My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 4, 2011

IMG_8273b

IMG_9212

I think Mother Nature was reading my blog post yesterday and decided to play a trick on me.

I woke up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning. It is gorgeous out there right now! No more grass for this town.

IMG_9211-2

Eric has been asking me to make homemade granola for a few weeks now, and I finally got around to it. I always forget how much I love making granola.

IMG_8258

The smell of the fresh granola coming out of the oven is intoxicating, as I sneak bites knowing full well that I am going to burn my tongue, but it tastes too good to wait for it to cool.

And that first bowl of granola with almond milk poured over top…well nothing beats it.

IMG_8282

I’ve made Power House Glonola before, but I wanted to improve upon the recipe and see what I could come up with. I doubt I will ever make the same recipe twice!

IMG_8269

The first thing you do is gather your wet ingredients…

IMG_8205b

I always admire my brown sugar when it comes out of the measuring cup like that!

IMG_8208

Stir well in a saucepan.

IMG_8210

Heat over medium.

IMG_8211

Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently.

While the wet mixture is simmering, grab your dry ingredients.

IMG_8202

For the nuts and seeds, I used 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup sesame seeds, 1/2 cup walnuts, and 1 cup of almonds. All raw. I roughly chopped the walnuts and almonds, but you still want mostly large pieces.

Oats, sweetened coconut flakes, kosher salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground flax.

IMG_8213

Mix all of the dry ingredients together…

IMG_8216

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. It will be very thick and sticky, but keep at it until it is thoroughly mixed. You can do this!

IMG_8218

Now we’re talking!

IMG_8219

Grab a spoon and shove into mouth.

That is some good granola.

Spread onto a baking sheet…

IMG_8220

Bake for 45 minutes at 300F, stirring every 10-15 minutes to ensure even baking.

Voila!

IMG_8253

As the granola cools it will firm up. The result is a crisp granola, but the clumps did not hold together. Next time, I will add another tablespoon of brown rice syrup in hopes of increasing the clump factor!

Allow to cool for about 30 minutes.

Now stir in your dried fruit. I added 1/3 cup raisins and 1/3 cup dried cranberries. I also decided to toss in some pepita seeds for colour.

IMG_8258

Lovely.

Just lovely.

IMG_8260

Grab a 2 litre bell jar.

IMG_8235

That’ll do.

IMG_8237

It fits perfectly!

IMG_8267 IMG_8264

This granola makes a wonderful gift too. Valentine’s Day, perhaps? Maybe there are some men reading whose girlfriends/wives would like some…

That would be so romantic, wouldn’t it?

IMG_8273

I’m here for you girls.

Now pour yourself a bowl and enjoy with some of your favourite milk. I love it with Vanilla Almond Milk and a tablespoon of hemp seeds tossed in for some protein.

IMG_8279

It is just the perfect winter breakfast.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm

this looks delicious! i love the color detail in all the photos, i haven’t made granola in soo long.. might have to change that :)

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm

That looks SO GOOD! I’ve never made granola before…maybe it’s time to start ;)

Halley (Blunder Construction) January 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I recently found out I have a nut allergy, so I’ve veered away from granola in general. I guess I could just boost up the berries/seeds in the recipe. Any other suggestions on what else could replace the nuts in this recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm

hmmm…What about puffed cereal or a gluten free cereal from nature’s path?

Halley (Blunder Construction) January 5, 2011 at 9:35 am

Of course, puffed cereal would be a perfect substitute. Just looking for that crunch- THANKS

Lisa January 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Yummy Yummy Yummy!! Your blog posts just brighten up my day! :)

Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm

You make it look so easy! There’s more ingredients than I would have imagined in there, but they’re all so tasty!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I LOVE making granola too! It’s so soothing and rewarding. Have you tried making it with mashed banana or applesauce yet for nice clumps?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I used applesauce in this one, but only 2 tbsp. I used 1/2 cup in a previous trial and it was much too wet and wouldnt crisp up. Any ideas?

thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 4, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Oops I missed that, haha! 2 tbsp is too little for the clump effect I think, yes. I once dumped 50 grams of applesauce (prob also ½ cup) and it DID crisp up (I let it firm up in the fridge for 2 hours after baking), but it sortof got ranchid after storing! I couldn’t quite pinpoint it, it just smelled a bit off. Maybe somewhere in between we might find the answer ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm

hmm that is interesting…Im going to add to my recipe to store it in the fridge just in case.

Blog is the New Black January 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Your recipe sounds great, but I love just looking at your recipes. Beautiful, like always!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm

nom nom. granola is one of my favorite things to bake – smells so so good! i made 18 cups of ‘christmas crunch granola’ for holiday gifts this year :)

Kelly January 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I love granola but my problem is once I start I can’t stop. That 6 cup recipe would be gone in one day. As much as I love it I have found that it is best for me to not have it in the house. Sad, huh? But at least I know that much about myself. One day I hope to have a better relationship with granola as it is the only food that tempts my self control. But yours looks amazing…I can only imagine how fabulous it must taste!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I LOVE granola! I can just munch away happily for hours! Must try this!
And this WOULD be a great present! Thanks for the idea Angela :)

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm

The pictures of setting out and combining the ingredients are so beautiful. I’ve never made granola, but this definitely makes me want to try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm

thanks hun!

