Celebrations & Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving Monday!

Thank you for your amazing comments on my Project Food Blog Challenge #4 post yesterday! If you enjoyed my post and want to see me make it to the next round I would appreciate your vote (you click the heart). I have a fun idea for challenge #5 so I am crossing my fingers big time.

Where did I leave off before the last challenge consumed my life? lol. Oh yes, I was enjoying a wonderful Thanksgiving at my in laws. :)

Their house is a century home from the 1800’s. They added on a new extension several years ago. This below is the original stone wall that used to be the outside of the house.

20101009-IMG_5513

Now it is part of the living/dining room.

In the ‘original’ part of the house:

20101009-IMG_5515-2

Eric with his apple juice! ;)

20101009-IMG_5514

He wanted me to report to you- still not a lick of pop since he cut it out in March 2010! Go Eric. :)

20101009-IMG_5518

My mother-in-law can decorate a gorgeous table I tell ya…

20101009-IMG_5502

Every year she decorates the table in a new way and she always blows us away with what she throws together. I guess that is the interior designer in her coming out!

20101009-IMG_5507

20101009-IMG_5509

Luckily it was gorgeous weather this weekend because the boat lift and dock had to be taken out of the water!

20101009-IMG_5539

Thanksgiving dinner was fabulous!

We were celebrating FOUR things: Thanksgiving, my mother-in-law Margaret’s birthday, our Aunt Sheila’s birthday, and my brother-in-law Steve and future sis-in law Joanne’s recent engagement (!!!).

20101009-IMG_5576

Good times!

The food was also delicious.

20101009-IMG_5563

I enjoyed brussels sprouts (the best I have ever had), carrots, asparagus, lentil salad, croquette, and bread.

20101009-IMG_5555

20101009-IMG_5557

20101009-IMG_5558

20101009-IMG_5560

Also enjoyed a couple glasses of red wine!

20101009-IMG_5567-2

20101009-IMG_5581

Eric + beer

20101009-IMG_5656

And then some celebratory champagne for Steve and Joanne’s engagement…

20101009-IMG_5592

20101009-IMG_5596

They are so cute together.

20101009-IMG_5615

Very happy for them. :)

20101009-IMG_5616

Dessert time.

20101009-IMG_5606

I brought along my cakes and Sheila also contributed a couple desserts too.

20101009-IMG_5628

Gift time and performances by our niece and nephew!

20101009-IMG_5637-2

20101009-IMG_5665

Then we had performances by Sketchie…

20101009-IMG_5676

We taught Sketchie a few tricks: shake a paw, shake the other paw, and stand on two legs. As you can tell by his face he does NOT enjoy doing tricks, but he will do it for treats. ;)

He loved visiting his ‘brothers’ Clancy and Finnegan.

20101009-IMG_5684

Eric and I slept in the ‘music room’ by a warm & cozy electric fireplace! I was so thrilled to have it by the bed because it was FREEZING in that room!

20101009-IMG_5694

I was the first one up in the house on Sunday morning! Well, that isn’t totally true, the cats were all up. ;)

I dragged my butt out of bed and watched the sun rise over the water.

20101009-IMG_5541

I tried to get as much done on my Project Food Blog post as I could before anyone was up.

For breakfast I made Sweet Potato Gingerbread Vegan Overnight oats. This is one of my favourite new combos. It is so delicious it doesn’t even need any maple syrup!

20101010-IMG_5701

In the VOO: 1/2 cup regular oats, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses, 1/2 cup sweet potato puree, pinch or two of cinnamon, 2 tbsp chia seeds.

20101010-IMG_5707

Delicious and so filling.

The scenery on the 3 hour drive home was lovely and helped the time go by quickly.

20101009-IMG_2184

All was going fabulous until we got pulled over by a cop, not for speeding, but because our plate stickers were expired and we got handed a $110 ticket. Major whoops. We actually went to renew the stickers a month or two ago, but we didn’t have a required document so we left, and then we forgot to go back and do it.

I always feel so guilty + bad when I do something like that. I am like a dog with my tail between my legs looking at the cop. lol.

However, I am truly thankful for so much in my life and no ticket is going to ruin a great weekend with loved ones!

While today is a holiday Eric and I are both hard at work (me on my bakery orders and him on the hardwood), so I better get back to it!

1 Jessica @ How Sweet October 11, 2010

Wow – just gorgeous. I would love to watch the sun rise over the water! And the sights coming home are so pretty. They colors here are just starting to pop. That’s why it’s my favorite time of year!

