Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Well, it excites me to know that others share my enthusiasm for these crazy posts. And boy, sometimes do I ever feel like I am slowly going crazy. Voting is now open, if you care to help me advance to the next round.

While the challenges are certainly demanding, I am having lots of fun. I enjoy that each challenge gives a lot of room for interpretation and creativity so I don’t feel too restricted with what I ‘have’ to do.

You know what else I enjoy?

Using leftovers in fun ways.

The Protein Power Chili that I made for Challenge #6 made a huge pot and quite frankly, I am getting sick of eating bowl after bowl of chili. Sure, I could freeze it, but my freezer is already brimming with goodies (Power Me Up Pumpkin Sesame Cookies and Strawberry Oat Squares, I am looking at you!).

I used the chili in place of a pasta sauce in this layered casserole recipe.

20101025IMG 8674 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Adapted from here.

Ingredients:

• 2 medium eggplants
  • 1.5 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups leftover homemade chili OR pasta sauce
  • One 15-ounce can navy (great northern) beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup spinach (optional)
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2-3/4 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
  • Vegan parmesan cheese, for garnish

Directions: Preheat oven to 450F. Peel the eggplants and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Lay on a lined baking sheet and pre-cook eggplant only for about 15 minutes, or until shrivelled (see picture below). Remove from oven and cool.  While the eggplant is cooking, slice the zucchini and set aside. Now prepare your bean filling, by processing the drained beans, herbs, salt, garlic, olive oil, and nutritional yeast (optional) in a food processor until smooth. Gather the eggplant, zucchini, sauce, and bean filling and get ready to layer your casserole.

Preheat oven to 425. Grease a mid-sized rectangular casserole dish with oil. Put a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of the dish as shown below. Arrange 1/3 of the eggplant slices over the sauce. Spread 1/2 of the bean filling over the eggplant, and put half of the zucchini on top. Add a layer of the sauce. Repeat eggplant, bean filling, zucchini, and sauce. Place the final layer of eggplant over the top and pour the remaining sauce evenly over top, spreading with a spoon.

Bake for about 40 minutes at 425F. Once zucchini is cooked remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle on some vegan parmesan cheese if desired. Makes 4-6 servings.

First things first, pre-bake the eggplant until it gets all shrivelled up like my hands after too many dishes.

20101025IMG 8631 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

That’s about right.

20101025IMG 8629 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

(Note: 2 sliced eggplants made about 3 baking sheets worth!)

Slice up your zucchini!

20101025IMG 8652 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

20101025IMG 8653 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Now make the creamy filling with navy beans, herbs, garlic, and sea salt.

20101025IMG 8640 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

The original recipe called for 1 cup of spinach in the creamy filling, however I didn’t have any. I would use it if you have some, but by no means is it necessary for it to work.

Lightly oil a casserole dish and spread on a thin layer of chili or pasta sauce.

20101025IMG 8641 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

That’ll do.

20101025IMG 8646 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Now add a layer of sliced (pre-cooked) eggplant. Try not to eat them all before using! Or maybe that is just me who loves baked eggplant fresh out of the oven.

20101025IMG 8647 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Followed by a layer of creamy filling…

20101025IMG 8650 thumb4   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

(It is a bit hard to spread around, but not to worry!)

Next a layer of zucchini…

20101025IMG 8658 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Followed by a layer of chili or pasta sauce

20101025IMG 8659 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Now repeat the full set.

20101025IMG 8660 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole20101025IMG 8650 thumb5   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole   20101025IMG 8662 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole20101025IMG 8663 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

And finish with a layer of eggplant and sauce!

20101025IMG 8664 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

20101025IMG 8670 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Bake for about 40 minutes at 425F.

20101025IMG 8676 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Let cool for about 10 minutes and serve.

This casserole is weird and wonderful and downright crazy, but I loved it. Lots of different textures and flavours. The creamy filling was also quite nice!

20101025IMG 8679 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

I almost caught myself thinking the eggplant was a lasagna noodle! The eggplant really worked in this casserole.