Lauren January 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I love clumpy granola! My boyfriend’s mom made a ton a few weeks ago with me in mind. It’s so good.

kristy @ kristyruns.com January 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I love that you added peanut butter to the mix! And can you please send some of that snow to Georgia please? :)

Lana January 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I would absolutely love it if someone made me granola!!!
p.s. was that a hint to Eric!! lol

Emily January 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm

That granola looks so pretty! I know, pretty granola, wierd, but so true :) I think I will be making some of this for my ski trip in a couple weeks. Is there any substitute for brown rice syrup??

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I LOVE homemade granola! Your recipe sounds fantastic – I will definitely try it within the week!

Lindsay McAlester January 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Cue…large amounts of drool! Looks fab! Can’t wait to make it!

Lizzie January 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Wow – I actually have all the ingredients for this except the applesauce and brown rice syrup. And suggestions for sub to the syrup? More agave?

This looks so good! I bet it would be yummy with a big dollop of natural yogurt too.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I absolutely LOVED your Powerhouse Glonola and I bet this is just as good!! I love all the photos – so fresh and colourful!

Candy (Healthy in Candy Land) January 4, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I have a favorite granola recipe too, but your beautiful photos and awesome ingredient list makes me definitely want to try yours! The only thing I would need to alter is the coconut oil. Can you recommend a substitute? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I think any light tasting oil would work…!

Kathryn January 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm

LOVING the color in this one! So pretty! My husband has been on a granola kick lately (I love, LOVE, it when he eats healthy), maybe I’ll make him some home made to keep him going!

Happy New Year to you Angela!

Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 4, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I think I’ll make this as a gift for my mom’s birthday coming up next week! Thanks for the great recipe Angela!

Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

PS. If I only have unsweetened coconut, is there a specific amount of sugar or something else I should add in to make up for the sweetness? I don’t looooove coconut so I’d rather not go buy another bag!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! January 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm

This sounds delicious and especially comforting on a cold, winter day like this one!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm

What a beautiful gift idea! I love the packaging!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman January 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Oh yum. I’d probably leave out the raisins and cranberries because I hate those in granola, but the rest looks so good!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I actually have all the ingredients on hand right now- that NEVER happens!! My boyfriend just broke his collarbone and I feel like he’d LOVE some of this :)

Healthy Chocoholic January 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

That looks fabulous!!!!
I’ve never actually made my own granola, but I loooove it!!!!

[email protected] January 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Looks delicious!

Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) January 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm

So, so pretty. I’ve been wanting to make homemade granola for a while now and haven’t gotten around to it. This might be the time, though, because this recipe sounds awesome.

Allison @ Food For Healing January 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm

i’ve been craving granola lately, i might have to make this asap seriously, it would taste so good as a snack after the gym or at work especially with hemp seeds mixed in! I just bought a huge thing of hemp hearts yesterday haha

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I’m definitely going to have to forward this onto my mom! She’s been looking for a good granola recipe. I love how you put all the ingredients out with their labels! Its such a great visual.

Jen January 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Hi Angela!
Thanks for the recipe!
I was traveling in America during the holidays and ended up at Macy’s European Coffee House and Vegetarian Cafe in Flagstaff, AZ where I discovered the amazingness of Granola with warm, frothed soy milk! Incredible!
Have been looking to recreate this goodness and am happy for the timing of your granola post!
Cheers!
Jen (the one who cycled from Toronto to your market stand this summer!!! Thanks again for the treats!)

Jenn (GH) January 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Nothing like granola for Valentines day! That was funny! He he!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Granola is my kryptonite!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella January 4, 2011 at 2:06 pm

The recipe looks great! I love granola, and I love making it. I’ll be sure to try this!

Sarah R January 4, 2011 at 2:06 pm

The last time I baked granola, my husband told me I should sell the smell to a candle company

Becky January 4, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Good to know it COULD last for a month if stored properly – but homemade granola never last more than a few days at my house! ☺

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) January 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Looks delicious! :) I love that my eyes went straight for the dark brown sugar too haha. I love how well it sticks together!

Happy New Year!

Howard of Seattle January 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Hello Angela. I was reading your blog today and got very hungry reading about your granola. A couple of questions…

1. What is the serving size for your granola?
2. What is the nutritional profile per serving?
3. How critical is the brown sugar? Can I eliminate that from the recipe? (I try to avoid sugar)
4. Any suggestions for making your granola lower calorie?

I am someone who lost over 131 lbs; hence I really watch what I eat. Your answers to the above question is appreciated.

