Oil-Free Apple Pie Muffin Tops

IMG_9289

The other night as I was giving my Recipes page a makeover, I realized that I have a bit of a thing for creating healthy snack cookies.

I have devoured…

1) Banana Apricot Spelt Oatmeal Cookies

IMG_1174_thumb

2) Itty Bitty Carrot Cake Cookies

20101120IMG_1224_thumb

3) Pumpkin Pie Banana Chunk Cookies

14of4_thumb

4) Pumpkin Sesame Cookies

20101014IMG_6229_thumb

Healthy snack cookies bring me great joy. The other night, as I looked out my window to yet another blistery snow storm, I realized that I needed more joy in my life.

The kind of joy that tastes great, but still allows me to button my pants the next day. I needed joy with a healthy twist…

IMG_9270

IMG_9287

First thing we do is mix the flax egg and set it aside to gel up.

Now, peel your apples. Grate 1 of the apples and chop the other into 1 inch pieces.

IMG_9221

Perfecto!

Add both apples,1 tbsp lemon juice, and 1/4 cup pure maple syrup into a pot, stir well, and heat on medium-low.

IMG_9223

Why cook the apples?

The reason I cooked the apples was to allow the maple and lemon flavours to soak into the apple, creating sweet, soft bites of apple, just like you’d find in an apple pie. The result was fantastic! It really didn’t add much time at all since you are preparing the other ingredients as they cook.

Meanwhile…

IMG_9226

Whisk together the dry ingredients.

IMG_9227-2

In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (gelled up flax egg, 1/3 cup mashed banana, 1/4 cup almond milk, vanilla)

IMG_9229

Fun Fact: The mashed banana served as the oil-replacer in this recipe.

After the apples have cooked on the stovetop for about 5-10 minutes, add them to the wet ingredients.

IMG_9233

Stir all wet ingredients together, including this cooked apple mixture.

IMG_9234

Now add the wet to the dry…

IMG_9237

Mix well. It will take a while for the mixture to come together, but not to worry!

IMG_9239

Stir until the flour is all mixed in. The batter will be very thick.

Scoop 2 tbsp of the mixture onto the baking sheet for each cookie/muffin top.

IMG_9241-2

Bake for 14 minutes at 350F.

IMG_9284

You will be left with an addicting snack cookie, that is like biting into a soft and chewy muffin top! My mother-in-law, friend Jessica, Eric, and I all gave these a big thumbs up and they went very fast. They are a great snack if you are looking for a pick-me-up that won’t give you a sugar crash.

IMG_9270

I’m off to do my first Tempo run of my Winter 2011 Half Marathon training plan. Any tips for Tempo runs? I’ll do a recap of what I did and let you know how it goes…Wish me luck!

1 Tiffany January 19, 2011

Mmmm… those look great!! Good luck with your training plan!

2 Alex @ Healing Beauty January 19, 2011

I dreamt about those muffins after seeing the picture yesterday! Cannot wait to try these out!

3 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) January 19, 2011

ahhh these are fabulous. my mom will LOVE THESE!

4 Christine January 19, 2011

Looking at this post makes me realize how long it’s been since I’ve made a healthy snack cookie. I’ll definitely be looking over your pages later today for inspiration!

5 jen @ taste life January 19, 2011

Ang babe, those look amazing! Just love the step by step photos (as always).

6 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 19, 2011

these look so good angela! i love healthy snacks, i went through a huge muffin phase a few years ago and baked/created nothing but healthy muffins. so glad I wrote all the recipes down because I love to visit them often :) I have so many apples I’m thinking I’ll probably add these to my list of things to make!

7 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 19, 2011

These little guys are so cute!

8 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 19, 2011

Gleee these look great! My ‘fetish’ is small healthy or sem-healty bites. Can be tiny cookies, balls, truffles, frozen PB? choc glob, etc.

9 Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan January 19, 2011

amazing! SO easy too!

10 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 19, 2011

PS I made those pumpkin pie cookies ages ago and they were amazing! The rest I haven’t tried, weirdly enough.

11 Nichole (Flirting with Food Fitness & Fashion) January 19, 2011

I love a “healthy” cookie recipe!!

12 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 19, 2011

These sound delicious Ange! I love apple pie and I like your healthified version! I often do tempo runs and I find one of the best things to do to spur me along is to plan my playlists properly so that the beat of the music doesn’t slow down too much, because I’ll unknowingly drop my pace – it’s weird but the music really does affect the way I run!

13 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 19, 2011

yum! It’d be so easy to make these gluten free too! I must try! Have fun running this morning!

14 Moni'sMeals January 19, 2011

Yum! Maybe these would be good with some fresh ginger too, I just bought a whole bunch. :)

Good luck!

15 Kara M. January 19, 2011

YUM! I can’t wait to make these!

