Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 21, 2010

I think I caught the bread making bug. And I like it.

20101020-IMG_7711

For years, I was scared of baking bread. I had a horrifying experience trying to make 100% whole grain spelt bread that came out flat as a pancake. I didn’t think I would ever recover from that and I assumed that I just wasn’t bread baker material. This week I realized that while there are some rules that you need to follow, it really isn’t that hard at all! Most of the work is ‘hands off’ while you are letting the dough rise and you can do other things, such as weird photoshoots in the woods or watching NCIS with your cat.

20101021-IMG_7730

My next conquest was a Garlic Knot. I was a bit scared about making bread into knots, but it turned out to be so easy I almost laughed when I made them.

Repeat after me: I will put my bread making fears aside and give bread baking another chance.

20101021-IMG_7723

Itty Bitty Herbed Garlic Pumpkin Knots with Vegan Parmesan Cheese

Adapted from Neverhomemaker.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup very warm water
  • 2 tsp instant dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tsp dried herbs (I used mixed basil, oregano, thyme, parsley)
  • 1 & 3/4 cups unbleached bread flour

Herbed garlic spread w/ Parmesan cheese:

Directions: In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients (flour, salt, yeast, dried herbs). In a smaller bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (syrup, pumpkin, olive oil). Once those are mixed quickly add in your very warm water and mix well. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir well. When the mixture becomes too dry to stir, place the dough onto a floured surface and knead it for 2-3 minutes until it comes together into a ball. You will need to add quite a bit of flour since the dough is quite sticky from the pumpkin. When the dough is no longer tacky to touch (but not dried out), place it into an oiled bowl with olive oil and gently cover the dough in oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise for 2 hours.

After 1 and a half hours, grab your pizza stone if you have one, and preheat it in the oven at 450F. If you don’t have a pizza stone, grab a baking sheet and line it with a non-stick mat or parchment. If you are using a pizza stone, grab a Peel and sprinkle on cornmeal. After 2 hours, take your dough, punch out the air, and lay it on a floured surface. Gently press it out so that it forms a small rectangle and then take a pizza roller and cut strips approx. 1/2-3/4” width by 6-8 inches in length. You can make them any size you want though! I had to play around with it for a bit to see what I liked. Grab a strip and make it into a knot. You can tuck the ends back into the centre or leave them hanging (I left them hanging).

Place the knots onto the Peel OR onto the baking sheet. Once you have all your knots made, place into the oven at 450F for about 11-12 minutes until slightly golden on the top. Spread on the herbed garlic spread with a pastry brush or add all ingredients into a bowl and toss. Serve immediately. I didn’t have to tell you that right? Makes approx. 14 small knots. You can also double this recipe and freeze half of the dough for later.

20101020-IMG_7703

A word about the pumpkin– I didn’t notice the taste in the knots. Next time I might leave it out or you can also try adding some spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, etc to try and bring out the flavour a bit more.

20101020-IMG_7705

20101020-IMG_7706 20101020-IMG_7708

20101020-IMG_7711

My favourite part!

20101020-IMG_7715

Now let the yeast do the work and let it rise for 2 hours. Or five if you are like me (I got busy & distracted!).

20101020-IMG_7718

Flatten the dough into a small rectangle and then cut into strips. Take a strip and simply tie into a knot. You are done! You can play around with how big you like them. I made some larger ones too, but I didn’t find they looked as cute as the itty bitty ones.

Bake at 450F for 11-12 minutes (that was on a pizza stone so I am not sure if the time will vary on a baking sheet). Note: Don’t spread on the garlic mixture until after it comes out of the oven.

20101021-IMG_7723

The Herbed Garlic spread is out of this world. I highly suggest making it. The vegan parmesan cheese, Earth Balance, minced garlic, and herbs really made the knots come alive.

20101021-IMG_7726

This was one of the first things I have made in a while where Eric did not mention anything about chocolate! Success.

20101021-IMG_7729

What is your favourite kind of bread? Store bought and homemade…

I love multigrain bread with TONS of seeds on it, so that is certainly on my list to bake. I also would love to make a pumpernickel bread and make a homemade vegan spinach dip inside it. Mmmmm.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 21, 2010 at 8:32 am

These are SO adorable! Perfect for a fall-themed party!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 21, 2010 at 8:33 am

I love homemade bead but have never made my own. Bread is certainly one of those fear foods that I feel like I would certainly mess up if I tried to make it.

claire October 21, 2010 at 8:35 am

Yum, I also have the neverhomemaker recipe bookmarked and this just reminded me I need to get on that! These looks sooo good….

