My Favourite Snickerdoodles

20101124-IMG_3241

I have always loved Snickerdoodles, but it occurred to me today that I have never made a vegan version before.

A Snickerdoodle is a type of sugar cookie that is rolled in cinnamon sugar and has a beautiful crackled surface. They are often over-looked when it comes to cookies, but I just love their simplicity and short ingredient list.

You can make Snickerdoodles crisp or soft depending on your preference and you can also determine their thickness with an adjustment to the temperature of the dough before cooking. If you bake the dough at room temperature the cookies will be flatter and spread out more, but if you bake the dough when it has been chilled in the fridge the cookies will remain thicker and more pillowy.

holiday cookie

This Vegan Snickerdoodle is the first cookie in my Favourite Vegan Holiday Cookies feature. From now until the end of the holiday season, I will be featuring a new vegan holiday cookie at least once a week. If you have any suggestions for cookies you would like to see, let me know. I won’t be able to get to all of them, but I will try to make popular requests! :)

Shall we begin?

20101124-IMG_3227

There are not many ingredients at all in these cookies! Very easy to throw together.

20101124-IMG_3171

I also made a mini-batch because sometimes you just want a handful of cookies and not enough to feed the entire neighbourhood. ;)

However, you can easily double or triple this recipe should you wish.

Cream together your Earth Balance (or butter), sugar, and vanilla…

20101124-IMG_3174

Beat in the 1/2 flax egg…

20101124-IMG_3178

Add dry ingredients…and stir.

20101124-IMG_3179

It will look something like this. Now get in there with your hands and squish it all together!

20101124-IMG_3182

Form a slightly flattened ball and cover with plastic wrap.

20101124-IMG_3183

Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Chilling the dough results in a slightly thicker and more pillowy cookie. However, if you don’t mind flatter Snickerdoodles you can bake them right away. The cooking time might differ slightly though.

Make your cinnamon sugar.

20101124-IMG_3191

I reduced the sugar a lot in this recipe and I got away with it because I knew the cookies would be rolled in cinnamon sugar. There is no sense in making a super sweet cookie when you will be rolling it in sugar. The result was PERFECT too!!

After chilling, roll into 10 balls.

20101124-IMG_3199

Roll in cinnamon sugar.

20101124-IMG_3204

Flatten slightly with a fork.

20101124-IMG_3209

Easy!

20101124-IMG_3212

Now bake for 10-12 minutes at 375F. I baked mine for 10.5-11 minutes and the result was a crispy edge and a soft middle.

20101124-IMG_3236

I am in love with the slightly crunchy edge and soft centre and light cinnamon flavour.

20101124-IMG_3214

These Snickerdoodles are definitely in my top 5 cookies of all time!

20101124-IMG_3237

What are your favourite holiday cookies?

1 Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey November 24, 2010

I love, love, love Snickerdoodles! My favorite recipe takes Crisco… which, yuck.
Going to have to try these. :)

~

2 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 24, 2010

Snickerdoodles were the first kind of cookie I ever baked by myself — I was 11 I think? Cinnamon + sugar is one of my favorite flavors in anything. These look wonderful!

And I love the sexy red bow tying them together. Ha!

3 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 24, 2010

We love snickerdoodles! They are my husband’s favorite cookie. So tasty.

4 Karrole Valentine October 10, 2014

My hubby can’t stand ’em, LOL.

5 Mara @ What's For Dinner? November 24, 2010

Beautiful!!

6 Becca November 24, 2010

Oh yum! I’ve always overlooked them because I assumed they were peanutty. Will definitely have to try these.

7 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle November 24, 2010

I adore snickerdoodles….will be trying these!!!

8 AGS November 24, 2010

The cream of tartar helps give it the unique flavor — if you remove it, the cookies taste like plain sugar cookies.

9 Des August 28, 2015

Baking powder is a combination of cream of tartar and baking soda in a 2:1 ratio. You could sub it out in this recipe, but you would still need extra baking soda.

