Weekly Health News

Well, it is a good thing I made energy bites for last night because we needed them to fuel our beer and chatting marathon on the couch!

Last night  = Sitting on the couch > Kinect

I am a strong believer in listening to your body and last night our bodies wanted beer, energy bites, blankets, and a comfy couch. The technical term is Pre-Winter hibernation I believe.

Lots of wedding talk occurred! Steve and Joanne are trying to decide what kind of wedding they want to have (destination vs home). It is a difficult decision!

Today, I am in the kitchen testing my pumpkin recipe should I advance to challenge #8 in Project Food Blog. Yesterday, I tested a pumpkin recipe that I had been planning all week and it was a huge and utter flop. I was left with a kitchen that looked like a bomb went off. Sometimes creating vegan recipes is not easy!

Now I start from scratch.

I threw around some ideas with Eric last night and I came up with a new idea that I hope will be great!

Because I am busy in the kitchen today, I thought I would do a health news round up for you today. :)

Health News Round Up

Random question of the day- If you are married, did you opt for a destination wedding or one in your area? If you are planning on getting married some day, have you thought about what you would do for your wedding?

Amanda November 13, 2010

Aw, I agree sometimes curling up on the couch is the recipe for a perfect evening.

I’m currently in the process of planning a wedding and I’m opting to have it at home because I know it will make the process easier for me. The challenge we’re facing is that home is new to us. My fiancee just got a job in Seattle so he is moving there now and I am moving when I graduate in May. This is challenging as far as wedding planning goes because neither of us know the area at all, luckily we’re not getting married till summer 2012 so we have time to figure things out.

Good luck with your pumpkin recipe!

Keri November 13, 2010

Thank you! I was very interested to read the article on Pilates vs. bootcamp…

Ange November 13, 2010

We were married in Vegas and had the most beautiful sunset ceremony in the gardens at Caesars. We took 15 of our closest friends/fan and it was honestly the most perfect day!!

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition November 13, 2010

I love your Healthy news roundups! You’ve always got something I seem to miss in the news!

I have no idea what I would want to do for my wedding. It is not even on my radar! :)

Lauren November 13, 2010

I’m not even in a serious relationship right now, so who knows how this will change… but right now I want a simple, simple wedding. Either just going to the courthouse with a few family members or possibly even eloping. I don’t even think I want a diamond ring. I’ll be curious to see how these ideas change once I’m actually faced with the possibility of a big wedding and a diamond. ;-)

Megan @ Sweet On... November 13, 2010

This was about to be my answer, except sort of…I used to want the big traditional wedding, the diamond etc, but as I get “older” my priorities seem to be redefining themselves. I think my transition to veganism a year ago is related to this as well. The idea of marriage, the relationship, is more important to me than the wedding. I’d love a party with all my friends and family, but for a ceremony, just us and our parents and perhaps best friends, no hoopla. I don’t want to be stressed!

Moni'sMeals November 13, 2010

I always love your health round ups!
I saw the Twinkie peice earlier this week and it is ridiculous that he is in the Health industry, He is a silly silly man. Sending a wrong message.

Anyways, I got married in Steamboat Springs, CO and yes it was a detination wedding and a dream come true. We got married on top of a mountain. :)
No regrets and all our guests made it too.
Have fun today!

Moni'sMeals November 13, 2010

Ha, I mean- no regrets meaning that we chose a destanation wedding, NOT that I got married! hehe.

Leah @ Simply Fabulous November 13, 2010

You know I loved my wedding day, but sometimes I think about how amazing a destination wedding would have been. I went to one in Mexico 4 years ago and it was just gorgeous. I don’t really think they can go wrong. They could always throw a party when they get back for guests who couldn’t make it!

Meredith Lilly November 13, 2010

I’m getting married in less than a year and we have decided to have the ceremony close to home. Being surrounded by our friends and family is so important to us, and having the wedding overseas would be a serious obstacle for a lot of people to attend.

It’s already a bit tricky — I’m from Saskatoon and my fiance is from Toronto, so one of our families has to travel! Maybe we should do a destination wedding to Winnipeg, meet them halfway :P

Sarah November 13, 2010

Thanks for being so attentive to your readers. It is so much easier to navigate posts now that they are separate from your added daily photos! Cannot wait for food buzz post!!!!!!!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2010

No prob!!

You should have seen me, I was so proud of myself for figuring out this plug in..haha. Took me a while, but I got it!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 13, 2010

I love the round ups! I had no idea Bobby Flay was a marathon runner… impressive!

