My Favourite Snickerdoodles

20101124IMG 3241 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

I have always loved Snickerdoodles, but it occurred to me today that I have never made a vegan version before.

A Snickerdoodle is a type of sugar cookie that is rolled in cinnamon sugar and has a beautiful crackled surface. They are often over-looked when it comes to cookies, but I just love their simplicity and short ingredient list.

You can make Snickerdoodles crisp or soft depending on your preference and you can also determine their thickness with an adjustment to the temperature of the dough before cooking. If you bake the dough at room temperature the cookies will be flatter and spread out more, but if you bake the dough when it has been chilled in the fridge the cookies will remain thicker and more pillowy.

holidaycookie thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

This Vegan Snickerdoodle is the first cookie in my Favourite Vegan Holiday Cookies feature. From now until the end of the holiday season, I will be featuring a new vegan holiday cookie at least once a week. If you have any suggestions for cookies you would like to see, let me know. I won’t be able to get to all of them, but I will try to make popular requests! :)

Shall we begin?

20101124IMG 3227 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

There are not many ingredients at all in these cookies! Very easy to throw together.

20101124IMG 3171 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

I also made a mini-batch because sometimes you just want a handful of cookies and not enough to feed the entire neighbourhood. ;)

However, you can easily double or triple this recipe should you wish.

Cream together your Earth Balance (or butter), sugar, and vanilla…

20101124IMG 3174 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

Beat in the 1/2 flax egg…

20101124IMG 3178 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

Add dry ingredients…and stir.

20101124IMG 3179 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

It will look something like this. Now get in there with your hands and squish it all together!

20101124IMG 3182 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

Form a slightly flattened ball and cover with plastic wrap.

20101124IMG 3183 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Chilling the dough results in a slightly thicker and more pillowy cookie. However, if you don’t mind flatter Snickerdoodles you can bake them right away. The cooking time might differ slightly though.

Make your cinnamon sugar.

20101124IMG 3191 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

I reduced the sugar a lot in this recipe and I got away with it because I knew the cookies would be rolled in cinnamon sugar. There is no sense in making a super sweet cookie when you will be rolling it in sugar. The result was PERFECT too!!

After chilling, roll into 10 balls.

20101124IMG 3199 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

Roll in cinnamon sugar.

20101124IMG 3204 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

Flatten slightly with a fork.

20101124IMG 3209 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

Easy!

20101124IMG 3212 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

Now bake for 10-12 minutes at 375F. I baked mine for 10.5-11 minutes and the result was a crispy edge and a soft middle.

20101124IMG 3236 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

I am in love with the slightly crunchy edge and soft centre and light cinnamon flavour.

20101124IMG 3214 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

These Snickerdoodles are definitely in my top 5 cookies of all time!

20101124IMG 3237 thumb   My Favourite Snickerdoodles

What are your favourite holiday cookies?

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey November 24, 2010

I love, love, love Snickerdoodles! My favorite recipe takes Crisco… which, yuck.
Going to have to try these. :)

~

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 24, 2010

Snickerdoodles were the first kind of cookie I ever baked by myself — I was 11 I think? Cinnamon + sugar is one of my favorite flavors in anything. These look wonderful!

And I love the sexy red bow tying them together. Ha!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 24, 2010

We love snickerdoodles! They are my husband’s favorite cookie. So tasty.

Karrole Valentine October 10, 2014

My hubby can’t stand ‘em, LOL.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? November 24, 2010

Beautiful!!

Becca November 24, 2010

Oh yum! I’ve always overlooked them because I assumed they were peanutty. Will definitely have to try these.

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle November 24, 2010

I adore snickerdoodles….will be trying these!!!

AGS November 24, 2010

The cream of tartar helps give it the unique flavor — if you remove it, the cookies taste like plain sugar cookies.

LISA November 24, 2010

I LOVE snickerdoodles. One of my favorite cookies. For some reason, they are hard to make for me.

Rachel Seys November 24, 2010

Will you pretty*pretty*pretty please do a Vegan cut-out recipe…along w/vegan frosting!?!? This is my 2nd Christmas as a vegan and have yet to find a yum cut-out recipe. Esp w/a good vegan food coloring!

tina November 24, 2010

yummy, love me some snickerdoodles!!!!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 24, 2010

Yum! Those look good. One of my friends love snickerdoodles so I will have to make these for her. I would love to see a chocolate chip cookie recipe. My family and I always make chocolate chip cookies for “santa” and I am always looking for new healthy vegan recipes for them.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 24, 2010

So cute! I think these are far more exciting than the once-intended sugar cookies! My favourite holiday cookie is one that my mum and I have been making since I was little – it’s sort of like gingerbread but it has some other spices in it and comes out nice and soft. Oh.. and the dough is verrry tasty too! :D

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen November 24, 2010

Oh wow – these look soo good!

Sonja November 24, 2010

Angela, your post made my day! Two weeks ago my mother gave me a vegan cookie book for my birthday. A few hours ago I flipped through it and came across a recipe called “City Girl Snickerdoodle”. I´m from Germany, so I didn´t know what a snickerdoodle could be… All i know is a “Snickers” chocolate bar but I couldn´t imagine a “snickerscookie”. Your post was here before I could google snickerdoodle ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

glad to help!

Healthy Chocoholic November 24, 2010

Oh wow! Those are some yummy-looking cookies!!!! Can’t wait to bake some of my own!

Julie @SavvyEats November 24, 2010

These look beautiful–and delicious!

Lauren November 24, 2010

Mmm, those look yummy! :) I love classic gingerbread cookies the best I think!

