Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Greetings!

We are home safe and sound from Alberta and are running on little sleep.

I am downing French Press like the best of ‘em, but I’m not even sure this is going to save my lack of sleep. Time changes are always hard to adjust to, aren’t they?

I am also suffering from a bad case of I-miss-my-family-blues.

As I mentioned last week before I left to visit my family, I am featuring a holiday cookie special on the blog called ‘Favourite Vegan Holiday Cookies’ where I promised to show you holiday cookies with a wholesome, vegan twist.

holiday cookie

I’ve already showed you My Favourite Snickerdoodle…last week.

20101124IMG_32372

I will be making a list on my recipes page of all the holiday cookies that I make, so be sure to check that out.

I also made Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

20101126-IMG_3514b

Today I’d like to move to a cookie a bit more unconventional

First of all, it is a ball.

It is no bake.

It is dipped in chocolate.

It is vegan.

It contains no added sugar.

20101126-IMG_3423b

These are also adapted from my Glo Dough balls that I sold at the Farmer’s market this past summer.

This unexpected delight is the perfect holiday party appetizer to serve on a cute little tray, stuck with red and green toothpicks. I served something like this at my Ugly Christmas Sweater Party last December 2009.

I made these last week before I left for my trip and it took all my restraint to wait to blog about them.

The first thing I did when I got home from the airport last night was pop one of these bad boys out of the freezer and into my mouth.

I needed a chocolate fix.

And fast.

I shoved that cookie ball into my mouth and had a moment of sheer bliss as I stood in front of the freezer with my luggage in one hand and balls in the other.

Peace at last.

20101126-IMG_3423

20101126-IMG_3398

Process the oats and cashews until a fine crumble forms like above.

Now add in the flour, dates, and kosher salt:

20101126-IMG_3402

Process until fine.

20101126-IMG_3404

Now add in the pure maple syrup and vanilla. A ball will form.

20101126-IMG_3406

Now add in the chopped chocolate and process until incorporated. Alternatively you can stir this in a bowl if the mixture is too sticky for your processor.

20101126-IMG_3412

Shape into balls and stick with a toothpick!

20101126-IMG_3413

They already taste delicious, but we must dip them in chocolate.

20101126-IMG_3414

This is 1/3 cup melted dark chocolate.

20101126-IMG_3422

Dip half way and place on the parchment.

20101126-IMG_3423

Now freeze the balls for 1 hour to set. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve immediately.

20101126-IMG_3442

These have a nutty flavour thanks to the cashews and spelt flour and a great texture thanks to the chunks of chocolate. They taste like a healthier cookie dough that is wholesome but won’t give you the dreaded sugar crash. They don’t taste exactly like cookie dough, but they are delicious anyways.

And perfect straight out of the freezer.

Mmmmm.

20101126-IMG_3427

The other day, my nephew asked me, ‘Auntie Angie, why do you take pictures of your food?’

I stopped and laughed for a moment and thought about my strange ways.

I also realized that I had turned into the token weird Aunt. I knew it was bound to happen.

20101126-IMG_3450

I looked at him eagerly awaiting my reply and said,

‘Because taking pictures of my food makes me happy….just like you do.’

And then I distracted him with a cookie.

It worked for now, but there will be many more questions and I need to think of answers.

I think I shall go clean out my freezer now.

1 Kace December 2, 2010

….wow. Yes. I wish there was a way to make these non-vegan but I guess with the raw-egg factor it’s not a great idea. Hmmm…time to get creative : )

2 rhonda December 2, 2010

What would be the advantage of making these non vegan? Not trying to be mean, I just don’t get the point.

3 Kace December 2, 2010

Oh I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend anyone!!!! I just meant, since I’m not a vegan, I was wondering if I could make them with more traditional cookie dough. That’s all! Sorry again!

4 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 2, 2010

Bad flights certainly require a treat! Maybe I will make these to ease the pain of flying tomorrow :)

5 Amanda (Eating Up) December 2, 2010

I love the red and green toothpicks. What a festive touch! It’s all about the details, right?

6 Allison @ Food For Healing December 2, 2010

Mmm cookie dough, so craving that now.

7 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 2, 2010

A few months ago I dipped chocolate chip cookies into chocolate and determined one thing – it was so rich and delicious that I actually ended up eating LESS. Best diet trick ever.

8 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 2, 2010

Oh Ange, you never cease to amaze me with your vegan baking skills. At first glance, I thought the cookie dough balls were STUFFED inside dates….those would’ve been humongous dates :)

9 Bridget December 2, 2010

Omigosh those are the BOMB! I love cookie dough. Especially dipped in chocolate! Although I basically like anything dipped in chocolate haha ;)

10 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day December 2, 2010

At Thanksgiving, with a camera strapped around my neck, I got the question about 5 times. My answer: Food is pretty :)

As are your cookie dough balls!