I also adore seedy bread!

Amanda (Eating Up) October 21, 2010 at 8:37 am

My favorite kind of bread is the same as yours–ones with lots of seeds in it!

christina cadden October 21, 2010 at 8:40 am

mmm, they look amazing!

Kelsi October 21, 2010 at 8:41 am

the combo of pumpkin, garlic and parma sounds like a party in my mouth.

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker October 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

Angela — They’re beautiful! Glad you liked them. Yum!

Cindy Robinson October 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

I recently got over my fear of baking bread (well, I’m in the process!) and love that you always have the basic ingredients on hand, AND that you can do something for two hours or five in your case :) I used to think it was restrictive because of the rising time, but turns out, you can do lots of other things while it’s doing it’s magic!

I’ve only made one kind of bread: Artisan Bread. You can leave the batch of dough in your fridge for a week or two, and just make loaves when you feel like it :) It’s also good for grilling pizza!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 21, 2010 at 8:45 am

Homemade bread is the best — but the few times I have made it have been disasters. The first time, the bread weighed about 10 lbs! It was really bad.

Angela I love how these look! Anything with a garlic spread on top is right up my alley.

I really like crunchy, crusty loaves of bread spread with butter :)

kathleen October 21, 2010 at 8:46 am

sourdough. i have been meaning to attempt a gluten free sourdough for months now but the length of time it takes for the starter plus the fact that i will inevitably screw it up a few times seems daunting… maybe next week =)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman October 21, 2010 at 8:51 am

Those are so pretty. I love the color. My favorite bread is a fresh loaf of French bread. With a little cheese (and wine, naturally) it’s perfect.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 21, 2010 at 8:52 am

These are so cute! And you managed to make perfect knot shapes! :D

My favourite bread is also really seedy multigrain bread. Right now I’m loving Rudolph’s Bakery Bavarian multigrain bread from Loblaws.

Lizzie October 21, 2010 at 8:54 am

I get any bread from Whole Foods (their own brand, which is fine), though I want to start making my own to save some $$, at least the kind you can use as a side for soups etc. I LOVE bread!! Prefer something wholemeal with grains and seeds, but also love a good fresh white loaf (French, Ciabatta, Paesano etc). When I lived with my aunt and uncle they had a bread making machine. It loved cutting a fresh slice from that and it made amazing toast. So yes, I love bread!! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 21, 2010 at 8:59 am

hands down homemade! holy wow, i am DROOLING over these…the more garlic the better :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 21, 2010 at 9:00 am

Oh how I wish I had some of those! They look delicious. Believe it or not, I am NOT a huge bread fan. I can take it or leave it. I’d rather have more rich desserts than bread!

Lauren M. October 21, 2010 at 9:05 am

Even if you didn’t notice the pumpkin, at least it was another way to get some veggies in!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2010 at 10:01 am

Very true! =) I didnt think of that.

jenna October 21, 2010 at 9:09 am

these look so warm and wonderful!! mmmmmmmmmm! your pictures are improving more and more everyday! they look great angela!

Ashley October 21, 2010 at 9:09 am

What about experimenting with gluten free flours – like brown rice flour? Or buckwheat flour?

Felicia October 21, 2010 at 9:11 am

so adorable! i actually made little rolls last thanksgiving with poppyseeds and they came out so delicious- i never really bake bread though, if i do i would only want to use whole wheat flour, spelt or kamut.. i did just make cornbread, that counts right? :)

Emily October 21, 2010 at 9:14 am

These look awesome Ange! I really want to start learning to make homemade bread. I can manage the bread maker but without it I’m not so sure. I love multrigrain too but right now my favorite is Trader Joe’s Organic Spelt Bread! You would love it, next time you get a chance to get TJ’s stuff check it out :)

Melissa October 21, 2010 at 9:15 am

Yum! Those are a perfect fall-themed side.
You MUST make vegan spinach (artichoke) dip! Pre-vegan, I would devour that often.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 21, 2010 at 9:16 am

This bread looks delicious. I love soda bread and pumpernickel bread!

