The Banana Spice Smoothie Worth Braving The Cold For

Thank you guys for your votes for my Challenge #9 post! So many of you are re-tweeting your votes and liking the post on Facebook. Thank you all for your support! :)

IMG_5182

Winter Rituals

The alarm goes off in the morning around 7am and the first thing I notice before I even open my eyes is the cool chill on my face. That would be the cold morning air trying desperately to find its way inside, which isn’t a rather difficult thing to do with old, leaky windows long overdue for replacement.

Sketchie is cuddled and folded up so tightly between us, I start to wonder if he can breathe the way his small body is contorted. The alarm goes off with this annoying music from Eric’s Blackberry and I look at Sketchie as he squints at me with one eye before closing it and resting his head back down on his paws. His tail wraps around himself tightly and his paws tuck underneath his chest as if trying to seal in his body heat.

The three of us linger in bed, neither one wanting to make the first brave attempt to remove oneself from the warm cocoon that 4 layers of blankets create. Not enjoying the chill on my face, I take a blanket and put it over my head before drifting off to sleep for 10 minutes until that annoying music goes off again.

I cringe.

I’m not really one for broken up sleep unlike Eric who will happily hit snooze 6 times in a row. I take a deep breath and remove a few covers from my body and then I bravely leap into the cold air, immediately throwing on my robe and slippers simultaneously and with great precision. I have nailed this routine down to an art. My robe and slippers are always within arm’s reach beside my bed during the colder months.

Once awake and washed up, I scurry downstairs, slippers clunking and dragging against the floor as I go. Sketchie is at my feet, or should I say underfoot, waiting anxiously for the clanking of his food in his dish. I realize that I probably look like a real sight for sore eyes, but I don’t care.

I have a mission.

The first thing I do on my mission is turn up the thermostat. Within seconds, Sketchie and I hear the loud humming noise of the heat pumping through the vents. It is music to our ears. Sketchie sits beside the heat vent, eyes starting to drift off into a blissful moment he has been waiting for all morning.

After my first mission is complete, I walk into the kitchen and pour 8 cups of water into the kettle, trying not to glance at the temperature outside. But I do, and it is never good.

This morning, the temperature reads -8C/17.6F.

IMG_5184

A chill runs down my spine, but I admire the pretty frost and snow from the kitchen window. I open the dishwasher and gather my loose leaf tea pot components and fill it with Japanese Sencha Loose leaf tea. Some mornings I enjoy French Press, but on cold mornings like this, tea is a quicker medium for warmth. It also makes 8 cups worth (versus 3 in my French Press) and I drink every drop.

Waiting for the tea to steep is the hardest part. It feels like an eternity before the tea is the right temperature for drinking. Still, I often drink it too soon, burning as it goes down and promising to myself I will wait a couple more minutes. While I play this charade, I often decide what I will have for breakfast. Most mornings- unless I am blogging about a special breakfast recipe- are quite simple. Lately I have been enjoying PB & J hot oatmeal, Green Monsters, or VOO depending on my mood. One thing is for sure, I have been avoiding pumpkin like the plague.

IMG_5175

Despite the cold this morning, I couldn’t stop thinking about a smoothie recipe that I saw in The Coup Cookbook. With my piping hot tea in hand, I braved the chill of the smoothie and I didn’t regret it for one second.

IMG_5148b

Banana Spice Smoothie

This comforting smoothie is worth braving the cold for.

Adapted from The Coup Cookbook.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
  • 4 ice cubes
  • 1 heaping tbsp almond butter (or PB)
  • 1 pitted medjool date
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
  • 1 large peeled banana, frozen
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom powder (optional, I didn’t have any)

Directions: Starting with the milk, add all ingredients to the blender and process until smooth. Add more ice if necessary. Pour into glass and sprinkle with cinnamon. Serves 1.

IMG_5147

This is quite possibly one of the best tasting smoothies that has ever crossed my lips! Despite the fact that it is a cold beverage, it is rich, buttery, creamy, and comforting.

The workday now begins.

IMG_5166

What are your winter morning rituals?

1 Allison @ Food For Healing December 8, 2010

Mm love smoothies!

