Christmas in Alberta: Part 2

IMG_4185

IMG_2250

IMG_3553

IMG_3559

Eric wrapping our nephew’s gifts!

IMG_3561

IMG_3566

IMG_4141

Rudi and his catnip that got stuck on his tooth.

IMG_4494

Flashback five years ago to Christmas 2005…

DSC01998

DSC02005 DSC02000

2010:

IMG_2253

A lot healthier these days!

20101128-IMG_3842

This was before a dinner out on Saturday night to an Italian restaurant.

20101127-IMG_3611

I realized it was a bad choice not wearing an empire waist for that meal!

Then we were back in the kitchen once again with Timmy’s coffee in hand and recipes in the other.

IMG_4488

OSGMOM had a couple helpers…and I got to wear my new polka-dot apron from my sis.

IMG_4508

I made ultra fudgy brownies with spelt flour.

IMG_4518

I let someone lick the spoon when it was all over! :)

IMG_4525

Then we got busy on dinner.

IMG_4535

Mom made a regular mac ‘n cheese and then I made the vegan mac ‘n cheese.

IMG_4542

This time I doubled the sauce recipe and it turned out even better.

It was so good, I revised the original recipe!

IMG_4546

Everyone tasted it and said they couldn’t tell it didn’t have cheese in it. :) My mom actually preferred the vegan version and said she will make this from now on. We also agreed that the sauce would be wonderful over broccoli.

IMG_4568

We had a big sweets tray for dessert filled with Soft peanut butter cookies, ultra fudgy brownies, ultimate oatmeal raisin cookies, and other goodies.

IMG_4584

IMG_4603

Hi Pete :) (my brother in law)

IMG_4607

Then we opened a few gifts…

Rudi wanted to come home with us.

IMG_4616

IMG_4622

Sketchie had to put his foot paw down though.

Coming up, the hummus recipe my mom introduced me to that changed everything…

IMG_3552

I actually said the words, ‘I’ll never buy store bought again.’

I don’t joke around when it comes to hummus.

1 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 3, 2010

HOLY winter wonderland!!! Just beautiful!

You are absolutely glowing in the present day pictures…isn’t it fun to see transformations over the years?

2 Amanda (Eating Up) December 3, 2010

I love that picture from five years ago contrasted with the one now. Is it possible that you guys actually look younger in the one taken this year? Such a beautiful couple!

3 Erin December 3, 2010

I love your mac & cheese recipe! My hubby and sons are omnivores and they all said it was delicious. We have allergies to eggs, dairy and wheat in our house, so I made it with corn & quinoa elbow macaroni and rice bread crumb topping and added broccoli – it was a huge hit with the whole gang. This will be my go-to recipe from now on!

4 Leah December 3, 2010

WOW! Look at the difference in Eric! He must be so proud! You all DO look much healthier and happier!

5 Amy December 3, 2010

2 things:

1) The ladies of the OSG family are absolutely stunning.
2) What a difference in you and Eric. Way to go you two!

6 Lily's Health Pad December 3, 2010

Gah I’m such a cat lady. Rudi made this post for me!

7 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life December 3, 2010

You guys definitely look healthier and happier this day. You definitely do glow, ma’am. :) And your whole family is so beautiful!

8 Ashley December 3, 2010

Sooo cute!! Love the photos with family. I must say that cat is hilarious…SO FLUFFY!!! Still can’t wait to try the mac n’ cheese. Hopefully next week! Also can’t wait for my trip home in 2 weeks…wish the huz was coming with though!

9 amanda December 3, 2010

Both you and Eric look happier and healthier now! I adore that cat … so beautiful! And I can’t wait to see the hummus recipe. I’m OBSESSED with hummus.

10 Mastering Public Health (@MasPublicHealth) December 3, 2010

Gorgeous! What a beautiful picture of you two out in the snow. I am a longtime reader but it bears repeating that your blog is fantastic up and down: from your healthy outlook, to the photography, to the *awesome* baking (I’m a little biased) recipes — everything! You truly deserve to win Project Food Blog. :) Thanks for all your hard work.

