Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Good afternoon!

Well, it looks as if all signs point to waiting to upload my video until next Sunday. Thank you for all of your input in last night’s post. As Eric said, sometimes it is best to keep things under wraps. ;) The great news is that my post is completely finished and all I have to do next Sunday is hit ‘publish’. Thanks for your support and patience in waiting for the reveal of my video. I’m reeeeeeally excited for next Sunday and can’t wait to show you.

As you may know, I am a bit obsessed with these oat squares. So far I have made Strawberry oat Squares:

20101018IMG 75793 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

and Buttery Apple Streusel Oat Squares

20101026IMG 87982 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

This weekend I made Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans.

20101106IMG 98082 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

I have been wanting to make this variety for a while now and I finally made a new batch of pumpkin butter just for this occasion. This recipe involves a lot of steps so you can make the pumpkin butter and candied pecans ahead of time if you prefer.

Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Ingredients:

For Oat Base:

• 1.5 cups regular oats
  • 1 cup whole-grain spelt flour (or kamut, whole wheat pastry flour, or white/whole wheat)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup Sucanat sugar (or brown sugar)
  • 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds+ 4 tbsp warm water, mixed well and set aside for 5 mins)
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Earth Balance, melted
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp almond milk

Pumpkin Butter:

Candied Pecans:

• 1 cup candied and chopped pecans (See below for recipe)

Directions: Preheat oven to 275F. Line a square pan (I used a 9×9) with parchment paper and oil the sides of the pan and base. In a medium sized pot, prepare the pumpkin butter. Once cooked, remove from heat to cool.

Next prepare your candied pecans while the pumpkin butter is simmering. See below for recipe. When finished, set aside. Now preheat oven to 350F.

In a small bowl, mix the chia or flax egg and set aside. In a large bowl, mix the oat base dry ingredients: oats, flour, Sucanat/brown sugar, baking soda, salt. In a small bowl, mix the melted earth balance, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla, and chia egg. Stir well.

Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well, using hands to mix well. Set aside 1/2 cup of the oat base mixture if desired (I didn’t in this recipe, but I probably would next time). Pour the oat mixture onto the square pan and press down with fingers. Use a pastry roller to smooth out if desired.

Pre-bake the oat base at 350F for approximately 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven and pour on 1.5 cups cooled pumpkin butter and smooth out with spatula. Now sprinkle on the reserved 1/2 cup oat mixture and 1 cup candied pecan topping over top of pumpkin butter.

Bake at 350F for another 8-10 minutes. Allow to fully cool on counter for about 20 minutes and then in the freezer for at least 30-50 minutes before gently removing from pan and slicing.

Baking notes: These bars taste better the next day after the flavours have developed and the moisture from the pumpkin butter has moistened the crust. Store in fridge for up to 1 week. I used spelt flour this time and I think it resulted in a more crumbly base, so I’m not sure I would use spelt flour again.

20101106IMG 9756 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Candied Pecans:

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted

Directions: Preheat oven to 275F. Add 1 cup of chopped pecans on a baking sheet and toast for 8 minutes being careful not to burn. Remove from oven and place in a large bowl. In a medium sized pot, add all ingredients (except pecans!) and heat over medium stirring well to blend. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low-medium to simmer. Be careful not to burn. Keep stirring the mixture for about 10 minutes until it gets thick and caramelizes. Once it has thickened up remove immediately from stove top and pour into bowl with pecans. Stir quickly being sure to coat all the pecans. This is a very quick process and it is essential that you not leave the syrup mixture sitting for any amount of time or it will harden.

When I made the candied pecans I did not stop to take a photo of the syrup and it worked SO much better! :)

20101106IMG 9757 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Much better than my walnut attempt.

Now make your oat base!

20101026IMG 8824 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans 20101026IMG 8832 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans  20101026IMG 8844 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

I pre-baked the oat base for about 15-18 minutes before layering on Pumpkin Butter and pecan topping. I did this because I wasn’t sure if the crust would harden up if I baked it together with the pumpkin butter because the pumpkin butter has so much moisture in it. If anyone tries baking it all at once let me know how it works out!

20101106IMG 9759 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

After pre-baking, spread on 1.5 cups cooled pumpkin butter. You could also use store bought pumpkin butter too.

20101106IMG 9764 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Mmmmmm.

20101106IMG 9766 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

20101106IMG 9769 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Pumpkin butter goodness!

Now sprinkle on candied pecans and reserved oat mixture (I forgot this step again, but would do it next time!)

20101106IMG 9772 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Looking good.

20101106IMG 9774 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Bake for another 8-10 minutes and then cool for about 20 minutes on counter.

20101106IMG 9776 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes before removing from pan and slicing.

20101106IMG 9798 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Makes 16 squares.

20101106IMG 9820 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

The squares are good after baking, but they are soooooo much better the next day once the flavours have had a chance to mingle and the moisture from the pumpkin butter has moistened the base.

