Long Run Fail

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 20, 2010

Good morning!

Last night I had this enthusiastic idea that I was going to do my 10 mile long run this morning. I was pumped. It would be the most amazing long run I have ever had.

However, I ended up working until about 12:30am and all my good intentions went out the window when my alarm went off at 5:45 this morning. I hit the alarm so hard it fell off the nightstand and I pulled the blanket over my head and fell back into a beautiful, deep, and peaceful sleep until about 7:35. I had a dream about White Chocolate Peanut Butter.

This is what we call a long run fail. They get the best of us sometimes.

We are experiencing an uncharacteristically chilly and crisp Fall-like day today in Southern Ontario! Perhaps it is due to my Fall ramblings from yesterday that did it. At any rate, I might still be able to run later today if I can get a big hunk of my work complete.

Tonight Eric and I are going away for the weekend to visit family at the cottage. We haven’t had a chance to go up all summer due to the Farmer’s market, so it will be so nice to get up there. :)

Before bed last night I whipped up a bowl of High Protein Chocolate Vegan Overnight Oats, using Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Power to amp up the protein. This bowl has about 14-15 grams of protein and more if you add toppings.

20100820-IMG_0569

Chocolate Protein Vegan Overnight Oats

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp Amazing Grass Amazing Meal Chocolate Powder
  • 1 cup Almond milk, original (plus more added in morning to thin out)
  • 1 banana, chopped or made into banana soft serve
  • Toppings: Unsweetened coconut, 1 tbsp TJ’s sunflower seed butter

Directions: Mix the oats, chia seed, and chocolate powder in a small bowl with a whisk. Now pour in milk and whisk until clumps are gone. Place in fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight. Add a chopped banana if preferred.

Nutritional information (without banana): 320 kcals, 12 grams fat (3000 mg Omega-3; 900 mg Omega-6), 11 grams fibre, 14 grams protein, 35 grams carbs.

20100820-IMG_0550

Meet a new friend:

20100820-IMG_0566

The sunflower seed butter is really good. Smooth and silky with a hint of sweetness. Much better than my homemade sunflower seed butter that turned into a huge clump of you know what. ;)

20100820-IMG_0552

It was a filling and delicious way to start the day!

20100820-IMG_0562

Word on the street tells me there are a few Amazing Grass coupons left! Just use the code HLS10 in the checkout to receive 25% off your entire order.

I better get back to work. I will see you later alligators! Happy Friday :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 20, 2010 at 9:12 am

sometimes you have to fail to know how good the great runs are! hope you have a fabulous friday girl :)

lydia August 20, 2010 at 9:14 am

mmmmmm so I just made the pumpkin VOO and my 1 year old son loves it he just kept opening his mouth for more it was so funny glad he is at least eating one vegetable. Does the chocolate meal from amazing grass taste like carob or cocoa nibs, I bought both yesterday to try on my VOO like you do sometimes and had to spit them out they were so horrible. How do you do it? thanks

Kristina @ spabettie August 20, 2010 at 9:15 am

I have a BAD summer cold right now – I am so feeling JUMPY to get out for a nice RUN ! :)

Happy Friday Angela !

Joslyn @ missfitbliss August 20, 2010 at 9:16 am

I have yet to try your overnight oats, but it’ll happen soon enough. I used to be a marathon runner and I totally understand those mornings. Good luck squeezing it in this afternoon!

Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) August 20, 2010 at 9:18 am

Sometimes sleep takes priority! Getting a few extra hours on a chilly, cozy morning sounds delightful. And now you’ll be motivated to work extra hard to fit in your run later :)

Nicole @ geek turned athlete August 20, 2010 at 9:18 am

Your body needed the rest! You’ll get to it today. Don’t worry about it! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet August 20, 2010 at 9:30 am

I get up every morning to work out at 445, but if my alarm went off and I knew I had to run 10 miles, I’d throw it out the freaking window.

