4 Ingredient No Knead Bread

I must say, things are looking up.

IMG_6453-2

Sometimes, all a girl needs is some freshly baked whole wheat bread slathered in Earth Balance.

Besides releasing endorphins via carbohydrates, I also spent the entire weekend getting my life in order!

IMG_6468

Santa approved.

I cleaned. I organized. I did Holiday prep. I bubble bathed.

I cleaned off the kitchen desk that was covered for 3 months…

IMG_6469

I rocked my to-do list…

• Paid bills/business banking
  • BUBBLE BATH
  • Cleaned main level of house
  • Organized kitchen supplies, clean out baking drawers
  • Donated all items not in use (got 2 boxes worth to donate!)
  • Clean/tidy office
  • 3-4 loads Laundry
  • Baked 2 recipes for blog
  • Bought new bed
  • Finish X-mas shopping
  • Wrapped all gifts + ship out gifts
  • Grocery shopping

I am starting to feel like my life is sloooooowly getting back on track. This week I need to make time for the dentist and a much needed hair cut, two things I have not had time for over the past few months. I also need to work on my business tax prep and email catch up before the holidays arrive on Friday.

But, back to this bread.

IMG_6456

You may have heard about this famous ‘No Knead Bread’ recipe from Jim Lahey at the Sullivan Street Bakery. The recipe was published on the New York Times website in 2006 and the bread has graced many food blogs over the past few years.

I finally decided I would give it a shot myself!

While I have admitted that I love kneading dough, my curious nature just got the best of me. I also wanted to try this recipe using 100% whole wheat bread flour to see if it would still turn out.

IMG_6450

First things first, mix all 4 ingredients together and let it rise for 12-18 hours, covered in plastic wrap.

My dough mess looked like this after about 14 hours…

IMG_6395

Hot mess.

Turn the hot mess onto a lightly floured surface and fold the dough a couple of times. Place back in the bowl, covered, for 15 minutes.

IMG_6404

After 15 minutes, fold the corners into the middle to shape it into a ball.

IMG_6406

Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal. I used flour and it was one heck of a mess!

IMG_6409

Place the dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours.

IMG_6412

Tip: If you use a tall narrow bowl, the dough should rise higher as the walls will force the dough to expand upward.

IMG_6414

Sketchie hibernated.

IMG_6416

After 2 hours, place the dough ball seam side up into the preheated pot.

IMG_6421

Do as I say not as I do, apparently. I placed it seam side down by mistake. I’m not sure how much this impacts the final outcome! Maybe it doesn’t rise as much when it is seam side down?

Bake for 30 minutes covered with the lid, and then carefully remove the lid and brown the bread for 15-20 minutes.

Voila.

Rustic, wholesome, goodness.

IMG_6431

The result is a very crispy outer shell with a moist and dense interior.

IMG_6439

The crumb was a bit spongy for my liking, but it was nothing a slather of Earth Balance couldn’t fix. Our favorite part was the crisp outer crust…it was incredible and made this bread so rustic.

IMG_6445

Eric and I proceeded to eat half the loaf for lunch.

Is there anyone who actually makes fresh bread and does not inhale it when it comes out of the oven?

IMG_6453

My overall impression of this no knead bread is that it was more work and mess than it initially seems.

I probably would opt for making kneaded bread next time, only because there is not a 12-18 hour wait period and I think the whole wheat dough might rise better using a traditional method. I’ll have to test out a kneading recipe soon to compare! If anyone has some good whole wheat bread recipes, please shoot em my way.

Either way, Eric and I still very much enjoyed this bread and if you don’t mind the 12-18 hour rest time, it might be a good option for you! You may also want to play around with the flour too using a mix of white and whole wheat bread flours as this one was a bit dense.

PS- I found this quote on an old bread post and I’m re-posting it because it makes me laugh and it is TRUE!

“Any human being is really good at certain things. The problem is that the things you’re good at come naturally. And since most people are pretty modest instead of an arrogant s.o.b. like me, what comes naturally, you don’t see as a special skill. It’s just you. It’s what you’ve always done.”
– Stephen Jay Gould, evolutionary scientist

Page 2 of 2«12
Lydia January 16, 2014

I love that this has no oil in it-I make bread once a week but I hate the adding oil part,I’d rather use much less oils if possible. Can’t wait to try this.

