Home Sweet Home

20100818IMG 2042 thumb   Home Sweet Home

Nothing is more relaxing than driving through the countryside after a busy week in the city! Eric and I love visiting cities on vacation, but we both agree we will never live in one again. Too much love for the countryside, rolling hills, and peace and quiet.

Let me rewind back to this morning!

We walked to breakfast, which turned into brunch when we discovered they were out of oatmeal at Kramer’s!

I munched on an apple on the walk there to curb my post-run hunger:

20100818IMG 6931 thumb   Home Sweet Home

I ordered a 1oz. Wheatgrass shot to start…

20100818IMG 6933 thumb   Home Sweet Home

20100818IMG 6937 thumb   Home Sweet Home

Eric got his beloved Sundried Goodness of Green sandwich!

20100818IMG 6939 thumb   Home Sweet Home

I tried the Falafel wrap.

20100818IMG 6940 thumb   Home Sweet Home

Oh MAN this was some good falafel!!! So spicy and crispy. Perfection.

20100818IMG 6941 thumb   Home Sweet Home

Along with onion, tomato, lettuce, and salsa (a sub for the non-vegan dressing). Yum, yum, and yum!

20100818IMG 6942 thumb   Home Sweet Home

If you are ever at Kramer’s I highly recommend the falafel!

And a banana for dessert:

20100818IMG 6943 thumb   Home Sweet Home

Back at the hotel, we packed healthy snacks for our flight home.

I packed an apple, Liberate Glo Bar, Mary’s Sticks + Twigs (from swag bag) and a side of LOVE! ;)

20100818IMG 2010 thumb   Home Sweet Home

I was not a fan of these sticks and Twigs! I ate them anyways as I was hungry but I would not buy them again. Quite bland. Maybe their other flavours are better?

20100818IMG 2011 thumb   Home Sweet Home

A great nutritional profile though…much better than the pretzels they were handing out on the plane! You can’t argue with 5 grams of protein, 5 grams of fibre and all natural whole grains.

20100818IMG 2013 thumb   Home Sweet Home

Mmmm!

20100818IMG 2015 thumb   Home Sweet Home

20100818IMG 2016 thumb   Home Sweet Home

I finally finished Eat Pray Love. Now I can see the movie!!! I hope it is good, but I’m not sure the movie can live up to the movie in my own mind. ;) Has anyone seen it?

20100818IMG 2017 thumb   Home Sweet Home

We supplemented our snacks with a salad from Sprigs Fresh Salads in the Midway airport.

20100818IMG 2020 thumb   Home Sweet Home

I got a build your own: Romaine, chickpeas x 2, tomato, cucumber, and green pepper.

20100818IMG 2021 thumb   Home Sweet Home

I was so excited when I saw that they had chickpeas because I knew they would keep me full while traveling.

20100818IMG 2022 thumb   Home Sweet Home

Our flight was hassle free and early to boot. No complaints with Southwest at all. We landed in Buffalo and had to find our car and hit the road for home. The border crossing this time going into Canada was super fast. It is so much easier to get into Canada than the US! Luckily they did not confiscate my food. ;)

Although we were good at preparing for lunch, it didn’t occur to us that we would be driving through dinner in rush hour traffic. Whoops. We didn’t have the healthiest dinner tonight, but at least we didn’t starve!

We shared this bag of almonds from the swag bag…

20100818IMG 2024 thumb   Home Sweet Home

And then this happened. I’m sure you can see where this went…

20100818IMG 2025 thumb   Home Sweet Home

Yes, I dipped dark chocolate into White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter and I’m not ashamed.

Belly ache ensued.

Swung by our CSA pickup on the way home…perfect timing! Now we have a fridge full of healthy goodies to start off the week right.

20100818IMG 0475 thumb   Home Sweet Home

MELONS!!!!!!!! This is a first!

20100818IMG 0476 thumb   Home Sweet Home

Corn on the cob. Very happy about this. My little BBQ Masta will have a field day with those.

20100818IMG 0477 thumb   Home Sweet Home

20100818IMG 0478 thumb   Home Sweet Home

Home sweet home!

20100818IMG 2041 thumb   Home Sweet Home

We had really quick toast and cereal dinners when we got home around 8pm. We were hungry, but not overly so.

I had toasted Ezekiel bread with hummus and tomato paste:

20100818IMG 0479 thumb   Home Sweet Home

And Nature’s Path Spelt Cereal with Almond Milk.

20100818IMG 0482 thumb   Home Sweet Home

And that’s a wrap!