10 LISA November 24, 2010

I LOVE snickerdoodles. One of my favorite cookies. For some reason, they are hard to make for me.

11 Rachel Seys November 24, 2010

Will you pretty*pretty*pretty please do a Vegan cut-out recipe…along w/vegan frosting!?!? This is my 2nd Christmas as a vegan and have yet to find a yum cut-out recipe. Esp w/a good vegan food coloring!

12 tina November 24, 2010

yummy, love me some snickerdoodles!!!!

13 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 24, 2010

Yum! Those look good. One of my friends love snickerdoodles so I will have to make these for her. I would love to see a chocolate chip cookie recipe. My family and I always make chocolate chip cookies for “santa” and I am always looking for new healthy vegan recipes for them.

14 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 24, 2010

So cute! I think these are far more exciting than the once-intended sugar cookies! My favourite holiday cookie is one that my mum and I have been making since I was little – it’s sort of like gingerbread but it has some other spices in it and comes out nice and soft. Oh.. and the dough is verrry tasty too! :D

15 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen November 24, 2010

Oh wow – these look soo good!

16 Sonja November 24, 2010

Angela, your post made my day! Two weeks ago my mother gave me a vegan cookie book for my birthday. A few hours ago I flipped through it and came across a recipe called “City Girl Snickerdoodle”. I´m from Germany, so I didn´t know what a snickerdoodle could be… All i know is a “Snickers” chocolate bar but I couldn´t imagine a “snickerscookie”. Your post was here before I could google snickerdoodle ;-)

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

glad to help!

18 Healthy Chocoholic November 24, 2010

Oh wow! Those are some yummy-looking cookies!!!! Can’t wait to bake some of my own!

19 Julie @SavvyEats November 24, 2010

These look beautiful–and delicious!

20 Lauren November 24, 2010

Mmm, those look yummy! :) I love classic gingerbread cookies the best I think!

21 Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace November 24, 2010

I love…love…love snickerdoodles but my all time favorite holiday cookie are peanut butter cookies.

22 SB November 24, 2010

Hi Angela

I was just wondering if you ever froze batches of desserts or meal recipes and your advice on that….I’d like to do make ahead things, but the last batch of desserts I froze didn’t really turn out….

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

I freeze quite a few things. I always double wrap the baked good in plastic wrap (pulling it tightly as possible) and then I put them in a freezer safe container before putting them into the freezer. It seems to work well.

24 traci November 24, 2010

You have out done yourself once again :) Will be making these ASAP!

25 Shanna November 24, 2010

I too love snickerdoodles! Also love the hershey kiss thumbprint cookies =)

26 Charlie November 24, 2010

You’re snickerdoodles look delicious! Anything cinnamon sure makes it to my favorite list! I also made candy cane cookies with hershey kisses that were quite good :).

27 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 24, 2010

have a crisp edge with a soft centre and they are a breeze to throw together = MY kind of cookie!!!

In h.s. I used to work in the mall. Next to a Mrs Field’s cookie store. Not sure if you Canadians have those but basically cookies that are defi NOT health food…but dang they taste good :) Anyway, I used to LOVE their snickerdoodle cookies b/c they are soft in the middle w/ a little hardness on the edge. And anything w/ butter and cinny/sugar, I am totally into :)

Great recipe, Angela!

28 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 24, 2010

Oh this is wonderful!! Snickerdoodles are some of my favorite cookies but I’m always terrified to veganize recipes. I can’t wait to try these!!

29 Bronwyn Coyne November 24, 2010

Those look so amazing. I’m going to have to try them asap.

I love ginger chew cookies, and sugar cookies. Biscotti is always a great choice as well for the Holidays.

