Celebrations & Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving Monday!

Thank you for your amazing comments on my Project Food Blog Challenge #4 post yesterday! If you enjoyed my post and want to see me make it to the next round I would appreciate your vote (you click the heart). I have a fun idea for challenge #5 so I am crossing my fingers big time.

Where did I leave off before the last challenge consumed my life? lol. Oh yes, I was enjoying a wonderful Thanksgiving at my in laws. :)

Their house is a century home from the 1800’s. They added on a new extension several years ago. This below is the original stone wall that used to be the outside of the house.

20101009IMG 5513 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Now it is part of the living/dining room.

In the ‘original’ part of the house:

20101009IMG 55152 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Eric with his apple juice! ;)

20101009IMG 5514 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

He wanted me to report to you- still not a lick of pop since he cut it out in March 2010! Go Eric. :)

20101009IMG 5518 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

My mother-in-law can decorate a gorgeous table I tell ya…

20101009IMG 5502 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Every year she decorates the table in a new way and she always blows us away with what she throws together. I guess that is the interior designer in her coming out!

20101009IMG 5507 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

20101009IMG 5509 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Luckily it was gorgeous weather this weekend because the boat lift and dock had to be taken out of the water!

20101009IMG 5539 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Thanksgiving dinner was fabulous!

We were celebrating FOUR things: Thanksgiving, my mother-in-law Margaret’s birthday, our Aunt Sheila’s birthday, and my brother-in-law Steve and future sis-in law Joanne’s recent engagement (!!!).

20101009IMG 5576 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Good times!

The food was also delicious.

20101009IMG 5563 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

I enjoyed brussels sprouts (the best I have ever had), carrots, asparagus, lentil salad, croquette, and bread.

20101009IMG 5555 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

20101009IMG 5557 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

20101009IMG 5558 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

20101009IMG 5560 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Also enjoyed a couple glasses of red wine!

20101009IMG 55672 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

20101009IMG 5581 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Eric + beer

20101009IMG 5656 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

And then some celebratory champagne for Steve and Joanne’s engagement…

20101009IMG 5592 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

20101009IMG 5596 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

They are so cute together.

20101009IMG 5615 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Very happy for them. :)

20101009IMG 5616 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Dessert time.

20101009IMG 5606 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

I brought along my cakes and Sheila also contributed a couple desserts too.

20101009IMG 5628 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Gift time and performances by our niece and nephew!

20101009IMG 56372 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

20101009IMG 5665 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Then we had performances by Sketchie…

20101009IMG 5676 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

We taught Sketchie a few tricks: shake a paw, shake the other paw, and stand on two legs. As you can tell by his face he does NOT enjoy doing tricks, but he will do it for treats. ;)

He loved visiting his ‘brothers’ Clancy and Finnegan.

20101009IMG 5684 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Eric and I slept in the ‘music room’ by a warm & cozy electric fireplace! I was so thrilled to have it by the bed because it was FREEZING in that room!

20101009IMG 5694 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

I was the first one up in the house on Sunday morning! Well, that isn’t totally true, the cats were all up. ;)

I dragged my butt out of bed and watched the sun rise over the water.

20101009IMG 5541 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

I tried to get as much done on my Project Food Blog post as I could before anyone was up.

For breakfast I made Sweet Potato Gingerbread Vegan Overnight oats. This is one of my favourite new combos. It is so delicious it doesn’t even need any maple syrup!

20101010IMG 5701 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

In the VOO: 1/2 cup regular oats, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses, 1/2 cup sweet potato puree, pinch or two of cinnamon, 2 tbsp chia seeds.

20101010IMG 5707 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

Delicious and so filling.

The scenery on the 3 hour drive home was lovely and helped the time go by quickly.

20101009IMG 2184 thumb   Celebrations & Thanks

All was going fabulous until we got pulled over by a cop, not for speeding, but because our plate stickers were expired and we got handed a $110 ticket. Major whoops. We actually went to renew the stickers a month or two ago, but we didn’t have a required document so we left, and then we forgot to go back and do it.

I always feel so guilty + bad when I do something like that. I am like a dog with my tail between my legs looking at the cop. lol.

However, I am truly thankful for so much in my life and no ticket is going to ruin a great weekend with loved ones!

While today is a holiday Eric and I are both hard at work (me on my bakery orders and him on the hardwood), so I better get back to it!

