Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

Good morning!

There is nothing I enjoy more than going on a shopping spree at Bonnie Togs.

20100827-IMG_7092

I love, love, love shopping for kids clothing. It is honestly one of my great joys. The clothes are just so cute! I could stay in the stores for hours looking at all the cute dresses and itsy-bitsy shoes.

20100827-IMG_7094

I hope my niece and nephew like them!

Look what our CSA brought us this week…

20100827-IMG_6947

Grapes!

Well, that is what the CSA (Plan B Farm) called them, but to me I would expect they are a certain variety of grapes?? Surely, they can’t just be called plain old grapes, can they…?

They are delicious, sweet, and juicy.

20100827-IMG_6952

And then I did the unthinkable.

20100827-IMG_6957

I baked with them.

I know, I know, first avocado, now grapes.

I figure there is a first for everything in my kitchen.

They actually taste and look like blueberries, so I figured they could be a good substitution in a breakfast cobbler…

20100827-IMG_7007

Grape, Banana, & Apple Cobbler

This was my first shot at making a cobbler without a recipe and I was pretty happy with it. The end result was a very chewy and moist cobbler- this isn’t a crisp if that is what you are looking for. If you want to make it crispier, you might want to use more Sucanat and less maple syrup, just as an idea. Have fun with the recipe and don’t be afraid to play around with different add-ins!

Ingredients:

• 2 cups regular oats
  • 2 tbsp flour (I used spelt)
  • 1 cup blueberries or grapes
  • 1/4 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled and chopped
  • 1 apple, peeled and chopped
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp fresh lemon

Directions: In a large bowl add the chopped apple, banana, grapes, oats, flour, sea salt, cinnamon, and Sucanat. In a medium sized bowl mix the slightly melted Earth balance, lemon, and maple syrup. Add wet to dry and mix well. Place in a casserole dish and bake at 350F for 70 minutes. Note: Next time I would bake at a higher temperature so it wouldn’t take as long…probably 400F for 50 minutes? Watch it carefully to avoid burning. Serve hot or cold. Top with your favourite nut butter!

The soy-free Earth Balance I use…

20100827-IMG_6960 20100827-IMG_6961

A few weeks ago, I did a blind taste test on Eric using Earth Balance and his regular margarine on toast. He pointed to the toast and said with much confidence, ‘This one is MUCH better, it has to be my margarine.’ and I grinned and told him it was Earth Balance and he has been enjoying it ever since!

It works great in baked goods too.

20100827-IMG_6964

Whisk the maple syrup and Earth Balance until they are one.

20100827-IMG_6967

Squirt some fresh lemon…

20100827-IMG_6970 20100827-IMG_6971

Just a tiny squirt…no more than 1/2 tsp or the lemon will overwhelm the dish.

20100827-IMG_6978

I’m sure you can find a way to use up the rest of the lemon. :) Spike some water…or a margarita…

I made a much needed batch of lemon sugar scrub. Love that stuff! Dare I say it is my favourite face scrub ever?

Chopped apple, grapes, banana, oats, Sucanat, cinnamon, flour, and sea salt!

20100827-IMG_6980

Mixed up:

20100827-IMG_6981

Dressed up:

20100827-IMG_6987

I saw something green in the mix and I realized it was the inside of a grape!

20100827-IMG_6988

Whew.

20100827-IMG_6989

into a casserole dish…

20100827-IMG_6991

And baked for 70 minutes at 350F. Next time, I would bake it at a higher heat to speed up the process. The cobbler doesn’t get very hard, but it remains quite soft and chewy almost like overnight oats.

20100827-IMG_7009

While this was baking I hit the road for a glorious run in some glorious sunny and crisp weather. I had two medjool dates and some tea before I left. I decided to run a 10k today.

dfdf

The run was pretty uneventful except for seeing 3 pheasants cross the road in front of me!! They are so funny to watch. My 10k (6.2 mi) time was 53:55 mins. and then I ran another 0.2 miles to get home. The hills were killing me during the last mile!

