Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

Good morning!

There is nothing I enjoy more than going on a shopping spree at Bonnie Togs.

20100827IMG 7092 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

I love, love, love shopping for kids clothing. It is honestly one of my great joys. The clothes are just so cute! I could stay in the stores for hours looking at all the cute dresses and itsy-bitsy shoes.

20100827IMG 7094 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

I hope my niece and nephew like them!

Look what our CSA brought us this week…

20100827IMG 6947 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

Grapes!

Well, that is what the CSA (Plan B Farm) called them, but to me I would expect they are a certain variety of grapes?? Surely, they can’t just be called plain old grapes, can they…?

They are delicious, sweet, and juicy.

20100827IMG 6952 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

And then I did the unthinkable.

20100827IMG 6957 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

I baked with them.

I know, I know, first avocado, now grapes.

I figure there is a first for everything in my kitchen.

They actually taste and look like blueberries, so I figured they could be a good substitution in a breakfast cobbler…

20100827IMG 7007 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

Grape, Banana, & Apple Cobbler

This was my first shot at making a cobbler without a recipe and I was pretty happy with it. The end result was a very chewy and moist cobbler- this isn’t a crisp if that is what you are looking for. If you want to make it crispier, you might want to use more Sucanat and less maple syrup, just as an idea. Have fun with the recipe and don’t be afraid to play around with different add-ins!

Ingredients:

• 2 cups regular oats
  • 2 tbsp flour (I used spelt)
  • 1 cup blueberries or grapes
  • 1/4 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled and chopped
  • 1 apple, peeled and chopped
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp fresh lemon

Directions: In a large bowl add the chopped apple, banana, grapes, oats, flour, sea salt, cinnamon, and Sucanat. In a medium sized bowl mix the slightly melted Earth balance, lemon, and maple syrup. Add wet to dry and mix well. Place in a casserole dish and bake at 350F for 70 minutes. Note: Next time I would bake at a higher temperature so it wouldn’t take as long…probably 400F for 50 minutes? Watch it carefully to avoid burning. Serve hot or cold. Top with your favourite nut butter!

The soy-free Earth Balance I use…

20100827IMG 6960 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler 20100827IMG 6961 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

A few weeks ago, I did a blind taste test on Eric using Earth Balance and his regular margarine on toast. He pointed to the toast and said with much confidence, ‘This one is MUCH better, it has to be my margarine.’ and I grinned and told him it was Earth Balance and he has been enjoying it ever since!

It works great in baked goods too.

20100827IMG 6964 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

Whisk the maple syrup and Earth Balance until they are one.

20100827IMG 6967 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

Squirt some fresh lemon…

20100827IMG 6970 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler 20100827IMG 6971 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

Just a tiny squirt…no more than 1/2 tsp or the lemon will overwhelm the dish.

20100827IMG 6978 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

I’m sure you can find a way to use up the rest of the lemon. :) Spike some water…or a margarita…

I made a much needed batch of lemon sugar scrub. Love that stuff! Dare I say it is my favourite face scrub ever?

Chopped apple, grapes, banana, oats, Sucanat, cinnamon, flour, and sea salt!

20100827IMG 6980 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

Mixed up:

20100827IMG 6981 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

Dressed up:

20100827IMG 6987 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

I saw something green in the mix and I realized it was the inside of a grape!

20100827IMG 6988 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

Whew.

20100827IMG 6989 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

into a casserole dish…

20100827IMG 6991 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

And baked for 70 minutes at 350F. Next time, I would bake it at a higher heat to speed up the process. The cobbler doesn’t get very hard, but it remains quite soft and chewy almost like overnight oats.

20100827IMG 7009 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

While this was baking I hit the road for a glorious run in some glorious sunny and crisp weather. I had two medjool dates and some tea before I left. I decided to run a 10k today.

dfdf thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

The run was pretty uneventful except for seeing 3 pheasants cross the road in front of me!! They are so funny to watch. My 10k (6.2 mi) time was 53:55 mins. and then I ran another 0.2 miles to get home. The hills were killing me during the last mile!

When I got home I tried the cobbler right out of the oven and it was quite good, but I suspected I would like it even better cold, so I threw it in the fridge while I showered and did Polly’s Yoga for Runners.

It was delicious cold and it got all clumped up in big chunks. Mmmmm.

