Flashbulb

Good morning!

The headache still rages on. In fact, it woke me up this morning it was so bad. Not a fun way to wake up.

I decided I needed some comfort food this morning…

20100910IMG 7128 thumb   Flashbulb

Since eating leftover high protein garlic mashed potatoes for breakfast might be a bit strange, I decided to turn my leftovers into something magical with the help of leftover Veggie Chickpea Curry.

20100910IMG 7131 thumb   Flashbulb

Ok wait, eating chickpea curry in the morning is also strange. Scratch that. I’m weird.

The other day a reader commented that I should make potato cakes out of the leftovers. What a genius idea! I don’t think I have ever made potato cakes before, but I sure do love the thought of them.

I mixed my leftover mashed potatoes with the leftover curry and formed small patties.

20100910IMG 7134 thumb   Flashbulb

I had a feeling this was going to be awesome.

First I tried pan-frying them.

20100910IMG 7138 thumb   Flashbulb

I do not suggest this…they fell apart and stuck to the pan. I shed a tear but persisted onward.

20100910IMG 7138 thumb1   Flashbulb

Onto a baking sheet and into the oven they went! Luckily I saved them. ;)

20100910IMG 7143 thumb   Flashbulb

Baked for about 40 minutes.

Ohhhh yea.

20100910IMG 7168 thumb   Flashbulb

Everything But The Kitchen Sink High Protein Potato Cakes

Ingredients (just estimates):

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F and grease a baking sheet or line with parchment. Mix together and shape into small patties. Bake for about 20 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.

20100910IMG 7173 thumb   Flashbulb

These. were. amazing. I couldn’t really detect the curry at all. It just tasted like awesome crispy garlic mashed potatoes and veggies. :) The chunks of chickpeas were also wonderful to bite into.

20100910IMG 7165 thumb   Flashbulb

As I ate I read some 9/11 articles in the Globe and Mail. Nine years have passed. I have so much respect for the rescue workers and everyday people who risked their lives to help others in need. My brother Chris is a firefighter so it always feels a bit close to home reading about other’s stories.

I still remember everything about the moment when I heard about the attacks. In psychology, we call this a Flashbulb Memory. With a Flashbulb Memory, an emotionally arousing event or piece of news elicits a highly detailed, vivid snapshot of the moment. Everything about the event is illuminated and imprinted into our memory forever. Just picture one of those old flashbulb cameras going off.

I was sitting in my tiny dorm room at the University of Guelph (Lennox-Addington building!), just having started my 1st year of university only days earlier. I was at my large wooden desk sitting in my uncomfortable wooden chair, looking up some of my courses and schedules. Suddenly, my roommate ran in to tell me that there was some kind of attack that happened. We turned the TV on and watched in horror.

I will never forget that moment.

Please take a moment today to remember those that were lost and their families.

20100910IMG 7164 thumb   Flashbulb

Do you have a Flashbulb Memory for 9/11? Do you know where you were when you found out?

kellyO September 11, 2010

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the space shuttle exploded and on 9/11. Those moments are still crystal clear in my mind.

Jen S September 11, 2010

I don’t think anyone will ever forget. I was cleaning a house at the time and the owner made me stop cleaning and sit with her to watch the horrifying news. God bless all involved.

Jessie September 11, 2010

I was working at the YWCA, a summer internship, sitting at the front desk in the corner when I heard about it on the radio. CRAZY that it was 9 years ago.

Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) September 11, 2010

i was in the 5th grade when it happened, and i remember every class stopping, people coming in from recess, and parents picking up their children pretty early. i didn’t understand what was going on, but when i saw my teacher crying i knew it was horrible.

Julie Grice September 11, 2010

I remember finding out in history class…the exact room and where I was sitting, too. We ditched our regular lesson that day and spent the period watching the news.

Heidi September 11, 2010

I was a junior in college and I was getting ready for the day. I came out of my room and my roommates were glued to the tv. I can remember everything about that house; that room, who was there…like a pp said, crystal clear! My friend worked in the Pentagon and was late for work that day when the plane slammed into the building…where his OFFICE WAS! Thank god for being late. Such a sad day in our Nation’s history.

