Flu-Buster Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie

IMG 7994 2 thumb   Flu Buster Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie

I’ve been playing nurse for the past few days, doing my best to help Eric beat his flu (and not catch it myself!). We’ve been eating lots of healthy dinner leftovers like Spicy Rainbow Rice & Bean Salad, Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf, Creamy Tomato Barley Risotto, and Back on Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad, sure to give any cold a run for its money.

I also decided to pull out my Winter Flu-Buster Secret Weapon this week…

IMG 6815 thumb thumb   Flu Buster Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie

Ah Clementine’s, the perfect winter fruit to ward off a cold, don’t you think?

Eric and I have been eating these juicy little delights non-stop, but when he started to feel like he was getting a fever, all he wanted was something COLD to soothe his throat and help his body cool down.

I started thinking about packing vitamin C into a delicious smoothie and then it hit me – Why not make a smoothie based off of one of our favourite childhood popsicles- the Creamsicle?

Yes, this just may work.

IMG 8004b1 thumb   Flu Buster Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie

IMG 7988 thumb   Flu Buster Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie

You start by freezing your Clementines, Avocado, and Banana like so:

• Peel and slice a large ripe banana, freeze
  • Take 1/2 of a small avocado, scoop out flesh, freeze
  • Peel 2-3 Clementines, break into segments, freeze

IMG 7976 thumb   Flu Buster Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie

Once those are frozen (they must be frozen before making or it won’t work) grab your chilled coconut milk, almond milk, almond extract, lemon, 1 medjool date, and your frozen avocado, banana, and Clementines.

IMG 79741 thumb   Flu Buster Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie

Place into a blender and blend until smooth. If it is too thick, add a bit more almond milk to thin it out to your desired consistency. It should be very thick and almost like an ice cream shake though.

IMG 7979 thumb   Flu Buster Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie

The result is a creamy and energizing smoothie, with a hint of orange that will help keep those cold bugs at bay! Eric is pretty much obsessed with this smoothie and he asks for one about 6 times a day.

IMG 7997 thumb   Flu Buster Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie

Oh, and it would also be delicious with any type of Winter citrus I’m sure.

IMG 6746 thumb thumb   Flu Buster Clementine Creamsicle Smoothie

Here is to a healthy 2011.

Kate January 3, 2011

That looks simply amazing!!!! :) Thank you for sharing it with us! There is something adventurous about consuming cold stuff in winter. And what better than something that will keep the bad bugs away from us! <3

aubrey @ italktofood January 3, 2011

i just love all your smoothies. They look so thick and decadant.

Happy New Year!

kelli January 3, 2011

This looks delish!!! Can you taste the banana?

Nichole January 3, 2011

I have everything to make this at home except the coconut milk – do you think it would be okay if I omit?

Jessica January 3, 2011

One word: yum! This looks so good, can’t wait to try it for myself :-)

Christine (The Raw Project) January 3, 2011

This looks wonderful, I haven’t had a citrus smoothie in a long time. Poor Eric, I hope he’s feeling better soon!

Beth January 17, 2011

Finally got around to making this wonderful drink this morning.
Fabulous! Fantastic! So thick & creamy.
Who cares if it is -25C outside, I’ve got a huge Creamsicle smoothie to keep me smiling :)

Krista January 27, 2011

My poorly made blender finally bit the dust two days ago. I saw these yesterday and was so determined to make them that I went out just to buy a new blender. I was a little apprehensive about using non-dairy milk (you adopt a dairy-friendly attitude when living in Wisconsin), but I’m so glad that I picked a carton of almond milk! These are great! I had them for a treat last night and used my leftovers for breakfast this morning. Thank you!

Isabelle April 18, 2012

Hey Angela,
I see the Almond Breeze milk on your picture. Have you tried the new President Choice Organic (unsweetened) almond milk?
I have never been a fan of almond milk because of the flavourings, but this one is super yummy. Waiting to finish my stash of oat milk (for me) and Brown rice milk (my daughter’s) and we’ll switch to the PC almond one.
Tried it in the green monsters, yummy !!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

aw so funny that you mentioned the PC organic! JUST picked some up (saw it was the same price as Almond Breeze regular!) and I tried it today….in love. I will have to blog about this for sure.

Isabelle April 18, 2012

how funny is this?
Have just printed 9 more recipes from your amazing blog. I’m going to spend my life in the kitchen (would not complain if I had more time)
Have also reorganised my pantry with mason jars, and it looks soooo much better. Also thinking of making my own jams/preserves now too… ;)
Have a great evening,
Isa

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

hah that’s awesome! Im glad im not the only one spending too much time in there….well, I hope it’s worth it for you and you enjoy them!

Isabelle April 18, 2012

I always spend a lot of time in the kitchen. It’s in the blood. My brother is a chef (and teacher), our parents owned a hotel restaurant in France (on an island on the western coast), and for me food has to be home made and super tasty and healthy. And I want my kids to grow like this too… they have to know what “real” food taste like!

Lorell July 18, 2012

I made this smoothie for dh today, since he’s fighting a cold. I had some extra, so I had a little and gave the rest to my four kids. It was awesomely delicious! My youngest boy finished his off and then spent the next few minutes tipping the cup at many different angles to get every possible drop…:D. It was definitely a hit at our house, and I never knew an avocado would taste so good in a smooothie!

Liz Rae August 28, 2013

Sounds delicious, however banana and Clementine do not mix together, a sweet fruit and acid fruit counteract each other and can cause more damage than good. Maybe make it without the banana and dates?

Laurel December 11, 2013

Can’t wait to try this one!

PinaColada March 20, 2014

This looks so delicious! I’ve always heard not to eat cold/frozen foods when I have a cold but this looks so good that I would disregard that advice! Plus the Vit. C in the clementines is100% good for colds! :)

Tiffany April 20, 2014

Angela, I’ve been making this smoothly at least 3 times a week! It is delicious!! I don’t usually have coconut cream so I leave that out and reduce the cashew milk to 3/4cup or less to make it extra thick and creamy. Thank you so much!!

Page 3 of 3«123