When I got home I tried the cobbler right out of the oven and it was quite good, but I suspected I would like it even better cold, so I threw it in the fridge while I showered and did Polly’s Yoga for Runners.

It was delicious cold and it got all clumped up in big chunks. Mmmmm.

20100828-IMG_7097

I spooned some TJ’s Sunflower Seed Butter on top. Man oh man was this heaven in a cup!!

20100828-IMG_7098

To my delight, the grapes tasted really good in this. Very refreshing and juicy. I’m not sure if ‘regular grapes’ would work in this, but these ones sure did.

20100828-IMG_7099

20100828-IMG_7101

I’m off to do a bit of cleaning, make a chocolate sauce for the brownies, and then pack for our weekend getaway. I will do my best to get a post up tonight. Have a great start to your weekend! :)

1 Steph (@mediterraneanmiss) August 28, 2010

Those baby clothes are adorable! My mom and I went into a baby burberry store and were swooning over the little hats and scarves there. Two of my cousins are pregnant right now and I can’t wait to start buying presents for their babies!

Grapes are definitely my favorite food ever. What an interesting way of incorporating them!! Looks yummy, and I think that I’d like them cold, too.

Have a beautiful weekend!
x

2 Mandy A August 28, 2010

Shopping for clothes for my 4 year old daughter is almost more fun than shopping for myself ;) I love finding cute stuff for her! I think your niece and nephew will love your choices! Such a good aunt!

The cobbler looks SO yummy!! What a great morning treat!

3 Nicole - yuppie yogini August 28, 2010

I like shopping for kids clothes too. Especially dresses for my little niece.I don’t remember clothes being so cute when I was little.

4 Vanessa August 28, 2010

I believe those are concord grapes – yum!

5 Colleen August 29, 2010

I think so too. Deeeelicious, but they have seeds :(

6 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 28, 2010

That’s so awesome, Angela! I’ve never seen anybody bake with grapes but your reasoning’s right on- they look like big blueberries so why should they bake like them? haha :P Awesome cobbler! :D

7 Callie August 28, 2010

I’ve never tried baking grapes, but they do sounds good. :)
Baby clothes are so adorable! I love how little they all are.

8 Christa August 28, 2010

They are definitely concord grapes! I can’t wait to get some, they are my favorite grape! The cobbler looks amazing, I will for sure make this when I get my hands on the concords :)

9 Sabrina August 28, 2010

I must say that here in Italy people bake with grapes alllllll the time!! I personally hate it cause to me they end up tasting like rasins and i hate rasins. But your not strange for thinking of it, its actually very common. Usually the grapes here are put on top of a large sweet pastry or inside one with a latice top, Like a very thin pie. The Tuscans go mad for this dessert its a local treat! :D

10 Lauren August 28, 2010

There is a great Black Grape drink recipe:
I can’t believe you baked them!!! ha ha LOL!

11 Amélie August 28, 2010

Thanks for the recipe Angela!
I love reading you, especially that I live not so far and everything is in season at the exact same time here! Yay for grapes! This variety use to gross me out when I was a kid, my sister would suck the inside and leave the skins out, ew!
:D

12 AdiFey August 28, 2010

wwoow this looks incredible! Do you think this would keep for a few days in the fridge if it was made on say a weekend for weekday mornings?

13 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) August 28, 2010

Baking with grapes – I have never heard of that but it sounds like a great idea! Apparently if you freeze them and eat them cold, they’re like candy too :)
Great run splits!

14 Stefanie August 28, 2010

Baby cloths shoppng is fun. I bought a couple of gifts for my friends baby and had to control myself because everything was really cute. That cobble looks yummy. Have a great weekend getaway. :)

15 Maria August 28, 2010

Looks delicious. You have used sucanat in a lot of your recipes recently, and now I have to ask what is it? I live in another country so I’ve never even heard of it. Thanks for the reply.

16 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 28, 2010

Looks delicious! I’m not normally a grapes person, but last week my mum bought some green ones and they were so juicy and crunchy! Enjoy your weekend getaway – can’t wait to hear more!

