You Hold The Key

Good morning!

I had a lovely 9 hour sleep last night and didn’t get myself out of bed until 8:45am. It was pure bliss. Need to rest up for my 10k race tomorrow!

I raced downstairs for this lovely breakfast that was waiting for me. How nice of that lovely girl to make me breakfast last night! ;)

20100905-IMG_2267

Raisin Pumpkin Spice Vegan Overnight Oats

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin
  • 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp Eden’s Apple Butter
  • Raisins, to garnish
  • Coconut, to garnish

Directions: In a medium sized bowl mix the oats, chia seeds, pumpkin pie spice. Now add the milk, maple syrup, and pumpkin and whisk. Place in fridge for at least 30 minutes. When ready, sprinkle with raisins and coconut. I also used some apple butter for a fun change.

I love getting in another veggie in the morning!

20100905-IMG_2259

So we went a bit crazy on Saturday…

20100904-IMG_2213

I don’t know about you, but whenever September 1st strikes Eric and I go into an organizational tailspin for about 36 hours. After a summer of fun, most of our rooms look like they have been hit by a tornado.

And then we crash and burn. Hard. Never wanting to organize so much as a desk drawer for the rest of our lives.

Over the next 363.5 days, we slowly but surely return the clutter to where it came from.

It’s the circle of life, folks.

I thought I would entertain you this morning with a few before and afters…

As you can see, the shelves were a bit cluttered and messy…(and dusty!):

20100904-IMG_2214

(That is Eric’s desk- we share the office)

This is ‘my’ side of the shelf below:

20100904-IMG_2217

Old university textbooks on top (not sure what I am keeping these for? Kindling?)

And a TV that is not in use because we don’t have cable.

Minor detail.

We like to pretend we have cable. Sometimes I turn it on and just stare at the blue screen.

My side AFTER:

20100904-IMG_2244

Boom, right?

Side by side:

20100904-IMG_2217 20100904-IMG_2244

Much better.

Then I decided to turn my boring old bulletin board into a Vision Board.

I bought some scrapbooking things at Michaels (OSGMOM will be so proud!).

Scrapbooking paper..note, girly prints.

20100904-IMG_2221

I bought several of each print because I couldn’t choose.

And now for the finished product….

20100904-IMG_2225

Unfortunately as I was making it, I didn’t step back and look at the entire board and it ended up VERY busy looking. I’m actually not that happy with it overall…

It shall now be known as the Dizzy & Bizzy Board!

I would not suggest using such a busy print like I did. ;)

20100904-IMG_2233

The ‘I’m A Quitter’ by Natalie Dee print is one of my favourite things in the world. It is an inside joke in my family that goes way back and when I came across it I knew it was special. I want to buy the t-shirt too. [I also LOVE this one too.]

20100904-IMG_2235

When I showed the board to Eric he said, ‘Umm it’s a bit busy….’ trailing off and eyes glazing over as he looked at it.

Then he added with a wink, ‘But I think it fits your personality. I wouldn’t expect it any other way or less complex looking.’

Hrmm. I have to agree. If you opened my mind and put it on paper it is probably quite dizzying! ;)

20100904-IMG_2236

20100904-IMG_2237

20100904-IMG_2238

20100904-IMG_2239

I love the ‘You Hold The Key’– this phrase is so meaningful to me. It reminds me of the quote I love from The Eagles song called ‘Already Gone’

“Well I know it wasn’t you who held me down
Heaven knows it wasn’t you who set me free
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key…”

I have the key to live the life I want to live and you hold the key to living the life you want to live. We have the power within us. Not our partner, family, friends, mentor…once we take responsibility of our own lives things start to fall into place. I firmly believe in this way of life. Realizing that I held the key to my happiness has allowed me to be where I am today.

20100904-IMG_2240

The dizzy board all together…

20100904-IMG_2231

The Vision Board made Sketchie dizzy too…

20100904-IMG_2245

A comparison:

20100827-IMG_6994

20100904-IMG_2247

20100827-IMG_6994 20100904-IMG_2247

I must say things are looking up.

