Paris Hit List, Take Two

Hello :)

For some odd reason I am writing this post after a long day of traveling. Luckily, (sadly?) the Paris transportation strike did not effect our travels today, although many flights were indeed cancelled. It is currently around 8:30pm Toronto time and 2:30am Paris time right now and I am still figuring out why I am still awake and functioning at this point…!

I think I am just super excited to see Eric and Sketchie again. I also came home to quite the excitement. I will be showing you pictures soon…

So……..I take no responsibility for any incoherent ramblings I may write in this post. ;)

I also take no responsibility for the mysterious black dots that showed up on some of my pictures since our Versailles visit.

Exhibit A:

20100921-IMG_8342

It was sandy, what can I say. ;)

Exhibit B:

20100921-IMG_8345

The funniest part about the pictures is that I was in such a rush while blogging in Paris, I didn’t even notice the black spots until some of you commented on them! I guess I will need to get the camera cleaned. ;)

Now for more items on my Paris Food Hit List.

These are food items that I deemed a ‘once in a lifetime’ chance to try while in Paris.

Item 1: Macarons

See this post.

Item 2: Coffee

20100920-IMG_8079

Before Paris, I never consumed a full cup of coffee in my life. My parents never drank it and I just didn’t think I would enjoy it.

In Paris, I was hooked after the first sip.

A caramel flavoured sugar cube sealed the deal and made this one of the best tasting hot beverages I have ever tried. I also found that I loved it with just plain soy milk and no sweetener at all.

Thanks to all your suggestions, I will be on the hunt for some coffee now that I am back on Canadian soil. I think I will make coffee a once or twice a week treat in the morning to mix things up a little with my loose leaf tea. I just need to figure out our coffee maker…

I also tried out espresso and I loved that too. :)

20100917-IMG_7342

Item 3: Pastry

20100922-IMG_8483

I had this delicious apple pastry as part of my breakfast one morning and I fell in love with it.

Flaky, delicate, modest, subtly sweet and gooey in the centre.

20100922-IMG_8484

It was delicious.

Items 4 and 5 are from this famous bakery…

20100922-IMG_8486

Any guesses what they might be? :)

I will be talking about those in my next post!

And to finish tonight’s post, a few more pictures for your entertainment…

20100922-IMG_8490

20100922-IMG_8492

20100922-IMG_8519

20100922-IMG_8524

20100920-IMG_8134

20100920-IMG_8133

20100920-IMG_8207

20100920-IMG_8138

20100920-IMG_8141

20100920-IMG_8143

20100920-IMG_8144

20100920-IMG_8146

20100920-IMG_8136

20100919-IMG_2105

Ever wonder what a Starbucks in Paris looks like?

20100919-IMG_2106

20100919-IMG_7963

20100917-IMG_7237

20100917-IMG_7259

Hmm, it’s about 3am Paris time. I best get myself to bed. :) Goodnight.

1 Erin September 23, 2010

Such gorgeous pictures! I really want to get back to Paris in the spring or summer next time — I’ve been once in the summer, once in winter, and warmer weather is definitely the time to be there.

2 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 23, 2010

Gooorgeous photos – even with the spots…I’d just tell people they were UFOs haha. :-) Sleeeeep well!

3 Rhea (Greek Feaster) September 23, 2010

Please please PLEASE! tell me you tried pain au chocolat! Or creme brulee (though that would would be very decidedly un-vegan).

I stared at that colored TP picture for altogether too long. I don’t know which color I would choose!

4 Stefanie September 23, 2010

Lovley pictures as usual. I chuckled at the colored toilet paper. :)

5 erica September 23, 2010

is that seriously what starbucks looks like there?!?! i’d be there everyday twice a day! all the food pics looks absolutely amazing! i must go to paris!!!

6 Danielle September 23, 2010

Wow – that’s a Starbucks!?!

7 Kristina @ spabettie September 23, 2010

I love the Lego Eiffel!! (I have a big collection… not that I want the Lego one, but… ) ;)

I was so entranced by All Things Paris I did not notice the spots until you just now mentioned them. :D

Welcome home!

8 Leanne @ Radiant Balanced & Fit September 23, 2010

Welcome home to Canada :)

I wish our coffee places looked like the starbucks in Paris! SO pretty!

