Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

Good morning!

There is nothing I enjoy more than going on a shopping spree at Bonnie Togs.

20100827-IMG_7092

I love, love, love shopping for kids clothing. It is honestly one of my great joys. The clothes are just so cute! I could stay in the stores for hours looking at all the cute dresses and itsy-bitsy shoes.

20100827-IMG_7094

I hope my niece and nephew like them!

Look what our CSA brought us this week…

20100827-IMG_6947

Grapes!

Well, that is what the CSA (Plan B Farm) called them, but to me I would expect they are a certain variety of grapes?? Surely, they can’t just be called plain old grapes, can they…?

They are delicious, sweet, and juicy.

20100827-IMG_6952

And then I did the unthinkable.

20100827-IMG_6957

I baked with them.

I know, I know, first avocado, now grapes.

I figure there is a first for everything in my kitchen.

They actually taste and look like blueberries, so I figured they could be a good substitution in a breakfast cobbler…

20100827-IMG_7007

Grape, Banana, & Apple Cobbler

This was my first shot at making a cobbler without a recipe and I was pretty happy with it. The end result was a very chewy and moist cobbler- this isn’t a crisp if that is what you are looking for. If you want to make it crispier, you might want to use more Sucanat and less maple syrup, just as an idea. Have fun with the recipe and don’t be afraid to play around with different add-ins!

Ingredients:

• 2 cups regular oats
  • 2 tbsp flour (I used spelt)
  • 1 cup blueberries or grapes
  • 1/4 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled and chopped
  • 1 apple, peeled and chopped
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp fresh lemon

Directions: In a large bowl add the chopped apple, banana, grapes, oats, flour, sea salt, cinnamon, and Sucanat. In a medium sized bowl mix the slightly melted Earth balance, lemon, and maple syrup. Add wet to dry and mix well. Place in a casserole dish and bake at 350F for 70 minutes. Note: Next time I would bake at a higher temperature so it wouldn’t take as long…probably 400F for 50 minutes? Watch it carefully to avoid burning. Serve hot or cold. Top with your favourite nut butter!

The soy-free Earth Balance I use…

20100827-IMG_6960 20100827-IMG_6961

A few weeks ago, I did a blind taste test on Eric using Earth Balance and his regular margarine on toast. He pointed to the toast and said with much confidence, ‘This one is MUCH better, it has to be my margarine.’ and I grinned and told him it was Earth Balance and he has been enjoying it ever since!

It works great in baked goods too.

20100827-IMG_6964

Whisk the maple syrup and Earth Balance until they are one.

20100827-IMG_6967

Squirt some fresh lemon…

20100827-IMG_6970 20100827-IMG_6971

Just a tiny squirt…no more than 1/2 tsp or the lemon will overwhelm the dish.

20100827-IMG_6978

I’m sure you can find a way to use up the rest of the lemon. :) Spike some water…or a margarita…

I made a much needed batch of lemon sugar scrub. Love that stuff! Dare I say it is my favourite face scrub ever?

Chopped apple, grapes, banana, oats, Sucanat, cinnamon, flour, and sea salt!

20100827-IMG_6980

Mixed up:

20100827-IMG_6981

Dressed up:

20100827-IMG_6987

I saw something green in the mix and I realized it was the inside of a grape!

20100827-IMG_6988

Whew.

20100827-IMG_6989

into a casserole dish…

20100827-IMG_6991

And baked for 70 minutes at 350F. Next time, I would bake it at a higher heat to speed up the process. The cobbler doesn’t get very hard, but it remains quite soft and chewy almost like overnight oats.

20100827-IMG_7009

While this was baking I hit the road for a glorious run in some glorious sunny and crisp weather. I had two medjool dates and some tea before I left. I decided to run a 10k today.

dfdf

The run was pretty uneventful except for seeing 3 pheasants cross the road in front of me!! They are so funny to watch. My 10k (6.2 mi) time was 53:55 mins. and then I ran another 0.2 miles to get home. The hills were killing me during the last mile!