CathyK September 11, 2010

i, too, remember exactly where i was: i was working at home and a friend called and said turn on your tv, something major has happened in nyc. i think the tv remained on for the rest of the day – i was horror-shcoked. and i remember where i was when i found out princess di had been killed – out for a 20 mile run with friends, and one of them filled us in.
do hope your head improves soon, angela!

Charlie September 11, 2010

Since I was only 9 years old and living in Quebec, I didn’t even know what the world trade center was! But I do remember that I was in elementary school and that, after lunch, those who ate at home knew about it. The teacher explained what happenend to us…must have been hard for him, explaining something so horrible to 30 children.

Kelly September 11, 2010

I definitely have a flashbulb memory. I was sitting in English class my senior year of high school and they made an announcement. I had lunch next so I went to a friend’s house near my school- our eyes were glued to the TV.

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 11, 2010

BRILL breakfast!
I was 11 yrs old, and my dad picked me up from the bus stop (weird in itself as he doesn’t live with me and I don’t talk to him anymore). He told me what happened and I didn’t understand at all…it took a while to.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 11, 2010

My mom always used to do something similar with mashed potatoes.

I was in my first year of college and had just got out of the shower getting ready to go to class. I had on the news and literally saw the 2nd plane crash in real time. So scary.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers September 11, 2010

I love that there’s a name for those kind of memories- I remember writing an essay in college comparing remembering 9-11 to the Kennedy assassination- the flashbulb moment for the previous generation.

I lived right outside DC at the time- I was in Stats class when they put our school on lockdown. The eventually let us see the news, and it was horrible. I got called out of class to help be a student runner to let other students know if there parents were safe or not- I’m not sure that was a high schooler’s job. I remember my mom not wanting to let me go to work and I did anyways- I don’t think I completely understood the situation until later.

Danielle September 11, 2010

I live in NY and work about 15 mils outside of NYC. I was on my way to work, and for once I wasn’t listening to the radio, I had a CD on in the car instead. I found out when I got into work and a co-worker, whose husband worked in one of the towers, came in screaming and crying because she had just heard on the radio and couldnt get in touch with her husband (turns out he was ok!). The rest of the day is a blur. They let us go home form work, and watching news coverage became frightening yet addicting.
The next few days driving into work you could smell the smoke. And for at least a few months after, I followed every plane I saw in the sky for at least 30 seconds before I could break my gaze. I have friends who lost loved ones, friends who had to walk over bridges and across Manhattan to get out of the city. You cant help but feel for all the people affected by that day especially living so close. Hug your family today!

Tiffany (Stuffed With Fluff) September 11, 2010

I was 18 yrs old and it was one week before I moved 2 hours away for college. I woke up bright and early, excited b/c it was my bf’s birthday and I had so much planned. I went into the kitchen and my dad told me that I wasn’t allowed to drive anywhere. I threw a slight fit b/c I thought it was just my dad being strict. Then he turned me towards the tv and as I watched the replay of the planes hitting, everything changed. I felt awful for whining about something SO INSIGNIFICANT in comparison.

AGS September 11, 2010

I remember walking out of a college class where we’d been discussing the nature of conflict in international relations theory. . . and seeing everyone huddled around TVs. A couple days later, I walked from school to as close as I could get to the Pentagon with a classmate (I was in DC for school).

Also — you often add egg to potato pancakes when frying them to help them stick together (or at least something wet, like milk, to soften the mixture — otherwise it is quite crumbly). I do hope your headache clears up soon.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2010

I thought about adding a flax or chia egg but decided I just wanted no fuss and to bake them. Next time I might try it when I have a bit more patience and am not feeling so crappy!

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow September 11, 2010

I can remember everything from that day…everything from where I was, how I felt, the fear I had to the 8 hours of sitting in front of the TV with my closest girlfriends. The flashbulb moment is one of the clearest memories I will ever have.

