Long Run Fail

Good morning!

Last night I had this enthusiastic idea that I was going to do my 10 mile long run this morning. I was pumped. It would be the most amazing long run I have ever had.

However, I ended up working until about 12:30am and all my good intentions went out the window when my alarm went off at 5:45 this morning. I hit the alarm so hard it fell off the nightstand and I pulled the blanket over my head and fell back into a beautiful, deep, and peaceful sleep until about 7:35. I had a dream about White Chocolate Peanut Butter.

This is what we call a long run fail. They get the best of us sometimes.

We are experiencing an uncharacteristically chilly and crisp Fall-like day today in Southern Ontario! Perhaps it is due to my Fall ramblings from yesterday that did it. At any rate, I might still be able to run later today if I can get a big hunk of my work complete.

Tonight Eric and I are going away for the weekend to visit family at the cottage. We haven’t had a chance to go up all summer due to the Farmer’s market, so it will be so nice to get up there. :)

Before bed last night I whipped up a bowl of High Protein Chocolate Vegan Overnight Oats, using Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Power to amp up the protein. This bowl has about 14-15 grams of protein and more if you add toppings.

20100820IMG 0569 thumb   Long Run Fail

Chocolate Protein Vegan Overnight Oats

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp Amazing Grass Amazing Meal Chocolate Powder
  • 1 cup Almond milk, original (plus more added in morning to thin out)
  • 1 banana, chopped or made into banana soft serve
  • Toppings: Unsweetened coconut, 1 tbsp TJ’s sunflower seed butter

Directions: Mix the oats, chia seed, and chocolate powder in a small bowl with a whisk. Now pour in milk and whisk until clumps are gone. Place in fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight. Add a chopped banana if preferred.

Nutritional information (without banana): 320 kcals, 12 grams fat (3000 mg Omega-3; 900 mg Omega-6), 11 grams fibre, 14 grams protein, 35 grams carbs.

20100820IMG 0550 thumb   Long Run Fail

Meet a new friend:

20100820IMG 0566 thumb   Long Run Fail

The sunflower seed butter is really good. Smooth and silky with a hint of sweetness. Much better than my homemade sunflower seed butter that turned into a huge clump of you know what. ;)

20100820IMG 0552 thumb   Long Run Fail

It was a filling and delicious way to start the day!

20100820IMG 0562 thumb   Long Run Fail

Word on the street tells me there are a few Amazing Grass coupons left! Just use the code HLS10 in the checkout to receive 25% off your entire order.

I better get back to work. I will see you later alligators! Happy Friday :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 20, 2010

sometimes you have to fail to know how good the great runs are! hope you have a fabulous friday girl :)

lydia August 20, 2010

mmmmmm so I just made the pumpkin VOO and my 1 year old son loves it he just kept opening his mouth for more it was so funny glad he is at least eating one vegetable. Does the chocolate meal from amazing grass taste like carob or cocoa nibs, I bought both yesterday to try on my VOO like you do sometimes and had to spit them out they were so horrible. How do you do it? thanks

Kristina @ spabettie August 20, 2010

I have a BAD summer cold right now – I am so feeling JUMPY to get out for a nice RUN ! :)

Happy Friday Angela !

Joslyn @ missfitbliss August 20, 2010

I have yet to try your overnight oats, but it’ll happen soon enough. I used to be a marathon runner and I totally understand those mornings. Good luck squeezing it in this afternoon!

Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) August 20, 2010

Sometimes sleep takes priority! Getting a few extra hours on a chilly, cozy morning sounds delightful. And now you’ll be motivated to work extra hard to fit in your run later :)

Nicole @ geek turned athlete August 20, 2010

Your body needed the rest! You’ll get to it today. Don’t worry about it! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet August 20, 2010

I get up every morning to work out at 445, but if my alarm went off and I knew I had to run 10 miles, I’d throw it out the freaking window.

Wei-Wei August 20, 2010

Ah well, at least the oats made up for it right? Besides, sleep is really important, and you have to work around what you’ve got. I’m sure it’ll be fine ;)

Nic August 20, 2010

You’ll be happy you chose your warm cozy bed, eventually when you get around to your run today you will be happy you had the extra zzzz’s which will give you the extra energy to make it the amazing run you are looking for :)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker August 20, 2010

Just a short note: I LOVE sunflower seed butter!

shelley August 20, 2010

I Think that the fact that u sleeped in shows you are listening to your body which is so important. I’d be tired too!! Those oats look soo delicioiusss :) jealous. I haven’t tried the amazing grass powders yet but definitely want to!

Chelsea at Striking Balance August 20, 2010

I loveeeee vegan overnight oats. I’m not vegan, but I still prefer the VOO. The texture is perfect! And with banana soft serve…I’m drooling. The best, most energizing breakfast!
Sometimes, sleep is more important than running! Your body obviously needed it!