30 Stacie November 24, 2010

Umm…yes, please!! Thank you for making this into a vegan cookie. I loved snickerdoodles as a kid and will be making these ASAP as the ingredients are so basic and ones that are typically on hand. BTW….love your print button feature! Oh….and in case I haven’t told you enough how much I loved your pdf file of the vegan thanksgiving—priceless, thank you, you’re the best! ;)

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

aww thanks! Glad u enjoy

32 Camille November 24, 2010

I loove snickerdoodles! But for me, nothing beats a frosted sugar cookie at the holidays!

33 Heather @ Side of Sneakers November 24, 2010

Snickerdoodles are my all time fave- I never really thought of them as a holiday cookie though! Yummmm!

34 kell November 24, 2010

i dont know that i’ve ever had snickerdoodles, but those look so yummy! . . . my favorite is the Linzer cookies (with the raspberry jam) ummmmmm – i would love for you to healthify those!! happy holidays!!

35 Gina November 24, 2010

Hi Angela! Great snickerdoodle recipe! I actually don’t believe I’ve ever had a snickerdoodle! Crazy, right? But they sound delicious!

Quick question:

I am making your Pumpkin Pecan Brownie Pie and was wondering if I should bake the brownie layer before putting the pumpkin and pecan layer on? Also, I see on your recipe it says to scoop 2 tbsp of the brownie mixture into the pan. I’m assuming that was only for the cupcakes and for the pie you add all of the brownie mixture to the pan?

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

Thanks for reminding me I need to fix that on my pdf!!!
It should say the entire lot…not just 2 tbsp :)

Also you bake it all at the same time

37 Gina November 24, 2010

Thanks so much :)

38 Fanta November 24, 2010

Just when I think it couldn’t get any better… you post this! Thanks :)

39 Amber K November 24, 2010

Awww, I MISS snickerdoodles! My grandma used to make some amazing ones, soft and chewy, super moist. Yum.

40 Nicole November 24, 2010

You need to do a post on your food photography skills! You’ve always had great pictures, but it seems more recently that they have been really breath-taking!

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

lately I have been doing two things:

1) using a tripod

and 2) turning off the yellow lights

I also shoot in RAW, use a macro lens, and use adobe lightroom :) its fun!

42 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious November 24, 2010

love snickerdoodles…your recipe looks great! going to add this to my oh she glows recipes to make. i’m looking forward to your sugar cookie recipe too.

43 Judi November 24, 2010

these look soooo yummy! I have tried a couple of your recipes (apple strudel cake and mini cinnamon chocolate cupcakes) my husband had no clue they were vegan. He loved them! BTW flax eggs are an amazing invention!

44 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 24, 2010

I’ve never had snicker doodles before but this look delish!

45 briana November 24, 2010

YUM!

I don’t have earth balance and I don’t want to use butter. ANy suggestions? Would flax or oil work?

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

not sure…worth a shot perhaps

47 Paula November 24, 2010

No, you need some kind of solid fat for cookies – butter or shortening. If you use just flax it would turn out something like a weird sweet cracker. And if you use oil it would turn out kind of like crumbly pie dough, which might be a fairly tasty creation! :) but they wouldn’t cookies. After all, its that unique texture that makes a cookie a cookie and not a cake or a scone! Solid fat creamed with sugar + flour = cookie! :)

48 Ella November 24, 2010

Looks SO good..maybe I’ll have to make these along with the two other types of cookies I’ve made this week lol.

49 Lauren November 24, 2010

Please give us a great Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe (without PB!)

My favorite vegan cookies of all time are the ones at Whole Foods bakery… Vegan Almond cookie, Vegan Coconut Nut Cookie, Vegan Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie and Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie. If you can replicate any of those bad boys, I will worship the ground you walk on eternally :)

ps. I ADORE your blog!