I decorated the red magazine holder (far left) with floral scrapbooking paper. It added a fun & girly touch!

20100904-IMG_2250

The yellow basket on my desk holds my favourite cookbooks and yellow basket on the shelf holds my health books!

20100904-IMG_2254

Eric’s side is looking great too! He packed up a ton of DVD’s and is donating them.

20100904-IMG_2255

We bought all the baskets you see above from an awesome organizational store called Solutions. How I didn’t know this store existed until last month is beyond me. It is my DREAM store.

Today’s goal: Organize this shelf and expand my business file box from one box to two. gulp.

20100904-IMG_2219

Does September 1st inspire you to start organizing your space? Will you be going back to school or starting something new this September?

Even though I am no longer a ‘professional student’ (as my family used to joke when I was in university for 7 long years!), I still get that back-to-school feeling every September, along with the urge for a fresh start. This is one of my favourite times of the year.

See you tonight for lentil walnut burgers!

1 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 5, 2010

Sept makes me feel the need to organise for sure! I jsut chucked my old dead computer to reclaim some desk space :)
I LOVE your board, and what you said about the key- I agree with that 100%. We have a choice to live the life we want!

2 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 5, 2010

OH! Sketchie looks so amazingly stunning in that picture!!

3 Sarah (turning point) September 5, 2010

My major cleaning urges are random and spread throughout the year, and your post just triggered another one! Haha! As soon as we get home from our Labor Day holiday I am attacking our desk and closet! Now I can’t stop thinking about them…. hahaha.

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 5, 2010

I’m the same way, once I get on a kick I can’t stop until it is done!

5 Lizzie September 5, 2010

Not starting anything new, but definitely wanting to feel more organised! A contractor is coming to rip out our old cabinets next weekend – so having no kitchen and still making meals is my focus this month. It’ll be a good excuse to really clean out and be organised!!

6 tasha - the clean eating mama September 5, 2010

I love the Vision Board! What a fantastic idea!

7 Melanie@idreamoftahini September 5, 2010

Your cat is so beautiful and exotic looking!! Love the vision board!

8 lynn September 5, 2010

oh i’m an organize freak with a twist… not only do i love to organize but i get more excited about the containers, boxes, packages and kits that hold the items to store… seriously i think it is a genetic disorder… I can’t throw out clear containers with attached lids as they are great for storeing my scrapbooking goodies in… i keep all the clear plastic containers that fruits and things come in and i store (and label of course) my dried food items. you can look in my closet at any given time and find these “treasures” (empty and just waiting to “come in handy one day”). I think that is why i love scrapbooking so much… there’s always organizing involved!! my husband is aware of this disorder and just shakes his head… i mean i save the little ribbons that are on packages, or the ones that are on new tops you know for hanging your top… pretty ribbon… can use that in card making dontcha know!!! so yes i am aware of this disfunction and do a major clean out a couple of times of year… i have a good little cry as i send my unused treasures to the recylcle bin… sniff sniff.. makes me sad just thinking of it… but seriously… my house it tidy and organized and there are no visible signs of my disorder to the outside world…. mwa ha haaaaaaaaaaa

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 5, 2010

Looks great! I was working on my vision board yesterday as well and it’s almost done but I have a little bit more to do today. I also love your office re-vamp. The fact that it’s September has also encouraged me to want to organize every room in my house, and I’m proud to say that it’s definitely getting there! Still lots to do but I’m planning to get back at it today! Thanks for the added inspiration and GOOD LUCK tomorrow!! :)

10 MoniMeals September 5, 2010

Boom and Boom! You have offically motivated me to get my office in tip-top shape! Great vision board too. Gotta have on. :)

11 Bridget September 5, 2010

First and foremost, I’m glad your blog is back up and running. I was a little worried when it wasn’t working this morning. All is good now :)

I’m entering my third year of university so I’ve got to stay organized. I promise myself every time this year that I will keep things clean and in order, and write down all my deadlines and due dates, but somehow it never turns out that way :( This year it will happen!!!! It must!

12 Patty September 5, 2010

Love the vision board. I always feel the desire to organize in the Fall too. Storables is one of my favorite stores!

