How To Bounce Back From A Race

Good morning!

Last night I forgot to make my planned Vegan Overnight Oats, so I threw them together this morning and I patiently waited. I distracted my growling stomach by shipping out orders and trying to fix my blog that was down.

While I worked, Sketchie got caught up on his beauty sleep (he only got 18 hours yesterday!).

20100908-IMG_2694

When he sleeps I am overcome with an urge to tickle his toes. I try to refrain myself, but it is hard. He curls them up all cute!

20100908-IMG_2695

I checked on the VOO after 35 minutes and even though it was still soupy, my stomach demanded to be fed. So soupy VOO it was. ;)

20100909-IMG_2707

I also made some GREEN banana soft serve!

20100909-IMG_2701

Avocado Soft Serve

Ingredients:

• 1 large frozen banana
  • 2 tbsp avocado
  • 1-2 tbsp almond milk

Directions: Add frozen chunks of banana and 2 tbsp fresh avocado and process in food processor. Add almond milk to speed along the process if necessary.

It is very buttery tasting. At first I wasn’t sure if I liked it, but it grew on me like most green things do.

20100909-IMG_271120100909-IMG_2712

Delish.

20100909-IMG_2713

How To Bounce Back From A Race

I ran my second 10km race on Monday and I busted my butt legs to shave 7 minutes off my PR.

20100906-IMG_2467

Afterward, my leg muscles were ready to up and leave my body. They were not impressed with me!

Specifically, my left shin was tight and pulsing with a what-the-heck-was-that ache. This was new for me because I have never had a problem with sore shins before. I suspect it had something to do with sprinting at the end. My quads also hurt as well as my hamstrings. I was tight all over! Dare I say even more tight than following my last half marathon.

Here is what I did to recover:

1) Immediately following the race, I stretched my muscles.

I think it is very important to stretch immediately following a race because if I don’t every muscle seems to clench up and get super tight and cranky. I spent about 5 minutes stretching my shins, quads, hamstrings, and Achilles.

2) After stretching, I ate.

After stretching, I had a large banana. Immediate post-race fuel is important, even for a 10k.

3) Within 1 hour of finishing the race, I ate a replenishing meal with plenty of carbs, protein, and healthy fats + H20.

20100906-IMG_2510

Even though it was only 9:30am I mowed down on a burger!

4) After my meal, I drank lots of water.

5) Next, the dreaded ice bath.

Ice baths are not fun, but they work. Period.

Here is how I rock the ice bath: I fill the tub with cold water so it just covers the tops of my legs. I get into the tub (with a sweater on! No, I’m not joking) and after getting in, I slowly pour a small bag of ice into the water a little bit at a time. I check the water temperature and aim for it to be around 55-60F. Be careful not to make it too cold, or it could damage your muscles. It should not be painful, just cold. I highly recommend wearing a sweater though. It sounds crazy, but it helps so much. I roll mine up a bit at the waist so it doesn’t get wet. :)

6) That night, I went on a light 1.5 mile walk to get the blood flowing in my legs.

I do think a bit of light activity helps the recovery process. I think the worst thing you can do is sit all day following a race (unless of course you are injured). Relaxing and kicking up your feet is necessary and well-deserved, but a bit of walking helps too.

[image source]

7) The morning after the race, I did Christine Felstead’s Yoga for Runners.

This is a 45 minute yoga DVD that is targeted specifically for runners and focuses on stretches and poses that soothe common sore & tight spots. This DVD is perfect for beginners (like me!) and moves at a good pace which is great when you are sore and your muscles aren’t moving very quickly.

I fell in love with this DVD and use it several times a week. I would highly recommend it to all the runners out there!

8.) Another light walk in the evening.

9) Two days after the race, my legs felt good enough to do a test-run.

Yesterday I headed out on the road, without a watch (I didn’t care about time only how my body felt), and I did an easy 2 mile run. A short run at an easy pace is a good way to ease your body back into your normal running routine and there is no pressure to go fast. I stretched a lot afterward.

10) Chocolate.

Need I say more? ;)

It is now Thursday and my muscles have decided to forgive me. Whew.

Do you have any muscles that tend to get sore quite easily? Do you have any weak spots or areas that are vulnerable to injury?

I would have to say my most vulnerable area is my groin area. It always seems to get tight even when my other muscles are fine. My Achilles also seem to be vulnerable. Last Fall after my second half marathon, my left Achilles was quite sore and I had to take 2 weeks off running. I think this was from all the hills along the course and also that it was very cold during the race (about 1-2C). Eric and I are hoping to get back into strength training again this Fall, so I hope to strengthen up my body again. Leg work, ab work, and arm work shall be done.

