My Road To Health: Part VII

[For my entire Road To Health Series see these links: My Road To Health: Part 1, My Road To Health: Part II, My Road To Health: Part III, My Road To Health: Part IV, My Road To Health: Part V, My Road To Health: Part Vb, My Road To Health: Part VI]

20100919-IMG_7771

My road to health is never over, even though I can now tell you that I have been free from disordered eating for a while now.

Each day is a journey, not just with our Road to Health, but with all aspects of our lives.

What will happen today? Will I be good to myself? Will I treat others with respect? Will I hit a pothole along the way and slip up? Will I tell myself nice things and stay positive? Will I let negative thoughts or anxiety prevent me from succeeding? Will I be a good friend, family member, or partner?

20101024-IMG_8608

The beauty of each day is that we have a chance to start fresh.

20100920-IMG_8176 20100920-IMG_8175

For a long time, I didn’t believe this…at all. When I was deep into my disordered eating, no day was a fresh start for me.

It was simply one long, miserable journey that was going backwards and not forwards. With each day that I failed to take control of my own life, I crept back a few steps until I didn’t even know which way was the right direction.

Sometimes, when you fall into negative patterns for so long, you lose not only yourself, but your internal compass, that is supposed to guide you in the right direction. This internal compass, is also known as your heart or that little voice inside your head that tells you instinctively what you should do. Mine is always right.

Along the way, I stopped listening to my heart and my internal compass became a monotonous track of negative words and phrases.

You might be surprised to know that the #1 topic that I am emailed about pertains to disordered eating and the most frequent thing mentioned is binge eating. I have talked about binge eating several times in the past (parts: one, two, three) and I still believe that it is much more common than we believe and it is often an eating disorder that is swept under the rug and filled with great shame, much like bulimia.

For years, I couldn’t bring myself to even tell Eric that I struggled with binge eating at times. I could talk to him about the calorie restriction and over-exercising, but for some reason not binge eating. I was ashamed of myself and I was so scared that he was going to think less of me if I told him. Of course, that wasn’t the case. I was so scared for so many years to just talk about my struggles, but when I finally did I received support and understanding. Not once did I have someone turn their back on me.

Talking about it was the most freeing feeling in the world and it is always something I recommend to others in the same position. The secrecy, pain, and shame of an eating disorder creates this huge bubble of negativity in your life, but talking about it bursts the bubble and allows others to come inside to help. I saw a counsellor in university for a bit and I also started this blog and spoke openly about my struggles. Over time, I started to feel empowered and no longer like I was doomed by some negative fate.

Of course, this not only applies to those suffering from an eating disorder, but to most struggles in life.

The truth is, there is nothing to be ashamed of! We are human and we all have struggles in life. What we struggle with will vary by the individual, but we all struggle none the less.

The hardest part of my journey was admitting that I could claim happiness in my life.

For years, I believed that I was destined to be unhappy with myself and I thought that I would always struggle with food and weight until old age.

When you are struggling, the hardest part is always admitting to yourself that you deserve happiness. It is much easier to just believe that you don’t deserve happiness and remain stagnant in your life. Once you look yourself in the eye and admit that you deserve to be happy, you now must do something about it.

Doing something about it is the hard part, but it sure beats the alternative.

20100919-IMG_7975

20100920-IMG_8173

My intention with this blog is to show you what makes me happy and then to encourage you to go find what makes YOU happy.  We all have a unique journey ahead of us and that is the beauty of life.

IMG_3989 IMG_3990

[Sketchie recommends meditating sleeping in a box lid. That may also work. I think I shall try this tonight.]

1 Hope November 4, 2010

Beautiful post Angela.
Your blog helped me realise that there is more to life than binge eating, calorie restriction and guilt. That I could live a happy healthy life and eat food! Real food! :) And also that I deserve to be happy!
I feel so much better in myself these days, my mum even commented the other day that I ‘glowed’….that, is all thanks to you x

2 Hope November 4, 2010

P.S Sketchie made my morning hehe I just wanna rub that little belly! But if he’s anything like my cat, he’d take my hand off if I tried!!

3 Jackie Smith November 4, 2010

Thank you for sharing your heart with your readers.

4 Therese November 4, 2010

I can’t say much more than that this post makes me happy! I love that you share this with everyone. You’re amazing!