20101106IMG 9808 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

The pumpkin butter topping isn’t overly sweet (you may want to add more sugar when making the pumpkin butter), but the candied pecans give it a bit of sweetness and also a nice crunch.

I made these as a thank you gift for a friend and it is taking all of my power not to eat them!

20101106IMG 9815 thumb   Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Anyone else forget about the time change today? I didn’t realize the time changed until about 11am and I have yet to change my clocks!

I embraced the extra hour in the day by catching on the phone with OSGMOM. I also had a beautiful 4 mile run. The weather is gorgeous today and it was just the perfect day to get outside and clear my head.

What did you do with your extra hour today?

I will see you tomorrow morning for a quick and easy dinner recipe inspired by a fabulous restaurant dish I enjoyed on Friday night.

Rhea (Greek Feaster) November 7, 2010

OT, but I gotta give it up for your photos. They are so, so crispy and delicious. And I am especially appreciating them now that I’m taking photos for my blog again! I don’t know if it’s about the camera or the skill, but I raise my mug of tea to you, friend :)

Camille November 7, 2010

When I said that your last version of squares was the best ever, I lied. These are the best ever. I promise not to retract that statement no matter how good the next batch looks!

Stacey November 7, 2010

Looking forward to your video upload next week. Just don’t wait until the last minute to upload like last time. You never know when you are going to have power outages, internet interruptions, or just the business of the day slipping by.

traci November 7, 2010

I appreciate the extra hour but it still throws me off :( Those squares look amazing! I am new on this adventure of being vegan and have found it a lot of fun learning new things; however I just learned about the whole honey thing. I love it so much now I’m a little distraught. Did you ever have struggles giving up something you really loved while going vegan?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2010

Cheese was the hardest thing for me, followed by eggs! Honey I could do without easily because there are so many other sugar subs. But of course, you can determine where you draw the line. I think there is too much pressure with the title of a vegan at times and I think everyone should tailor it to fit their lifestyle. Ie: If you want to eat honey, eat it by all meals. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing :)

You might like my road to health post where I wrote about how i transitioned to a vegan diet: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/11/18/my-road-to-health-part-vi/

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 7, 2010

Ohh those look so good!! Like a pumpkin pie almost but with a healthier crust. :P

I’m not sure what exactly I did with the extra hour..it just seems like my days been really slow because I got everythind done by lunch time!

Annie@stronghealthyfit November 7, 2010

Yum yum! Pumpkin butter is one of the best condiments ever.

JenATX November 7, 2010

I ran the Susan G. Komen Race for the cure.. i love races because everyone is so supportive & happy. It really makes your run speed by & it makes you get up early & accomplish the day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2010

congrats!!

Hope November 7, 2010

Oh boy these look good! I really wish I had been born with the baking gene, but I totally wasn’t

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 7, 2010

I was able to spend more time cleaning up the house: laundry, dishes, cleaning floors, vacuuming, dusting, etc. It was nice to have extra time to get everything “extra” clean.

Melissa November 7, 2010

I have yet to make either recipe that you posted that call for candied nuts… But, I have made the nuts twice! Glad to hear about your uncle doing better!
I can’t wait to see your post! I’ve been looking forward to it!

Melissa November 7, 2010

p.s. I saw on Twitter that you have Christmas music on… that makes me sooo happy!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2010

hahah yesssss

Julie @SavvyEats November 7, 2010

Each variation looks better and even more decadent! Yummmm

hippierunner November 7, 2010

Those look like a great mix of different textures!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day November 7, 2010

I spent my hour sleeping! Couldn’t have thought of a better way to spend it…besides baking something as delicious as these.

I’m dying to try the strawberry ones, but not until I get a cute rolling pin :)

stacey-healthylife November 7, 2010

My extra hour was sleep. I love that roller that you use for the base of the bars, how handy.

christina cadden November 7, 2010

I am going to have to try these!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) November 7, 2010

Oh my goodness………. You’re a genius!
And your kitchen utensils are so cute, by the way :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 7, 2010

oh my – what a wonderful flavour combination! My whole family loved the batch of your strawberry oat squares I made last week!!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 7, 2010

Yup, this is totally starred & I am making these for Thanksgiving. Thanks!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe November 7, 2010

These look delicious..of course! Love the oat square idea in general, but breaking out the pumpkin butter on them is just outrageous:)

I used my extra hour to do some reading…something I rarely have time to do. Glad you had a great day! Oh, and I’m counting the days till your video!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 7, 2010

Those remind me of the Kashi pumpkin bars…but much more appetizing looking. It would take all my will power to save some for a gift as well.

And I used my extra hour to snuggle my daughter. She still woke up at her normal time and so I brought her into bed with me to cuddle.

Rebecca November 7, 2010

They look great, I have finally found a shop that sells canned pumpkin, but, you are only allowed to buy 2 cans, due to the demand and a pumpkin shortage.

Catherine November 7, 2010

i will try this recipe of course !
Your pictures looks amazing… and you have nice kitchen ustensils !