11 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 2, 2010

Okay, those are the prettiest balls I’ve ever seen (ha)!! Too cute! These would be PERFECT for any holiday party!

12 Roz December 2, 2010

Great answer Auntie Angie!!!! Kids are so cute….

13 Jenny December 2, 2010

I know this is really really immature, but I’m tired and wasn’t concentrating properly, and kind of skipped over half of one of the sentences, so the only bit I read was:

“and had a moment of sheer bliss as I stood in front of the freezer with my luggage in one hand and balls in the other. ”

Hehehehehehe.

They look really delicious!!! It’s a pity I don’t have a clue if I can get most of the ingredients where I live (Japan!)

14 Anna December 2, 2010

Hahaha, that line made me snigger too!

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2010

I wondered if anyone would catch that!

16 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 2, 2010

Those look so good! Mmm…! :)
Haha I always get asked why I’m taking photos of food! And strange looks from everyone else! :P

17 Kath December 2, 2010

These look great Ange!!!!!!

18 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 2, 2010

These look delicious!! I think distracting your nephews with food is a good enough way to stop the questions for now hehe :) I’m glad you had a safe trip home!

19 Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 2, 2010

Mmmmm… cookie balls on a stick! “Weird aunt”- hehehe I love it, I got looks from adults at Thanksgiving dinner… I guess they didn’t have the gusto of a young child to ASK why ;)

20 Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 2, 2010

You just took this recipe OVER THE TOP!!!

21 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 2, 2010

That looks very tasty and easy. Any time chocolate is layered upon chocolate, it’s a good day, yes?

22 Ashley December 2, 2010

Oh my gosh!! Awesome! These would be a great gift to fill a large mason jar with…I have a slight obsession with mason jars. :)

23 traci December 2, 2010

And to the kitchen I gooooooo :D You never can go wrong with chocolate chip cookie dough!

24 lindsay December 2, 2010

those cookies make me happy too! Simple and easy and GOOD! Anything dipped in chocolate is good, right? Hope you get to bed early tonight. Rest up friend. :)

25 Wei-Wei December 2, 2010

MMmmmmmmmmm. That looks divine! I was looking at Joy the Baker’s dough balls earlier today, too. Nom nom nom.

26 Tiffany December 2, 2010

YES! YES! YES! I need these!
Haha about being a weird aunt! Just wait until you have kids! My kids wonder why I take pics of food too. I just told them it is because some people don’t know how to cook healthy things and I like to show them. At least you don’t take pics of people eating the food, that is never appreciated. Who doesn’t like looking at pics of delicious healthy food!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2010

haha I know…not many ppl like getting their pic mid bite.

28 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life December 2, 2010

Those look amazing!

29 Katie December 2, 2010

you are funny! good call on distracting the small people with cookies… works every time!

30 stacey-healthylife December 2, 2010

I love it and I’m making it for sure. I love dough balls.

31 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 2, 2010

Oh my goodness! Wish just a few substitutions (raw oat flakes, almond meal for spelt flour, and coconut oil for EB) these could be RAW cookie dough balls. They look AMAZING. I may have to try these when I get home from chef school (either that, or break into the kitchen and use their stuff to make them!).

32 Alicia December 2, 2010

Now these look amazing! Can’t wait to try them out :)

33 Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 2, 2010

Oooh I have been looking for some vegan cookie dough to munch on ever since I saw it mentioned somewhere a while back- so this will be perfect! Plus, it is a real snack instead of a snack that was supposed to be something else, so I won’t feel weird about eating it hehe ;) Thank you!!

34 grocery goddess jen December 2, 2010

Angela, I know you’re happily married, but…please consider marrying me and making me no bake cookie dough balls. You can feed them to me straight from the freezer.

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2010

bahaha

36 Ashley (Taste For Healthy) December 2, 2010

These look delicious!! I love cookie dough! :)

37 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 2, 2010

Love these!! I will be adding them to my Christmas cokies list!! Do they stand up, not frozen? Like if I was to give them in a little gift box?

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2010

The balls would but I am not sure the chocolate would stay firm…I guess it would depend on the chocolate you used!

39 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 2, 2010

I made something almost EXACTLY like this the other day – only mine was dipped all the way in chocolate. :)

40 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 2, 2010

a no sugar added nutty chocolatey dessert?! you may be a genius. :)

i am beginning to relalize that being the “weird” (inesrt title here) goes with the territory. ha!