5 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 4, 2010

Love. This is amazing.

6 Leanne @ Simplicitlee November 4, 2010

I tottally agree that when you’re in a dark space in life, you think that everyone else deserves happiness except you. That was me for so long dealing with my anxiety, it still creeps up every now & then… and when it does, I try and remember the facts instead of busying my mind with the feelings (ex. if im anxious about a meeting with my boss, I stick to the facts: i’ve been working hard, and not the feelings: but what if he thinks im not working hard enough).

We all deserve happiness. I think everyone in their own way has the same issue. You have yours through disordered eating, I had mine through anxiety…. we’re all the same when it comes down to it, just looking to know we’re loved and supported.

:) great post Ang!

7 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day November 4, 2010

Beautifully said Angela.

Frankly, I had never heard of binge eating until I started reading your blog and I was a Psych major for goodness sakes! Our classes only focused on anorexia and bulimia. I have learned so much from you because of your openness with the subject and I hope it can start the healing process for others. Thanks for sharing.

8 Ida November 4, 2010

I love this post! I agree that every day is a fresh start- and I love that. I also can’t get enough of sketchie. His spots are so pretty.

9 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 4, 2010

I SO agree that binge eating is something that is swept under the rug and ignored so much. That’s why I never hesitate to openly share my history with it on my blog. I want others to see that there is no shame…and that they deserve to take the steps to overcome it too. And they CAN!

Great post, as always. :)

10 Sassy Molassy November 4, 2010

Love love love this! Thanks for continuing to share your journey with us.

11 Keri November 4, 2010

Thank you for the reminders :) Love the pics of Sketchie in the box!

12 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 4, 2010

Thank you for these posts Angela! I do think binge eating is common but it can easily be called “pigging out” or overindulging. I think it is much more serious than that.

I have had some disordered eating habits in the past and I know it was tough for me to tell Jason, but I’m so glad I did. I probably never would have stopped if I never got the courage to tell him face to face.

13 matt gordon November 4, 2010

i hope that you take this the right way, but it was painful for me to read this. it makes me think of other girls i have known that must have had a similar struggle and didnt get help. you ended it well. may both boys and girls be encouraged by your writing

14 Emily November 4, 2010

Amazing post Angela. As always, you continue to inspire me with your words, your life, and all the happiness that you spread through your blog. I had a major break through in my journey the other night. In two separate conversations, my mom and my boyfriend both asked me “why can’t you see how far you’ve come and all of the incredible things you have accomplished; be happy with yourself.” It has really started to hit me that I have to choose happiness for myself and for my life. Thanks for sharing your story :)

15 Becky November 4, 2010

“A new day is quite exciting if you stop and think about it. Not everyone has this chance.” Love that line and it is so true. Embracing each day is something I strive for but have to work constantly on. Thanks for the reminder :)

16 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' November 4, 2010

This post totally tugs at my heart strings. I had the exact same struggle– I had the HARDEST time talking about binge-eating with my husband! I had no problem talking about other diet or exercise habits… but binging is often a secret, humiliating struggle. When I finally did find the courage to talk about it with my husband, I broke down in tears! It was such an emotional release. And he didn’t turn his back on me either. ;) I truly think talking about it openly was a HUGE step towards my recovery! Just having it “out in the open” helps. And reading honest, thoughtful blogs like yours!

Oh, and Sketchie totally just made my day!

17 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman November 4, 2010

I wrote about something similar to this today, too. Our weight shouldn’t hang on the scale. Judging our lives and gauging our happiness on the pant size or weight or whatever just steals from us the ability to be happy no matter what.

18 Jenny November 4, 2010

beautifully written! I dealt heavily w/ disordered eating and what you typed is what i felt. thanks!

19 Katy @ A Healthy Shot November 4, 2010

Thank you so much for posting this Angela! This is such a hard topic to talk about. I’ve noticed that I have a much easier time sharing my struggles with eating/guilt with strangers on my blog than actually sharing with my friends or family. I’m slowly making progress and talking about it does help. Reading your story throughout the past year has really opened up to me that I wasn’t the only person struggling with these feelings, and that life didn’t have to be that way.

