Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Good morning!

Karyn’s on Green was lots of fun! Gosh, I wish this restaurant was in my area. They make the best vegan food I have ever tried. Yes, it’s true. I was lucky to be able to sample several dishes and everything I tried was spot on perfection.

20100814-IMG_6331

We had the upstairs lounge reserved and it was very swanky inside.

20100814-IMG_6333

A large group of about 35-40 of us!

20100814-IMG_6387

Several husbands came too! Score. ;)

After looking over their amazing drink menu, I was swept away by the moment and decided a classic martini sounded so fabulous.

20100814-IMG_6349-2

We had three bartenders/servers.

20100814-IMG_6361

This classic martini was made up of Plymouth Gin, Lillet Blanc, Angostura orange, lemon peel.

It was strong and I could only sip 1/2 of it throughout the night! I didn’t want anything with tons of sugar though so it was perfect to sip on.

20100814-IMG_6362

Finally got to meet more awesome ladies! I have known Mara since we started our blogs in 2008. It was so fun to meet in person.

20100814-IMG_6352

Same with Sheila and Jenn!

20100814-IMG_6368

Sheila invited us to California….trouble!!! ;)

20100814-IMG_6389

Now, I must tell you about this food. I always feel like I am failing miserably when I describe food that truly changes my life because no words seem worthy of describing the taste bud explosion that went on in my mouth last night.

A few of us decided to split a bunch of appetizers and mains! It was such a good idea because we all got to sample everything.

I was raving to everyone about the Heirloom Beets (made up of citrus beet purée, apple, dill) so we got it again.

20100814-IMG_6381

Bears, BEETS, Battlestar Galactica!!!!! ;)

20100814-IMG_6379

Tons of us also got the Wild Mushroom Risotto (made up of smoked foraged mushrooms).

It is off. the. hook. I can’t handle the goodness. I would pay good money for this recipe!!!!

20100814-IMG_6386

I didn’t try the Maki Roll (red beet, avocado, cucumber, jalapeño, carrot, rice, spicy aioli), but heard they were good!

20100814-IMG_6371

And now for the grande finale.

I present the Arugula pizza with yukon potatoes and caramelized onion.

20100814-IMG_6390

I know, I know, you are probably thinking a huge ???? right now. Please believe me when I say that this picture didn’t come close to doing it justice.

It had a homemade vegan cheese sauce. It was the BEST thing in the world.

20100814-IMG_6395

I desperately want to know how they made the cheese sauce!!! I’m thinking some kind of cashew blend??

Everyone loved the pizza.

The Crab Cakes (sautéed spinach, creole mustard aioli) were also delicious:

20100814-IMG_6392

Diana also said the tofu was great! I think it was tofu anyways!

20100814-IMG_6391

Eric had the ‘chicken’ legs (sweet potato hash, swiss chard, sweet barbecue sauce) and he inhaled it before I got a picture! lol.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Karyn herself and she is really nice!

20100814-IMG_6369

Eric and I got back to the hotel room around 11:30pm…of course, never as early as I hope!

This morning was the big 5k & 10k Healthy Living Summit fun run at 8am.

Tons of people met in the lobby…

20100815-IMG_1978

20100815-IMG_1977

20100815-IMG_1979

I did the 10k and it got really hot out there. Many of us hit a wall around mile 4! We took lots of walking breaks.

Gorgeous scenery of course…

20100815-IMG_1983

I think we did the 10k in just under 55 mins.

20100815-IMG_1981

20100815-IMG_1982

It was a fun and challenging run. I headed straight to the breakfast in the conference room and loaded up on fruit!

Eric and I split it…

20100815-IMG_6406

And we each had a muffin to go with it.

20100815-IMG_6408

The conference was a whirlwind of fun. Eric and I are here until Wednesday and very excited to do lots of touristy things over the nest few days! :) We might go to the water and air show this afternoon. :)

Enjoy your day!

