Foodie Pack Rat

That is what Eric called me when he saw the huge bag of food I am bringing home!

We have had such a great getaway to Chicago. Eric says that it was the first time in a long time that he has truly disconnected from work- no cell, no email, no pager. He said it was such a nice rest! I am happy for him because he has been working like crazy lately. I am trying not to think about the 350 Glo Bars that I have in cue for me when I get home! It is going to be a crazy Thursday + Friday and then we hit the road again to visit family for the weekend.

Sooooooooo, what souvenirs does a food, baking, and cooking obsessed gal bring home from a great city like Chicago? Let us take a gander…

20100817-IMG_6900

Have you ever tried any of these foods??? :)

20100817-IMG_6903

20100817-IMG_6904

I’m very excited to try this White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter!!!!

20100817-IMG_6905

I bought the Amazing Grass sample from Whole Foods and I am going to use it on the plane today to mix in with my water.

And this Himalayan Sea Salt on the far right that I have heard so much about!

20100817-IMG_6908

Also VERY excited to try these TJ’s dried banana slices! I heard they are amazing spread with nut butter. :)

20100817-IMG_6910

I noticed that the prices in the Chicago Whole Foods were so much cheaper than the Whole Foods in Oakville and Toronto!! Just for example, the Artisana Coconut Butter was $6 cheaper in the Chicago Whole Foods than in Oakville/Toronto. Crazy!! I was going to buy one, but Eric reminded me that my suitcase was already pretty heavy from the other food. :(

Food kill. :(

I also got this super cute twig spoon + knife set from Anthropologie.

20100817-IMG_6925

Vegan overnight oats here we come!!!!

20100817-IMG_6926

Back to last night!

Shortly after hitting publish, I crashed on the bed and Eric and I slept for a solid 45 minutes. I am not a napper by any means so when I do crash, I know I really need it. I felt so much better when I got up!

We headed out for a late dinner around 8pm.

On our way, we came across the set for the next Transformer’s movie!!!

20100817-IMG_0427

20100817-IMG_0429

The Transformer’s crew member shattered the dream of a 6 year old in a 28 year old’s body. He saw Eric going to touch the fake cement and he said ‘come on man’ and just shook his head in disappointment.  I giggled profusely and made fun of Eric for getting in trouble. He was crushed to say the least.

20100817-IMG_0430

For dinner, we were not up for anything crazy so we went to the closest and easiest place by our hotel- Argo Tea! We love this place. Eric and I are both total tea lovers so it is a match made in heaven.

I tried the Hibiscus tea this time and it was delicious!

20100817-IMG_0440

I had the chickpea salad for the second time and it was still as awesome as I remembered it. ;)

20100817-IMG_0437

Eric had chicken and basil, tomato, and mozza sandwiches that he adores.

20100817-IMG_0439

We are very impressed with Argo Tea. Everything is well done from the healthy food options to the creative and unique teas that are offered. The atmosphere is also wonderful, spacious, and cozy complete with desks for laptops!

20100817-IMG_0453

Argo Tea would do WONDERFULLY in Toronto!! Right now it is only in Chicago and New York, I believe.

Then we went to the lakeshore to get some pictures.

Beautiful cityscape at night. :)

20100817-IMG_0463

This morning we decided to go on a run-bike outing along lakeshore!

We split an Empower Glo Bar (from the swag bag!) and an orange for pre-exercise fuel. :)

20100817-IMG_6916

Empower is one of my favourite flavours so I was very excited to eat it finally!

Along with a conference orange..

20100817-IMG_6914

20100817-IMG_6915

And some Herbal lemon verbana geranium herbal water (also from the swag bag!). It was wonderful! Very herbal tasting. No added sugars or artificial ingredients.

20100817-IMG_6913

Then we set off for a 4 mile run along Lakeshore around 8am. It was gorgeous outside…nice and cool!

Eric rented a bike!!!!!

20100818-IMG_1995

He was NOT impressed with the basket on the front! Oh my gosh we laughed so hard. He kept making me giggle on the run with his antics.

20100818-IMG_1996

One last trip down the gorgeous lakefront path! So sad to leave it.