Love the pictures of Sketchie! Oh to be a cat :)

20 Caroline November 4, 2010

Thanks for this series, Angela. I got tears in my eyes reading this because the unhappiness sounds so much like me. I am working to change it but it is a very slow process. I’ve lost the time to run (taking classes and working full time) and have really been struggling with self-esteem these past few weeks and have been totally miserable. These posts help remind me that it doesn’t last forever!

21 Cyn November 4, 2010

Angela, I just loooove you! : ) No really, since I’ve discovered your blog, I haven’t missed 1 post. I’m sorry if I haven’t replied to one yet… I guess I was waiting for the right day to let you know how inspiring you are to me. BUT I love every single blogs you write. I love the positiveness in all your blogs and the recipes… OMG! I try one, once a day. No jokes! But they all make my husband happy; thanks for THAT ; ) You’re an amazing person; where do you find the energy for all this anyway?? LOL I can relate to a lot of your posts; I live in Mississauga and our family loves hiking. We love Kelso and Nemo. Have you ever been? Our engagement pictures were actually taken while hiking in Campbell River… My brother in law lives in Milton… Anyways… PLEASE keep up the writing; that’s what keeps me going during the long day at work.

22 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 4, 2010

Great post Ange. I love your honesty and openness, and you should be so proud of yourself for coming all this way. I’d like to take Sketchie up on that recommendation too… although I don’t think I have a box lid big enough! :)

23 Jamie November 4, 2010

This was a really beautiful post. I’m relatively new to your blog so I followed your links to read about your previous posts on binge eating. Although I too have had bouts of binge eating all my life, what I really struggle with is over exercising. I’m naturally thin and tall and have never been overweight but I feel like I have triggers (like you mentioned in your first binge eating post) such as stress, anxiety, working too many hours at my job, that just push me over the edge and I feel as though the only way to control it is to exercise (a bit to the extreme). Do you think you could do a post on this? I think many young women deal with emotional issues related to exercise and I’d love to hear about how other people feel about this issue too.

24 Kaitlyn (College Girl Runs) November 4, 2010

Thanks for this inspirational post. Your story has helped me through recovery and continues to help me each day. I love that you said that “the beauty of each day is that we have a chance to start fresh”. Beautiful quotation!

25 Erin November 4, 2010

Angela, thanks for writing this hearfelt post, and for your series– they have been so helpful in my health journey. It is nice to read someone opening up about a deep, thorny topic that is so hard to discuss. Thanks!!

26 Callie November 4, 2010

Beautiful post. So much that you said about negativity, rang true with the old me. And what you said about shame, still rings true to this day – as when I’m telling people why I eat raw – I often find myself just saying ‘I was admitted into a treatment center for disordered eating’, leaving out the Bulimia part. I’m open with my 8 year battle, but I’m not as open with the later.

When I read your blog however, I always want to go running back to mine and be more open about my exact struggles with bulimia – as I know, it will only help others that are suffering.

I commend your bravery :) Thanks as always, for sharing!

27 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 4, 2010

This is a lovely post! I know some of the things that make me happy, but I am also working constantly to figure out the rest.

I think that one of the keys to doing this is not to get frustrated by the process!

28 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 4, 2010

What a great post – binge eating is a hard one. It’s so “hush hush” whereas so many other eating disorders are easier to talk about. Thanks for being you!

29 amanda November 4, 2010

I went back and re-read all of this series and I cannot tell you how much I needed to read all of that today! I’m not technically a vegan (or even a vegetarian for that matter) but I can tell you without a doubt that I’d much rather be eating the good stuff that I see on your blog than the crap I’ve been putting in my body lately! Thank you for inspiring me.

30 Megan (Braise The Roof) November 4, 2010

Very thoughtful post, Angela. Although I am fortunate not to have suffered from an eating disorder (though I’ve certainly had moments of weakness, as I’m sure we all have) I think you’re words speak to more that just ED’s- you really put things into perspective!

31 Cindy Robinson November 4, 2010

Thank you for sharing this. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve felt I don’t deserve anything good in life. But I’m working day by day to realize that’s not true. And seeing your blog about such an important but simple yet perplexing topic makes me smile. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for openning up :) P.S. Your kitty rocks, he’s so cute!

32 J. November 4, 2010

Gosh, I feel I wish we could send an email each other’s way. I’m struggling right now with a lot, and need something guidance or advice or something. Falling. I admire how together you are. I feel so sucked in.

