Flashbulb

Good morning!

The headache still rages on. In fact, it woke me up this morning it was so bad. Not a fun way to wake up.

I decided I needed some comfort food this morning…

20100910-IMG_7128

Since eating leftover high protein garlic mashed potatoes for breakfast might be a bit strange, I decided to turn my leftovers into something magical with the help of leftover Veggie Chickpea Curry.

20100910-IMG_7131

Ok wait, eating chickpea curry in the morning is also strange. Scratch that. I’m weird.

The other day a reader commented that I should make potato cakes out of the leftovers. What a genius idea! I don’t think I have ever made potato cakes before, but I sure do love the thought of them.

I mixed my leftover mashed potatoes with the leftover curry and formed small patties.

20100910-IMG_7134

I had a feeling this was going to be awesome.

First I tried pan-frying them.

20100910-IMG_7138

I do not suggest this…they fell apart and stuck to the pan. I shed a tear but persisted onward.

20100910-IMG_7138

Onto a baking sheet and into the oven they went! Luckily I saved them. ;)

20100910-IMG_7143

Baked for about 40 minutes.

Ohhhh yea.

20100910-IMG_7168

Everything But The Kitchen Sink High Protein Potato Cakes

Ingredients (just estimates):

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F and grease a baking sheet or line with parchment. Mix together and shape into small patties. Bake for about 20 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.

20100910-IMG_7173

These. were. amazing. I couldn’t really detect the curry at all. It just tasted like awesome crispy garlic mashed potatoes and veggies. :) The chunks of chickpeas were also wonderful to bite into.

20100910-IMG_7165

As I ate I read some 9/11 articles in the Globe and Mail. Nine years have passed. I have so much respect for the rescue workers and everyday people who risked their lives to help others in need. My brother Chris is a firefighter so it always feels a bit close to home reading about other’s stories.

I still remember everything about the moment when I heard about the attacks. In psychology, we call this a Flashbulb Memory. With a Flashbulb Memory, an emotionally arousing event or piece of news elicits a highly detailed, vivid snapshot of the moment. Everything about the event is illuminated and imprinted into our memory forever. Just picture one of those old flashbulb cameras going off.

I was sitting in my tiny dorm room at the University of Guelph (Lennox-Addington building!), just having started my 1st year of university only days earlier. I was at my large wooden desk sitting in my uncomfortable wooden chair, looking up some of my courses and schedules. Suddenly, my roommate ran in to tell me that there was some kind of attack that happened. We turned the TV on and watched in horror.

I will never forget that moment.

Please take a moment today to remember those that were lost and their families.

20100910-IMG_7164

Do you have a Flashbulb Memory for 9/11? Do you know where you were when you found out?

1 kellyO September 11, 2010

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the space shuttle exploded and on 9/11. Those moments are still crystal clear in my mind.

2 Jen S September 11, 2010

I don’t think anyone will ever forget. I was cleaning a house at the time and the owner made me stop cleaning and sit with her to watch the horrifying news. God bless all involved.

3 Jessie September 11, 2010

I was working at the YWCA, a summer internship, sitting at the front desk in the corner when I heard about it on the radio. CRAZY that it was 9 years ago.

4 Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) September 11, 2010

i was in the 5th grade when it happened, and i remember every class stopping, people coming in from recess, and parents picking up their children pretty early. i didn’t understand what was going on, but when i saw my teacher crying i knew it was horrible.

5 Julie Grice September 11, 2010

I remember finding out in history class…the exact room and where I was sitting, too. We ditched our regular lesson that day and spent the period watching the news.

6 Heidi September 11, 2010

I was a junior in college and I was getting ready for the day. I came out of my room and my roommates were glued to the tv. I can remember everything about that house; that room, who was there…like a pp said, crystal clear! My friend worked in the Pentagon and was late for work that day when the plane slammed into the building…where his OFFICE WAS! Thank god for being late. Such a sad day in our Nation’s history.

7 CathyK September 11, 2010

i, too, remember exactly where i was: i was working at home and a friend called and said turn on your tv, something major has happened in nyc. i think the tv remained on for the rest of the day – i was horror-shcoked. and i remember where i was when i found out princess di had been killed – out for a 20 mile run with friends, and one of them filled us in.
do hope your head improves soon, angela!

8 Charlie September 11, 2010

Since I was only 9 years old and living in Quebec, I didn’t even know what the world trade center was! But I do remember that I was in elementary school and that, after lunch, those who ate at home knew about it. The teacher explained what happenend to us…must have been hard for him, explaining something so horrible to 30 children.

9 Kelly September 11, 2010

I definitely have a flashbulb memory. I was sitting in English class my senior year of high school and they made an announcement. I had lunch next so I went to a friend’s house near my school- our eyes were glued to the TV.

10 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 11, 2010

BRILL breakfast!
I was 11 yrs old, and my dad picked me up from the bus stop (weird in itself as he doesn’t live with me and I don’t talk to him anymore). He told me what happened and I didn’t understand at all…it took a while to.

11 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 11, 2010

My mom always used to do something similar with mashed potatoes.

I was in my first year of college and had just got out of the shower getting ready to go to class. I had on the news and literally saw the 2nd plane crash in real time. So scary.

12 Heather @ Side of Sneakers September 11, 2010

I love that there’s a name for those kind of memories- I remember writing an essay in college comparing remembering 9-11 to the Kennedy assassination- the flashbulb moment for the previous generation.

I lived right outside DC at the time- I was in Stats class when they put our school on lockdown. The eventually let us see the news, and it was horrible. I got called out of class to help be a student runner to let other students know if there parents were safe or not- I’m not sure that was a high schooler’s job. I remember my mom not wanting to let me go to work and I did anyways- I don’t think I completely understood the situation until later.

