Home Sweet Home

20100818-IMG_2042

Nothing is more relaxing than driving through the countryside after a busy week in the city! Eric and I love visiting cities on vacation, but we both agree we will never live in one again. Too much love for the countryside, rolling hills, and peace and quiet.

Let me rewind back to this morning!

We walked to breakfast, which turned into brunch when we discovered they were out of oatmeal at Kramer’s!

I munched on an apple on the walk there to curb my post-run hunger:

20100818-IMG_6931

I ordered a 1oz. Wheatgrass shot to start…

20100818-IMG_6933

20100818-IMG_6937

Eric got his beloved Sundried Goodness of Green sandwich!

20100818-IMG_6939

I tried the Falafel wrap.

20100818-IMG_6940

Oh MAN this was some good falafel!!! So spicy and crispy. Perfection.

20100818-IMG_6941

Along with onion, tomato, lettuce, and salsa (a sub for the non-vegan dressing). Yum, yum, and yum!

20100818-IMG_6942

If you are ever at Kramer’s I highly recommend the falafel!

And a banana for dessert:

20100818-IMG_6943

Back at the hotel, we packed healthy snacks for our flight home.

I packed an apple, Liberate Glo Bar, Mary’s Sticks + Twigs (from swag bag) and a side of LOVE! ;)

20100818-IMG_2010

I was not a fan of these sticks and Twigs! I ate them anyways as I was hungry but I would not buy them again. Quite bland. Maybe their other flavours are better?

20100818-IMG_2011

A great nutritional profile though…much better than the pretzels they were handing out on the plane! You can’t argue with 5 grams of protein, 5 grams of fibre and all natural whole grains.

20100818-IMG_2013

Mmmm!

20100818-IMG_2015

20100818-IMG_2016

I finally finished Eat Pray Love. Now I can see the movie!!! I hope it is good, but I’m not sure the movie can live up to the movie in my own mind. ;) Has anyone seen it?

20100818-IMG_2017

We supplemented our snacks with a salad from Sprigs Fresh Salads in the Midway airport.

20100818-IMG_2020

I got a build your own: Romaine, chickpeas x 2, tomato, cucumber, and green pepper.

20100818-IMG_2021

I was so excited when I saw that they had chickpeas because I knew they would keep me full while traveling.

20100818-IMG_2022

Our flight was hassle free and early to boot. No complaints with Southwest at all. We landed in Buffalo and had to find our car and hit the road for home. The border crossing this time going into Canada was super fast. It is so much easier to get into Canada than the US! Luckily they did not confiscate my food. ;)

Although we were good at preparing for lunch, it didn’t occur to us that we would be driving through dinner in rush hour traffic. Whoops. We didn’t have the healthiest dinner tonight, but at least we didn’t starve!

We shared this bag of almonds from the swag bag…

20100818-IMG_2024

And then this happened. I’m sure you can see where this went…

20100818-IMG_2025

Yes, I dipped dark chocolate into White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter and I’m not ashamed.

Belly ache ensued.

Swung by our CSA pickup on the way home…perfect timing! Now we have a fridge full of healthy goodies to start off the week right.

20100818-IMG_0475

MELONS!!!!!!!! This is a first!

20100818-IMG_0476

Corn on the cob. Very happy about this. My little BBQ Masta will have a field day with those.

20100818-IMG_0477

20100818-IMG_0478

Home sweet home!

20100818-IMG_2041

We had really quick toast and cereal dinners when we got home around 8pm. We were hungry, but not overly so.

I had toasted Ezekiel bread with hummus and tomato paste:

20100818-IMG_0479

And Nature’s Path Spelt Cereal with Almond Milk.

20100818-IMG_0482

And that’s a wrap!

I think a successful vacation is one that leaves you appreciating your normal, daily life. They are great while they last, but I have never been on a vacation where I did not think ‘I am so happy to be home’ when it was all said and done. There is no place like home. One thing is for sure, I am so excited to be able to cook my own food again. While I did have some amazing eats while away, I truly miss preparing meals in the kitchen. Vegan Overnight Oats are the first thing on my list!