33 Judy November 4, 2010

Angela – that you for writing from your heart. It is refreshing to see such honesty.
I agree that each day is a gift and feel that we should treat it as such. I have been really working on living in the NOW. I can get so caught up in the past or worry about the future and that is not how I want to live my life. I also have been trying to practise self-love, self-care, and self-respect. Developing a deeper realationship with ourselves is so important.

34 Judy November 4, 2010

Ops – I meant to say ‘thank you’

35 Katie @ Keepingupwithkatie November 4, 2010

Hi Angela! I really like this post. I wrote something similar yesterday and thought you might enjoy it. I truly believe that finding happiness comes from accepting yourself and not trying to strive for impossible standards. An internal compass, as you say, can be found through little things in life like going for a hike, hanging out with your kitties, or baking something for others (and yourself!).

36 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 4, 2010

What a beautiful post Angela – thankyou for sharing so honestly your experiences :)

Ps – on a COMPLETELY unrelated topic…I made your strawberry oat squares and all I can say is WOW! I’ll be posting about it tonight :)

37 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe November 4, 2010

Great post, Angela. Made me tear up a little bit. I haven’t really dealt with an ED, but I’ve realized lately that I don’t think I do deserve happiness a lot of the time. I look at what my family has done and who they are, and I don’t think I have the ability to move beyond that. It’s like inside I believe I’m destined to fail at anything I try to do. I know that you are right about us having to choose happiness for ourselves…but sometimes it is just so hard. I’ll tell myself I believe I deserve to succeed, but my actions don’t show that I truly believe it.

Anyway, thanks for writing this post. I needed to hear it.

38 Jennifer@ knackfornutrition November 4, 2010

This post was very needed in my life this week. I have come a long way in my struggle, but it is still very hard. This past week in particular has been difficult. I have felt completely out of control.

Reading about other people’s struggles is comforting. Sometimes it is nice to hear that you are not fighting along.

39 Shanna, Like Banana November 4, 2010

I like Sketchie’s advice — I think I’ll take it ;)

40 Kelly November 4, 2010

Perfectly put!! Thank you for your willingness to share your story with us, Angela!

41 Beth @ bride in the little white dress November 4, 2010

Eloquently said Angela! Thank you for reminding us we all deserve happiness no matter what size we are (or want to be).

42 Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing November 4, 2010

“Once you look yourself in the eye and admit that you deserve to be happy, you now must do something about it.”

Thank you for that! I’m having a tough couple days. It’s really hard climbing my way out of it, but the alternative is definitely worse. What you wrote there is just another nudge in the right direction. Feeling a little more empowered, so thank you!

43 Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow November 4, 2010

I spent nearly 15 years of my life as a secret binge eater. Along with restricting food on a daily basis. I was the furthest from happy and that little voice in my head was long long lost.

Until one day I too decided to reclaim my happiness. I decided that I could change. I decided to change. Step 1 was a combination of two things: accept me and love me for me right then and there PLUS have the experience of freely talking about my past. I finally shared with everyone what I had been there. The weight that lifted, the heavy weight that I had carried and hid for so long was gone.

It was incredible…

Wonderful post!

44 Pure2raw Twins November 4, 2010

Amazing post. Just incredible story and journey you have and sharing it with all of us :) So inspiring. My sister and I suffered from food eating disorders along with obsessive working out, and your blog always helps remind us that we do have a unique light inside us waiting to shine! And to keep our heads up even on the bad days. Thanks!!! xoxo
~Lori

45 Clare @ Fitting It All In November 4, 2010

Beautiful post. I, too, was much more ashamed of my binge eating than my restricting. It made me feel…OUT of control as opposed to in control…fat instead of skinny. But opening up on my blog and letting people know has helped!

46 Kristen November 4, 2010

I have been following your blog for a long time and absolutely love the positivity you exude! I have to say that this post really hit home.. in a very positive way. My thoughts and feelings on my disordered eating mirror those that you talked about. It gave me the chills. From reading your blog, I know recovery is possible. I just need to make myself a priority and act upon life rather than reacting to it. Thank you so much for always being so open in your writing. It feels amazing to be able to connect and relate!

