am

That smoothie needs to come with a tropical vacation!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA January 20, 2011 at 12:25 am

I’m a big fan of your new trainer! A little jealous, too…

[email protected] January 20, 2011 at 12:26 am

Wow, that’s a speedy run- good job!

stephanie a. January 20, 2011 at 12:32 am

Aw! Your cat just stole my heart with that light box picture : )

Cara Craves... January 20, 2011 at 12:37 am

Your cat cracks me up!
Only a cat would find the most random of
places to take a nap.

Hannah January 20, 2011 at 12:44 am

That smoothie looks so, so refreshing and gorgeous. I’ve been trying to make something like that but I think your strawberry and blueberry choice is key – I’ve been using frozen raspberries and the smoothie ends up being a bit too tart for my liking.

Also, your cat has the most beautiful eyes!

Red Deception January 20, 2011 at 12:52 am

Your cat looks like a little leopard :)

Pamela Martinez January 20, 2011 at 1:19 am

Ya gotta love the tempo runs! They’re really good for improving your time too. I’ve been working out a lot indoors because of the cold and the fact that it’s so dark when I have time to exercise. I just recently added jumping rope to my workouts and I have to tell you that it has done wonders for my leg strength. I felt so strong when I went on my long run on Sunday. I highly recommend jumping rope to enhance your running.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 9:03 am

Wow I haven’t jumped rope in years…but I used to do it as a workout and it was always killer! I should invest in a rope soon. Great idea :)

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 20, 2011 at 1:57 am

Haha I keep tortyring myself with cold smoothies too!

Emmy (Wine and Butter) January 20, 2011 at 2:41 am

You are so committed and organised exercise wise. Youve inspired me! All winter Ive been considering it enough of an acheivement just to stand on the treadmill – I think I have actually decreased my average speed :)… Tomorrow I will challenge myself! xox

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 9:03 am

I normally don’t create training plans, but when my motivation hit an all time low I thought it would help, and so far it really has. :) I like it for Winter anyways!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 20, 2011 at 2:56 am

Tempo runs are great for getting a good high though, because you push yourself harder, so I love tempo runs (afterwards!) :P
Yummy smoothie! Looks delish! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 9:02 am

oh yea I felt AMAZING afterwards!!!

Beach Bum Beauty January 20, 2011 at 3:39 am

Congrats on the tempo run, it sounds hardcore! The berry smoothie looks scrumptious and as berries are my fruit of choice, I’ll be indulging.

Healthy Chocoholic January 20, 2011 at 5:42 am

Sounds like an awesome, if uber-difficult workout!
Aaand that smoothie looks fabulous! So thick and creamy!

Chari January 20, 2011 at 5:46 am

WOW, your cat is gorgeous!!! That smoothie looks so good, but I don’t have any strawberries, rats! Maybe I’ll just add peaches instead :-)

CathyK January 20, 2011 at 6:12 am

great work on keeping the tempo in your tempo, angela! and thanks for sharing your feedback on your workout! tempos are soo not easy!
i had the pleasure of meeting hal higdon at a race expo and he is the nicest man…and so knowledgeable. glad to see so many bloggers find his tips and training plans useful.
stay warm!

JL goes Vegan January 20, 2011 at 6:29 am

Argh! My cats go for the light box, too! It’s sided with parchment paper and one feel through the top about a week after making it. I know have to store it on a the top shelf of a book case! LOL

I have a love hate relationship with the tempo run. I dread them before I do them and then I’m thrilled while doing it because it makes the run itself more interesting and goes by quicker (that’s a tempo run outside, by the way — hate the treadmill but on it right now due to weather. Blech)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 9:01 am

Your cat fell through the top?? omgggg that is hilarious. I could so see Sketchie doing that.

Meesh January 20, 2011 at 6:36 am

I love how you research your runs and set out a plan. I tend to just run and hope for the best, which may not be the best approach. Love the cat in the light box, totally made me smile! And your smoothie pics are gorgeous!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 20, 2011 at 6:38 am

I love berries, especially frozen, in my smoothies. Such a pretty color!

stacey-healthylife January 20, 2011 at 6:42 am

Sketchie is so cute. Love him in the light box. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 20, 2011 at 6:50 am

Tempo runs are great! Way to push through. On a treadmill, no less.

lindsay January 20, 2011 at 6:53 am

oh that picture of sketchy just made me spit out my coffee, HILARIOUS! and of course, I love the chia seed addition to the smoothie. Great post run nourishment.

Allison January 20, 2011 at 6:57 am

I stumbled across your website a month or so ago. LOVE what you are doing and enjoy looking to see what you are up to everyday. Thanks for your recipes, humor and a glimpse into your life. My husband and I are transitioning to a vegan lifestyle and you are making it easier! I am also a runner and appreciate your experiences so much!