1 Jessica @ How Sweet September 9, 2010

I never thought to add avocado to banana soft serve! I get frozen avocados at TJ’s and that’s a great use for them. And I mean… if it tastes buttery, you KNOW I won’t be passing that up.

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2010

I didnt know you could even buy frozen avocados! *sigh…TJ’s come to Canada.

3 Christine @Grub, Sweat and Cheers September 9, 2010

Hear, hear…we need to start a petition.

4 OSGMOM September 9, 2010

Avocado Soft Serve — need I say more!! Looks delicious. I hope I can keep up with you during our travels. I’m working on building up my stamina ;)

5 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 9, 2010

Loving the green banana soft serve!!!
I think walking is a great help after a tough run – Even after my 15miler on sunday, I wasn’t in the least stiff the next day, cos I did an hour of walking, which helped stretch everything back out :)

6 JenATX September 9, 2010

#10 on the list, chocolate, is definitely a must!
My hamstrings get very sore, especially after working on my sprints recently. My boyfriend hates running (he thinks its pointless unless he’s chasing a basketball, soccer ball, baseball) so I have to trick him into with running “games.” We’ll be running & randomly one of us will pick a landmark to race to. Its so hard because he’s so fast and I hate to let him win! But its a good way to work on speed & get him to run with me ;)

7 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life September 9, 2010

Awesome tips! The thought of an ice bath always makes me shudder, though :)

8 Lauren September 9, 2010

This is unrelated to this post, but my Husband who is apparently a self professed diet and fitness guru has challenged my Green Monster. He swears that they are not a good source of complex carbs and protein. I generally use 4 c fresh spinach, 1/2 c almond milk, 1/2 banana, maca powder, chia seeds, 1 scoop protein powder and ice to make mine. They give me amazing energy and keep me full. But he thinks I need to ditch them.

I need help! Can you put some science behind them so I can prove to him they are nutritionally beneficial?

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2010

What specifically does he say they are missing?

10 Lauren September 9, 2010

He says they are missing complex carbs and that there are not enough carbs in general, which you need first thing in the morning according to him. He also doesn’t think they are sufficient sources of protein even though according to my calculations mine have about 30 grams or so.

He eats oatmeal most mornings and think that is the only breakfast to eat :)

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2010

They can def. be low in protein if they are vegan which is why I always add some (I love Vega choc-o-lot and AG amazing meal). Also a lot of ppl add a scoop of oats to the GM’s too…that is always an option for more carbs. :)

12 nicole @ Making Good Choices September 9, 2010

Great tips, I have to try the ice bath, especially after my first half marathon in November. You can be sure I’ll be wearing a sweater in there!

13 Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 9, 2010

That’s a great way to recover. I wish I would have taken care of myself in this same way when I was running races!

14 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 9, 2010

The idea of an ice bath terrifies me! I think the sweater might help though.
My hamstrings tend to hurt the most after a run. I rarely feel it in my quads which I think it strange.

15 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 9, 2010

Sketchie has such beautiful markings!!! Such a unique cat.

I always stretch big time after a race. I don’t like doing it, but it makes a BIG difference in how I feel afterwards!

16 Kristy September 9, 2010

I will def need to reference this post in a few weeks :-)

17 Emily September 9, 2010

I find that I get calf pain and groin pain most commonly from running. The calf pain is because I used to run on my toes too much after years of being a sprinter in track. The groin pain is usually a result cross-training with mountain biking (and being on bumpy trails). I try to do my best to stretch immediately after I run but I don’t always. These tips are great! Thanks so much :)

18 Charlie September 9, 2010

I don’t have muscles that get sore more easily, but when I stretch less or work out more, I can definitely feel it. The muscles that bother me when they are sore are my triceps since it hurts every time I move my arms. Sore legs don’t bother me as much.

Such a great idea to add avocado to the banana soft serve! How do you keep an avocado fresh after it is cut open? If I don’t eat it all, I’m not able to keep it for more than one day…

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2010

I keep the pit in the other half and put it in a small tupperware container. The pit supposedly helps keep it from browning too quick.

20 Leah @ Simply Fabulous September 9, 2010

Putting it in tupperware is key (plus keeping the pit). I also store it in the fridge. Once I put the leftover in a baggie.. totally not the same and it went brown too quickly.

21 Lungs September 9, 2010

I have found that putting plastic cling directly against the flesh (i.e., shape it around the pit or into the hole) will allow the avocado to stay green and firm in the fridge for a couple of days.

22 Roberta September 9, 2010

Rub a little lemon juice on exposed areas, leave the pit in and pop in tupperware.