13 Danielle September 11, 2010

I live in NY and work about 15 mils outside of NYC. I was on my way to work, and for once I wasn’t listening to the radio, I had a CD on in the car instead. I found out when I got into work and a co-worker, whose husband worked in one of the towers, came in screaming and crying because she had just heard on the radio and couldnt get in touch with her husband (turns out he was ok!). The rest of the day is a blur. They let us go home form work, and watching news coverage became frightening yet addicting.
The next few days driving into work you could smell the smoke. And for at least a few months after, I followed every plane I saw in the sky for at least 30 seconds before I could break my gaze. I have friends who lost loved ones, friends who had to walk over bridges and across Manhattan to get out of the city. You cant help but feel for all the people affected by that day especially living so close. Hug your family today!

14 Tiffany (Stuffed With Fluff) September 11, 2010

I was 18 yrs old and it was one week before I moved 2 hours away for college. I woke up bright and early, excited b/c it was my bf’s birthday and I had so much planned. I went into the kitchen and my dad told me that I wasn’t allowed to drive anywhere. I threw a slight fit b/c I thought it was just my dad being strict. Then he turned me towards the tv and as I watched the replay of the planes hitting, everything changed. I felt awful for whining about something SO INSIGNIFICANT in comparison.

15 AGS September 11, 2010

I remember walking out of a college class where we’d been discussing the nature of conflict in international relations theory. . . and seeing everyone huddled around TVs. A couple days later, I walked from school to as close as I could get to the Pentagon with a classmate (I was in DC for school).

Also — you often add egg to potato pancakes when frying them to help them stick together (or at least something wet, like milk, to soften the mixture — otherwise it is quite crumbly). I do hope your headache clears up soon.

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2010

I thought about adding a flax or chia egg but decided I just wanted no fuss and to bake them. Next time I might try it when I have a bit more patience and am not feeling so crappy!

17 Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow September 11, 2010

I can remember everything from that day…everything from where I was, how I felt, the fear I had to the 8 hours of sitting in front of the TV with my closest girlfriends. The flashbulb moment is one of the clearest memories I will ever have.

After 9 years we always need to remember…remember how fortunate we are and remember what others have been through. Incredible.

18 Nicole M-H September 11, 2010

I remember I was in school, form 4. We were in the library watching the horror happen in the US. Our teacher called us in to look at it. It was unbelievable.

19 Lynne September 11, 2010

I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news. I was at work, sitting opposite my friend, when she said that her boyfriend had emailed that something awful had happened. I don’t think it really sank in until later, when I saw the terrible scenes on the news. I also remember exactly where I was and who I was with when I was told that Princess Diana had died.

20 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 11, 2010

Yes I remember where I was, I actually posted about it this morning. I was in my 2nd week of college and learned bits and pieces throughout the day. Then the whole campus shut down and I went home and watched the footage over and over again.

21 Katie September 11, 2010

I was walking between classes in high school and just felt a weird silence/tension in the air. I glanced in a random room and the teacher had the news on and I just stood there watching, not caring about where I had to be. Like you said, it’s a bizarrely bright memory of time standing still.

22 Antonia September 11, 2010

I was just days away from turning eleven (and now I’m just days away from turning 20, yay!) and I was sitting on my bed thinking about the presents that I would get when my sister came into the room telling me about it. I live in Europe and up to that moment had never heard about the world trade center or the pentagon so I didn’t really understand at first. But when I heard the adults talk about it I knew it was very serious and frightening.

Another question Angela: How is your strength training going? I thought you wanted to do that more often, didn’t you?

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2010

Yup…Eric and I will be starting up strength training when I get back from my trip. I will definitely post about it.

24 Hilary September 11, 2010

I remember it pretty clearly. I was in 7th grade and my teacher came in very worried but we wern’t allowed to turn the tvs on and see what was happening. She told us what had happened but I didn’t really understand until I went home and watched the news footage. I later found out that my teacher’s brother was very close to the towers when they collapsed, but luckily he was ok.

25 Annie@stronghealthyfit September 11, 2010

I was in high school, in sophomore English and our assistant headmaster came into our classroom to tell us the news. I couldn’t wrap my head around it and had an eerie feeling all day during school- a plane flew into a building? It just sounded so absurd.

26 Meg September 11, 2010

It was my senior year of high school, and I was walking into Honors Meteorology. The TVs were on in the classroom. When I looked up, I remember the shocked feeling seeing a plane sticking out of the World Trade Center. Then, the second plane crashed as we were watching, and I remember thinking it couldn’t be real, even as it happened before my eyes. When the plane crashed in Shanksville, PA, just an hour away from my home, I remember feeling like the world was crashing down. I will never forget those who lost their lives on 9/11, or the heroes of that day.

27 Rachel @ suburban yogini September 11, 2010

I can remember exactly where I was when all of the various IRA terroris attacks in the Uk happened in the 80s and 90s (and like you have huge respect for the rescue services because of this) but have no memory of where I was when I heard about the Twin Towers. My life is just divided into before I knew and after I knew.

28 Lizzie September 11, 2010

I was living in the UK when the Omagh bombing happened – awful. I feel like that was a wake up call for everyone, including the IRA – about just how badly there attacks were hurting families, and especially children.

29 Lauren September 11, 2010

Yep, I was in grade 6 and my Mom came to pick my sister and I up for lunch at school and she was so upset. She told us what was happening, although at that point, I don’t think I fully grasped the significance of it all. I just remember going back to school after lunch and feeling really scared. Our teacher sat us all down and told us what was happening. It was pretty crazy for someone my age at the time.

30 Kate September 11, 2010

Math class and my teacher left the room and came back to tell us about it.

31 Lori September 11, 2010

Oh, do I remember. My husband and I were returning from France on 9/10. He went to a conference in Washington DC and I returned to the west coast. He was in a building across the river from the Pentagon. The attendees at the conference had heard of the planes hitting the towers, turned the TV on and as they were watching the horror in NY someone noticed a plane out the window (this was a tall building). Everyone in the room went to the window and watched the plane hit the Pentagon. His journey back to the west coast was filled with planes, trains and automobiles. We both will never forget.

32 Gina September 11, 2010

Love the creativity of ingredients in those potato cakes! I remember being in middle school and everyone’s parents came to pick their kids up in the middle of the day. I remember wondering why everyone was leaving so early, and then I heard the news.
But I live in NYC and am so proud to say that it is still standing strong :)
Hope your headache feels better!