Thanks, Howard

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Hi Howard,
I’m afraid that I do not know the nutritional info, but you can calculate it for free at http://nutritiondata.self.com/ website. granola is quite energy dense thanks to the nuts, so it should be enjoyed in moderation.
Generally granola serving is 1/2 cup, but it varies widely. I’m not sure how it would taste with less brown sugar as it is not overly sweet as it stands.
One idea I have is that you could reduce the sugar in the recipe, and then sprinkle your own on before serving. This would give you a bit more control, but I cant promise it will turn out as tasty!
Best of luck! Angela

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I saw your tweet about the snow earlier and got a little giggle bec I remembered your post yesterday. And granola has got to have the clump factor. Love the clumps!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 4, 2011 at 2:24 pm

This sounds (and looks) heavenly!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm

it seems so obvious now, but i never thought to heat the wet ingredients before mixing them in the oats/nuts! over christmas i moade some with PB for the first time and fell inlove.

great addition with the applesauce – granola one of thise where i am always looking for ways to cut back on the sugar. :)

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Yum! I recently started making my own granola every week instead of buying it at the store and this looks great. I will definitely have to give your recipe a try :)

Lisa @Thrive Style January 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I love making granola…and usually tweak each batch a little bit! Yours looks super fabulous—I usually make one that has goji berries and acai pulp in it, and that’s pretty amazing too!

~Lisa

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm

PB, Coconut Oil, Agave, Brown Rice, Brown Sugar…omg those are some of my fave things in all of life. There is no way this granola couldnt be amazing with all that included!

I think I could just drink that :)

Great work, Angela!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 4, 2011 at 2:51 pm

That granola looks PERFECT! and if it’s your favorite to date, it must be good! You would know good granola afterall. :P

Nichole January 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I have never made granola either but this is so delicious looking. I really love granola and I am sure it is so much better homemade.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm

That looks so good. I can almost taste and smell it from the pictures

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm

i’ve never had granola with peanut butter in it before…i’m thinking i need to hit that up ASAP!

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Mmmm, I’ve never made my own granola! But I should after seeing this! :)

Laura @ Backstage Pass January 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm

This looks fantastic! I do love warm granola, fresh from the oven with ice cold almond milk. So wholesome and nutritious, yet decadent!
My boyfriend pretty much melted the last time I made granola. I will have to give your recipe a try soon! Perhaps it would make a lovely homemade Valentine’s Day gift for him? :-)

Katy @ A Healthy Shot January 4, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Everytime I read your blog it’s like you read my mind… I was planning to make granola tonight! I can’t resist the bites straight out of the oven either :)

Jillian @Funny ( allergen-free) Girl January 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Hey Angela! Love the recipe! About how much of the Flax, and coconut did you add in there? Also would you mind if I adapted this to fit the needs of my site ( gluten, soy, dairy, corn, an nut free) and posted it there? Promise to give you credit and link back?! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Of course you can share!
I used 2 tbsp ground flax and 2 tbsp coconut flakes :)

Kelly January 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I haven’t made granola in sooo long! This post definitely made me want to try your version. :)

Cathy Breit January 4, 2011 at 3:56 pm

yum! I’m always on the lookout for good granola recipes…this looks wonderful.
love,
cathy b. @ brightbakes

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I love homemade granola! It’s possibly my most favorite treat to make!

Freya January 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm

What a fantastic and simple gift idea! I’m a big fan of the no-fail edible gifts!

Picky Nicky January 4, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I bet it does smell amazing! I think if I made it, I would add the hemp seeds to the mixture before baking.

Marie-Journey to Body Zen January 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I love the jar + ribbon! Super cute :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 4, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I am drooling over here…

I have slowed down on my granola making, since I eat all of it in one day :| Its easy to much on, what can I say ;)

I usually sneak a little chocolate chips into mine to keep it interesting!

The snow is just starting here in Van, and I am so excited!

xxoo

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh January 4, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I LOVE your powerhouse granola, I couldn’t have imagined it getting ANY better!! Can’t wait to try this =]

Aleesha January 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I was just saying to my boyfriend (He of the “Garbanzo” nickname, hahaha) that we need to make some granola! He loves granola but has never made it from scratch… sounds like this recipe is now on our to-do list. And BTW, if he made me granola for Valentine’s Day I would fall even more in love. Granted, he did buy me the CUTEST apron (brown with pink polka dots!) for Christmas, so he’s already a keeper. ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Oh those nicknames toy with my heart ;)
Your apron sounds alot like the new one my sis got me for Xmas…
Is it like this one? http://ohsheglows.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/IMG_45081.jpg

Mandy January 4, 2011 at 5:16 pm

That looks so yummy! I’m usually lazy and buy granola, but you’ve given me faith in doing it myself!

jenny eats nutella from a spoon January 4, 2011 at 5:19 pm

looks beautiful! reminds me how the first thing i ever “cooked” after moving out of home was homemade granola!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 4, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Mmmm…I have everything to make this with, granola time!