47 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 4, 2010

Angela, what a beautiful post. So honest, so poignant, so lovely that you have been generous enough to SHARE this all…with the world, with your closest “friends” and readers; it WILL help people. And Im sure in the hour or so the post has been up, it’s already helped people, just based on the comments :) You are an inspiration to so many….don’t ever forget that. But also as you said in the post, don’t forget to take care of yourself, to remember that you DO deserve to be happy, and have that internet compass point squarely in the direction of self-love, self-care, and self-compassion, too.

As women, as bloggers, as humans, some of us are wired to give and give and give…and I am so happy that you not only give to everyone, but that you have found a way to nourish that light within yourself.

“Each and every one of us has a special and unique light inside of us just waiting to be embraced. ”
So well said, such an eloquent post. Far deeper than my mental bandwidth can even travel today…thank you :)

xoxo

48 *Andrea* November 4, 2010

love what you said here averie :)

49 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 4, 2010

50 Kate November 4, 2010

Hi Angela :) I just wanted to take a minute and thank you for your blog. You helped me out so much and I am now eating for my health and not for calories. I was how you were with the binge eating and then going into a panic and getting too skinny. What’s sad is that I have always been at a healthy weight! Not exactly my happy weight.. but i was never overweight or too skinny. I just was dissatisfied with how I was treating and fueling my body so no weight was ever good enough; whether that being 114 pounds or 140. Thank you for shining the light on eating the right way and for the right reasons! I no longer am hard on myself with my food choices and don’t over think what I eat anymore, I am just eating right and loving it. YAYY GREEN MONSTERS IN THE MORNING!! Who knew that I’d be so excited to wake up each morning and it’s all because of a green drink! I am ready to live my life as a healthy and energetic person. I know this will be an incredible journey, and I’m happy to know that you and your blog will be here for me every step of the way! So thank you again, words cannot express how appreciative I am to you for helping me find contentment with food. I am ready and rarin’ to GLOW!!

With Love,
Kate

51 Lisa November 4, 2010

Thank you for sharing your story about binge eating. I think it’s more common than people think, and needs to be discussed.

52 Stefanie November 4, 2010

Beautifully written. Thanks for sharing! :)

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2010

Thanks everyone, you are so inspiring!

54 stacey-healthylife November 4, 2010

Fantastic!!!

55 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA November 4, 2010

Thanks for the lift. It’s hard to imagine you ever faced these problems because you seem so healthy, balanced, and happy now.

And I agree that it’s a road. Every time I think I have it all figured out and I’ll never have problems again, I have a little stumble. I just learn to pick myself up and keep going!

56 Nichole November 4, 2010

Such an uplifting post. You are an inspiration to women everywhere!

57 Annie@stronghealthyfit November 4, 2010

Thank you so much for sharing this, Angela. You are so inspiring and have definitely helped me with my recovery. You usually seem so put together, balanced, and healthy that it’s almost unbelievable that you have struggled with binge eating. I love that you are willing to talk about your struggle along with your daily, healthy life today :-)

58 Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) November 4, 2010

Reading your blog definitely helps me get over the slight disordered eating habits I acquired after losing some weight healthfully. The other day I stopped weighing myself everyday and it is THE BEST choice I have made, to have confidence in myself to eat healthy and confidence in my body to stay at a healthy weight. This one small change has already made me love my body about 100 times more! I’m still finding my way to perfect happiness concerning my body, but everyday I get a step closer. Your blog is a HUGE help. Thank You!

59 Amber November 4, 2010

Angela,

I have been reading your blog for a few months now and I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for having the courage to talk about your disordered eating. Thank you for showing me that I am not the only one who secretly binge eats. Thank you for showing me that I am not the only one who feels ashamed and out of control. Thank you for showing me that there is hope for me and that I can conquer this problem. I look to Oh She Glows for encouragement and inspiration every day, so again, THANK YOU!

Amber

60 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious November 4, 2010

i love coming to your blog for your awesome recipes and am truly enjoying these types of posts….they are deep, meaningful and encouraging!! beautifully written. i like what you said “there is nothing to be ashamed of.” no fear. we all deserve joy, happiness and love :)

61 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) November 4, 2010

I love when you write posts like this , and sometimes they come at the perfect time. This was beautifully written and I love coming to your blog every day because I can relate so well. Your beauty shines from the inside out Angela and I’m so glad you’ve found happiness and are at peace with your struggles. You have, are, and will always continue to help so many out women, including myself, and I thank you for that :)

62 kell November 4, 2010

your inner strength and beauty always shines so brightly and in such a way that helps me trust everything will be okay.
thank you!