Have a great day!
Chelsea

shannon (the daily balance) August 20, 2010

i’m jealous of your crisp fall-like day! we have lots of sticky humidity here in Cleveland ;(

Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure August 20, 2010

I went for a raw cacao, sunwarrior and banana shake this morning… maybe I need to do some Overnight Oats soon those look good!

Satori August 20, 2010

I’ve been following your blog all week and now I’m hooked! It’s so inspirational and just so different than most of the blogs I read that counts calories or exercises but then eats tons and tons of (delicious) unhealthy food. Just thought you should know you hooked another reader. :)

Christina August 20, 2010

If you add the chopped banana in the night before, it will infuse banana flavor throughout :) It’s lovely.

(to prevent the banana from browning, mix it in but make sure they are covered by the oat mixture).

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) August 20, 2010

Lol – we’ve all beeen there with the long run fail!! On 5hrs of sleep it would’ve been a bad one anyway :P
LOVE the oats!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 20, 2010

I hear ya on the crips fall-y weather – what the heck is going on!?!??! Hope you managed to get all your GloBars done yesterday. We missed you last night! :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 20, 2010

That looks like an amazing breakfast. I haven’t tried the sunflower seed butter, although I’ve heard it is delicious!

I hope you get your work done so you can get out and RUN! I love to run in the fall, or anytime the air is crisp and cool!

Camille August 20, 2010

Good for you for not pushing yourself when you needed sleep!
Have a great day!

Amélie August 20, 2010

Oh I hear ya girl, I’m having one of those long-run fail perior this days! Too much work, not enough sleep. Mornings are crisp and fresh here in Quebec right now as well, which is to me a good incentive to get my butt out in the early morning for a refreshing run!
Happy Friday to you!

Amélie

The Wife of a Dairyman August 20, 2010

I almost did the same thing this morning myself. I wanted to roll over and turn that alarm off and drift back off to sleep, but I didn’t {but my work out is just an hour of boot camp} I don’t think I could handle 10 miles in the morning. Have a great day!

adina August 20, 2010

I was so excited to eat my pumpkin pie VOO this morning that I woke up extra early before my alarm went off ha :) I felt like a little kid waiting to open presents on Christmas morning! And I must say that’s hands down the most awesome breakfast in the world :D Have a fabulous Friday !

Run Sarah August 20, 2010

The weather was not so great here either so I skipped running outside this AM as well. Love the protein oats – I still have yet to try adding protein powder to my breakfasts!

Ange August 20, 2010

Ahh…good for you for grabbing some extra shut eye! You’ll find the time this afternoon -and it’s so beautiful out today!

The Sunflower butter people had a booth at the CFP Conference last weekend and I scooped up a bunch of samples – it’s so awesome!!!

Leanne @ Radiant, Balanced & Fit August 20, 2010

Quick question for you Ang! Other then your overnight oats do you ever do anything else with the amazing grass? I’m going to place an order right away but I’m just curious!

Megan @ The Daily Sweat August 20, 2010

I just purchased Peanut Butter Company’s White Chocolate peanut butter last night for the first time. I’ve been missing out! I’ll soon be having dreams of it too. : )

kristy@ kristyruns.com August 20, 2010

Those are my fav voos! Nut butter+ chocolate protein+ banana =fabulousness ;)

kari August 20, 2010

you had a long day yesterday and you needed your beauty sleep;-) i will be enjoying your pumpkin overnight oats recipe this morning. well, have a happy day and great weekend!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 20, 2010

Sometimes I think we can learn more from the run fails than we do the greater runs – I think this time you may have learned: my body needs some more sleep!

Lin August 20, 2010

I must try sunflower seed butter! i love your cup and spoon :-) Brightly colored china always makes me smile.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 20, 2010

Yeah, sometimes life gets in the way of a run.

Have fun at the cottage.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 20, 2010

That looks delicious. I have a jar of sunflower seed butter in my cabinet waiting to be opened- can’t wait to give it a try!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 20, 2010

Nothing wrong with needing some extra sleep. If my job wouldn’t mind, I’d have done that today, too.

Bridget August 20, 2010

What a beautiful bowl of oats! Can’t think of a better way to start the morning :)

Faith @ lovelyascharged August 20, 2010

It may be a run fail, but it sounds like it was definitely a sleep win!

Kris August 20, 2010

Yay Friday!!! Have a great weekend at the cottage :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 20, 2010

Those oats look delicious!

Zoe August 20, 2010

I’m really itching to get my hands on some sunflower butter – anyone in the UK know of a reasonable alternative to the Trader Joe’s stuff?

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 20, 2010

I told ya…TJ’s SSB is a must buy/try!! :) Definitely not like homemade. I wonder how they get it so silky smooth.

Page 1 of 212»