I have anxious thoughts swirling through my mind about getting caught up on 1 week’s worth of Bakery orders, but I won’t worry about the future.

Right now, I have the rest of the evening to enjoy.

1 Marc-André from thefood.ca August 18, 2010

Cheers for that wheatgrass shot!

I saw the movie on Sunday as it was raining and raining here. I have not read the book yet tho. I really liked it and I keep thinking about it ever since. The ambiance made me think a lot of Under the Tuscan Sun.

Hope you like it too!

2 Sabina August 18, 2010

Welcome back! Welcome home!

Thanks for sharing so much about your trip. I’m glad that it turned out to be a true vacation. :-)

3 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 18, 2010

I flew Southwest too–I love them!! You know what I also loved? LIBERATE!!! It was amazing, Angela. I’m in the I-love-it camp for sure. Welcome home :)

4 Dani @ Body By Nature August 18, 2010

Great book, good movie! It was enjoyable and will make you want to travel. Julia Roberts is fantastic. But I felt the movie was more for visual appeal then anything, still worth going though.

5 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 18, 2010

Glad to see you two got back safely! Good luck getting those orders out :) I’m sure you will do great!

6 Melissa August 18, 2010

After hearing of the amazing health benefits of wheatgrass, I bought a wheatgrass kit, where I grew my own wheatgrass and juiced it. The taste was way too strong for my liking and actually made me nauseous. Glad you had such wonderful experiences in Chicago! I wish they had more vegan restaurants like the ones you visited in my hometown (Memphis, TN).

7 Theresa August 18, 2010

I was disappointed by the movie :(
But the book was great :)

8 holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 18, 2010

Welcome home!

I do love being home, but traveling can be so much fun and exciting. And it looks like you had a great trip. And look at all that great produce! I am super jealous!

9 CathyK August 18, 2010

welcome home!
the movie is delightful, julia roberts was better than i anticipated and i enjoyed seeing the film version of the book. that being said, the book was still better – but the movie is worth a see!

10 JenATX August 18, 2010

chocolate dipped in PB sounds like a great dinner :) yummo

11 Tina August 18, 2010

I bet as fun as you had, you really feel good to be home. You’ll probably sleep like a baby in your own bed tonight!

12 Lauren @ 40Apples August 18, 2010

I always get crazy about wanting my own food again when I’ve been away too long. Travel food can be fun and exciting – but the novelty wears off soon enough. There’s just nothing like being able to make exactly what you want and know it’s healthy!

13 Estela @ Weekly Bite August 18, 2010

Its such a great feeling to be home after a vacation!

I read the book ‘Eat Pray Love’ when it was first released.. it was okay. I like it… but felt a little bored at times. Because of that… I have a feeling I will love the movie. Normally when I love the book, the movie bites…

14 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 18, 2010

I’m excited to see Eat Pray Love. I hope it’s as good as the book! I usually really like Julia Roberts movies, so I have high hopes!

15 Allison August 18, 2010

Welcome home sweet home..
Loved, loved the movie. Reading the book again.

16 lindsay (goodiesgalore) August 18, 2010

I’m sorry to say it but the movie was a bust. I know, big bummer.

17 Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 18, 2010

I saw the movie last night and was incredibly moved. Having read the book as well, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the consistency between the two. And who can argue with Julia Roberts!

I love your quote: I think a successful vacation is one that leaves you appreciating your normal, daily life. So true!

18 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 18, 2010

I do love coming home to my own house, food, and kitchen. I love going to restaurants and trying new things. But I LOVE my own food that I make.

19 Emily August 18, 2010

Welcome home!! Is there really anything better?? Glad you and Eric had such a great trip in Chicago and that he got to take a complete break from work, he deserves it!!!

20 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 18, 2010

oooh great timing with the CSA delivery!!!

21 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 18, 2010

I liked the book better than the movie–naturally. The Rome part of the movie was amazing, then after that was just ok.

22 Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward August 18, 2010

I completely agree with you about vacations. I always know it was good one when I’m ready to come home and face reality again!

23 Wei-Wei August 18, 2010

No place like home! Glad you make it safely. I think that chocolate dipped in white chocolate PB sounds like a perfect dinner. ;) Do you have any tips for packing eats on the go?