2 Kristina @ spabettie October 11, 2010

Eric and his mom look alike! :)

YAAAY Eric for no soda! you GO !

3 Heather (Heather's Dish) October 11, 2010

you’re right that food looks amazing! and that picture of the dock made me want to go water skiing SO BAD!

4 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 11, 2010

What a beautiful house! I love the stone wall!

Tickets are the worst — even when you “deserve” them. Good for you for having a positive attitude!

5 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 11, 2010

What a lovely Thanksgiving spent with family (in a beautiful home!). My cat would never ever do tricks. I think its hilarious that Sketchie does them (although begrudginly).

6 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 11, 2010

I love family holiday get-togethers! Yours looks like it was a lot of fun and really makes me wish that the US’s Thanksgiving were here!!

7 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 11, 2010

Looks like you had a fabulous weekend! You made me really excited for the US’s Thanksgiving in November! :)

8 Rachel Randolph October 11, 2010

The first time I made Pumpkin VOO, I accidentally bought pureed sweet potato and it was delicious. I’ve been eating the real deal this week and I have to say, I may actually like the sweet potato better.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving. I told my husband yesterday that I wish America would celebrate Thanksgiving this weekend. It would make the holiday season so much less stressful! You guys thought this through much better than we did.

I just started a food blog yesterday because you and the other bloggers have inspired me so much as I’ve transitioned to a plant-based diet and Facebook is getting too cumbersome for sharing recipes and pictures with friends. I have a feeling I’ll be linking to OSG a lot since 1/2 the things I make are your recipes. I’ll be sure to send my two followers your way soon. ;)

9 Freya October 11, 2010

What a beautiful meal! Is thanksgiving at a different time to the USA in Canada? To be fair, I have no idea when the USA one is anyway…
Sketchie. Is. Stunning!

10 Shanna October 11, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving! It’s my all-time favorite holiday, hands down! Tons of good-lookin’ eats too..yay!

Love that you taught your cat tricks. I’m tempted to see if I can get either one of mine to do anything..ha!

11 Alexia October 11, 2010

great attitude about the ticket, angela! oh, and your cakes came out gorgeous. i love fruit is desserts. i can pretend i’m eating a fruit salad ;)

12 Alexia October 11, 2010

great attitude about the ticket, angela! oh, and your cakes came out gorgeous. i love fruit in desserts. i can pretend i’m eating a fruit salad ;)

13 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because its all about the family and loved ones, instead of all the commercial stuff. And you guys sure know how to dine on quality stuff. Yummy looking.

You of course got my vote!

14 Lisa October 11, 2010

Gorgeous photos! You’re a really great hostess!

15 Amanda (Eating Up) October 11, 2010

What a gorgeous weekend! I love that house and all the pictures you took of the scenery!

16 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 11, 2010

Your mother in-law is a great decorator!! Everything looks so gorgeous, including those Brussels sprouts of yours. :) Enjoy the rest of the weekend – even if it means being knee-deep in Glo bars!

17 Dorry October 11, 2010

What a meal! I love Yellow Tail – it’s a go-to for us. It’s fun to see Thanksgiving ideas before our Thanksgiving in the states. Go Canada! :)

18 Jenny October 11, 2010

Such a gorgeous house! I love love love it! I voted for you on the blog contest too : )

19 schmei October 11, 2010

I just love Sketchie! We travel with our kitty when we go to my in-laws’ house, too. Glad I’m not the only crazy one who does that!

I just tried to vote on foodbuzz and it seems to be down… will try again later.

20 JL goes Vegan October 11, 2010

Looks like a lovely holiday! I just read your Foodbuzz challenge post….WOW! Impressive!

21 jenna October 11, 2010

what a fun/beautiful meal! :)

also, is it just me or has Eric lost weight? congrats on the no soda, I bet he feels a million times better.

22 Sarah S-F October 11, 2010

I mean this in a nice complimentary way (not creepy husband stealer way) but Eric looks so awesome and fit and more handsome! Happy Thanksgiving to your family.

23 Hope October 11, 2010

Wow what a beautiful house your inlaws have!

I’m totally going to try and teach my cat some tricks – though I have a feeling I may come off second best!

24 Alyson @ Your Nourished Life Blog October 11, 2010

You’ve convinced me that I desperately need to get my hands on some blackstrap molasses! ;-)

25 claire October 11, 2010

Just voted for you! I really hope you make it to the next round too! Oh, and the thanksgiving looks wonderful of course too!

