The Monster Is Back

Top of the Fall morning to ya!

20101017IMG 7366 thumb   The Monster Is Back 20101017IMG 7318 thumb   The Monster Is Back

Anyone want to come rake our leaves for us? I will bake you tons of treats to fuel your workout. ;)

In other news, the Green Monster is back after a long hiatus!

20101020IMG 7701 thumb   The Monster Is Back

Does anyone else go through food phases? I do all the time. Even with Green Monsters!

I don’t know if it was the arrival of Fall + cooler weather, but I hadn’t craved a Green Monster (or pretty much any vegetables!!!) for 2-3 weeks. Then I noticed that we were stock piling CSA spinach and veggies and I decided to get back on the wagon. :) I craved my first huge salad the other day and it was so delicious I was kicking myself for falling off the veggie wagon for so long!

I forgot how good one Green Monster a day makes me feel. I loaded this one with cinnamon, spinach, pumpkin, banana, raw maca powder, molasses, wheatgrass powder, and almond milk. I have started drinking GM’s after workouts because I find that in the morning I am always a bit chilly and don’t want one when I get up.

Speaking of wheatgrass, Eric now wants to make chocolate dipped wheatgrass. I don’t know how we got on the topic yesterday, but he said, ‘I would eat wheatgrass…if it was dipped in chocolate first!’ And then he let out an evil laugh.

I don’t even know who he is anymore.

On that note, it is time for some of this week’s health news links…enjoy!

Health News Round Up:

Do you go through food phases or tend to eat the same thing for a meal each day or are you good at mixing it up? Are you going through a food phase right now?

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 20, 2010

Chocolate dipped wheatgrass?! That sounds like something i could put down.

I rarely eat the same thing everyday. I get bored too easily! Sometimes I have the same snack, but even that is rare!

lindsay (goodiesgalore) October 20, 2010

Eric is a riot! He should know not to say things like that because clearly you’ll be up at the crack tomorrow morning making it happen.

Amanda (Eating Up) October 20, 2010

Chocolate dipped wheatgrass? What about chocolate dipped kale? Brandi had that on her blog today!

Laura October 20, 2010

This green monster sounds delicious! How much of each ingredient did you put in?

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 20, 2010

Even though it’s getting colder, I STILL drink a green monster every morning after I work out! I’m freezing – but I just can’t give them up yet. My GM this morning was pretty much the same as yours, except no wheatgrass or molasses, and with protein powder. Is there anything Eric WOULDN’T rather eat dipped in chocolate? ;)

Amanda October 20, 2010

I am terrible about food phases!! Right now it’s cottage cheese and granola for breakfast. It’s all I’ve eaten for 4 months!!! I might have to make a switch soon.

Laura October 20, 2010

Oh I definitely go through phases. I drank a coconut shake for breakfast every day for about two months, and now I can’t even look at one! I’ll have a big salad piled with everything in the world for dinner every day for a while, then all I want is cooked greens. Sometimes I try to shake it up on purpose though, and I’ll buy ingredients for specific different things so I have to eat them. Of course sometimes that backfires and I end up with a lot of things on hand and I don’t want them!

Right now, weirdly, I’m craving very tropical green smoothies with ice for breakfast every day. Green juice or greens and water blended with ice, frozen pineapple, frozen banana and/or frozen mango with a little avocado for creaminess. Oh, and a little vanilla. Yum!

Noelle October 20, 2010

I too got back on the bAndwagin with a Green Monster this morning! Feels good!

Tiffany @ Eat, Run, Write, Love October 20, 2010

I definitely go through phases with my eating patterns. A couple weeks ago all I did was bake and eat my baking, then I realized I hadn’t seen a veggie in a while and started juicing again. Nowadays I am going through a juicing phase to get all the enzymes in. I also love avocados these days!

Kelsi October 20, 2010

i’m a sucker for food phases. i’ll eat oatmeal every morning until i can’t stand it anymore and then switch to hard boiled eggs, then cereal, then yogurt. i go all over the place. your table is so cute with the pumpkins and leaves. really makes the green monster stand out in the picture.