Pfft -8C only, i wish, that would be warm, currently it is -15C with a windchill of -24C, and its 11am, and its warmed up since this morning when i got up. Come live in Saskatchewan all winter, and go back to those temps, they will seem warm hehe

2 Allison @ Food For Healing December 8, 2010

Mm love smoothies!

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

ohhh the Praries are cold…we usuaully don’t get into those temps in Southern Ontario until January

4 Kath December 8, 2010

Girllllllllllllll you need a programmable thermostat!! How do you not have one JUST for cold Canadian mornings!? They are inexpensive and easy to install!

5 Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 8, 2010

Banana anything is worth bravig the cold for!

6 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 8, 2010

I remember last year you did that winter challenge– do you think you’ll do another one like that this year? I have to FORCE myself out into the cold this year, but the fresh air is always worth it!

Also– that smoothie looks fabulous. Obviously. :-)

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

Last winter I realized that the roads around my house are too dangerous to exercise on (due to the main roads having lots of trucks and ice), so I am pretty much forced to workout indoors during the winter in our area. We don’t have many neighbourhood type streets around unfortunately!

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 8, 2010

I hear ya on the thermostat…. wish my house could be warmer too! It seems my room is the coldest of them all. Smoothie looks delicious Ange!! Definitely going to try this on the weekend! :)

9 Amber K December 8, 2010

It doesn’t matter how cold it gets, I can’t stop with the smoothies! Just absolute perfection.

10 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 8, 2010

I have an enormous down comforter and you would not believe the cocoon that thing creates. I could hibernate under there for weeks!

11 Melissa December 8, 2010

I guess I will stop complaining that it’s -0.5C here in Tennessee… :/

p.s. This post is beautifully written… In the most non-creepy way possible, I can imagine your morning routine step-by-step.

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

hehe thanks!

13 Camille December 8, 2010

I am totally with you on the alarm. It isn’t worth it to lie in bed having something screeching at you when you could just get up and greet the day!

14 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 8, 2010

That sounds AMAZING. I especially love the idea of coconut milk + banana…not tropical, but definitely warm-weather feeling.

It’s always so hard to get out from under the covers in the winter!! I have a down comforter that feels like a warm cloud :)

15 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut December 8, 2010

I love a warm bed and a cool room!! Until its time to get up ;)

16 Amy December 8, 2010

My husband installed the programmable thermostat – best invention ever! He has it set to turn the heat on at 5:25am then I get out of bed at 5:30am and the house is starting to get nice and toasty! As much as you hate it – you need to go to your Home Depot store asap!
Thanks for the great recipes!

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

that sounds amazing…going to do this

18 'Dee December 8, 2010

Definitely! After reading the post, I immediately thought this:

Woman, two words: Programmable Thermostat!!

Guess I wasn’t so original in thinking it, but once you have one, you will kick yourself for not getting it earlier.

19 grocery goddess jen December 8, 2010

I always add cinnamon to my banana smoothies, but man, coconut milk and ginger and cloves? Oh my!

20 lindsay December 8, 2010

i’d brave the cold for that! Since its been getting colder here, I know warm up my green monsters and add a little cocoa to them. Warm Frothy green goddess for post runs. Glad you survived that chilly run. Love the frost though! Beautiful.

21 Heather (Heather's Dish) December 8, 2010

i always take a deep, deep breathe under the covers (b/c that’s where the warm air is) and then jump out of bed and put the covers back up to keep my hubby warm. i put on shoes and let the dogs outside, then workout so that i can warm up. then comes the blogging, the shower, the getting ready, and the breakfast. and the bundling. and then FINALLY the warmth :)

22 ashley December 8, 2010

Right now, my morning ritual is to… Fight morning. The darkness is really getting to me right now (Alaska is great, but the darkness in winter is a beast) so the best I can do is snooze 3 times and find my slippers to turn the heat up to get ready for the day. It’s been around 15 F in the mornings this week… Much better than the 0 F it was last week!

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

What time does the sun rise in Alaska?

24 ashley December 8, 2010

The sun rises at 10 am, and sets around 3:45 pm right now. I go to work in the dark and go home in the dark. Solstice is soon, and I can’t wait to start gaining light again!

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

that must be so hard!! I guess this will make me appareciate our 730am-5pm daylight a bit more!!