24 The Wife of a Dairyman August 18, 2010

It DOES feel so good when arriving home from vacation doesn’t it?! Getting back into a normal routine, your own bed, get unpacked and laundry going….I love that first day (or night) home:)

25 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com August 18, 2010

Welcome home! Wow. Seeing photos of the country-side makes me want to move out of my bustling city into a more quaint area. We’re seriously considering it. :) A place where you can’t hear the sounds of the interstate at night? That exists? ;)

26 Megan (Braise The Roof) August 18, 2010

I’m so glad you had a good time in Chicago! And I’m with you on Southwest- I tend to have good experiences flying with them. Welcome back home!

27 Judy August 18, 2010

Thanks for sharing your pictures from Chicago! What a beautiful city.

I read the book several months ago and saw the movie on the weekend. I thought they were both excellent.

28 Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 18, 2010

Enjoy settling back into your normal groove. Also, many kudos to you for dunking the chocolate in WCW Peanut Butter. I would’ve done the same, it’s the ultimate combo!

29 Mallory @ Little Miss Locavore August 18, 2010

Ooh, the first melon of the CSA just got me all excited for them to be in season here. I love me some melon.

30 Caitlin August 18, 2010

Read the book. Saw the movie. Loved both very much.

Also I have now made two trips to the kitchen to snack on Dark Chocolate Dreams after seeing your tweet – ahh it’s so addicting!

31 Adina August 18, 2010

Welcome back home :) !
There’s no better feeling than returning to the most comforting places, a.k.a home sweet home! I’m so glad that you and Eric had a wonderful trip to the windy city.

P.S dark Chocolate with PB is the bomb !

32 mm August 18, 2010

When we drove to Alaska (from South Carolina) in May we actually had a much harder time getting into Canada then we did getting from Canada into Alaska. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we are not Canadian citizens, or possibly that we had everything we owned in 2 cars and a giant UHAUL van? hmmm… We were crossing into Saskatchewan from North Dakota, so it’s not like it was a busy border, but it took us over an hour. We had to park our vehicles and go in to be interviewed by the border guards (in separate rooms, one at a time). We are a military family and the Canadian border guards just did NOT believe we didn’t have guns with us. At least 4 different guards asked me at separate times if we had guns with us, or if we were shipping any to our final destination. Everyone was very friendly, but it was the most intense border crossing I’ve ever been through! Going into Alaska from the Yukon Territory – breezed right through. :)

33 mm August 18, 2010

Oh, and I like to dip my dark chocolate Adora disks into White Chocolate Wonderful for “dessert”. :)

34 Carla August 18, 2010

Loved the movie. Make sure you eat before you see it. It will make you hungry.

35 Sheila Viers | Live Well 360 August 18, 2010

Glad to hear you guys are home safe and sound!

1) I am scared to see Eat Pray Love, because a lot of people have been telling me it’s not as good as the book. :-(

2) Those sticks and twigs gave me a tummy ache. Toom much fiber??

3) Tomorrow morning I am having oats in a jar with my empty TJ Sunflower Butter jar. Can’t wait!

36 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete August 18, 2010

I just bought those pretzels the other day. They were seriously a letdown! I was really upset since I can’t eat real pretzels b/c of my gluten intolerance. There is one more brand of GF pretzels that I want to try, and if they aren’t good I’m giving up!

37 Emily August 18, 2010

“Eat Pray Love” is one of my all-time favorite books, and I was so nervous to see the movie for the exact same reason you are! However, a friend convinced me to go to the midnight show when it first came out, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED it. And I want to go to Bali. :) Go see it. It’s great.

38 Stacie August 18, 2010

Glad to see you and Eric made it home safely. What a wonderful time you had in Chi-town!..including the HLS with your husband to boot! So cool that he went with you and you guys turned it into a vaca. Thanks for the yummy eat recommendations always good to note and now know of a few more things to pick up at T.J’s—-tomorrow :)

39 Gillian G. August 18, 2010

Good to hear you got back alright & with food in tact – especially that white chocolate wonderful. Btw – that stuff makes AMAZING oatmeal cookies. I highly recommend it.