Dancer January 20, 2011 at 6:58 am

Ahhhhhhhhh!! Now I know what a tempo run is! lol. And now I know that I used to train like that all the time w/out even knowing it! It does wonders for your time, and if you push your incline during your speed increase you are going to ROCK IT in your next race. Trust me!

I used to avoid any training program w/anything complicated sounding like “Tempo Run” or “Fartleks” lol!

BTW…I have finally jumped on the GM bandwagon and I have one every single morning after I workout :) I’m ADDICTED. You deserve compensation for starting that movement! I really feel great.

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 20, 2011 at 7:13 am

The tempo run sounds interesting. I really like doing interval runs but haven’t in a while- I think I need to bring them back to change my workouts a bit.

Lauren January 20, 2011 at 7:54 am

I love how you broke down the tempo run, sounds hard but like a good workout. I’m working on making a spring half marathon plan and really want to include a speed workout each week in the form or intervals or tempo runs.

Leanne January 20, 2011 at 7:54 am

Did a tempo run myself last night! I’m using Hal’s advice as well. Definitely makes the run more interesting and fun and challenging. I’m very worried about being on the treadmill so often lately though. Haven’t been on the road in about 2 weeks. Have you done any training for a half marathon mostly on a treadmill? I’m doing the Burlington half at the beginning of March and I’m worried that this cold, snowy winter isn’t going to allow me to get outside!!!!!!

I’ve got to go out and get those Chia seeds!!!!!!!! Wish I wasn’t so afraid of change in my diet…I’m in awe of all of your recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 9:09 am

Oh wow kudos to you for running Burlington! I was debating running that one, but I decided I didn’t have enough time to train. I will be mostly training for my April 9th half indoors on the treadmill. I am concerned about how this will affect my actual race, but I’m hoping to get outdoors mid March and beyond (hopefully there isnt too much snow and cold, but who knows!). I think for this half, Im not going to set a time goal just to ease my nerves. Im going to look at it as simply a ‘race opener’ of the season and have fun with it. :) I think the cold weather REALLY decreases one’s speed. It is so much harder to breathe when it is cold out. Just take it easy and have fun! :)

Lisa January 20, 2011 at 7:55 am

Sketchie is such a character! Love the smoothie oozing over the sides yum!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner January 20, 2011 at 8:01 am

I also don’t like rigid plans! I’m contemplating training for a marathon, but the idea of following a training plan is really off-putting to me.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 20, 2011 at 8:12 am

Hehe so THIS is what you were tweeting about yesterday! Sounds delicious and super refreshing. I haven’t had berries in my smoothies for a long time (well, since the fall) but I’m starting to feel a bit of withdrawal so I may have to go buy a bag of frozen ones. I’m glad your tempo run went well! :)

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 20, 2011 at 8:22 am

Thanks for describing a tempo run. I’ve heard of them before but never really knew what they were. Congrats on pushing through even when it’s tough!

Jackie @ Baking Charms January 20, 2011 at 8:35 am

Ahhhmazing that you actually get him to sit there for you! I wish my puppy would do that.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 9:06 am

Actually I can’t get him to get OUT of the box!

Marlène January 20, 2011 at 8:38 am

Tempo runs are so effective for increasing speed! I did weekly tempo runs outside last summer (I used my heart rate as the gauge), and I noticed after a while that I was traveling much farther in the same amount of time. It was incredible – I never saw such a progression in my running before. And come race day, it helped me blow my goal of a 25min 5k by almost a minute (I finished in 24:08).

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 9:06 am

Wow that is so inspiring! Thanks for sharing. I will think of this when I’m busting a$$ and want to give up….heh

Amy January 20, 2011 at 8:40 am

I really enjoy your blog. Your delicious berry smoothie got me wondering- where do you get your fruit in Canada in winter (I’m south of Montreal in NYS) and do you use organic? Sure looked delicious. MIne was a chocolate cherry bomb this am with two fistfuls of spinach! mmmm

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 9:05 am

I have a couple bags of frozen President’s Choice brand in the freezer…I find frozen is always best for me in the Winter because the ‘fresh’ stuff just tastes bad. I use organic blueberries and then regular strawberries (because PC brand doesnt have organic strawberries).

Amy January 20, 2011 at 11:54 am

Thanks- those strawberries looked delish….My blueberries were picked (9lbs!) and frozen this summer and organic. Next summer, I’ll pick twice the amount, and I’ll do strawberries, too! I feel like all the food I froze from summer gardens is GOLD in my freezer :)

Jessamyn January 20, 2011 at 8:40 am

That smoothie looks so freaking tasty- post-workout beverage inspiration? I’m thinking so!