26 ashley December 8, 2010

It is. Just this week it really started to bother me. SAD is no fun! But summers with seemingly never ending sunshine more than make up for it. :)

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

Yes the summers would be amazing Im sure :)
Do you know of anyone that uses those SAD light boxes? Ive always wondered if they work.

28 Bridget December 8, 2010

Yum! I have all the ingredients for this delicious drink in my house, so I may just have to make it tonight! Thanks for the recipe :)

I’m not sure if it’s a ritual, but I seem to enjoy successively larger cups of coffee in the morning as the days of winter go by. Coffee + Winter = Joy

29 Leanne December 8, 2010

waking up, putting on slippers/robe, sipping on hot tea, kissing my guy goodbye, snuggling with my cat on the couch —– getting ready for work!

It’s like clockwork… :)

30 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 8, 2010

Mmm…looks even more special in a martini glass.

My morning ritual is as follows:

Alarm goes off.
Snooze.
Alarm goes off.
Snooze.
Alarm goes off.
Snooze.
Curse mornings.
Alarm goes off.
Let out a loud NOOOO so that everyone in the building wakes up. If I’m up this early, they should be too.
Shower.
Repeat “I’m so tired” at least 20 times.
Work.

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

haha!!! Love that.

32 Kris | iheartwellness.com December 8, 2010

I love reading stories like this!! What a beautiful writer you are :)

Your breakfast looks and sounds delicious! Keep up the inspiration!

xxoo

33 Lauren at KeepItSweet December 8, 2010

i can’t believe you drink 8 cups of tea in the morning!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

Well 8 cups = 4 mugs…by noon…so that isnt so bad right?? lol

35 Lauren at KeepItSweet December 8, 2010

LOL if I could tolerate the caffien i’d be drinking that much coffee:-)

36 Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 8, 2010

WOO! You are brave for sipping on a smoothie in such cold temps! Does look good though… my morning ritual is similar to yours: hop out of bed without thinking about it, put water on for coffee, then I do any dishes left in the sink from the night before- this way, again, I don’t have to think about waiting for the coffee to steep. Once my coffee’s done and in my cup, the world is much, much better place ;)

37 Healthy Chocoholic December 8, 2010

Its sooooooooooo cold!!! I don’t know if I would have been brave enough to have a smoothie, but it sure does look tasty!

38 Lily's Health Pad December 8, 2010

It’s been in the 30s and 40s here. Not nearly as cold as Canada, but I have my morning warmth ritual down pat. It’s much like yours. There are layers of clothing and tea involved!!

39 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 8, 2010

Haha I SO relate to your winter morning routine! Mine is pretty much the same! Except I would have to say I’m probably a bit more like Eric in hitting the snooze a dozen times! :P

40 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 8, 2010

That looks so great – except I cannot do a smoothie in the middle of winter. It just WON’T happen! :)

41 LisaG December 8, 2010

Alarm @ 6:15-turn on weather channel-robe & slippers-wake up kids-let 3 dogs out-make coffee-holler at kids to wake up again-make breakfast-wrestle with dogs and feed them-kids to school-me to work by 8 ish.

42 faith @ gracefulfitness December 8, 2010

Sounds familiar, turn up the thermostat and head for the tea kettle!

43 Clare @ Fitting It All In December 8, 2010

This is such a beautifully written post! Your told the story of your morning with vivid imagery:)

Just voted again!!

44 Laurab @ foodsnobstl December 8, 2010

Love that you put that smoothie in a martini glass!

45 Lauren December 8, 2010

I love the thought of adding a date into a smoothie!

46 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 8, 2010

That smoothie sounds SO good! Cold… but good.

47 Stephanie December 8, 2010

hehe… this was such a fun post to read… until I got to… “The workday now begins.” hahaha. Something about “workday” brings tears to my eyes!!!

48 Tamara December 8, 2010

wow hard to believe down here in S. Georgia that it was only 3 degrees warmer(F) than in Canada!

On another note, I’ll be trying that smoothie tomorrow for breakfast….I wonder what would happen if you did heat it up? It almost sounds like it would be like a vegan version of egg nog then.

49 LisaG December 8, 2010

Where are you in South Georgia? I’m in Valdosta and it is really cold for here!

50 Tamara December 8, 2010

Savannah and it was 21 this morning and supposed to be 18 next week I think!