Kaneil, The Ritts November 13, 2010

It was a tough decision for us, but we stayed in town after realizing that we really wanted all of our friends and family to be there. The fact that our grandparents couldn’t travel easily was a huge deciding factor. That, and the fact that it’s easy to send more on a smaller destination wedding after all of the travel expenses are considered.

But, the week of our wedding, Andrew and I were both so stressed about silly details that we swore we would take off and elope if we could have without losing several thousand dollars!

I say, it’s a toss up! If you’re leaning towards a destination – go for it!

Kaneil

tara November 13, 2010

My husband and I were married 7 months ago. Both of us strongly dislike being in the spotlight and get nervous being the center of attention, so we knew when we first mentioned getting married that a big wedding was NOT in the future. Each of us having two huge families made it even harder. I was living in Canada before we were married and he was in California, where we both are now. We both love the ocean so we knew we wanted to do it on the beach. Because of technicalities with the fiance visa I was moving to the USA on, we legally had to get married on US soil. That made us not having a “real” wedding a little easier as we had a good excuse for not getting married in Canada with our families.
We call what we did a “pre-planned elopement” because it wasn’t a secret, but it was just us two. Our best friend here is a photographer so her and her husband were there as witnesses and did our photos. It was short and sweet, and once we were married we had a blast doing a lot of cool photos in different locations along the coast.
Then a few months later when we were home visiting our families we had a big family weekend get together, which was laid back and not formal at all – just our style. In the end everyone had a great time and we did get to celebrate our marriage together. But we did get a lot of pressure to do our wedding the way other people thought we “should” do it. We did it the way we wanted to and we wouldn’t change a thing!

AGS November 13, 2010

My husband and I are always planning opposite roles in our relationship. I had practically zero interest in our wedding (poor guy), but fortunately he had tons of interest and is a good organizer, and pretty much we went with his preferences, because it meant so much to him. We kept in close to home (in Washington, DC — which is where I’ve lived since 2000) — church where we attended at the time. The building was striking, so we skipped all decorations, and were just glad to have family and friends there.

It’s intriguing to me that so many people are going with destination weddings these days. I sometimes wonder if it’s because there is such pressure through the wedding industry (talk about a case study in created demand), to have a certain type of wedding. I mean, we didn’t bother coordinating colors, flowers, anything. It was great: friends, family, food. . . I mean, it didn’t even matter that the groomsman (we just had one attendant each) forgot the rings.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 13, 2010

I’ve never really put *too* much thought into a wedding, but me and my boyfriend have talked a little about what we would want. As of right now, the plan’s for a destination wedding to where most of our family is so they don’t have to travel. It’s easier to move two people than 20 people.

Katie November 13, 2010

My husband and I have friends and families all over the U.S. and Mexico, so most people would have had to travel to our wedding no matter where it was. We decided to have it in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, partially because it was easier for his elderly grandparents to travel domestically. Everything was just beautiful. We ended up with 80 guests, which was a great number, and even though our wedding was very nice (open top-shelf bar, surf-and-turf dinner, etc.), nobody knew it was a third of the cost it would have been in the U.S. As we had a fairly limited budget, this also played a role in having a destination wedding. Some of the logistics, like getting married in a Catholic church, had us jumping through hoops, but we had over a year to plan so it was very do-able. Here are a couple pictures for anyone interested: (http://thenicholsblog.com/2008/06/21/katie-drew-puerto-vallarta/)

And for the people who want a small wedding, my husband and I went to city hall in Manhattan (where we were living at the time) three weeks before our “big” wedding since it was much easier to get married in the U.S. It was just the two of us on a rainy Friday, with a friend as our witness, followed by brunch at one of our favorite restaurants. We spent the weekend celebrating with Broadway shows and a couple nice dinners wearing our wedding bands, then took them off Monday until our Mexican wedding. Nobody but our families and the one friend knew we were married before, so it was really romantic and fun to have that secret. I would totally recommend it :)

Haleigh November 13, 2010

My husband and I were married in Sarasota, FL. It was extremely difficult to plan because we were living in Sweden at the time. We had family coming to our wedding from Sweden and Oklahoma. My mom was a lot of help since she was at least in the country at the time, so she could call to make the arrangements for me. I wouldn’t have changed my wedding for the world though :) Although it was stressful to plan a destination wedding, everything worked out in the end.