20100818-IMG_1997

20100818-IMG_1998

20100818-IMG_1999

20100818-IMG_2002

20100818-IMG_2007

20100818-IMG_2003

20100818-IMG_2004

Bye bye Chicago, it was a wonderful vacation! :)

We did 4 miles in 35 minutes. We are heading out to breakfast now and then packing up and hitting the airport. I will see you tonight! :)

Page 3 of 3«123
Rita August 23, 2010

Thanks for visting and mentioning Argo Tea! We are thrilled to let you know that you can now purchase Signature Argo Tea bottled drinks at Pusateri’s in Toronto: 1539 Avenue Rd or 57 Yorkville Ave!

Kath August 22, 2010

OMG, I thought that Transformers set was REAL at first!!

Gorgeous sky shots :)

Rachel August 20, 2010

I impulse bought the White Chocolate Wonderful after running across some in Sobey’s the other day. Loved the first few bites, but it was awfully sweet! I don’t eat any nut butters with sugar in them, so I think it was a bit of a shock. :) I bought some of their maple peanut butter when I was at the Peanut Butter & Co store in NYC and it was tasty. Too easy to eat, though!

Summer @ Simple Healthy Real August 19, 2010

I just found Trader Joe’s Just Mango too. Love, love, love!!!

Veronique @ Hooked on Health August 19, 2010

It looks like you had a great trip! This makes me super jealous of the availability of specialty foods compared to over here in Ottawa :(…. There is nothing close to what Chicago has to offer. There is the Farmer’s market which is great, but there are barely any specialty cafés and restaurants that focus on healthy, organic foods. I must visit Chicago one day :)
Thanks for sharing all the lovely things that the windy city has to offer!

Jeanne August 18, 2010

The flattened bananas are great in oatmeal (never had them in ONO but suspect they’ll be great in that too). Also the sunflower seed butter, chocolate and Amazing greens. Surprisingly, my favorite of the three is the sunflower seed butter! Enjoy your treasures!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 18, 2010

Aww! How fun!

I’m a foodie pack rat too. I don’t know why but I can’t help getting the cool looking foods!

Molly August 18, 2010

You will absolutely LOVE the white chocolate wonderful peanut butter. I could literally just eat spoonfuls of it it is so delicous. Looks like you had such a great time in chicago!

Mimi August 18, 2010

A couple of my friends saw Shia LeBouf filming the Transformers movie in Chicago. It’s so cool that the set is around for just anyone to see (even if you can’t touch it)!

amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) August 18, 2010

Great pics yet again!! You are such a light!!

Molly @ MollyRunsFresh August 18, 2010

I love, love, love reading your blog. You and Eric always seem to be on an adventure whether it’s traveling or out on a bike/run! Your goodies look scrum-diddly-umptious. I’m so jealous of bloggers who have Whole Foods near them!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 18, 2010

Haha if I went to the US, I would be bringing back at least that much stuff too! It sucks how everything is more expensive in Canada. But I found the Artisana Coconut Butter for only $10 at a health food store in Kensington Market!! I unfortunately don’t remember the name, but it’s on Augusta right across from Baldwin St. :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? August 18, 2010

Isnt Trader Joe’s awesome!! I have yet to buy something there that I didnt love.

Im always amazed by how much better the prices are in the states. I mean, I got a GOOD bottle of wine for $5.99, and it wasnt even the cheapest bottle there. So not fair!

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy August 18, 2010

Looooove the TJs super dark chocolate!! Mmmmmmmm!
That uis some serious food loot. Awesome!
Glad you guys enjoyed Chi. I live in a suburb of it and we love our city!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 18, 2010

haha I love that bike with the basket!! TOO FUNNY :)

Laura August 18, 2010

I love the white choc. PB!!

Random question – ever go to David’s Tea in Toronto? We have one in Moncton too, and I love it! They just came out with a new Sencha collection – pricey, but I want to try all of them!!

katrina m August 18, 2010

wow, so i’ve been to chicago numerous times (live in wisconsin) and you make it look SO PRETTY! haha :) i’m glad you guys had such a great trip!! safe travels home!