41 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA December 2, 2010

Oh man these look incredible. I love date-sweetened desserts, they’re so delicious and they definitely don’t need added sugar.

42 Healthy Chocoholic December 2, 2010

Oh my!! Those look fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t WAIT to make these.

43 Embodying Freedom December 2, 2010

I might need to throw a holiday party just so I can serve these! Because we all know that just me + 25 chocolate chip cookie dough balls is probably a bad idea :)

44 Balanced Healthy Life December 2, 2010

I think I need to make these this weekend! They look great! I love the festive colored toothpicks for the holidays! You never miss any detail! : )

45 Melissa December 2, 2010

“…I had turned into the token weird Aunt.” Haha, I’m sure there are worse things to be remembered as!

These look devine… perhaps some peanut butter mixed in would be a nice addition?!

46 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 2, 2010

These are perfect for what I’ve been looking for – I wanted to make a no-sugar added cookie for my diabetic grandparents when I visit over Christmas and this sounds perfect!

Kids sure do have a funny way of putting you on the spot…I remember once one of my third grade students asked me why Barbie and I had boobs but she and Dora the Explorer didn’t…that was an interesting one to answer ;)

47 Kathryn December 2, 2010

How do you think these would be after sitting out for a few hours? We have a “trough” at work (nice name huh). These seem like a nice treat to bring in, but people graze and probably would tend to snag a few over the course of a day. What do you think? Would they get too soft?

48 Ashley December 2, 2010

These look delicious! And don’t worry everyone loves the weird aunt.

49 Trish December 2, 2010

Wow, these sound as good as they look – fabulous! I love how they’re no bake and vegan. These would go over well with kids too! Yum

50 Amy December 2, 2010

Have you seen the SNL episode with Alec Baldwin and his “schweaty balls”

hehehe.

Balls.

51 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious December 2, 2010

Yum. i love that you can eat them straight out of the freezer! i get sad when i leave my fam too and start planning the next visit…skype helps :)

52 Jessica December 2, 2010

These remind me of my mom’s buckeye balls that she always makes at christmas. I make a similar recipe but I’ll give yours a try too. They sure would look cute as a gift in a decorative tin!

53 Dee December 2, 2010

These look amazing! And um… chocolate dipped chocolate cookie dough balls? Hello! ;)

54 Bronwyn Coyne December 2, 2010

Yum! Looks delicious. And seeing the other pics reminds me I want to make your snickerdoodles.

55 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle December 2, 2010

I would like 500 of these please ;-) they look delish!!

56 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 2, 2010

Oh yum! And they’re no bake? Score. Now I just need a food processor since I know my blender won’t pulverize cashews.

57 Lauren December 2, 2010

Adding these to my holiday to bake list asap. Yum!

58 Sarah for Real December 2, 2010

Those look like “Buckeye Balls” which are a popular cookie made with peanut butter insides and the chocolate dipped outside. They’re named after the acorn things dropped by the Buckeye Tree in the south I think.

Up here in the northwest we call the tree a Horse Chestnut tree… but “Horse Balls” just don’t sound that appealing to name a cookie.

59 Noelle December 2, 2010

Off the hook recipe. So delicious!!! Great idea.

60 Kelly@rahraw December 2, 2010

Wow, these look amazing! I’m trying not to have tooo many grains or sweets, but these would definitely hit the spot for a special treat! Also, wanted to let you know that I’ve added you to my blogroll so I can keep up to date with all your great stuff! :)

61 Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) December 2, 2010

Bookmarked and favorited — thank you very much! :)

62 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen December 2, 2010

These look delicious!!!

63 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe December 2, 2010

These look delicious Angela! I have the hardest time finding dates where I live – any ideas for substitutions? My husband would die from happiness if I made these:)

Also, I made several of your recipes for Thanksgiving – the pumpkin brownie cupcakes, sweet potato casserole and maple quinoa dish. My family loved it all, and they’ve all been begging for recipes which I happily provided. I love that I can come to your site and know I’m going to get a good recipe that everyone will love. Thanks!

64 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 2, 2010

I love the looks of the balls dipped in chocolate!!! YUM!!!

Seems so many bloggers have recipes for balls and bites and raw dough creations (me included) and I love that yours is an “old recipe”…18+ months old and it’s stood the test of time. Love that you have tweaked it up by dipping them in chocolate…ahhh, you’re such a smart cookie to do that :) Everything is better with chocolate!

No bake, vegan, no added sugar….all the better :)

65 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 2, 2010

Mmmm…I should bring these to my holiday christmas party!

