Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

I think I caught the bread making bug. And I like it.

20101020IMG 7711 thumb   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

For years, I was scared of baking bread. I had a horrifying experience trying to make 100% whole grain spelt bread that came out flat as a pancake. I didn’t think I would ever recover from that and I assumed that I just wasn’t bread baker material. This week I realized that while there are some rules that you need to follow, it really isn’t that hard at all! Most of the work is ‘hands off’ while you are letting the dough rise and you can do other things, such as weird photoshoots in the woods or watching NCIS with your cat.

20101021IMG 7730 thumb   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

My next conquest was a Garlic Knot. I was a bit scared about making bread into knots, but it turned out to be so easy I almost laughed when I made them.

Repeat after me: I will put my bread making fears aside and give bread baking another chance.

20101021IMG 7723 thumb   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

Itty Bitty Herbed Garlic Pumpkin Knots with Vegan Parmesan Cheese

Adapted from Neverhomemaker.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup very warm water
  • 2 tsp instant dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tsp dried herbs (I used mixed basil, oregano, thyme, parsley)
  • 1 & 3/4 cups unbleached bread flour

Herbed garlic spread w/ Parmesan cheese:

Directions: In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients (flour, salt, yeast, dried herbs). In a smaller bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (syrup, pumpkin, olive oil). Once those are mixed quickly add in your very warm water and mix well. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir well. When the mixture becomes too dry to stir, place the dough onto a floured surface and knead it for 2-3 minutes until it comes together into a ball. You will need to add quite a bit of flour since the dough is quite sticky from the pumpkin. When the dough is no longer tacky to touch (but not dried out), place it into an oiled bowl with olive oil and gently cover the dough in oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise for 2 hours.

After 1 and a half hours, grab your pizza stone if you have one, and preheat it in the oven at 450F. If you don’t have a pizza stone, grab a baking sheet and line it with a non-stick mat or parchment. If you are using a pizza stone, grab a Peel and sprinkle on cornmeal. After 2 hours, take your dough, punch out the air, and lay it on a floured surface. Gently press it out so that it forms a small rectangle and then take a pizza roller and cut strips approx. 1/2-3/4” width by 6-8 inches in length. You can make them any size you want though! I had to play around with it for a bit to see what I liked. Grab a strip and make it into a knot. You can tuck the ends back into the centre or leave them hanging (I left them hanging).

Place the knots onto the Peel OR onto the baking sheet. Once you have all your knots made, place into the oven at 450F for about 11-12 minutes until slightly golden on the top. Spread on the herbed garlic spread with a pastry brush or add all ingredients into a bowl and toss. Serve immediately. I didn’t have to tell you that right? Makes approx. 14 small knots. You can also double this recipe and freeze half of the dough for later.

20101020IMG 7703 thumb   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

A word about the pumpkin- I didn’t notice the taste in the knots. Next time I might leave it out or you can also try adding some spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, etc to try and bring out the flavour a bit more.

20101020IMG 7705 thumb   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

20101020IMG 77061   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots 20101020IMG 7708 thumb   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

20101020IMG 7711 thumb1   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

My favourite part!

20101020IMG 7715 thumb   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

Now let the yeast do the work and let it rise for 2 hours. Or five if you are like me (I got busy & distracted!).

20101020IMG 7718 thumb   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

Flatten the dough into a small rectangle and then cut into strips. Take a strip and simply tie into a knot. You are done! You can play around with how big you like them. I made some larger ones too, but I didn’t find they looked as cute as the itty bitty ones.

Bake at 450F for 11-12 minutes (that was on a pizza stone so I am not sure if the time will vary on a baking sheet). Note: Don’t spread on the garlic mixture until after it comes out of the oven.

20101021IMG 7723 thumb1   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

The Herbed Garlic spread is out of this world. I highly suggest making it. The vegan parmesan cheese, Earth Balance, minced garlic, and herbs really made the knots come alive.

20101021IMG 7726 thumb   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

This was one of the first things I have made in a while where Eric did not mention anything about chocolate! Success.