Jessica @ How Sweet October 11, 2010

Wow – just gorgeous. I would love to watch the sun rise over the water! And the sights coming home are so pretty. They colors here are just starting to pop. That’s why it’s my favorite time of year!

Kristina @ spabettie October 11, 2010

Eric and his mom look alike! :)

YAAAY Eric for no soda! you GO !

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 11, 2010

you’re right that food looks amazing! and that picture of the dock made me want to go water skiing SO BAD!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 11, 2010

What a beautiful house! I love the stone wall!

Tickets are the worst — even when you “deserve” them. Good for you for having a positive attitude!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 11, 2010

What a lovely Thanksgiving spent with family (in a beautiful home!). My cat would never ever do tricks. I think its hilarious that Sketchie does them (although begrudginly).

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 11, 2010

I love family holiday get-togethers! Yours looks like it was a lot of fun and really makes me wish that the US’s Thanksgiving were here!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 11, 2010

Looks like you had a fabulous weekend! You made me really excited for the US’s Thanksgiving in November! :)

Rachel Randolph October 11, 2010

The first time I made Pumpkin VOO, I accidentally bought pureed sweet potato and it was delicious. I’ve been eating the real deal this week and I have to say, I may actually like the sweet potato better.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving. I told my husband yesterday that I wish America would celebrate Thanksgiving this weekend. It would make the holiday season so much less stressful! You guys thought this through much better than we did.

I just started a food blog yesterday because you and the other bloggers have inspired me so much as I’ve transitioned to a plant-based diet and Facebook is getting too cumbersome for sharing recipes and pictures with friends. I have a feeling I’ll be linking to OSG a lot since 1/2 the things I make are your recipes. I’ll be sure to send my two followers your way soon. ;)

Freya October 11, 2010

What a beautiful meal! Is thanksgiving at a different time to the USA in Canada? To be fair, I have no idea when the USA one is anyway…
Sketchie. Is. Stunning!

Shanna October 11, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving! It’s my all-time favorite holiday, hands down! Tons of good-lookin’ eats too..yay!

Love that you taught your cat tricks. I’m tempted to see if I can get either one of mine to do anything..ha!

Alexia October 11, 2010

great attitude about the ticket, angela! oh, and your cakes came out gorgeous. i love fruit is desserts. i can pretend i’m eating a fruit salad ;)

Alexia October 11, 2010

great attitude about the ticket, angela! oh, and your cakes came out gorgeous. i love fruit in desserts. i can pretend i’m eating a fruit salad ;)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because its all about the family and loved ones, instead of all the commercial stuff. And you guys sure know how to dine on quality stuff. Yummy looking.

You of course got my vote!

Lisa October 11, 2010

Gorgeous photos! You’re a really great hostess!

Amanda (Eating Up) October 11, 2010

What a gorgeous weekend! I love that house and all the pictures you took of the scenery!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 11, 2010

Your mother in-law is a great decorator!! Everything looks so gorgeous, including those Brussels sprouts of yours. :) Enjoy the rest of the weekend – even if it means being knee-deep in Glo bars!

Dorry October 11, 2010

What a meal! I love Yellow Tail – it’s a go-to for us. It’s fun to see Thanksgiving ideas before our Thanksgiving in the states. Go Canada! :)

Jenny October 11, 2010

Such a gorgeous house! I love love love it! I voted for you on the blog contest too : )

schmei October 11, 2010

I just love Sketchie! We travel with our kitty when we go to my in-laws’ house, too. Glad I’m not the only crazy one who does that!

I just tried to vote on foodbuzz and it seems to be down… will try again later.

JL goes Vegan October 11, 2010

Looks like a lovely holiday! I just read your Foodbuzz challenge post….WOW! Impressive!

jenna October 11, 2010

what a fun/beautiful meal! :)

also, is it just me or has Eric lost weight? congrats on the no soda, I bet he feels a million times better.

Sarah S-F October 11, 2010

I mean this in a nice complimentary way (not creepy husband stealer way) but Eric looks so awesome and fit and more handsome! Happy Thanksgiving to your family.

Hope October 11, 2010

Wow what a beautiful house your inlaws have!

I’m totally going to try and teach my cat some tricks – though I have a feeling I may come off second best!