Stefanie October 21, 2010 at 9:17 am

I love making bread but never seem to have time to make it. However, I did make your dinner rolls from your Thanksgiving post. They are wonderfully soft and fluffy. These garlic knots will be on my to do list. My favorite homemade bread is french bread. It is best the same day it was made but is not bad the day after (if there is any left). :)

Amber K October 21, 2010 at 9:21 am

Since being diagnosed with celiac, I don’t have a favorite kind of bread! I have never tried to make my own bread, but the gluten-free bread in the store is insanely expensive! I just might have to try. Although baking gluten-free bread doesn’t sound that easy!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 21, 2010 at 9:22 am

I love storebought bread. I’ve never tried making it at home because the whole yeast and rising thing scares the crap out of me. lol Maybe I’ll buckle down and try it, though…

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 21, 2010 at 9:24 am

So cute! They remind me of crescent rolls, only healthier! My favorite type of bread is foccacia, especially with rosemary. I have it at least once a month as a splurge from the Whole Foods sandwich bar.

Layne October 21, 2010 at 9:25 am

Actually, I think it’s pretty awesome that you can’t taste the pumpkin. What a great way to add a little fiber and tons of vitamin A into your bread, right?!

Speaking of pumpkin you can’t taste, after having leftover pumpkin from making pumpkin spice lattes (and then just pumpkin spice coffee–mix a spoonful of pumpkin and a dash of pumpkin spice into your coffee–yum!) I started adding a big scoop into my green monsters, and can’t taste it there, either. But again, I figure an extra vitamin/fiber kick can’t hurt!

Back to the subject at hand — boyfriend is the bread baker in our home. Way awesome, even if super messy. I really want to start experimenting with it, though. I’ve heard FANTASTIC things about the books Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Can’t wait to pick one up and start trying some recipes. :)

MB October 21, 2010 at 9:25 am

I love any type of homemade bread. If it’s fresh and hot I can’t resist. I can pass up store bought stuff and sandwich bread but otherwise I could live on bread and water.

Camille October 21, 2010 at 9:33 am

This may be the best recipe you have ever created!

[email protected] October 21, 2010 at 9:36 am

Every time I’ve tried to ake something with yeast it never rises. I don’t know why, but I can’t succeed and don’t know what to try differently.

LizLivingVegan October 21, 2010 at 9:39 am

Those look so amazing! That would be the perfect compliment for some spaghetti squash pasta :)

Nic October 21, 2010 at 9:43 am

Your garlic pumpkin knots look amazing!

I’m a big fan french baguette. I love the hard crust and the soft chewy middle!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 21, 2010 at 9:44 am

This recipe in itself may have just convinced me to give bread baking another shot.. I’ve always been scared to death of yeast. BUT wow those look amazing.. and it sounds so easy. Plus, gotta love carbs that sneak a veggie in ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 21, 2010 at 9:48 am

They’re so cute!! And undoubtably tasty. I’ve never though of garlic and pumpkin together..but I bet it’s good!

elyssa October 21, 2010 at 9:50 am

challah bread. i love the sweet yeastiness of it!

Shanna, Like Banana October 21, 2010 at 9:51 am

Rosemary thyme focaccia is pretty awesome as is pumpernickle.

You can send me those delish garlic knots though!

Bree October 21, 2010 at 9:52 am

I would so love it if you would replicate ezekiel bread…because i know you have a helluva better chance than me of it turning out good and i realllllllllly want to be able to make my own. Sprouts scare the crap out of me, baking-wise. :-P

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2010 at 10:02 am

Oh yea that is on my list too. I looked up a recipe the other day and was SO overwhelmed by all the steps though!

[email protected] October 21, 2010 at 9:54 am

i used to love these guys from our local pizzeria growing up. haven’t had them in years but i may need to make them now!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 21, 2010 at 9:57 am

Those are so so cute!! I really like pumpernickel bread, as well as these bagels that a shop near my house makes – the guy that runs it is only there on weekends but the bagels are boiled rather than fried, and taste so so so good! :)

Carolyn @ lovinlosing October 21, 2010 at 9:58 am

Added this recipe to my Google Notebook! It’s getting full…almost time to start actually making the recipes. LOL

Jess October 21, 2010 at 10:12 am

I love pumpkin bread! and homemade cinnamon raisin, too :-)

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) October 21, 2010 at 10:13 am

Wow, you have really outdone yourself with this one, Angela! They look fabulous and remind me of the garlic rolls I used to get at our local Italian restaurant. The addition of pumpkin makes them even better! :)

melissa @ the delicate place October 21, 2010 at 10:20 am

if i ate grains i’d be all over this haha but i’m really warming up to the idea of using pumpkin in the savory context!