51 LisaG December 8, 2010

It was 24 here: and we’re about 15 minutes from florida, crazy cold.

52 Ashley (Taste For Healthy) December 8, 2010

This smoothie looks delicious… I must get up the courage to make it during this chilly time of year!

Haha… I love that Sketchie opened one eye and then went back to sleep! Sounds like a cat! :)

53 Traci December 8, 2010

I love the winter months just not the cold.Brrrrr. I find myself longing for warmer climates every morning I wake up and stick my feet from out under the blankets :) The smoothie sounds great I will have to give that a try. Stay warm :D

54 Red Deception December 8, 2010

-8C is considered warm weather here! We hit -48C a week ago! Want to come hang in the Northwest Territories?

55 thehealthyapron December 8, 2010

It hasn’t snowed here yet but the chill in the air is intense and makes me miss summer!

56 Lauren December 8, 2010

You inspired me to get up from my computer and make this LOL! I surprisingly had all the ingredients and just happened to be hungry :P Delicious!

57 Liz @ IHeartVegetables December 8, 2010

Wow that smoothie looks delicious! I love using frozen bananas in smoothies. (They give it such a creamy texture!) And I bet the coconut milk adds some great creaminess too!

58 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 8, 2010

Gah! I’m feeling like a total wimp now for cringing at 48* in the AM! I just REALLY hate the cold. I usually smack my alarm once, but I never quite fall back asleep during snooze, it’s more or less just a few more glorious minutes of warmth :/

59 Alyssa December 8, 2010

It may be -14ºC with the windchill here, but I could go for smoothies no matter what time of year! (especially when the recipe sounds as delicious as this one :D )

60 Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel December 8, 2010

Sounds pretty similar to my mornings, especially the dreaded snooze button – my husband uses it regularly but for me, once the alarm goes off, I’m just up.

Thankfully, we’re FINALLY getting new windows next week. Five years in the making – can’t wait!!

61 Jennifer P December 8, 2010

Do you boil the water for your tea/coffee? Green tea (and coffee) is best brewed with water at a lower temperature – you can actually get special kettles that let you choose the temperature range. Coffee tastes so much better (I use an Aeropress, that’s my personal favourite). The other benefit is that the tea/coffee is at a drinkable temperature sooner :) I bought my kettle from my friend’s tea shop (http://www.worldteahouse.ca/) but I’ve seen others available too.

62 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life December 8, 2010

One of the great things I’m finding about winter in Texas. The temps get down to a “bone chilling” 20F degrees in the mornings and warm up to the 40’s-60’s during the day… It’s particularly cold at 48F at 1.. I know, poor me. ;)

The good thing about it being so “cold” is that I don’t have to wake up early to take care of the horses. :) My client would rather work in the afternoon when it’s (usually) warmer, so winters I get to sleep in, wake up when I feel like (which is around 8) and relax in the mornings. :)

63 Embodying Freedom December 8, 2010

My apartment is freeeezing, so after I get up and put the coffee on, I crawl back into bed and read the news while I eat breakfast there. It’s sort of strange, but so comfy and warm.

64 AGS December 8, 2010

What do you think if you used all almost milk, and added a tablespoon of coconut oil? I have coconut oil on hand, usually, but rarely (ok, never) coconut milk. . . thoughts?

65 Emily December 8, 2010

It probably wouldn’t be as creamy- I’m pretty sure that cream of coconut (which is in full-fat coconut milk) and coconut oil are different things.

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

I don’t think it would turn out the same since the full fat coconut milk makes it so creamy. I typically dont care for coconut oil in my smoothie as I find I can’t notice it.

67 Andrea December 8, 2010

Yum! That smoothie sounds fabulous! I like the bedroom to be toasty warm and my hubby likes cool and somehow he seems to win out on this…so I wear big, thick fleece pajamas and I always have a pair of those big thick super soft socks to throw on as soon as I get out of bed! Then I go into the living room, turn up our gas fireplace and place my butt as close as I can without getting burned!! Then I run straight in to the bathroom for a super hot, LOOOOONG shower! By then I am usually starting to wake up and am nice and warm.

68 Emily December 8, 2010

I loved this post! Not only the recipe, but also the narrative style of it. Nicely done!

69 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 8, 2010

You should move to California! It is going to be 80 in a few days. I want it to be colder, but I think I would die if it were 17 degrees!