Wei-Wei August 20, 2010 at 9:30 am

Ah well, at least the oats made up for it right? Besides, sleep is really important, and you have to work around what you’ve got. I’m sure it’ll be fine ;)

Nic August 20, 2010 at 9:31 am

You’ll be happy you chose your warm cozy bed, eventually when you get around to your run today you will be happy you had the extra zzzz’s which will give you the extra energy to make it the amazing run you are looking for :)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker August 20, 2010 at 9:31 am

Just a short note: I LOVE sunflower seed butter!

shelley August 20, 2010 at 9:33 am

I Think that the fact that u sleeped in shows you are listening to your body which is so important. I’d be tired too!! Those oats look soo delicioiusss :) jealous. I haven’t tried the amazing grass powders yet but definitely want to!

Chelsea at Striking Balance August 20, 2010 at 9:33 am

I loveeeee vegan overnight oats. I’m not vegan, but I still prefer the VOO. The texture is perfect! And with banana soft serve…I’m drooling. The best, most energizing breakfast!
Sometimes, sleep is more important than running! Your body obviously needed it!

Have a great day!
Chelsea

shannon (the daily balance) August 20, 2010 at 9:33 am

i’m jealous of your crisp fall-like day! we have lots of sticky humidity here in Cleveland ;(

Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure August 20, 2010 at 9:35 am

I went for a raw cacao, sunwarrior and banana shake this morning… maybe I need to do some Overnight Oats soon those look good!

Satori August 20, 2010 at 9:35 am

I’ve been following your blog all week and now I’m hooked! It’s so inspirational and just so different than most of the blogs I read that counts calories or exercises but then eats tons and tons of (delicious) unhealthy food. Just thought you should know you hooked another reader. :)

Christina August 20, 2010 at 9:37 am

If you add the chopped banana in the night before, it will infuse banana flavor throughout :) It’s lovely.

(to prevent the banana from browning, mix it in but make sure they are covered by the oat mixture).

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) August 20, 2010 at 9:38 am

Lol – we’ve all beeen there with the long run fail!! On 5hrs of sleep it would’ve been a bad one anyway :P
LOVE the oats!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 20, 2010 at 9:39 am

I hear ya on the crips fall-y weather – what the heck is going on!?!??! Hope you managed to get all your GloBars done yesterday. We missed you last night! :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 20, 2010 at 9:42 am

That looks like an amazing breakfast. I haven’t tried the sunflower seed butter, although I’ve heard it is delicious!

I hope you get your work done so you can get out and RUN! I love to run in the fall, or anytime the air is crisp and cool!

Camille August 20, 2010 at 9:42 am

Good for you for not pushing yourself when you needed sleep!
Have a great day!

Amélie August 20, 2010 at 9:44 am

Oh I hear ya girl, I’m having one of those long-run fail perior this days! Too much work, not enough sleep. Mornings are crisp and fresh here in Quebec right now as well, which is to me a good incentive to get my butt out in the early morning for a refreshing run!
Happy Friday to you!

Amélie

The Wife of a Dairyman August 20, 2010 at 9:44 am

I almost did the same thing this morning myself. I wanted to roll over and turn that alarm off and drift back off to sleep, but I didn’t {but my work out is just an hour of boot camp} I don’t think I could handle 10 miles in the morning. Have a great day!

adina August 20, 2010 at 9:45 am

I was so excited to eat my pumpkin pie VOO this morning that I woke up extra early before my alarm went off ha :) I felt like a little kid waiting to open presents on Christmas morning! And I must say that’s hands down the most awesome breakfast in the world :D Have a fabulous Friday !

Run Sarah August 20, 2010 at 9:46 am

The weather was not so great here either so I skipped running outside this AM as well. Love the protein oats – I still have yet to try adding protein powder to my breakfasts!

Ange August 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

Ahh…good for you for grabbing some extra shut eye! You’ll find the time this afternoon -and it’s so beautiful out today!

The Sunflower butter people had a booth at the CFP Conference last weekend and I scooped up a bunch of samples – it’s so awesome!!!

Leanne @ Radiant, Balanced & Fit August 20, 2010 at 9:53 am

Quick question for you Ang! Other then your overnight oats do you ever do anything else with the amazing grass? I’m going to place an order right away but I’m just curious!