13 Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit September 5, 2010

September never inspires me to clean – it’s always spring and summer! Although this year I am going back to school for my Masters of Public Affairs so I’ve been doing a lot of purging.

14 Nicole September 5, 2010

The inspiration board is a truly great idea- I really need to make one!

I’m so bad at organization, but maybe I should use the beginning of the month as an excuse to push motivation on myself!

15 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 5, 2010

I love organizing stuff! I’m going to be heading back to school pretty soon, so I’ve had to start getting all of the boxes from the basement and start sorting them. So my room is an absolute mess right now. It drives me crazy. haha.

16 Jasmine@EMW September 5, 2010

I’m so inspired now! I need to go cleaning something, do a vision board, and open a bakery.
Okay, I’m kidding about one of those things. :p

17 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 5, 2010

September 1st never inspires me to clean…but this post does! Cluttered space = cluttered mind. I have my work cut out for me! ;)

Mmmm…excited to hear about these lentil burgers!

18 Valerie September 5, 2010

Your desk space looks amazing! This inspires me to get my apartment into tip top shape when I get back to school on Tuesday : ) What a great job. I love your collage! I love making those, but I haven’t put one together in almost a year now.

If not the fact that it’s the beginning of September, THIS blog post and those photos are definitely enough inspiration for me to get to work on my place. I love organization and getting containers, so this will be fun!

Great job!

19 Chase @ The Chase Project September 5, 2010

Lookin’ good, girlie! I get the urge to clean / reorganize in the spring! Something about that spring cleaning gets me motivated!

20 elyssa September 5, 2010

i’m going back for my 7th and last year as a ‘professional student’ lol. for me, this fall is about relishing those back to school tasks for the last time. in the movie ‘youve got mail’, tom hanks tells meg ryan ‘if i knew your name and address, i’d buy you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils’. love that quote!

21 joslyn @ missfitbliss September 5, 2010

Wow I love the vision board! I’m a busy body so it fits my personality too. I’m in the midst of cleaning up my office too – but it’s taking me a lot longer than 36 hours to finish;)

22 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 5, 2010

I’m somewhat drawn to your busy vision board! What an improvement to your space. Organizing is one of my LEAST favorite activities, but I feel SO good once it’s complete. :-)

23 Emily September 5, 2010

I have to tell you – despite all the rave reviews I’ve heard, I have been a little apprehensive about trying a Green Monster smoothie. I mean, spinach for breakfast?! This morning, though, I did it… And I know I’m already hooked – OMG delicious! Thanks for the great ideas and constant inspiration.

24 holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 5, 2010

I’m the same way! If I start cleaning it looks horredous for a few hours (stuff everywhere) but then when I am finished it looks beautiful!

I like your dizzy board — the print is busy but what you have on there looks clean and sharp — I wouldn’t change it at all!

25 Laura September 5, 2010

Looks lovely now it’s all organised! My parents joked that I was a professional student too, sadly I’m no longer a professional student!

26 Jaya September 5, 2010

I only wish that my urges to clean could be as well-timed as yours! Mine are usually bundled in with procrastibaking and everything that suddenly seems to jump a priority level (alphabetizing my textbooks, shining up all of the reflective surfaces in our house, collecting up stuff for Goodwill) when I have a major deadline in sight! Like Lynn, I am soo into boxes and containers. I have more boxes than I do things to put in them! Your room looks wonderful!

27 Amber K September 5, 2010

I get the cleaning fever completely randomly. Never at a specific time of year. I actually really like the board, although I probably would get dizzy looking at it after awhile!

28 Sarah for Real September 5, 2010

I went mad and started renovating my kitchen! September always makes me want big change.

29 Camille September 5, 2010

We just moved last week, so we are in full organization mode right now!
There is nothing like a new apartment where everything is clean and in its place :)

30 Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place September 5, 2010

You have inspired me to clean up my mess of an office! I feel so much better without the clutter.