16 stephchows January 19, 2011

mmm how I love healthy cookies!! I need to add these to the to bake list!

17 cathyb.@brightbakes January 19, 2011

Mmmm…I love all your “snack cookies”….especially fond of the itty bitty carrot cake cookies!
love,
cathy b.

18 Krystina (Basil & Wine) January 19, 2011

I just love the chunks of apple!

19 Beach Bum Beauty January 19, 2011

I love the names you pick for the cookies almost as much as I love the recipes! Made your macaroni cheese last night and can’t believe how chessy it tastes even though there’s no cheese. Trouble is my husband loved it a bit too much and now wants me to make it again asap!

20 Ashley January 19, 2011

I hate bananas, but this looks sooo good. Do you think they could be replaced with applesauce, or can you even taste them in there?

21 Joslyn @ missfitbliss January 19, 2011

I like how delicate and cute these look! I’m in a bit of a baking lull these days, so this may be just the recipe to help pull me out of my rut:)

22 Sarah January 19, 2011

I just love your site, Angela! You have the kind of creativity with healthy, satisfying food I wish I had!

23 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe January 19, 2011

These look amazing! I’m a huge muffin fan, so any muffin recipe that is healthy and good for the waistline gets an A+ in my book! Thanks for the recipe:)

24 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe January 19, 2011

25 Annie@stronghealthyfit January 19, 2011

Mm I love muffin tops, especially healthy ones :-)

26 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 19, 2011

You’ve defintiely kept me in full-supply of good cookies this winter! Those Sesame Pumpkin cookies were my favorite.

Apple may have to happen tomorrow… I have some ripe bananas begging to be used.

27 Trish @I_am_Succeeding January 19, 2011

YUM!!!!!!!

28 Katie January 19, 2011

I totally have a thing for small healthy cookies too. I am always looking for new ones, and I just got a bunch of bananas yesterday! I am on a sugar free kick though…so I might have to try to make these without the sugar. I think I’m up for the challenge!

29 Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 19, 2011

This recipe looks so delicious!

Those no-bake almond butter chews are my fave after work snack right now. I have one when I get home so that while I cook dinner I’m not ravenous! These “muffin tops” look like they’d do the trick as well!

Good luck with your tempo run today!

30 Dani @ Body By Nature January 19, 2011

Now THIS is the kind of muffin tops I can get behind :)

31 Christina January 19, 2011

That looka amazing! I never know what to do with my left over apples that are on their last days so this is a great recipe! Usually I just munch on them until I’m sick of them ahahahaha!

32 Jenny- About a Girl Finding her Healthy January 19, 2011

Mmm… apple pie… These really look good. Another must try from you!
Thank you for your continued recipe inspiration, you’re helping to open my eyes on healthy baking alternatives and super delicious, healthy food!

Good luck with your half-marathon training!

33 Amber K January 19, 2011

Those look mouthwateringly delicious!

34 Alaina January 19, 2011

I love anything apple and pie related. :-) These look amazing. I wish I had the ingredients on hand right now!

35 Gen January 19, 2011

Where has this recipe been all my life? It looks WONDERFUL! Thanks!

36 Steph@stephsbitebybite January 19, 2011

I am loving the sound of these! Your pictures have got my tummy growling :) Love that these are so good without being so bad!

37 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 19, 2011

Those look SO GOOD!!! Delicious! :)

38 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 19, 2011

Wow– what a great, healthy snack! I love how portable they are too!

39 Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside January 19, 2011

And this is one of the MANY reasons I adore your blog. The healthy sweet snacks. Ah, yes!

40 Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 19, 2011

These look yummy.

41 JL Goes Vegan January 19, 2011

I like the two textures of the apple. I assume the grated helps old things together? And I love a “chunk” of fruit in my treats. Love that it’s so wholesome!

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2011

Yes I would agree that it holds it together more and it also adds a ton of moisture too!

43 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 19, 2011

These look incredible!!

44 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 19, 2011

I didn’t think I would love anything more than your pumpkin cookies – I think this might take the cake for a while. I’m planning on whipping up a batch pronto!

45 Amy January 19, 2011

I have a spare apple that I couldn’t find a use for, and this recipe looks perfect! I’ll just half the recipe and make it gf. Yum!

The pumpkin semase cookie looks good too, I’ll have to try that next week!

46 Stacie January 19, 2011

Yummmmy!!…so easy and healthy to boot :) Most of us have these ingredients on hand too which makes it all that much better. Good luck with your run!!
P.S. I still marvel at your vegan Thanksgiving dinner, recipes and wonderful pictures! Truly a professional waiting to make the big leap. When’s that cookbook coming?! ;) Yah!!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2011

*blushing* ;)

48 Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 19, 2011

These muffin tops looks scrumptious! I love that they are oil-free, and the apple pie flavor sounds amazing!