20100828IMG 7097 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

I spooned some TJ’s Sunflower Seed Butter on top. Man oh man was this heaven in a cup!!

20100828IMG 7098 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

To my delight, the grapes tasted really good in this. Very refreshing and juicy. I’m not sure if ‘regular grapes’ would work in this, but these ones sure did.

20100828IMG 7099 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

20100828IMG 7101 thumb   Will Run For Breakfast Cobbler

I’m off to do a bit of cleaning, make a chocolate sauce for the brownies, and then pack for our weekend getaway. I will do my best to get a post up tonight. Have a great start to your weekend! :)

Steph (@mediterraneanmiss) August 28, 2010

Those baby clothes are adorable! My mom and I went into a baby burberry store and were swooning over the little hats and scarves there. Two of my cousins are pregnant right now and I can’t wait to start buying presents for their babies!

Grapes are definitely my favorite food ever. What an interesting way of incorporating them!! Looks yummy, and I think that I’d like them cold, too.

Have a beautiful weekend!
x

Mandy A August 28, 2010

Shopping for clothes for my 4 year old daughter is almost more fun than shopping for myself ;) I love finding cute stuff for her! I think your niece and nephew will love your choices! Such a good aunt!

The cobbler looks SO yummy!! What a great morning treat!

Nicole - yuppie yogini August 28, 2010

I like shopping for kids clothes too. Especially dresses for my little niece.I don’t remember clothes being so cute when I was little.

Vanessa August 28, 2010

I believe those are concord grapes – yum!

Colleen August 29, 2010

I think so too. Deeeelicious, but they have seeds :(

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 28, 2010

That’s so awesome, Angela! I’ve never seen anybody bake with grapes but your reasoning’s right on- they look like big blueberries so why should they bake like them? haha :P Awesome cobbler! :D

Callie August 28, 2010

I’ve never tried baking grapes, but they do sounds good. :)
Baby clothes are so adorable! I love how little they all are.

Christa August 28, 2010

They are definitely concord grapes! I can’t wait to get some, they are my favorite grape! The cobbler looks amazing, I will for sure make this when I get my hands on the concords :)

Sabrina August 28, 2010

I must say that here in Italy people bake with grapes alllllll the time!! I personally hate it cause to me they end up tasting like rasins and i hate rasins. But your not strange for thinking of it, its actually very common. Usually the grapes here are put on top of a large sweet pastry or inside one with a latice top, Like a very thin pie. The Tuscans go mad for this dessert its a local treat! :D

Lauren August 28, 2010

There is a great Black Grape drink recipe:
I can’t believe you baked them!!! ha ha LOL!

Amélie August 28, 2010

Thanks for the recipe Angela!
I love reading you, especially that I live not so far and everything is in season at the exact same time here! Yay for grapes! This variety use to gross me out when I was a kid, my sister would suck the inside and leave the skins out, ew!
:D

AdiFey August 28, 2010

wwoow this looks incredible! Do you think this would keep for a few days in the fridge if it was made on say a weekend for weekday mornings?

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) August 28, 2010

Baking with grapes – I have never heard of that but it sounds like a great idea! Apparently if you freeze them and eat them cold, they’re like candy too :)
Great run splits!

Stefanie August 28, 2010

Baby cloths shoppng is fun. I bought a couple of gifts for my friends baby and had to control myself because everything was really cute. That cobble looks yummy. Have a great weekend getaway. :)

Maria August 28, 2010

Looks delicious. You have used sucanat in a lot of your recipes recently, and now I have to ask what is it? I live in another country so I’ve never even heard of it. Thanks for the reply.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 28, 2010

Looks delicious! I’m not normally a grapes person, but last week my mum bought some green ones and they were so juicy and crunchy! Enjoy your weekend getaway – can’t wait to hear more!

Wei-Wei August 28, 2010

I’ve never heard of Sucanat either, but I love your ability to recipe-create so much right now. You’re awesome :D

Chelsey August 28, 2010

That looks really good! I’m always looking to make something special for breakfasts on Sundays, so this might be the winner for tomorrow!!!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 28, 2010

I am repeatedly impressed by your pace times in your long runs. Have you done speed work to improve your pace or did speed just build up overtime has you grew fitter and more comfortable at running?
And of course, I’m also always impressed by yummy dishes like this! What a perfect cool morning breakfast!

Julia August 28, 2010

Those are Concord grapes and the sight of them makes me miss home. Growing up we had Concord grapes vines and I would eat them until my belly was sick.