50 Melissa November 24, 2010

Yum! I’m looking forward to making some cookies with my kids soon. We may have to include snickerdoodles in our baking. They are a classic and very good. The main feature for us is sugar cookies, which are simple and so fun to decorate. :)

51 Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 24, 2010

I made snickerdoodles for the very first time this year and LOVED them!! They’re so chewy and perfect. :)

52 Melissa @ I Never Imagined November 24, 2010

Oooooh yummy!! I’ve never heard of Snickerdoodles before, but now it’s on my looong list of OSG recipes that I can’t wait to try :)

53 Tiffany November 24, 2010

Those look great! Snickerdoodles are my daughters favorite cookies of all time.

54 stacey-healthylife November 24, 2010

So pretty. :)

55 Cara Craves... November 24, 2010

Those look so lovely :)
Anything with cinnamon is a winner in my books.

56 Lee November 24, 2010

For a really long time, I thought Snickerdoodles had Snickers in them. I have to admit, I was kind of bummed when I found out that they didn’t!

57 carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream November 24, 2010

These look super yummy! I might have to give this a try this holiday season. It seems like a similar method to a ginger molasses cookie I make but this would be milder in flavour…. Now I have plans of making both and making an amazing cookie tray!

Yum, thanks for sharing!

58 Emily November 24, 2010

Snickerdoodles!! I love them, too, and don’t make them nearly enough!! I wonder why that is? I now have a good excuse to make them this Christmastime!!

59 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA November 24, 2010

Snickerdoodles are my mom’s favorite (well, that and molasses). Last year I made a bunch of Mexican wedding cookies that were amaaazing. I also love almond-flavored cookies, those seem to be a seasonal treat.

60 Dee November 24, 2010

I love, love, love Snickerdoodle cookies! Sugar cookies come in at a close second. ;)

61 Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life November 24, 2010

These cookies looked so good, I had to make them tonight! They’re delicious! Mine turned out a bit fluffier than yours. I think maybe because I used just baking soda, I don’t have any cream of tartar.

62 Cynthia November 24, 2010

I absolutely love snickerdoodles. Love this recipe!

63 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 24, 2010

I have vivid memories of eating snickerdoodle dough right out of the freezer as a kid! :)

64 Stefanie November 24, 2010

Yummy! Snickerdoodles are my favorite cookies. I’m a cinnamon lover and this cookie satifies my cinnamon cravings. The last snickerdoodle I had was right out of the freezer and it was really good. Thank you for this recipe.

65 Lauren November 24, 2010

Those Snickerdoodles look awesome!
My request…
OMG pleeeeeease vegan cut-outs with frosting! Making cut-out Christmas cookies = best holiday memories!

66 Jessa November 24, 2010

Where can you buy Earth Balance? Does Loblaws have it?

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

Yes they do :)

68 Jessica November 24, 2010

These look great! My favorite cookie is Espresso Chocolate Chunk cookies! They’re rich and chocolaty and go perfectly with a hot cup of coffee.

69 Charis Brown Malloy November 24, 2010

These look scrumptious! I’ll have to figure out a gluten-free version – snickerdoodles are my FAVORITE cookie!

I’ve just stumbled upon your blog and love it – it’s nice to “meet” a fellow vegger!

70 Coco November 24, 2010

I’ve never has a snickerdoodle before or even heard of one. I feel so out of the loop. So, I’ll definetely be making these bad boys!

71 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 24, 2010

My favourite holiday cookies are shortbread cookies. They’re loaded with butter and sugar, but worth every bite. :D

These look really good too. I love anything cinnamon flavoured!

72 Sara November 24, 2010

Can I come live with you for the next month? I’ll clean up, just feed me cookies. Wait, scratch that, cleaning up after you probably involves every single thing in the whole kitchen being dirty, every single day. :P

…OK I thought about it again and I’ll still do it. Feed me. ;P

73 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' November 24, 2010

I love Snickerdoodles! And I love that the recipe is for a small batch– large batches are bad news in my house! (I’ll eat them all before I have a chance to give them away!) ;)

Thanks for sharing!

74 Livvie November 24, 2010

Can you make smores cookies Angela :) Thanks!!
And these look deeeeliisssh!