63 Hannah November 4, 2010

Thank you for sharing this. I definitely needed to read something uplifting and inspiring today!

64 Camille November 4, 2010

I had a very similar attitude about happiness during my eating disorder. I never thought I deserved to be happy and as a result, I never allowed myself to be in a loving relationship. When I met my current boyfriend of almost 2 years, it was like I was suddenly allowed to be happy and I gradually began recovering.

65 Cait @ A Bicycle Built for Two November 4, 2010

Your story inspires me everyday to live a healthy lifestyle. I have just recently started reading your blog and absolutely love it-check it every day :) I have been making lots of your recipes and LOVE them!

66 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 4, 2010

Great post Angela! Personal struggles can be so soul-sucking if you keep them to yourself. Even if it’s scary, it helps so much to confide in someone, even just one person. I found that once I told my friend about my disordered eating, I finally admitted to myself that I had a problem, and I could start to fix it from there. Who knows if I would have had the strength to work on overcoming my problems, had I not told my friend.

67 *Andrea* November 4, 2010

angela, you are a beautiful writer! i love everything you said here because you are so honest and i can relate 100% . especially about losing your moral compass, feeling ashamed and just helpless each day… i know i am a kind person who loves to help others and my friends but my binge eating and also restricting/overexercising led me to say things to family and ignore certain friends/events because i didn’t think i was worthy – so i often lied to others. i thought life would always be hard for me but when you embrace your inner strength and shared humanity with others it is so much easier to live life free as a bird :-) sky’s the limit!

love your blog! have a great weekend

68 Amanda November 4, 2010

You are such a beautiful writter! I love your blog, thanks for all the inspiration!

69 Cara Craves... November 4, 2010

Your writing is so real and true.

Your kitty always cracks me up!

70 Marta November 4, 2010

thank you for sharing Angela! I needed to hear those words today, every day is a fresh start! I’m struggling with my confidence today, I’m finding myself let down by unrealistic expectations as I’m navigating my way through school as a mature student, instead of enjoying the successes I’ve had along the way. Your words serve as a great reminder that we need to be gentle with ourselves and not let negativitiy overshadow the things we should be grateful for in life. It’s a wonderful feeling to open my laptop and find kind, reassuring, life affirming words to turn to. way to go lady :)

71 Dee November 4, 2010

Angela – a million thousand and one thank you’s for this post. I am currently struggling with a work related issue and this post has reiterated to me that I deserve happiness and that I am worthy. :)

72 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life November 4, 2010

This post is amazing. Thank you for posting it.

And those pictures of Sketchie made my day. :)

73 Mindy November 4, 2010

Bravo on an inspiring post. Your words are beautiful and I hope people take them to heart. On a side note, your cat is one of the most gorgeous cats I have ever seen- what breed is it?

74 Fanta November 4, 2010

I just love your Sketchie!! he he Thanks for a great post :)

75 Jennifer November 4, 2010

Awesome post Angela!!! You are right on the mark.
Thank you for being brave enough to be honest with us!!! You truly are an inspiration.

76 Sarah November 4, 2010

Beautiful :)

77 Maddie November 4, 2010

You are an inspiration Angela. Great blog : )

78 Bridget November 4, 2010

This post really brightened my day Ange :) I was having one of those “blah” days where I just feel so negative, but I really feel so much better after reading this. It gave me the reality check I needed.

Thank you for talking honestly about something that soooo many women suffer with, but that far too many women hide

79 Red Deception November 4, 2010

This is lovely. You have come a long way in an exceptionally positive fashion. I predict you will have an amazing future :)

80 monicanelsonfitness November 4, 2010

Wow Angela. You are helping so many others out there. You have a lot of courage :) Great post.

81 Eleanor November 4, 2010

Reading anyone’s Road to Health is inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing this with us – it gives those of us who struggle a glimmer of hope, and you have done just that. You embody everything about life that is worth living for; health, happiness, freedom, individuality.

Suffering is not a sign of failure, and asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness. It takes so much strength to openly ask for help and support and advice, and even more strength to accept that help and use it. Talking gets it out and into the open so we aren’t so heavily burdened with our troubles. There’s nothing shameful about struggling, but there’s everything wrong with struggling alone.