70 Lou December 8, 2010

Hi Angela, if I were you, and I do live in a freezing cold house too, so I sympathise deeply, I would run down and fill the kettle and hit the button half way through the bathroom rituals so it’s ready to go for when you get downstairs. The dash to the kettle will get your blood pumping too! Can’t wait to try the recipe and all fingers and toes crossed you make it through to the next round, have voted every week :)

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

thanks!!

72 Charlie December 8, 2010

That smoothie looks sooo good! Might have to brave the cold too :P. We just got our first big snow storm this week!

73 Errign December 8, 2010

My morning ritual is wake up, change out of pajamas, eat, get a hot earl grey tea on campus, go to class. I’m very exciting, obviously.

I wanted to tell you – I made your salt-kissed vegan pb chocolate chip cookies – they are awesomeeeeeee.

74 Nic December 8, 2010

I think I’m just the opposite of you. Waking up at 5:30am usually isn’t a problem for me… trying to stay awake later than 9pm the last couple of nights has been! Keep warm :)

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

lol i would stay up until 2am every night if I could!

76 Sarah Dean December 8, 2010

I totally get what you mean!!! -19 C here in Saskatoon today!!!!!! Can’t wait to try this smoothie!:)

77 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 8, 2010

cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, YUM!

love those flavors and the smoothie looks delish!

Morning rituals. This was a lot easier before I had a child as everyting seems so different, every DAY! haha! Rituals for sure include brushing my teeth, washing my face, checking my email and making sure there are no hidden doosies waiting to be opened and then a quick run/lifting session. Getting the kiddo up, breakfast, and making sure she’s happy and fed. And praying the day gets off to a good start :)

78 Alicia December 8, 2010

I love love banana smoothies!It’s great to have a more wintery version. Thanks for the great recipe!

79 Shanna December 8, 2010

I do everything in the same order every AM which usually means turning the coffee pot on at 630a but I do not enjoy it until 730a and do not eat my ritual oatmeal until 9a. I’m weird like that ;)

80 Emily December 8, 2010

I loved reading this, you took all those familiar morning feelings and beautifully expressed them! The smoothie looks tasty but I’m not sure if I could have something so chilly in the morning! I love those flavors though, it sounds kind of like banana bread in a cup, so I might have to try it… Next to a warm fireplace with a giant blanket though. :)

81 The Wife of a Dairyman December 8, 2010

I really like the idea of the banana spice smoothie, I’ll have to re-create one at my house:)
And did I read that temp right?! -8C?? Oh my!

82 linda December 8, 2010

I enjoyed this post so much! Your writing is so descriptive. I could feel the warmth of the covers, the shock of the cold air and even the look on Sketchie’s face. Thank you.

83 Moni'sMeals December 8, 2010

cold just looking at the pics.

But the drink changed everything! Sounds delicious!

Keep warm. :)

84 Sana December 8, 2010

I wear my winter jacket indoors just so that I can suck on ice. I am cray cray.

85 Tania (RunToRadiance) December 8, 2010

That smoothies looks amazing!!!!!

I love how animals can contort their little bodies. My dogs amaze me!!! Lol.

86 Heidi - Apples Under My Bed December 8, 2010

Loved reading your morning routine. Right now I wake up feeling groggy, as it is hot and muggy! I love the sound of this smoothie :)
Heidi xo

87 Jen December 8, 2010

I woke up to about 16degrees (C) here in Australia lol, and have NEVER woken up to a minus! the smoothie looks ultra yummy, but adding a butter of any sort to a smoothie??? really???

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

yessss nut butter is SO good in smoothies

89 Jen December 8, 2010

Also! how do you freeze bananas? chop seal freeze? or leave in thier skins whole??

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

I peel them and them pop the bananas into sealed tupperware & freeze :)

91 Cara Craves... December 8, 2010

Smoothie looks great, but I don’t think I would be brave enough to
drink it in the morning…way too cold for that!

92 Brittany December 8, 2010

I’ve been enjoying a smoothie almost every night this week and it’s been 20-30 F!! I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of Boloco, but they make fantastic smoothies (I always get the Jimmy Carter: banana, pb, and soymilk… vegan style from the original).
I’m just wondering though… when you say you put everything in to the blender do you have a regular blender or a vita-mix type one? The pictures always look so creamy… even the green monsters which have the fibrous greens in them!! What’s your secret!?