Melissa October 20, 2010

I had my first green monster 3 weeks ago and it was love at first gulp. I’ve been having at least one every day since then. Eric’s chocolate desires make me laugh!

Felicia October 20, 2010

I’ve been loving on green monsters too lately! I feel so good after them

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow October 20, 2010

I always go through phases nowadays. I used to never listen to those cues but now I do!!!

I just had a smoothie and I think it’s time to take a break! I’m craving warmth- toast + jam, roasted squash on oatmeal, salads topped with warm veggies. Fall is here!

Katy @ shot of life October 20, 2010

Your GM looks so refreshing!! I was going to have one this morning but didn’t have the time.
How much pumpkin do you add? I’ve tried it and mine tasted horrible :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2010

I think I used about 1/3 cup

Jenny October 20, 2010

Yes, I do all that all the time! Right now I’m on a shakeology and ezekial bread kick! Next week I’ll probably be done for a bit. : )

jenna October 20, 2010

I think it’s defenitely healthy to go through food phase. it’s your body telling you you have enough of one food and need more nutrients from another food. i strongly believe your body changes just like the seasons do.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 20, 2010

I go food phases all the time! Whenever I find something like I like, I crave it more and then it eat more. In fact, I eat it so much that eventually, I get sick of it and can’t even look at it for weeks (nut butter was one of these and I cannot imagine eating it right now). That being said, it has never happened with Green Monsters. I’ve been consistently drinking them every morning now for about 8 months. I’ve never looked better :)

Maddie October 20, 2010

Eric is so funny! Although chocolate dipped wheatgrass might not be bad. Your green monster looks refreshing! I am going through a green monster, tofu, and zucchini phase right now :D I always go through food phases and eat my favorites too much and then get burned out on them for a few months. I need to keep mixing it up!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie October 20, 2010

It’s so funny you should say that, because I also just had my first Green Monster after a hiatus today. There is something so satisfying about drinking a green thing at work while co-workers watch in a combination of horror and curiosity :) But a GM as a pumpkin delivery vehicle? Hmm. Was it good? Do you need the molasses and cinnamon to make it work?

Savannah P October 20, 2010

You and your husband have such a fun relationship. It makes me look forward to moving in with my boyfriend.
I am actually out of my usual salad routine right now which is the strangest thing because I usually love a big bowl of greens once or twice a day. I haven’t had one in weeks! Maybe I should throw something together for dinner..

Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen October 20, 2010

I go through food phases all the time, but right now I’m not really craving anything specific. I’m kind of stuck in a no-veggie rut like you, though – I feel like I’ve been lacking for weeks!

JL Goes Vegan October 20, 2010

I definitely go through food phases and think it’s mostly associated with what is local and in season (squash is coming out of my ears right now) and, of course, whatever every single person in the food blog world is raving about (more squash: pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin)

I also cook in bulk so find myself repeating meals throughout the week — but I don’t have to cook every day so the redundancy is a fair trade-off.

Carolyn @ lovinlosing October 20, 2010

I haven’t been getting a lot of veggies the last few weeks, either. I prefer my veggies hot (in coup, roasted broccoli, peas, etc.), but I do enjoy a good Green Monster, though. Might have to use up my spinach tomorrow.

Marie-Sophie October 20, 2010

I so go through food phases!!! It was especially extreme before and during my final clerkship exams – the thought of eating veggies made me gag!! Salad was out of question and I was seriously craving lots of carbs and sweet things. So I just went with it, tried to have healthier options (sweet potatoes with cinamon almond butter, oatmeal, lots of fruit juices) and sneaked some veggies in (mashed-up avocado and shredded carrots made their way in :-))

I think sometimes our body is looking for variety (and sometimes we get bored with our food) – but I also think it’s important to listen to your body!! Most of the time it has a reason! (nutritional deficiencies, variety, need for more carbs, fat or protein …)

Gloria October 20, 2010

I am the queen of food phases. Right now it’s Indian food and massaged kale salads. Totally random. Next week it could be sprouted mung beans and sweet potatoes!