I also wanted to tell you I made that basil-tomato-crouton bake you made a few weeks ago and it was a HUGE hit with my fam! i’m going to make it again and add eggplant :) thank you!

40 Heather (Heather's Dish) August 19, 2010

i know what you mean about city living…i don’t think i could do the country, but cities aren’t my thing either. i’m definitely a proud fan of American suburbia :)

41 JL Goes Vegan August 19, 2010

Welcome home! I agree, nothing like having good and healthy food in your house when returning from travel.

42 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs August 19, 2010

Oh you didn’t like the sticks and twigs? I had mine on the plane too and loved them :p
Btw – I had my first Glo Bar today – LOVED IT!!! You are very talented :)

43 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 19, 2010

It looks so beautiful where you live.

44 Stacey @ The Habit of Healthy August 19, 2010

Home Sweet Home – you can’t beat it!!

It looks really lovely where you live and your CSA’s look amazing.

45 Gena August 19, 2010

It’s nice to come home, isn’t it? Even if one has had a perfect trip. I personally enjoy hummus sammie homecomings, too.

Miss you already, friend.

46 Lauren August 19, 2010

I just finished the book and LOVED it but I heard the movie is definitely not as good. :( Oh well, Roberts still looks beautiful in the previews and I think she will play the part wonderfully. Glad you guys made it home safe! ;)

47 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 19, 2010

Welcome home!!! Glad you have an amazing stay there and flight back home. :) Oh, and I might have to steal your dark chocolate in the WCW! I have some white chocolate round here somewhere..I bet it’d be soooo much better dipped in Dark Chocolate Dreams! haha :D

48 Cindy August 19, 2010

I watched the movie yesterday and loved it! Definitely a perfect choice for a girl’s night out.

49 Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 19, 2010

I love home and vacations definitely do the same to me. Make me appreciate my structured life. There’s nothing so great as a good home life.

I do love a good vacation though and that’s a fact!

50 Karen August 19, 2010

I saw the movie last weekend with my best friend Kerri. We both read the book last year. We enjoyed the movie, but it was missing so much of the book. Obviously you can’t make the entire book into a movie because it would be way too long, but… I was slightly disappointed that some parts were skipped. However I will say that for the next few days I just dreamed about Javier Bardem calling me ‘darling’. Ahhh…so nice! After the movie Kerri and I sat outside and talked for 2 hours about what we want for our lives. It was a great conversation.

51 Heather @ Side of Sneakers August 19, 2010

Glad you had such a fun-filled trip!!! :)

52 Kim August 19, 2010

Those pretzels look like a great vehicle for hummus or nut butters though! That would certainly help with their plain-ness!

Good luck getting caught up on your bakery orders! At least you don’t have the Farmer’s Market to worry about anymore!

53 Lauren M. August 19, 2010

I saw the movie the other night. I was sorely disappointed. SO MUCH was left out that I feel like it wouldn’t have made sense to anyone unless they read the book. I was really really bored the entire two hours and so was my sister and boyfriend. But that’s just me…

on another note, I LOVE peanut butter and co.’s products. So decadent.

54 Jodi August 19, 2010

Hey Angela…

I saw the movie – it was good but as a huge fan of the book, it just wasnt’ the same. worth seeing but they had to leave lots out and one of the best parts of the book for me is Liz’s internal diaglouge which just doesn’t translate as well in the movie.

seeing those beautiful places on the big screen is worth it though!!

glad you had a great trip!!

55 Faith August 19, 2010

I just saw the movie-very long!

I actually didn’t read the book before, so I thought the movie was okay. If I had read the book, I think I’d be disappointed. :(

56 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 19, 2010

I love visiting the city, but when it comes to buying a house I want peace and quiet and a nice backyard. My husband is a country boy at heart, too.