23 kristy@ kristyruns.com September 9, 2010

Soupy voos are better than no voos! ;) After a marathon,I usually get a massage within 24-48 hours. That always helps! Plus it’s fun and relaxing.

24 Laura September 9, 2010

As a non-runner myself I am so blown away by everything you did for this race. So impressive.

Sketchie is GORGEOUS. What a beautiful cat, he has some really beautiful markings. And seriously, how does one ever resist touching sweet little jelly bean cat toes all curled up? I know I can’t :)

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2010

LOL I love the analogy of jelly bean toes! oh my gosh that is such a good description. I think they have the cutest little paws ever.

26 Little Bookworm September 9, 2010

Love the green softserve – it’s a lovely colour. :)

27 Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee September 9, 2010

Sketchie is such a beautiful kitty! Thanks for the great tips!

28 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 9, 2010

After a race or a long run I do what Sketchie does: SLEEP.

I think you have great tips about recovering from a race. For me, foam rolling, rest, food and water are what I need to heal!

My hamstrings get really tight after a race which is why I need to foam roll them often!

29 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 9, 2010

I really love dynamic stretching as opposed to static stretching BEFORE a run and I believe this helps me from becoming sore afterwards. Of course, I stretch after, but before is key to me. Thanks for the tips – I run my very first race ever next weekend (a 5K).

30 Marina September 9, 2010

Watching cats sleeping is always so much fun :))
My legs are so sore after one 45-min run followed next day with some toning workout. Walking helped a bit, but I’ll probably just rest for some time now. It’s better I don’t stop obsessing how I should exercise and burn calories, right

31 Chelsea September 9, 2010

Great advice on how to bounce back! My weak spots are my knees, and mostly my groin area. I had hip surgery a few months ago (the pain I felt was in my groin, but the injury was in my hip joint). I am finally slowly getting back into running, and its still sore after runs until I stretch it out really good. It’s better, but will never be 100%, so I just have to make sure I’m extra dilligent with stretching!

32 Annie@stronghealthyfit September 9, 2010

I love avocados in green monsters so I think I’d love it in banana soft serve too! Looks yummy.

33 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge September 9, 2010

Love the tips! I’ll have to look into the stretching for runner’s DVD. That seems to be my issue: stretching properly.

Probably my calves are the worst. Don’t know why, but after long runs they feel like they’re on fire.

34 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 9, 2010

Excellent tips. I guess stretching, yoga, moving and food are all very beneficial to a speedy recovery.

35 Nicole @ yuppie yogini September 9, 2010

I’m coming back from a hamstring injury and I really have to baby them. I definitely do the icing daily, use the foam roller, go to yoga, and eat post workout!

36 Mike September 9, 2010

You should do calf strengthening exercises to prevent shin splints.

37 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 9, 2010

I always tend to get sore calves or sore shins (they like to alternate). Once in awhile, my knees or my IT band (which are definitely related) will get a bit sore too. I just stretch and foam roll like crazy, and then I feel better.

38 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 9, 2010

I collect injuries. Each time I get one I learn about a new tightness or weakness I should have been stretching. It’s important to stretch the calves to prevent Achilles tendinitis and plantar fasciitis. And I also need to stretch my hamstrings really good (and roll out my IT band) to prevent worse knee pain. Now, if I don’t stretch after a workout, I can totally feel the added pain.

39 Shanna, Like Banana September 9, 2010

Your cat is beyond cute! May I have him? ;-P

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2010

only when he is being bad ;)

41 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 9, 2010

I really need to try Yoga for Runners. Since I’ve just recently started running I think it’s important to keep my muscles long and lean and hopefully help prevent any possible injuries.

42 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 9, 2010

The photos of Sketchie are unbearably adorable!

I sprained my left ankle once, and every since then it gets injured very easily. Also, my calves get sore very easily. All I can do is stretch and massage them alot.

43 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 9, 2010

I love sketchie pics! I’m such a cat fanatic!

I tend to get tight around my sciatic nerve in a spot on my lower back. I do LOTS of stretches for the area, and it really helps!

44 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 9, 2010

I love sketchie pics! I’m such a cat fanatic!

45 Heather September 9, 2010

looks delicious!

46 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 9, 2010

Awwe how cute they are when they’re sleeping! ;) I do the same thing with my cat with tickling her toes when shes sleeping. It’s precious!

47 Jessica September 9, 2010

ice baths in the summer, I can handle in just a top. In the winter, I wear a sweatshirt, a hat and also make sure to have a hot cup of tea whilst sitting in ice. i swear it helps.

48 Leanne @ Radiant Balanced & Fit September 9, 2010

Thanks for listing post race tips! I’ll be sure to use these after my 10km in a couple weeks!

