Paris Hit List, Take Two

Hello :)

For some odd reason I am writing this post after a long day of traveling. Luckily, (sadly?) the Paris transportation strike did not effect our travels today, although many flights were indeed cancelled. It is currently around 8:30pm Toronto time and 2:30am Paris time right now and I am still figuring out why I am still awake and functioning at this point…!

I think I am just super excited to see Eric and Sketchie again. I also came home to quite the excitement. I will be showing you pictures soon…

So……..I take no responsibility for any incoherent ramblings I may write in this post. ;)

I also take no responsibility for the mysterious black dots that showed up on some of my pictures since our Versailles visit.

Exhibit A:

20100921IMG 8342 thumb1   Paris Hit List, Take Two

It was sandy, what can I say. ;)

Exhibit B:

20100921IMG 8345 thumb1   Paris Hit List, Take Two

The funniest part about the pictures is that I was in such a rush while blogging in Paris, I didn’t even notice the black spots until some of you commented on them! I guess I will need to get the camera cleaned. ;)

Now for more items on my Paris Food Hit List.

These are food items that I deemed a ‘once in a lifetime’ chance to try while in Paris.

Item 1: Macarons

See this post.

Item 2: Coffee

20100920IMG 8079 thumb2   Paris Hit List, Take Two

Before Paris, I never consumed a full cup of coffee in my life. My parents never drank it and I just didn’t think I would enjoy it.

In Paris, I was hooked after the first sip.

A caramel flavoured sugar cube sealed the deal and made this one of the best tasting hot beverages I have ever tried. I also found that I loved it with just plain soy milk and no sweetener at all.

Thanks to all your suggestions, I will be on the hunt for some coffee now that I am back on Canadian soil. I think I will make coffee a once or twice a week treat in the morning to mix things up a little with my loose leaf tea. I just need to figure out our coffee maker…

I also tried out espresso and I loved that too. :)

20100917IMG 7342 thumb1   Paris Hit List, Take Two

Item 3: Pastry

20100922IMG 8483 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

I had this delicious apple pastry as part of my breakfast one morning and I fell in love with it.

Flaky, delicate, modest, subtly sweet and gooey in the centre.

20100922IMG 8484 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

It was delicious.

Items 4 and 5 are from this famous bakery…

20100922IMG 8486 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

Any guesses what they might be? :)

I will be talking about those in my next post!

And to finish tonight’s post, a few more pictures for your entertainment…

20100922IMG 8490 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100922IMG 8492 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100922IMG 8519 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100922IMG 8524 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100920IMG 8134 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100920IMG 8133 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100920IMG 8207 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100920IMG 8138 thumb2   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100920IMG 8141 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100920IMG 8143 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100920IMG 8144 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100920IMG 8146 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100920IMG 8136 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100919IMG 2105 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

Ever wonder what a Starbucks in Paris looks like?

20100919IMG 2106 thumb   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100919IMG 7963 thumb1   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100917IMG 7237 thumb1   Paris Hit List, Take Two

20100917IMG 7259 thumb1   Paris Hit List, Take Two

Hmm, it’s about 3am Paris time. I best get myself to bed. :) Goodnight.

Erin September 23, 2010

Such gorgeous pictures! I really want to get back to Paris in the spring or summer next time — I’ve been once in the summer, once in winter, and warmer weather is definitely the time to be there.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 23, 2010

Gooorgeous photos – even with the spots…I’d just tell people they were UFOs haha. :-) Sleeeeep well!

Rhea (Greek Feaster) September 23, 2010

Please please PLEASE! tell me you tried pain au chocolat! Or creme brulee (though that would would be very decidedly un-vegan).

I stared at that colored TP picture for altogether too long. I don’t know which color I would choose!

Stefanie September 23, 2010

Lovley pictures as usual. I chuckled at the colored toilet paper. :)

erica September 23, 2010

is that seriously what starbucks looks like there?!?! i’d be there everyday twice a day! all the food pics looks absolutely amazing! i must go to paris!!!

Danielle September 23, 2010

Wow – that’s a Starbucks!?!

Kristina @ spabettie September 23, 2010

I love the Lego Eiffel!! (I have a big collection… not that I want the Lego one, but… ) ;)

I was so entranced by All Things Paris I did not notice the spots until you just now mentioned them. :D

Welcome home!

Leanne @ Radiant Balanced & Fit September 23, 2010

Welcome home to Canada :)

I wish our coffee places looked like the starbucks in Paris! SO pretty!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 23, 2010

Yay on making it home without delays! Hope you tried a croissant and/or a pain au chocolat :)

Krystina September 23, 2010

I love the Paris condoms. :P The espresso looks lovely.

stacey-healthylife September 23, 2010

Did you buy any souvenirs, like clothes, shoes, or things for the house?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2010

Yup will be showing those soon

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 23, 2010

The condoms and colored toilet paper rolls are too hilarious! I would have bought one of each, just to have :)

I’m glad you made it home safe and sound. I hope you get your sleep schedule back on track soon!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 23, 2010

Is that colored toilet paper?! I would worry that it would leave some… color… behind. ?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 23, 2010

I’m glad you made it home safely!!! Jetlag totally messes with me – it’ll catch up with you tomorrow I’m sure!