I think a successful vacation is one that leaves you appreciating your normal, daily life. They are great while they last, but I have never been on a vacation where I did not think ‘I am so happy to be home’ when it was all said and done. There is no place like home. One thing is for sure, I am so excited to be able to cook my own food again. While I did have some amazing eats while away, I truly miss preparing meals in the kitchen. Vegan Overnight Oats are the first thing on my list!

I have anxious thoughts swirling through my mind about getting caught up on 1 week’s worth of Bakery orders, but I won’t worry about the future.

Right now, I have the rest of the evening to enjoy.

Marc-André from thefood.ca August 18, 2010

Cheers for that wheatgrass shot!

I saw the movie on Sunday as it was raining and raining here. I have not read the book yet tho. I really liked it and I keep thinking about it ever since. The ambiance made me think a lot of Under the Tuscan Sun.

Hope you like it too!

Sabina August 18, 2010

Welcome back! Welcome home!

Thanks for sharing so much about your trip. I’m glad that it turned out to be a true vacation. :-)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 18, 2010

I flew Southwest too–I love them!! You know what I also loved? LIBERATE!!! It was amazing, Angela. I’m in the I-love-it camp for sure. Welcome home :)

Dani @ Body By Nature August 18, 2010

Great book, good movie! It was enjoyable and will make you want to travel. Julia Roberts is fantastic. But I felt the movie was more for visual appeal then anything, still worth going though.

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 18, 2010

Glad to see you two got back safely! Good luck getting those orders out :) I’m sure you will do great!

Melissa August 18, 2010

After hearing of the amazing health benefits of wheatgrass, I bought a wheatgrass kit, where I grew my own wheatgrass and juiced it. The taste was way too strong for my liking and actually made me nauseous. Glad you had such wonderful experiences in Chicago! I wish they had more vegan restaurants like the ones you visited in my hometown (Memphis, TN).

Theresa August 18, 2010

I was disappointed by the movie :(
But the book was great :)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 18, 2010

Welcome home!

I do love being home, but traveling can be so much fun and exciting. And it looks like you had a great trip. And look at all that great produce! I am super jealous!

CathyK August 18, 2010

welcome home!
the movie is delightful, julia roberts was better than i anticipated and i enjoyed seeing the film version of the book. that being said, the book was still better – but the movie is worth a see!

JenATX August 18, 2010

chocolate dipped in PB sounds like a great dinner :) yummo

Tina August 18, 2010

I bet as fun as you had, you really feel good to be home. You’ll probably sleep like a baby in your own bed tonight!

Lauren @ 40Apples August 18, 2010

I always get crazy about wanting my own food again when I’ve been away too long. Travel food can be fun and exciting – but the novelty wears off soon enough. There’s just nothing like being able to make exactly what you want and know it’s healthy!

Estela @ Weekly Bite August 18, 2010

Its such a great feeling to be home after a vacation!

I read the book ‘Eat Pray Love’ when it was first released.. it was okay. I like it… but felt a little bored at times. Because of that… I have a feeling I will love the movie. Normally when I love the book, the movie bites…

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 18, 2010

I’m excited to see Eat Pray Love. I hope it’s as good as the book! I usually really like Julia Roberts movies, so I have high hopes!

Allison August 18, 2010

Welcome home sweet home..
Loved, loved the movie. Reading the book again.

lindsay (goodiesgalore) August 18, 2010

I’m sorry to say it but the movie was a bust. I know, big bummer.

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 18, 2010

I saw the movie last night and was incredibly moved. Having read the book as well, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the consistency between the two. And who can argue with Julia Roberts!

I love your quote: I think a successful vacation is one that leaves you appreciating your normal, daily life. So true!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 18, 2010

I do love coming home to my own house, food, and kitchen. I love going to restaurants and trying new things. But I LOVE my own food that I make.

Emily August 18, 2010

Welcome home!! Is there really anything better?? Glad you and Eric had such a great trip in Chicago and that he got to take a complete break from work, he deserves it!!!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 18, 2010

oooh great timing with the CSA delivery!!!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 18, 2010

I liked the book better than the movie–naturally. The Rome part of the movie was amazing, then after that was just ok.

Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward August 18, 2010

I completely agree with you about vacations. I always know it was good one when I’m ready to come home and face reality again!

Wei-Wei August 18, 2010

No place like home! Glad you make it safely. I think that chocolate dipped in white chocolate PB sounds like a perfect dinner. ;) Do you have any tips for packing eats on the go?