After 9 years we always need to remember…remember how fortunate we are and remember what others have been through. Incredible.

Nicole M-H September 11, 2010

I remember I was in school, form 4. We were in the library watching the horror happen in the US. Our teacher called us in to look at it. It was unbelievable.

Lynne September 11, 2010

I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news. I was at work, sitting opposite my friend, when she said that her boyfriend had emailed that something awful had happened. I don’t think it really sank in until later, when I saw the terrible scenes on the news. I also remember exactly where I was and who I was with when I was told that Princess Diana had died.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 11, 2010

Yes I remember where I was, I actually posted about it this morning. I was in my 2nd week of college and learned bits and pieces throughout the day. Then the whole campus shut down and I went home and watched the footage over and over again.

Katie September 11, 2010

I was walking between classes in high school and just felt a weird silence/tension in the air. I glanced in a random room and the teacher had the news on and I just stood there watching, not caring about where I had to be. Like you said, it’s a bizarrely bright memory of time standing still.

Antonia September 11, 2010

I was just days away from turning eleven (and now I’m just days away from turning 20, yay!) and I was sitting on my bed thinking about the presents that I would get when my sister came into the room telling me about it. I live in Europe and up to that moment had never heard about the world trade center or the pentagon so I didn’t really understand at first. But when I heard the adults talk about it I knew it was very serious and frightening.

Another question Angela: How is your strength training going? I thought you wanted to do that more often, didn’t you?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2010

Yup…Eric and I will be starting up strength training when I get back from my trip. I will definitely post about it.

Hilary September 11, 2010

I remember it pretty clearly. I was in 7th grade and my teacher came in very worried but we wern’t allowed to turn the tvs on and see what was happening. She told us what had happened but I didn’t really understand until I went home and watched the news footage. I later found out that my teacher’s brother was very close to the towers when they collapsed, but luckily he was ok.

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 11, 2010

I was in high school, in sophomore English and our assistant headmaster came into our classroom to tell us the news. I couldn’t wrap my head around it and had an eerie feeling all day during school- a plane flew into a building? It just sounded so absurd.

Meg September 11, 2010

It was my senior year of high school, and I was walking into Honors Meteorology. The TVs were on in the classroom. When I looked up, I remember the shocked feeling seeing a plane sticking out of the World Trade Center. Then, the second plane crashed as we were watching, and I remember thinking it couldn’t be real, even as it happened before my eyes. When the plane crashed in Shanksville, PA, just an hour away from my home, I remember feeling like the world was crashing down. I will never forget those who lost their lives on 9/11, or the heroes of that day.

Rachel @ suburban yogini September 11, 2010

I can remember exactly where I was when all of the various IRA terroris attacks in the Uk happened in the 80s and 90s (and like you have huge respect for the rescue services because of this) but have no memory of where I was when I heard about the Twin Towers. My life is just divided into before I knew and after I knew.

Lizzie September 11, 2010

I was living in the UK when the Omagh bombing happened – awful. I feel like that was a wake up call for everyone, including the IRA – about just how badly there attacks were hurting families, and especially children.

Lauren September 11, 2010

Yep, I was in grade 6 and my Mom came to pick my sister and I up for lunch at school and she was so upset. She told us what was happening, although at that point, I don’t think I fully grasped the significance of it all. I just remember going back to school after lunch and feeling really scared. Our teacher sat us all down and told us what was happening. It was pretty crazy for someone my age at the time.

Kate September 11, 2010

Math class and my teacher left the room and came back to tell us about it.

Lori September 11, 2010

Oh, do I remember. My husband and I were returning from France on 9/10. He went to a conference in Washington DC and I returned to the west coast. He was in a building across the river from the Pentagon. The attendees at the conference had heard of the planes hitting the towers, turned the TV on and as they were watching the horror in NY someone noticed a plane out the window (this was a tall building). Everyone in the room went to the window and watched the plane hit the Pentagon. His journey back to the west coast was filled with planes, trains and automobiles. We both will never forget.