Lisa September 23, 2010

UGH! SO jealous you get to eat all that delicious food. That apple pastry looks DEVINE.

Exercise and Eat September 23, 2010

Ummm Jimmy Choo and pastries!? Perfection!

Jennifer George September 23, 2010

I love those chaussons aux pommes! They’re my favorite French pastry!

Bee Goes Bananas September 23, 2010

Paris looks so beautiful, I still can’t believe it!

Stunning!

Absolutely stunning!

Like…wow!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) September 23, 2010

Those pictures are amazing, and some – very funny ;)
Guess which ones I’m talking about!
Either way, I’m so glad that you tried a few non-vegan things. Being vegan shouldn’t feel like torture. You shouldn’t feel deprived or restricted. After all, it was your choice. I can’t wait to see a recipe for vegan macaroons! I know that any recipe posted on here will be delicious! :D
Have a good evening/ morning/ day
-Nicole

Jemma September 23, 2010

Delayed flights are always the worst thing ever, but atleast you found time to upload your great collection of photos. And you hardly notice the black dots! ;)

Toronto Girl West September 23, 2010

I can’t believe you went from never having had coffee before to drinking straight up espresso!!!!! You’re one brave girl!! :O

As far as the pastry – chaussons aux pommes were my breakfast pastry of choice when I lived in Paris. I would rather have one of those than a pain aux chocolate any day!

Thanks again for sharing your Paris travels! :)

Wei-Wei September 23, 2010

Oh, I didn’t notice the black dots at all… but they certainly don’t affect your photography! It’s amazing how beautiful Paris is.

Charlie September 23, 2010

LOL A friend went to Paris this summer and he gave one of those condoms to my boyfriend as a joke! I love the clock with the spoons and forks!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 23, 2010

I’ve always wanted to go to Paris but now even more so after your trip!

bridget September 23, 2010

Hah that coloured toilet paper is awesome….but maybe a little odd to actually use :O

Coffee is amazing, especially when you find the right brand. It must be divine in Paris :)

Allison September 23, 2010

I’ve been to Paris and Love it too..It is a wonderful city..I agree the coffee was the best..I think you need to try our coffee that we drink in New Orleans..Here is the link.
It’s the best!! Coffee with Chicory..Get some rest, your hubby will be SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU..
welcome home..

Anne September 23, 2010

If you’re interested in buying some coffee for your house, you should check out 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters. They’re based in Vancouver.

Some other good coffee roasters include:
Stumptown (Portland, OR) http://www.stumptowncoffee.com/
Intelligentsia (Chicago, IL) http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/
Counter Culture (Durham, NC) http://www.counterculturecoffee.com

In any case, definitely try to buy coffee from an artisan coffee roaster. They care way more about their beans and tend to roast in smaller batches which produces a much higher quality cup of coffee. Additionally small coffee roasters tend to be more active in producing sustainable and fairly traded coffee.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Pays Bas September 23, 2010

Use a french press at home for delicious coffee.

Amber K September 23, 2010

Absolutely beautiful photos! I truly hate coffee, I don’t even think I could like it in Europe!

Sarah for Real September 23, 2010

Oh I bet you can photoshop those black dots right out!

Do you think that flaky apple pastry was vegan? Or wait… maybe you were going to talk about all your non-vegan choices in your next post. I’m so curious! You seem to have handled all the food so gracefully.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2010

haha no they certainly were NOT vegan ;)

Allison @ Food For Healing September 23, 2010

coloured toilet paper is classic!

were those condoms in that one picture that said I love paris, thats hilarious ha that’d be quite the souvenir

Moni'sMeals September 23, 2010

Jimmy, Epsresso, and Pastries. Works for me!
Hope you get a great ngiht of sleep. ;)

The Wife of a Dairyman September 23, 2010

I have never been to Paris, thanks for the tour! Love the photos :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 23, 2010

What am amazing trip. So sad to come home!

Camille September 23, 2010

I was wondering if you knew about the black dots!
Sleep tight!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 23, 2010

i’m so glad you girls had a safe trip! welcome home :)

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks September 23, 2010

Yep, can’t go wrong with souvenier condoms! =P

Welcome home!

Marina September 24, 2010

I’m glad that the strike didn’t affect your trip back home.
Oh Paris, what amazing pictures. Isn’t that apple pastry amazing?
Actually, all the bread and pastries I had in Paris were amazing :)

Emily September 24, 2010

When I went to Paris in the summer of 2008, I wasn’t vegan (though vegetarian). That meant bread with nutella every morning, croissants, pain au chocolat, macaron CAKE, strawberry tarts, more bread, cheeses.. I was there for a month with two of my greatest friends, one who is a Paris native, so I think I tried almost everything. Anyway, I loved these blog posts and all your photos!

Janina September 24, 2010

If you think the starbucks is nice, you should come and visit the burger king in vienna! it is kind of super extraordinary

Page 1 of 212»