Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Greetings!

We are home safe and sound from Alberta and are running on little sleep.

I am downing French Press like the best of ‘em, but I’m not even sure this is going to save my lack of sleep. Time changes are always hard to adjust to, aren’t they?

I am also suffering from a bad case of I-miss-my-family-blues.

As I mentioned last week before I left to visit my family, I am featuring a holiday cookie special on the blog called ‘Favourite Vegan Holiday Cookies’ where I promised to show you holiday cookies with a wholesome, vegan twist.

holidaycookie thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

I’ve already showed you My Favourite Snickerdoodle…last week.

20101124IMG 323721   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

I will be making a list on my recipes page of all the holiday cookies that I make, so be sure to check that out.

I also made Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

20101126IMG 3514b   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Today I’d like to move to a cookie a bit more unconventional

First of all, it is a ball.

It is no bake.

It is dipped in chocolate.

It is vegan.

It contains no added sugar.

20101126IMG 3423b thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

These are also adapted from my Glo Dough balls that I sold at the Farmer’s market this past summer.

This unexpected delight is the perfect holiday party appetizer to serve on a cute little tray, stuck with red and green toothpicks. I served something like this at my Ugly Christmas Sweater Party last December 2009.

I made these last week before I left for my trip and it took all my restraint to wait to blog about them.

The first thing I did when I got home from the airport last night was pop one of these bad boys out of the freezer and into my mouth.

I needed a chocolate fix.

And fast.

I shoved that cookie ball into my mouth and had a moment of sheer bliss as I stood in front of the freezer with my luggage in one hand and balls in the other.

Peace at last.

20101126IMG 3423 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

20101126IMG 3398 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Process the oats and cashews until a fine crumble forms like above.

Now add in the flour, dates, and kosher salt:

20101126IMG 3402 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Process until fine.

20101126IMG 3404 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Now add in the pure maple syrup and vanilla. A ball will form.

20101126IMG 3406 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Now add in the chopped chocolate and process until incorporated. Alternatively you can stir this in a bowl if the mixture is too sticky for your processor.

20101126IMG 3412 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Shape into balls and stick with a toothpick!

20101126IMG 3413 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

They already taste delicious, but we must dip them in chocolate.

20101126IMG 3414 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

This is 1/3 cup melted dark chocolate.

20101126IMG 3422 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Dip half way and place on the parchment.

20101126IMG 3423 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Now freeze the balls for 1 hour to set. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve immediately.

20101126IMG 3442 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

These have a nutty flavour thanks to the cashews and spelt flour and a great texture thanks to the chunks of chocolate. They taste like a healthier cookie dough that is wholesome but won’t give you the dreaded sugar crash. They don’t taste exactly like cookie dough, but they are delicious anyways.

And perfect straight out of the freezer.

Mmmmm.

20101126IMG 3427 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

The other day, my nephew asked me, ‘Auntie Angie, why do you take pictures of your food?’

I stopped and laughed for a moment and thought about my strange ways.

I also realized that I had turned into the token weird Aunt. I knew it was bound to happen.

20101126IMG 3450 thumb   Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

I looked at him eagerly awaiting my reply and said,

‘Because taking pictures of my food makes me happy….just like you do.’

And then I distracted him with a cookie.

It worked for now, but there will be many more questions and I need to think of answers.

I think I shall go clean out my freezer now.

Kace December 2, 2010

….wow. Yes. I wish there was a way to make these non-vegan but I guess with the raw-egg factor it’s not a great idea. Hmmm…time to get creative : )

rhonda December 2, 2010

What would be the advantage of making these non vegan? Not trying to be mean, I just don’t get the point.

Kace December 2, 2010

Oh I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend anyone!!!! I just meant, since I’m not a vegan, I was wondering if I could make them with more traditional cookie dough. That’s all! Sorry again!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 2, 2010

Bad flights certainly require a treat! Maybe I will make these to ease the pain of flying tomorrow :)

Amanda (Eating Up) December 2, 2010

I love the red and green toothpicks. What a festive touch! It’s all about the details, right?

Allison @ Food For Healing December 2, 2010

Mmm cookie dough, so craving that now.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 2, 2010

A few months ago I dipped chocolate chip cookies into chocolate and determined one thing – it was so rich and delicious that I actually ended up eating LESS. Best diet trick ever.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 2, 2010

Oh Ange, you never cease to amaze me with your vegan baking skills. At first glance, I thought the cookie dough balls were STUFFED inside dates….those would’ve been humongous dates :)

Bridget December 2, 2010

Omigosh those are the BOMB! I love cookie dough. Especially dipped in chocolate! Although I basically like anything dipped in chocolate haha ;)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day December 2, 2010

At Thanksgiving, with a camera strapped around my neck, I got the question about 5 times. My answer: Food is pretty :)

As are your cookie dough balls!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 2, 2010

Okay, those are the prettiest balls I’ve ever seen (ha)!! Too cute! These would be PERFECT for any holiday party!

Roz December 2, 2010

Great answer Auntie Angie!!!! Kids are so cute….

Jenny December 2, 2010

I know this is really really immature, but I’m tired and wasn’t concentrating properly, and kind of skipped over half of one of the sentences, so the only bit I read was:

“and had a moment of sheer bliss as I stood in front of the freezer with my luggage in one hand and balls in the other. ”

Hehehehehehe.