Andrea January 4, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Beautiful! I’ve never had luck with homemade granola but it might be time to give it another go. I think it would make a lovely gift indeed!

Shanna January 4, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Yum! How can you go wrong with granola when it’s just so darn good, nutritious, and delicious?

Thanks for sharing another great recipe!

Whitney @ Blooming Significance January 4, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Oh how yummy!!! I have never thought to make my own granola. What a great idea! Plus, it would be a great gift idea as well :)

Happy New Year!

Corey @ The Runner's Cookie January 4, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I’m so jealous of the clumps!! I guess I will need to buy brown rice syrup?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I do think BRS has something to do with clumping. In my old Glonola recipe I used a lot of BRS and I had TONS of clumps- too many though and it was much too hard. I need to find that perfect balance!
Next time I will use 4 tbsp instead of 3 I think :)

Camille January 4, 2011 at 6:17 pm

That looks incredible!
Unfortunately I am not allowed to make homemade granola in my house because that is one food that I have no control around. I could eat a whole batch and be sick for a week. Throw some granola in front of me and my willpower goes out the window!

Liza Jane January 4, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I love that “shove into mouth” is included in the recipe. Now I can say I’m just following directions :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm

haha yes indeed! Ihad to throw that in there b/c I can’t imagine not testing it!

emma January 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Hahaa! I actually did make granola for my boyfriend last Valentines day! :-) Yours looks amazing so I may have to surprise him with some this year too! Great work. I can’t wait to try this x x

Kaitlin January 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Yum! Angela, your photos look more gorgeous every day! I love the brown sugar one. Can’t wait to try out this recipe!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I think this is going to be my weekend project! I actually just bought a new bag of rolled oats to use to make homemade granola. It’s fate! ;)

Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good January 4, 2011 at 7:05 pm

That looks SO good! I like how you pretty it up with the ribbon, too. :)

Paige @Running Around Normal January 4, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Gosh I need to make some granola stat!! I usually always have it around for the winter – but haven’t made any in MONTHS!

Kasey January 4, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Wow! That looks so good. I am now inspired to make granola :)
Thanks for sharing!

stacey-healthylife January 4, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I love the colors, that looks amazing.

Sabina January 4, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Mmmm!

I make my own granola too! For wet, I use a combination of maple syrup and applesauce (higher ratio of applesauce). I never thought of coconut oil!

Why do you not add the pepitas with the dry ingredients and then bake them?

Also, where do you get those AWESOME bell jars? (I’m located in Toronto). I’ll feel sheepish if you say… Canadian Tire. ;-)

[email protected] January 4, 2011 at 8:19 pm

oh my goodness!!1 That granola looks divine!!!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed January 4, 2011 at 8:59 pm

This looks delicious!! Great recipe. I love the valentines idea too – thanks for looking out for us :)
Heidi xo

Embodying Freedom January 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Looks awesome–also I meant to congratulate you earlier on reaching over 1.1 million views on your blog! You’re a success (as if you weren’t before!)!

Hannah January 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm

This looks fabulous, and I fully intend to make it, but I don’t think my heart will ever stop giving first place to a granola I made (and posted on my blog), which was intensely flavoured and dark with spices, dried figs, and blackstrap molasses… Oh, now I’m craving both mine and yours!!

Mona G. March 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Hi Hannah,
Would you share your granola recipe with us also ? Can it be made into granola bars, and would the ingredients be the same and the cooking time too ? Would love to have it…..I think I will try Angela’s recipe too, but I’d like to make it in bars, so we could take and eat them on the go…..has anyone on here tried this recipe and made the bars ?

Donna January 4, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I am so happy to have found your blog Angela!
I’m loving all the recipes and that you are canadian too so i don’t have to be worry about not finding half the products
Can i ask where you find your nutritional (brewers) yeast? I looked at whole foods in oakville the other day (its about 50 minutes away from me) and i couldn’t find any, sigh
Thanks again for all you share!
Donna :o)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Hey Donna! Gosh I am surprised that Whole Foods doesn’t have nutritional yeast.
I purchase many of my products from Ontario Natural Food Coop http://www.onfc.ca/ I believe they have a buying club even for the public! Check them out.

Jes (Self Motivation) January 4, 2011 at 9:49 pm

That granola looks DELICIOUS!!!!

Alycia [Fit n Fresh] January 4, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Seriously good! Is there anything else you could use in place of brown rice syrup? I never seem to be able to find it! :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Honey would work Im sure!

GFree_Miel January 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Yum! It looks delicious! I can’t wait to try this.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 4, 2011 at 10:21 pm

That sounds amazing!! I’ve never made homemade granola before but it’s on my list!

Faith @ lovelyascharged January 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Haha, I love the brown sugar sandcastles too whenever I bake!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 11:30 pm

brown sugar sandcastles….I think that is my favourite analogy ever!