Lindsay November 13, 2010

We were married almost 2 years (in January) and we had a destination wedding in Punta Cana. We were fortunate enough to have 55 guests join us, and we also had a party 2 months later in our hometown for about 100 people so we could celebrate with all of those who couldn’t join us down south. It was magical and I wouldn’t do it any other way. Highly recommended if you don’t have a vision of a traditional wedding.

Leah @ L4L November 13, 2010

We had a semi-destination wedding. We went to Vegas. The reasoning was that our families were so spread out (washington, montana, arizona, utah, texas, ohio, missouri) so doing something sort of in the middle of the US where everyone would have to travel seemed fair. We also did it over a 3-day weekend so people could have a fun get-away weekend as well.

Caitlin (EatFeats) November 13, 2010

I would like to elope. Or not marry. But, since I’m sure my parents don’t want me to live alone or in sin forever, I’m planning on an outdoor Bay Area coastal wedding.

Caitlin (EatFeats) November 13, 2010

Which is where I live! So…home wedding!

Katy (The Singing Runner) November 13, 2010

I’m 20 years old with no boyfriend (or any potential ones for that matter), but I have already planned my wedding! :) I know the city, location, size, etc for what I want! I know that I probably will have to make some compromises when the time comes but it’s fun to dream right?

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty November 13, 2010

I’m getting married in 3 months, in Mexico!! I’m so excited to be having a destination wedding. We only invited the people we wanted there (too many others to invite if we had it here) And we get to spend a whole week with out favorite people!!! We have 31 in total coming, and couldn’t be more excited!!!

Tell them don’t be fooled though, it seems like a destination wedding is cheaper… but it’s not that far off a wedding here, once all the bells and whistles are booked!!

Shanna, Like Banana November 13, 2010

For us it was not a destination but since our entire family / extended family lives out East, it was a destination to them. We got married at a winery near SF :)

Amber K November 13, 2010

There was no way we could afford a destination wedding. It sounds like a fun idea, but the cost is just too much!

Allison @ Food For Healing November 13, 2010

I can’t wait to get married one day, Fall wedding, in my area. No destination wedding for me, but definitely honeymoon trip like that would be awesome.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 13, 2010

I would love to get married on a lake up in northern Ontario. So it might be a bit of drive for our guests, but nothing too far away! I don’t think I’d want to do a real destination wedding though because I want everyone to be able to have the time/money to attend.

Good luck with your new idea for the pumpkin recipe! I hope it works out! :D

Camille November 13, 2010

I really want to get married at city hall, but my boyfriend wants an outdoor wedding. Who knows what will happen!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day November 13, 2010

I’m getting married next year. I live in CA, but we are getting married in VA – where our families are. As much as we would love to have a destination wedding (Hawaii, preferably, where we were engaged), we know that not all of our families could afford the trip. We’d rather have them witness our day and then we can celebrate in the tropic after the wedding.

Jen November 13, 2010

My husband and I took the non-traditional route and eloped in Niagara Falls. Good friends came along to be our witnesses, but other than them, we didn’t tell a soul. Our day was about us and our vows to each other…no worrying about who’s sitting next to who at dinner, will Uncle X act up and drink to much, will all the parents get along, etc. Four years later, we agree we wouldn’t do a thing differently.

I love the idea of destination weddings, especially in the Caribbean because we love to vacation there, but one caveat I would warn people of is that a destination wedding can end up just as costly as a traditional wedding at home. Many people host a reception once they get home, so when you figure in the cost of getting to your destination, invites, clothing, photography, all the little extras and then add in the cost of renting a hall or however you would celebrate your marriage with friends & family at home, it can end up costing the same or even more than if you’d just gotten hitched at home. Something to think about!

Bridget November 13, 2010

Listening to your body is always the way to go. It’s one of the many things I’ve learned from your blog, and once I applied it to my life, I’ve felt so much better :) Whenever I find myself questioning whether or not to workout when feeling sick or sore, I sometimes think “What would Angela do?”

As far as marriage….hmmm, well I’m only 20 at the moment, and first I need to find the guy haha! I’ve always wanted a wedding that incorporates the outdoors as much as possible. Living in BC is great for that!

Jessica Sinclair November 13, 2010

Hope that this recipe work out for you! I sure like the ones that I have cooked/baked from your recipes page! My husband and I got married 4 blocks from our house in a hall by my minister Aunt. It was perfect as we had a 4 month old baby at the time and I was breastfeeding! Nothing like finding out your pregnant AFTER you buy the dress!

Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) November 13, 2010

Hi!! We had amoderate sized wedding (~200 ppl) in our home town. But now, looking back, I kinda wish we had done a destination wedding and then had a HUGE reception for everyone afterwards!! Planning the wedding was A LOT of stress, but it all turned out great in the end!!

Teresa @ Teresa Tastes & Travels November 13, 2010

Funny thing…we were caught planning an elopement. My strong-willed Italian dad ended up planning a big wedding at home. Then tried forcing people to eat seconds (I mentioned strong-willed Italian, right?).

Nicole, RD November 13, 2010

We did a wedding near our home so it was convenient for our friends and family. I think destination weddings are great, just wasn’t right for us with older grandparents and what not! I LOVED wedding planning, though…had a blast! And it was a good thing I planned so well…the wedding went off without a hitch!

Ellen November 13, 2010

that story about the dietician professor who lost weight on a twinkie diet makes me so angry! am i the only one that finds it totally irresponsible to make it seem like a good idea to live off hostess, espresso and vitamin pills?

besides, it totally undermines the true need that people in food deserts experience on a day to day basis. he is basically saying “well, you might be malnourished from eating crappy food, but the reason you’re fat is YOUR fault!” man, i could go on and ON about that one.

looking forward to your pumpkin recipe!

Anne November 13, 2010

Hi I recently discovered your blog. I really enjoy the “realness” of your posts. You present your experiences without preaching which is so refreshing.

As to the wedding question. I don’t think the location of the celebration (local vs. destination) really is as significant as the mind set of what you are celebrating: the commitment to your spouse. I personally can not imagine doing that without precious friends and family in attendance. If going “destination” made it more difficult for my friends and family to attend, that would really influence my decision. That being said, there will be some people that won’t be able to attend no matter what you plan, so if your heart is set on a destination, and you won’t have to sacrifice significant friends and family being there, go for it.

I also realize that what others think: mothers, fathers, friends, cousins, even complete strangers can become stifling. And you’ll probably have to make some compromises no matter which location you choose. So, remember what counts and what you are really celebrating…it’s not about having a perfect party…its about celebrating your marriage and your future life together.

Also, I’ve been happily married for a few (16) years. And I suggest, unless you are made of money, do exercise some restraint on the $$. It is a once in a life time event and you want it to be special, but life will continue to happen to you…so don’t mortgage yourself into financial stress just as you start out your married life.

Sally November 13, 2010

I really really wanted a tiny, simple ceremony in Vegas but the logistics of getting family and stepkids there didn’t work so we had a small brunch ceremony at a local restaurant. Doing a brunch worked out really well because we were all done by 3 pm and even though we were exhausted, we could still bask in the glow of our first day as a married couple.

Becca November 13, 2010

My fiance and I are getting married next May in the Outer Banks, North Carolina (a closer destination wedding from our home in Richmond, Virginia). We have rented a huge oceanfront house and are getting married barefoot on the beach and having the reception at the beach house :) I am SO excited for it because the whole thing is “so us”. It is going to be, as I call it, “beachy casual” :) Only 175 days until I marry my best friend!!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 13, 2010

Great articles and good luck with your pumpkin recipe! Some times it takes a few flops before you find the winner.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2010

and I would also like to add…sometimes one has to kiss a few frogs before they find their prince! lol

Sara November 13, 2010

Love your blog! I’m hooked on it :)

Hubby and I were married in Belize 3 years ago- not quite a “destination” wedding as we only had a few good friends meet us down there, but close enough! We loved, loved LOVED our experience, as well as our reception we held here at home when we returned.

We travel back to Belize each year to commemorate our anniversary (and while down there this year we discovered we were expecting a baby!).

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2010

congrats!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 13, 2010

We were going to get married anyway. And we were going to do it in Hawaii. But we were on a plane to Vegas for a work trip for Scott and decided to just get married in Vegas. That weekend. Well on Tuesday I think it was. I went to the mall, bought a hot pink Betsey Johnson dress. We paid $199 for a wedding package in a little chapel, complete with 24 exposure kodak camera and plastic corsage for scott, plastic bouquet for me, and a mininster with spiked hair and a tail who married us in 3 minutes. No one said it would last.

10 years later and a 4 year old (almost) child later…and living all over the country and moving and having a blast…we’ve made it last :)

I think destination weddings rock!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2010

I love your story!!!

Sarah November 13, 2010

“hot pink Betsey Johnson dress…” this comment would make any female proud of her gender :) You go girl!

Sana November 14, 2010

That is the best wedding story!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 14, 2010