11 Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel December 3, 2010

Is Eric the gift wrapper in the family? That’s one of those things that my husband is far better at than I am. I just don’t have the patience to make it look perfect. May also be that he’s had a full life of wrapping Christmas presents, whereas I grew up a Chanukah-ite and just celebrated my first Christmas four years ago :)

12 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) December 3, 2010

You and Eric are seriously the cutest couple ever. ;)

13 Gillian December 3, 2010

Such a gorgeous family!!!

14 Heather (Heather's Dish) December 3, 2010

how could you go wrong with extra “cheese” sauce? sounds like a fabulous dinner…and you look absolutely gorgeous (as always!)

15 Cathy Breit December 3, 2010

beautiful pictures! Hope you have the happiest of holidays!
love,
cathy b. @ brightbakes

16 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 3, 2010

I have to say that I think you look YOUNGER in the new pictures than in the one five years ago! Amazing what good health and happiness can do :) Excited for the hummus recipe…I’m chowing down on some as I type this!!

17 Madeleine @ Stepping to the Bright Side December 3, 2010

PLEASE lemme at that dessert tray!! And what a difference 5 years has made- I definitely see the glow. You guys look amazing :)

18 Allison @ Food For Healing December 3, 2010

christmas in the Prairies is the best! should have a saskatchewan christmas. tell your mom to move to Sask haha

the difference from the 2005 picture to the 2010 is craazy, you definitely look healthier and both have lost weight. Go Eric! thats forsure, very big change

19 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 3, 2010

Brownies and mac & cheese? That’s my kinda Christmas dinner :) You’re gorgeous in both pictures but you look so much more genuinely happy in the new ones!

20 Meredith December 3, 2010

I love these photos! It seems like your parents have created a really lovely home.

21 Meredith December 3, 2010

ps. let Rudi know I think he’s aged fabulously! 2005-2010 is like, 30 years in cat years! ;)

22 Shanna, like Banana December 3, 2010

You look FAB! Your family is just gorgeous and everything looks so cozy and welcoming. What a wonderful holiday =)

23 Jessica M December 3, 2010

You and Eric look great!

I want to give that kitty a big hug!

24 Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey December 3, 2010

Looking forward to the new hummus recipe! I haven’t purchased hummus in ages, I always make my own. But I’m definitely interested in a new take on a favorite of mine!

~

25 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 3, 2010

How fun! Gotta love family time :)
And you are GORGEOUS!

26 Tiffany December 3, 2010

Wow it really is quite a noticeable transformation. Actually what I noticed the most was how happy you look. Even though you’re smiling in the 2005 pictures, you don’t look truly happy like you do in your recent ones. You look so approachable, confident, and just…glowing! :)

27 Nicole @ yuppie yogini December 3, 2010

I love seeing the pictures from 5 years ago. Both you and Eric are slimmer and look healthier. It’s amazing how much can change in a short period of time.

28 Balanced Healthy Life December 3, 2010

You guys really do look much healthier now! I love those staircases in the background of the pictures! They are so fabulous!

29 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats December 3, 2010

Great photos – and as for hummus – ever since I made hummus from scratch a few years ago, I have not been able to buy it again (except when traveling and having no access to a kitchen). It is that good.

30 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 3, 2010

It looks like you had so much fun!!!

31 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 3, 2010

Looks like a great time! I am curious to see the hummus recipe! I love hummus, but store brand doesn’t do it for me sometimes!

32 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 3, 2010

Aww I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again: You and Eric are SUCH a cute couple! Everything looks amazing. I’m glad you had such a great time and I’m very curious to see this hummus recipe. :) Oh, and your polka dot apron is SO SO cute!

33 Ashley December 3, 2010

I love your vegan mac and cheese recipe its so good! Your photos are gorgeous as well. It looks like you had a good time. I’ll be waiting for that hummus recipe. Hummus = <3

34 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 3, 2010

I love your sister’s sequined dress! Also, Eric looks exactly the same as he did five years ago. So funny!