20101021IMG 7729 thumb   Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

What is your favourite kind of bread? Store bought and homemade…

I love multigrain bread with TONS of seeds on it, so that is certainly on my list to bake. I also would love to make a pumpernickel bread and make a homemade vegan spinach dip inside it. Mmmmm.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 21, 2010

These are SO adorable! Perfect for a fall-themed party!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 21, 2010

I love homemade bead but have never made my own. Bread is certainly one of those fear foods that I feel like I would certainly mess up if I tried to make it.

claire October 21, 2010

Yum, I also have the neverhomemaker recipe bookmarked and this just reminded me I need to get on that! These looks sooo good….

I also adore seedy bread!

Amanda (Eating Up) October 21, 2010

My favorite kind of bread is the same as yours–ones with lots of seeds in it!

christina cadden October 21, 2010

mmm, they look amazing!

Kelsi October 21, 2010

the combo of pumpkin, garlic and parma sounds like a party in my mouth.

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker October 21, 2010

Angela — They’re beautiful! Glad you liked them. Yum!

Cindy Robinson October 21, 2010

I recently got over my fear of baking bread (well, I’m in the process!) and love that you always have the basic ingredients on hand, AND that you can do something for two hours or five in your case :) I used to think it was restrictive because of the rising time, but turns out, you can do lots of other things while it’s doing it’s magic!

I’ve only made one kind of bread: Artisan Bread. You can leave the batch of dough in your fridge for a week or two, and just make loaves when you feel like it :) It’s also good for grilling pizza!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 21, 2010

Homemade bread is the best — but the few times I have made it have been disasters. The first time, the bread weighed about 10 lbs! It was really bad.

Angela I love how these look! Anything with a garlic spread on top is right up my alley.

I really like crunchy, crusty loaves of bread spread with butter :)

kathleen October 21, 2010

sourdough. i have been meaning to attempt a gluten free sourdough for months now but the length of time it takes for the starter plus the fact that i will inevitably screw it up a few times seems daunting… maybe next week =)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman October 21, 2010

Those are so pretty. I love the color. My favorite bread is a fresh loaf of French bread. With a little cheese (and wine, naturally) it’s perfect.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 21, 2010

These are so cute! And you managed to make perfect knot shapes! :D

My favourite bread is also really seedy multigrain bread. Right now I’m loving Rudolph’s Bakery Bavarian multigrain bread from Loblaws.

Lizzie October 21, 2010

I get any bread from Whole Foods (their own brand, which is fine), though I want to start making my own to save some $$, at least the kind you can use as a side for soups etc. I LOVE bread!! Prefer something wholemeal with grains and seeds, but also love a good fresh white loaf (French, Ciabatta, Paesano etc). When I lived with my aunt and uncle they had a bread making machine. It loved cutting a fresh slice from that and it made amazing toast. So yes, I love bread!! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 21, 2010

hands down homemade! holy wow, i am DROOLING over these…the more garlic the better :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 21, 2010

Oh how I wish I had some of those! They look delicious. Believe it or not, I am NOT a huge bread fan. I can take it or leave it. I’d rather have more rich desserts than bread!

Lauren M. October 21, 2010

Even if you didn’t notice the pumpkin, at least it was another way to get some veggies in!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2010

Very true! =) I didnt think of that.

jenna October 21, 2010

these look so warm and wonderful!! mmmmmmmmmm! your pictures are improving more and more everyday! they look great angela!

Ashley October 21, 2010

What about experimenting with gluten free flours – like brown rice flour? Or buckwheat flour?

Felicia October 21, 2010

so adorable! i actually made little rolls last thanksgiving with poppyseeds and they came out so delicious- i never really bake bread though, if i do i would only want to use whole wheat flour, spelt or kamut.. i did just make cornbread, that counts right? :)

Emily October 21, 2010

These look awesome Ange! I really want to start learning to make homemade bread. I can manage the bread maker but without it I’m not so sure. I love multrigrain too but right now my favorite is Trader Joe’s Organic Spelt Bread! You would love it, next time you get a chance to get TJ’s stuff check it out :)

Melissa October 21, 2010

Yum! Those are a perfect fall-themed side.
You MUST make vegan spinach (artichoke) dip! Pre-vegan, I would devour that often.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 21, 2010

This bread looks delicious. I love soda bread and pumpernickel bread!