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace November 24, 2010

I love…love…love snickerdoodles but my all time favorite holiday cookie are peanut butter cookies.

SB November 24, 2010

Hi Angela

I was just wondering if you ever froze batches of desserts or meal recipes and your advice on that….I’d like to do make ahead things, but the last batch of desserts I froze didn’t really turn out….

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

I freeze quite a few things. I always double wrap the baked good in plastic wrap (pulling it tightly as possible) and then I put them in a freezer safe container before putting them into the freezer. It seems to work well.

traci November 24, 2010

You have out done yourself once again :) Will be making these ASAP!

Shanna November 24, 2010

I too love snickerdoodles! Also love the hershey kiss thumbprint cookies =)

Charlie November 24, 2010

You’re snickerdoodles look delicious! Anything cinnamon sure makes it to my favorite list! I also made candy cane cookies with hershey kisses that were quite good :).

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 24, 2010

have a crisp edge with a soft centre and they are a breeze to throw together = MY kind of cookie!!!

In h.s. I used to work in the mall. Next to a Mrs Field’s cookie store. Not sure if you Canadians have those but basically cookies that are defi NOT health food…but dang they taste good :) Anyway, I used to LOVE their snickerdoodle cookies b/c they are soft in the middle w/ a little hardness on the edge. And anything w/ butter and cinny/sugar, I am totally into :)

Great recipe, Angela!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 24, 2010

Oh this is wonderful!! Snickerdoodles are some of my favorite cookies but I’m always terrified to veganize recipes. I can’t wait to try these!!

Bronwyn Coyne November 24, 2010

Those look so amazing. I’m going to have to try them asap.

I love ginger chew cookies, and sugar cookies. Biscotti is always a great choice as well for the Holidays.

Stacie November 24, 2010

Umm…yes, please!! Thank you for making this into a vegan cookie. I loved snickerdoodles as a kid and will be making these ASAP as the ingredients are so basic and ones that are typically on hand. BTW….love your print button feature! Oh….and in case I haven’t told you enough how much I loved your pdf file of the vegan thanksgiving—priceless, thank you, you’re the best! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

aww thanks! Glad u enjoy

Camille November 24, 2010

I loove snickerdoodles! But for me, nothing beats a frosted sugar cookie at the holidays!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers November 24, 2010

Snickerdoodles are my all time fave- I never really thought of them as a holiday cookie though! Yummmm!

kell November 24, 2010

i dont know that i’ve ever had snickerdoodles, but those look so yummy! . . . my favorite is the Linzer cookies (with the raspberry jam) ummmmmm – i would love for you to healthify those!! happy holidays!!

Gina November 24, 2010

Hi Angela! Great snickerdoodle recipe! I actually don’t believe I’ve ever had a snickerdoodle! Crazy, right? But they sound delicious!

Quick question:

I am making your Pumpkin Pecan Brownie Pie and was wondering if I should bake the brownie layer before putting the pumpkin and pecan layer on? Also, I see on your recipe it says to scoop 2 tbsp of the brownie mixture into the pan. I’m assuming that was only for the cupcakes and for the pie you add all of the brownie mixture to the pan?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

Thanks for reminding me I need to fix that on my pdf!!!
It should say the entire lot…not just 2 tbsp :)

Also you bake it all at the same time

Gina November 24, 2010

Thanks so much :)

Fanta November 24, 2010

Just when I think it couldn’t get any better… you post this! Thanks :)

Amber K November 24, 2010

Awww, I MISS snickerdoodles! My grandma used to make some amazing ones, soft and chewy, super moist. Yum.

Nicole November 24, 2010

You need to do a post on your food photography skills! You’ve always had great pictures, but it seems more recently that they have been really breath-taking!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

lately I have been doing two things:

1) using a tripod

and 2) turning off the yellow lights

I also shoot in RAW, use a macro lens, and use adobe lightroom :) its fun!

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious November 24, 2010

love snickerdoodles…your recipe looks great! going to add this to my oh she glows recipes to make. i’m looking forward to your sugar cookie recipe too.

Judi November 24, 2010

these look soooo yummy! I have tried a couple of your recipes (apple strudel cake and mini cinnamon chocolate cupcakes) my husband had no clue they were vegan. He loved them! BTW flax eggs are an amazing invention!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 24, 2010

I’ve never had snicker doodles before but this look delish!

briana November 24, 2010

YUM!

I don’t have earth balance and I don’t want to use butter. ANy suggestions? Would flax or oil work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

not sure…worth a shot perhaps

Paula November 24, 2010

No, you need some kind of solid fat for cookies – butter or shortening. If you use just flax it would turn out something like a weird sweet cracker. And if you use oil it would turn out kind of like crumbly pie dough, which might be a fairly tasty creation! :) but they wouldn’t cookies. After all, its that unique texture that makes a cookie a cookie and not a cake or a scone! Solid fat creamed with sugar + flour = cookie! :)

Ella November 24, 2010

Looks SO good..maybe I’ll have to make these along with the two other types of cookies I’ve made this week lol.

Lauren November 24, 2010

Please give us a great Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe (without PB!)

My favorite vegan cookies of all time are the ones at Whole Foods bakery… Vegan Almond cookie, Vegan Coconut Nut Cookie, Vegan Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie and Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie. If you can replicate any of those bad boys, I will worship the ground you walk on eternally :)

ps. I ADORE your blog!

Melissa November 24, 2010

Yum! I’m looking forward to making some cookies with my kids soon. We may have to include snickerdoodles in our baking. They are a classic and very good. The main feature for us is sugar cookies, which are simple and so fun to decorate. :)

Page 1 of 3123»