My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

IMG 8273b thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

IMG 9212 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I think Mother Nature was reading my blog post yesterday and decided to play a trick on me.

I woke up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning. It is gorgeous out there right now! No more grass for this town.

IMG 9211 2 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Eric has been asking me to make homemade granola for a few weeks now, and I finally got around to it. I always forget how much I love making granola.

IMG 8258 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

The smell of the fresh granola coming out of the oven is intoxicating, as I sneak bites knowing full well that I am going to burn my tongue, but it tastes too good to wait for it to cool.

And that first bowl of granola with almond milk poured over top…well nothing beats it.

IMG 8282 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I’ve made Power House Glonola before, but I wanted to improve upon the recipe and see what I could come up with. I doubt I will ever make the same recipe twice!

IMG 8269 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

The first thing you do is gather your wet ingredients…

IMG 8205b thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I always admire my brown sugar when it comes out of the measuring cup like that!

IMG 8208 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Stir well in a saucepan.

IMG 8210 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Heat over medium.

IMG 8211 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently.

While the wet mixture is simmering, grab your dry ingredients.

IMG 8202 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

For the nuts and seeds, I used 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup sesame seeds, 1/2 cup walnuts, and 1 cup of almonds. All raw. I roughly chopped the walnuts and almonds, but you still want mostly large pieces.

Oats, sweetened coconut flakes, kosher salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground flax.

IMG 8213 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Mix all of the dry ingredients together…

IMG 8216 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. It will be very thick and sticky, but keep at it until it is thoroughly mixed. You can do this!

IMG 8218 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Now we’re talking!

IMG 8219 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Grab a spoon and shove into mouth.

That is some good granola.

Spread onto a baking sheet…

IMG 8220 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Bake for 45 minutes at 300F, stirring every 10-15 minutes to ensure even baking.

Voila!

IMG 8253 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

As the granola cools it will firm up. The result is a crisp granola, but the clumps did not hold together. Next time, I will add another tablespoon of brown rice syrup in hopes of increasing the clump factor!

Allow to cool for about 30 minutes.

Now stir in your dried fruit. I added 1/3 cup raisins and 1/3 cup dried cranberries. I also decided to toss in some pepita seeds for colour.

IMG 8258 thumb1   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Lovely.

Just lovely.

IMG 8260 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Grab a 2 litre bell jar.

IMG 8235 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

That’ll do.

IMG 8237 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

It fits perfectly!

IMG 8267 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!) IMG 8264 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

This granola makes a wonderful gift too. Valentine’s Day, perhaps? Maybe there are some men reading whose girlfriends/wives would like some…

That would be so romantic, wouldn’t it?

IMG 8273 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I’m here for you girls.

Now pour yourself a bowl and enjoy with some of your favourite milk. I love it with Vanilla Almond Milk and a tablespoon of hemp seeds tossed in for some protein.

IMG 8279 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

It is just the perfect winter breakfast.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 4, 2011

this looks delicious! i love the color detail in all the photos, i haven’t made granola in soo long.. might have to change that :)

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 4, 2011

That looks SO GOOD! I’ve never made granola before…maybe it’s time to start ;)

Halley (Blunder Construction) January 4, 2011

I recently found out I have a nut allergy, so I’ve veered away from granola in general. I guess I could just boost up the berries/seeds in the recipe. Any other suggestions on what else could replace the nuts in this recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

hmmm…What about puffed cereal or a gluten free cereal from nature’s path?

Halley (Blunder Construction) January 5, 2011

Of course, puffed cereal would be a perfect substitute. Just looking for that crunch- THANKS

Lisa January 4, 2011

Yummy Yummy Yummy!! Your blog posts just brighten up my day! :)

Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 4, 2011

You make it look so easy! There’s more ingredients than I would have imagined in there, but they’re all so tasty!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 4, 2011

I LOVE making granola too! It’s so soothing and rewarding. Have you tried making it with mashed banana or applesauce yet for nice clumps?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

I used applesauce in this one, but only 2 tbsp. I used 1/2 cup in a previous trial and it was much too wet and wouldnt crisp up. Any ideas?

thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 4, 2011

Oops I missed that, haha! 2 tbsp is too little for the clump effect I think, yes. I once dumped 50 grams of applesauce (prob also ½ cup) and it DID crisp up (I let it firm up in the fridge for 2 hours after baking), but it sortof got ranchid after storing! I couldn’t quite pinpoint it, it just smelled a bit off. Maybe somewhere in between we might find the answer ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

hmm that is interesting…Im going to add to my recipe to store it in the fridge just in case.

Blog is the New Black January 4, 2011

Your recipe sounds great, but I love just looking at your recipes. Beautiful, like always!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 4, 2011

nom nom. granola is one of my favorite things to bake – smells so so good! i made 18 cups of ‘christmas crunch granola’ for holiday gifts this year :)

Kelly January 4, 2011

I love granola but my problem is once I start I can’t stop. That 6 cup recipe would be gone in one day. As much as I love it I have found that it is best for me to not have it in the house. Sad, huh? But at least I know that much about myself. One day I hope to have a better relationship with granola as it is the only food that tempts my self control. But yours looks amazing…I can only imagine how fabulous it must taste!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 4, 2011

I LOVE granola! I can just munch away happily for hours! Must try this!
And this WOULD be a great present! Thanks for the idea Angela :)

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 4, 2011

The pictures of setting out and combining the ingredients are so beautiful. I’ve never made granola, but this definitely makes me want to try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

thanks hun!