31 Gina September 5, 2010

My husband and I are getting ready to move back to our home state of Indiana from Portland, OR. Moving is always an awesome time to purge and start over fresh. We have been apartment or dorm living for the past 6 years so we are very anxious to move into our first home!

32 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 5, 2010

The vision board is so cute. What a great idea. I love the overnight oats!

33 Marissa September 5, 2010

The organization bug bites me every June as I am a teacher and don’t work from June-August. I take almost the entire month of June to organize my life, and our home. It’s wonderful! I always feel like a new woman once everything is nice & organized!!

34 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 5, 2010

This post makes me excited to get back to my apartment at school and organize my desk space! I love buying lots of cute bins and note organizers.

35 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl September 5, 2010

I get into a clean kick about once a year…usually before someone is coming to stay at my house! After they leave, it’s a slow buildup back to a mess until the next person is set to come stay!

My husband jokes that he should invite someone to come visit about once a month just to keep it consistent! :)

36 Nanna September 5, 2010

Hello Angela
I have been looking around on your blog to try to find some sort of guide to the specialty products you use in your cooking – but i can’t find any.. So that is my suggestion for a new post :)
I would like to know more about the health benefits and uses of products such as chia-seeds, carob-powder, wheatgrass and so on.. Or maybe there’s a site you would recommend for that type of info?

Sorry – this doesn’t have anything to do with home-organizing, I just saw my chance and grabbed it ;)

Love your blog btw
Nanna from Denmark

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010

Hi Nanna,

I have done lots of posts on these in the past year or two, but I do think it would be fun to have them all together in one spot! Something to think about for sure! :)

38 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 5, 2010

I loooove that quote. So powerful.

And wow does your desk look so great!!! Night and day haha

39 Jillian@ ReshapeYourLife September 5, 2010

The office looks so nice! I am terrible at ACTUALLY organizing… Right now I’m making my way through each room in the house but my “workout room/office” is more like a dumping ground for all of the clutter from the other rooms. Doh!

40 Julie @SavvyEats September 5, 2010

We weren’t bit by the organization bug when September hit, but I attribute that largely to the fact that we were hit by the organization bug in July when we couldn’t stand all the moving boxes, etc anymore!

Added to my to-do list: make vision board. But maybe not a Dizzy and Bizzy one ;)

41 Peggy September 5, 2010

I’m going to try that recipe! My overnight oats have been mostly the same for a few months with only a few minor variations. Which is good – I like them – but this looks like a nice change too. And I just happen to have some pumpkin in the freezer. I’ll have to get some Eden’s though. I keep meaning to because it is so amazingly delicious that I could eat a whole jar with a spoon but I forget every time I’m at the store.

42 Sana September 5, 2010

I am pretty sure I will be a student forever, so I buy a new planner every Sept and write my life down.

I don’t think the board is too dizzy, the parts that are most meaningful to you seem to pop right out :)!

43 Nikkie @ Little Nikkie, Big City September 5, 2010

Your overnight oats always look amazing! This was a great post, but my favorite part was the Eagles quote and your bit after it. When I lost my Mom in December to cancer I had that moment of clarity..Beyond coming to terms with the fact that life is not to be taken lightly, not to just be loafed away, I finally realized that life is what YOU make it and that I had the power to create the life I’d always wanted for myself.. so I did! I applied to art school, got in, and moved to Chicago on September 1st (just a few days ago!). I’m beyond happy with the choices I’ve made since losing my Mom. For once in my life I made decisions based on what was best for ME, and did what was necessary for my own satisfaction and fulfillment.

I just adore that song snippet, thank you for posting it!

44 Claire @ Low Impact Fashionista September 5, 2010

I LOVE the dizzy bizzy board- I always get over excited and my cute scrapbooking projects turn into jumbles of patterns :) My favorite part of your board is the “I hold the key” quote. I totally agree that you and only you can take charge of your life.

Thanks for the inspiration I’m off to organize…

45 Annie@stronghealthyfit September 5, 2010

Organization makes me feel SO much better. I’m the same as you, though- I let it go for awhile because the actual process is kind of tedious :-)
I love lentil walnut burgers!