Megan @ The Daily Sweat August 20, 2010 at 9:55 am

I just purchased Peanut Butter Company’s White Chocolate peanut butter last night for the first time. I’ve been missing out! I’ll soon be having dreams of it too. : )

[email protected] kristyruns.com August 20, 2010 at 9:55 am

Those are my fav voos! Nut butter+ chocolate protein+ banana =fabulousness ;)

kari August 20, 2010 at 9:56 am

you had a long day yesterday and you needed your beauty sleep;-) i will be enjoying your pumpkin overnight oats recipe this morning. well, have a happy day and great weekend!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 20, 2010 at 9:59 am

Sometimes I think we can learn more from the run fails than we do the greater runs – I think this time you may have learned: my body needs some more sleep!

Lin August 20, 2010 at 9:59 am

I must try sunflower seed butter! i love your cup and spoon :-) Brightly colored china always makes me smile.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 20, 2010 at 10:01 am

Yeah, sometimes life gets in the way of a run.

Have fun at the cottage.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 20, 2010 at 10:04 am

That looks delicious. I have a jar of sunflower seed butter in my cabinet waiting to be opened- can’t wait to give it a try!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 20, 2010 at 10:10 am

Nothing wrong with needing some extra sleep. If my job wouldn’t mind, I’d have done that today, too.

Bridget August 20, 2010 at 10:14 am

What a beautiful bowl of oats! Can’t think of a better way to start the morning :)

Faith @ lovelyascharged August 20, 2010 at 10:27 am

It may be a run fail, but it sounds like it was definitely a sleep win!

Kris August 20, 2010 at 10:36 am

Yay Friday!!! Have a great weekend at the cottage :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 20, 2010 at 10:36 am

Those oats look delicious!

Zoe August 20, 2010 at 10:48 am

I’m really itching to get my hands on some sunflower butter – anyone in the UK know of a reasonable alternative to the Trader Joe’s stuff?

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 20, 2010 at 10:52 am

I told ya…TJ’s SSB is a must buy/try!! :) Definitely not like homemade. I wonder how they get it so silky smooth.

Beth @ Will Run for Books August 20, 2010 at 10:53 am

Ugggh I have to do my long run tomorrow…. not looking forward to it. Motivation? Hellooooo?

Lauren August 20, 2010 at 10:53 am

Oh, don’t worry one bit about the failed run. Every time I miss a planned run, I get really upset at first and then I remember, I have the rest of my life to run. Missing one day is not going to make any difference at all.

Amber K August 20, 2010 at 11:02 am

Those oats look great!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 20, 2010 at 11:07 am

Sometimes sleep just trumps working out! Your bod will thank you :D

Olivia @ Blissful Runner August 20, 2010 at 11:13 am

I love Sun butter! I always say it tastes like baseball season in a jar. :) Last night I drizzled it on a baked sweet potato – yum! Oh, and the cabin sounds like a lovely place for a long run. ;)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 20, 2010 at 11:34 am

Wow, you work so much! Are you going to be able to hire more help?

Dani @ Body By Nature August 20, 2010 at 11:44 am

I can’t remember life before VOO :) I forgot to make it last night and woke up this morning feeling like I was missing something very important!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut August 20, 2010 at 11:48 am

Now that it is heating up in Southern California, overnight oats will be my go to breakfast. I was sweating making my last hot oatmeal.

I have the TJs sunflower seed butter, it’s so dense and rich. I love it.

[email protected] August 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hope you get your run in! Don’t worry if you don’t :-)

Viviane August 20, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Happy Friday to you too Angela :)

Your overnight oats look amazing… must try the cocoa/banana/coconut combo asap!
My husband is not the healthiest eater (yet – I’m having him follow your husband’s progress to motivate him. So far so good, no more soda!) but he really enjoys sunflower butter!

Have a great weekend!

Olivia August 20, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Hi Ange!
I’m a newish readar, and so far I love your blog :) Random question – how do you keep yourself from picking at the ingredients while baking Glo bars?
I love to bake and cook but i have so much trouble snacking while I prep even when I’m not super hungry. Maybe I’m just don’t have enough patience or self-control!

Thanks,
olivia

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm

It’s REALLY getting hot out here in L.A. so I think I’m on team FALL! :D I love warm comfort foods like roasted squash, veggie chili, and hot chocolate! Ahhh… I can’t wait!

That squash looks seriously amazing–> when it’s cool enough here, I’m going to try it!

Leanne August 20, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Oooooooo, I’m going to need to act fast on that coupon!! Thanks.