Stefanie October 21, 2010

I love making bread but never seem to have time to make it. However, I did make your dinner rolls from your Thanksgiving post. They are wonderfully soft and fluffy. These garlic knots will be on my to do list. My favorite homemade bread is french bread. It is best the same day it was made but is not bad the day after (if there is any left). :)

Amber K October 21, 2010

Since being diagnosed with celiac, I don’t have a favorite kind of bread! I have never tried to make my own bread, but the gluten-free bread in the store is insanely expensive! I just might have to try. Although baking gluten-free bread doesn’t sound that easy!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 21, 2010

I love storebought bread. I’ve never tried making it at home because the whole yeast and rising thing scares the crap out of me. lol Maybe I’ll buckle down and try it, though…

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 21, 2010

So cute! They remind me of crescent rolls, only healthier! My favorite type of bread is foccacia, especially with rosemary. I have it at least once a month as a splurge from the Whole Foods sandwich bar.

Layne October 21, 2010

Actually, I think it’s pretty awesome that you can’t taste the pumpkin. What a great way to add a little fiber and tons of vitamin A into your bread, right?!

Speaking of pumpkin you can’t taste, after having leftover pumpkin from making pumpkin spice lattes (and then just pumpkin spice coffee–mix a spoonful of pumpkin and a dash of pumpkin spice into your coffee–yum!) I started adding a big scoop into my green monsters, and can’t taste it there, either. But again, I figure an extra vitamin/fiber kick can’t hurt!

Back to the subject at hand — boyfriend is the bread baker in our home. Way awesome, even if super messy. I really want to start experimenting with it, though. I’ve heard FANTASTIC things about the books Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Can’t wait to pick one up and start trying some recipes. :)

MB October 21, 2010

I love any type of homemade bread. If it’s fresh and hot I can’t resist. I can pass up store bought stuff and sandwich bread but otherwise I could live on bread and water.

Camille October 21, 2010

This may be the best recipe you have ever created!

Steph@stephsbitebybite October 21, 2010

Every time I’ve tried to ake something with yeast it never rises. I don’t know why, but I can’t succeed and don’t know what to try differently.

LizLivingVegan October 21, 2010

Those look so amazing! That would be the perfect compliment for some spaghetti squash pasta :)

Nic October 21, 2010

Your garlic pumpkin knots look amazing!

I’m a big fan french baguette. I love the hard crust and the soft chewy middle!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 21, 2010

This recipe in itself may have just convinced me to give bread baking another shot.. I’ve always been scared to death of yeast. BUT wow those look amazing.. and it sounds so easy. Plus, gotta love carbs that sneak a veggie in ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 21, 2010

They’re so cute!! And undoubtably tasty. I’ve never though of garlic and pumpkin together..but I bet it’s good!

elyssa October 21, 2010

challah bread. i love the sweet yeastiness of it!

Shanna, Like Banana October 21, 2010

Rosemary thyme focaccia is pretty awesome as is pumpernickle.

You can send me those delish garlic knots though!

Bree October 21, 2010

I would so love it if you would replicate ezekiel bread…because i know you have a helluva better chance than me of it turning out good and i realllllllllly want to be able to make my own. Sprouts scare the crap out of me, baking-wise. :-P

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2010

Oh yea that is on my list too. I looked up a recipe the other day and was SO overwhelmed by all the steps though!

iga@thedelishdish October 21, 2010

i used to love these guys from our local pizzeria growing up. haven’t had them in years but i may need to make them now!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 21, 2010

Those are so so cute!! I really like pumpernickel bread, as well as these bagels that a shop near my house makes – the guy that runs it is only there on weekends but the bagels are boiled rather than fried, and taste so so so good! :)

Carolyn @ lovinlosing October 21, 2010

Added this recipe to my Google Notebook! It’s getting full…almost time to start actually making the recipes. LOL

Page 1 of 3123»