1 Michelle August 15, 2010

Wow, it sounds like you are having an amazing time! That restaraunt looks fabulous, and I love the fun run idea! Brilliant! Have a great mini vacation!!!

2 Ashley August 15, 2010

Love hearing about everything!! The run looked so fun and the dinner sounds amazing. Yay!! I hope you guys enjoy the rest of your time there. You deserve a nice break!

3 Cristina August 15, 2010

Everything looks delicious, and it looks like you had a fun time.

4 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 15, 2010

Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galatica – oh Dwight! Seriously got excited knowing you are a Office fan too! How sad is it that Steve Carell is leaving :(
Anyways, beautiful food! Thanks for sharing all the details of HLS – you’ve inspired me to sign up to go next year.

5 Tina August 15, 2010

Isn’t it wonderful to finally meet people in person you have known forever through blogging?

Wow! There were a lot of people going on that run. How cool.

6 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 15, 2010

I would love to go to that restaurant. I’m such a fan of crab cakes and pizza. Having a vegan version would be a lot of fun.

7 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) August 15, 2010

I love seeing all of my favorite bloggers together!! You must be having a blast. I almost went to Karyn’s when I went to Chicago and didn’t. :( Next time I will not miss out, it looks unreal!!!!

8 Sara August 15, 2010

I love taking photos of the air show!! These are from 08, it’s one thing I miss about living there! I lived right down the street from the Oak St beach. http://www.flickr.com/photos/saraara/sets/72157606793438707/detail/

9 Sarah August 15, 2010

Love the gorgeous scenery and by scenery I mean the gorgeous vegan food :) I’ve never thought to put arugula on pizza though it sounds absolutely yummy!! I also think a massive 5&10K run would be amazing-if only I could drag people along on my runs. Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

10 Bridget August 15, 2010

What a trip you’ve been having! It’s great to see some of my favourite bloggers together.

And that pizza OMG it looks heavenly :)

11 chelsey August 15, 2010

How fun! I’m glad HLS was a success

12 holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 15, 2010

How fun that you are Eric are sticking around for a few days! A nice little mini vacation.

13 Pam August 15, 2010

What a fabulous time and the views…beautiful!

I tried the VOO for the first time this am and they are great…thank you!

Glad Eric and you can get away for a little vaca now!…enjoy!

Hugs!

14 Kiersten August 15, 2010

The food from Karyn’s looks so good! I wish we had a place like that here too. I’ve been to some vegetarian/vegan restaurants, but none were fancy like that. I love your red dress, by the way.

It looks like everyone had a good time at the HL Summit. I hope some year I will be able to attend!

15 Shannon August 15, 2010

That restaurant looks AMAZING! Those beets look to die for! Must visit Chicago!

16 Callie August 15, 2010

Sounds like so much fun! :)

17 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 15, 2010

My God, Karyn’s looks amazing – and sexy is right!! It is chic and gorgeous and the food mirrors that feel! Love it! Plus, I love when places make cocktails strong…it feels like I’m actually getting my money’s worth! :-D

So jealous of your amazing time in Chi-town! It’s official I MUST go next year!

18 Dani @ Body By Nature August 15, 2010

What a gorgeous restaurant, all of your meals look incredible.

Vegan IS sexy!!

19 Heather (Heather's Dish) August 15, 2010

i think this might be the first vegan restaurant i’ve ever wanted to eat at! looks beautiful!

20 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 15, 2010

Seriously – WHAT FUN!!!!!

21 JL Goes Vegan August 15, 2010

I must try Karyn’s when next in Chicago!

22 Diana August 15, 2010

It wasn’t tofu, it was crispy polenta! And it was quite delicious. :)

Thanks again for sharing some of your arugula pizza…it was wonderful! And thanks for organizing – you picked the perfect spot!

23 Diana August 15, 2010

PS the polenta was dessert (not savory) :)

24 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 15, 2010

Nice that you get a little vaca with the hubby!