Thank you again, Angela. You really do give me hope for a better future.

Eleanor

82 Wei-Wei November 4, 2010

For some reason, I tell the story of my anorexia and restriction, but now that I’m still working on the binging, I’m afraid to tell people that… at the end of it all I’m still insecure, and I would rather self-destruct while thin than self-destruct while fat. It’s still something that I struggle with and I’m trying to eat intuitively, but I think the core issue to deal with is still self-body-image.

83 kellyO November 4, 2010

Beautiful. Your positive words help make the day better. Thank you…

84 Jessica@tastyandtrim November 4, 2010

Reading about your journey is truly inspiring. It gives me the hope that I need to overcome all of my struggles :)

85 Stacey November 4, 2010

Thanks for the post Angela. I’m pretty new to your blog so this is the first time I’ve EVER heard anything about binge eating, but I”m sitting here now in the Ah ha moment. In fact, I have been trying to control that all afternoon and been very frustrated with it. Your blog is exactly what I needed. Thank you.

86 Laughter-Loving Stacy November 4, 2010

Fantastic! That’s exactly what I write about. We all deserve happiness in our lives. :)

87 Casey Thomas November 4, 2010

Very heartfelt, gorgeous post Angela.

Thanks for sharing your journey. Binge eating truly is such a huge epidemic and we need more poeple being honest and open about it.

Thanks!

88 Andrea Bloomfield November 4, 2010

Very inspiring. I have found myself in a rut lately with life throwing curveball after curveball. Your post leaves me with hope and anticipation for what wonderful things tomorrow brings. T

89 Camille @ La Bella Vita November 4, 2010

Thank-you for your openness and honesty on the subject. It is a refreshing point of a view!

90 Jessica @ The Process of Healing November 4, 2010

There are no words for how beautiful that post is :)

91 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) November 4, 2010

92 Kristy November 4, 2010

Thankyou for your words of inspiration. I was following your post for a few Months and was inspired to adopt a healthy lifestyle, until then i had never heard of things like quinoa, cacao nibs, chia seeds or green monsters but really enjoyed all of it. unfortunatley i reverted back to my old ways in the last couple of Months and i miss how good i felt everyday. Reading your road to recovery has once again inspired me to make the change and realise that i haven’t failed, it was just a pot hole in my road. Thanks again!

93 Jackie November 4, 2010

Thank you so much for writing this post. I still struggle everyday with self worth. I am doing so many positive things in my life including changing around my whole diet and being free of restrictions and calorie counting. The weight loss is sloooooow and it’s very frustrating at times but I must say I have tons more energy and feel wonderful. I am happy but I still have that voice in the back of my head saying if I were only x lbs skinnier. Hopefully on my road to health that little voice will eventually keep quiet and I will be truly happy with myself.

94 Jess November 4, 2010

Your story is inspiring because you have come such a long way. Thanks so much for sharing.

95 Alice November 5, 2010

I am cyber-clapping you right now! You’re spot-on. It’s so true isn’t it – I feel so EMBARASSED about binge eating. Yet not so much about restricting and bulimia? Weird.

Lovely, honest, wise words Angela :)

96 nicolene November 5, 2010

YOU GOT HEART ANGELA..AND THATS WHAT MAKES YOU AND YOUR BLOG SO DARN SPECIAL.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK OF LIVING A PASSION FILLED LIFE

97 Christina November 5, 2010

Thank you so much for this post. It is as if I had said that because I have gone through the same for many years. The way out is hard but every step forward is a step towards a happier life…
Love Christina

98 kaila November 5, 2010

great post! maybe i missed it but did you already do your entry for part 7 of the food blogger contest?!?!?!?! i wanted to vote for ya!

99 Kristy November 5, 2010

I appreciate you and (VERY MUCH!) your blog! Even though I dont know you IRL, no matter what – without fail I open OSG and there is SOMETHING on every page that stimulates a positive emotions inside of me. Joy, Smiles, Comfort, Hope, Love…. <3 I truly am happy for you, it is wonderful to see someone living the life that so many of us work towards :-)

100 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 5, 2010

Loving this post!

101 Desi @ The Palate Peacemaker November 5, 2010

Angela, reading this post – like reading every one of your posts – makes me… well… glow. Someday, I’ll meet you and give you the biggest hug in the world in an effort to communicate just how much you’ve given to me. You’re my hero! :)

102 dyw November 5, 2010

Thank you so much for your honesty and gentle sprirt.