26 Marina October 11, 2010

Gosh I love that house, it looks so beautiful!!
And the food looks amazing also.
I’m glad you had a nice holiday :)

27 Claudia October 11, 2010

What a fun holiday! Sounds like everything, from the food to the weather was perfect. I’m so glad you had a good time!

Oh, and Eric looks great! Way to go on kicking the soda!

28 CathyK October 11, 2010

i absolutely love everything about this post today, angela! what a wonderful read for Thanksgiving Monday.
first, congrats to eric for NO POP. you know what, i confess i fell off the wagon and had two this week…now i feel so bad. it wasn’t that tasty. think i will stay off the pop wagon. :(
second, love the stone house. original stone walls are the best.
third, love the love that exudes from your famiy table at dinner time.
hope you can sneak some quiet time on this holiday monday!

29 Lisa October 11, 2010

That bowl of oats looks so decadent!

30 Jamie @ Food in Real Life October 11, 2010

What a gorgeous and interesting home! The table setting was fabulous too.

I can’t get over how beautiful your cat is! If he was my cat, I think my blog would turn into a cat blog.

31 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 11, 2010

I want that view from the kitchen :) What an absolutely beautiful house and table decor. These posts get me so excited and ready for Thanksgiving here!!!

32 Camille October 11, 2010

What a beautiful house and party!
I got a ticket for the same thing a few months ago. It sucked!

33 Jessica October 11, 2010

I just wanted to take a minute to let you know I love your blog! Not just the great photos and delicious recipes but the way you seem to put your heart into it. I love your posts like the letter from your mom or your letters to your former self and battles with binge eating. Posts like these are so real and sweet and I thank you for sharing and inspiring!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

Wow thanks so much for your comments. :) Im glad you enjoy it!

35 Katherine @ curvesforlife October 11, 2010

Your thanksgiving food looks so delicious! I celebrated last weekend with my family. My dad made an entire gluten free and vegetarian array of foods and it was delicious. I wish I took photos it was awesome.

36 Paige @Running Around Normal October 11, 2010

Love your Thanksgiving outfit! So cute:) Your MIL’s table really does look amazing!!
Sorry about your ticket though! Boo :(

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

thank you!

38 Allison Clem October 11, 2010

I am kind of new to your blog, but totally obsessed! I love the pictures, the recipes, and the inspiration! My husband and I now drink green monsters and eat VOOs every morning. I just received my first Amazing Grass wheat grass and super green food powders, but my GM knocked me over this morning; I definitely need to tweak the recipe. I also bought maca powder. I really think it needs some flavoring besides the banana and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I’m wondering what your favorite “cleanest” protein powders are? Or if you have any other suggestions to improve the taste?

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

Right now I am LOVING the Vega Choc-o-lot protein powder. Well Im all out actually, but it is an obsession as of late :) Makes everything taste like a chocolate milk shake!

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

ps- haha yes wheatgrass powder + maca can be very over powering! Start off with a small serving and adjust.

41 laura October 11, 2010

i am officially in LOVE with sketchie. so adorable!
your get together looks very homey and fun.
Glad you had a good time. :)

42 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 11, 2010

It’s been throwing me for a loop that Canadian Thanksgiving is in October…I just want American Thanksgiving to be here so the Christmas season can start :) Looks like a gorgeous weekend. I love how much vegan food there was!

43 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 11, 2010

A hundred bucks is not fun to part with but your attitude is great. In the US, lots of times when things like that happen, if you go to traffic court with your paperwork done and completed, the judge will waive the bulk of the fee as long as you prove you’re legit and everything’s done. Wishful thinking for you maybe…

Love the party pics! And Champagne. I dug into a bottle of Moet last night. So good :)

Have a super day hot stuff!

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

I was thinking about fighting it, however I’d have to drive about 2 hours to get to the town where the ticket was issued, so factoring in my time and gas money it might be about the same just to pay the ticket ya know?

45 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 11, 2010

Yeah your time and money is spent WAY better on other things….like having fun and having a life…not being in traffic court! :)

46 Marie @ quarterlife quandary October 11, 2010

love this post! I am sad I won’t have Thanksgiving over here, but I will have to recreate my own!!! Love seeing the leaves changing too :)

47 natalie October 11, 2010

happy Thanksgiving! we have a few weeks to go until our celebration here in the US, but I wanted to let you know that I am very thankful for having found your blog. I just did my first 5k this past Saturday and your posts about running and training definitely inspired me!

