My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

IMG_8273b

IMG_9212

I think Mother Nature was reading my blog post yesterday and decided to play a trick on me.

I woke up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning. It is gorgeous out there right now! No more grass for this town.

IMG_9211-2

Eric has been asking me to make homemade granola for a few weeks now, and I finally got around to it. I always forget how much I love making granola.

IMG_8258

The smell of the fresh granola coming out of the oven is intoxicating, as I sneak bites knowing full well that I am going to burn my tongue, but it tastes too good to wait for it to cool.

And that first bowl of granola with almond milk poured over top…well nothing beats it.

IMG_8282

I’ve made Power House Glonola before, but I wanted to improve upon the recipe and see what I could come up with. I doubt I will ever make the same recipe twice!

IMG_8269

The first thing you do is gather your wet ingredients…

IMG_8205b

I always admire my brown sugar when it comes out of the measuring cup like that!

IMG_8208

Stir well in a saucepan.

IMG_8210

Heat over medium.

IMG_8211

Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently.

While the wet mixture is simmering, grab your dry ingredients.

IMG_8202

For the nuts and seeds, I used 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup sesame seeds, 1/2 cup walnuts, and 1 cup of almonds. All raw. I roughly chopped the walnuts and almonds, but you still want mostly large pieces.

Oats, sweetened coconut flakes, kosher salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground flax.

IMG_8213

Mix all of the dry ingredients together…

IMG_8216

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. It will be very thick and sticky, but keep at it until it is thoroughly mixed. You can do this!

IMG_8218

Now we’re talking!

IMG_8219

Grab a spoon and shove into mouth.

That is some good granola.

Spread onto a baking sheet…

IMG_8220

Bake for 45 minutes at 300F, stirring every 10-15 minutes to ensure even baking.

Voila!

IMG_8253

As the granola cools it will firm up. The result is a crisp granola, but the clumps did not hold together. Next time, I will add another tablespoon of brown rice syrup in hopes of increasing the clump factor!

Allow to cool for about 30 minutes.

Now stir in your dried fruit. I added 1/3 cup raisins and 1/3 cup dried cranberries. I also decided to toss in some pepita seeds for colour.

IMG_8258

Lovely.

Just lovely.

IMG_8260

Grab a 2 litre bell jar.

IMG_8235

That’ll do.

IMG_8237

It fits perfectly!

IMG_8267 IMG_8264

This granola makes a wonderful gift too. Valentine’s Day, perhaps? Maybe there are some men reading whose girlfriends/wives would like some…

That would be so romantic, wouldn’t it?

IMG_8273

I’m here for you girls.

Now pour yourself a bowl and enjoy with some of your favourite milk. I love it with Vanilla Almond Milk and a tablespoon of hemp seeds tossed in for some protein.

IMG_8279

It is just the perfect winter breakfast.

Page 4 of 4«1234
Hawley April 20, 2017

Hi Angela! I have been following you since 2011, when I went vegan for the first time (and I was vegan for about 4 years but living in the South, I’m basically vegan at home and vegetarian when out because it’s easier and more socially adaptable here…). Anywho, I’ve recommended you and your site to probably hundreds of people since, literally. I have never made one of your recipes and not enjoyed it, and many of them simply BLOW my mind. Your chocolate chip cookies with roasted nuts in them are the best cookies I’ve ever had and anytime I make them for others, they are SHOCKED that they are vegan, muchless so incredible; and then they ask for the recipe, too. ;) Anywho, I am making this granola for the SECOND time in less than a week. And both times I have doubled the recipe! But our family adores it, and it’s so nice to be able to share with others. It is for sure a family staple now. I simply wanted to thank you and make sure you heard from me, to know how deeply grateful I am to you for helping me to make my family not just eat BETTER in terms of nutrition and health, but also taste! You’re amazing. I’m grateful for you, and thank you for this recipe and so many others. Yay for you!