35 Paige (Running Around Normal) December 3, 2010

omg how hilarious is Rudi!? Love that cat!!
You look SO much like your sister in the picture from 2005. You’re beautiful in both!! :)

36 Lauren December 3, 2010

Lots like so much fun! P.S. Your Mom is stunning! :)

37 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 3, 2010

Aww you guys make such a beautiful couple! :) And your hair looks lovely curled!
Looks like you had an awesome time! Can’t wait for that hummus recipe! I would happily live off hummus…! :D

38 Lauren December 3, 2010

You guys look so happy in all the pictures. I love seeing all the happiness and holiday cheer!

39 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 3, 2010

Doesn’t it shock you to see old pics of yourself sometimes? I was looking at one last week and couldn’t believe how young I looked (I thought I was SO grown up at the time!). You look fantastic!

Hummus is my all-time favorite food. I can’t wait for your mom’s recipe!

40 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA December 3, 2010

Your mom actually said she preferred the vegan mac and cheese! That is a major vegan victory!

41 Tricia December 3, 2010

Hi Angela!
Great pictures! You and Eric look fantastic!
I really wan’t to make the vegan mac ‘n cheese to shock my ever skeptical boyfriend, but he is allergic to cashews…do you think anything else could be used? He’s allergic to all nuts except peanuts, pine nuts and almonds…

42 traci December 3, 2010

What a fun time and a beautiful family :) You really do glo. I’m glad you had a great trip!

43 Jenny December 3, 2010

your sister’s sparkly dress is FABULOUS!

44 Kath December 3, 2010

OMG RUDI!! xoxoxo

45 Moni'sMeals December 3, 2010

wow! Radiance and Health is what I see. :)

46 Noelle December 3, 2010

Oh I can’t wait to read about the hummus!

47 Healthy Chocoholic December 3, 2010

All of your pictureslook sooo professional!!!!!!!! Gorgeous! The food looks tasty, too! I’m glad you had a good time visiting your family!

48 Ashley (Taste For Healthy) December 3, 2010

Beautiful photos!! And you look so radiant & healthy in all of them! Looks like you had an amazing time!

P.S. I really love your necklace… it makes your face sparkle even more! :)

49 Camille December 3, 2010

You guys all look gorgeous all dressed up! It looks like a wonderful time :)

50 Amber K December 3, 2010

I’m addicted to hummus. A homemade version that’s worth it? I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m sure it’s there.

51 Alaina December 3, 2010

You look so happy and cute with Eric!! And I love that cat. Reminds me of my parents except different colors.

Glad you had a happy holiday!!

52 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 3, 2010

what beautiful photos, angela!!!

of your family, food, YOU, kitty, tim horton’s coffee :) and just the special times…gosh, I can feel the love and holiday spirit in this post!

have a wonderful weekend :)

53 Alicia December 3, 2010

Hummus should never be joked about. Looks like a fun time! Can’t wait for the hummus recipe :)

54 Gina December 3, 2010

Wow, Alberta, GA looks so beautiful! Especially this time of year.

Love your photos, you look stunning! So happy and healthy :)

55 Lauren December 3, 2010

Doubling the sauce? Genius!

56 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 3, 2010

Wow, what a difference between 2005 and now! It looks like you guys have aged in reverse. It’s amazing how good health and happiness can make such a difference in our appearances. :)

57 Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo December 3, 2010

You look gorgeous in that dinner pic! It’s a very pretty dress. I can’t wait for the hummus recipe; we made some over the Thanksgiving weekend, but I’m curious to see what yours has in it.

58 Cara Craves... December 3, 2010

It must be fun to be able to spread out your Christmas celebrations like that…
makes the season feel a lot longer.

Looking forward to the hummus recipe.

59 ronnie December 3, 2010

Great looking food, Angela! And you two look lovely in your photos- so happy and glowing! I’m actually having a party for my mom’s b-day soon and was wondering what to make for dinner. Any ideas? I’d like to make something that we don’t usually have or haven’t had before, but I want to make sure I’m making something that someone will definately recommend to me. I’m trying to find dinner and dessert. Ahhhh! What would you say about your mac n cheese or cheryl’s spinach cheesy pasta you’d posted before? Anyway, nice to see you had a good time!

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2010

Id go with the mac n cheese…it’s delicious!

61 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! December 3, 2010

I actually told my husband he’s not allowed to let me buy storebought hummus ever again! So far, it’s worked!