Bee August 18, 2010

White Chocolate Wonderful is the best peanut butter I’ve ever tasted! I’m from Ontario and I can purchase it at a local specialty grocery store. It’s delicious! Unfortunately, the store is experimenting with other flavours like cinnamon raisin and crunchy, so no white chocolate wonderful. :(

Alycia [Fit n Fresh] August 18, 2010

Seriously you are really making me miss Chicago! I need to go back like STAT!! Can’t we just have an HLS every month? Pleaseeeee?

Stephanie August 18, 2010

I know you know this, but you’re in this month’s VegNews magazine!! I was so excited to see your name (page 41).

Congrats!!!!!!

Neen @ Broad Bean to Runner Bean August 18, 2010

Aww it looks like you had an amazing time in chigaco – i need a holiday soo bad and your little vacay looked perfect i’m very jealous! have a safe trip home. x

katie August 18, 2010

white chocolate wonderful and the sunflower seed butter are easily the two tastiest things i’ve put in my mouth!!! so incredibly addicting…watch out!

chelsey August 18, 2010

I LOVE TJ’s sunbutter! It is so good. I just finished my jar – I need a new one, stat!

I am so glad you enjoyed Chicago – have a safe trip back home!

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes August 18, 2010

Chicago is fabulous! Glad you enjoyed this wonderful city!!!

Jen August 18, 2010

That peanut butter is amazing. It comes from a Peanut Butter little cafe in New York, Peanut Butter & co: http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/index.php/sandwichshop

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 18, 2010

Looks like a wonderful way to end your trip- the Transformer’s set looks so cool!! I haven’t heard of Argo Tea, but I can’t wait to check it out once I’m back in the city this year. Have a safe trip home!

sassy molassy August 18, 2010

I LOVE TJ’s just mango slices. They are the best! AH, I miss Chicago. Such a fabulous city.

Hillary August 18, 2010

You’re so photogenic!! Thanks for sharing your Chicago trip with us :)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun August 18, 2010

Look at all those delicious souvineers! I wanna go to Chicago – the TJs near me is so tiny it doesn’t carry half the stuff I see people in blogworld talk about! :-?

Kate@andwhenshesays August 18, 2010

Ohmygoodness Teavana…I have that exact bag in my cupboard right now. It is TO DIE FOR, hot or iced. Yum yum yum. So glad you had a wonderful time here in Chicago – wish we’d had a chance to meet at HLS, but there is always next year. :)

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness August 18, 2010

Gorgeous photos of Chicago! And LOL – I would have wanted to touch something from the Transformers set, too. It’s so neat that you guys were able to get so close.

Watch out for that White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter… it’s severely addictive!

Anne August 18, 2010

I’ve tried a couple of those foods on my trips to the states. Amazing grass saved my immune system in California for sure, and justin’s squeeze packs are awesome!

As for the pb&co and tj’s nut butters, you need’nt have added all that extra weight to your suitcase! Several stores in the GTA have pb&co (off the top of my head, Noah’s, but also some metros in the natural & organic sections). As for TJ’s nut butters, I know a lot of them are the same as Bulk Barn. If you look on the label, you’ll see that a lot of the TJ’s nut butters are produced in Canada!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 18, 2010

Rockin stash of goodiies! I haven’t tried that nut butter but want to badly.

Valerie August 18, 2010

The flattened bananas look/sound delicious! Some of the dark chocolates look like the stuff my dad picks up, but I don’t know for sure. My friends LOVE Teavana, so I’m sure whatever you got is good :) Love the twig spoon and knife set. Never been to Anthropologie but I’ve heard they have some great things… will definitely invest when I move off campus next year!

That’s so cool that you saw the set of Transformers! Too funny about Eric. Glad you had such a fun trip!

Sana August 18, 2010

Aww poor Eric!!! I hope you have a safe trip home!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels August 18, 2010

jealous jealous jealous jealous . . . one more . . . jealous . . . of your food haul!

and further more, I believe that some very lucky housekeeping staff found an Empower Glo Bar in room 864 and is now eating it, because I cannot find the one from the swag bag, I blame Brad because I swear I gave it to him to put in his backpack for the plane ride . . . booooooooo

actually you know what, Brad probably ran into the bathroom so he could eat the whole thing for himself and then hide the evidence while I was packing to go home

Cynthia August 18, 2010

I LOVE the whote chocolate peanut butter. I am completely addicted to it. You’ll love it!