Moni'sMeals October 21, 2010 at 10:22 am

Not only very tasty looking but also so so CUTE. Like some others said, a Great “Fall” snack. ;)

Allie October 21, 2010 at 10:33 am

I’m counting down the minutes til lunch and this post is seriously making me salivate…;-)

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries October 21, 2010 at 10:34 am

Oh heavens…I am SO AFRAID of making bread. But, I think you had me hooked when you said I could watch NCIS in between. Huge fan!

GFree_Miel October 21, 2010 at 10:46 am

These look amazing! I have to figure out how to make them gluten free for sure :D

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 21, 2010 at 10:51 am

OMG! I want one of those NOW :D :D I swear I say this every day, but these look SO GOOD !! Anything with garlic… and I am IN. …add some pumpkin… oh no you DIDN’T HEHE!

I swear I am going to try and make bread… But Ange, I am SCURRED ;P

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2010 at 11:17 am

It’s OK to be scurred!!!

Alaina October 21, 2010 at 10:54 am

I love this company called When Pigs Fly. They make great, fresh, inventive breads. My favorite is the choclate bread. :-)

Lisa October 21, 2010 at 10:57 am

That looks delicious! I’ve tried to make my own bread a few times but I think I kill the yeast. One of these days I’ll try again.

Last year for Xmas I got my boyfriend a bread baking cookbook. When we finish the kitchen remodel it’s our first thing to do.

Laughter-Loving Stacy October 21, 2010 at 10:59 am

Oh that sounds fantastic! And I LOVE LOVE LOOOVE all the other pumpkin recipes you have! I can’t wait! :)

Callie October 21, 2010 at 11:04 am

Those look amazing!!
I just wanted to randomly share that after a few months of following your blog, I decided to start running again… All because of your little inspirational self. Do I love it (the running, that is), not so much ;) But, I’m going to give it some time and maybe, just maybe, it will catch on.
Thanks again for always sharing such wonderfulness!

Kaleigh October 21, 2010 at 11:18 am

They look so cute! My boyfriend and I adore Pumpkin anything. I made your sweet potato dip with additional pumpkin and it was great! I think these would make an excellent accompaniment to it.

Plus, I also just made your pizza, and power me up pumpkin cookies. You are making the transition into becoming a vegan very easy…. and my family certainly thanks you!

Wei-Wei October 21, 2010 at 11:35 am

I just love any ole doughy bread! I like crusty, but at the end of the day, doughy is the texture that does it for me. :D

Allison @ Food for Healing October 21, 2010 at 11:35 am

Oo those look good!
I love homemade bread, however it doesn’t come around very often for me, but when buying bread i like to buy the in-store baked whole wheat bread, i like the extra grains and seeds in them too

Beth @ DiningAndDishing October 21, 2010 at 11:40 am

I just bought a loaf of Great Harvest honey whole wheat and it is FAST becomming my favorite bread! I love the fresh scent and the dense, doughy texture :).

lisasfoods October 21, 2010 at 11:42 am

I love all kinds of bread, so I’m not sure that I can pick a favorite. One of my favorites to make is Anadama, a classic New England bread made with some molasses and cornmeal. It has a very earthy flavor.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 21, 2010 at 11:42 am

Oh that looks SO good! My favorite bread is actually the gluten free sandwich loaf I make at home. It’s delicious!

Roz October 21, 2010 at 11:51 am

These look amazing!
Your photos are always wonderful!!!

Madeleine October 21, 2010 at 11:55 am

Wow, Angela, hose knots look amazing!! I want to THANK YOU so much for the Power Me Up Pumpkin Sesame Cookie recipe- I tried it yesterday and they were the BEST vegan cookies I’ve ever eaten! I’m a relatively new reader and I’m not going anywhere so thank you for doing what you do :)

Madeleine October 21, 2010 at 11:55 am

Wow, Angela, those knots look amazing!! I want to THANK YOU so much for the Power Me Up Pumpkin Sesame Cookie recipe- I tried it yesterday and they were THE best vegan cookies I’ve ever eaten! I’m a relatively new reader and am not going anywhere so thank you for doing what you do :)

Krystina (Organically Me) October 21, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I used to LOVE garlic knots. These look so, so delicious.