75 Amy November 24, 2010

These look lovely!
My fave cookie is Ginger cookies with the crystalized candied ginger baked in!
Perfect with a cup tea :)

76 Ashley @ the fit academic November 24, 2010

Snickerdoodles are totally one of my all-time favorite cookies! I rarely make them, but when I do – I have a secret family recipe that is absolutely to die for! I’ve never tried a vegan version before either, but that’s something I should consider!

77 Rebecca November 24, 2010

I love Gingerbread Men and Shortbread or anything with ginger, cinnamon and all spice, really I just love cookies.

I have never had Snickerdoodles before, but, they look easy to make.

78 Alaina November 24, 2010

I just made a great batch of snickerdoodles for a bridal shower! Mine were light and pillow-y. :-)

79 Sierra November 24, 2010

Not sure if you are all pumpkin’d out, but I hope you’re not cuz: my mom used to make pumpkin cookies once a year and they were amazing! do you think you could make a pumpkin cookie recipe for me? Pretty please?

80 Robin November 24, 2010

These sound great!
My favorite cookies of all time are called Monster cookies from a local bakery here. Basically, they have oatmeal, PB, and M&M’s…soo YUMM.
I recently took a different take on this and made Monster Cookie Bars – and boy oh boy did they turn out awesome! However they weren’t completely vegan because the recipe I based the bars on called for condensed milk and I couldn’t think of how to get around that. I have also made Oatmeal PB Chocolate chip cookies that rocked, but again not all vegan. I’d love to see your take on this awesome combo!

81 Maria @ runningcupcake November 25, 2010

I made snickerdoodles the other week for the first time. IN the uk a snickers bar is a chocolate bar with peanut and caramel, so I always thought they were to do with that. But when I read the recipe andrealised they were cinnamon I went for it- delish! I love carrot cake cookies for something unusual :)

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2010

that’s what Eric thought it was too!!

83 Robin November 25, 2010

Great recipe – thanks! Now I can save some of the money I’ve been spending buying these from Liz Lovely!

84 Foxy November 25, 2010

Looks great Angela! Please could you give us your twist on a “healthed-up” peanut butter cookie? My mom used to make the sugary-buttery version when I was a kid which I adored, but would love to try a healthier version!

85 Krystina (Basil & Wine) November 25, 2010

Mmm, I love snickerdoodles!

86 Peggy November 25, 2010

I love Snickerdoodles! This recipe sounds fantastic and look forward to the other cookies you have in store!

87 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans November 25, 2010

My favorites are gingerbread cookies. They just scream Christmas!!

88 Faith @ lovelyascharged November 25, 2010

I havent had them in ages but I love snickerdoodles! This sounds deeeelish!

I dont know if this is a holiday cookie, but I’m a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie girl all the way!

89 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 25, 2010

I made your Carrot Cake Cookies last night… then had to make another batch because they were so good. Definitely trying these next!

My favorite cookie of all time is a bacon chocolate chip cookie. Not too vegan-friendly though! ;)

90 Maureen PLuthero November 25, 2010

I also love snickerdoodles do you also make the chocolate ones. I am wanting to make a vegan version of a traditional holiday cookie this year depending on how you know them they are called Empire biscuits or Belgian cookies. Two sugar cookies held together with jam then iced and either a small pc of cherry or a little silver ball on top. Delicious

91 Moni'sMeals November 25, 2010

Wow, I think you got me on these, not usually my favorite but reading the ingredients I will try them out.

My fav holiday cookies are hands down my chocolate chip shortbread cookies and my peanut butter and chocolate balls dipped in white chocolate. :)

92 Wendy November 25, 2010

Ok, I have a pan in the oven as I type this. Kid critics will be home from school soon. Super easy to make and I left all the stuff out for them to help make another batch! Coffe and coco will go nice along side too! Thanks!!!