49 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 9, 2010

seeing the avocado softserve in a measuring cup made my day! haha, its nice to know when ur not alone and other people find measuring cups just as appealing as bowls sometimes :D

yay, i feel like im cheering you on in the last bit of ur run, GO GIRL GO!! <3

xoxo

50 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 9, 2010

My left hip has been really vulnerable lately and seems to be hurting lately after running, and I’m getting a little worried about it. I’ve been doing a lot of stretching lately but I think my bod could certainly use a bit of yoga right about now! :)

51 Andrea September 9, 2010

I’m not a cat person, but I loveee Sketchie. He’s so unique looking! Love the race tips, too! Have you ever tried the Moji Knee? I’m wondering if I could skip the ice bath and still get the same benefits.

52 Tina September 9, 2010

It always amazes me how much thought and planning goes into races – before, during, and after. Glad you took those extra steps to feel better!

53 Heather (Heather's Dish) September 9, 2010

i think i would bounce back sketchie-style :)

54 Lisa September 9, 2010

These are great tips! I waited 7 days before trying to run again.

55 MoniMeals September 9, 2010

Hey Ang! You read my thoughts exactly. As a trainer myself, I wanted to say that strength training will help your muscle imbalances in your groin area, (with time). You are right on the money with making that a goal for you and Eric ths Fall. :) You are so on top of it for what you do(the recovery phase) after a race! Good work and I look at it lke this: “If you Fail to Plan, You Plan to Fail!” Not with you, that is for sure.
My tight spot is my quads for sure. They are sore much of the time, due to my addicition to cycing! I make sure to put the time in for recovery + rest, strecthing and the best part-getting a massage!
Note to Sketchie- I am jealous of your 17 hours of sleep! My dogs are right there with ya, they might of gotten 27 hours themselves,lol. :)

56 chelseY September 9, 2010

Thanks for the tips! I am running a half on Sunday, so I have to star this post!!

57 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 9, 2010

great tips! My shoulders and knees are prone to injury, but swimming is pretty gentle on them. I think the soupy VOO look reallly good.

58 Amber K September 9, 2010

An ice bath sounds sooo scary to me. I get super cold very easily, but this is the first time I have seen anyone mention wearing a sweater. I have never run a race, so I don’t usually feel the need for an ice bath, but it’s good to know!

59 Katherine @ Left Coast Contessa September 9, 2010

Thanks for the ice bath tips!

60 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] September 9, 2010

avocados are 5 for $1 at this local grocery store right now. i’ll have to stock up and put them in with bananas!

61 TheHealthyApron September 9, 2010

My hips get really tight, as well as my hammy’s!! I suffered hip bursitis earlier this year and found that yoga really makes it feel SO much better!

62 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 9, 2010

You have a great list of tips! I have run over a hundred races in my life, 5 & 10k’s, half marathons, a marathon, and i have never ever done the ice bath! My joints in general, knees, ankles, hips, after a long run or race, they are more tender and I baby myself for a few days and being a yoga teacher, I also LOVE to stretch stretch stretch. That’s the best for me. My hamstrings get tight if I don’t. Running shortens the muscles, yoga & stretching them lengthens them back out. Love your list! Oh and I am prone to plantar fascitis and bottom of feet pain..ugh, life of a runner!

63 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA September 9, 2010

Thanks for the good tips! I have a hip muscle that hurts a lot after prolonged exercise (I mean more than an hour or so) and it’s been years but I haven’t really figured out how to fix it. I think it’s genetic b/c my dad has the same problem. I also have plantar fasciitis which can make even walking extremely unpleasant.

64 Jessica@tastyandtrim September 9, 2010

Thank you so much for the tips! I am running my first 5k on Sunday and hope to run many more races. These recovery tips will definitely come in handy :) After running, my calves are typically the most sore part of my body.

65 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) September 9, 2010

I’m really scared about the idea of an ice bath, despite how great I know they are for you. I have yet to experience one, but I am thinking of taking the plunge after my marathon in Oct. One of my running friends told me that last year after her first marathon, she had everything set up and ready to go. She managed to get one foot into the tub before changing her mind and immediately draining it, opting for a hot shower instead. :P

66 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks September 9, 2010

Avocado Soft Serve? I think I am in love!

Good tips for recovering from a race. I am still very much a beginner in the running department, so even after my (slow) 5K I felt pretty beat up. Can’t wait until I can run a distance that actually warrants this beat up feeling! ;)

67 Leah @ Why Deprive? September 9, 2010

Those are really good tips. The ice bath sounds like it would totally suck, but really work.