Hawley April 20, 2017

Oh! And I used to use Brown Rice Syrup a few years ago when making this but lately have been using maple syrup instead and it’s brilliant! Both work terrifically, but maple syrup is something I use more frequently so it’s easier to keep stocked in my pantry. ;) And I must confess I just ADORE maple syrup. Ha!

Hawley April 20, 2017

oh and sometimes I switch out the nuts, like this latest batch has cashews instead of almonds! Yum!

Angela Liddon April 26, 2017

Hey Hawley, I can’t thank you enough for your super kind note and support for all things OSG! I’m so thrilled to hear how much you enjoy the recipes. And thank you so much for spreading the word too! =)

Terri November 26, 2016

Can you sub coconut sugar for the brown sugar?

Jessica August 20, 2016

First time making this granola! I could see how this is a very tasty recipe and I really liked it but 45 degrees at 300 overcooked my granola, and almost burned. I had the baking sheet in the lower third of the oven and turned it with a spatula every 15 min. I’m in CA and weather is dryer and hot here not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thanks for recipe!

Roxanne Cloutier-Peace August 7, 2016

My granola burnt after less than 15 minutes at 300f. Is there something I missed or could be doing wrong?

Penny July 21, 2016

I made a batch and loved it. I added hemp seed hearts and wheat germ as well. For dried fruit, I added cranberries, apricots, dates. Yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Erin April 10, 2016

I LOVE This granola and make it once a month to have as breakfast/snack. I love how it’s not too sweet and it’s so much cheaper to make it versus buying organic granola at the grocery store- seriously so overpriced compared to this recipe!. One trick I learned when making it is I don’t stir the granola while its cooking. I find if I pack it down in the pan prior to baking and just leave it be in the oven, it clumps so much better and I can use less brown rice syrup.

Angela Liddon April 11, 2016

Thanks for the tip, Erin!! It’s great to hear you enjoy the recipe so much. :)

Ashley Lynn February 18, 2016

I don’t have any applesauce on hand. Is there a good substitute that you know of?

Kristen December 2, 2015

Thank you for this recipe! I am baking my own granola for the first time as I type this. :) I wonder if this was already asked, but is there a reason the dried fruit needs to go in after baking/cooling? I accidentally added mine in with everything else, but it seems to be fine so far. Also, I am baking in a Pyrex casserole dish and am hoping that the glass doesn’t affect the crispness!

Molly G November 28, 2015

Loved this! We couldn’t stop eating it. And we loved the larger clumps. Yummy!!!!

Roberta Appel July 12, 2015

I made this today and although I changed it up a bit with what I had available, it was still very delicious!! I used coconut nectar instead of rice syrup and some Yacon syrup and it turned out to be fantastic… The beet smoothies are a fabulous hit too!! Never thought I’d like them but loving them every day !!! Thanks love your website

Sunnie November 18, 2014

Hi Angela,

I don’t have brown sugar on hand. Could I substitute coconut sugar? Kind of looks the same! Not sure if it will work…

Katie October 13, 2014

Angela – I made a quadruple batch of this as gifts for my baby shower, like you did! I ended up with about 34 cups of granola. I simplified the nuts and fruit, using just almonds, cranberries, and raisins (plus the coconut and flaxseed in the recipe). Added a little more brown rice syrup like you suggested and got plenty of great clumps. Thanks for a great recipe and a great gift idea!

Lyndsey September 29, 2014

Hi Angela,
I have been a big fan of yours for years. I make many of your blog & Instagram recipes on a regular basis but I just made the granola recipe from your cookbook!
OMG it is to die for and will likely change my life! Even my husband who is a skeptic of homemade versions of items like this is eating it in fistfuls! Thanks so much!
Keep up all your amazing work and good luck with the bambino.
Lyndsey

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2014

Thanks Lyndsey, so glad you guys are enjoying the recipes.

kika August 25, 2014

hi, are there any substitutes for the next ingredients, where I live is imposible to find them.

brown rice syrup
applesauce
peanut butter

thank you can’t wait to make it looks delicious!!