17 Wei-Wei August 28, 2010

I’ve never heard of Sucanat either, but I love your ability to recipe-create so much right now. You’re awesome :D

18 Chelsey August 28, 2010

That looks really good! I’m always looking to make something special for breakfasts on Sundays, so this might be the winner for tomorrow!!!

19 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 28, 2010

I am repeatedly impressed by your pace times in your long runs. Have you done speed work to improve your pace or did speed just build up overtime has you grew fitter and more comfortable at running?
And of course, I’m also always impressed by yummy dishes like this! What a perfect cool morning breakfast!

20 Julia August 28, 2010

Those are Concord grapes and the sight of them makes me miss home. Growing up we had Concord grapes vines and I would eat them until my belly was sick.

21 Dorry August 28, 2010

What a delicious spin on breakfast with some of my favorite ingredients! <3 your blog.

22 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 28, 2010

I love shopping for kids clothes too! They are just SO cute.

23 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA August 28, 2010

Earth Balance for the win! I have no idea why anyone uses any other kind of butter. Earth Balance is perfect.

24 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 28, 2010

Awesome run! The cobbler looks delicious. I’ll add that to my list of “OSG Recipes I HAVE to make ASAP!”

25 Sabina August 28, 2010

Mmm! Breakfast cobbler. Yours looks AWESOME! I think I may have to try breakfast cobbler.

Dumb question here: you left your oven on while running: was Eric keeping watch?

Do you have a fancy one that shuts off after a certain amount of time? Ours is a basic one that I wouldn’t dare leave alone. :)

26 Danielle August 28, 2010

I bought those grapes 2 weeks ago and fell in love! They are wonderful. Kind of like a tart blueberry. I have had visions of baking with them and today I put them in spelt pancakes (your recipe). I loved them! Now I want to try this cobbler!

27 Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 28, 2010

Those grapes were beautiful!! How could you bake with them??? Well, at least the cobbler looks delicious :D

And I also love shopping for baby/children’s clothes! Once I saw this little leather jacket for a toddler and I nearly died. So cute :D

28 elyssa August 28, 2010

yes, concord grapes! a favorite childhood memory – my grandfather grew them in a tiny vineyard out back!

29 Stina @ Girl Can August 28, 2010

I absolutely love Earth Balance. I’ve never been a fan of margarine -just ask my mother. Every margarine I tried just tasted fake and plasticy to me. I always had to have real butter on the table. Then I met Earth Balance (thanks to your blog actually) and it was love at first taste! The rest, as they say, is history.

30 Kady August 30, 2010

I totally agree, I was raised on real butter and whenever I would visit a friend’s house who’s parents used margarine, it would be sooo dissapointing. Sooo now in my adult life I also tried earth balance thanks to your blog, Angela, and absolutely love it, best taste ever. I am trying to get my parents to convert but haven’t had any success yet ;)

31 Amber K August 28, 2010

I love looking through all of the kid’s clothes. I hate actually shopping for them though. They are so expensive! I’m alway surprised anew when I realize they cost the same as clothes for myself!

32 Lauren @ Health on the Run August 28, 2010

That little outfit is so cute! I love it :)

I made cobbler the other day, and as I was eating it, I kept thinking about how awesome it would be to have it for breakfast. But I never actually got around to making substitutions so that it would actually be a good meal…and not just a dessert. I’ll have to try this version. I love all the different fruits you’ve thrown into it!

33 Mama Pea August 28, 2010

I love buying kids’ clothes too (obviously). No offense to the boys, but it’s SO fun to dress the girls.

Your breakfast cobbler looks fabulous!

34 Samantha August 28, 2010

If they’re seedless then they’re Coronation Grapes. If they have seeds then they are Concord. Coronation grapes are my absolute favourite type– tangy, sweet and -best of all-no seeds so I can just keep popping them in my mouth!

35 highonhealthy August 28, 2010

That looks great! I’m not 100% positive but I think those may be concord grapes? They look really similar to the ones my grocery store has been selling.

36 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 28, 2010

Kiddie clothes are the cutest! You’ll be an A-dorable mom one day : )

37 Fanta August 28, 2010

Ok I have to make this now! I wasn’t too hungry but now I’m starving :)

38 Emily August 28, 2010

Looks wonderful! Perfect in-between of summer fruits and fall recipes :) Enjoy the weekend!