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 7, 2010

I’m soooo excited to see your PFB video next weekend!! It’s always tough to wait to reveal something good, but I’m sure it will be awesome :)

These look fantastic, as usual. I had several conversations with other bloggers this weekend in which we agreed that your recipes can do no wrong. They’ve always got me salivating the second the page opens!

My extra hour is going to disappear due to the California to NYC time change :/ I did enjoy the extra sleep last night though!! Hope you’re having a great end to your weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2010

yes waiting is REALLY hard esp cuz its already online (but private) i guess the week’s usually fly by lately though…

Chelsey (Cookteen) November 7, 2010

sleeep :)
Those look amazing!!!!!

Allison @ Food For Healing November 7, 2010

i woke up sort of confused, our alarm clock was set on a different time zone so it automatically changed, and i’m in Sask so we stay the same. so i didn’t lose or gain any time, just had a little confusion when i woke up! lol

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 7, 2010

Yum! Those look amazing :D I made the apple streusel oat bars last week and they were gone in record time and I could only imagine how much my pumpkin loving family would love these. Thanks for the recipe and I can’t wait to see your video next week!

Faith @ lovelyascharged November 7, 2010

Okay, it’s official – I HAVE to get my hands on some maple syrup and candy up some nuts! Granted, I don’t care for pumpkin, but I just know those would be AWESOME on another kind of bar :)

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com November 7, 2010

I am officially drooling at my computer screen! I was on an airplane for my extra hour today!

Wei-Wei November 7, 2010

These look like heaven… that’s all I can say… How do you RESIST having such deliciousness in your house? I’d binge like CRAZY! (But you’re already beyond that stage, so.. :P)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2010

I don’t really have an issue with baked goods in the house anymore and I think this is due to two reasons, 1) I don’t restrict myself and don’t say ‘I can’t have any’; therefore I eat in moderation when I want some, and 2) its always around so it doesn’t feel like I have to eat all of it b/c I know it will be there tomorrow and the next day…does that make sense?

Wei-Wei November 7, 2010

Thanks! That really helps me… I’m sometimes afraid to bake because I constantly pick at the raw dough/batter and then I feel like I’ve binged already and then that “screw it I’ve binged” attitude comes in and then I overdose on sugar. :( I think that would make it a lot less tasty, though… D:

Sharon November 7, 2010

I wish we could get an extra hour every day. I’ve been waiting for this time change for several weeks now and I’m so glad it’s here. Now I’ll be able to fit in early morning runs again… I’m just no good at afternoon/evening runs and they almost never get done.

I spent the extra hour stretching and then went for a brisk walk before church. After my half marathon yesterday I was feeling awfully stiff and tight and I would have been walking very strange for most of the day if I hadn’t been able to fit in the stretching and walk.

Melissa @ I Never Imagined November 7, 2010

Oh.. my.. goodness. Once again you have me wishing I could reach into my computer and grab a slice! You’re so talented!! Mmmmm

Kim November 7, 2010

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now, but am commenting for the first time! I LOVE every recipe you put on this site…you have helped me become healthy for the first time in my life. I’m 23, and when I got very sick as at the age of 5 from a cheeseburger I stopped eating meat. Since then I have struggled with my weight my entire life, especially because I was an athlete, as I never learned how to properly eat and relied on way too much pasta and bread. I have learned so much from reading your blog, I am starting to enjoy food, and I never have before. Green monsters and vegan overnight oats are what I look forward to in the morning…and while I’m still figuring out my lunches and dinners as I’ve recently become completely vegan, your blog has been the most helpful resource I have found. So thank you! I always love when I come here and there is something new to read or a yummy picture to look at. Your site also keeps me entertained during my organic chemistry course. That might actually be the best part. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2010

Thank you so much Kim for such kind words!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 7, 2010

These look SO SO good!! Pumpkin and pecans are 2 of my favourite fall foods (although I’m not sure pecans technically belong to any season,but to me they’re fall-y). With my extra hour today, I slept and it was LOVELY! Then I went to get in the car to teach my spin class but since my car clock doesn’t adjust on its own, I got a huge fright thinking I was an hour late. Oh daylight savings time…. gets me every year (twice!)

Charlie November 7, 2010

These squares look sooo good!
And I still have homemade pumpkin butter in the fridge…

Allie (Nutty FlexitALLIEan) November 7, 2010

Your recipes never fail to make my mouth water. Can’t wait to try these!

Virginia @ YtotheUmmy November 7, 2010

these look incredible….they need to fly over through the sky and into my mouth. gahh.

jennifer November 7, 2010

I slept. :o)

The picture of the strawberry bars has inspired me to whip up a batch when I should be going to bed soon… but they just look so delicious.

Jazz November 7, 2010

Mmmmm pumpkin! Did I miss the smore in a jar from the road trip challenge?

We don’t have daylight savings time in Saskatchewan! lame eh? It doesn’t make much of a difference I guess when the sun comes up at 10 and goes down by 4 …

Jazz November 7, 2010

Mmmmm pumpkin!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 7, 2010

I slept… then celebrated! Those oat squares look delish.

Page 1 of 212»