I’ve Got The Power

Hello!

Oh man, did my body throw a hissy fit when I went to bed last night. It was all kinds of confused and I was starring at the ceiling for a good 3 hours before I fell asleep, waking almost every hour or two. I am sure tonight will go much better; the first day or two is always a big adjustment!

I also was able to find a power converter for my laptop! I called the front desk and they brought up this huge honking converter that would convert a horse into a pony I am pretty sure.

20100918IMG 7365 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Last night, we set out for dinner.

Sadly, not on this beauty…

20100917IMG 7307 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Vroom vroom! I think I want one. ;) People in Paris ride in STYLE! Oh la la.

20100917IMG 7355 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Last night we found a cozy restaurant with a ton of atmosphere (sorry I forgot the name, I blame lack of sleep!) and we settled down for some food.

20100917IMG 7320 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

I love this display of customer’s notes!

20100917IMG 7308 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917IMG 7316 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917IMG 7321 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917IMG 7329 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917DSC00039 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Oops Kristi was looking down (at her food?) ;)

I asked the server for something vegan and he laughed. Never good. ;) Luckily he was charming!

We started with bread and balsamic + oil. No wine tonight. After having a bit too much wine on the plane, we decided to be on our best behaviour tonight and stick to water so we can rest up for a fresh start today!

20100917IMG 7327 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917IMG 7328 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917DSC00037 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917IMG 7315 thumb   I’ve Got The Power20100917IMG 7317 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Tonight shall be a wine night don’t you worry.

I was quite disappointed when I was brought yet another salad because I was hangry! Ahhhhh.

However with that being said, my fig and melon salad was one of the best I have ever had.

20100917IMG 7335 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

What the servers/chef lack in creativity they make up for in charm, let me tell you! ;)

The oil based dressing was so rich and luxurious.

After my second salad in Paris on Day 1, I have a new game plan:

My previous game plan for Paris was to ‘wing it’ and let the server + chef surprise me with a vegan dish. I’m all crazy and spontaneous like that.

However, my new game plan is…well, to plan a bit more.

Thanks to all of your suggestions I have some awesome restaurants to check out! I am determined to find more filling and satisfying vegan fare. I know it is out there, I just need to get a sense of the city first. I can’t expect to have all perfect meals on day 1 after all!

My mom had the beef tenderloin which was VERY rare and she didn’t care for it that much and my sister had sea bass fish which she loved, loved, loved.

20100917IMG 7331 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917IMG 7332 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Decaf espresso for dessert (with chocolate!). This was my first time drinking espresso- well, decaf if that counts? ;)

20100917IMG 7338 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Ok decaf espresso doesn’t count. ;)

It was very strong and bitter, but I drank it like a champ (aka, with sugar). ;)

and some of the most delicious dark chocolate beans ever:

20100917IMG 7342 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917IMG 7340 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Many handfuls ensued which might explain why I could not sleep until 1am.

20100917IMG 7341 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Then we headed out for a walk to find a grocery store to pick up some water and snacks.

Macaroon tower on display!!

20100917IMG 7343 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

I’m not going to lie, I am probably going to have to try a macaroon at some point, vegan or not. I have to know what it tastes like so I can make a vegan one at home, right?

20100917IMG 7344 thumb   I’ve Got The Power 20100917IMG 7345 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

I had a high protein Renew Glo Bar and a banana to satisfy my lingering hunger.

20100917IMG 7348 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917IMG 7349 thumb   I’ve Got The Power 20100917IMG 7353 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

My mom tells me this is the most expensive perfume in the world???? Anyone know how much it is?

20100917IMG 7354 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917IMG 7350 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100917IMG 7356 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

This morning my sister and I got up and hit the gym in our hotel. It is a pretty sweet gym!!! Treadmills, ellipticals, weights, bikes, stairmaster, etc.

20100918IMG 2104 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

My sis and I ran about 6-7k on the treadmill. Felt SO good to sweat!

After showering quickly, it was time to head run down to breakfast. Our breakfast is included every morning with the hotel and we were thrilled to see that they offered a HUGE selection. Probably the biggest hotel breakfast I have ever seen!! :)

Needless to say, I stuffed my face and then some. ;)

I had breakfast tea with a mix of my Matcha powder for some zing, zing, zing!

20100918IMG 7367 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

20100918IMG 7391 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

and delicious mango juice!

20100918IMG 7381 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Whole wheat toast with strawberry jam:

20100918IMG 7379 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

‘Vegan Overnight Oats’ with soy milk!!!!

20100918IMG 7383 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

So so so good.

20100918IMG 7389 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Their granola was unsweetened so I added some fruit and mango juice to sweeten it up a bit. I also added a ton of nuts!

20100918IMG 7384 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

I was in pure heaven, pure heaven.

20100918IMG 7380 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

My sis wanted to share her meal too! We all enjoyed everything so much and I am so grateful I have this selection to start the day off right.

20100918IMG 7373 thumb   I’ve Got The Power

Perhaps tomorrow I will take pictures of the spread of food offered. I felt a bit like a camera creeper today and was a bit shy! ;)

We are off to hop onto the ‘hop on hop off’ bus to get a sense of the city and where everything is. We are hoping to check out a veg friendly restaurant that comes highly recommended in Paris. I am excited.