66 Meg December 2, 2010

Yay! Non baked cookies. I can’t wait to try these. I already tried a couple of your cookie recipe’s (and last night the Banana Apple Coconut Curry) and they never fail to wow me. :)

I’d be so thrilled if you can do a Vegan Gingerbread cookie.

67 AGS December 2, 2010

Awhile ago, I worked with an education program in Saudi Arabia. I used to get gifts of dates in all manner of form. Two years ago, upon reminiscing about Saudi Arabia (well, the dates, anyway), I made the following for Christmas (I’d say the holidays, but really, they were all gone by the end of Christmas).
1. Stuff dates with walnut pieces and candied ginger
2. Dip half of each stuffed date in white or dark chocolate
3. Roll dates in finely chopped nuts/candied ginger/coconut

There was one delightful confection I got that somehow incorporated lemon zest with the dates and some white chocolate. . . but I just remember it tasted great, but can’t really recall how the confectioner had put those little toothesome packages together!

68 Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 2, 2010

These look delicious!!! I love this vegan cookie feature because as I am slowly converting to a vegan diet, it is nice to be able to enjoy some of my favorite treats :)

69 Lindsay December 2, 2010

I love this! They look incredible!! I have to tell you I was a faithful reader of your blog up until August and then I got pregnant and I couldn’t stand the sight of food, which made me VERY sad! But I’m over the nausea and back! I made your pumpkin gingerbread for my in-laws for Thanksgiving and they told me I should open a bakery…LOL!

70 Mary @ Bites and Bliss December 2, 2010

You take something incredible and dip it in chocolate…you’re amazing. :)

71 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) December 2, 2010

Oh my yum! I wish you were my “weird aunt” so you could make me all of these delicious cookies. I need to put these on the list of things I want to bake for the holiday season-including your pumpkin cinnamon rolls!

72 Camille December 2, 2010

Those look like… sheer perfection :)

73 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 2, 2010

I’ve always wondered about the use of cashews in raw treats… can they just be replaced by almonds or is there something special about cashews that makes them important in the recipe?

74 Moni'sMeals December 2, 2010

bliss….:)

75 Cara Craves... December 2, 2010

Thanks for sharing a no-bake treat!
I appreciate it with my lack of an oven.

Quick question…
Is there a suitable substitute for dates?
Dates don’t exist in my neck of the woods.

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2010

Probably just add more sweetener (maple syrup), but you might have to add a bit more dry ingredients, im not sure.

77 Shanna, like Banana December 2, 2010

Those are perfect! So cute, so good I bet =)

I’m sorry you’re missing your family. I totally understand =(

78 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 2, 2010

I was looking for a present to give a friend at a Secret Santa exchange on Saturday. These dough balls may be THE gift! :)

79 Logan December 2, 2010

They look really good, Angela. I did have to laugh because when I was reading your post, I noticed that the Foodbuzz advertisement to the right was for Butter! Hilarious!

80 Amanda (Sweet and Savory Vegan) December 2, 2010

I am definitely taking these to my family Christmas cookie extravaganza. Thanks for sharing your recipe; I just might have to try out a test batch before the holidays.

81 Sarah December 2, 2010

Yum :)

82 Gypsy December 3, 2010

mmmmmm
Angela – I was going to ask you: every christmas my mom used to make these amazing rice crispy peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate. Well, I had them a couple years ago, but my adult taste buds just didn’t appreciate the high sugar cheap peanut butter non-vegan taste anymore.
You wouldn’t happen to have a vegan recipe for this would you? I think it’s right up your alley…..
Think about it….could be next week’s cookie….;)

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2010

mmm we used to eat those too! Im sure it wouldn’t be too hard to make a bit healthier either.

84 Gail December 3, 2010

I’ve got a neighborhood holiday party to go to next weekend, and I have to make a dessert. I wasn’t looking forward to baking and I wanted to make something new, so now I have the perfect dessert to bring with me. Thanks!

85 Lauren at KeepItSweet December 3, 2010

what a great twist on the cookie dough balls! these look so delicious

86 V December 3, 2010

Hello Angela,

I’ve been enjoying your blog for a while now. I want to make the Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake, and I have a question; in your recipes you always mention ‘cups’, what size is that? How much?
Thank you in advance.
Keep on blogging! :-)
Kind regards from the Netherlands!

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2010

its 250ml :)

88 Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life December 3, 2010

I am SOO excited to try these!!! What a great idea!

89 Christina December 3, 2010

Never had raw cookies before. But I guess these are worth a try;).

90 Laura December 3, 2010

How essential are the cashews? Could they be left out?