Dorry August 28, 2010

What a delicious spin on breakfast with some of my favorite ingredients! <3 your blog.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 28, 2010

I love shopping for kids clothes too! They are just SO cute.

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA August 28, 2010

Earth Balance for the win! I have no idea why anyone uses any other kind of butter. Earth Balance is perfect.

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 28, 2010

Awesome run! The cobbler looks delicious. I’ll add that to my list of “OSG Recipes I HAVE to make ASAP!”

Sabina August 28, 2010

Mmm! Breakfast cobbler. Yours looks AWESOME! I think I may have to try breakfast cobbler.

Dumb question here: you left your oven on while running: was Eric keeping watch?

Do you have a fancy one that shuts off after a certain amount of time? Ours is a basic one that I wouldn’t dare leave alone. :)

Danielle August 28, 2010

I bought those grapes 2 weeks ago and fell in love! They are wonderful. Kind of like a tart blueberry. I have had visions of baking with them and today I put them in spelt pancakes (your recipe). I loved them! Now I want to try this cobbler!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 28, 2010

Those grapes were beautiful!! How could you bake with them??? Well, at least the cobbler looks delicious :D

And I also love shopping for baby/children’s clothes! Once I saw this little leather jacket for a toddler and I nearly died. So cute :D

elyssa August 28, 2010

yes, concord grapes! a favorite childhood memory – my grandfather grew them in a tiny vineyard out back!

Stina @ Girl Can August 28, 2010

I absolutely love Earth Balance. I’ve never been a fan of margarine -just ask my mother. Every margarine I tried just tasted fake and plasticy to me. I always had to have real butter on the table. Then I met Earth Balance (thanks to your blog actually) and it was love at first taste! The rest, as they say, is history.

Kady August 30, 2010

I totally agree, I was raised on real butter and whenever I would visit a friend’s house who’s parents used margarine, it would be sooo dissapointing. Sooo now in my adult life I also tried earth balance thanks to your blog, Angela, and absolutely love it, best taste ever. I am trying to get my parents to convert but haven’t had any success yet ;)

Amber K August 28, 2010

I love looking through all of the kid’s clothes. I hate actually shopping for them though. They are so expensive! I’m alway surprised anew when I realize they cost the same as clothes for myself!

Lauren @ Health on the Run August 28, 2010

That little outfit is so cute! I love it :)

I made cobbler the other day, and as I was eating it, I kept thinking about how awesome it would be to have it for breakfast. But I never actually got around to making substitutions so that it would actually be a good meal…and not just a dessert. I’ll have to try this version. I love all the different fruits you’ve thrown into it!

Mama Pea August 28, 2010

I love buying kids’ clothes too (obviously). No offense to the boys, but it’s SO fun to dress the girls.

Your breakfast cobbler looks fabulous!

Samantha August 28, 2010

If they’re seedless then they’re Coronation Grapes. If they have seeds then they are Concord. Coronation grapes are my absolute favourite type– tangy, sweet and -best of all-no seeds so I can just keep popping them in my mouth!

highonhealthy August 28, 2010

That looks great! I’m not 100% positive but I think those may be concord grapes? They look really similar to the ones my grocery store has been selling.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 28, 2010

Kiddie clothes are the cutest! You’ll be an A-dorable mom one day : )

Fanta August 28, 2010

Ok I have to make this now! I wasn’t too hungry but now I’m starving :)

Emily August 28, 2010

Looks wonderful! Perfect in-between of summer fruits and fall recipes :) Enjoy the weekend!

Liza (Health Nutting) August 28, 2010

That looks amazing!!! You are so creative with baking! I’m always so nervous I’m going to screw something up if I improvise too much– I should just take the plunge! :)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 28, 2010

I love kid’s clothes– they are so cute. I love the little details like buttons and pockets. So cute.

Your food always looks so good — I’ve never cooked with grapes, but it looks delicious and I”m sure it tasted great.

I made your apple pie burritos (and blueberry pie burritos) last night — pics on my blog. Thanks for the recipe!

Allison August 28, 2010

oh that looks tasty! i’m going to have to make something similar soon i think, along with some brownies

The Wife of a Dairyman August 28, 2010

Those DO look like blueberries! The cobbler looks delicious and I like the idea of eating it for breakfast:)

Page 1 of 212»