Alyson @ Your Nourished Life Blog October 11, 2010

You’ve convinced me that I desperately need to get my hands on some blackstrap molasses! ;-)

claire October 11, 2010

Just voted for you! I really hope you make it to the next round too! Oh, and the thanksgiving looks wonderful of course too!

Marina October 11, 2010

Gosh I love that house, it looks so beautiful!!
And the food looks amazing also.
I’m glad you had a nice holiday :)

Claudia October 11, 2010

What a fun holiday! Sounds like everything, from the food to the weather was perfect. I’m so glad you had a good time!

Oh, and Eric looks great! Way to go on kicking the soda!

CathyK October 11, 2010

i absolutely love everything about this post today, angela! what a wonderful read for Thanksgiving Monday.
first, congrats to eric for NO POP. you know what, i confess i fell off the wagon and had two this week…now i feel so bad. it wasn’t that tasty. think i will stay off the pop wagon. :(
second, love the stone house. original stone walls are the best.
third, love the love that exudes from your famiy table at dinner time.
hope you can sneak some quiet time on this holiday monday!

Lisa October 11, 2010

That bowl of oats looks so decadent!

Jamie @ Food in Real Life October 11, 2010

What a gorgeous and interesting home! The table setting was fabulous too.

I can’t get over how beautiful your cat is! If he was my cat, I think my blog would turn into a cat blog.

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 11, 2010

I want that view from the kitchen :) What an absolutely beautiful house and table decor. These posts get me so excited and ready for Thanksgiving here!!!

Camille October 11, 2010

What a beautiful house and party!
I got a ticket for the same thing a few months ago. It sucked!

Jessica October 11, 2010

I just wanted to take a minute to let you know I love your blog! Not just the great photos and delicious recipes but the way you seem to put your heart into it. I love your posts like the letter from your mom or your letters to your former self and battles with binge eating. Posts like these are so real and sweet and I thank you for sharing and inspiring!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

Wow thanks so much for your comments. :) Im glad you enjoy it!

Katherine @ curvesforlife October 11, 2010

Your thanksgiving food looks so delicious! I celebrated last weekend with my family. My dad made an entire gluten free and vegetarian array of foods and it was delicious. I wish I took photos it was awesome.

Paige @Running Around Normal October 11, 2010

Love your Thanksgiving outfit! So cute:) Your MIL’s table really does look amazing!!
Sorry about your ticket though! Boo :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

thank you!

Allison Clem October 11, 2010

I am kind of new to your blog, but totally obsessed! I love the pictures, the recipes, and the inspiration! My husband and I now drink green monsters and eat VOOs every morning. I just received my first Amazing Grass wheat grass and super green food powders, but my GM knocked me over this morning; I definitely need to tweak the recipe. I also bought maca powder. I really think it needs some flavoring besides the banana and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I’m wondering what your favorite “cleanest” protein powders are? Or if you have any other suggestions to improve the taste?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

Right now I am LOVING the Vega Choc-o-lot protein powder. Well Im all out actually, but it is an obsession as of late :) Makes everything taste like a chocolate milk shake!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

ps- haha yes wheatgrass powder + maca can be very over powering! Start off with a small serving and adjust.

laura October 11, 2010

i am officially in LOVE with sketchie. so adorable!
your get together looks very homey and fun.
Glad you had a good time. :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 11, 2010

It’s been throwing me for a loop that Canadian Thanksgiving is in October…I just want American Thanksgiving to be here so the Christmas season can start :) Looks like a gorgeous weekend. I love how much vegan food there was!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 11, 2010

A hundred bucks is not fun to part with but your attitude is great. In the US, lots of times when things like that happen, if you go to traffic court with your paperwork done and completed, the judge will waive the bulk of the fee as long as you prove you’re legit and everything’s done. Wishful thinking for you maybe…

Love the party pics! And Champagne. I dug into a bottle of Moet last night. So good :)

Have a super day hot stuff!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2010

I was thinking about fighting it, however I’d have to drive about 2 hours to get to the town where the ticket was issued, so factoring in my time and gas money it might be about the same just to pay the ticket ya know?

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 11, 2010

Yeah your time and money is spent WAY better on other things….like having fun and having a life…not being in traffic court! :)

Marie @ quarterlife quandary October 11, 2010

love this post! I am sad I won’t have Thanksgiving over here, but I will have to recreate my own!!! Love seeing the leaves changing too :)

Page 1 of 3123»