39 Liza (Health Nutting) August 28, 2010

That looks amazing!!! You are so creative with baking! I’m always so nervous I’m going to screw something up if I improvise too much– I should just take the plunge! :)

40 holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 28, 2010

I love kid’s clothes– they are so cute. I love the little details like buttons and pockets. So cute.

Your food always looks so good — I’ve never cooked with grapes, but it looks delicious and I”m sure it tasted great.

I made your apple pie burritos (and blueberry pie burritos) last night — pics on my blog. Thanks for the recipe!

41 Allison August 28, 2010

oh that looks tasty! i’m going to have to make something similar soon i think, along with some brownies

42 The Wife of a Dairyman August 28, 2010

Those DO look like blueberries! The cobbler looks delicious and I like the idea of eating it for breakfast:)

43 Veggielady4life August 28, 2010

I buy Earth Balance, too, but I have never bought the soy-free kind! Good to know it’s available!

44 Michele August 28, 2010

OH how amazing! I do know that concord grapes and korean grapes are fairly similiar, however, the korean ones are a tad bit larger & more succulent.. well maybe that comes from growing up with them all my life!

The seasonal use of your grapes is so on spot because its right in season! My mother bought two huge boxes of the grapes… and yes.. we do eat them all ^^
I love your experimental nature with food! I will make this soon, thank youuuu~

45 Jenny August 28, 2010

those are the only grapes that i see in korea! i never saw seedless grapes until i came to canada

46 Jess-The Semi Abnormal Gal September 6, 2010

I agree with Jenny, those look like Korean grapes….I just had them for the first time this season, and I ate them like candy! They tasted like blueberries to me, minus the texture of bloobs. I was advised by the Korean grocery my friends got them from not the eat the skin, but you survived obviously, so maybe he was overly cautious?

47 Sana August 28, 2010

You have having some speedy runs, yay!! And finally some uneventful runs- no drama during runs us always a good thing!!

48 hippierunner August 28, 2010

Wow-never would have thought to bake with grapes. I love grapes best when frozen!

49 GFree_Miel August 28, 2010

That looks delicious! I’ve never had anything baked with grapes before but it sounds good! And those photographs with the smothering sunflower seed butter…ahhhhh, I’m so hungry now. It looks so good!

50 Chelsea at Striking Balance August 28, 2010

Yum that cobbler looks great. Never woulda thought to use grapes in baking, but those don’t look like any ordinary grape! Glad you had a good run too!

51 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 28, 2010

I’ve seen those grapes at my grocery store but never tried them. I’m curious to see what they taste like!

52 Dominique August 28, 2010

We used to have a concord grapevine just by the side of our house. It was transplanted from our old house…the one I grew up in until I was 8. My parents got rid of it just as they started construction on a driveway/patio/pond combo this summer. (It’s still not done.) I was never really a huge fan of concord grapes but the BF picked up a bunch from Longo’s recently and I had a bunch and they were really good–reminded me of Welch’s grape juice and of my childhood at the same time.

53 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 28, 2010

Looks fantastic. I love how your recipes are never too complex or have too many ingredients.

What camera do you have??????

54 Dominique August 28, 2010

PS: Where did you get your soy-free Earth Balance? I haven’t been able to find it at the grocery stores that carry the regular EB yet.

55 Caitlin (EatFeats) August 28, 2010

Oh we have grapes that look like that at my house! They are yummy.

I love kids clothing. It is so much more adorable (hello heart pockets on jeans) and so much more affordable than adult clothing.

56 Jenny August 28, 2010

I have never baked with grapes before! But I am addicted to them, must try NOW!:)

57 Paige @ Running Around Normal August 28, 2010

Who would have thought that green gel-grape would have come out of a dark blue grape like that?! Would have scared me too! haha:)

58 eatmovelove August 28, 2010

Oh my , that really looks good.

It’s the dollop of nut butter on top that does it for me.