Gail October 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I love all bread. I wish I could make it, but it’s really tricky being at high altitude, mine always comes out like a brick. Rudi’s makes really good healthy bread. There’s an Italian restaurant by my mom’s that makes the best bread, it’s got rosemary and I don’t know what other herbs in it, it’s crusty but soft on the inside. Totally bad for me because it’s white, but once in a while who cares – right? Wish I could get that recipe, but then again, I’d just ruin it ;0)

Dawn October 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Hi Angela! I just started reading your blog and I’m hooked! I’m not vegan (or even vegetarian) but on a journey to healthier eating with the husband and kids kicking and screaming behind me. I am taking baby steps in the hope that they will not be noticeable to anyone and they will become my “unwilling converts” without knowing! My question is about chia-eggs. Can I substitute a real egg? My in-laws have chickens and we almost always have an abundance of fresh eggs (organic and “roam around” kind of chicken eggs). Thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Thank you! :)

yes you can certainly sub in an egg for a chia egg in most places. :)

Jenny October 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I LOVE rye bread for my sandwiches and any type of hot yeast bread. I’m a bread junky:)

Paige is Running Around Normal October 21, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Those look unreal! And your pictures are just awesome in this post, too!

Laurab @ foodsnobstl October 21, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I love homemade sourdough. Itt is really hard to keep the starter alive though.

Ana October 21, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Wow, pwefect knots, look lovely!
I make a very similar recipe using mashed sweet potatoes, really good!
Ana

Allison October 21, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Aren’t those knots delicious?!?!?!? I made them awhile back when she posted them and i think I’ll be making them again soon!!! And bread baking is super easy and fun once you get the hang of it! My mom always said that bread rose better in a room where there had already been bread made, something about it being easier for the yeast. Don’t know how true it is but hopeful you’ll keep having success now:)

stacey-healthylife October 21, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Those would be perfect for a party or served with some pumpkin soup.

Corey @ the runner's cookie October 21, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Mmm those look so good on a chilly fall day!! I admit I have a slight fear of bread baking, and it always seems like it will be so time consuming. Someday soon, I will try! These pictures are definitely inspiration :)

kate October 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm

These look delicious! I need to embrace baking more.

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 21, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I’m terrified of bread making too! You are slowly peer pressuring me:)

My fav is doughy seedy grain bread. Thankfully my mother raised on wheat bread, not white, so I’ve never had a problem with it!

Kiersten October 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm

You never cease to impress!

Maddie October 21, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Yum! Those look good and perfect for fall.
I love bread and some of my favorites are multigrain, cinnamon raisin, and pumpkin banana.

Kristie October 21, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Bread is one of those things that I just haven’t quite been ready to tackle. Except for quick/sweet breads of course :)
I love dense or doughy breads with lots of substance and things going on. And FRESH!

Bridget October 21, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I don’t eat bread that often, but when I do, there is this focaccia from a local bakery that is amazing! It had caramelized onions, parmesan and sea salt on top and it is just so drool worthy.

Leah @ Why Deprive? October 21, 2010 at 2:24 pm

These look so good! Especially with the pumpkin. That was just genius.

I LOVE homemade bread. I’ve started making it since I got a breadmaker, and its so much better than store bought. Of course, its still nowhere near as good as the homemade bread my parents neighbor used to bring us. She brought us fresh from the oven, still warm bread almost every week. We really liked her. :)

Nicole (Picky Nicky) October 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I’m totally with you on the love for multi-grain bread and pumpernickel! If you posted a recipe I’d be making some the very next minute :)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA October 21, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I love sourdough, especially rosemary olive sourdough. But I’m with you on multigrain with lots of seeds, too!

Amy October 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Mmmmm… Bread! My favorite bread is Dave’s Killer Bread which is made here in Portland, OR. It is covered with tons of seeds and full of whole grains. But, like you, I really love making my own bread too. Here is a link to my most favorite homemade bread on my blog:

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Bread, oh my. I used to eat bread as a kid and when I was in my early 20s it became evident that gluten was not my friend. After going thru withdrawals and eliminating it, I havent missed it in the past 5 yrs…I never even buy (or make) GF bread. I do make lil GF muffins and stuff but ok, I lied, a really seedy, oatey, hearty, full-of-texture bread…that’s where it’s at. But most GF breads are just like bland cardboard. LOL. So I dont bother buying them…or making them….maybe I need to start!