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

Congrats on running your 1st 5k race!!!! How did it feel?

49 natalie October 11, 2010

tough, surreal, and amazing! i sprinted the last bit of it to the finish line and i had a huge grin on my face. i can’t wait to do the next one!

50 Laura @ Backstage Pass October 11, 2010

Sounds like a great way to spend your Holiday :-) What a lovely family, meal and home!

51 Jaime October 11, 2010

Wow! What a beautiful home and celebration! The food looks super yummy, too.

We recently stopped drinking soda. About two months ago, actually. I’m really glad we did! Congrats to Eric!

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

Congrats for kicking soda :) Did you notice any benefits?

53 Jaime October 11, 2010

I noticed that I don’t crave a lot of the “bad” foods I used to crave all the time, which I think is partially because I used to eat these food with soda. Robert has been practically melting off excess weight. I might be crazy, but I think my skin looks better, too. Yay!

How about Eric? Did he notice any benefits?

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

Eric won’t admit it but I think his skin glows now hehe ;)
He has lost about 10 pounds just from kicking the pop.

55 Lizzie October 11, 2010

Yay Yellow Tail!! :)

Sorry to hear about the plate ticket. My husband got one of those one year and ended up getting towed off the highway (and getting a ticket!) and the tow driver wouldn’t let him ride back with him, so he dropped him off at the nearest rest stop (laundry and all – he had been visiting his parents) so he could call his roommate to come and get him.

So glad that you had a fun weekend with heaps to celebrate!

P.S: I STILL don’t have a kitchen . . hopefully by Wednesday! :)

56 Little Aspects October 11, 2010

Yay for Aussie wine!!! :)

57 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 11, 2010

Awwwe we havent seen Sketchie in forever!! He’s such a cutie :)

Dinner does looks absolutely delicious and it must have been great to have so many loved ones around :) Beautiful photos, too!

Oh, and huge congrats to Eric for not having soda for so long!!

58 Christine (The Raw Project) October 11, 2010

Gorgeous pics, amazing dinner and what a wonderful time with family. Sorry about the ticket, not fun.

59 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 11, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all the Canadian readers!!!

I love the thanksgiving holiday. I’m so happy that the weather this weekend was perfect for celebrating!

60 Judy October 11, 2010

Just voted. Good luck Angela.

61 sam October 11, 2010

your pictures are stunning!! what camera do you have?

62 jen October 11, 2010

aw, boo to tickets. maybe this’ll cheer you up: happy canadian thanksgiving, <3 cakewrecks! http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2010/10/something-about-moose.html

63 Bridget October 11, 2010

Cute pics, you look so pretty in that outfit! And a big high five to Eric for being off of pop for that long – yay! Haha I love that picture of sketchie with his paw out. I’ve seen that look on my cats face before lol ;)

Good luck on project food blog. I voted for you this morning so here’s hoping you make it to the next round!

64 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 11, 2010

Wow – everything looks and sounds so wonderful!
(well except for the ticket!)

65 Halley (Blunder Construction) October 11, 2010

That is a perfect home for family holidays! I love the antiquated feel, especially the exposed stone wall. C’est parfait! It looks like you all had a wonderful time, even the sketchie furball! :)

66 Ashley October 11, 2010

What a lovely evening. I want that plate of food RIGHT now. Can you bring those cakes to SanFran? :)

67 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie@hotmail.com) October 11, 2010

Eric’s family looks very smart :-) Like a family of professors!!! Hehe.

68 Valerie October 11, 2010

Looks delicious! I thought it was funny that the black chest in the house with the Japanese art is the same exact one that my parents have back home too! Hahaha. Glad you had a wonderful holiday!

69 Jill E. October 11, 2010

Angela, looks like a great time. i can not wait to american thanksgiving. i am hungry just thinking about it.

i have a stupid questions, my fiance claims that the cat finnegan i think, the second cat picture the cat on the right is totally photoshoped. honselty i do not care either way minus the 5 theoretical bucks that we always wager against each other. do you think you can settle this, though either way he will think his is right but its worth a shot?!

70 Jill E. October 11, 2010

Angela you can ignore that and not post it. my fiance did some google and now believes in marble bengal. sorry to waste your time. but for real your looks like a great time.