The Wife of a Dairyman August 18, 2010

It DOES feel so good when arriving home from vacation doesn’t it?! Getting back into a normal routine, your own bed, get unpacked and laundry going….I love that first day (or night) home:)

Kristy @ KristyRuns.com August 18, 2010

Welcome home! Wow. Seeing photos of the country-side makes me want to move out of my bustling city into a more quaint area. We’re seriously considering it. :) A place where you can’t hear the sounds of the interstate at night? That exists? ;)

Megan (Braise The Roof) August 18, 2010

I’m so glad you had a good time in Chicago! And I’m with you on Southwest- I tend to have good experiences flying with them. Welcome back home!

Judy August 18, 2010

Thanks for sharing your pictures from Chicago! What a beautiful city.

I read the book several months ago and saw the movie on the weekend. I thought they were both excellent.

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 18, 2010

Enjoy settling back into your normal groove. Also, many kudos to you for dunking the chocolate in WCW Peanut Butter. I would’ve done the same, it’s the ultimate combo!

Mallory @ Little Miss Locavore August 18, 2010

Ooh, the first melon of the CSA just got me all excited for them to be in season here. I love me some melon.

Caitlin August 18, 2010

Read the book. Saw the movie. Loved both very much.

Also I have now made two trips to the kitchen to snack on Dark Chocolate Dreams after seeing your tweet – ahh it’s so addicting!

Adina August 18, 2010

Welcome back home :) !
There’s no better feeling than returning to the most comforting places, a.k.a home sweet home! I’m so glad that you and Eric had a wonderful trip to the windy city.

P.S dark Chocolate with PB is the bomb !

mm August 18, 2010

When we drove to Alaska (from South Carolina) in May we actually had a much harder time getting into Canada then we did getting from Canada into Alaska. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we are not Canadian citizens, or possibly that we had everything we owned in 2 cars and a giant UHAUL van? hmmm… We were crossing into Saskatchewan from North Dakota, so it’s not like it was a busy border, but it took us over an hour. We had to park our vehicles and go in to be interviewed by the border guards (in separate rooms, one at a time). We are a military family and the Canadian border guards just did NOT believe we didn’t have guns with us. At least 4 different guards asked me at separate times if we had guns with us, or if we were shipping any to our final destination. Everyone was very friendly, but it was the most intense border crossing I’ve ever been through! Going into Alaska from the Yukon Territory – breezed right through. :)

mm August 18, 2010

Oh, and I like to dip my dark chocolate Adora disks into White Chocolate Wonderful for “dessert”. :)

Carla August 18, 2010

Loved the movie. Make sure you eat before you see it. It will make you hungry.

Sheila Viers | Live Well 360 August 18, 2010

Glad to hear you guys are home safe and sound!

1) I am scared to see Eat Pray Love, because a lot of people have been telling me it’s not as good as the book. :-(

2) Those sticks and twigs gave me a tummy ache. Toom much fiber??

3) Tomorrow morning I am having oats in a jar with my empty TJ Sunflower Butter jar. Can’t wait!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete August 18, 2010

I just bought those pretzels the other day. They were seriously a letdown! I was really upset since I can’t eat real pretzels b/c of my gluten intolerance. There is one more brand of GF pretzels that I want to try, and if they aren’t good I’m giving up!

Emily August 18, 2010

“Eat Pray Love” is one of my all-time favorite books, and I was so nervous to see the movie for the exact same reason you are! However, a friend convinced me to go to the midnight show when it first came out, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED it. And I want to go to Bali. :) Go see it. It’s great.

Stacie August 18, 2010

Glad to see you and Eric made it home safely. What a wonderful time you had in Chi-town!..including the HLS with your husband to boot! So cool that he went with you and you guys turned it into a vaca. Thanks for the yummy eat recommendations always good to note and now know of a few more things to pick up at T.J’s—-tomorrow :)

Gillian G. August 18, 2010

Good to hear you got back alright & with food in tact – especially that white chocolate wonderful. Btw – that stuff makes AMAZING oatmeal cookies. I highly recommend it.

I also wanted to tell you I made that basil-tomato-crouton bake you made a few weeks ago and it was a HUGE hit with my fam! i’m going to make it again and add eggplant :) thank you!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 19, 2010

i know what you mean about city living…i don’t think i could do the country, but cities aren’t my thing either. i’m definitely a proud fan of American suburbia :)

JL Goes Vegan August 19, 2010

Welcome home! I agree, nothing like having good and healthy food in your house when returning from travel.

Page 1 of 212»