93 Wendy November 25, 2010

Ok just had one and it was yummy. I DID substitute with baking powder for cream of tartar and they were fine.

94 Suzie November 25, 2010

This is kind of unrelated, but I’ve been reading for a few months, but totally missed all of September & your trip to Paris (due to lack of internet!) So I don’t know if you mentioned this, or know about it…but thought you would like to know if you didn’t!

95 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2010

yes I did see that!

96 manou November 25, 2010

I didn’t know snickerdoodles before, but they look amazing !! I have to make some soooon :)
It would be great to see some x-mas cookie dough balls on your blog – maybe with some chocolate & cinnamon & toasted almonds inside :)

97 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 27, 2010

I really like shortbread!

I have used a chia egg, but not a flax egg … do they work equally well?

98 The Robertsons of Mumbai November 27, 2010

Quick question – after “1/2 flax egg” in the ingredient list, you note the ingredients for the flax egg. Is the amount you specify = to 1 flax egg (and so therefore, we need to half that), or is that the amount to make 1/2 flax egg which is needed for the recipe?

Thanks so much! I look forward to trying these!

Jennifer

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2010

the correct amount is in the recipe, so nope no need to half it!

100 Cherie November 28, 2010

In response to your question about subbing baking powder for the baking soda and cream of tartar, yes, you can do that in general. 1 teaspoon baking powder = 1/4 teaspoon baking soda + 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar. I was originally thinking that it would be simple to plug in 1 teaspoon of the baking powder to replace the soda and cream of tartar in this recipe, but then I noticed the amounts are reversed. So, maybe in this case it’s best to stick with the recipe as written ;-).

101 Paige November 30, 2010

I made these cookies last night, and although i didn’t flatten them out with a fork enough they turned out delicious! crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and not too overpowering. delicious! :)

102 May Cookie Co. December 1, 2010

I love just about anything with the great smell and flavor of cinnamon. This is the perfect cookie to launch us into December and the start of holiday baking!

103 megan @ blackberries for jam December 2, 2010

Thank you so much for this recipe! My husband’s favorite cookies are snickerdoodles and I’ve never found a vegan recipe for them that has worked. I made these the other day and they are PERFECT! Looking forward to your other cookie recipes!

104 kayleigh December 7, 2010

i would love love love a vegan buckeyes recipe!!

105 Abby December 22, 2010

Made these with the baking powder… turned out beautiful. These have become my favorite holiday cookie…
Thanks!

106 Brittany August 16, 2012

These were delicious, I left out the cream of tartar all together and I did not press them down and they turned out soft and slightly chewy, very good!

107 SarahF April 6, 2013

I tried these cookies about 10 days ago. I have not had much success baking cookies in the past, and I was not sure that these would turn out very well. To the contrary! I am now on batch #4! My family can’t get enough of these delicious cookies! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. :-)

108 Sam April 10, 2013

My daughter declared snickerdoodles her favorite cookies last Thanksgiving…I was looking for a vegan version and just made a batch of these. They were a big hit! She said they are just like the non-vegan ones if not better (better for me bc these are healthier :) So glad I found your site. Thanks!

109 Shanna May 20, 2013

Oh my god! I made these tonight and they came out perfect! Perfectly pillowy and soft with crispy edges. I am so happy!! These are delicious!

110 Maggie August 1, 2013

Thanks for this great recipe! I just made these, following your recipe to the letter, and they turned out really well — so delicious and exactly as you described: crisp on the inside and a bit chewy inside. Mine weren’t quite as picture perfect as yours… guess I’ll have to make them again soon to practice! ;)

111 Maggie August 1, 2013

Oops, I meant crisp on the *outside*.

112 Crystal August 7, 2013

I’ve recently switched to an all-vegan diet, and I love your blog! I can’t wait to try these cookies out, but isn’t white sugar refined with bone char? Would beet sugar be a good substitute?