33 Viviane September 11, 2010

The oven has saved me from crumbling skillet patties so many times that now I don’t even bother anymore with the skillet anymore and put the patties straight on a baking sheet in the oven!

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I had been in class all morning at Dawson, then took the subway to pick up my car. While on my way home I distractedly turned on the radio and initially was bothered that there were people talking on every station, no music! Only when I paid attention to what they were saying did I understand what was going on.

Funny fact: my birthday was a few days after September 11 and for the occasion I had reserved for dinner at a restaurant on top of one of Montreal’s highest tower buildings downtown. Needless to say, the place was nearly empty!

34 Julie Boyer September 11, 2010

Great post! Have been really enjoying your blog lately. Keep it up! My thoughts on 9/11:

35 Christine September 11, 2010

Haha! Hey that was me!

:-)

I was in 8th grade at the time….but the teachers wouldn’t tell us anything!! It was clear from the hushed whispers, children leaving early, and phone calls in the hall that SOMETHING was wrong. Since it was a Catholic School, next thing you know we are in Church for a prayer service—but have no idea why!

I look around and see EVERYONE’S parents — except mine! Oh God, I thought something had happened to THEM. My parents were very involved in the community, and I could only imagine that there was a massive fire or car accident or something with my parents involved—the Church would certainly fill up with a prayer service for them!

Even at the prayer service they only speak in vague terms about why we are there. I don’t find out until it is over and I finally see my dad!

I live in a small town in NJ–30 miles out of the city–so we were pretty close to it, and one man in our town who worked for the port authority did lose his life that day. Last night we had our annual memorial at the High School and I couldn’t help but think—none of the High Schoolers there can probably remember this day–or at least very well.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the potato cakes–my mom would think your crazy for adding the curry! (and yes–we usually do add an egg)

36 Lisa @ I'm an Okie September 11, 2010

I do have a flashbulb memory of that event. I was a junior in highschool and I was home sick that day. My mom called when the first tower hit and I was still asleep. Sadly, I thought nothing of it. I figured it was an accident and I went back to sleep.

She called for the second attack. I got up at that point. I remember sitting in front of the TV watching in horror. My brother only lived a mile away from the buildings and I was scared for him. I remember feeling scared and alone because I had no one else there with me. Just watching it in silence with myself.

I have a bigger flashbulb memory with the Oklahoma City Bombing. It was in 1995, and I was in 4th grade. We heard a big boom in our class and it shook and we looked out the window and saw smoke. Timothy McVeigh blew up a Federal Building in Downtown Oklahoma City because he was upset at the government. 169 people died. Including children (these was a daycare in the building). It was horrifying because I was so young and we heard it…we saw it. I went down to the building before it was imploded and it was the sickest feeling in my life. You could sense death, feel death. It seemed so hallow. So quiet (it was standing for about 2 weeks to find all the bodies or survivors). I cried the whole time I was there. At the same time, Okalhoma City came together in a way I will never forget.

Sadly, I feel like most people have either forgot about this event. I wrote a post on it in my blog to commememorate the memorial this past April. A lot of my readers had no idea that it ever happened because they were just too young when it happened. Also, a lot of my Canadian readers never knew.

Here’s a link with more information..we need to not forget that event as well. Anytime either one of these days (9/11 or April 19th) roll around…I saw a prayer for the lost souls and families of them at both events. Both horrific events of terrorism (one domestic).

I’ll stop rambling—here’s a link about the Oklahoma City bombing.

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2010

I definitely remember Oklahoma City Bombing. I don’t have a flashbulb memory of it though or even knew where I was at the time in 1995. Probably because I moved around so much when I was young.

38 Gail September 11, 2010

I definitely have a flashbulb memory of the Oklahoma City Bombing. I was at work, and there were a lot of reports about it on the radio. It still didn’t really hit home, I thought it was something like a furnace explosion. It wasn’t until I came home that night and watched tv that the full impact of that event hit me. That was pretty traumatic and I tried to wrap my head around how anyone could do such a thing. I couldn’t imagine actually being around that when it happened. I’m sure it has affected you for the rest of your life.

39 Bree September 11, 2010

Totally remember. I was in an undergrad english class learning about Beowulf (gag me lol). We got conflicting reports…people were saying a plane had crashed into a mall or something. We didn’t know how serious it really was or what was going on. When I was driving home my Mom called me and told me to fill up on gas because we were going to war. :-O

40 Lauren @ Health on the Run September 11, 2010

Yes, I definitely remember exactly where I was and what I was feeling. I think this day 9 years ago will forever be burned into my memory. I was in my senior English class when another teacher came in and handed a piece of paper to my English teacher. As my teacher began to read from it, I remember thinking it wasn’t real — it was some sort of prank, some weird joke, or a practice emergency scenario. I could tell when it started sinking in around the room that this was actually happening, and how panicked everyone became. The worst part was that after a few minutes, the principal got on the loudspeaker and made all of us turn off the TVs. It felt so hopeless to be trapped in a room with such devastation going on outside and not being able to know what was happening (or do anything about it).

41 Violetta Dima September 11, 2010

I totally remember. It was my first year of high school, and I was in a social studies class. We were all speachless as we watched the events pan out on TV. It was such a tragedy, my thoughts and prayers go out to anyone who have a loved one or friend that fell victim to that fateful day.

42 Maissa (Run, Rant, Realize) September 11, 2010

I was in my Freshman year of high school, in San Francisco, so it was about 6:30 am and I had just gotten up to get ready for school. I turned on the morning radio show I liked and they were talking about it – I actually thought it was a joke because this radio show was known for jokes. But it seemed extreme for them so I asked my dad to look it up but before he could the school bus arrived. I got on the bus and then I knew it was true. We listened in shock all the way to school and watched the news all day instead of class. I remember when we drove home that night we had to cross the Golden Gate Bridge (my school was in Marin, I lived in San Francisco) and we were the only ones on the bridge and it was lined with security. The city itself was dead quiet.

I certainly can’t believe it has been nine years…

It also means I started high school nine years ago! How did it get SO long ago???