I’ve seen those Grapes around lately, at the Market as well – I thought they were blueberries! Weird…the girl said they don’t taste like, but they don’t taste like ‘bloobs either….lol – are they good?

59 Heather August 28, 2010

grapes!?!?!?! unthinkable indeed! it looks amazing though…and you’re right about them looking like blueberries. that’s what i thought they were at first!

60 Tanya @ Life with the Kummerows August 28, 2010

Maybe they are the same as what Kath bought:

61 Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle August 28, 2010

omg that cobbler is mouthwatering! Especially with that Sunflower butter on it!!!

62 Cara August 28, 2010

I am a huge fan of any sort of crispy/cobblery dessert!
Those grapes are so flavorful, eh? They pack an extra punch compared to other grape varieties. I love them.

63 Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 28, 2010

For shame! those kind of grapes never make it into ANYTHING since they get gobbled up by me immediately.

64 alexa @ Sohdalex August 28, 2010

Those grapes looks magical!

65 jacquelynn August 28, 2010

Hey Angela! I am a HUGE fan of your blog… I just started my own glowvegglow.blogspot.com. Do you care if I mention some of your stuff? I will attach your links and give you all the credit, but you have been a life-changing inspiration to me, and I want to spread the word!

xoxo,
Jacquelynn

66 Kristen August 28, 2010

That cobbler looks really yummy. I’ve never tried any baked food with grapes in it. I’ll have to try it sometime.

67 Emilyeatsclean August 28, 2010

Thanks for sharing your cobbler recipe….it sounds great!! I’ve bookmarked it! :)

68 Jessica@tastyandtrim August 28, 2010

That cobbler looks absolutely amazing! I love recipes that are both sweet and tasty but healthy as well! I can’t wait to try this one out :)

69 rosi August 29, 2010

very creative but i think i’m too chicken to bake grapes lol. it looks awesome though

70 Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear August 29, 2010

I love shopping for kid’s clothes too, they’re so cute :D

71 faith @ gracefulfitness August 29, 2010

Excellent idea on the grape cobbler! I made fresh grape juice a few days ago and it was amazing, nothing like fresh grapes. I will try the cobbler this week. How were the seeds?

72 Jean@RoastedRootsPumpkinSpice August 29, 2010

Delicious looking cobbler!

Those grapes actually look like the grapes I used to eat in Korea. They are much sweeter and juicier, and they are rounder than regular grapes. Never baked with them though! That’s something I need to try :)

73 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl August 29, 2010

I probably would have had a momentary flipout over the green thing too!

The cobbler looks amazing! Never tried to bake with grapes, but I’ll have to give it a try now!

74 rachel August 29, 2010

you are amazing with all that running!
those grapes are beautiful, they really do look like big blueberries. the cobbler looks delicious.
my hubby likes earth balance too, yay for converting the mens ;)
and baby/kid clothes are adorable. i love my daughter’s outfits, i wish they made them in adult size so i could wear them too hehe.

75 Ryan August 29, 2010

The cobbler looks amazing. I definitely have to try that.

I have been meaning to ask for a while now… When you do your long runs, are you on a continuous free running path or are you on the street to encounter stop signs/stop lights? I have a hard time keeping my body at a consistent pace when I have to stop and jump around before a crosswalk every couple of minutes.

76 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 29, 2010

it’s only fun to shop for kids clothes if they’re not your kids. if they’re your kids you just get pissed on how expensive clothes are to buy and how quickly they grow out of them

77 Mary @ Fervent Foodie August 29, 2010

Baking with grapes? What a great idea!

78 Kate August 29, 2010

I saw those grapes are two markets today…one referred to them as concord and the other as “ontario bluegrapes”…which I think is another way of saying concord

79 Amykinz September 15, 2010

Angela, you are far too modest about this breakfast cobbler recipe! It is out of this world! Even my kids gobbled it up!!! I was out of bananas, so I substituted watermelon and it turned out amazing. I also used whole wheat flour, because that’s all I had on hand. At any rate, I would run for this cobbler, too! And will be making it more often. ;) Thanks for your great and nummy inventions.