9 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 23, 2010

Yay on making it home without delays! Hope you tried a croissant and/or a pain au chocolat :)

10 Krystina September 23, 2010

I love the Paris condoms. :P The espresso looks lovely.

11 stacey-healthylife September 23, 2010

Did you buy any souvenirs, like clothes, shoes, or things for the house?

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2010

Yup will be showing those soon

13 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 23, 2010

The condoms and colored toilet paper rolls are too hilarious! I would have bought one of each, just to have :)

I’m glad you made it home safe and sound. I hope you get your sleep schedule back on track soon!

14 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 23, 2010

Is that colored toilet paper?! I would worry that it would leave some… color… behind. ?

15 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 23, 2010

I’m glad you made it home safely!!! Jetlag totally messes with me – it’ll catch up with you tomorrow I’m sure!

16 Lisa September 23, 2010

UGH! SO jealous you get to eat all that delicious food. That apple pastry looks DEVINE.

17 Exercise and Eat September 23, 2010

Ummm Jimmy Choo and pastries!? Perfection!

18 Jennifer George September 23, 2010

I love those chaussons aux pommes! They’re my favorite French pastry!

19 Bee Goes Bananas September 23, 2010

Paris looks so beautiful, I still can’t believe it!

Stunning!

Absolutely stunning!

Like…wow!

20 Nicole (Picky Nicky) September 23, 2010

Those pictures are amazing, and some – very funny ;)
Guess which ones I’m talking about!
Either way, I’m so glad that you tried a few non-vegan things. Being vegan shouldn’t feel like torture. You shouldn’t feel deprived or restricted. After all, it was your choice. I can’t wait to see a recipe for vegan macaroons! I know that any recipe posted on here will be delicious! :D
Have a good evening/ morning/ day
-Nicole

21 Jemma September 23, 2010

Delayed flights are always the worst thing ever, but atleast you found time to upload your great collection of photos. And you hardly notice the black dots! ;)

22 Toronto Girl West September 23, 2010

I can’t believe you went from never having had coffee before to drinking straight up espresso!!!!! You’re one brave girl!! :O

As far as the pastry – chaussons aux pommes were my breakfast pastry of choice when I lived in Paris. I would rather have one of those than a pain aux chocolate any day!

Thanks again for sharing your Paris travels! :)

23 Wei-Wei September 23, 2010

Oh, I didn’t notice the black dots at all… but they certainly don’t affect your photography! It’s amazing how beautiful Paris is.

24 Charlie September 23, 2010

LOL A friend went to Paris this summer and he gave one of those condoms to my boyfriend as a joke! I love the clock with the spoons and forks!

25 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 23, 2010

I’ve always wanted to go to Paris but now even more so after your trip!

26 bridget September 23, 2010

Hah that coloured toilet paper is awesome….but maybe a little odd to actually use :O

Coffee is amazing, especially when you find the right brand. It must be divine in Paris :)

27 Allison September 23, 2010

I’ve been to Paris and Love it too..It is a wonderful city..I agree the coffee was the best..I think you need to try our coffee that we drink in New Orleans..Here is the link.
It’s the best!! Coffee with Chicory..Get some rest, your hubby will be SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU..
welcome home..

28 Anne September 23, 2010

If you’re interested in buying some coffee for your house, you should check out 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters. They’re based in Vancouver.

Some other good coffee roasters include:
Stumptown (Portland, OR) http://www.stumptowncoffee.com/
Intelligentsia (Chicago, IL) http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/
Counter Culture (Durham, NC) http://www.counterculturecoffee.com

In any case, definitely try to buy coffee from an artisan coffee roaster. They care way more about their beans and tend to roast in smaller batches which produces a much higher quality cup of coffee. Additionally small coffee roasters tend to be more active in producing sustainable and fairly traded coffee.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

29 Pays Bas September 23, 2010

Use a french press at home for delicious coffee.

30 Amber K September 23, 2010

Absolutely beautiful photos! I truly hate coffee, I don’t even think I could like it in Europe!

31 Sarah for Real September 23, 2010

Oh I bet you can photoshop those black dots right out!