43 Camille September 11, 2010

I was in the 6th grade and I remember waking up to the radio and hearing them talking about something that I didn’t really understand. I am on the West Coast, so it happened while we were still sleeping. I remember that my little sister and I were arguing over the last of the milk and my Mom yelled at us, “How can you argue about something so small today!?”
I didn’t fully understand what was going on until they announced it over the loudspeaker at school. Until then I knew that something terrible had happened, I just didn’t know what.

44 Erin September 11, 2010

I lived in L/A too! Those wood chairs were awesome :P

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2010

haha I liked that they rocked but that was about it!

46 Karen September 11, 2010

I was at work on 9/11/01. I’m a nurse and at that time I worked in a surgical ICU. We didn’t start getting our patients out of the OR until around 11 or so, so it was a light-hearted, quiet morning in the unit. The patients who were 24hrs post-op were sitting in chairs at their bedsides and we had rolled our one TV for the unit in front of one of the patients. I’ll never forget when that news alert poped on screen. It was horrifying and I knew immediately that we would be going to war. Somehow I just knew it wasn’t an accident. I can not believe it’s been 9 years!

On the potato cake front: my parents have always made “cakes” out of leftovers. Try coating your patties in breadcrumbs (or crushed flax, cornmeal, quinoa, etc) and then pan-frying them. You have to do it on a LOW heat and be VERY patient. I wouldn’t try flipping them for a good 10-15 minutes. It sounds like a long time, but you had ’em in the oven for 40 minutes anyway, right? Happy cooking!

47 Crystal September 11, 2010

I was in Jr. high school when it happened. I came upstairs after having a shower and my mom was sitting in the living room watching tv with the lights off and smoking a cigarette really intensely. I asked her what was wrong and she said the Towers and the Pentagon had been hit. She was concerned because my great aunt works IN the Pentagon. I don’t think it really hit me how horrible it was because I had the thought that “well, it isn’t in Canada so I’m not going to worry about it.” I was so naive!

I Love your idea for baking those potatoes. I often have leftover potatoes in the fridge and that sounds like a much healthier way to eat them for breakfast instead of trying to fry them in a pan.

48 Miranda @ MirandasJeans September 11, 2010

I was in class too when I first hear. It was my first year if college, and that morning I was in class all morning from 9-12. Being that my two classes were in the same room, I had no clue when my next teacher came in what she was talking about when she came in at 11am and said to us “I’m sure you must all be wondering what’s going on now”

The whole class shook our heads telling her we had been in class all morning and have no idea what she is talking about.

She filled us in what she knew to that point. She told us that the student union had set up a tv to watch the news between classes.

When I was done classes for the day, I remember going home to see my parents (as I lived at home my first year of college) then I went over to my husbands (boyfriend at the time) parents house and just numbly watching the news in the living room. We pretty much just stayed glued to the news all day and night long.

Having my brothers and husband who are work as firefighters and police, I can only imagine the stress and strength those who were there to respond went through and still go through every day.

My heart and thoughts go out to all the victims, family members, emergency responders and volunteers today.

49 Faith @ lovelyascharged September 11, 2010

I was in 8th grade; I remember being in math class (which I hated), and our principal came in and told us all to go meet in the auditorium. I remember being like “YES! No more math class!!!” until we realized why we had been pulled out…we sat and watched footage all day and I remember being shellshocked by the film…

50 Amanda September 11, 2010

I was a junior in high school….. in organic chemistry when our principle came on the PA to announce what was happening. I guess all the teachers that did not have a class right then were in his office watching it. It was a pretty awful day here in the states…. actually that whole week sucked!

I didn’t know that was called a flashbulb memory, neat!

51 callie September 11, 2010

Gosh darn-it, I just love your blog. That chickpea veggie curry looks amazing – and love the idea of mixing it with the mashed potatoes – Sooo yummy looking.

52 Maria @ runningcupcake September 11, 2010

Hi there
I have never heard of the term “flashbulb memory” but it is very interesting. I was at the cinema with my boyfriend (we were at uni and had the afternoon off) and as we were walking around the shops we saw the footage on TV screens, and thought it must be a film with crazy special effects. It did not seem real at all. We spent the evening watching it all unfold on TV like a nightmare.
A while back we went to see the film “world trade centre” and at the end of the film there was silence, and all you could hear was people in the cinema crying. It was very emotional, but also uplifting to see the amazing work that all the rescue people and volunteers did.

53 Kate September 11, 2010

It was my first year of college and I was in my “First Year Seminar” class. My roommate and I had watched a rerun of Saved By The Bell that morning while getting ready for classes, so we didn’t catch anything on the news. One of the girls in our class told us about it and our professor let us out early and classes were canceled the rest of the day. :( I can’t believe it’s been 9 years!

54 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 11, 2010

I was sitting in a computer chair watching one of my school lessons on video tape while I had the dog in my lap. My mom burst in crying saying that there had been a terrorist attack on America. Later that day a friend and I talked about what this all meant for us down the road. She was saying that it would be the next World War III and that our husbands would be fighting in that war (we were 13 at the time). We’re both married now, and while her husband has no intentions of going into the military, mine does.

55 Gail September 11, 2010

I have to give kudos to your husband. I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone in the military. No matter what their intentions were for joining, you know that there’s always a possibility of them having to go into some sort of combat situation and put their lives on the line in order to protect us. My husband served 4 years as enlisted, and another 23 years as an officer, and he ended up going to Afghanistan for Operation Enduring Freedom, and later to Iraq for the Iraqi War (he also spent some time in Bosnia during their war). Although those were very stressful times (I was always worried his plane would be shot down), I can say that I’m the most pride military wife there is for what my husband did :0)

56 Stefanie September 11, 2010

I remember I was getting ready to leave for school when the news replayed the scenes of the planes crashing into the building. It is hard to believe it has been 9 years already. I’m thankful for the men and women who put their lives in danger to save those people and to fight for our freedom.

Those potato cakes look good. I just so happen to have some left over protein potatoes that are calling out to be baked.

57 Gail September 11, 2010

I am also thankful!