49 Marjie January 19, 2011

Could you sub honey for the maple syrup? I have all other ingredients on hand except the Maple syrup. Look yummo!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2011

I can’t see why not!

51 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 19, 2011

I love how simple the ingredient list is! Sometimes vegan baking freaks me out with all the weird sub-ins. These look great!

52 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 19, 2011

These look so moist and delicious! :D

53 Kelly January 19, 2011

Looks so good especially since I have a weakness for apple pie.

54 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 19, 2011

I love that they are called muffin tops. Definitely one of the most important things for me in cookies is the texture.

55 Lauren at KeepItSweet January 19, 2011

Another recipe that I’ll save and want to make asap!

56 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle January 19, 2011

omg, when is your cookbook coming out? haha, I would totally buy it if you had one!!!

57 megan @ blackberries for jam January 19, 2011

I love your healthy cookie recipes! They are the only things that compel me to stray from my trusted go-to super charge me cookies. The carrot cake cookies are my favorite! These new ones must be made immediately.

58 Allison @ Food For Healing January 19, 2011

i LOVE apples, those look just delicious, might be something i need to whip up

59 Amanda (Eating Up) January 19, 2011

Hehe I believe the bakery near my apt calls these things “muffies”!

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2011

muffies…love that!

61 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 19, 2011

I love healthy snack cookies! These look delicious. My family is a big fan of apple pie so these would be great for them.

62 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 19, 2011

These look great, Angela! I love muffin top anything! And I love apples, oats, brown sugar, so seriously…cannot go wrong!

And the links to your older cookie recipes…some forgotten gems so thank you for un-earthing them so i could drool again :)

And of course, major props again, for the recipe reorganization project. That and watching paint dry are probably leaving you on the edge of your seat….so thank you for doing it for us all :)

63 Kelly January 19, 2011

I’m allergic to bananas (something the developed fairly recently, and I only discovered after downing two of them after a marathon…ugh). Do you think unsweetened applesauce would work in place of the mashed banana?

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2011

yes i think applesauce is a great idea! might want to use sweetened since bananas are so sweet…

65 kimmy January 19, 2011

Muffin Tops remind me of Gilmore Girls!

66 Jess January 19, 2011

as always angela, these cookies look phenomenal. i don’t however have spelt flower, do you think i could use a combination of all purpose and whole wheat to get a similar result?

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2011

Yes I think you could for sure! Although, I would try using a couple tablespoons LESS of whole wheat + white flour.

I *think* the rule of thumb is 1 cup wheat flour = 1 cup + 2 tbsp of spelt flour. Although I could be wrong..

68 Jess January 20, 2011

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind:)

69 Christine (The Raw Project) January 19, 2011

Just wow, another awesome creation from you! These look wonderful and I’d love to try them. Good luck with your training!

70 Laura @ Starting Out Fit January 19, 2011

And these have been added to my “must-bake” list. ;) They look amazing!

71 Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 19, 2011

I so wanna make these! All of the ingredients are staples in my kitchen, and I’m guessing in most readers of this blog! Will I have the time to tonight? One never knows but way to go Angela!

72 Nicole (I have trouble with forward motion) January 19, 2011

After seeing the carrot cake cookies, I HAD to make them today! Mine flattened out when baked, but they are SO DELICIOUS!

73 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 19, 2011

oooh I am a big fan of apple baked into things so I think I would adore these cookies!! Thanks for sharing :)

74 Kris | iheartwellness.com January 19, 2011

Filling and healthy :) I can’t get enough of treats that are simple and small enough to pop into the mouth ;) I have been the queen of little treats lately!

Anything apple owns my heart.

xxoo

75 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 19, 2011

How interesting! These look delicious. I’m all about healthy treats. :-)

76 stacey-healthylife January 19, 2011

I love healthy cookies. Can’t go wrong when it resembles a cookie.

77 lauren January 19, 2011

Now those are my kind of cookies! delicious and healthy! thanks for sharing these awesome recipes.

78 ashley@quasichick January 19, 2011

I love apple pie, so when I saw these I was beyond excited! Thank you so much Ang :)

79 Lindsey January 19, 2011

I literally just printed out every single one of those recipes. They all look delicious! Plus they’re healthy :) Thanks!!

80 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 19, 2011

I LOVE your healthy cookies! A delicious cookie without the extra unhealthy stuff added? What could be better?!? These look amazing, and I am making the asap :)

xo

81 Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh January 19, 2011

Love that you call them muffin tops =] They look so moist and delicious!!