When I got home I tried the cobbler right out of the oven and it was quite good, but I suspected I would like it even better cold, so I threw it in the fridge while I showered and did Polly’s Yoga for Runners.

It was delicious cold and it got all clumped up in big chunks. Mmmmm.

20100828-IMG_7097

I spooned some TJ’s Sunflower Seed Butter on top. Man oh man was this heaven in a cup!!

20100828-IMG_7098

To my delight, the grapes tasted really good in this. Very refreshing and juicy. I’m not sure if ‘regular grapes’ would work in this, but these ones sure did.

20100828-IMG_7099

20100828-IMG_7101

I’m off to do a bit of cleaning, make a chocolate sauce for the brownies, and then pack for our weekend getaway. I will do my best to get a post up tonight. Have a great start to your weekend! :)

Page 2 of 2«12
Amykinz September 15, 2010

Angela, you are far too modest about this breakfast cobbler recipe! It is out of this world! Even my kids gobbled it up!!! I was out of bananas, so I substituted watermelon and it turned out amazing. I also used whole wheat flour, because that’s all I had on hand. At any rate, I would run for this cobbler, too! And will be making it more often. ;) Thanks for your great and nummy inventions.

Kate August 29, 2010

I saw those grapes are two markets today…one referred to them as concord and the other as “ontario bluegrapes”…which I think is another way of saying concord

Mary @ Fervent Foodie August 29, 2010

Baking with grapes? What a great idea!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 29, 2010

it’s only fun to shop for kids clothes if they’re not your kids. if they’re your kids you just get pissed on how expensive clothes are to buy and how quickly they grow out of them

Ryan August 29, 2010

The cobbler looks amazing. I definitely have to try that.

I have been meaning to ask for a while now… When you do your long runs, are you on a continuous free running path or are you on the street to encounter stop signs/stop lights? I have a hard time keeping my body at a consistent pace when I have to stop and jump around before a crosswalk every couple of minutes.

rachel August 29, 2010

you are amazing with all that running!
those grapes are beautiful, they really do look like big blueberries. the cobbler looks delicious.
my hubby likes earth balance too, yay for converting the mens ;)
and baby/kid clothes are adorable. i love my daughter’s outfits, i wish they made them in adult size so i could wear them too hehe.

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl August 29, 2010

I probably would have had a momentary flipout over the green thing too!

The cobbler looks amazing! Never tried to bake with grapes, but I’ll have to give it a try now!

Jean@RoastedRootsPumpkinSpice August 29, 2010

Delicious looking cobbler!

Those grapes actually look like the grapes I used to eat in Korea. They are much sweeter and juicier, and they are rounder than regular grapes. Never baked with them though! That’s something I need to try :)

faith @ gracefulfitness August 29, 2010

Excellent idea on the grape cobbler! I made fresh grape juice a few days ago and it was amazing, nothing like fresh grapes. I will try the cobbler this week. How were the seeds?

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear August 29, 2010

I love shopping for kid’s clothes too, they’re so cute :D

rosi August 29, 2010

very creative but i think i’m too chicken to bake grapes lol. it looks awesome though

Jessica@tastyandtrim August 28, 2010

That cobbler looks absolutely amazing! I love recipes that are both sweet and tasty but healthy as well! I can’t wait to try this one out :)

Emilyeatsclean August 28, 2010

Thanks for sharing your cobbler recipe….it sounds great!! I’ve bookmarked it! :)

Kristen August 28, 2010

That cobbler looks really yummy. I’ve never tried any baked food with grapes in it. I’ll have to try it sometime.

jacquelynn August 28, 2010

Hey Angela! I am a HUGE fan of your blog… I just started my own glowvegglow.blogspot.com. Do you care if I mention some of your stuff? I will attach your links and give you all the credit, but you have been a life-changing inspiration to me, and I want to spread the word!

xoxo,
Jacquelynn

alexa @ Sohdalex August 28, 2010

Those grapes looks magical!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 28, 2010

For shame! those kind of grapes never make it into ANYTHING since they get gobbled up by me immediately.