58 Kristina @ successofficesolutions September 11, 2010

Gosh I remember every second of that day. Taking my husband to work, turning on my radio and hearing just commotion…..things were going terribly wrong. Getting home just in time to see the second tower hit and noone knowing where all the other planes were. I was glued to the TV as friends and family called me even though I was a in Las Vegas. I remember going to work at the Credit Union I worked at and our CEO coming to us all personally, telling us to tell our customer to take money out because we did not know what lie ahead. I remember scores of people coming in and calling…because they just did not know what to do. Then I remember not being able to stop watching ever following afterevent.

I still watch every year all the news and remember. I think we remember because we owe it to all those people that lost their lives and to all the others who tried their hardest to save and preserve what little they could.

59 Nikki @ Balance and Moderation September 11, 2010

I was in my room getting ready for work. I turned the radio on to listen to some tunes and heard the report. I thought it was a radio “gag” at first especially when the second plane flew into building #2. Finally, I turned on the news and saw it. I will never forget the images of the people jumping from the building….Lord have mercy.

60 Colleen September 11, 2010

Yes, I remember exactly where I was. I’ll never forget that day and the days/weeks/months to follow. It changed my life forever. God bless the victims and the survivors. xoxo

61 Ashley September 11, 2010

Glad you saved the cakes!! They look awesome but I would have HATED waiting 40 min. for them to bake for breakfast, hehe. The hunger monster is in full force in the AM! — I totally remember the exact situation as well. I was actually just getting ready to leave for Ohio State for my first year. OSU started late in September, so I wasn’t there yet. I was the only one home and I think my dad called to wake me to tell me to turn the TV on. I was home alone, glued to the TV. I definitely remember everything about that day.

62 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 11, 2010

I was in the 6th grade sitting in class when one of the teachers came into the room and called us all into the cafeteria. There was a big TV and the entire school watched the news. We watched it for about 2 hours, went back to the classroom and talked about it. I had “latestay” after school and we watched it on the TV that was in that building, too. I remember talking to my friend about it because we were confused as to how the planes even fit in the building. Of course, we thought it was much more innocent than it actually was- that even the people above the planes were able to get out alive.

I can’t believe it’s been 9 years already. Feels like yesterday.

63 MoniMeals September 11, 2010

Yes, I was driving cross country from Colorado to Oregon. I thought OH-NO this is a dream right? We had 2 friends work in the building and they both were ok. It is so hard to think how this happened…My thoughts are with all on this special day.
I love your breakfast, way to switch it up! Also sorry to hear about your headaches…

64 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 11, 2010

Ange, you seem to have an abnormally high success rate with random combinations in the the kitchen! Had I tried to make those potato cakes I’m sure it would have been a disaster!

When 9/11 happened, my family had been living in the Middle East for a grand total of 12 days. My sister and I came home from school to find my mum watching TV and saying “You’re never going to believe what just happened.” We were watching the replay of the planes smashing into the WTCs and a whole bunch of people running. I didn’t understand it at first (I was 13), and certainly didn’t believe that it was happening in the US. As you can probably imagine, it made my mum, sister, and I very skeptical about staying in the Middle East for my dad’s job!! I can’t believe it was 9 years ago… it doesn’t seem like that long because, like you said about flashbulb memories, they’re so vivid and I remember it so well.

65 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 11, 2010

I was walking out of a school assembly (I was in high school at the time) when I heard something had happened. I was so frustrated with our teachers because some would not let us watch it and tried to go on with a normal day. My dad was in the Sears Tower in Chicago that day, so I spent most of the school day trying not to panic. Finally, I was able to go home and watch the news coverage of it. Luckily, everyone I knew was ok, but I always try to keep those who suffered in my thoughts.

Breakfast looks awesome as usual!

66 Lindsay September 11, 2010

I was in world civilizations class, and one of the students told us there was some sort of big news when she came in. It didn’t really sound like enough reason to interrupt class at that point, but our teacher figured that since it was a history class, watching current events would make sense. Then, we realized what a big deal it was.

67 christina cadden September 11, 2010

Your cakes looked like they turned out great. I remember that I was in bowling class and we sat there and watched it on TV. What a sad day.

68 Amber K September 11, 2010

I do, but I think it is mostly because of everyone else always talking about theirs. I even remember that day listening on the radio and them saying “This will be a moment where everyone remembers where they were when they first heard.” And so it is completely in my head :

I was driving home from my best friend’s house. I was supposed to spend the night and the next day, but she ended up getting really sick so I decided to head home. I just happened to be listening to the radio instead of a CD and heard about it.

I’ll also always remember where she was for the same reason. She ended up sleeping most of the day and when her brothers came home from school and told her she didn’t believe them. It wasn’t until she was watching the news the next day that she saw they were right!

69 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 11, 2010

I was living an hour outside of D.C. on 9/11 and was a senior in high school. I was in AP Government class when another teacher burst into our room, interrupting the lecture. He was frantic and the first words out of his mouth were “They are evacuating the White House”. We sat there obviously confused and later the news hit and were worried. Our teacher went on the computer and checked out facts. I think I sat in awe and we spent the rest of the day crowded in the library listening to the TV. Later that evening, my friends and I got together for a prayer circle and some companionship.

70 Stacie September 11, 2010

I was working in surgery and a staff member came into our operating room to tell us what happened. At first we didn’t believe her and she said I would not joke about something like this. One of the nurses went to the computer in our room and was able to pull up news feedstThanks goodness for the internet. Of course our thoughts were focused on caring for our patient, but we couldn’t help but think of the lives that were forever changed that day. It wasn’t until we went home for the day that we realized the severity.

Have you hugged or thanked a armed forces service member, EMS member (police, fire, paramedic, etc) for their service today? Please do! For those involved and effected by 9/11….you will never be forgotten.