AGS December 23, 2010

Ooooh. Similar to wonderful “english muffin bread” that my Mom used to make in left-over coffee cans. You just brought back a wonderful memory!

Rachael December 20, 2010

Looks like you had therapy in two forms today – the amazing, grounding rush that comes from creating control out of chaos (and least it’s medicine in my world) and the healing, warm fuzziness of baking and eating homemade bread :)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker December 20, 2010

Great job, Angela! No-knead bread is THE BEST! And your loaf looks so hearty. Yum!

yasmine (mypurplegrape) December 20, 2010

Sketchie is so cute!!

Ps: I made your Nanaimo Bars and Chilled Double Chocolate Torte yesterday!! They were such a hit. i’ll be posting pics on my blog later this week :)

Xx

Cara Craves... December 20, 2010

My oldest brother makes an awesome version of this bread…
it is his specialty

Amy December 20, 2010

Mmmmm… Bread! I have a great whole wheat bread recipe on my blog:

Lauren December 20, 2010

Hi! I’m one of your biggest fans and I posted about a rye buttermilk whole-wheat bread on my blog a while ago that I think might just float your boat: http://laurenzietsman.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/buttermilk-rye-whole-wheat-bread-so-good-you-might-want-to-marry-it/ …it’s seriously SO good–hearty, but with a slight buttermilk tang and a pretty subtle rye taste. It’s from Bernard Clayton’s Complete Book of Breads and was a giant success. You really should try it for a whole wheat bread that’s not just whole wheat :)
Lauren

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2010

thanks!!

Caroline December 20, 2010

I read here http://ohsheglows.com/2008/11/10/if-i-could-bottle-this-smell-i-would/ that your all time favourite website is allrecipes.com. If you like that one you might also like this one: http://www.joyofbaking.com/
I love that site! They have a lot :)

I’m gonna give this bread a try. Sounds easy :)

Danielle December 20, 2010

It’s such a great feeling to get organized!!

I’m not sure why melted shortening/butters taste so much better than when they are cold, but wow – that melted Earth Balance on bread looks awesome!

Alo Clothing December 20, 2010

That looks delicious. Thank you for sharing such detailed, step-by-step instructions with us!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 20, 2010

I couldn’t wait that long for fresh bread either. Once I get the idea of fresh bread in my head, I need it ASAP! But that bread still sounds amazing, especially the crispy crust!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) December 20, 2010

Looks delicious!
Congrats on all the success you’ve had in project food blog, it was so much fun following you on your journey :)

liane December 20, 2010

I need to discuss your chocolate torte recipe.
I served it last night to a group of people who are total foodie people, and they asked for seconds, and then they all sat stunned when I told them it was a) vegan and b) contained avocados. Oh, and they clamored for the recipe, so I dutifully wrote out your URL.

Consider this my daily “Oh She Glows” Public Service Announcement:
Stop whatever you are doing right now. Head to the grocery store, buy 4 avocados.
Return home.
Make. This. Immediately.

(and try not to eat half the filling before it even hits the cake pan)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2010

haha omg this cracked me up!!!!!
Too funny. I had someone comment yesterday they said it was so good they wanted to cry. lol.

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 20, 2010

I’m so glad you did this! I have been wanting to make no-knead bread ever since I read The Art of Eating In by Cathy Erway, and I knew I’d need to set aside a weekend to do it. I wanted a whole-wheat version, but wasn’t sure how it would turn out. I just never got around to it because I never really got the time. But I have been feeling guilty every time another weekend goes by without me having made a loaf! Now I can stop feeling guilty. Yours does look amazing, but like you said, the extra time and effort does not seem worth it. I think I’ll stick to my favorite Whole Foods loaf :) Thank you!!

Emmy December 20, 2010

Hi Ang,

Had no idea where to post this as I know its slightly outdated now (Ive had a crazy few days with submitting info for my nutrition degree) BUT I just wanted to say how amazing every submission of yours was for Foodbuzz, but how totally touched I was by final post.

Your recipes are amazing, your writing and photos are beautiful, but your totally exceptional skill is in the strength of your kindess, humility, thoughtfulness and honesty – which totally shows through in everything you write. In a blog world where its SO tempting to pretend to be perfect and together the whole time your honesty about struggles we ALL have – if we were just a bit more honest! – is a total breath of comforting fresh air.

