Oil-Free Apple Pie Muffin Tops

IMG_9289

The other night as I was giving my Recipes page a makeover, I realized that I have a bit of a thing for creating healthy snack cookies.

I have devoured…

1) Banana Apricot Spelt Oatmeal Cookies

IMG_1174_thumb

2) Itty Bitty Carrot Cake Cookies

20101120IMG_1224_thumb

3) Pumpkin Pie Banana Chunk Cookies

14of4_thumb

4) Pumpkin Sesame Cookies

20101014IMG_6229_thumb

Healthy snack cookies bring me great joy. The other night, as I looked out my window to yet another blistery snow storm, I realized that I needed more joy in my life.

The kind of joy that tastes great, but still allows me to button my pants the next day. I needed joy with a healthy twist…

IMG_9270

IMG_9287

First thing we do is mix the flax egg and set it aside to gel up.

Now, peel your apples. Grate 1 of the apples and chop the other into 1 inch pieces.

IMG_9221

Perfecto!

Add both apples,1 tbsp lemon juice, and 1/4 cup pure maple syrup into a pot, stir well, and heat on medium-low.

IMG_9223

Why cook the apples?

The reason I cooked the apples was to allow the maple and lemon flavours to soak into the apple, creating sweet, soft bites of apple, just like you’d find in an apple pie. The result was fantastic! It really didn’t add much time at all since you are preparing the other ingredients as they cook.

Meanwhile…

IMG_9226

Whisk together the dry ingredients.

IMG_9227-2

In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (gelled up flax egg, 1/3 cup mashed banana, 1/4 cup almond milk, vanilla)

IMG_9229

Fun Fact: The mashed banana served as the oil-replacer in this recipe.

After the apples have cooked on the stovetop for about 5-10 minutes, add them to the wet ingredients.

IMG_9233

Stir all wet ingredients together, including this cooked apple mixture.

IMG_9234

Now add the wet to the dry…

IMG_9237

Mix well. It will take a while for the mixture to come together, but not to worry!

IMG_9239

Stir until the flour is all mixed in. The batter will be very thick.

Scoop 2 tbsp of the mixture onto the baking sheet for each cookie/muffin top.

IMG_9241-2

Bake for 14 minutes at 350F.

IMG_9284

You will be left with an addicting snack cookie, that is like biting into a soft and chewy muffin top! My mother-in-law, friend Jessica, Eric, and I all gave these a big thumbs up and they went very fast. They are a great snack if you are looking for a pick-me-up that won’t give you a sugar crash.

IMG_9270

I’m off to do my first Tempo run of my Winter 2011 Half Marathon training plan. Any tips for Tempo runs? I’ll do a recap of what I did and let you know how it goes…Wish me luck!

Page 3 of 3«123
Rachel October 20, 2014

I just made these, they are delicious!! I halved the sugar, and they still taste great. Only issue is they never spread out at all, they stayed in a clump!! Any idea why?

Bug Woman October 9, 2014

I just made these and completely forgot to add the sugar to the dry ingredients. But when they were baked, I realised that they were perfect just as they were with the apple and maple syrup providing enough sweetness. As testament to which, I have just eaten three :-)

Heather October 21, 2012

I don’t have spelt flour–do you think I could sub whole wheat flour?

Melinda April 25, 2012

Just baked these, so yummy and cute. I could npt feel any banana in there, in case someone is wondering. They were not too sweet, but sweet enough. Yummy healthy snack. I only wonder if they have to be “sponge” like? Mine were not crusnchy, even though I baked them for 15 minutes.

sonia February 1, 2011

This is my first time at ur blog. I’m loving the details and presentation of all your recipes. Its fantastic …from every angle !

Katie January 29, 2011

Wow these are amazing!! I just made a batch and ate TWO right out of the oven. I’m so glad my husband’s friends are coming over tonight – otherwise i’d eat the whole pan myself. Thank you for making healthy eating so dang delicious. :)

kim January 25, 2011

Made these for a “Biggest Loser” group i am helping at work. OMG sooo good! Couldn’t believe all the flavor that was packed in that moist little bite! Thank you so much!

Anja January 25, 2011

These look and sound so good! I really want to try them, but there’s one problem: I’m terribly allergic to bananas! :( Do you have any suggestions for other non-oil substitutions?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 25, 2011

I would try applesauce :)

May Cookie Co. January 24, 2011

SO excited to try this recipe! I’m hoping it’ll bring me back to the days of warm apple pies in the fall when it wasn’t so frigid outside!

Maya January 21, 2011

Just made these and they’re DELICIOUS. Please come up with new flavor variations! Perhaps banana and pumpkin?

Seriously, they are so good.

Leanne @healthfulpursuit January 21, 2011

I knew I had to try to make these the minute I saw them. I had to change a couple of things so I could enjoy them too – made them gluten free, sugar free… but they were SO DELICIOUS! Holy moly. I’m in love.

If you’re interested in seeing the gluten and sugar free version Angela, check out: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/01/apple-pie-muffin-clusters/

These are totally going to be a staple snack at our house. Thank you, thank you!

Lana Perry January 20, 2011

I JUST baked these and ate one, they are indeed DELICIOUS! Thank you so much! I have just recently started a vegan diet and studying your blog has really helped. And I’ve been craving a dang baked good (also have to reduce early diabetes2 so can’t just go buy one), and these were perfect. LOVE your work, blog, passion and drive…please keep fueling us! -Lana

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011

Lana..u are a sweetheart. Thanks so much!

Cara Craves... January 20, 2011

Apple crisp in muffin form; I love that!

Hannah January 20, 2011

Gosh, lady, you post delicious recipes faster than I can make and eat them! My bookmarks are getting out of control, but I think this one might go to the top of the list ;)

Kat @ Cupcake Kat January 19, 2011

Yum! I was just thinking today about making some apple muffins. This is great

Camille January 19, 2011

Healthy cookies mean you get to eat more of them, right? :)

Sarah January 19, 2011

Those look wonderful! Vitatops has NOTHING on your muffin tops :) I love the postive spin on muffin tops…

Baking 'n' Books January 19, 2011

Okay – Book. Marked.

Holy crap, you had me at the freaking title of this post! When I can never decide if I want to make a muffin or a cookie, I dub it a “Mookie” ;)…better than “Cuffin” I think…?

Love healthy baked goods that are in the form of anything carby. Just made Banana Bread Muffins that are the best ever – and NO added sugar or oils! Soooo good! :)

Good luck with your tempo – do you run outside? Many days I can stay inside for a longggggg time – I really need to get out more, but can’t seem to bring myself to…