71 Gail September 11, 2010

I’ve got flashbulb memories of the Oklahoma City Bombing, the Columbine School Massacre (I live about 5 miles from that school), and of course 9/11. I was driving to work at the time, but I had a CD in so I hadn’t heard the radio. I heard about it when I got to work and saw it online. At first everyone thought there must’ve been a pretty bad rainstorm in NYC that caused a plane to get lost, or that it was a little commuter plane. It wasn’t until the second plane hit that it hit home that this was a terrorist attack. We all watched a tv in the conference room. When I walked in was when the first tower fell. I totally freaked out. I’m from the NYC area, and my family had visited the WTC years ago and I remember how BIG those buildings were, and all I could think of were all the people trapped inside. My boss let us go home early that day. I started getting really anxious, not just because of what else might happen that day, but for my husband (then boyfriend) who was a navigator in the Air National Guard, and I was worried about him possibility being called to active duty (which did happen about 6 months later). My heart goes out to all the victims of not just WTC and the Pentagon, but across the globe to the England attacks, etc, and to their families and friends. I also am so humbled by all the brave men and women of the NY fire and police departments who risked their lives to go into those buildings to save other lives. Absolutely amazing, amazing people! And I’m also so thankful for all the men and women in the military – they’re brave people as well!

72 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 11, 2010

I was sitting in my history class when my principal announced what happened over the loudspeaker. I will never forget..

73 Jenny September 11, 2010

I was 13 years old and in school. I didn’t know what the Twin Towers were. My friend loved NYC and knew all about it. We had a service in school as we awaited more details. I didn’t really understand.
I came home and my mom hugged my twin sis and I and she explained it more. People may diss George Bush, but his speech actually comforted me (unlike our current president, cough cough, sorry don’t mean to drag politics into this). I was a selfish teenager and was acting like I didn’t care, cuz I honestly didn’t. But that night I was watching the interviews with people on the street. And they interviewed one woman who couldn’t find her fiance. He worked in the Twin Towers…and she didn’t know if he was alive or dead. That just hit me. I excused myself and sat on the stairs and cried. I felt so sad for everyone who didn’t know if they had lost something. Imagine the stress and fear! No one deserves to experience that. My heart was so heavy.
Remember 9/11!

74 Chelsey September 11, 2010

I’m sorry your head is still killing you!! Thos epotato pancakes look delicious though!

I was a freshman in high school and found out that morning while watching Good Morning America. We had a delayed start from school that day (we had one every 2nd Tuesday of the month) and I actually watched the second plane hit the second tower. It was very scary and we really didn’t have any idea what was going on. We still went to school, but all activities/etc. were cancelled that day. I remember there being NOTHING on the TV for weeks after that – I even remember the kids stations had only 9/11 news on it!

75 Amy September 11, 2010

I too was in my dorm room at U of G… East Res though!!

76 Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing September 11, 2010

I was 13 and we had just got back into class after lunchtime. We had a substitute teacher that day and she was visibly shook up. She said that there had been a terrorist attack in NYC on the Twin Towers. I remember one classmate asking questions – she seemed to understand what a terrorist attack was. I didn’t know what the Twin Towers were or what a terrorist attack meant. But the look on everyone’s face told me it was serious so I played along as best I could! Even after seeing the footage, I didn’t quite get it. It took me a long time to understand what had happened and how huge it all was.

77 Allison @ Food For Healing September 11, 2010

i was getting ready for picture day at school, and i seriously thought it was “when building collapse” a demolition show. It was freaky

78 hippierunner September 11, 2010

I remember I was in the 6th grade and it was right before school. My cousin and mom were telling me what happened and I completely did not understand the magnitude of the situation at all. I was more worried about getting ready and what I was going to be wearing, which I also remember exactly.

79 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 11, 2010

I definitely have a flashbulb memory for 9/11. I was driving to University when I found out. I remember that that was all we talked about at school that day, and then when I got home, all I did was watch the news.

80 Lizzie September 11, 2010

I was working at my old job in a radio station as the receptionist, and I remember how the whole programming went freeform for at least the following week – it seemed like an outlet for people to really express their feelings through song choices and getting on air. My husband had a friend from school who died, and I remember going to her funeral and crying even though I had never met her. I cried when they put up photos on the TV of people who had died – it made it seem even more real. Never forget.

81 Jessica September 11, 2010

I was in history class in the 10th grade. We had our books open to a page with a photo of the wtc towers. The teacher’s aide ran in and told us the news. We weren’t sure the severity of it all until next period. Our teacher for that period went about class as normal. I don’t know why, no one could focus.

82 Tina September 11, 2010

I very vividly remember what I was doing and I think I always will. Mine was pretty similar to yours actually. It’s interesting that we will likely remember it as strongly as our grandparents remember the attack on Pearl Harbor.

83 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 11, 2010

What a poignant post about your flashbulb memories. Yes, I have some too. My husband and I (who was my fiancee then) has JUST moved across the country 2 weeks prior and knew no one. All of a sudden, we felt like we were the only two people in the world we had, the world felt like it was crumbling down around us, we were living in a new place, and all we did for a week was watch the news. It actually still chokes me up to think about it.

Thank you for talking about this today, Angela! :)

And your eats look great of course too!

84 Liz September 11, 2010

I have lived and worked in the suburbs of NYC my entire life. In 2001, I was going into downtown Manhattan 2 -3 times per week for work. Luckily 9/11 was not one of those days as I would have been right in the thick of it. I remember everything about the day itself. We had one small radio in my office and we were all huddled around it listening to the news (in the weeks that followed we decided it was a good idea to buy a tv). We were following it on our computers until our servers went down (and stayed down for the next three weeks – they were in lower Manhattan). I remember how the airspace was shut down over the City and the only planes in the sky were fighter jets. I remember how all the highways and parkways were shut down for all but emergency responders heading into the City. I remember driving home from work and everyone was in such a daze that there were no horns honking or other street noises that you would usually find on a NY street. It was quiet. I remember being glued to the tv for hours, as was everyone else I knew. I later learned that they stopped showing some of the most grizzly images on the news in NY because it was just too hard to see. I remember how our local newspapers for weeks would profile those lost. I remember people lining up to donate blood for victims, which unfortunately was never needed.

I also remember how wonderful New Yorkers can be (a fact which non-New Yorkers often do not see). The stories from colleagues that I would hear for the next several weeks about their experiences that day. How everyone worked together. How there were more people trying to volunteer to help than could be used. So, although I do have the “flashbulb” memories of what happened that day, I also remember so much more.