Kathy March 23, 2014

Just put this in the oven and can’t wait to try it! I did take a little taste before putting it in and awesome tasting, I am sure it is gonna taste even better cooked. First time making granola. I buy it for hubby and it is expensive so I thought I would give tis a try.

Zoe March 17, 2014

Hello! Just made this recipe this afternoon and I am so happy! Granola is so fun to make because you can throw anything you want into there… Instead of sesame seeds, I put hemp hearts and I also put dry blueberries in it as well! Thanks so much so for the amazing recipe Angela! Your blog never lets me down! :)

Mona G. March 6, 2014

BTW ANGELA, WHERE DO I SIGN UP FOR YOUR BLOG ? I DO NOT SEE A PLACE HERE…..

Mona G. March 6, 2014

This granola sounds wonderful…..will have to try it, but would rather make it into bars….can you do this ,with this recipe and make it the same way ?Could someone let me know if they have tried this recipe for granola bars too ?
Just found your blog Angela and right away I loved it…..could be also because my daughter is named Angela also and we live in the south…..but I have a dear friend who lives in Canada also :) Will let her know about your blog too…..

Lizzie November 26, 2013

This granola is a GAME CHANGER! Just pulled it out of the oven… smells like Christmas! B-b-b-bring it! Cheers Angela – you kick some serious goals!

Mandi November 3, 2013

Hi love, Mandi from Downunder (Australia -that is…) I love your recipes amd blog!!!! I’m a very new vegan and have diabetes 2 so I’m just interested, do you have a carb count for a serve of your granola??? I loooove crunchy sweet breakfast cereals but never eat them due to high carb load….so I’d love to make your granola and try it…I’ve just finished eating my first breakfast parfait and love it!!!’ I’m also happy to say I had a pleasant small rise in y blood sugar after a decent size serve so I’m thrilled…thanks for your generosity of spirit and creative genius! Love from Oz – PS taking my iPad to show my vegan friends your blog!!!

Leah March 3, 2013

I left out the cinnamon and nutmeg and added a heaping spoonful of cocoa to the wet ingredients. OMG good and no less healthy. The kids will think I’ve lost my mind when they get to eat it for breakfast!

Laura February 19, 2013

This is the BEST granola I have ever tasted, so much better than store bought brands. You make being vegan/plant-based so much more joyful. I replaced the brown rice syrup and the agave (personal reasons) with organic maple syrup and it turned out the perfect texture.

Jessica Lucra January 25, 2013

I absolutely love your recipes, thank you so much! I have been trying to find a homemade granola recipe but I want it to be plain (no nuts, fruit, etc) to be used in parfaits. Would your granola recipe work if I just omitted the seeds/almonds/etc. or would I need to adjust the amount of other ingredients such as the agave, peanut butter, apple sauce, etc? I hope that makes sense to you. :)

Karen January 22, 2013

What could you use in place of brown sugar? Sugar free household over here.

Rebecca November 24, 2012

Hi Angela,
Love this recipe and have made it a few times and given it as gifts. For Christmas this year, I’d love to send/mail some to my family. Since you suggest keeping the granola cold in the fridge for up to one month, is there anything specific you would recommend about shipping it? Shipping food always make me a little nervous, and I definitely want my family to enjoy the yumminess of your recipe. Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated!
Thanks very much!

Alison September 3, 2012

Angela,
I made your granola today and followed the instructions exactly and my granola came out burnt around the edges and also burnt in some places on the bottom of the granola? Did that ever happen to you?
i stirred every 10-15 minutes as suggested, do you think i should cut my cooking time down from 45 minutes next time?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2012

Hey Alison, I’m sorry your granola burned! I find it can quickly go from good to bad when it comes to granola. Do you have an oven themometre? Sometimes if it’s off it can cause this result. I would suggest baking it at a lower temp and reduce the time. I made a batch of granola recently and I baked it at 275-300F and had no issues of it burning quickly. Best of luck!