Im prone to injuries in my hips and ankles, and more recently, because of my hips, my knees get sore. Basically, my body is confused and things Im 95 years old.

68 Lauren September 9, 2010

Mostly after half-marathons my knees & hips are sore. I try to incorporate icing my knees, as well as yoga (especially pigeon) to help with the hip openers. I am running my first marathon in December, so I can only imagine what will ache.

I’m using my long training runs as learning experiences to cope with soreness!

69 Jessica (Fit and Clean) September 9, 2010

Last year I ended up with a stress fracture in my hip, which stopped all running and other activities for 6 weeks! I thought I had pulled a muscle, and it didn’t hurt too bad, so I just kept on doing what I normally do. If I’m running a lot my calves get super tight…I was describing the feeling to my husband the other night as a “bubbling” feeling! Hahaha

I have The Stick which I use after I workout and that really helps with the soreness and blood flow :)

70 Melissa September 9, 2010

Good thing your had your burger after your race! The protein probably reeeaaallly helped speed up your muscle recovery. Plus it looks delicious. I’ll have to make them after my next race in October!

71 Miranda @ MirandasJeans September 9, 2010

I want to try an ice bath, I know it will be so good for my legs, but I am too chicken sh*t. lol.

I hurt my left hamstring doing a kick (with cold muscles to show off to the hubby) when I first started working out and pulled my muscle. I didn’t take care of it, and now as a result it gets pretty tight pretty easily. I do my best to stretch before and after workouts (non static stretching before) and lots of yoga to try and keep my hamstrings loose as a moose ;-)

72 Allison September 9, 2010

These are great recommendations, thank you! I also like to use epsom salt baths and fresh ginger tea (steep grated fresh ginger in boiling water for about 10 min). :-)

73 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ September 9, 2010

That’s some great ideas for recovery after a race. I wouldn’t have thought about hte walk. But your so right.

74 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 9, 2010

Did you know that I have never tried an ice bath?? Must give it a go after my next race / long run!

75 callah September 9, 2010

oh my gosh! all my lower body muscles cramp up post-run. I need to experiment with potassium-rich foods (or coconut water!) pre-run in order to prevent that after my next long run!

76 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 9, 2010

My hamstrings always get really tight. Stretching usually does the trick. I don’t think I could ever brave an ice bath though! :P

77 Kennedy @ Running After Balance September 9, 2010

Congrats on your race – 7 minutes off your best time is amazing!!
I’ve just started going to Christine’s Yoga For Runners class in Rosedale, it is really great – especially for getting rid of tight/sore muscles.
Also, just wondering… are you doing the Scotiabank half again this year?

78 Lauren September 9, 2010

My calves ALWAYS get so sore from running but I’ve been making a conscious effort to really stretch them out afterwards and it’s really helped. They haven’t been sore in 2 weeks!

By the way Sketchie is the the most beautifully marked cat I’ve ever seen!! I’m such a cat lover but sadly I live with roommates who are allergic :(

79 Bridget@PavementandPlants September 9, 2010

I love that yoga DVD!!!! I hate yoga but know how good it is for you and so I googled “runner yoga” and this popped up. It feels more like an extension of your running workout instead of the usual yoga sessions.

80 Stacy September 10, 2010

Oh my goodness your cat is gorgeous!

81 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble September 10, 2010

Yum! I love avocado after a race! Plus they are packed with potassium! Everyone always thinks bananas for potassium but I love avocado!

82 sassy molassy September 10, 2010

Wow, you really rocked that 10K! A 7 min PR is no joke! I just did a half marathon last weekend and unexpectedly took 3 min off my PR. It felt great to push it so hard. Sounds like you had a great recovery plan, especially the choc part. ;) I usually do the very same with my ice baths. I put on a sweatshirt (and roll it up so it doesn’t get wet), then add ice after I’m in. I also rock out to itunes while I’m in there so I have something else to focus on.

83 Nikki @ Balance and Moderation September 10, 2010

Question: How long do you sit in the ice bath for? I have heard so many good things about them – but no one has fully explained them until now – thank you!

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

about 10 mins!

85 Sana September 10, 2010

Chocolate cures all.
The End.

86 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn September 10, 2010

Thank you SO much!! I just had my first 5K on Sunday, and I forgot to stretch post-race (I usually stretch religiously after every workout…this was unusual!) and I was sore until Thursday. Boo!

These tips will really help me after my next race :) (even though I hate ice baths! brrr)

87 Gwyn September 14, 2010

What running watch do you use? I noticed you track your miles, etc? Thank you!

88 Amy K March 28, 2014

Sketchie is the most beautiful cat I’ve ever seen!! What type of cat is he?