85 Gail September 11, 2010

wow Liz, that’s amazing. I don’t think anyone who wasn’t there can really imagine what it was like to be there. So sad. The company I worked for created educational software for accounting, so a lot of our clients had NY offices either in the trade center or across the street. One lady in particle worked for Deloitte & Touche and she worked in one of the buildings directly across the street. I hadn’t heard from her for a few weeks, then she called our office. I asked her how she was doing, and all she said was that she was trying to get over what she had seen that day. I was at a loss for words, how do you cope with something like that. It’s so mind boggling, and even to this day I have such a hard time getting my head around something like that. I hope you are doing well.

One thing that I found very inspiring, at that same company I fielded all of the emails that came from our website. We were a global company. For the next few days (and weeks), so many emails came in from people all over the world expressing their grief and condolescenses, even though were were halfway across the country and weren’t physically affected by the attacks. It really lifted my spirits to read those emails. Also, I remember several websites had lots of slide shows, and one in particular had photos of that night and all of the candlelight vigils, not just in NY, Washington and across the country, but around the world. In a small way that was comforting to know that there are people in this world with compassion for their fellow human beings.

86 Liz September 11, 2010

Thanks Gail. I fortunately did not loose anyone that day, but so many did. The History Channel usually runs some wonderful shows on 9/11. They are hard to watch. They make me cry every year, yet I feel compelled to watch them. It may sound strange, but I don’t want to forget the details of that day. Remembering, is how I try to honor those who lost their lives and those who gave of themselves at that time. It has been pointed out that there were many first responders who were rushing into the buildings in an attempt to save people they did not know, even as everyone else was trying to get out. For weeks thereafter, people volunteered to work “the pile” looking for survivors. Many of those same people have suffered chronic health problems since then. Their selflessness is the true definition of “hero” and I want to remember that, so one day, when my children are old enough to ask questions about 9/11, and I have to tell them about how some bad men did some bad things that day, I can also tell them about all of the good men and women there are in the world.

87 Casi Leigh September 11, 2010

I don’t comment too often here because I’m a trifle shy :) but I felt the need to come out of the woodwork for just a moment to respond to this particular post. I always find myself smiling at your blog on my screen because we seem to have several funny things in common but today you truly touched a nerve. Your “flashbulb” description is, almost verbatim, the exact same as mine. I remember it so vividly which is odd because I hadn’t transitioned to dorm life very well (I was so homesick!) so those few months are a bit of a blur. I remember that day, though. I just sat in the floor of my dorm room, rocking and crying for, well, for everyone. A very old friend of mine was in the Pentagon just the day prior. It still sends a cold shudder through me just to think of it.

So, thank you for all the wonderful recipes and conversation but, today at least, thank you for always sharing so much of yourself with us. Even those of us who don’t speak up often appreciate it more than you know.

P.S. Hope your headache lifts soon! I’m a yoga instructor and I find holding the inverted poses like Downward Dog or even a headstand against a wall for a minute or two can help to alleviate head pain for me. Feel better!

88 jen September 11, 2010

i was in my ex’s car with him and my best friend. we all went to the same college so he drove us every day. we were listening to preston & steve, a local morning comedy radio talk show, and preston said “we have to stop and take a break. i was just handed a bulletin that a plane hit the world trade center in new york. this is not a joke.” they had just stopped talking about what steve should call his mother-in-law, mom, first name, etc. we immediately flipped to kyw, philly’s news station.

i was wearing a white v-neck tee and denim shorts and hippie socks with punch-buggies and flowers on them and my new sketchers. i packed a cheese sandwich with some herr’s popcorn for lunch. and that’s just the incidentals. all the moments of tv coverage, profs and students melting down, the empty streets driving home, the stillness of the world, the emergency notifactions my dad, a cop, got from the city, buying water jugs at acme, all still there too. and the weather, that beautiful weather. just like today. flashbulb for damn sure.

89 Lisa September 11, 2010

Oh man, those look sooooooo good. I just love mashed potatoes.

My memory is almost exactly like yours. I had just started college and was asleep in my dorm room at Colorado State University when my neighbor pounded down my door with news about an attack and we all gathered around the TV to figure out what was happening.

I have even stronger memories of Columbine (probably because that happened to high school kids just like me about an hour away from my high school) which always seems to surprise people.

90 Seglare September 11, 2010

It seems like quite many of us had just started university 9 years ago. I had moved away from New York just a few days earlier, to start college in Europe – I had had to change my flight for an earlier date due to changed class schedule. When I heard about the attacks, I was in a furniture shop looking for some items for my new apartment. It was my aunt who called me, asking if I’d seen the news. I didn’t have a TV or internet connection in my apartment yet (I had just moved in that day), so I heard most of the news on the radio. I knew several people working both in the World Trade Center and in Pentagon – but thankfully they were all safe. My thoughts go to those who were not, and to the rescue workers – both people and dogs – many of whom now suffer from life long health problems.

On a lighter note, I wish I had waited using up my leftover mashed potatoes today! Your potato cakes look great!! :)

91 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge September 11, 2010

I was in my senior year of high school, during morning break when I heard that 2 planes had hit the World Trade Center. At first I thought it was two small, private planes; I had no idea the magnitude of it until I watched the TV in one of the classrooms. I witnessed the 2nd tower fall and I will never forget that.

BTW, potato cakes look fantastic!

92 Anna (Literate Vegan) September 11, 2010

I remember exactly where I was – in Edinburgh, watching 24 hour news (it’s permanently on in our house) and feeling like I was watching a disaster movie. I work in human rights and international security/conflict resolution, so pretty much everything in my line of work was turned upside down at that point. It’s become such a reference point in international culture.

Sorry you’re not feeling well – I can definitely sympathise. For me, nothing works except for retiring to a darkened room with my doggie. Damn hormones! Your breakfast looks amazing though – having irish parents (though I consider myself Scottish) I think I have genetic propensity for loving all things potato. Yum! And the best comfort food.