20101025IMG 8692 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

I sprinkled lots of Vegan parmesan cheese on top for fun.

20101025IMG 8698 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Now, I shall enjoy a Pecan Pie truffle for dessert and finish up my work for the day.

What recipes would you like to see coming up on OSG?

Leah October 25, 2010

I know you aren’t gluten-free but you are my fav non-dairy baking guru and I’d love to see what wonderful dairy free AND gluten free desserts you could come up with for the holidays!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

wow that is a challenge indeed! :)

Amber K October 26, 2010

That is definitely a challenge…and EXACTLY what I was going to ask for! :)

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks October 25, 2010

That looks really tasty and perfect for fall! I’d love to see some inventive recipes for different types of squash — we’ve been eating lots of kabocha, spaghetti, delicata, and acorn, and butternut squashes around here and I’d love some new ideas!

sarah October 25, 2010

I just had breakfast, that looks so yummy. Can’t ait to try

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 25, 2010

Angela this looks delicious! I too make a huge pot of chili at a time and after three or four nights of eating chili I am sick of it!

I love your desserts — every time I make any of them they turn out wonderful – keep em coming!

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 25, 2010

I just made that dish deconstructed with my leftover squash and eggplant! Wish I had seen this recipe first and made it more fun:)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 25, 2010

i’m all for a really creamy vegan mac and cheese…complete with breadcrumbs on top! :)

Ashley October 25, 2010

I 2nd this idea!!! But no Daiya cheese ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 25, 2010

ash, you know me too well…no daiya please!

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing October 25, 2010

I’ll 3rd that!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 25, 2010

blech daiya!

Kathi October 25, 2010

I have to agree, Heather! I am looking for a good vegan mac and cheese

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 25, 2010

I made one last night! It had broccoli and a crunchy crust!

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow October 25, 2010

YUMMoooooo! Yummo indeed. :)

How about a crazy pancake layered breakfast dish of fabulous goodness!!! With the weather getting so cold I’m all about a hot breakfast these days.

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow October 25, 2010

YUMMoooooo! Yummo indeed. :)

Jordana October 25, 2010

I would love to see Vegan Stuffed Shells. It would be awesome to have them stuffed with something besides tofu, but still lots of protein!

Melissa October 25, 2010

That looks delicious and healthy! “Weird, wonderful, and downright crazy” concoctions often taste the best!
I recently saw a jarred vegan queso that I’d love to have homemade, so it’s not $6 a jar after shipping… (http://www.cosmosveganshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NMUVQ&Category_Code=CF&Product_Count=0)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 25, 2010

oh yummo! What a great way to use leftover chili! And I love your idea of using beans for ‘white sauce’ :)

Melissa October 25, 2010

I love how creative your picnic for challenge 6 was!! I have been dying to try to come up with a cookie that includes sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and maple syrup. Think you’d be up for the challenge?

Lisa October 25, 2010

Perfect timing! I have been dying to make an eggplant lasagna lately! =) Thanks for the recipe AGAIN Angela!

Gillian October 25, 2010

Oh my–you must have me for dinner one day–your recipes are stellar!

Estela @ Weekly Bite October 25, 2010

What a creative dish!! I’m sure I would think the eggplant was lasagna noodles too :)

Felicia October 25, 2010

i love using veggies instead of pasta! looks delicious! and some healthy decadent desserts for the holidays of course :)

Bridget October 25, 2010

I love these step by step photo recipe posts. So much fun :)

It’s hard to say what kind of recipes I’d like to see on your blog because you’ve pretty much mastered everything! Maybe some drink recipes like homemade lattes. Or for the holidays, a vegan eggnog would be interesting..

Amy October 25, 2010

I agree with Heather! I would love a good old fashioned mac-n-cheese. Made healthy of course, but still kid friendly.
I would also love a vegetarian version of chicken noodle soup. I can’t quite figure that one out.
Great posts!