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2010

i hope to experiment more with this recipe and i might try it without next time just to see :) will report if i do

92 Caroline December 3, 2010

Alllll i want to do is go on a baking spree instead of studying for exams. Argh!

p.s. I recently wrote an article about why I don’t read magazines anymore, and cited your blog as great inspiration for getting past the poor health habits that magazines encourage. You can check it our here – http://carolinegarrod.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/why-i-dont-read-magazines-anymore-part-ii/
keep up the great work and keep making super-fabulous cookies! :)

93 Coco December 3, 2010

These are my favourite cookies to date! But anything with maple syrup gets my stamp of approval.

94 Kate @ Walking in the Rain December 3, 2010

Your balls look lovely.

Yay! I have most of those ingredients at home! I’m going to give these a try, I love cookie dough and chocolate. Its win win.

95 Gloria December 3, 2010

I raced home from work to make these yesterday – oh my, delicious! I could not stop eating the dough pre-dip in the chocolate bath, and then I couldn’t stop eating them out of the freezer later that night… Needless to say, I LOVED THEM! ….and there should be a lock on my freezer with some sort of tester to ensure I am not suffering from a cookie-induced high in order to open.

96 Liana @ femme fraiche December 4, 2010

hahah what a perfect housewarming treat it sounds like. These are definitely book-marked by the way. No sugar and no bake? They sound like perfection

97 kayleigh December 7, 2010

i have a nut allergy and was wondering what i could use as a substitute for the cashews and dates? these look absolutely amazing and i would love to try them.

98 Lyss December 13, 2010

Do you think I could sub the spelt flour for peanut flour? I have some from Trader Joe’s that I’d like to use, and I am a peanut butter addict so it just seems right…

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 13, 2010

I’m not sure, I havent used PB flour before! My guess would be that it might not hold together as well? Is it more crumbly?

100 Lyss December 14, 2010

Honestly I haven’t even opened the package yet – but I will tomorrow, and will let you know how it goes! Thanks!

101 Lyss December 16, 2010

Ok, so I used 1/2 cup peanut flour + 1/4 cup WW flour (didn’t have spelt and it’s not particularly easy to find near me) and you were right, it was more crumbly. I ended up adding an addition tablespoon of maple syrup. They were yummy and peanutty. I may try them with all peanut flour, but may need to add more dates or perhaps a big spoonful of nut butter to help bind it without adding more syrup. Thanks – definitely a keeper!

102 marian December 21, 2010

Made these tonight – they were AMAZING! cant wait to eat them allllll week long :)

103 angela December 31, 2010

wow, these are delicious! and they got rave reviews from the boyfriend too :)

104 Kristy April 13, 2012

Wow I can not get enough of these!!! I’m newly vegan, and these are incredible to combat cravings! I love them, and I’m sure they’ll always be in my freezer : )

105 Jen May 4, 2012

I made these today using dried cherries (1/2 cup), almonds, a scant 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and a little almond meal with the flour. Those are the ingredients I had on hand. I arrived at 1/2 cup dried cherries by squeezing about a tablespoonful to the size of a date, and measured 5 of those to equal (approximately) 5 dates. They are delicious, even my husband loved them. I’ll make them again according to your recipe, as I love dates and cashews but didn’t have them in the pantry today. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

106 Melissa June 1, 2012

I think if I am going to be making more of your recipes, I need a better food processor! lol

107 Jessica July 6, 2012

Can you substitute the pure maple syrup with something else? or omit it? It’s just I have all the other ingredients except that and I don’t want to go out to the store in this heat lol.

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012

Hmm good question! Do you have another liquid sweetener like agave? If so, use that. Otherwise you will have to increase the sugar by a couple tbsp and also add in a bit of liquid until the consistency is right. Maybe a touch of almond milk?

109 Jen July 25, 2012

I made these and they are delicious!! I used 100% white whole wheat flour because that’s what we had on hand… I’ll try spelt flour next time. After years of consuming pounds of raw cookie dough, I can say that these come very close to the taste, AND they are healthy. The cashews lend a buttery flavor, unlike other nuts. We store them in the freezer and pop one in the mouth for a quick snack. Thank you!

110 Lori November 4, 2013

Wow. These are utterly amazing. They rocked my world. So good. What I love about Ange’s recipes is that I can eat healthy vegan food and never feel deprived. I can’t wait for the cookbook.

111 Rachel February 21, 2014

Like all your recipes I’ve tried but was surprised how similar these taste to real cookie dough. I don’t care for maple so I used agave. LOVE this recipe!

112 Shannon December 19, 2014

Would love to try this recipe, but need to omit the cashews due to a nut allergy. Is there something else I can use or use more of?