57 banandrea August 19, 2010

I love to travel but there’s something about the comforts of home that make me breathe a sigh of relief when I return from a trip! I saw “Eat Pray Love” last weekend and absolutely LOVED it, but I haven’t read the book and I’m not sure how that would have affected my experience. I am, however, inspired to read the book now- the message really hit home and I love the way in which it was delivered- plus the scenery and Javier Bardem are gorgeous :) heehee

58 AdrienneCarolyn August 19, 2010

I’ve read the book and seen the movie…Books are ALWAYS better than the movies but I think the movie was really cute and the scenery and soundtrack are great. I almost cried like three times during the India part.
Plus there are cute boys in the movie!! James Franco, the cute Italian guy, and Javier Bardem..yumma :-)

59 Tanya @ Life with the Kummerow August 19, 2010

Can’t wait to try that White Chocolate Peanut Butter. I have had the dark chocolate and it was so GOOD! Nice find! It was fun to follow your trip to Chicago. I will probably be there over Labor Day and can’t wait to try Karyn’s!

60 alicia August 19, 2010

wanted to order some glo bars and the shipping was almost as much as the 10 bars!!!!!!!! Disappointing:(

61 Camille August 19, 2010

Gorgeous countryside!
It is a lovely contrast to all the Chicago photos :)

62 Beth @ DiningAndDishing August 19, 2010

I know what you mean. Vacations are lovely, but being excited to come home is when you know you’ve truly found a place you love :).

63 schmei August 19, 2010

Thanks for the fun and food tour of my fair city! Your vacation made me appreciate my home a bit more… especially Kramer’s. I shouldn’t take that place for granted!

Welcome home and good luck with all the catch-up. The first day back to work after a vacation is probably my least favorite part of getting away…

64 Amber K August 19, 2010

It’s true, it definitely feels great to get back home!

65 Sami August 19, 2010

welcome home, love! i just LOVE knowing there’s a bunch of healthy goodies stocked in my fridge. BEST feeling ever! i swear, it’s the little things :)

66 callah August 19, 2010

Do you know what the leafy green things are this week? I have no idea! (not the bagged ones, the loose ones beside the corn in the picture!)

67 Lisa August 19, 2010

I loved “Eat Pray Love” (the book). I read it at a time in my life when I was going through some hard things. It helped a lot. I haven’t seen the movie yet!

68 Lucy August 19, 2010

Eat Pray Love is one of my favorite reads if not my absolute favorite. My own story has many similarities. I hosted a day retreat for my girlfriends last weekend in honor of the movie release. We went to a vinyasa class in the morning (pray), made real Neapolitan pizza (eat) and drank Bali-inspired cocktails over a book discussion (love). We all went to see the movie together that evening and I had very high hopes. Very few movies live up to the books that inspire them. But this one did. We all loved it. It was a beautiful day :)

69 betsy August 19, 2010

Ok, just something funny….did you position that banana there on purpose?? :) just thought I would throw something in there that no one else had.
Glad you had a great trip :)

70 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 19, 2010

Glad you made it home safe!

Wish I could have spent more time hanging out with you at HLS. Too many bloggers, too little time I guess;) Next year!

I totally agree about coming home after vacation. I am always happy to be back. I also totally agree about the Mary’s twigs – I had the curry flavor, and I was not a fan at all.

Lastly, you’ve gotta check out my glo bar story if you get a chance:) http://chiaseedme.com/?p=2085

71 The Vegan Tiffin August 19, 2010

I really agree with your statement: “I think a successful vacation is one that leaves you appreciating your normal, daily life.” So true for me, too!

72 amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) August 19, 2010

I really enjoyed the movie (Eat Pray Love)
It reminded me to always follow your heart, life is to short!

Enjoy!!

73 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair August 19, 2010

Totally agree! You know the vacation was successful and the perfect length if you’re ready and happy to be home at the end :)

74 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life August 20, 2010

Hi Angela! I am so happy that I got to meet you at the HLS! :)

I actually have a question about Ezekiel bread. I recently bought a loaf but I don’t know if I should leave it in the freezer and take out one slice at a time, or defrost the whole thing. What do you do? I’m afraid that if I defrost the whole loaf it will go bad before I can use it. Are you able to toast the bread while it is still frozen?

Thanks!

75 Jocelyn August 24, 2010

loved reading all of your HLS updates :)
I have the curry flavored mary’s twigs..they are pretty good! I also went to see eat pray love for my birthday…it made me tear up at parts :) I think all women should go see it!