Mary @ Fervent Foodie October 21, 2010 at 3:24 pm

WOW Those look delicious!!!

Jamie @ Tearaveler October 21, 2010 at 3:51 pm

My favorite is my family’s Honey-Molasses Whole Wheat Bread, made from scratch and the wheat is picked right from our own fields =). Sometimes we don’t grind the wheat up as much so it has a more grainy texture, mmmm!

amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler October 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Hooooooly crap, those looks fantastic!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm

oh my – how wonderful! I am ALL FOR homemade bread :)

Carla @ 32down15togo October 21, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Angela, they are so pretty! It makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one with a bread making fear. After some self-analysis, I have come to the conclusion that my fear is rooted in my mother always telling me how hard it is to “make good bread”. You’ve given me some confidence!

Carla

Meredith Lilly October 21, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I love homemade foccacia, raisin cinnamon, and wholewheat loaves. I grew up on 100% homemade bread and started baking it when I was little. I remember thinking store-bought toast looked so skinny and funny.

I buy bread now for everyday things, the dense seedy kind, but still bake for fun. I’ve got your dinner rolls that I adapted with some herb and garlic butter in the oven right now! Smells delish. I’ll have to try your new recipe too.

Cara Craves... October 21, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Those look so good…I am sure they pull apart and just melt in your mouth…Mmmm!
My fav. bread is anything grainy and wheaty…lots of fibre!
Whole wheat bread does not really exit here in Korea…saddest thing ever!!

Valerie C. October 21, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Omgosh…I’m still HORRIFIED of baking…but only because I can’t resist going back for seconds…and thirds…heck the whole batch!! ;)

Pretzels are cool…but Cinnamonbuns are were it’s at!!

jeannine October 21, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Hey Angela!
I’m a fairly new reader and I just tried these out for dinner, we were having pasta and meat balls so I thought they’d go well. It’s the first recipe of yours I’ve tried and… they were perfect and adorable and delicious and wonderful! I may have used more herbs in the dough than you did but… I’m kind of a fan of herbs… :)
Isn’t making bread so satisfying? I love when it rises successfully, and then punching it down is fun, and watching it get nice and golden in the oven. And of course nothing beats warm, freshly baked bread.
If you’re interested in baking more bread I’d suggest looking into the Tassajara Bread Book. It’s basically a really detailed, kind of hippie, bread bible. It’s how I started, and they’ve got some great recipes!
Anyway I really like your blog, and thanks for posting all these great recipes and health advice and inspiration and everything!

[email protected] October 21, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Yum! So cute. I love multigrain bread, dark rye and sourdough.

Susie October 21, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I make spelt, sprouted whole wheat with a little bit of Prairie Gold (hard white winter wheat), it is sooooooo good! I have made all my own bread for about 15 years now, I HATE store bread!!

Jolene ([email protected]) October 21, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Those are cute little knots!!!

I am so excited that you are going to FoodBuzz!!!! I am glad other Canadians will be there :-) When do you fly in?

Helen October 21, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I love pumpernickle bread and I prefer homemade breads!! I have only recently started playing around with baking my own yeast breads. I usually would always just buy my breads from the bakery!

Kristy October 22, 2010 at 6:47 am

Are you kidding? If you didnt post pictures I would have had trouble beliving you! :-) These are the definition of EPIC!

Cynthia October 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Hi hi!…. well, this is actually my first comment on your blog even though I’ve following you for a long time…
Thank you so much for this recipe!
I just made it today and let me tell you… they did not stay in the tray for more than 2 hours!
I’ll post the pictures on my blog next week.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs from Norway!

[email protected] Food Loving Polar Bear October 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Yum, those knots look really good!

Alaina October 22, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I thought the original recipe, the one you posted, looked amazing, but the whole pumpkin and garlic idea totally freaked out my roommates so I adapted your recipe a bit…

I swapped the herbs and salt for a little sugar and pumpkin pie spice, the olive oil for canola oil, and added a little more pumpkin (and consequently, a little more flour). Then, instead of a garlic butter glaze, I went with a cinnamon and maple syrup sauce. Yummmmmm.

Thanks for the idea!

Halley (Blunder Construction) October 24, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Challah bread! That’s my favorite… but have never tried for fear of failing. How on earth to vegan-ize an egg bread? That might be a challenge suitable only for OSG herself.