Cara August 28, 2010

I am a huge fan of any sort of crispy/cobblery dessert!
Those grapes are so flavorful, eh? They pack an extra punch compared to other grape varieties. I love them.

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle August 28, 2010

omg that cobbler is mouthwatering! Especially with that Sunflower butter on it!!!

Tanya @ Life with the Kummerows August 28, 2010

Maybe they are the same as what Kath bought:

Heather August 28, 2010

grapes!?!?!?! unthinkable indeed! it looks amazing though…and you’re right about them looking like blueberries. that’s what i thought they were at first!

eatmovelove August 28, 2010

Oh my , that really looks good.

It’s the dollop of nut butter on top that does it for me.

I’ve seen those Grapes around lately, at the Market as well – I thought they were blueberries! Weird…the girl said they don’t taste like, but they don’t taste like ‘bloobs either….lol – are they good?

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 28, 2010

Who would have thought that green gel-grape would have come out of a dark blue grape like that?! Would have scared me too! haha:)

Jenny August 28, 2010

I have never baked with grapes before! But I am addicted to them, must try NOW!:)

Caitlin (EatFeats) August 28, 2010

Oh we have grapes that look like that at my house! They are yummy.

I love kids clothing. It is so much more adorable (hello heart pockets on jeans) and so much more affordable than adult clothing.

Dominique August 28, 2010

PS: Where did you get your soy-free Earth Balance? I haven’t been able to find it at the grocery stores that carry the regular EB yet.

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 28, 2010

Looks fantastic. I love how your recipes are never too complex or have too many ingredients.

What camera do you have??????

Dominique August 28, 2010

We used to have a concord grapevine just by the side of our house. It was transplanted from our old house…the one I grew up in until I was 8. My parents got rid of it just as they started construction on a driveway/patio/pond combo this summer. (It’s still not done.) I was never really a huge fan of concord grapes but the BF picked up a bunch from Longo’s recently and I had a bunch and they were really good–reminded me of Welch’s grape juice and of my childhood at the same time.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 28, 2010

I’ve seen those grapes at my grocery store but never tried them. I’m curious to see what they taste like!

Chelsea at Striking Balance August 28, 2010

Yum that cobbler looks great. Never woulda thought to use grapes in baking, but those don’t look like any ordinary grape! Glad you had a good run too!

GFree_Miel August 28, 2010

That looks delicious! I’ve never had anything baked with grapes before but it sounds good! And those photographs with the smothering sunflower seed butter…ahhhhh, I’m so hungry now. It looks so good!

hippierunner August 28, 2010

Wow-never would have thought to bake with grapes. I love grapes best when frozen!

Sana August 28, 2010

You have having some speedy runs, yay!! And finally some uneventful runs- no drama during runs us always a good thing!!

Jenny August 28, 2010

those are the only grapes that i see in korea! i never saw seedless grapes until i came to canada

Jess-The Semi Abnormal Gal September 6, 2010

I agree with Jenny, those look like Korean grapes….I just had them for the first time this season, and I ate them like candy! They tasted like blueberries to me, minus the texture of bloobs. I was advised by the Korean grocery my friends got them from not the eat the skin, but you survived obviously, so maybe he was overly cautious?

Michele August 28, 2010

OH how amazing! I do know that concord grapes and korean grapes are fairly similiar, however, the korean ones are a tad bit larger & more succulent.. well maybe that comes from growing up with them all my life!

The seasonal use of your grapes is so on spot because its right in season! My mother bought two huge boxes of the grapes… and yes.. we do eat them all ^^
I love your experimental nature with food! I will make this soon, thank youuuu~

Veggielady4life August 28, 2010

I buy Earth Balance, too, but I have never bought the soy-free kind! Good to know it’s available!