Plus, its massively reassuring when super gorgeous, intelligent and together people get anxiety too! :). Your blog genuinely makes me want to be a better person.

You SO deserved to win! xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2010

Thank you Emmy. :) Your encouragement means so much to me!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) December 20, 2010

A clean kitchen counter and buttered fresh whole wheat bread sounds like a party to me.

rachel December 20, 2010

that looks delicious! i love making my own bread, makes the house smell amazing.

Michelle December 20, 2010

Hi Angela – that looks great! I’ve made this recipe before too, using wholegrain spelt flour I think, and I remember it was pretty good. You’re right though, it does seem to work out quite messy, but still good! I’m pretty keen on baking powder bread at the moment which is less mess, there’s no waiting time, and it tastes pretty darn good too. :) There’s something special about yeast bread though! Bread vs. cheese? No contest. ;) Happy Christmas and congrats on making the final 3 in the Project Food Blog!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 20, 2010

oh fresh warm bread how i love you so

Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 20, 2010

LOVE that quote! It is indeed, so true :).

Zuzia December 20, 2010

That looks so good! If you didnt and salt would that do anything to the bread?

Jessica December 20, 2010

Another wonderful book for easy artisan bread: “Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day”. Wonderful! I use it all the time for boules and pizza dough.

Lindsay December 20, 2010

So not even joking, I was searching for this recipe last night because I’m pregnant and was having a major bread craving! Thanks for posting it! I made it a few years ago when the recipe first came out in the NY Times. Your right, it’s not the same as kneeding it yourself, but when your too tired to do much kneeding, it’s a great alternative :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 20, 2010

That bread and butter? OMG.

carlee December 20, 2010

DROoOoOoOollll. That looks like heaven !!

ezzie December 20, 2010

I was planning to bake some bread today with my mom since we just restocked on our white whole wheat flour and this seems like a nice technique for when I don’t want to bother with kneading. Thanks for sharing~

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) December 20, 2010

I have a tweaked really good multigrain recipe from Deborah Madison that I love (actually, I plan on making it again this afternoon). It has multigrain cereal in it, and can either be 100% whole wheat flour or part white/whole wheat. It is delicious! It also has sunflower seeds, couldn’t be better. The original recipe calls for buttermilk/honey, but I’m sure you could veganize it. Let me know if you want the link!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2010

yes yes please. That sounds fabulous. I actually LOVE sunflower seeds in my bread!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) December 20, 2010
Alaina December 20, 2010

I get the same way when I’m making quick breads. The banana nut bread and pumpkin bread make my mouth water when it’s baking :-) It’s the best smell.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 20, 2010

I often make homemade bread (but unlike you I cheat and use a bread machine! :P) and you’re right- as soon as it’s ready, I inhale it! The smell that permeates the whole house is the best bit! Nothing can beat the smell of freshly baked bread :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2010

i seriously think freshly baked bread is impossible to resist

Sarah December 20, 2010

I just wanted to congratulate you on the FoodBuzz finish – I love your website and check it daily for inspiration and laughs. Thanks you – hope you have a great holiday season.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2010

thanks sarah!

Amber K December 20, 2010

I have never made my own bread before! I’m definitely going to have to try though, because gluten-free bread is expensive!!

Ashley December 20, 2010

I have the 5 minutes a day artisan bread book and its fantabulous. My husband says its the best bread he’s ever had. Supper fast and easy, I loved it so much I went out and bought healthy breads in 5 minutes a day too and they’re even better! I make a small loaf for the two of us every other day because it never lasts longer than that.

Shauna December 20, 2010

Hi Angela

Last week I made your pumpkin pie brownies for a potluck and they were a HUGE hit! I wasn’t surprised because I make your recipes all the time. My fiancée has requested that I make it for his family’s Christmas dinner too. I was wondering if you had tried freezing them? I would love to make them ahead of time but I worry about the pumpkin pie layer having a weird texture once it is defrosted.

Oh, and I was really hoping you would win the challenge! I thought you were the best by far!
Enjoy your holidays!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2010

I have not tried freezing them, so I am not sure how they would do. Im sure they might keep for at least a few days if necessary. Let me know if you try it!

Im glad they were a hit!