Comforting Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal With All The Fixins’

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 8, 2010

Good morning!

Hope you are having a great start to your week. Well, my dinner recipe didn’t turn out exactly as I wanted it to last night, so that post will be coming up later. I just need to tweak it a bit more!

It has been a while since I have done a breakfast post, so I thought I would show you what I have been eating for breakfast this Fall season.

Pumpkin Pie Delight Vegan Overnight Oat Parfaits!

20100930-IMG_3662

I also make Gingerbread and Butternut varieties to mix it up. I have vegan overnight oats about twice a week.

I have also been rocking the Green Monsters about 4-5 times a week, sometimes for breakfast other times for post-workout snacks.

20101107-IMG_0007

And Pumpkin Pie Monsters…every now and then.

20100926-IMG_3438

I have also been enjoying Spiced Up & Stacked Pumpkin Butter Pancakes (or other flavours of pancakes) about once every two weeks. I haven’t really had much time for pancakes lately, but I am hoping to make them this weekend.

20101007-IMG_4483

This morning, I thought I would whip out the hot oatmeal for a change! I was freezing in the house when I got up and the only thing on my mind was HEAT!

20101108-IMG_0015

The Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal ingredients:

20101108-IMG_0009

Note that I have no sweetener in the oat mixture. I prefer to add my sweetener on top of the oats as I find you can taste it better. The oats on their own will not taste great, but the topping bring it to life. You can also add a banana to the oats while cooking if your prefer them sweeter.

20101108-IMG_0013 20101108-IMG_0015

The toppings:

20101108-IMG_0021

Along with some japanese Sencha Green Tea:

20101108-IMG_0029

I love adding 1 tbsp of almond milk on top. It cools the oats down slightly and gives it a wonderful consistency like cereal. It’s fun swirling around all the flavours, and of course, the maple syrup is key here.

20101108-IMG_0034

I also loved the 1/2 tsp of Earth Balance on top. It really gave the oats a nice savoury flavour and went well with the sweetness of the maple syrup.

Adding this to my rotation!

20101108-IMG_0044

A great way to warm up on a chilly morning. :)

Well, I shall get back to my bakery work! I have a really busy week ahead of me with lots of orders to get caught up on, including a donation of Glo Bars for a charity volleyball tournament this weekend. I am also hoping to finalize the nutrition labels for the new holiday Glo Bar flavour and also the holiday variety packs! This week is going to fly by.

What breakfasts are you loving right now?

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 8, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I’ve been eating PBJ toast for the past few days — I picked up some really good strawberry jam and it tastes incredible!

PS I like how you are showing the ingredients measured out on the cutting board — I think it looks really nice :)

[email protected] knackfornutrition November 8, 2010 at 12:15 pm

My pumpkin oats never EVER look that pretty. Probably because I am always running late when I make them, but regardless, yours are so beautiful!! :)

Lily's Health Pad November 8, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I have been pressed for time, so I am either eating overnight oats (tried them with pumpkin SILK this a.m.), toast, waffles I’ve made and frozen, or PB slathered bananas. I wish I had time to create more decadent and fun breakfasts!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin November 8, 2010 at 12:17 pm

YUM. This looks awesome!!! I’ve been loving loaded toast lately, where I put nut butter, smashed banana, chia seeds, sometimes raisins or pom seeds, and then eat it just like that. It’s SO quick and perfect for bringing to work.

Katy (The Singing Runner) November 8, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Oooo I need to try some of your pumpkin breakfasts. :) They look delicious!

Right now I’ve been loving plain Greek yogurt mixed with some cranberries heated up in the microwave. It may be a bit tart for some people in the morning but it’s just what I need to wake up. :)

Laurab @ foodsnobstl November 8, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Oh, now I know what to do with the bag of cranberries in my fridge. Great idea!

Leanne @ Simplicitlee November 8, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I love oatmeal. It warms you up and keeps you full :) Plus a sprinkle of blueberries & flaxseed tastes amazing!

hippierunner November 8, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Everything looks so gorgeous! I’ve been having banana peanut butter oatmeal!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA November 8, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Those fixins are awesome! And I love that wooden spoon.

