The Banana Spice Smoothie Worth Braving The Cold For

Thank you guys for your votes for my Challenge #9 post! So many of you are re-tweeting your votes and liking the post on Facebook. Thank you all for your support! :)

IMG_5182

Winter Rituals

The alarm goes off in the morning around 7am and the first thing I notice before I even open my eyes is the cool chill on my face. That would be the cold morning air trying desperately to find its way inside, which isn’t a rather difficult thing to do with old, leaky windows long overdue for replacement.

Sketchie is cuddled and folded up so tightly between us, I start to wonder if he can breathe the way his small body is contorted. The alarm goes off with this annoying music from Eric’s Blackberry and I look at Sketchie as he squints at me with one eye before closing it and resting his head back down on his paws. His tail wraps around himself tightly and his paws tuck underneath his chest as if trying to seal in his body heat.

The three of us linger in bed, neither one wanting to make the first brave attempt to remove oneself from the warm cocoon that 4 layers of blankets create. Not enjoying the chill on my face, I take a blanket and put it over my head before drifting off to sleep for 10 minutes until that annoying music goes off again.

I cringe.

I’m not really one for broken up sleep unlike Eric who will happily hit snooze 6 times in a row. I take a deep breath and remove a few covers from my body and then I bravely leap into the cold air, immediately throwing on my robe and slippers simultaneously and with great precision. I have nailed this routine down to an art. My robe and slippers are always within arm’s reach beside my bed during the colder months.

Once awake and washed up, I scurry downstairs, slippers clunking and dragging against the floor as I go. Sketchie is at my feet, or should I say underfoot, waiting anxiously for the clanking of his food in his dish. I realize that I probably look like a real sight for sore eyes, but I don’t care.

I have a mission.

The first thing I do on my mission is turn up the thermostat. Within seconds, Sketchie and I hear the loud humming noise of the heat pumping through the vents. It is music to our ears. Sketchie sits beside the heat vent, eyes starting to drift off into a blissful moment he has been waiting for all morning.

After my first mission is complete, I walk into the kitchen and pour 8 cups of water into the kettle, trying not to glance at the temperature outside. But I do, and it is never good.

This morning, the temperature reads -8C/17.6F.

IMG_5184

A chill runs down my spine, but I admire the pretty frost and snow from the kitchen window. I open the dishwasher and gather my loose leaf tea pot components and fill it with Japanese Sencha Loose leaf tea. Some mornings I enjoy French Press, but on cold mornings like this, tea is a quicker medium for warmth. It also makes 8 cups worth (versus 3 in my French Press) and I drink every drop.

Waiting for the tea to steep is the hardest part. It feels like an eternity before the tea is the right temperature for drinking. Still, I often drink it too soon, burning as it goes down and promising to myself I will wait a couple more minutes. While I play this charade, I often decide what I will have for breakfast. Most mornings- unless I am blogging about a special breakfast recipe- are quite simple. Lately I have been enjoying PB & J hot oatmeal, Green Monsters, or VOO depending on my mood. One thing is for sure, I have been avoiding pumpkin like the plague.

IMG_5175

Despite the cold this morning, I couldn’t stop thinking about a smoothie recipe that I saw in The Coup Cookbook. With my piping hot tea in hand, I braved the chill of the smoothie and I didn’t regret it for one second.

IMG_5148b

Banana Spice Smoothie

This comforting smoothie is worth braving the cold for.

Adapted from The Coup Cookbook.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
  • 4 ice cubes
  • 1 heaping tbsp almond butter (or PB)
  • 1 pitted medjool date
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
  • 1 large peeled banana, frozen
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom powder (optional, I didn’t have any)

Directions: Starting with the milk, add all ingredients to the blender and process until smooth. Add more ice if necessary. Pour into glass and sprinkle with cinnamon. Serves 1.

IMG_5147

This is quite possibly one of the best tasting smoothies that has ever crossed my lips! Despite the fact that it is a cold beverage, it is rich, buttery, creamy, and comforting.

The workday now begins.

IMG_5166

What are your winter morning rituals?

Page 3 of 3«123
Ashley k December 12, 2010

Oh my gosh, I just made this after a quick spin session in my living room and HOLY YUM! Delish!

Thanks for sharing!!

Jennifer December 11, 2010

Just had the Banana Spice Smoothie this morning and it was so dang good….so. dang. good. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 11, 2010

glad u like it!!! Gosh I want one so badly right now haha

Tara December 10, 2010

I just saw that you won readers choice as well! I’ve only posted a couple times but have followed and loved your food buzz journey you are so gonna win! By the way I made your chocolate covered cookie dough balls the other day soooooo yummy!! Congratulations and thank you for all your inspiration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 11, 2010

thank you!! :)

Anne December 10, 2010

I came to add my congrats as well!