They look really delicious!!! It’s a pity I don’t have a clue if I can get most of the ingredients where I live (Japan!)

Anna December 2, 2010

Hahaha, that line made me snigger too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2010

I wondered if anyone would catch that!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 2, 2010

Those look so good! Mmm…! :)
Haha I always get asked why I’m taking photos of food! And strange looks from everyone else! :P

Kath December 2, 2010

These look great Ange!!!!!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 2, 2010

These look delicious!! I think distracting your nephews with food is a good enough way to stop the questions for now hehe :) I’m glad you had a safe trip home!

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 2, 2010

Mmmmm… cookie balls on a stick! “Weird aunt”- hehehe I love it, I got looks from adults at Thanksgiving dinner… I guess they didn’t have the gusto of a young child to ASK why ;)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 2, 2010

You just took this recipe OVER THE TOP!!!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 2, 2010

That looks very tasty and easy. Any time chocolate is layered upon chocolate, it’s a good day, yes?

Ashley December 2, 2010

Oh my gosh!! Awesome! These would be a great gift to fill a large mason jar with…I have a slight obsession with mason jars. :)

traci December 2, 2010

And to the kitchen I gooooooo :D You never can go wrong with chocolate chip cookie dough!

lindsay December 2, 2010

those cookies make me happy too! Simple and easy and GOOD! Anything dipped in chocolate is good, right? Hope you get to bed early tonight. Rest up friend. :)

Wei-Wei December 2, 2010

MMmmmmmmmmm. That looks divine! I was looking at Joy the Baker’s dough balls earlier today, too. Nom nom nom.

Tiffany December 2, 2010

YES! YES! YES! I need these!
Haha about being a weird aunt! Just wait until you have kids! My kids wonder why I take pics of food too. I just told them it is because some people don’t know how to cook healthy things and I like to show them. At least you don’t take pics of people eating the food, that is never appreciated. Who doesn’t like looking at pics of delicious healthy food!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2010

haha I know…not many ppl like getting their pic mid bite.

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life December 2, 2010

Those look amazing!

Katie December 2, 2010

you are funny! good call on distracting the small people with cookies… works every time!

stacey-healthylife December 2, 2010

I love it and I’m making it for sure. I love dough balls.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 2, 2010

Oh my goodness! Wish just a few substitutions (raw oat flakes, almond meal for spelt flour, and coconut oil for EB) these could be RAW cookie dough balls. They look AMAZING. I may have to try these when I get home from chef school (either that, or break into the kitchen and use their stuff to make them!).

Alicia December 2, 2010

Now these look amazing! Can’t wait to try them out :)

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 2, 2010

Oooh I have been looking for some vegan cookie dough to munch on ever since I saw it mentioned somewhere a while back- so this will be perfect! Plus, it is a real snack instead of a snack that was supposed to be something else, so I won’t feel weird about eating it hehe ;) Thank you!!

grocery goddess jen December 2, 2010

Angela, I know you’re happily married, but…please consider marrying me and making me no bake cookie dough balls. You can feed them to me straight from the freezer.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2010

bahaha

Ashley (Taste For Healthy) December 2, 2010

These look delicious!! I love cookie dough! :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 2, 2010

Love these!! I will be adding them to my Christmas cokies list!! Do they stand up, not frozen? Like if I was to give them in a little gift box?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2010

The balls would but I am not sure the chocolate would stay firm…I guess it would depend on the chocolate you used!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 2, 2010

I made something almost EXACTLY like this the other day – only mine was dipped all the way in chocolate. :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 2, 2010

a no sugar added nutty chocolatey dessert?! you may be a genius. :)

i am beginning to relalize that being the “weird” (inesrt title here) goes with the territory. ha!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA December 2, 2010

Oh man these look incredible. I love date-sweetened desserts, they’re so delicious and they definitely don’t need added sugar.

Healthy Chocoholic December 2, 2010

Oh my!! Those look fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t WAIT to make these.

Embodying Freedom December 2, 2010

I might need to throw a holiday party just so I can serve these! Because we all know that just me + 25 chocolate chip cookie dough balls is probably a bad idea :)

Balanced Healthy Life December 2, 2010

I think I need to make these this weekend! They look great! I love the festive colored toothpicks for the holidays! You never miss any detail! : )

Melissa December 2, 2010

“…I had turned into the token weird Aunt.” Haha, I’m sure there are worse things to be remembered as!

These look devine… perhaps some peanut butter mixed in would be a nice addition?!

Faith @ lovelyascharged December 2, 2010

These are perfect for what I’ve been looking for – I wanted to make a no-sugar added cookie for my diabetic grandparents when I visit over Christmas and this sounds perfect!

Kids sure do have a funny way of putting you on the spot…I remember once one of my third grade students asked me why Barbie and I had boobs but she and Dora the Explorer didn’t…that was an interesting one to answer ;)

Kathryn December 2, 2010

How do you think these would be after sitting out for a few hours? We have a “trough” at work (nice name huh). These seem like a nice treat to bring in, but people graze and probably would tend to snag a few over the course of a day. What do you think? Would they get too soft?

Page 1 of 3123»