I usually don’t eat breakfast (sorry, I know!) or I just have leftovers but this week I actually did make something breakfasty – oats, ground flax seed, mashed banana, and PB & J. It was really good!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I love your little twig spoon! Too cute!

I’ve been craving green monsters in the morning lately, which is strange since our temps are getting colder and colder. They’re usually a “summer food” for me…but I’m going with it! :-)

grocery goddess jen November 8, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Angela, those look simply awful. I really think you should send them all to my house so you don’t have to suffer through them anymore. You’re welcome.

For breakfast lately I’ve been rocking oat bran…I’m mildly obsessed!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing November 8, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Oh my… that looks amazing! I dont think i’ve wanted oats this bad in a LONG time!

Allison @ Food for Healing November 8, 2010 at 12:30 pm

oh how i wish i was doin the breakfast thing, a nice loaded up flavourful hot oatmeal would be nice with this cold wet weather in Sask

Kaneil, The Ritts November 8, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Those look delicious – during the school week, I eat yogurt. But over the weekend, I had oats with salt and butter spread. Simple, warm and filling!

Kaneil, The Ritts

Jessica November 8, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Those oats look delightful! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 8, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Those oats look awesome. Definitely comforting!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 8, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Oh YUM!! These look absolutely wonderful- and beautiful to boot. I love my cereal breakfasts year-round, though oats are always good too on a cold morning!!

Jen @ Making Messes November 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Love your parfaits!

I’m doing warm oatmeal with nuts lately with the cold weather. I’m on a walnut kick. :)

Rebel mel November 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Ha! I was totally planning on making pumpkin oatmeal this week! My recipe is a little different, though!

Dorry November 8, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I’m still loving a big bowl of pumpkin oats and probably won’t get sick of it until after Christmas. It’s simply my favorite! This morning, I made an adapted version of your healthy cookies bites and they are delicious. I’m excited to experiment with different add-ins.

Julie S November 8, 2010 at 12:48 pm

TOTALLY making these tomorrow for bfast, just have to pick up a few ingredients. You make breakfast so fun! (and make everything look sooooooo good) -drool- :P

Amanda (Eating Up) November 8, 2010 at 12:48 pm

This is a timely post because I stood at my pantry for five minutes this morning realizing I no longer wanted hot oatmeal. I didn’t know what I wanted to make though!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 8, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Those oats look delicious! i may just make them tomorrow morning for breakfast. Lately, I have been making Cran-Apple Pumpkin Oats. Delicious!

AGS November 8, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Breakfasts for me have been unglamorous. . . but I am happy to say that they have included quite regularly homemade muffins of some sort – usually with whole wheat flour, not too much sugar, and some sort of moist add-in (banana, grated carrot, etc.). They are great for grabbing, heating up for a bit in the microwave, and munching with very little time.

In a somewhat odd reversal, my husband and I have been enjoying breakfast (omelets) for dinner at least once/week. Talk about one of the most economical foods of all time – even if you buy cage-free, they are still dang cheap.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I was quite the opposite this morning actually. It was so warm in my house for a change! I wanted something cold!

Becky November 8, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Loving overnight oats – just discovered your blog a few weeks ago and had never heard of them. Enjoying all different fruits and seasonal butters in them – so yummy. And hot oatmeal – my mainstay. Over the weekend I made cinnamon apple swirl pancakes and am thinking I’m going to try pumpkin swirl pancakes this weekend. Can’t wait!

Laurab @ foodsnobstl November 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I never have time to make breakfast, so it is usually overnight oats. Angela, would you maybe do a post on quick breakfasts you can make the night before and just heat up or grab and go?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Sure, I will keep this in mind :)

I believe you can make oatmeal the night before and then add a splash of milk and heat in the microwave in the morning. That might be worth trying out too.