One more challenge to go… good luck. :)

Kelly December 10, 2010

YOU WON reader’s choice!!! CONGRATS!!!!! I seriously think you will win the whole challenge – how awesome!!!
Can’t WAIT to see your last post!! :o)

Liana @ femme fraiche December 9, 2010

Oh my gosh this looks glorious. My winter morning rituals include me running at high speed to get out the door in time to fight the commuter traffic, all the while praying to the gods to make my morning longer:( Yours sounds much more relaxing! hehe

Helen December 9, 2010

I made myself a smoothie this morning. It was super easy. Frozen blueberries, strawberries, a whole banana and half a cup of mango juice. So delicious!! I know about cold. I’m in New England! I wake up and run for dear life to my robe and bundle up as I’m trying to wake up.

Susan December 9, 2010

Great recipe! I made this for my breakfast this morning…I have been so sick with the flu (thankfully NOT the stomach flu), that I haven’t felt like eating much…but I am gulping this smoothie down as I’m typing! Hey, I can even smell/taste a few of the spices! Yippee! lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010

hope you feel better soon!

Susan December 10, 2010

Thanks!
I’m making this smoothie again this morning…it’s so good! :)

Cindy Robinson December 9, 2010

Brrr, I will try not to complain about the cold here in Central Florida :) But glad to know that I’m not the only person making a smoothie while it’s so darn cold outside! And thanks for the cute narrative, I needed to get away, if only just for those few minutes.

Katie December 9, 2010

Beautifully written! :)

My winter morning ritual varies between the following two:

Ritual 1: Jump out of bed already wearing my workout clothes, throw on shoes, brush my teeth, grab the kitty and make a bed for her on the couch to watch me while I workout with Kinect EA Sports Fit.

Ritual 2: Hit snooze and immediately put the phones volume on low and right by my pillow, continue hitting snooze for the next hour hoping not to wake my boyfriend, while petting kitty whose bed is right by our bed.

Katie December 9, 2010

Sorry didn’t mean to hit “send” twice…

Cindy Robinson December 9, 2010

Ha, what a great idea, wearing your workout clothes already! Sometimes you just need that extra umph. I think I may try that!

Anne C December 9, 2010

Ohhh, what a fun post! Eric sounds just like my husband! He’ll hit that snooze button forever until he needs to get up. I would so much rather just have my sleep undisturbed until I have to crawl out from under the warm & cozy blankets.

That smoothie looks delish! I’ll definitely be trying that one soon! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit December 9, 2010

Lovely post :-) That smoothie looks unbelievable.
Do you get permission to reprint recipes, or is it fine to just cite where you got it from if you adapted it? That’s what I’ve been doing and have done some research that says it is fine to do that, but I want to be sure!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010

If you adapt/modify a recipe, it is fair game to re-publish. That is the general rule of thumb :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 9, 2010

I have my sweater and sweatpants within arms reach of my bed too haha! Otherwise it would be nearly impossible to get me out of my nice cozy bed. ;)

My morning ritual is to wake up and immediately make coffee and breakfast, then slowly eat for the next hour as I read blogs.

Kristy H December 9, 2010

Smoothies are so great for breakfast and this one looks and sounds amazing. I might have to give my usual green monster a miss and try this instead – although i almost cant bear the thought of going one morning without a green monster. I made your ultra fudgey brownies and omg, they are to die for. Talk about ultra fudgey goodness! they taste like this chocolate pudding i have been making for years that had butter, milk and eggs in it. Thanks Angela, I am converted to vegan baking and even my fussy boyfriend loved them (who swore he would never eat spelt flour). Your a genius!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010

that is great!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes December 9, 2010

Banana’s and PB together are a match made in heaven!

Wei-Wei December 9, 2010

During winter nights I always turn on my electric blanket, and even though you’re supposed to turn it off, I usually fall asleep… it’s actually not quite safe because a fuse could blow and there could be electrocution or a fire. :(

Allison December 9, 2010

I love your description of your morning ritual! I have a similar one that also includes using my favorite body lotion after my morning shower. Without that step, my day just isn’t the same. It’s the little things that keep me going! :-)

Alaina December 9, 2010

My husband loves to keep the bedroom cold. I can’t stand it! It’s too cold!

But I’m definitely like Eric; I am allll about the snooze. It’s my friend. :-)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 9, 2010

This looks absolutely delicious. Almost like banana horchata!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) December 9, 2010

Winter morning ritual = pray and wish that Saskatchewan would have its first “snow day” ever so that I can stay in bed.

Kari December 8, 2010

Why avoid pumpkin? Did I miss something?! I’ve been drinking pumpkin spice lattes without the espresso…and loving the rich cuppa cheer every morning.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010

hehe im just sick of pumpkin after challenge #8 of PFB…I tested SO many pumpkin recipes!!!

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle December 8, 2010

omg I love banana pb smoothies!!!