Camille @ La Bella Vita January 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Looks so beautiful and delicious!

The Healthy Hostess January 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Can’t wait to try this!

carlee January 4, 2011 at 10:52 pm

This recipe looks awesome! I have been looking for a good granola recipe! I think this is the one! I mean it has peanut butter and more and more nuts! and its healthy! Can’t get much better!
Do you even have a clue how many calories per serving?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 11:29 pm

No Im sorry I have no clue!

Joanie January 4, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Oh, yum!! That looks really good! I’m going to have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) January 4, 2011 at 11:17 pm

This looks SO delicious!
Would I still get the clumps if I used maple syrup?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I dont think so…I used maple syrup in my prior recipe and there weren’t any clumps. Such a shame!

Leanne @healthfulpursuit January 4, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Such a beautiful presentation, placing the granola in the jar!

Thank you for reminding me how much I love homemade granola. To make it gluten free I replace the oats with quinoa or rice flakes. It’s not as tasty as the ‘real’ thing, but it’s pretty darn close!

Thanks again for another awesome one!

Kat January 5, 2011 at 12:02 am

I love homemade granola its so much better than store-bought

Beatrix January 5, 2011 at 12:05 am

Hmm…homemade granola…so tasty over some non-fat vanilla yogurt.

Jennifer January 5, 2011 at 12:07 am

mmm your granola sounds awesome!!! I this I will make some this weekend! and i love the “print recipe” button you have!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 5, 2011 at 12:21 am

I want to make this… although I will probably eat it all in one day :)

Lana January 5, 2011 at 12:30 am

I just made these and they are amazing!!! Check ’em out: anotherhealthyhabit.com!

Laura @ Starloz January 5, 2011 at 3:14 am

angela, holy yums.

Adeline January 5, 2011 at 5:08 am

I’m eating homemade olive oil granola as we speak! (From that NYT recipe, although I reduced the sugar it was still extremely sweet)

This granola looks delicious, I’ll try making it this weekend! I love toasted, crunchy and not overly sweet granola!

Leia January 5, 2011 at 5:14 am

I’ve never made my own granola! TOTALLY going to try this. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Today I made sundried tomato pesto: http://www.leiasdelights.com/2011/01/sun-dried-tomato-pesto.html :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes January 5, 2011 at 5:25 am

yum yum yum! That looks so good!

Lou January 5, 2011 at 6:05 am

that looks so good.. and colouful! i’ve never made granola… only tried it in healthy bars once actually. can’t wait to try it! and its healthy too! :D

Tessa January 5, 2011 at 6:58 am

One day, one day Angela I will bake as much as you do. My dream! If only I had more hours in the day. You inspire me

Marina January 5, 2011 at 7:17 am

I love making my own granola! I’ll definitely make this recipe this week, with maple syrup/honey mix instead of brown syrup. I hope it will clump :D

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 5, 2011 at 8:26 am

I’ve made homemade granola a few times, but yours looks like it would be even better! Also, I love how it makes six cups. The other recipes that I’ve made only make like 2 cups – they disappeared waaaaaaaay to quickly! :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 5, 2011 at 8:26 am

LisaG January 5, 2011 at 9:18 am

I’ve never made homemade granola. You have inspired me to do so. Looks tasty; wish I could reach through the screen!

Ashley January 5, 2011 at 9:43 am

That looks amazing and way better than store bought.

Ashley @ the fit academic January 5, 2011 at 10:22 am

homemade granola is the BEST! I love doing homemade granola bars, too! Yum!

Mimi January 5, 2011 at 11:00 am

i love making granola, too. In fact, I plan on making small jars for favors at my wedding! Wheee!

I’ve never seen a technique of bringing the liquid elements to a simmer. I bet that really helps blend the favors. Yum!

Melinda January 5, 2011 at 11:00 am

I love all the colors in this granola!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite January 5, 2011 at 11:31 am

Beautiful! I love using glass jars to pretty-up just about anything! Everything seems more special in them :) I also do agree with the perfect brown sugar – I never want to mix it because it’s so beautifully molded!

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 5, 2011 at 11:53 am

oh my gosh angela, that looks amazing! i was literally just sitting here about to go grab a snack when i saw this post…now i am craving granola! definitely making this soon :)
london has also been snowy recently – only it’s much less beautiful than yours!

Roz January 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

Oh my goodness, that looks SOOO good. I bet it tastes better than the “bought” stuff!!! Love the photos as always too!! Have a great day, enjoy the granola!!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella January 5, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I just made this (well, it’s baking now) and I had a really hard time incorporating the liquid into the dry. I made a few subs (canola instead of coconut oil and since I didn’t have any applesauce, I made up for it by using 2 tbsp of agave and 3 tbsp of PB), maybe that’s why? Or maybe I’m just a lazy stirrer! The raw granola still tasted delicious, though!