Megan (Braise The Roof) November 8, 2010 at 1:19 pm

When I was a kid my mom ALWAYS put milk on top of my oatmeal (or sometimes cream of wheat…remember that stuff?) and I’d totally forgotten about doing that. I think it really adds something!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Right now I’m loving Green Monsters of all varieties, but I’m sad I didn’t get to have one today because I had to go straight from the gym to work. I’ll definitely be appreciating it tomorrow! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2010 at 1:24 pm

GM’s give me endorphins! haha

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I’ll take pumpkin pie for breakfast ANYday. Yum!

Sheila Viers | Live Well 360 November 8, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I really like making steel cut oats (I start them the night before) and adding pumpkin, raisins, pumpkin bread or granola, a little TJ sunflower butter, and spices.

Laila Heidema March 3, 2014 at 7:23 pm

That sounds really yummy! Thanks for sharing.

sarahnotsoplainandtall November 8, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Your pictures are beautiful as always!
Now that Im in Miami I havent been crazving a warm breakfast, so fruit has been good for me…but when I go home to New Hampshire for the holidays I will be trying out many of your ideas!!!

xx
@healthymodel

zoe (and the beatles) November 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm

my breakfasts tend to look the same. usually i eat millet toast topped with half a banana and some almond butter. sometimes i throw on some pumpkin butter or honey and unsweetened coconut flakes. sometimes i switch out the toast for waffles. i love carbs in the morning. and sweet foods! like bananas :) but i think i need to switch it up! my body is getting frustrated with the same old eats, i think. and your pumpkin oats are the best place to start, i’m thinking :)!

Clare @ Fitting It All In November 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm

totally loving YOUR pumpkin pie overnight oats, as well as plain old banana and almond butter sandwiches!!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) November 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm

those pancakes really look beyond delicious. i’ve been enjoying savory oats recently! i’ll keep this pumpkin oatmeal recipe in the back of my head :) love your photos, and all the measuring spoons are so cute!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 8, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I love pumpkin oatmeal! I had overnight oats in a jar tuis morning which is one of my favorite breakfasts. I’ve also been enjoying green monsters :)

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Love that wooden spoon!

And sencha tea (in fact, I am drinking it right now!)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Fave breakfast would be peace, quiet, no fires to put out, and a scorchingly hot cup of coffee :)

And your breakkie creation looks awesome.

Sorry your dinner party recipe needs tweaking…nothing like a little extra work for yourself in order to get it ready to be published.

And I hope your week goes wonderfully…new holiday flavour glo bars…sounds delish to me :)

Shanna, Like Banana November 8, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Just got a wild craving for spice pancakes now..gee thanks ;)

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow November 8, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I’m currently very obsessed with warm banana sandwiches. :)

Toast up some bread or even cook french toast style with almond milk or milk of choice. Heat up banana in skillet for 3-4 minutes. Place in between bread and cover in toppings of choice (pumpkin, maple syrup or more!). I’ve seen this sandwich in so many blogs this season and have joined the crowd!

So delish.

bitt November 8, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Yum! I have been loving hot oatmeal and cranberry smoothies.

Jen November 8, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Good grief…everything looks incredible!!! I still have to try pumpkin oats, they are on the menu for this week :)

Jen

Halley (Blunder Construction) November 8, 2010 at 3:32 pm

You must certainly be a busy bee lately! It’s so inspiring to know that 2 or 3 years ago, all of this was just a hope in your heart. It goes to show what passion & dedication can do! But I wonder, would you do it all over again, knowing that it would mean less pancakes in your life? ;)

Laura @ Tidbits November 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I’m just loving my plain bowl of oats topped with chia seeds, banana, skim milk and pumpkin butter! mmmmmmmm mmmmm mmmm

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed November 8, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Yes, this week will fly by, wont it! Work sounds busy but fun. This oatmeal looks fabulous. I am trying so hard to hunt down canned pumpkin in Australia. Maybe I’ll suck it up and make my own :)
Heidi xo

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 8, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Oatmeal is always SO comforting in the morning. I love all your toppings… I can imagine it took your breakfast over the top.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 8, 2010 at 4:11 pm

oh yummo – they all look like such wonderful starts to the day!

[email protected] November 8, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I’m hooked on pumpkin overnight oats made with plain yogurt and topped with nut butter!

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo November 8, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I’m all over muffins and tea…it’s such a warm, comforting breakfast on chilly mornings.