On a different note, I’ve written before about how inspiring your story of how you changed your life around has been. I have since made some big changes – changed jobs to where I feel more valued, trying not to fret too much over my weight and concentrate instead on being strong and healthy. And today I signed up for a jewelry making course – something I always wanted to do, but felt is wasn’t ‘serious’ enough for me to be able to justify. That quote from EPL really struck a chord – why not do something for pure enjoyment! So, thanks again!

93 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy September 11, 2010

I definitely have a flashbulb moment of 9/11. I was a senior in high school and had just gotten out of French class and was walking towards the library where my next class was being held. One of my friends was telling a group of us that there was an attack on the pentagon. When we got to the library, they allowed us to turn on the television and that’s when we found out exactly what had happened. I went to a small high school so everyone in the class was pretty close and we all cried together that day. I also remember how after a couple of days, I couldn’t watch television anymore for a few weeks. It was just so, so sad.

94 tweal September 11, 2010

Great question, my flashbulb memory is similar to yours so I guess we are the same age! I had just started college for hair styling and we were in class when a teacher came in and said that a plane had just hit a building. None of us really understood until we turned on a television and saw for ourselves. And actually, that morning around 9am I was waiting for the bus to get to school and it was late, and I remember looking up at the sky and impatiently thinking “I wonder if something happened somewhere?” (to make the bus late).

p.s. Potato pancakes look soo good!

95 Stacey @ The Habit of Healthy September 11, 2010

It may be a weird breakfast, but once again you send out another fabulous recipe into the blogosphere! I was at University when I heard about 9/11. I was at home watching TV and eating a meal (although I can’t remember which one!). I just stopped eating and couldn’t believe what I was seeing – I didn’t think it was real. I never thought anything like that would ever happen. It’s a sad day. :(

96 stacey-healthylife September 11, 2010

9/11, it’s a moment to stop and remember for sure.

I was kinda worried about that breakfast at first, but you turned it into something amazing.

97 Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life September 11, 2010

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was a senior in high school, in my Government class. Our principal interrupted the news coverage that we had on our tv’s in the classrooms and said “Education must continue”, and made us turn off our tv’s. He did not get high marks that year.

98 Sportsgirl September 11, 2010

I live in New Zealand but I was actually on the phone with my friend from Boston at about 1-2am my time. He said something like he had to go cos his Mom rang and said something was happening in New York.
Next morning my mother woke me up at about 7am to say that NY was being bombed! I was like… WTH??!! The next day at university the whole of the medical school campus was glued to the TV in between our classes!

99 Heather (Heather's Dish) September 11, 2010

it was my senior year in high school and i was getting my ankles taped for morning volleyball practice when i saw the plane hit the second tower. seeing people jumping from the windows is something i will never forget.

but the way that America pulled together afterward is something i can never forget either. God bless America!

100 Kait September 11, 2010

I was in grade 5 when It happened. It was such a devastating day..I remember feeling very confused and really wanting to help in any way I could that was possible..all the way from Ontario. We prayed a lot that day, and continue to pray all day on this date every year xo

101 Sana September 11, 2010

I will never forget :(

I know you don’t eat egg- but when I fry something that needs to be glazed together I usually just glaze some egg over it.

102 Bee Goes Bananas September 11, 2010

I remember emotions better than actual events, although I do have a good memory for body. I just remember the feeling I got in the pit of my stomach when I saw all of my teachers in the library hovering around a television that was replaying the crash over and over. What an awful feeling!

103 Jeanne September 11, 2010

I can remember it exactly, it was so shocking. I was living in Colorado at the time, and ironing my outfit for that day’s work. I had Matt Lauer and Katie Couric on the air in front of me, showing over and over again a shot of the first airplane hitting the tower. They were saying that there was no reason to think it was anything but an accident. And then, as I watched and continued ironing, the second plane hit. Shocked me inside and out. I remember walking around in a fog that day thinking of my friends in Boston and hoping that none of them were flying that day. I continue to pray for those that were affected by this horrible tragedy.

104 jennifer September 12, 2010

I was a senior in high school and had the first two periods off, so I was getting ready for school. We always had the tv on low with the news on in the background in the morning, and I just happened to glance at it. I watched, perched on the arm of the couch, thinking it was a horrible accident. When the second plane hit, I yelled for my mom (who was also getting ready) to come in. We just kinda sat there watching, stunned. The magnitude of that day still has never sunk in completely.

105 jennifer September 12, 2010

PS I think it’s kinda neat that quite a few of the commenters are my age- seniors in high school on 9/11

106 Tina September 12, 2010

I was 2 months away from giving birth to my twins. I had just turned 29. I was asleep and my husband woke me up. He was very confused for a while until they said what was really going on. We were both just in shock. Now that I think about it, I was also sleeping when they announced Princess Diana had died and he woke me up for that too. It was my 25th birthday. I cried both days.

107 Kris September 12, 2010

I remember it exactly. I was starting my second day on a new job. One of our patients called in and told us the first plane had hit. The second one hit, and they started talking about the plane headed towards the Pentagon. My boss touched my back w/ a very cold hand and asked me if I needed to check in w/ DH who was a Navy captain at that time (now retired). I said he would be fine since he wasn’t stationed at the Pentagon, but remembered he said he had a meeting out of the building which usually meant going to the Pentagon. I called him and he answered right away, thank goodness. I was talking to him as the plane crashed into the Pentagon. The next day everyone going to the Pentagon was instructed to wear service dress blues to show the world we weren’t beaten and our heads were held high. I first saw the crash site two days afterward. It was heart wrenching. I will never forget there was no traffic in the DC metro area on 9/11; it just shut down. No one was on the roads. Many from DH’s community (Intel) were killed at the Pentagon. Never forget, and thanks to those who serve us so bravely!!

108 Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker September 13, 2010

Like you, I had only been at college for a few days. I was in an English class. We were reading Poe . . . and an officer came in and took a girl out of class. See, at Ithaca College — a large majority of students were from in/around NYC. This girl, we later found out, found out that her dad was trapped in the Towers during the whole thing. He didn’t make it :( I’ll seriously never forget how upsetting/confusing that day was!