93 Tahina December 8, 2010

haha it’s 48c today ;) woohoo for australian summers!

94 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 8, 2010

I’m always afraid nut butter will just get lost in smoothies.. can you really taste it? My robe is right next to my bed for easy access, along with my slippers!

95 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 8, 2010

It was 14 here today and I thought I would never thaw out. I cannot imagine -8!

I wake up, hit snooze 10x (without remembering), finally wake up and see clock, mutter a string of 4-letter words ’cause I’m late for work (again), start the coffee, chug glass of water, and proceed to race through my shower-makeup-clothing routine. Grab coffee, breakfast (smoothie or greek yogurt), and sprint to my car.

I absolutely adore weekends and lesiurely breakfasts.

96 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 8, 2010

Winter mornings look like this in my house: 4:50am the alarm goes off, 5:30am workout at the gym, 7:00am- emails, coffee, breakfast and shower, 8:45am- leave for work. It def. isn’t the easiest to get up so early in the winter when it is freezing and still dark out, but I always feel totally caught up on life when 9am rolls around!

97 Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 8, 2010

Is staying in bed until the absolute last minute a ritual? I say yes! So… that’s my ritual :)

98 Blonde Ponytail December 8, 2010

You are an excellent writer—I could feel the cold air hitting my face! Thank you for sharing such a lovely smoothie recipe!! I love your blog!!

99 Melanie December 8, 2010

The smoothie sounds great! I have a question for you: is that a glass or plastic washable straw in your picture of the smoothie? I am trying to find a reusable straw because I don’t like what it does to the environment throwing away all those plastic straws; but haven’t been able to find an alternative. If it is a reusable straw–where did you get it? My husband and I have smoothies on a regular basis and it’s so much more fun to drink them with a straw…

Thank you for sharing all that you do. You are such an inspiration to me! Love your recipes (I have allergies to dairy, eggs and gluten so I find that I don’t have to adapt too much)…

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2010

yes it is a glass straw from Glass D’harma: http://www.glassdharma.com/straws.html :)

101 Melanie December 9, 2010

102 Tiffany December 8, 2010

Ah that is so cold! It’s been in the 70s here and even 80, 82. But this is our nice time of year. My morning ritual is still a lot like yours though! And that smoothie sounds so tasty!

103 Casey December 8, 2010

You just listed my absolute favourite spices to use in homemade nut milks or young coconut smoothies….so amazing! I’ll be sharing one next week funnily enough!
Hate to be “that person” but it’s so hot here it’s too much! worlds apart eh? :)

104 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 8, 2010

Yum! I love bananas and PB together! :)

105 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle December 8, 2010

omg I love banana pb smoothies!!!

106 Kari December 8, 2010

Why avoid pumpkin? Did I miss something?! I’ve been drinking pumpkin spice lattes without the espresso…and loving the rich cuppa cheer every morning.

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010

hehe im just sick of pumpkin after challenge #8 of PFB…I tested SO many pumpkin recipes!!!

108 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) December 9, 2010

Winter morning ritual = pray and wish that Saskatchewan would have its first “snow day” ever so that I can stay in bed.

109 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 9, 2010

This looks absolutely delicious. Almost like banana horchata!

110 Alaina December 9, 2010

My husband loves to keep the bedroom cold. I can’t stand it! It’s too cold!

But I’m definitely like Eric; I am allll about the snooze. It’s my friend. :-)

111 Allison December 9, 2010

I love your description of your morning ritual! I have a similar one that also includes using my favorite body lotion after my morning shower. Without that step, my day just isn’t the same. It’s the little things that keep me going! :-)

112 Wei-Wei December 9, 2010

During winter nights I always turn on my electric blanket, and even though you’re supposed to turn it off, I usually fall asleep… it’s actually not quite safe because a fuse could blow and there could be electrocution or a fire. :(

113 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes December 9, 2010

Banana’s and PB together are a match made in heaven!