Have a great day! :)

Annie September 18, 2010

Whew, double take! For a moment I thought your sister in white was you! :)
I’m glad you’re having a wonderful time and can’t wait to see the diverse vegan eats you discover during the rest of your trip. xo

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 18, 2010

Looks like you’re having a wonderful time! I’m sure you’ll find some decent vegan food soon – it’s a city, it has to be there!
Have a great time today :D

Keri September 18, 2010

Paris looks beautiful! I hope you find more food :) Have a wonderful time!

Helene September 18, 2010

Hey, Glad you’re having a good time. I should have told you that the vegan diet is not that popular in France :( The food looks yummy. I miss French food a lot. The perfume is about 90€, which would be about 120$ I think.
And YES, you have to try a macaron.They are so delicious. My favourite flavour is “Caramel Beurre Salé”. Not sure how to translate that. Basically made from salty butter. Doesnt sound good but it is!

JL Goes Vegan September 18, 2010

I’ve been curious how eating vegan in Paris would go. Have you check out vegan backpacker’s site? I wonder if they have recommendations?

alexa @ Sohdalex September 18, 2010

Pics look great! Seems like your having a fabulous time. I have a pretty hard time ordering food here, if you don’t eat meat I am always served a croissant covered in cheese….not my favorite meal staple. Surprisingly I have been served a lot of lentils here, though. It is probably one of the dishes I have the most: lentils cooked with eggplant, onions, and spices. ;)

Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 18, 2010

I am adoring all of your Parisian photos!!! Now I reallllly want to go back! :)

That is so great to know that at least you’ll be able to have a fantastic and filling vegan breakfast every morning. And yes, you need a scooter! :)

Jill Bradley September 18, 2010

LOL, horse into a pony… you are too funny!
Glad to see they have a good breakfast buffet at the hotel! I hate when its all white carbs or meat and maybe some soggy fruit salad. Lots of fruits and and granola is key!
Have fun today and hopefully you find some better vegan options!

Gillian September 18, 2010

I love reading your adventures Angela! If you guys want a fun dinner out I recommend Le 404, a very charming Moroccan restaurant. They do fabulous mojitos and a great vegan tanjine with couscous and vegetables!!

Carol September 18, 2010

You’d best warn your mum that in Paris even if you ask for a steak well done it will still likely be a bit pink, they realy don’t approve of anything being well done. My daughter ordered a hamburger once in a restaurant at Disneyland Paris and it was pink in the middle. I nearly sent it back and was panicking about food poisoning until someone reassured me that’s just how they like it over there and presumably they use steak mincee so it won’t do you harm but it’s just not what we’re used to I guess.

Christine September 18, 2010

Hi Angela, I hope your hunt for vegan fare goes well!! I’ve always wondered – how is chocolate considered vegan though? I’m not judging, just have always been genuinely curious – even dark chocolate usually includes some amount of cow’s milk right? Can anyone else advise? Have a great rest of the trip!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2010

Hey Christine, Dark chocolate can sometimes have dairy in it and it also can be dairy free. The server said it didnt have dairy in it. :) yay

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 18, 2010

Good luck with hunting for vegan food! Despite there not being many options, what you are eating is absolutely beautiful. Ahh, Paris….hope you ladies have a fun time and thanks for keeping us updated! I love living vicariously through blogger’s travels :)

MoniMeals September 18, 2010

Hi! So glad you are posting so fast! I am so happy you are there, I am dying to go.
I say: GO FOR A MACAROON!!! If anyone judges you, forget em!
Live it up!

Camille September 18, 2010

Hey. you only live once! You can’t go to Paris and not have a macaroon! :)

Veronique @ Hooked on Health September 18, 2010

Looks like you are having a wonderful time! My mom is in France too right now, and I am sure she is loving it too. You will be able to find vegan food eventually, you just have to explore around, which makes it exciting! That pink vespa is the cutest thing ever by the way… I kind of want one. It would be so much easier to whiz around traffic in and to find parking!

JenATX September 18, 2010

bonjour! are the parisians really as snobby as people say? I’m picturing you, your mom, & sis exploring Paris like Blair and Serena from Gossip Girl, haha. Hope yall are having a blast :)

Satori September 18, 2010

Thank you for the pictures! I am still a bit nervous to take out my DLSR in public all the time because I live in someplace that no one would want to take pictures of :P ….. I really notice the color difference between your normal pictures and Paris!

And I applaud you for eating healthy on your vacation! That sea bass looks so good…. I want to copy…

Maddy September 18, 2010

Le Grenier de Notre Dame is a fantastic vegetarian/vegan restaurant that I would recommend! Its address is 18, Rue De La Bûcherie, a little side street just across the river from Notre Dame. Bonne journée!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 18, 2010

Beautiful! Everything- the food, the scenery, the restaurant. :) I’d def. want a lil moped, too! There’d be no better way to ride in style! ;)

Amber K September 18, 2010

It is definitely frustrating when the only vegan/vegetarian option is a salad.