Christine (The Raw Project) January 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Gorgeous snow pics! And the granola looks amazing, beautiful pictures! Thanks!

Heather January 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Wow your granola looks fabulous!! You always package so pretty! Do you have the nutritional stats on the granola?

Thank you!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit January 5, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Thanks, Angela! I have been on the hunt for a granola recipe and this one looks fantastic and easy to make…yum!

Amber K January 5, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I love brown sugar for exactly that reason! ;)

Ali @ Around The VeggieTable January 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm

This looks absolutely heavenly! Thank you for sharing :)

May Cookie Co. January 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm

YUM! I love making and eating granola. This recipe sounds awesome and full of protein and other good stuff. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I’ll be making it this weekend!!

Laura January 9, 2011 at 8:48 pm

made this today – SO GOOD! used 4 Tbsp brown rice syrup and it was clumpy enough for me. thank you! can’t wait to share this with my friends on our trip to mammoth next weekend!

Denise January 11, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I made the granola this afternoon. I added the extra tablespoon of brown rice syrup. I also cooked it five minutes later and I had actually started stirring it more times then the recipe called for because I got confused and didn’t realize it said every 10-15 minutes.

It turned out GREAT. My 14 and 10 year old boys kept coming back for more. Granted they picked through the cranberries and raisins but still………………..

Denise January 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm

OH, and I didn’t put the dry ingredients in a bowl. I put them in a 9×13 inch pyrex dish and then poured the wet ingredients on top of it. I think it probably made it easier to stir and mix to make sure everything was coated well.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2011 at 9:26 am

so glad you enjoyed it!

Stefan April 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Wow! I just made granola for the first time using your recipe as a template…amazing :) I will never buy granola from the store again!!

sharon June 19, 2012 at 4:12 pm

this is SO good! it’s baking right now, but i must have eaten a quarter cup before it got there. ;)

changes i made:
five tablespoons of honey instead of brs/agave
peanut oil instead of coconut
a half cup each of walnuts, pecans, and hazelnuts
no seeds
pumpkin instead of applesauce
more cinnamon and nutmeg, as well as some cloves and ginger

i’ll add dried cranberries and sunflower/chia seeds separately when it gets out.

it’s smelling up the house now. :D thank you!!!

Andrea July 5, 2012 at 11:36 am

Hey Angela, just curious, why do you suggest keeping the granola refrigerated? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I’m really not sure why I said that to be honest! haha. I usually don’t refrigerate my granola…strange!

Andrea July 5, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Haha that’s too funny :) Thanks for the response!

Jessica V. July 16, 2012 at 11:02 am

I simply love your granola recipes. I’ve done it multiple times along with several variations but not this particular one which I’m dying to try. This morning I made one with only using Agave nectar for the wet ingredient; I’ve used the maple syrup in the past and found that both actually work the same. However, this time around I used non-stick sprayed foil paper instead of the wax paper for cooking and I found that the granola burns more easily in addition to not being crunchy all the way through. Should I just stick to the wax paper?

Also I been very curious to know where do you find your mason jars for storage

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I usually get the jars from Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart :)
I use parchment paper for my baking and it tends to work fine. If wax paper works for you, I say stick with that.

Jessica V. July 16, 2012 at 12:25 pm

WOW…I would never have thought of Wal-Mart…I was thinking more of antique shops or vintage trinket shops. But this may be even better and more economical…Great! Thanks for the advice.

Raffi Darrow August 2, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I’ve made a lot of granola, but I always pull up this recipe now and make the same adjustments:
I swap the applesauce for 1/2 mushy banana. I swap the coconut oil for olive oil. I swap the brown rice syrup for 2 TB agave and 2 TB maple syrup. I only added almonds and raisins to the dry oats, and 1/2 tsp ginger.
Sometimes I munch on it plain. Sometimes I mix it with 1/2 C yogurt and a few blueberries for breakfast.
This IS SO YUMMY!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012 at 7:33 pm

So glad you love it! Great subs.

Alison September 3, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Angela,
I made your granola today and followed the instructions exactly and my granola came out burnt around the edges and also burnt in some places on the bottom of the granola? Did that ever happen to you?
i stirred every 10-15 minutes as suggested, do you think i should cut my cooking time down from 45 minutes next time?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Hey Alison, I’m sorry your granola burned! I find it can quickly go from good to bad when it comes to granola. Do you have an oven themometre? Sometimes if it’s off it can cause this result. I would suggest baking it at a lower temp and reduce the time. I made a batch of granola recently and I baked it at 275-300F and had no issues of it burning quickly. Best of luck!

Alison September 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm

i will try 275 degrees the next time, thanks for the info!
where do you put your shelf in your oven? on the top or middle? maybe that affected mine as well?

thanks again!