25 Monique@She's Going The Distance August 15, 2010

Um, can I say that I LOVEEEE your red dress?!?! You look so beautiful in it too :)

26 Valerie August 15, 2010

That place looks wonderful! : ) It sounds like an amazing time & I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Chicago!

27 Camille August 15, 2010

What a wonderful end to HLS!
I looove the final picture!

28 Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 15, 2010

All of those vegan entrees look so decadent and delicious, especially that pizza and those beets. I loooove golden beets.

By the way, that red and gold ensemble looks gorgeous on you!

29 Jessica August 15, 2010

The fact that you just quoted The Office MADE MY DAY :)

HLS looked like it was a ton of fun! You look gorgeous in all the pictures!!

30 Hayley August 15, 2010

I love your dress, red is a good color on you! So glad that your dinner was a success:)

31 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 15, 2010

Haha I love the Office reference! ;)

That restaurant really does look amazing! There are so many veg restaurants in Toronto, but none I’ve heard of are swanky like that one!

32 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 15, 2010

I love how that pizza is so loaded with arugula. Everything sounds so healthy and amazing.

33 Wei-Wei August 15, 2010

I hope the rest of your time in Chicago is just as fabulous! That vegan restaurant I’ve seen in so many posts now. I’m jeaaaalous!

Wei-Wei

34 Irene August 15, 2010

Sounds like an amazing time in Chicago :-)

35 Maria August 15, 2010

Wow, the food in that restaurant looks absolutely divine. My mouth is watering! The only gripe I have is I wish restaurants would stop using names like ‘chicken’ legs and ‘crab’ meat for plant food. I don’t want to be thinking of dead animal parts when I’m about to eat!

36 Maria August 15, 2010

Hi Angela! I’ve been reading your blog for the past few months and I really enjoy it! I live in Chicago and I saw that you are going to be here for the next few days. There is a restaurant in the Lakeview neighborhood (just a few train stops north of downtown) that has fantastic vegan food. It’s called The Chicago Diner – commonly referred to as the Chicago Veggie Diner. It has a classic diner atmosphere and a really cute patio, but more importantly, the food is incredible! They also have vegan desserts that are to die for. It’s been around for over 25 years and it a local favorite. If you are looking for a fun spot to eat, you should definitely check it out!

Here’s the restaurant website:

Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Chi-town :)

Maria

37 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet life August 15, 2010

I heard SO MANY good things about Karyn’s after you guys went the other night. I wish I had the chance to make it over there…especially for that pizza!
It was such a pleasure to meet you this weekend!! Hopefully not the last time. :)

38 Charlie August 15, 2010

The food looks amazing! The mushrooms really caught my eye ;).

39 Adina August 15, 2010

Goodness that’s probably the most chic and awesome Vegan restaurant I’ve seen! The only Vegan restaurant in my area is so small and tiny with rarley any room to sit and the line out the door ! However it’s delicious nonetheless :) Thanks so much for sharing your amazing trip to Chicago and to the Healthy Living Summit with us all !

40 Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 15, 2010

Oh my goodness that pizza looks incredible! I LOVE good vegan food! You know it’s good when meat eaters don’t notice it’s meatless. haha

41 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 15, 2010

That would have been *such* and incredible run!! The scenery’s gorgeous!

42 Sarah for Real August 15, 2010

I wanted to tell you that I’ve been enjoying your recaps of the HLS better than any others. Maybe it’s because you took your husband (something I would do too), I guess I don’t know why! You are very inclusive and not acting too cool for the rest of us who didn’t go. Thanks!

43 Annie@stronghealthyfit August 15, 2010

Wow, all of that vegan food looks fabulous!! Have fun in Chicago- what an awesome city :-)

44 Megan August 15, 2010

That vegan place looks amazing! I definitely have to make it to the Summit next year! Glad you had fun!

45 Shanna, Like Banana August 15, 2010

I must make a return trip to Chicago just to try Karyn’s…thanks for showcasing it!