Ali October 20, 2010

I am an oatmeal-aholic. I eat it every morning for breakfast, unless i plan on working out in the morning so have to eat something a little lighter (oatmeal + running = unhappy stomach). Even while studying abroad in China this summer i managed to get an oatmeal fix — they typically have fried noodles and steamed buns for breakfast, but i found an international grocery store and got me some oats for days i couldn’t handle greasy noodles for breakfast!

At least i go in phases of what kind of oatmeal. Currently, it’s been mostly pumpkin pie oatmeal (best ever). Before that – blueberry banana oatmeal, chocolate amazing grass oatmeal and apple oatmeal!

Oh, and i’d totally rake your leaves, but on one condition. As long as i can jump in the pile when i’m done!!

stephanie from toronto October 20, 2010

Thank you for the link to these great sites!

Did you know you were mentioned in Canadian Living this month??

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2010

Yes I just got my copy the other day! It was a fun article :)

Bridget October 20, 2010

I am the queen of food phases. I’ve had a nut butter and oatmeal phase (but really…who hasn’t?!?), but most recently I’ve been eating a lot of veggie stir-fries. I’ve also had a thing for sauteed red onions, which is weird since only a year ago I hated onions!

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 20, 2010

I had an epic food phase: for a year and a half I ate fiber one and plain yogurt for breakfast and loved every single moment. It got me out of bed in the morning (so strange I know!). I have moved on to oatmeal with pumpkin right now, I think it is a seasonal phase :)

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious October 20, 2010

i definitely go through phases — in the summer it was VOO, then shakes, then more oatmeal (sometimes cooked), now back into my hulk shakes, all green and cleansing….i try to switch it up a bit during the week. today i’m making a creamsicle shake…no word of a lie it tastes exactly like it!

Steph October 20, 2010

I definitely go through food phases. After a few weeks of pumpkin OO, I was craving Kashi Go Lean Berry Crisp hard. Now I’m back on the pumpkin oats and who knows when the next Kashi cycle begins

I try to listen to my body when I crave something. If I want a cookie and try to resist it, I will try to satisfy that need in some other way and then inevitably eating a whole slew of things before finally giving into the cookie craving. Of course the same goes with non-sweets – if I’m craving mac and cheese, you better believe I’m making it!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers October 20, 2010

I’ll come rake your leaves- I always loved doing that but now my husband insists on chopping them up with the lawn mower. It might take me a little while to get there tho…..
And I definitely go through food phases too- I’m in a non-oatmeal phase right now :(

Shanna, Like Banana October 20, 2010

Totally go through food phases! English muffins, oats, stir fry, etc

Dorry October 20, 2010

I definitely go through food phases! Of course, right now a lot of it has to do with pumpkin (I know, how unoriginal!) but also with snack food. I’ll have the same afternoon snack everyday for weeks. Also, with training/workouts, sometimes the food phases have to do with what works well for fuel. :)

I’ll come rake your leaves. I’ve ALWAYS wanted to come to Toronto. :)

LizLivingVegan October 20, 2010

I definitely go through food phases! Right now I’m in a soup phase. Earlier, I was in a squash phase!

Corey @ the runner's cookie October 20, 2010

I totally go through phases with both foods and exercise! I will go through phases of buying or making something for months, and then not buy/make it for months. It’s weird, I’m not sure why it happens.

Jo @JAGSfitnessblog.com October 20, 2010

I haven’t had a GM in a while and now I’m really craving one! I do go through phases, at the moment it’s squash/pumpkin and of course, there is my oatmeal phase which is constant :D

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 20, 2010

I love wheatgrass! It makes me feel so alive! : ) I def. go through food phases. We will eat the same foods for weeks until we get sick of them and move on to something else.

Marisa @ Loser for Life October 20, 2010

I totally go through food phases! For many months I ate a yogurt bowl (greek yogurt w/berries and nuts or granola) for breakfast or a snack daily, but haven’t been in the mood to eat that in weeks!

claire October 20, 2010

I definitely get into food ruts or phases…I am in a serious oats phase right now and spinach always…but not green monsters cause of the colder temps!

Page 1 of 3123»