71 Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 11, 2010

Brad’s thanksgiving is now complete and he thanks you for the sketchie photos

In other news – I made your Frank’s approved loaf and brought it to Thanksgiving dinner last night, it went over quite well!

72 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 11, 2010

That looks like a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

And I love that picture of the trees along the highway. I’ve had to do so much driving this weekend, but I don’t even mind because of how beautiful the scenery is.

73 Cara Craves... October 11, 2010

Boo to the ticket!
I always find that the coppers are out in full force on Thanksgiving weekend…too bad!

I love that pic of the two kitties on the window ledge…so precious!

74 jaime October 11, 2010

I love your Thanksgiving outfit! We go up to Lake Superior for family vacations. I just love watching the sun set over the water. It is so peaceful and calm.

75 Sarah October 11, 2010

Looks like a fantastic celebration! I think my heart swelled while I was reading this post:-).

76 Lauren October 11, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving Angela!!! It looks like a beautiful holiday was enjoyed. :)

77 liselledyer October 11, 2010

wonderful pictures!!

78 Emily October 11, 2010

Such a beautiful Thanksgiving!! Your mother-in-law’s home is so beautiful, I love he old stone wall being on the inside :) Looks like a great weekend, what a nice get-away for you and Eric!! Good luck with the challenge, voted for you already!!

79 Rachael October 11, 2010

I love seeing pictures of other people’s Thanksgiving celebrations – haven’t been home for a holiday in years, and this way I get to live vicariously through the family good times of others!
That’s a beautiful house, too – truly appreciated the stone wall – I hope to one day live in an 18th century farmhouse, somewhere!
Good luck with the next round of Project Food Blog!

80 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 11, 2010

What a delicious meal and that house is GORGEOUS!

81 Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex October 11, 2010

What a lovely Thanksgiving you had. And…Sketchie can do tricks?! He’s the best cat ever. :P

82 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 11, 2010

Great pictures. What a beautiful table! I love that spotted cat! So pretty.

83 Wei-Wei October 11, 2010

Sketchie: “Whut. Who are you. What do you want.” Looks like so much fun, happy Canadian Thanksgiving! :D

84 Moni'sMeals October 11, 2010

What a fun time! So lame about the ticket. :(

85 Kristy October 12, 2010

Your house is so cozy! Make me wanna move to Canada :-)

86 GlowingBIL October 12, 2010

Great post and photos Ang. Crappy about your run in with the fuzz but as you said there are worse things in life!

Have a great week baking and blogging! Maybe the kids will come jump in your leaves soon

87 Jessica October 12, 2010

Just made those sweet potato oats (but hot)….so freaking good!!! And I needed something to use up my can of sweet potato puree! :)

88 Amber K October 12, 2010

What a fun time! Congratulations to the engaged couple!

The oats look amazing. I think I am going to miss oats the most now that I was diagnosed with celiac.

89 Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace October 12, 2010

I love the IL’s home and your MIL does some wonderful decorating. I especially love the table.

90 Gail October 12, 2010

What a beautiful home and location. It looked like the perfect setting for Thanksgiving. I’m surprised at how well it looked like Sketchie and your in-laws cats got along. Mine would’ve been hissing and spitting (and hiding) the entire time!

91 katie October 12, 2010

oh my gosh. I am not a cat person, but Sketchie is absolutely beautiful! and adorable! love when you post pics of him! :-)

92 R @ Learning As I Chop October 12, 2010

Wow, that table, house and meal are gorgeous!

93 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 12, 2010

This looks wonderful! Surrounded by amazing food and great people. I love Thanksgiving.

94 Pure2raw twins October 12, 2010

Sorry about the ticket…I just hate the feeling when you see those lights flashing behind you. Not that I am speaking from experience, haha.

What a wonderful family celebration!!! Everything looked great ; )

95 Kristen October 12, 2010

All of that food looks great and it looks like a wonderful celebration.

96 carpensm October 14, 2010

Oh yum those gingerbread overnight oats look so amazing! I will have to give them a try… I’ve been craving some fall flavours :)

97 Sherrie October 21, 2010

Hi Everyone… I am a friend of Angela’s Mom-in-law.
The pictures of this truly wonderful Family gathering really tells the story of love
and life in the Liddon Family. Happy Thanksgiving to all involved and Happy Engagement
to the Happy Couple. If this is what Thanksgiving looks like in this home ,
one can only imagine what Christmas will look like :)

Slainte to All…. and many many more Happy Gatherings !
Sherrie Cooper