Camille November 8, 2010 at 4:15 pm

That is one handsome breakfast! I am all about oats right now. It is the perfect way to warm up in the mornings!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing November 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I am loving that the weather has cooled down so that oatmeal actually is really appealing again! All summer it was soooo hot out and after spending the AM at the gym it was just not fun to sit over a steaming bowl of oatmeal. Now I can really enjoy it :).

Traci November 8, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I love green monsters in the morning but when the cold temps set in I run to good ole gussied up oatmeal in the mornings. I love the months of November and December but I can be such a wimp when it comes to the cold:O

Stefanie November 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Well I am certainly loving all of the breakfast above! Thanks for the new bookmarked breakfast ideas!

In the mornings I usually stick to oatmeal, overnight oats, smoothies (GM), hummus n’ toast…ALWAYS with a side of caffeine! It really just depends on how much time I have that day! :)

Meghan Telpner November 8, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I love those pictures and the green monster looks delish :)

Stefanie November 8, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I am likeing pumpkin in my hot ceral. It adds a slightly creamy texture. Your breakfast looks really good but they always do. :)

Paige @Running Around Normal November 8, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I have been loving plain old oatmeal with PB! Never fails:) I also add a little Jay Robb protein powder in as well.

Nicole (Picky Nicky) November 8, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I had pumpkin pie oats for breakfast this morning :) I made it just like you but added flax seeds and almond butter as a topping and mixed some honey into it. Came out awesome!!

stacey-healthylife November 8, 2010 at 6:39 pm

All of my favorite combo’s.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 8, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Pumpkin oats are my all-time favourite breakfast! Except last week I bought blueberries and strawberries, so I’ve been having lots of yogurt messes with those lately. I’m excited to finish them up and get back to pumpkin oatmeal though. :D

Elizabeth November 8, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Your Pumpkin Oats look soooo good! I’ll have to try them. I usually rotate between warn oatmeal with nuts and raisins, Red River cereal with berries and a drizzle of maple syrup and whole grain toast with sliced pears – when the pears are just right they have an awesome buttery texture that goes so well with the toast. :) I usually save the green monsters for post workout.

Cara Craves... November 8, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I love a good bowl of hot oats in the morning…I great way to start the day.

Wei-Wei November 8, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I like adding a little milk, too – it adds a little flavour (as opposed to adding water… that’s kinda nasty) and also cools it down. I love swirling in a bit of honey and getting an occasional sweet bite. Mmmm. I love how hot oats make me feel ;)

Rachel November 8, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Angela, I have been reading your blog so much that I’ve started to think like you…. I whipped up some hot pumpkin pie oatmeal for breakfast this morning (complete with chia seeds, maple syrup, and pecans) a FULL 10 HOURS BEFORE I READ THIS POST! Wow! Coincidence? I think not… ;-)
You’re my favorite blogger! Keep it up!
p.s. I added raisins to my oatmeal mmmmm!

Kate November 8, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Hi Angela!
I just stumbled upon your blog… wow!!! Your photography is absolutely stunning, as is the food. I am so impressed!!
I’ve been drooling over all the autumnal recipes I’ve been seeing around the blog world recently (I’m in Australia and we’re coming in to summer), but yours have got me totally swooning over pumpkin!
Kate :)
GreenandJuicy.wordpress.com

Charlie November 8, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I had hot oatmeal this morning too!
I wanted a quick hot breakfast ;).

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast November 8, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I’ve been having overnight oats, green monsters and my new favorite is oat bran with raw cacao, coconut butter, chia seeds & sweetened with a little mashed banana – it’s heaven!

Bonnie November 8, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Hot oatmeal with ANY fruit (though mainly bananas and frozen blueberries!) plus cinnamon and some almond butter has been hitting the spot for me lately…with the colder Calgary days I’m all in for this meal to start my day off I’m enjoying GMs after hard workouts or longer runs – and I have you to thank for it!

I, too, like the way you’ve displayed your ingredients on your cutting board – it’s beautiful and makes for a neat shot.