Baking 'n' Books January 20, 2011 at 8:44 am

Looks great! Do you do dairy at all? Yogurt?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 8:58 am

Nope…no animal products :)

Baking 'n' Books January 20, 2011 at 4:05 pm

What about Soy or other forms?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 20, 2011 at 9:05 am

tempos are so ouch harder on the treadmill, in my opinion. i’m really looking forward to spring weather!

i do the same thing with smoothies. it is a vicious cycle: exercise – sweat – smoothie – shiver – burn self in shower. :)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 20, 2011 at 9:21 am

I think a delicious smoothie is the perfect way to finish a run!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 20, 2011 at 9:22 am

LOL.. what a silly cat.

I love reading about your running.. I am starting couch to 5 k.. in the process of getting my treadmill moved from the basement of my X’s house to my apartment! I’m also going to be training my dog to run on the treadmill

Lauren January 20, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’m really enjoying your blog and recipes! I noticed for your smoothie that you use frozen strawberries & blueberries; do you always buy organic berries? I’m currently studying to become a holistic nutritionist (I also just started a blog!) and recently learned that berries – particulary strawberries are one of the worst fruits for pesticides. They have pesticides on them that contain carcinogens, which is directly linked to causing cancer. If they are frozen, organic – what brand are they?
Thanks!
Lauren

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 9:30 am

yes it is true that strawberries are one of the top ‘offenders’ for pesticides!
Right now I have organic President’s Choice blueberries and regular P.C. strawberries (only because they don’t have organic as an option). I occasionally buy the organic strawberries in other brands, but it is about twice the price. I usually don’t keep them in stock, but I think they are fun to buy once and a while to add into smoothies.

Maria January 20, 2011 at 9:33 am

My goodness, Sketchie in the lightbox is priceless! Your cat always gives me a laugh. :)

Natalie January 20, 2011 at 9:35 am

Hal’s running mthod is spectacular. I followed his marathon training program when I thought I was going to run a marathon (taking the Bar exam instead so, eh) and my running time has gotten so much better as a result. I used to only be able to do about a 10 to 11 minute mile but now my time is so much better, about 8:30 to 9:30 minute miles. Those tempo runs are no joke!
As for Mr. Sketchie, tell him that my two cats Rocky and Suzy are very jealous, because they have to fight over the window in my room. They just love that perfect warm, cozy and small spot.

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 20, 2011 at 9:55 am

Sketchie is looking so cute. Great job with the tempo runs, I am trying to do them and I know its no joke. I make berry smoothies all the time, I love them for breakfast.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 20, 2011 at 10:19 am

Sounds like you had an intense run! You definitely deserved that awesome smoothie!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 20, 2011 at 10:21 am

That smoothie is absolutely gorgeous.

Ashley January 20, 2011 at 10:32 am

Thank you so much for explaining it! I think I’m going to try one soon because I really want to do a 5k this year but I want a good time also.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 20, 2011 at 10:34 am

Sounds like an amazing tempo run! They definitely aren’t meant to be easy, but do they work!

Amber K January 20, 2011 at 10:35 am

I crank the heater up and layer on the clothing and sip my smoothies with glee :)

Camille January 20, 2011 at 10:47 am

I’m pretty jealous of your treadmill. I would kill to have one at home!

Anne January 20, 2011 at 10:49 am

My cat Lena loves sitting under my one remaining non-fluorescent light-bulb, which is in my desk lamp. If she can get away with it, she especially loves sitting under the lamp while on my laptop. Warmth sandwich. I could see her and Sketchie getting together to protest fluorescent light-bulbs as depriving kitties of necessary winter sunbathing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 11:09 am

I totally laughed at ‘warmth sandwich’….Sketchie also loves sleeping on the laptop keyboard. *sigh…the things we do for our pets

Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 20, 2011 at 10:56 am

That tempo run looks tough but interesting!

I can’t believe you can run at those speeds! Right now I do my “runs” at 5.2mph…

You’re inspiring to beginner runners like me! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 11:08 am

When I started running I could only run 1 minute at a time :) We all start from somewhere! Goood for you for sticking with it!

Moni'sMeals January 20, 2011 at 10:57 am

Sketchie is so cute!

Nice work on your temp run.

That is a beautiful smoothie, and yes it looks cold. :)

Kathryn January 20, 2011 at 11:01 am

Have I mentioned that I love sketchie? And now he even has professional headshots. I can only imagine what is resume might say on it!

Hearing about that (well, reading…) tempo run makes me glad I’m a beginner still. Looks like you kicked butt! I’ll think of you for inspriation when I run my 2.6 miles tonight after work in the cold (Nor Cal cold, not Canada cold!).

Have a great day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 11:07 am

haha ‘professional headshots’!!!