114 Kristy H December 9, 2010

Smoothies are so great for breakfast and this one looks and sounds amazing. I might have to give my usual green monster a miss and try this instead – although i almost cant bear the thought of going one morning without a green monster. I made your ultra fudgey brownies and omg, they are to die for. Talk about ultra fudgey goodness! they taste like this chocolate pudding i have been making for years that had butter, milk and eggs in it. Thanks Angela, I am converted to vegan baking and even my fussy boyfriend loved them (who swore he would never eat spelt flour). Your a genius!

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010

that is great!

116 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 9, 2010

I have my sweater and sweatpants within arms reach of my bed too haha! Otherwise it would be nearly impossible to get me out of my nice cozy bed. ;)

My morning ritual is to wake up and immediately make coffee and breakfast, then slowly eat for the next hour as I read blogs.

117 Annie@stronghealthyfit December 9, 2010

Lovely post :-) That smoothie looks unbelievable.
Do you get permission to reprint recipes, or is it fine to just cite where you got it from if you adapted it? That’s what I’ve been doing and have done some research that says it is fine to do that, but I want to be sure!

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010

If you adapt/modify a recipe, it is fair game to re-publish. That is the general rule of thumb :)

119 Anne C December 9, 2010

Ohhh, what a fun post! Eric sounds just like my husband! He’ll hit that snooze button forever until he needs to get up. I would so much rather just have my sleep undisturbed until I have to crawl out from under the warm & cozy blankets.

That smoothie looks delish! I’ll definitely be trying that one soon! :)

120 Katie December 9, 2010

Beautifully written! :)

My winter morning ritual varies between the following two:

Ritual 1: Jump out of bed already wearing my workout clothes, throw on shoes, brush my teeth, grab the kitty and make a bed for her on the couch to watch me while I workout with Kinect EA Sports Fit.

Ritual 2: Hit snooze and immediately put the phones volume on low and right by my pillow, continue hitting snooze for the next hour hoping not to wake my boyfriend, while petting kitty whose bed is right by our bed.

121 Katie December 9, 2010

Sorry didn’t mean to hit “send” twice…

122 Cindy Robinson December 9, 2010

Ha, what a great idea, wearing your workout clothes already! Sometimes you just need that extra umph. I think I may try that!

123 Cindy Robinson December 9, 2010

Brrr, I will try not to complain about the cold here in Central Florida :) But glad to know that I’m not the only person making a smoothie while it’s so darn cold outside! And thanks for the cute narrative, I needed to get away, if only just for those few minutes.

124 Susan December 9, 2010

Great recipe! I made this for my breakfast this morning…I have been so sick with the flu (thankfully NOT the stomach flu), that I haven’t felt like eating much…but I am gulping this smoothie down as I’m typing! Hey, I can even smell/taste a few of the spices! Yippee! lol

125 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010

hope you feel better soon!

126 Susan December 10, 2010

Thanks!
I’m making this smoothie again this morning…it’s so good! :)

127 Helen December 9, 2010

I made myself a smoothie this morning. It was super easy. Frozen blueberries, strawberries, a whole banana and half a cup of mango juice. So delicious!! I know about cold. I’m in New England! I wake up and run for dear life to my robe and bundle up as I’m trying to wake up.

128 Liana @ femme fraiche December 9, 2010

Oh my gosh this looks glorious. My winter morning rituals include me running at high speed to get out the door in time to fight the commuter traffic, all the while praying to the gods to make my morning longer:( Yours sounds much more relaxing! hehe

129 Kelly December 10, 2010

YOU WON reader’s choice!!! CONGRATS!!!!! I seriously think you will win the whole challenge – how awesome!!!
Can’t WAIT to see your last post!! :o)

130 Anne December 10, 2010

I came to add my congrats as well!

One more challenge to go… good luck. :)

131 Tara December 10, 2010

I just saw that you won readers choice as well! I’ve only posted a couple times but have followed and loved your food buzz journey you are so gonna win! By the way I made your chocolate covered cookie dough balls the other day soooooo yummy!! Congratulations and thank you for all your inspiration!

132 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 11, 2010

thank you!! :)

133 Jennifer December 11, 2010

Just had the Banana Spice Smoothie this morning and it was so dang good….so. dang. good. Thanks!

134 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 11, 2010

glad u like it!!! Gosh I want one so badly right now haha

135 Ashley k December 12, 2010

Oh my gosh, I just made this after a quick spin session in my living room and HOLY YUM! Delish!

Thanks for sharing!!