Do you think that flaky apple pastry was vegan? Or wait… maybe you were going to talk about all your non-vegan choices in your next post. I’m so curious! You seem to have handled all the food so gracefully.

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2010

haha no they certainly were NOT vegan ;)

33 Allison @ Food For Healing September 23, 2010

coloured toilet paper is classic!

were those condoms in that one picture that said I love paris, thats hilarious ha that’d be quite the souvenir

34 Moni'sMeals September 23, 2010

Jimmy, Epsresso, and Pastries. Works for me!
Hope you get a great ngiht of sleep. ;)

35 The Wife of a Dairyman September 23, 2010

I have never been to Paris, thanks for the tour! Love the photos :)

36 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 23, 2010

What am amazing trip. So sad to come home!

37 Camille September 23, 2010

I was wondering if you knew about the black dots!
Sleep tight!

38 Heather (Heather's Dish) September 23, 2010

i’m so glad you girls had a safe trip! welcome home :)

39 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks September 23, 2010

Yep, can’t go wrong with souvenier condoms! =P

Welcome home!

40 Marina September 24, 2010

I’m glad that the strike didn’t affect your trip back home.
Oh Paris, what amazing pictures. Isn’t that apple pastry amazing?
Actually, all the bread and pastries I had in Paris were amazing :)

41 Emily September 24, 2010

When I went to Paris in the summer of 2008, I wasn’t vegan (though vegetarian). That meant bread with nutella every morning, croissants, pain au chocolat, macaron CAKE, strawberry tarts, more bread, cheeses.. I was there for a month with two of my greatest friends, one who is a Paris native, so I think I tried almost everything. Anyway, I loved these blog posts and all your photos!

42 Janina September 24, 2010

If you think the starbucks is nice, you should come and visit the burger king in vienna! it is kind of super extraordinary

43 Sava September 24, 2010

Is that what I think it is?

Colored toilet paper?
*.*

Brilliant.

44 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 24, 2010

Well, it’s not 3am paris time, but it’s 3am san diego time and I am just getting home from work. So I am up reading about your jimmy choo spotting and adventures. Please, tell me you got a pair of Jimmy’s and you love them! Just lie to me. Tell me you went crazy at Louis Vuitton and Jimmy C. I need to live vicariously thru someone…hah!

Anyway, coffee. You’re officially entered the dark side. Welcome. It’s fun over here :) Cant wait to see what kind of coffee you find that may live up to Paris standards!

TGIF!

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2010

I got 10 pairs!

hahaha I wish

46 Ana September 24, 2010

Wow, you had an awesome trip Angela! I am loving to see your pics and read the posts about Paris.
My guess is that one of the two items left is a pain au chocolate, a chocolate croissant!
Ana

47 Natasha September 24, 2010

Great pics Ange! You actually took a pic of my fave Starbucks in Paris!

48 melissa @ the delicate place September 24, 2010

did you happen to get macaroons from Ladurée? the best! i didn’t like their coffee haha but i loved du cafe with a tiny chocolate or treat alongside :) my fave dish was either a lamb chop or Tartare de bœuf

49 GFree_Miel September 24, 2010

Your photographs are stunning! I’ve never been to Paris and never really wanted to….until now.

50 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life September 24, 2010

Beautiful photos!

51 Claudia September 24, 2010

Another coffee tip – you probably have a Ten Thousand Villages somewhere nearby you in the Toroto area. They sell fantastic Fair Trade Coffee from all over the world. It’s a good place to get your coffee from because the stores are run by volunteers, and you support a good cause by getting your coffee there! I personally like the roast from Tanzania and the decaf from Columbia. See http://www.tenthousandvillages.ca/ and their coffee under “shop>food & drink”. Let me know if you have any questions!

52 Lisa September 24, 2010

Are you going to come home and start cooking tons of French food? (I hope you do, and post recipes!!)

53 Lacey September 24, 2010

I would recommend using a French Press! You can get one at Target and your coffee will taste better.

54 Lauren October 16, 2010

Hey Angela-loved catching up on your Paris adventures. You may have already figured this out, but did you take those photos through the bus window? They could be bugs or spots on the windows because they aren’t in your other pictures. :) Looks like you had a wonderful time!!