MaryBe October 25, 2010

I don’t think you’ve tried making this yet – vegan tuna noodle casserole. I kind of miss that!

Meg October 25, 2010

I found your site about a week ago and I’m totally addicted to your site. Every morning I love checking to see if you’ve made an update.
Your vegan recipes are so creative. I have to try this Casserole!
You have my vote for Project Food Blog Challenge!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) October 25, 2010

I love eggplant but it never turns out quite right when I roast it, I’ll have to try layering it in a casserole :)

Daniel October 25, 2010

Minimalist vegan meals! Simply and easy lunches and dinners that people with less time(*cough* college students *cough*) can make with limited cooking supplies and time.

Or, because I thought this was really weird and I don’t know how it would work…, you could make a vegan souffle!

Ashley October 25, 2010

Sometimes when I look at your posts I’m just like “drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr”….in astonishment. I love the way you think…and might make chili again JUST to make this :)

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing October 25, 2010

Some holiday recipes would be awesome! I need healthy, not-too-exotic, vegan recipes that will please the family fussypants! No small task, but I have faith in you, haha!

Camille October 25, 2010

That looks awesome!
I would love some holiday recipes!

Vanessa October 25, 2010

I just made the protein power chili. It was sooo good!
I pack a lunch everyday so some new lunchbox items that keep without refrigeration would good.

Maddie October 25, 2010

I would love to see some vegan snacks that are fast to make and easy to grab on the go. Maybe vegan protein bars?

Holly October 25, 2010

I love all the recipes you post and am excited to make the caserole!!!

I love green bean casserole and this will be the first holiday that I am unable to eat it. I am interested to see if you could create a vegan clone to this tasty meal??

Thanks for all your hard work! I look forward to reading your posts daily =)

Hope October 25, 2010

Mmmmmmm….
…that is all

Mimi (Gingersnaps) October 25, 2010

Oooh, that looks so good!

Well, right now I’m trying to go through the following ingredients in my pantry, before I go to London for a semester. But I’m not the most experienced vegan cook, so I’d love to see anything involving these lovelies:

- Cashews
- Pepitas
- Macadamia nuts
- Sunflower seeds
- Nooch
- Wild rice
- Bulghur

Melissa October 25, 2010

Hi Angela,
I never comment but always read and love your blog. Your project food blog entries are amazing! I have been wondering about a vegan version of french onion soup. Since being vegetarian, I really miss it!
Thanks!

Sharon October 25, 2010

I missed the last part of the post

“What recipes would you like to see coming up on OSG?”

I thought everyone was being awfully demanding telling you ingredients and recipes to work on. Took me a while to figure it out ;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 25, 2010

I second the request for meals involving squash! I’d love some new ideas for them. :D

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 25, 2010

Ummm Umm Ummm
Something Jamaican!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 25, 2010

yummm this looks good! i only started eating eggplant a couple of months ago but i don’t know why i waited so long!

Kate October 25, 2010

Oh my you come up with the most creative recipes…typically I end up drooling all over my computer. I know you aren’t gluten free but I would love to have some new recipes to mix up mine. Perhaps some gluten free holiday recipes :D I know it’s a challenge… but I am sure you can succeed.

Meredith Lilly October 25, 2010

Awesome recipe — I made a whole bunch of white bean dip a couple days ago and didn’t know what I’d do with it all! Seriously, the recipes that come up on this blog are too perfect.. it’s a little freaky sometimes!

I would love to see some fall salads. I love the type with a warm dressing or topping that wilts the greens a little. Mmmm.

Rebecca October 25, 2010

A vegan fruit cake for Christmas.

Tina October 25, 2010

Youre apple chips got me thinking of vegetable chips made of a variety of vegetables! would love to see that!

Eden October 25, 2010

leftovers are fantastic! Ever chef I’ve worked with says a dish is always tastier when its recycled. I work in food and you seem to have covered so many food bases already on osg. Can you give me a recipe to find prince charming?

Page 1 of 3123»