Ashley January 20, 2011 at 11:10 am

It may be cold but a smoothie does sound really good right now

Christabel January 20, 2011 at 11:42 am

Angela,

Have you ever thought about running outside using something like YakTrax? I have not tried them but they seem like a good idea. I have no idea how cold/icy it is where you are but it might be worth.

I always freeze after my smoothies too. I always take a hot shower after my morning smoothie. Brr!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I would totally try those out but unfortunately where I live the roads are with transport trucks and it is NOT safe….even running in the summer on the roads is a stretch at times. It’s a bummer!

Megan (Braise The Roof) January 20, 2011 at 11:58 am

That’s a really helpful breakdown of what a tempo run is supposed to be- I never knew! And the smoothie looks delicious- at least you didn’t get brain freeze! :)

Alex @ Healing Beauty January 20, 2011 at 11:59 am

I love smoothies! They make the most refreshing post-workout snack and cool-down treat!

Nicole @ Yuppie Yogini January 20, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Sketchie is such a good blogger cat!

Beth January 20, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Our cats would do the same thing. And your light box looks to be the perfect size for your kitty to use and stay warm.

That berrylicious smoothie looks great.
I had a similar smoothie this morning and found it quite refreshing. I used frozen banana, frozen raspberries and some chia gel that I had in fridge waiting to be used. Yum!

[email protected] January 20, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Gorgeous pictures! Love them! Sketchie is soooo cute :)

I think I’ve done a tempo run without realizing it….. I had never even heard of tempo runs before!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 20, 2011 at 12:48 pm

You gave me a shiver from just looking at that smoothie!

Kelsey January 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Just curious . . . and completely unrelated to the purple amazingness above, but do you have a recipe for baked oatmeal?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Hmm no I don’t think I do. I’ll have to tackle that at some point!

Jen January 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Hey! I have been following you for awhile on this blog and was hoping to ask if you think working up to those speeds is fine for tempo running? I’m a lot slower than you are and right now my max speed is 6.3 on the treadmill.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Hey Jen! The beauty of the Tempo run is that you can adjust it to suit your needs. :) If 6.3 mph is your current ‘peak’ then I would make that your fastest speed 2/3 of the way through the Tempo. Maybe you could start out with a warm up around 5 mph and gradually build to 6.3 mph for a couple minutes before cooling down. Just have fun with it and always tailor it to your current level. :)

Hannah January 20, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Angela, that is one of the most amazing colors of a smoothie I have ever seen!

Rose January 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm

What a great run! Good job.

Jess January 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm

what a beautiful looking (and i’m sure tasting!) drink.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 20, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’ve been loving smoothies too lately, but they make me SO darn cold!! I usually eat one right before showering, that way the water can warm me up.

Sketchie in the lightbox = priceless.

Julie January 20, 2011 at 2:52 pm

WOW!!!! The color of that smoothie is a-m-a-zing! I must make this soon :)

Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 20, 2011 at 3:22 pm

congrats on your great tempo run! i don’t know why i always thought intervals = tempo runs. now i know differently! and your smoothie looks like the perfect reward for a great run. :)

Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 20, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie January 20, 2011 at 3:44 pm

My cat would totally also take over the light box! He can’t resist an open box. Too cute!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 20, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Thanks for the explanation of tempo runs! I never knew what they were. I’ve actually sometimes followed a similar pattern on my treadmill runs, so I guess I’ve been doing them without even knowing it!

That smoothie looks like the perfect refresher. :D

Richelle January 21, 2011 at 9:50 am

You’re cat is so cute. I made a smoothie after my long run last weekend, it was all I was craving too!

Imwaytoobusy January 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I have not had one smoothie craving all winter, until now ;) I bookmarked that puppy and there may be (*will be) smoothies after the workout tomorrow!

Kath January 22, 2011 at 9:43 am

I LOVE that third photo of Sketch!!

Jes (@Self Motivation) January 22, 2011 at 9:57 am

Your cat is so adorable!

ackkitchen February 1, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Any music ideas to help keep the pace while you run? I cannot wait to try this!

angie May 29, 2013 at 11:46 am

Hi I am a vegan, been a vegetarian half of my 28 years and a vegan half of that. I recovered from an eating disorder after my daughter was born. I am a single mother to a wonderful vegetarian little girl. Running became a great way to find recovery from all of the stress… My problem is only one, I can not afford new shoes ever. I had one semi expensive pair (80.00 $us$) They are warn down and old and running began to hurt. Somedays I couldn’t walk. I was told over and over I needed new shoes so I was forced to stop running. Sadly I am not very well off and the vegan diet is expensive in its self. I have gained a good amount of weight but I dont much care about that… I just miss running so much. Do you know of any good but cheap running shoes? Or will I never run again?