46 Lindsay August 15, 2010

Angela,
I know you have no idea who I am or where I blog from, but I have lived in the chicago area and get into the city ALL OF THE TIME for shopping. Please go to the Chicago Diner, it is a vegetarian/vegan restaurant. I am sure you will LOVE it. 3411 N. Halsted, Chicago IL – ph 773-935-6696. They also have a vegan bakery on-site that I am sure that you will LOVE!! :)

47 Heather McClees August 15, 2010

Hey Angela! I love seeing your trip posts!! Hope you’ve had a great time, looks like you have:)

48 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) August 16, 2010

Wow, looks like so much fun! I want to be there next year!

So many driven, beautiful, talented bloggers in one place. Awesome.

49 Laura (Starloz) August 16, 2010

oh, thats so incredible. Vegan food is hard to find in Australia. Being a vegetarian is strange here!

50 Katherine August 16, 2010

Gin with Lillet Blanc is my favorite gin martini! MMM so good!

51 Julia August 16, 2010

I love a classic Martini! It’s such a simple but great cocktail.
And who would’ve thought that a vegan restaurant could look soooooo unbelievably sexy?????

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences and have a great time exploring Chicago the next days!

52 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs August 16, 2010

Nooo Angela- it was a polenta dessert, not tofu!! Was SO delicious :D

53 Daniel Honigman August 16, 2010

Karyn’s IS great, but I wish you had given my table a heads up before you had taken a picture of the restaurant’s facade. (Yes, we were the folks sitting down in your picture on the top!)

Not mad or anything, and I’m not asking you to take the picture down; just wish you were a bit more courteous!

54 Kristy August 16, 2010

Karyn’s looks amazing and beautiful along with the food! Looks like you had a great time in the city with all the bloggers!

55 Lauren August 16, 2010

LOVED your Jim v. Dwight comment tucked in the post ;)

56 Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes August 16, 2010

Looks like Karyn’s was fabulous! Have a great time here in Chicago until Wednesday – the weather has finally let up and it’s perfect, not too hot and humid.

57 Gena August 16, 2010

Ange, I’m SO sorry I didn’t make it to this lovely meal! I was so tired by the end of summit day. It looks like a total success :)

58 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 16, 2010

its so lovely to see everyone out enjoying some exercise while remaining gorgeous enough to snap a good photo :)
im in awe over the food served! thats amazing!!

xoxo

59 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 16, 2010

Ahhh sounds amazing! I’m just getting through your HLS posts now that I’m back in the bloggy world and it looks incredible! What an amazing group of ladies to run with too! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip! :)

60 Jennifer Stallings August 16, 2010

I just got back from Chicago with my sister and we went to Karyns on Green because we are both veggies. I picked the exact same pizza and it was SO SO GOOD. The Maki rolls were great too! That’s so fun you went with a large group of people because it was a very quiet restaurant on the first floor!

61 Melissa August 16, 2010

Go to the Signature Room at the John Hancock tower for a drink or brunch – great views (you could have gotten same view from here rather than Sears Tower and saved the time/money).

I’m from WI so Chicago holds a dear place in my heart, especially since my now husband proposed to me on the bridge of flags on Michigan Ave!!

Enjoy your stay! :)

62 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA August 16, 2010

That looks incredible. I went to Chicago last year and ate at Karyn’s Cooked and it was fantastic. It was also my first vegan restaurant so it holds a special place in my heart!

63 michelle August 16, 2010

your blog is so inspiring! i really want to get into exercising but i don’t know how to get the energy to do so. any tips?

64 Amanda August 18, 2010

Angela,

I’m so glad you loved Chicago! I live about 2.5 hours away and get up there every chance I can! Could you let me know who the girl on the very right of your 10K picture is? She did the Illinois Marathon (I can see by her shirt!) and so did I. I’d love to know if she has a blog or lives around here! Love all your pictures from the Chi!!

Thanks for showing all the healthy eating spots around the city, I’m definitely going to try that tea place next time I’m up!