46 Beth (Blessed and Inspired) September 5, 2010

Yes!! September 1 was nice and cool here, and I was also inclined to start organizing our place!

47 Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee September 5, 2010

I love the vision board. I hope you have fun in your 10k tomorrow!

48 Devon September 5, 2010

Angela, with this post you helped answer a personal question I was praying about today. Thank you so much!!

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010

Im glad to hear this!

50 christina cadden September 5, 2010

Looks great! Can you come do my place next!!!

51 MB September 5, 2010

Great job on the organization project. September always feels like the start of the new year more than January to me. Love the vision board. Maybe you could add a few more pictures so the background wouldn’t seem so busy. Enjoy the crisp fall air.

52 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 5, 2010

It must be something about spring and fall… I went on a major cleaning bender today too! Purged a ton of stuff.

53 Danielle @ crispandverdant - Every Day is Fresh September 5, 2010

The vision board: what a beautiful piece of personalized art …

Oh, and by the way: after reading about your various flavors of overnight oats, I have decided that you should open a breakfast shop that features the full menu of flavors :)

54 Heather (Heather's Dish) September 5, 2010

i really want/need to reorganize SO badly! thank goodness for Labor Day being tomorrow with plenty of time to get started on it!

55 Elli @ 16 and Losing It September 5, 2010

My cleaning sprees aren’t really seasonal I just get the cleaning bug and I just go. I pull out everything and throw stuff away and pull out stuff to give awya and just CLEAN! It always feels so good, but I just have to wait for it to hit me I can’t force it.

56 Neen@Broad Bean to Runner Bean September 5, 2010

well done on the organising – everything looks great!

57 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition September 5, 2010

I love inspiration boards! It’s great to look at something that will always give you positive vibes : )

58 maria @ Chasing the Now September 5, 2010

I love that Eagles song. It’s my favorite one of theirs… well, I also like Desperado.

Apparently the organizing bug is biting quite a few people. My husband decided to organize our downstairs closet yesterday.

59 Wei-Wei September 5, 2010

I started school about two or three weeks ago, so my new beginning was quite early. Your inspiration board is certainly very busy, but I really really love the idea. I actually think one of my weekend tasks will be to clean out my entire study, throw out what needs to be thrown out, and redecorate a little. ;)

60 Heather September 5, 2010

looks great! isn’t it funny how you clean things then they creep up on you and get messy again? lol!

61 Jessica@tastyandtrim September 5, 2010

I love your board! I want to make an inspiring board like that :) September marks the month in which I run my first race – a 5K in one week!

62 Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly September 5, 2010

Hahaha, I love the spring cleaning just before fall begins! I’m absolutely going to just keep pushing mine off for as long as possible. :-p

63 Heather McClees September 5, 2010

Oh I can’t WAIT to try this in the morning ! I don’t have any apple butter but will definitely be ordering some soon thanks to this post’s inspiration. I love buying fresh organic apple butter from local farms here in SC. Have a great day! PS- I just posted a lovely new muffin recipe! You’ll love it!

64 Mallory @ Untie the Ribbons September 6, 2010

I’m so glad to hear it’s not just me! I’ve been on an organizing kick this weekend. Part of it is that my guy has been gone all summer and will return home in a week, so now I have been on a cleaning/organizing frenzy. It’s not like he will care either way, but it gives me something to do with my all my excited energy.

65 Sava September 6, 2010

This September, it’s back to school with me!
Another year of trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. (Second year in college, so I probably should have decided by now. Whoops.)

I love the vision board! or dizzy board! :)
And whenever I read posts in which you include your breakfast I always get a HUGE craving for oatmeal @.@

66 Mac September 6, 2010

Looks like you guys got after it! I love organizing stuff anytime of the year, but I do go in streaks and have MAJOR organizing days versus doing it as life comes… that would be to easy to keep things organized and it come ;)

67 Jenn @ Lean Body Pilates September 6, 2010

Is your cat, Sketchie, a Bengal?? My husband and I have a Silver Marble Bengal named Charlie. He is the love of our lives!

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010

Yes Sketchie is a Bengal! :)