Gina September 11, 2010

Love the creativity of ingredients in those potato cakes! I remember being in middle school and everyone’s parents came to pick their kids up in the middle of the day. I remember wondering why everyone was leaving so early, and then I heard the news.
But I live in NYC and am so proud to say that it is still standing strong :)
Hope your headache feels better!

Viviane September 11, 2010

The oven has saved me from crumbling skillet patties so many times that now I don’t even bother anymore with the skillet anymore and put the patties straight on a baking sheet in the oven!

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I had been in class all morning at Dawson, then took the subway to pick up my car. While on my way home I distractedly turned on the radio and initially was bothered that there were people talking on every station, no music! Only when I paid attention to what they were saying did I understand what was going on.

Funny fact: my birthday was a few days after September 11 and for the occasion I had reserved for dinner at a restaurant on top of one of Montreal’s highest tower buildings downtown. Needless to say, the place was nearly empty!

Julie Boyer September 11, 2010

Great post! Have been really enjoying your blog lately. Keep it up! My thoughts on 9/11:

Christine September 11, 2010

Haha! Hey that was me!

:-)

I was in 8th grade at the time….but the teachers wouldn’t tell us anything!! It was clear from the hushed whispers, children leaving early, and phone calls in the hall that SOMETHING was wrong. Since it was a Catholic School, next thing you know we are in Church for a prayer service—but have no idea why!

I look around and see EVERYONE’S parents — except mine! Oh God, I thought something had happened to THEM. My parents were very involved in the community, and I could only imagine that there was a massive fire or car accident or something with my parents involved—the Church would certainly fill up with a prayer service for them!

Even at the prayer service they only speak in vague terms about why we are there. I don’t find out until it is over and I finally see my dad!

I live in a small town in NJ–30 miles out of the city–so we were pretty close to it, and one man in our town who worked for the port authority did lose his life that day. Last night we had our annual memorial at the High School and I couldn’t help but think—none of the High Schoolers there can probably remember this day–or at least very well.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the potato cakes–my mom would think your crazy for adding the curry! (and yes–we usually do add an egg)

Lisa @ I'm an Okie September 11, 2010

I do have a flashbulb memory of that event. I was a junior in highschool and I was home sick that day. My mom called when the first tower hit and I was still asleep. Sadly, I thought nothing of it. I figured it was an accident and I went back to sleep.

She called for the second attack. I got up at that point. I remember sitting in front of the TV watching in horror. My brother only lived a mile away from the buildings and I was scared for him. I remember feeling scared and alone because I had no one else there with me. Just watching it in silence with myself.

I have a bigger flashbulb memory with the Oklahoma City Bombing. It was in 1995, and I was in 4th grade. We heard a big boom in our class and it shook and we looked out the window and saw smoke. Timothy McVeigh blew up a Federal Building in Downtown Oklahoma City because he was upset at the government. 169 people died. Including children (these was a daycare in the building). It was horrifying because I was so young and we heard it…we saw it. I went down to the building before it was imploded and it was the sickest feeling in my life. You could sense death, feel death. It seemed so hallow. So quiet (it was standing for about 2 weeks to find all the bodies or survivors). I cried the whole time I was there. At the same time, Okalhoma City came together in a way I will never forget.

Sadly, I feel like most people have either forgot about this event. I wrote a post on it in my blog to commememorate the memorial this past April. A lot of my readers had no idea that it ever happened because they were just too young when it happened. Also, a lot of my Canadian readers never knew.

Here’s a link with more information..we need to not forget that event as well. Anytime either one of these days (9/11 or April 19th) roll around…I saw a prayer for the lost souls and families of them at both events. Both horrific events of terrorism (one domestic).

I’ll stop rambling—here’s a link about the Oklahoma City bombing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2010

I definitely remember Oklahoma City Bombing. I don’t have a flashbulb memory of it though or even knew where I was at the time in 1995. Probably because I moved around so much when I was young.