Rebecca November 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I love Weetbix with Rice Milk or Rye Toast with Vegemite or Chocolate Pancakes (that is a weekend treat)

Moni'sMeals November 8, 2010 at 11:15 pm

That loosk amazing! Maybe tommorow.

I am lovin my Pumpkin Bars and Oatmeal w/ Persimmons and Apples. :)

Anna November 9, 2010 at 5:31 am

Considering that for years I would have a handful of frozen raspberries for breakfast (and panic when we ran out and I had to eat frozen melon/pineapple mix – a whopping twenty calories more T__T) breakfast is still fairly new to me, and I’m suprisingly awesome at it. At the moment, I make porridge (oatmeal, to you; maybe it’s porridge if you make it with water? Or just the British term? I don’t know) with a pinch of salt and a good few spoonfuls of soy yoghurt over the top (on hot oats it sort of melts and goes amazingly creamy), and then some warmed-up homemade fruit compote… apple and plum, right now.

I would LOVELOVELOVE to try your VOO for mornings when I don’t fancy a hot breakfast, but I can’t find flax/chia seeds in the UK. I’m still using your ideas though, to get my confidence up. This week I want to experiment making either almond or coconut butter, to put on top of my oats in the morning =]. I would give a GM a try, but I think my housemates would judge me – they let me get away with most things, but if anyone saw me putting kale in the blender I don’t even know what people would think, haha.

Roxane November 9, 2010 at 6:40 am

Hey Anna,
I also live in the UK and believe it or not but I actually buy my Chia seeds on Ebay UK!! It’s definitely worth having a look…
Angela,
I just love love love how inspired you are for breakie! At teh moment, I am having hot oatmeal mith soymilk, mixed dried fruits, almonds, cinammon, chia seeds and honey. Very quick but very yummy and a great start to the working day. On the weekend – as I have more time – I usually spoil myself and my boyfriends to more special treats: crepes, pancakes, waffles, French toasts, poached eggs on cheese on toasts… Or downright crazy: GM milkshakes!! Oh yes!

Kristy November 9, 2010 at 7:49 am

I am turned on by your spice display – is that wrong? ;-)

Jenny November 9, 2010 at 9:03 am

I’ve been enjoying green monsters w/ spinach and banana lately! BUT, they make me FREEZE, so I may have to switch to oatmeal pretty soon.

Susan November 9, 2010 at 9:33 am

Lately I’ve been eating oatmeal with pumpkin butter! I think that will last me through the fall as I am clearly obsessed with pumpkin butter right now!

Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) November 9, 2010 at 10:37 am

LOVE that little stick spoon!! Where is it from?

Now that the weather has cooled off, I’m all about oatmeal! I don’t really care for it during the summer–> usually go for overnight oats when its hot out! Your pumpkin pir oats look DEEElicious!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 9, 2010 at 10:39 am

I’m really feeling the pumpkin love in this post!

mindy November 9, 2010 at 11:49 am

I made you Gingerbread VOO last night and this AM was really chilly so I put the bowl in the microwave for 2 minutes. What an easy way to have hot oatmeal in the morning! This will be my new way to make oatmeal rather than having to cook it for so long and having to worry that it will boil over…..because it always does :)

marla {family fresh cooking} November 14, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Your pumpkin pie oats look amazing. All of the fall colors & flavors in this post are tempting & happy. I too like to add the majority of my sweetener to the top.

Meredith March 29, 2013 at 9:11 am

Yum! This was breakfast this morning – with a banana added to the oats while cooking and coconut oil instead of Earth Balance (I was out). Soooo good.

Lola Albino March 31, 2013 at 10:07 am

I just prepared this recipe for breakfast, and I loved it. The oats were so creamy and filling. I may never make oatmeal any other way. Thanks.

Sara May 30, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Pure bliss in a bowl :) Love this recipe! That little bit of earth balance was such a good idea.

Laila Heidema September 23, 2013 at 9:16 am

I just made this and it was awesome! I’ve been so tired of oatmeal because it always tastes the same (at least how I’ve been making it). This was sooooo nice. Thank you!
I wonder how I could make this with steel-cut oats…