Liana @ femme fraiche November 18, 2010 at 6:27 am

Rosemary ciabatta bread!!

Sara November 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Just got finished trialing these for Thanksgiving- okay, it is gloomy here and I just wanted some bread!–and these are amazing! My son and I almost polished off the whole batch! Wow, we’ll probably regret that later…but maybe not– they are THAT good.

My two choices for thanksgiving are these and your pull-apart ones. I can’t choose!! Help! :)

Lilly Sue April 17, 2012 at 11:45 pm

These look so yummy! A very interesting combination :)

Dalia September 9, 2012 at 11:09 am

My girls and I just made a double batch and am waiting for the dough to rise. Was going to freeze half of the dough and then remembered that yeast doughs typically don’t freeze well. Have you tried to freeze the dough with success?

Michelle October 19, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Hi Angela! Any or experience/success freezing these?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012 at 9:22 am

Hi Michelle, I haven’t tried before, so I wouldn’t know what to expect. Let me know if you do try it!

Stephanie Henke November 16, 2013 at 8:36 am

Is there any way to freeze the dough so you can make these ahead? And/or if you can’t serve them immediately, what happens?

Katie November 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Do you think these could be frozen and made ahead of time for Thanksgiving? Thanks!

Ari November 20, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Hi Angela! These look amazing, but I was wondering what you would suggest to make them gluten-free? I’m unsure of what sort of gluten-free flour would work the best.

Thank you!
Ari

Thomas November 26, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Ari, I just tried Bob’s Red Mill Biscuit and Bread mix, and it kinda works… couldn’t really tie the knot, so to speak (very crumbly). I have an All-Purpose mix of his that I feel would do better based on some other experiments I’ve done today. The Yorkshire Puddings I made earlier with it were excellent. Hope that helps!

Susan December 8, 2013 at 9:18 am

Okay now you out-did yourself! I haven’t had this kind of flavor since being vegan- these were amazing. I didn’t think you could really taste the pumpkin either, but loved the color of them. We couldn’t find vegan parmesan cheese- but they were just as good without. One of my brothers thought they tasted like garlic hot pretzels! I will def make these again and again, so easy too! Thank you!!

Lauren October 12, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I was intimidated by this recipe because I have never made bread before, never mind knots BUT I am so glad I made these. It was super easy and amazing!! I’m not even embarrassed to say that we ate 10 between the two of us. They taste a hundred times better than regular garlic bread. No pumpkin taste but I’ll keep adding it for nutritional benefits. Thanks so much!!

Brigitte Gaudreault October 15, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Angela,
You are a breath of fresh air ! Your recipes are easy to read and great to eat !
Bonne appétit !!
Brigitte Gaudreault
Sherbrooke QUÉBEC,

Dani November 26, 2014 at 9:14 am

This looks great.Is it possible to make the dough a day before I want to actually bake it? If so how would I go about doing so?

Sue G. October 21, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Made these to go with lasagna for dinner. They were the hit of the party and unbelievably easy. I made the dough, covered it and stuck it right into the fridge for the night. The next day, I put them into my warming oven for 45 minutes and made the knots. This morning, I made the sweet version using pumpkin pie spice and covering them with cinnamon and turbinado sugar before baking. Again, a hit. Thanks so much.

Sabrina Leonard November 27, 2015 at 12:01 pm

I’ve made these many times with great success! (Read: my guests and I all stuffing our faces and groaning with pleasure). However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to take this show on the road…I’ve tried bringing the dough and knotting and baking them at my destination but the dough sank :( Also prepping them at home and baking them there didn’t really fly either. They’re SO good fresh from the oven! But how to share them away from home without doing all the steps in someone else’s kitchen? Stumped.

SpazV December 4, 2015 at 9:34 am

Hi Angela

Just found this recipe and you had me at three points.
1) Garlic
2) Pumpkin
3) Bread

My question is can I use whole wheat flour, I know it maybe more dense etc.
But maybe you can advise me at to what ratio white to whole wheat would work?

Thanks for sharing!
SpazV

SpazV December 4, 2015 at 9:37 am

Hi Angela-

SpazV here again.
Didn’t want to assume, but will regular unbleached white flour work?
Will be using the combo of whole wheat and white if you think its gonna be fine.
Just wanted to confirm its NOT bread flour I’m gonna be using.

Thanks again!