Gail September 11, 2010

I definitely have a flashbulb memory of the Oklahoma City Bombing. I was at work, and there were a lot of reports about it on the radio. It still didn’t really hit home, I thought it was something like a furnace explosion. It wasn’t until I came home that night and watched tv that the full impact of that event hit me. That was pretty traumatic and I tried to wrap my head around how anyone could do such a thing. I couldn’t imagine actually being around that when it happened. I’m sure it has affected you for the rest of your life.

Bree September 11, 2010

Totally remember. I was in an undergrad english class learning about Beowulf (gag me lol). We got conflicting reports…people were saying a plane had crashed into a mall or something. We didn’t know how serious it really was or what was going on. When I was driving home my Mom called me and told me to fill up on gas because we were going to war. :-O

Lauren @ Health on the Run September 11, 2010

Yes, I definitely remember exactly where I was and what I was feeling. I think this day 9 years ago will forever be burned into my memory. I was in my senior English class when another teacher came in and handed a piece of paper to my English teacher. As my teacher began to read from it, I remember thinking it wasn’t real — it was some sort of prank, some weird joke, or a practice emergency scenario. I could tell when it started sinking in around the room that this was actually happening, and how panicked everyone became. The worst part was that after a few minutes, the principal got on the loudspeaker and made all of us turn off the TVs. It felt so hopeless to be trapped in a room with such devastation going on outside and not being able to know what was happening (or do anything about it).

Violetta Dima September 11, 2010

I totally remember. It was my first year of high school, and I was in a social studies class. We were all speachless as we watched the events pan out on TV. It was such a tragedy, my thoughts and prayers go out to anyone who have a loved one or friend that fell victim to that fateful day.

Maissa (Run, Rant, Realize) September 11, 2010

I was in my Freshman year of high school, in San Francisco, so it was about 6:30 am and I had just gotten up to get ready for school. I turned on the morning radio show I liked and they were talking about it – I actually thought it was a joke because this radio show was known for jokes. But it seemed extreme for them so I asked my dad to look it up but before he could the school bus arrived. I got on the bus and then I knew it was true. We listened in shock all the way to school and watched the news all day instead of class. I remember when we drove home that night we had to cross the Golden Gate Bridge (my school was in Marin, I lived in San Francisco) and we were the only ones on the bridge and it was lined with security. The city itself was dead quiet.

I certainly can’t believe it has been nine years…

It also means I started high school nine years ago! How did it get SO long ago???

Camille September 11, 2010

I was in the 6th grade and I remember waking up to the radio and hearing them talking about something that I didn’t really understand. I am on the West Coast, so it happened while we were still sleeping. I remember that my little sister and I were arguing over the last of the milk and my Mom yelled at us, “How can you argue about something so small today!?”
I didn’t fully understand what was going on until they announced it over the loudspeaker at school. Until then I knew that something terrible had happened, I just didn’t know what.

Erin September 11, 2010

I lived in L/A too! Those wood chairs were awesome :P

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2010

haha I liked that they rocked but that was about it!

Karen September 11, 2010

I was at work on 9/11/01. I’m a nurse and at that time I worked in a surgical ICU. We didn’t start getting our patients out of the OR until around 11 or so, so it was a light-hearted, quiet morning in the unit. The patients who were 24hrs post-op were sitting in chairs at their bedsides and we had rolled our one TV for the unit in front of one of the patients. I’ll never forget when that news alert poped on screen. It was horrifying and I knew immediately that we would be going to war. Somehow I just knew it wasn’t an accident. I can not believe it’s been 9 years!

On the potato cake front: my parents have always made “cakes” out of leftovers. Try coating your patties in breadcrumbs (or crushed flax, cornmeal, quinoa, etc) and then pan-frying them. You have to do it on a LOW heat and be VERY patient. I wouldn’t try flipping them for a good 10-15 minutes. It sounds like a long time, but you had ‘em in the oven for 40 minutes anyway, right? Happy cooking!

Page 1 of 3123»