Rebecca November 24, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Hi Angela,
Love this recipe and have made it a few times and given it as gifts. For Christmas this year, I’d love to send/mail some to my family. Since you suggest keeping the granola cold in the fridge for up to one month, is there anything specific you would recommend about shipping it? Shipping food always make me a little nervous, and I definitely want my family to enjoy the yumminess of your recipe. Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated!
Thanks very much!

Karen January 22, 2013 at 7:12 pm

What could you use in place of brown sugar? Sugar free household over here.

Jessica Lucra January 25, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I absolutely love your recipes, thank you so much! I have been trying to find a homemade granola recipe but I want it to be plain (no nuts, fruit, etc) to be used in parfaits. Would your granola recipe work if I just omitted the seeds/almonds/etc. or would I need to adjust the amount of other ingredients such as the agave, peanut butter, apple sauce, etc? I hope that makes sense to you. :)

Laura February 19, 2013 at 12:00 am

This is the BEST granola I have ever tasted, so much better than store bought brands. You make being vegan/plant-based so much more joyful. I replaced the brown rice syrup and the agave (personal reasons) with organic maple syrup and it turned out the perfect texture.

Leah March 3, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I left out the cinnamon and nutmeg and added a heaping spoonful of cocoa to the wet ingredients. OMG good and no less healthy. The kids will think I’ve lost my mind when they get to eat it for breakfast!

Mandi November 3, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Hi love, Mandi from Downunder (Australia -that is…) I love your recipes amd blog!!!! I’m a very new vegan and have diabetes 2 so I’m just interested, do you have a carb count for a serve of your granola??? I loooove crunchy sweet breakfast cereals but never eat them due to high carb load….so I’d love to make your granola and try it…I’ve just finished eating my first breakfast parfait and love it!!!’ I’m also happy to say I had a pleasant small rise in y blood sugar after a decent size serve so I’m thrilled…thanks for your generosity of spirit and creative genius! Love from Oz – PS taking my iPad to show my vegan friends your blog!!!

Lizzie November 26, 2013 at 5:14 am

This granola is a GAME CHANGER! Just pulled it out of the oven… smells like Christmas! B-b-b-bring it! Cheers Angela – you kick some serious goals!

Mona G. March 6, 2014 at 1:17 pm

This granola sounds wonderful…..will have to try it, but would rather make it into bars….can you do this ,with this recipe and make it the same way ?Could someone let me know if they have tried this recipe for granola bars too ?
Just found your blog Angela and right away I loved it…..could be also because my daughter is named Angela also and we live in the south…..but I have a dear friend who lives in Canada also :) Will let her know about your blog too…..

Mona G. March 6, 2014 at 1:19 pm

BTW ANGELA, WHERE DO I SIGN UP FOR YOUR BLOG ? I DO NOT SEE A PLACE HERE…..

Zoe March 17, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Hello! Just made this recipe this afternoon and I am so happy! Granola is so fun to make because you can throw anything you want into there… Instead of sesame seeds, I put hemp hearts and I also put dry blueberries in it as well! Thanks so much so for the amazing recipe Angela! Your blog never lets me down! :)

Kathy March 23, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Just put this in the oven and can’t wait to try it! I did take a little taste before putting it in and awesome tasting, I am sure it is gonna taste even better cooked. First time making granola. I buy it for hubby and it is expensive so I thought I would give tis a try.

kika August 25, 2014 at 9:27 pm

hi, are there any substitutes for the next ingredients, where I live is imposible to find them.

brown rice syrup
applesauce
peanut butter

thank you can’t wait to make it looks delicious!!

Lyndsey September 29, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Hi Angela,
I have been a big fan of yours for years. I make many of your blog & Instagram recipes on a regular basis but I just made the granola recipe from your cookbook!
OMG it is to die for and will likely change my life! Even my husband who is a skeptic of homemade versions of items like this is eating it in fistfuls! Thanks so much!
Keep up all your amazing work and good luck with the bambino.
Lyndsey

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Thanks Lyndsey, so glad you guys are enjoying the recipes.

Katie October 13, 2014 at 9:18 am

Angela – I made a quadruple batch of this as gifts for my baby shower, like you did! I ended up with about 34 cups of granola. I simplified the nuts and fruit, using just almonds, cranberries, and raisins (plus the coconut and flaxseed in the recipe). Added a little more brown rice syrup like you suggested and got plenty of great clumps. Thanks for a great recipe and a great gift idea!

Sunnie November 18, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Hi Angela,

I don’t have brown sugar on hand. Could I substitute coconut sugar? Kind of looks the same! Not sure if it will work…

Roberta Appel July 12, 2015 at 8:13 pm

I made this today and although I changed it up a bit with what I had available, it was still very delicious!! I used coconut nectar instead of rice syrup and some Yacon syrup and it turned out to be fantastic… The beet smoothies are a fabulous hit too!! Never thought I’d like them but loving them every day !!! Thanks love your website

Molly G November 28, 2015 at 6:45 am

Loved this! We couldn’t stop eating it. And we loved the larger clumps. Yummy!!!!