Alison September 3, 2012

i will try 275 degrees the next time, thanks for the info!
where do you put your shelf in your oven? on the top or middle? maybe that affected mine as well?

thanks again!

Raffi Darrow August 2, 2012

I’ve made a lot of granola, but I always pull up this recipe now and make the same adjustments:
I swap the applesauce for 1/2 mushy banana. I swap the coconut oil for olive oil. I swap the brown rice syrup for 2 TB agave and 2 TB maple syrup. I only added almonds and raisins to the dry oats, and 1/2 tsp ginger.
Sometimes I munch on it plain. Sometimes I mix it with 1/2 C yogurt and a few blueberries for breakfast.
This IS SO YUMMY!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

So glad you love it! Great subs.

Jessica V. July 16, 2012

I simply love your granola recipes. I’ve done it multiple times along with several variations but not this particular one which I’m dying to try. This morning I made one with only using Agave nectar for the wet ingredient; I’ve used the maple syrup in the past and found that both actually work the same. However, this time around I used non-stick sprayed foil paper instead of the wax paper for cooking and I found that the granola burns more easily in addition to not being crunchy all the way through. Should I just stick to the wax paper?

Also I been very curious to know where do you find your mason jars for storage

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2012

I usually get the jars from Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart :)
I use parchment paper for my baking and it tends to work fine. If wax paper works for you, I say stick with that.

Jessica V. July 16, 2012

WOW…I would never have thought of Wal-Mart…I was thinking more of antique shops or vintage trinket shops. But this may be even better and more economical…Great! Thanks for the advice.

Andrea July 5, 2012

Hey Angela, just curious, why do you suggest keeping the granola refrigerated? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2012

I’m really not sure why I said that to be honest! haha. I usually don’t refrigerate my granola…strange!

Andrea July 5, 2012

Haha that’s too funny :) Thanks for the response!

sharon June 19, 2012

this is SO good! it’s baking right now, but i must have eaten a quarter cup before it got there. ;)

changes i made:
five tablespoons of honey instead of brs/agave
peanut oil instead of coconut
a half cup each of walnuts, pecans, and hazelnuts
no seeds
pumpkin instead of applesauce
more cinnamon and nutmeg, as well as some cloves and ginger

i’ll add dried cranberries and sunflower/chia seeds separately when it gets out.

it’s smelling up the house now. :D thank you!!!

Stefan April 24, 2012

Wow! I just made granola for the first time using your recipe as a template…amazing :) I will never buy granola from the store again!!

Denise January 11, 2011

OH, and I didn’t put the dry ingredients in a bowl. I put them in a 9×13 inch pyrex dish and then poured the wet ingredients on top of it. I think it probably made it easier to stir and mix to make sure everything was coated well.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2011

so glad you enjoyed it!

Denise January 11, 2011

I made the granola this afternoon. I added the extra tablespoon of brown rice syrup. I also cooked it five minutes later and I had actually started stirring it more times then the recipe called for because I got confused and didn’t realize it said every 10-15 minutes.

It turned out GREAT. My 14 and 10 year old boys kept coming back for more. Granted they picked through the cranberries and raisins but still………………..

Laura January 9, 2011

made this today – SO GOOD! used 4 Tbsp brown rice syrup and it was clumpy enough for me. thank you! can’t wait to share this with my friends on our trip to mammoth next weekend!

May Cookie Co. January 7, 2011

YUM! I love making and eating granola. This recipe sounds awesome and full of protein and other good stuff. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I’ll be making it this weekend!!

Ali @ Around The VeggieTable January 6, 2011

This looks absolutely heavenly! Thank you for sharing :)

Amber K January 5, 2011

I love brown sugar for exactly that reason! ;)

Tracy @ Commit To Fit January 5, 2011

Thanks, Angela! I have been on the hunt for a granola recipe and this one looks fantastic and easy to make…yum!