Lauren January 4, 2011

I love clumpy granola! My boyfriend’s mom made a ton a few weeks ago with me in mind. It’s so good.

kristy @ kristyruns.com January 4, 2011

I love that you added peanut butter to the mix! And can you please send some of that snow to Georgia please? :)

Lana January 4, 2011

I would absolutely love it if someone made me granola!!!
p.s. was that a hint to Eric!! lol

Emily January 4, 2011

That granola looks so pretty! I know, pretty granola, wierd, but so true :) I think I will be making some of this for my ski trip in a couple weeks. Is there any substitute for brown rice syrup??

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 4, 2011

I LOVE homemade granola! Your recipe sounds fantastic – I will definitely try it within the week!

Lindsay McAlester January 4, 2011

Cue…large amounts of drool! Looks fab! Can’t wait to make it!

Lizzie January 4, 2011

Wow – I actually have all the ingredients for this except the applesauce and brown rice syrup. And suggestions for sub to the syrup? More agave?

This looks so good! I bet it would be yummy with a big dollop of natural yogurt too.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 4, 2011

I absolutely LOVED your Powerhouse Glonola and I bet this is just as good!! I love all the photos – so fresh and colourful!

Candy (Healthy in Candy Land) January 4, 2011

I have a favorite granola recipe too, but your beautiful photos and awesome ingredient list makes me definitely want to try yours! The only thing I would need to alter is the coconut oil. Can you recommend a substitute? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

I think any light tasting oil would work…!

Kathryn January 4, 2011

LOVING the color in this one! So pretty! My husband has been on a granola kick lately (I love, LOVE, it when he eats healthy), maybe I’ll make him some home made to keep him going!

Happy New Year to you Angela!

Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 4, 2011

I think I’ll make this as a gift for my mom’s birthday coming up next week! Thanks for the great recipe Angela!

Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 4, 2011

PS. If I only have unsweetened coconut, is there a specific amount of sugar or something else I should add in to make up for the sweetness? I don’t looooove coconut so I’d rather not go buy another bag!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! January 4, 2011

This sounds delicious and especially comforting on a cold, winter day like this one!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 4, 2011

What a beautiful gift idea! I love the packaging!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman January 4, 2011

Oh yum. I’d probably leave out the raisins and cranberries because I hate those in granola, but the rest looks so good!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 4, 2011

I actually have all the ingredients on hand right now- that NEVER happens!! My boyfriend just broke his collarbone and I feel like he’d LOVE some of this :)

Healthy Chocoholic January 4, 2011

That looks fabulous!!!!
I’ve never actually made my own granola, but I loooove it!!!!

Jess@atasteofconfidence January 4, 2011

Looks delicious!

Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) January 4, 2011

So, so pretty. I’ve been wanting to make homemade granola for a while now and haven’t gotten around to it. This might be the time, though, because this recipe sounds awesome.

Allison @ Food For Healing January 4, 2011

i’ve been craving granola lately, i might have to make this asap seriously, it would taste so good as a snack after the gym or at work especially with hemp seeds mixed in! I just bought a huge thing of hemp hearts yesterday haha

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 4, 2011

I’m definitely going to have to forward this onto my mom! She’s been looking for a good granola recipe. I love how you put all the ingredients out with their labels! Its such a great visual.

Jen January 4, 2011

Hi Angela!
Thanks for the recipe!
I was traveling in America during the holidays and ended up at Macy’s European Coffee House and Vegetarian Cafe in Flagstaff, AZ where I discovered the amazingness of Granola with warm, frothed soy milk! Incredible!
Have been looking to recreate this goodness and am happy for the timing of your granola post!
Cheers!
Jen (the one who cycled from Toronto to your market stand this summer!!! Thanks again for the treats!)

Jenn (GH) January 4, 2011

Nothing like granola for Valentines day! That was funny! He he!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 4, 2011

Granola is my kryptonite!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella January 4, 2011

The recipe looks great! I love granola, and I love making it. I’ll be sure to try this!

Sarah R January 4, 2011

The last time I baked granola, my husband told me I should sell the smell to a candle company

Becky January 4, 2011

Good to know it COULD last for a month if stored properly – but homemade granola never last more than a few days at my house! ☺

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) January 4, 2011

Looks delicious! :) I love that my eyes went straight for the dark brown sugar too haha. I love how well it sticks together!

Happy New Year!

Howard of Seattle January 4, 2011

Hello Angela. I was reading your blog today and got very hungry reading about your granola. A couple of questions…

1. What is the serving size for your granola?
2. What is the nutritional profile per serving?
3. How critical is the brown sugar? Can I eliminate that from the recipe? (I try to avoid sugar)
4. Any suggestions for making your granola lower calorie?

I am someone who lost over 131 lbs; hence I really watch what I eat. Your answers to the above question is appreciated.

Thanks, Howard

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

Hi Howard,
I’m afraid that I do not know the nutritional info, but you can calculate it for free at http://nutritiondata.self.com/ website. granola is quite energy dense thanks to the nuts, so it should be enjoyed in moderation.
Generally granola serving is 1/2 cup, but it varies widely. I’m not sure how it would taste with less brown sugar as it is not overly sweet as it stands.
One idea I have is that you could reduce the sugar in the recipe, and then sprinkle your own on before serving. This would give you a bit more control, but I cant promise it will turn out as tasty!
Best of luck! Angela

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 4, 2011

I saw your tweet about the snow earlier and got a little giggle bec I remembered your post yesterday. And granola has got to have the clump factor. Love the clumps!

Page 1 of 41234»