I am going to a Crab Fest that benefits the Shriners (and my Grandpa!) and the last time I went the ONLY thing they offered other than the crab was a salad. I was not prepared for that and was STARVING! This year I’m eating beforehand!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 18, 2010

Have a wonderful day Angela!

I’d be disappointed in a salad again too, but fig + melon sounds delicious! And what a breakfast feast you had! At least you can start the day off right!

I so want to go back to Europe, your pictures are making me so jealous :) Enjoy!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 18, 2010

Ok, that’s it. I’m moving to Paris. Or at least visiting very soon! Everything looks so good, and I love how there are so many scooters there!

And macarons are awesome. I hear they are hard to make, but I’m sure you could!

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 18, 2010

That is one nice hotel breakfast!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 18, 2010

Oooh you’ve gotta try a macaroon! My first night in Paris I stayed with a wealthy family (friend of a friend of a friend) and they threw me and my friend a big dinner party. There were SO MANY macaroons!! We went to buy them some as a thank you present and didn’t realize they were so expensive.

Worth every Euro though :)

Jenny September 18, 2010

I’ve always wanted a scooter! Paris looks awesome! :)

Sana September 18, 2010

I hope you can find a chickpea dish in Paris to fill you up a bit more!

Jessica@tastyandtrim September 18, 2010

I hope you get to enjoy some more satisfying vegan food in Paris! I’m sure you will track some down :) That fig and melon salad does look tasty though!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 18, 2010

Mmm, this post has me really craving some chocolate covered espresso beans. So good!! Hopefully you can find some more inventive chefs out there because I imagine you’ll tire of salads at every meal pretty quickly. Keep looking-I’m sure they’re out there!!!

And you should definitely try at least one macaroon. They are delicious :D

Emma September 18, 2010

I think those chocolate espresso beans definitely could have kept you up! I had coffee gelato with those beans in it once when I was in Italy and it wasn’t until I was walking back to the hotel that I thought “Wait, did that have a ton of caffeine?” I didn’t fall asleep until 4am! They were so good though and I don’t even like coffee.

Marina September 18, 2010

What would I give for a macaroon right now…or a warm baguette…
I hope you get some sleep tonight!

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life September 18, 2010

I hope you have an amazing trip….looks like you’re off to a great start! I will be living vicariously through you for the next few days. :)

Gloria September 18, 2010

I went unvegan for 1 thing in Paris: macaroons. Pllleeeeease try one so you can recreate them! I am missing them soso much! Enjoy Paris, it is AMAZING! PS – go to the opera house. It’s gorgeous and not often visited.

Rachel S September 18, 2010

As soon as I saw the picture of the floating messages on paper, I recognized that restaurant as one that I visited while in Paris, but I can’t remember the name of it! You must try a macaron, vegan or not, while visiting. They are amazing! I got my first one at Laduree– vanilla flavour. I also loved the pistachio and salted caramel macarons!

skinny latte September 18, 2010

Paris is one of my favourite cities Ange, I hope you have the most amazing time :)

I found being vegetarian there hard enough, so can imagine vegan is a challenge to put it mildly! If you get fed up you can always hop on the Eurostar over here to London, we have loads of vegan stuff :D heh heh, maybe next time!

I’d recommend, and I know you would love, Cojean for healthy smoothies, salads and sandwiches on the go – the vegetarian grilled sandwich is amazing, and you can ask for it sans boursin cheese or whatever cheese they’ve added. There is one in the Madeleine and one just up from Gallerie la Fayette (towards the 12th anddroissement).

Whatever you do, don’t go to Le Grain au Folie in the Monmatre area, worst vegie restaurant ever – it was like being transported back to 1967 where vegetarians only ate brown rice and grated carrot. A big fat NON to that one!

I’m really enjoying seeing how you keep up your excellent healthful eating in a city where there is indulgence and temptation on every corner! Hope you continue to enjoy and have loads of fun, and definitely splurge on a macaron :) xx

Allison @ Food For Healing September 18, 2010

oh i can’t wait to go to Paris one day! have a blast. I’m sure you will crash tonight!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 18, 2010

Have fun in Paris!! I love the place and I’m sure you’ll have a blast. Good luck trying to find vegan options. I think they may be pretty limited.

Eric September 18, 2010

Hey looks like your having a blast! Sketchie & I miss you at home!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 18, 2010

Tonight shall be a wine night don’t you worry. = LOL!!! you go girl!!!

the mango juice
perfume
macaroon tower
dark choc espresso beans!!
all of these pics…

holy moly, you are having the time of your life! And good for you for planning a lil more and not just leaving your food to luck and fate; sometimes we just gotta plan a bit more if our dietary path isn’t as common.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

Ana September 18, 2010

Looks like your trip is going well Angela!
And yes, you must try the macaroons!! I love macaroons!!!
Ana

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 18, 2010

Wow. Paris is amazing! Your salad looks really good, but it wouldn’t fill me up either :-) The granola was probably actually muesli, which isn’t usually sweetened. I got so hooked on espresso after I spent some time in Europe! Wish it was more common to drink it on a daily basis here.

Page 1 of 212»