62 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 3, 2010

I loooove your apron!

63 Anne Marie December 3, 2010

Oh my goodness, I MISS TIM HORTONS! I’m from Buffalo, NY…this will be my first winter without TImmy Ho’s hot chocolate :( …until I go home to see my family! Great post, as always!

64 lindsay (goodiesgalore) December 3, 2010

Damn girl, you look smoking in that black dress!

65 Lisa December 3, 2010

Ok you, your mom, & sis look like the Barbie Christmas edition! So pretty.

66 stacey-healthylife December 3, 2010

Eric looks so much healthier and happier 5 years later. You to look very healthy and happy together.

67 Stephie December 3, 2010

YOU MADE IT THROUGH TO THE NEXT ROUND ON PROJECT FOOD BLOG! Congrats!!!!!!

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2010

thanks!!!

69 Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 3, 2010

Wow! Eric looks so much younger now! Go you two!!
Congrats on advancing to the next round in PFB!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Thanks for the heads-up, Stephie!)

70 Bronwyn Coyne December 3, 2010

OH so good. I really must try the vegan mac n cheese this christmas when I’m home. Hopefully the parents will want to eat some. heeheehee. :D

71 Andrea Bloomfield December 3, 2010

Your pictures are amazing Angela ~ my family lives 12 hrs away in KY, USA and I can’t wait to spend some holiday time with them in a few weeks! I tried the mac & cheese and I think’ll I’ll double the recipe next time as well. Can’t wait to hear about your hummus recipe….one of my fave foods of all time!

PS – congrats on making it through to the next round in the Project Food Blog – I think you have a really good chance of winning – Good Luck!!!

72 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle December 4, 2010

that mac and cheese looks amazing!!!!

73 Marina December 4, 2010

Everything looks so beautiful, and cozy! But you three girls are really stunning, and glowing with happiness!

74 Marie @ quarterlife quandary December 4, 2010

to echo everyone else- you are positively glowing with happiness- it’s so genuine and great to see! makes me so excited to go home over the holidays! :)

75 JL goes Vegan December 4, 2010

What a gorgeous holiday! I must try that mac and cheese. I’ve yet to make a vegan one (and love the idea of using the sauce over broccoli…which reminds me of a non-vegan broccoli casserole my mother used to make every holiday…maybe your cheese sauce can veganize it! Must try!

76 jen December 4, 2010

Beautiful pictures!!! Love the transformation from 2005 until now! You both look a lot happier :)

Jen

77 annelies December 4, 2010

What a feast! I especially loved you making vegan mac n cheese that outshined the regular. I too am a hummus fiend and find it’s so easy to make homemade (I like mine really lemony).

78 Casey Thomas December 4, 2010

Looks like you had a fabulous time! Hope the missing-the-family-blues pass soon!

79 Roz December 4, 2010

What wonderful photos. You and your husband do look healthier now. And Rudi? AWWWW!!!

80 Rachel (tea and chocolate) December 4, 2010

I love that kitty picture! Too much catnip, I guess. :) Looks like you and your family had a wonderful time.

81 Kim December 4, 2010

So excited to try the hummus!

I have been baking a lot of your cookies lately (tis the season) and had a question. When it asks for maple syrup is there anything else that you could substitute for it? maybe honey?

I so love your recipes! They are great because they do not make a ton of food and simple to create. Thanks so much for making my life easier :)

82 Chelsea @ LoveBugBites December 4, 2010

Love your christmas pictures!! they all look so beautiful. Hope you had a great time visiting with family, can’t wait till I get to visit mine!

83 Kim Dave December 8, 2010

OMG I finally got to make the Vegan Mac & Cheese and it is beyond amazing! Everyone couldn’t believe there was not cheese in it. I realized I didn’t have any lemon when I came to that part so I used a little less lime and added some water and I couldn’t tell any difference. Yummy! Thanks for making such awesomeness!

I have also been making lots of your cookie for the holiday season. They are so fantastic. I did have a question. When it calls for Maple Syrup is there something else I could sub for it. Maybe honey or Agave Nectar?

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010

ususally honey or agave work as subs, although they will change the flavour a bit :)