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 8, 2013

Hey Crystal, Look for organic cane sugar – that’s what I use or you can sub any granulated sugar of your choice I assume.

114 Kara November 10, 2013

These are delicious! I did try the baking powder version because I didn’t have any cream of tartar on hand (I used 3/4 tsp. baking powder) and they turned out great.

115 Neha November 19, 2013

I tried replacing the cream of tartar with baking powder and it did NOT work! They ended up being extremely dry and crumbly on the outside and totally uncooked on the inside. Huge mistake on my part.

116 Rachel December 6, 2013

I just made these for my kids Christmas party at school, and they are delicious! The best part is my kids absolutely loved them. Thanks for the great recipe!

117 Meredith December 11, 2013

I made these with gluten free flour and 1/4tsp xantham gum and they turned out AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

118 Elaina December 3, 2014

Thank you for sharing info about gluten free! I would love to make these!

119 Noemi Tirado December 12, 2013

I just made these and they are absolutely delicious! I used coconut oil because I didn’t have earth balance, and replaced the baking soda and cream of tartar with baking powder. The result was great, they have crispy edges and soft middles. They are just as good (if not better) as any non-vegan recipe. They were super easy to make and I love that the recipe doesn’t make too many. They will go along perfectly with my secret Santa gift ;] Thank you!

120 Margaret December 29, 2014

I was searching and almost to the end of these posts when, thank goodness, I found yours stating that coconut oil replaces butter just fine. Thanks!

121 Abbey December 24, 2013

I made these and the dough was extremely crumbly, so I was unable to press the balls down with a fork. I didn’t substitute anything and followed the recipe exactly. They tasted alright though.

122 Jess February 8, 2014

I made these for a friend who is vegan and they were a huge hit with everyone! In fact, my non-vegan friends (and myself) were all astounded that they are so darn addictive and delicious AND completely dairy-free!

123 Ally February 8, 2014

I just made these and I made them gluten free :) it was so simple to make and they turned out amazing!!

124 Jackie April 24, 2014

I would like to make these, but they need to be gluten free. How would I go about that?

125 Emily June 24, 2014

Would substituting the earth balance butter for crisco butter shortening work? My local grocer doesn’t carry Earth Balance products

126 Sabrina Marie July 16, 2014

Hi! I got impatient while making these. Well actually I got extrememly hungry SO I decided to not wait to refridgerate the dough and replaced the cream of tartar with 1/8 tsp baking powder, THEY TURNED OUT PHENOMENAL! THANK YOU SO MUCH

127 Michelle November 23, 2014

I have been making these every year since you posted the recipe! Best Christmas cookie ever!

128 Jen December 2, 2014

Just made these, and they are AMAZING. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

129 Shelly December 6, 2014

Hi. I’ve never made snickerdoodles before. I decided to try your recipe. I have a question. The dough seems very dry/crumbly to me compared to cookie doughs I’m used to. Is this the way its supposed to be? When I go to push them down with the fork, they break apart and I have to piece them back together. And they don’t ‘grow’ like your did. They stay the size I rolled, then mashed them. Did I do something wrong?

130 AMBER January 7, 2015

Thanks for posting this. My brother has been extremely ill and is on a super strict diet. He misses sweet treats sooo much. He has to be dairy free and sugar free. I’m going to try this receipe and use half smart balance, half coconut oil, and for sweetener I will use a mixture of monk fruit and stevia. I will let you know if it is worth trying.

131 Christine January 17, 2015

i used a banana in mine. Waiting for them to come out now!!

132 Nicole December 17, 2015

I used baking powder to substitute the cream of tar tar and baking soda and it was divine! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe :) Happy holidays and Merry Christmas!!

133 Marie December 22, 2015

This is my first vegan Christmas and my dad loves the snickerdoodles that I make almost every year. I made a double batch of your veganized recipe and they turned out so nicely, I’m not going to tell him that they’re vegan!

134 Cathleen January 19, 2016