Ali August 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Sometimes sleep is much more beneficial to our bodies than a run would be. Good for you for listening to your body!

Sana August 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Yay! for sleeping in! You know we would have ALL done the same thing :)!

Jacquelynn August 20, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Hey Angela! Thank you soooo much for the Amazing Grass coupon! I just started using the stuff (saw an ad for the 14 day challenge of using it) and luv luv luv it! So, I just used your coupon and ordered more :)

I absolutely love your blog, it is inspiring and I look forward to the new posts. I have been vegan for almost a year, and I find so many rockin’ recipes on your blog. I am sipping an amazing grass green monster as I type :) multi-tasking, lol!

Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration.
Sincerely,
Jacquelynn

Devon August 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm

PLEASE come work some of your weather mojo here! It’s still 100 degrees down here in TX. I want fall to come so badly I can taste it!!

Elli @ 16 and Losing It August 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I know that feeling of just not wanting to run. Normally I can convince myself to do it anyway, but I’m not running 10 miles so theres definitely a difference. Those oats are practically a work of art, especially in your beautiful pictures!

Nicole August 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm

It doesn’t look like my previous comment went through, so I’m going to try again…

I am a huge fan of sunbutter! I figured out how to make it myself, so you should definitely try again, too! I’ll be posting the process/recipe on my blog tomorrow (adashofcompassion.blogspot.com). It’s cheap and easy – the secret is to toast the seeds and add a bit of oil.

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy August 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Oooh, those overnight oats look fantabulous. I LOVE your photos, and I LOVE the red mug and red spoonie. So vibrant!
If you have a moment, please stop by my blog sometime soon – I think you’d like it!
And speaking of photos, I do believe I might be getting a Canon EOS Rebel t2i soon. OH MY GOSH. It will be hanging around my neck pretty much 24/7. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neen @ Broad Bean to Runner Bean August 20, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Sometimes we just have to pass up on the workout, your body knows best – listen to it. x

Lauren @ 40Apples August 20, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Aw it happens to the best of us :) It’s good that you gave yourself the sleep you needed, though. And maybe with all that good-sleep energy you’ll be able to make the run happen later!

Really want to try the sunflower seed butter – I’ve been hearing it’s great!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 20, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Running gives me a chance to think about life and just run forward and clear my mind.

NEED HELP: :)
P.S. You once told me what kind of camera you have, but I forgot and I’m going camera shopping.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 20, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I want to try out that sunflower seed butter! I use Sunbutter, which has no sweetness to it so it doesn’t really taste good paired with sweet things like oatmeal and pancakes.

Have fun at the cottage this weekend! :)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun August 20, 2010 at 7:58 pm

This is a comment on this post and your more recent post.

I love that you write about why you love running – I have just started running about 6 months ago and I have not gotten to the point where I “love” it yet, but your blog still gives me motivation!

chelsey August 21, 2010 at 7:20 am

Yum! I totally want to have chocolate oats now! Thanks for the great idea!

Ashley August 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm

i loveyourblog! seriously though, you are the most amazing woman ever, so inspring and positive! no matter how bad my day is going, i always smile while reading your blog because your so healthy and positive! im trying voo for the first time tomorrow! finally earned up enough money to buy chai seeds! so excited! have a great day <3
Ashley

The Vegan Tiffin August 21, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I have somehow never made overnight oats, but this looks so easy! Thank you for sharing your recipe – I’ll have to do this at some point this week! Do the bananas not turn brown being in the fridge mashed up overnight with the oat mixture? I suppose with the chocolate powder you would not be able to tell, anyway, right?

Sarah August 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

Hello! I made these for myself last night (I used whey protien powder because I didn’t have Amazing Grass and only 2/3 cup almond milk) but it didn’t thicken very much and there was still a lot of liquid. Any ideas as to why that might be? What could I do to improve it so it becomes thicker, like a porridge?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2012 at 9:11 am

Hey Sarah, Sometimes I’ve found that the type/brand of oats can absorb different amounts of liquid. Are you using rolled oats? Also, I would try using less almond milk next time and maybe a bit more chia seeds. Goodluck!!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 19, 2013 at 1:48 am

Didn’t know they had sunflower seed butter at TJ, will have to check it out
I need to buy the raw sunflower kernels too, for recipes
The VOO stuffs look very appetizing