82 britt January 19, 2011

i just made these and they are yummy!! i used pink lady apples instead of granny smith and whole wheat flour instead of spelt because it’s what i had on hand. also, i used a little apple sauce in addition to the apples because my apples were small. turned out great, though! thanks for sharing another great, HEALTHY recipe :)

83 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 19, 2011

Good Luck on your training! These look delicious. My favorite part of a muffin are the tops :)

84 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 19, 2011

I have the hardest time keeping bananas around long enough to use them in a recipe. I always eat them first. :P I think I should start keeping a stash of eating bananas and a separate stash of baking bananas.

85 Walnut Lovers January 19, 2011

Thanks for sharing! We post all of the delicious recipes…with walnuts of course, and share them with all of our walnut loving friends. Anyone who loves the walnut, gets our love. If you have a post or are baking something delicious with walnuts, please let us know! Happy Walnut Wednesday!

86 laura January 19, 2011

Terrific! You had me at apple-pie :)

87 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy January 19, 2011

That would be delicious over some greek yogurt with cinnamon!

88 Baking 'n' Books January 19, 2011

Okay – Book. Marked.

Holy crap, you had me at the freaking title of this post! When I can never decide if I want to make a muffin or a cookie, I dub it a “Mookie” ;)…better than “Cuffin” I think…?

Love healthy baked goods that are in the form of anything carby. Just made Banana Bread Muffins that are the best ever – and NO added sugar or oils! Soooo good! :)

Good luck with your tempo – do you run outside? Many days I can stay inside for a longggggg time – I really need to get out more, but can’t seem to bring myself to…

89 Sarah January 19, 2011

Those look wonderful! Vitatops has NOTHING on your muffin tops :) I love the postive spin on muffin tops…

90 Camille January 19, 2011

Healthy cookies mean you get to eat more of them, right? :)

91 Kat @ Cupcake Kat January 19, 2011

Yum! I was just thinking today about making some apple muffins. This is great

92 Hannah January 20, 2011

Gosh, lady, you post delicious recipes faster than I can make and eat them! My bookmarks are getting out of control, but I think this one might go to the top of the list ;)

93 Cara Craves... January 20, 2011

Apple crisp in muffin form; I love that!

94 Lana Perry January 20, 2011

I JUST baked these and ate one, they are indeed DELICIOUS! Thank you so much! I have just recently started a vegan diet and studying your blog has really helped. And I’ve been craving a dang baked good (also have to reduce early diabetes2 so can’t just go buy one), and these were perfect. LOVE your work, blog, passion and drive…please keep fueling us! -Lana

95 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 20, 2011

Lana..u are a sweetheart. Thanks so much!

96 Leanne @healthfulpursuit January 21, 2011

I knew I had to try to make these the minute I saw them. I had to change a couple of things so I could enjoy them too – made them gluten free, sugar free… but they were SO DELICIOUS! Holy moly. I’m in love.

If you’re interested in seeing the gluten and sugar free version Angela, check out: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/01/apple-pie-muffin-clusters/

These are totally going to be a staple snack at our house. Thank you, thank you!

97 Maya January 21, 2011

Just made these and they’re DELICIOUS. Please come up with new flavor variations! Perhaps banana and pumpkin?

Seriously, they are so good.

98 May Cookie Co. January 24, 2011

SO excited to try this recipe! I’m hoping it’ll bring me back to the days of warm apple pies in the fall when it wasn’t so frigid outside!

99 Anja January 25, 2011

These look and sound so good! I really want to try them, but there’s one problem: I’m terribly allergic to bananas! :( Do you have any suggestions for other non-oil substitutions?

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 25, 2011

I would try applesauce :)

101 kim January 25, 2011

Made these for a “Biggest Loser” group i am helping at work. OMG sooo good! Couldn’t believe all the flavor that was packed in that moist little bite! Thank you so much!

102 Katie January 29, 2011

Wow these are amazing!! I just made a batch and ate TWO right out of the oven. I’m so glad my husband’s friends are coming over tonight – otherwise i’d eat the whole pan myself. Thank you for making healthy eating so dang delicious. :)

103 sonia February 1, 2011

This is my first time at ur blog. I’m loving the details and presentation of all your recipes. Its fantastic …from every angle !

104 Melinda April 25, 2012

Just baked these, so yummy and cute. I could npt feel any banana in there, in case someone is wondering. They were not too sweet, but sweet enough. Yummy healthy snack. I only wonder if they have to be “sponge” like? Mine were not crusnchy, even though I baked them for 15 minutes.

105 Heather October 21, 2012

I don’t have spelt flour–do you think I could sub whole wheat flour?

106 Bug Woman October 9, 2014

I just made these and completely forgot to add the sugar to the dry ingredients. But when they were baked, I realised that they were perfect just as they were with the apple and maple syrup providing enough sweetness. As testament to which, I have just eaten three :-)

107 Rachel October 20, 2014

I just made these, they are delicious!! I halved the sugar, and they still taste great. Only issue is they never spread out at all, they stayed in a clump!! Any idea why?