103 Karmen November 5, 2010

This is just what i needed to read. I have always battled with negative thoughts. At times they consume and control my life. I have good days and bad days. With age i have learned to focus on the good thoughts to weed out the negative. But lately i have been in a slump and it is draining. Thank you for your inspiring words.

104 jenn November 5, 2010

That was absolutely beautiful! I really needed that today!!

105 Laura November 5, 2010

Hey Ange!
I’ve been a reader for a while, but I’ve only commented a few times before. I just wanted to pop in and say *thank you* for not only writing about binge eating but also taking the time to blog every day, be positive, and share all your creative recipes! I’ve struggled with binge eating for a LONG time, but for the past year, I’ve finally been able to pull myself out and get control. I’m not perfect, but for the first time in a long time, I’m HAPPY! And it’s amazing. Your blog has been a huge part of the healing I’ve done to recover from binge eating. Not only have I read and re-read your posts on the topic, but I always feel inspired by your recipes–so now I love to cook! And loving to cook has given me a totally different (non-disordered) view of food. So thank you so much for sharing your life with the blogworld–you can’t even imagine what a difference it’s made for me! (and I know I’m not the only one).
Carry on, girl!
xoxo
Laura

106 Christine November 5, 2010

Angela, I can’t tell you how much your kindness in sharing your story has helped me. Just this week, after 15 years (15 YEARS!) of struggling alone with binge eating and the shame and struggle that goes along with it, I went to see a therapist to start trying to work through it. And this post, along with the amazing, inspiring comments from others, inspired me to finally tell my boyfriend (who I have lived with and kept this from for 3 years) about my eating disorder. He was wonderful and supportive, and I know I am on a good path now! Thank you!

107 Sami November 5, 2010

again, you seem to know JUST what i need to hear. i DO deserve happiness :)

love you girl!

xo.

108 Corey @ the runner's cookie November 5, 2010

Beautiful post Angela – I know that me and so many others can relate to and appreciate your writing about disordered eating. You have come an amazingly far way and are such an inspiration to those still struggling. Thank you!

109 Amber K November 5, 2010

I think it is so sad that people are more okay with others having anorexia than those who have had problems with binge eating. It seems to be this huge shameful secret. You are so inspiring in that you are able to talk about your past and show how you have made a better future. And I know you have helped many people deal with their own disordered eating, including myself!

110 Kate@andwhenshesays November 5, 2010

Oh my goodness – I just love your Road to Health series, and the timing of this one is, like, divine intervention. Thank you for the words, the reinforcement, the EXAMPLE that you provide that it is possible to move forward into true happiness and health. It is so comforting to read the words of someone who has been there and makes me so excited about my own future free of disordered thoughts. It truly is a journey, isn’t it??

111 LizLivingVegan November 5, 2010

I’m so glad you’ve been able to bring a topic like binge eating to life. I think you’re right, it’s almost easier to talk about calorie restriction and exercise-bulimia (not that it’s easy to talk about those, but you know what I mean) and I think the more binge eating gets talked about, the more help can be done. Thanks for posting about this!

112 Melanie November 5, 2010

Awesome post. I’m currently writing a research essay at my university about how constructions of femininity lead to eating disorders. I thought my road to health was basically over, but writing/researching for this thesis has been so therapeutic and empowering. It’s like an extended epilogue to my story haha.

113 Nessy November 5, 2010

A beautiful post. You continue to inspire me day in and day out. You are an amazing person. Thank you.

114 Allie (Nutty FlexitALLIEan) November 5, 2010

I feel the same way about disclosing binge eating. I had trouble for long periods of time (and sometimes still do) and it’s so tough to share with others- because most people really don’t understand! Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experiences with everyone- it’s so therapeutic and comforting to know we’re not alone.

115 Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace November 6, 2010

I love these posts. They make me smile and especially today as I will be running my first half marathon since Dec. 2005….woohoo! Thanks Angela for making my day!

116 Angie November 9, 2010

Thank you so much for this post. As a recovering anorexic and binge eater, I completely understand everything you write about. Your journey inspires me so much!!! It definitely helps to hear your experience as it helps me to be brave when I have those moments of depression and self doubt.