Kristen December 2, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I am baking my own granola for the first time as I type this. :) I wonder if this was already asked, but is there a reason the dried fruit needs to go in after baking/cooling? I accidentally added mine in with everything else, but it seems to be fine so far. Also, I am baking in a Pyrex casserole dish and am hoping that the glass doesn’t affect the crispness!

Ashley Lynn February 18, 2016 at 1:07 pm

I don’t have any applesauce on hand. Is there a good substitute that you know of?

Erin April 10, 2016 at 12:09 pm

I LOVE This granola and make it once a month to have as breakfast/snack. I love how it’s not too sweet and it’s so much cheaper to make it versus buying organic granola at the grocery store- seriously so overpriced compared to this recipe!. One trick I learned when making it is I don’t stir the granola while its cooking. I find if I pack it down in the pan prior to baking and just leave it be in the oven, it clumps so much better and I can use less brown rice syrup.

Angela Liddon April 11, 2016 at 9:55 am

Thanks for the tip, Erin!! It’s great to hear you enjoy the recipe so much. :)

Penny July 21, 2016 at 3:51 pm

I made a batch and loved it. I added hemp seed hearts and wheat germ as well. For dried fruit, I added cranberries, apricots, dates. Yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Roxanne Cloutier-Peace August 7, 2016 at 1:20 pm

My granola burnt after less than 15 minutes at 300f. Is there something I missed or could be doing wrong?

Jessica August 20, 2016 at 8:47 pm

First time making this granola! I could see how this is a very tasty recipe and I really liked it but 45 degrees at 300 overcooked my granola, and almost burned. I had the baking sheet in the lower third of the oven and turned it with a spatula every 15 min. I’m in CA and weather is dryer and hot here not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thanks for recipe!

Terri November 26, 2016 at 7:04 am

Can you sub coconut sugar for the brown sugar?

Hawley April 20, 2017 at 9:29 am

Hi Angela! I have been following you since 2011, when I went vegan for the first time (and I was vegan for about 4 years but living in the South, I’m basically vegan at home and vegetarian when out because it’s easier and more socially adaptable here…). Anywho, I’ve recommended you and your site to probably hundreds of people since, literally. I have never made one of your recipes and not enjoyed it, and many of them simply BLOW my mind. Your chocolate chip cookies with roasted nuts in them are the best cookies I’ve ever had and anytime I make them for others, they are SHOCKED that they are vegan, muchless so incredible; and then they ask for the recipe, too. ;) Anywho, I am making this granola for the SECOND time in less than a week. And both times I have doubled the recipe! But our family adores it, and it’s so nice to be able to share with others. It is for sure a family staple now. I simply wanted to thank you and make sure you heard from me, to know how deeply grateful I am to you for helping me to make my family not just eat BETTER in terms of nutrition and health, but also taste! You’re amazing. I’m grateful for you, and thank you for this recipe and so many others. Yay for you!

Hawley April 20, 2017 at 9:31 am

Oh! And I used to use Brown Rice Syrup a few years ago when making this but lately have been using maple syrup instead and it’s brilliant! Both work terrifically, but maple syrup is something I use more frequently so it’s easier to keep stocked in my pantry. ;) And I must confess I just ADORE maple syrup. Ha!

Hawley April 20, 2017 at 9:32 am

oh and sometimes I switch out the nuts, like this latest batch has cashews instead of almonds! Yum!

Angela Liddon April 26, 2017 at 10:42 am

Hey Hawley, I can’t thank you enough for your super kind note and support for all things OSG! I’m so thrilled to hear how much you enjoy the recipes. And thank you so much for spreading the word too! =)

Aiden August 12, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Hey!

I’m making this granola (in the oven as we speak) and it was really bizarre – I was expecting the wet mix to be thick and difficult to stir like you suggested, but it almost hardened and was almost impossible to get everything coated. I wound up adding an extra tablespoon of coconut oil to make sure everything was moist.

Do you have any idea why this might have happened? I’m hoping it still turns out okay but I’ve never had this experience with granola before. I wonder if I over-reduced the wet mix? I did 7 minutes of simmering.

Thanks,

Aiden

Angela Liddon August 17, 2017 at 11:36 am

Hey Aiden, Oh I’m so sorry you had trouble with coating the granola! Hmm, I’m wondering if your peanut butter was on the dry side? If so, that could be the culprit. Also, like you suggested, perhaps the mixed was cooked down too long? One more thought is whether your dry ingredients were cold for some reason. If they were it could cause the wet mixture to harden maybe? I hope if you try it again you have more success (or better yet, try out the granola recipes in my books…they are my absolute favourite granola recipes to date!) Happy baking.

Mary Jakubczak October 29, 2017 at 3:59 pm

I’ve had it on cottage cheese and it was fantastic. Substituted brown rice syrup with honey and it worked well!