Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Good morning!

Karyn’s on Green was lots of fun! Gosh, I wish this restaurant was in my area. They make the best vegan food I have ever tried. Yes, it’s true. I was lucky to be able to sample several dishes and everything I tried was spot on perfection.

20100814IMG 6331 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

We had the upstairs lounge reserved and it was very swanky inside.

20100814IMG 6333 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

A large group of about 35-40 of us!

20100814IMG 6387 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Several husbands came too! Score. ;)

After looking over their amazing drink menu, I was swept away by the moment and decided a classic martini sounded so fabulous.

20100814IMG 63492 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

We had three bartenders/servers.

20100814IMG 6361 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

This classic martini was made up of Plymouth Gin, Lillet Blanc, Angostura orange, lemon peel.

It was strong and I could only sip 1/2 of it throughout the night! I didn’t want anything with tons of sugar though so it was perfect to sip on.

20100814IMG 6362 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Finally got to meet more awesome ladies! I have known Mara since we started our blogs in 2008. It was so fun to meet in person.

20100814IMG 6352 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Same with Sheila and Jenn!

20100814IMG 6368 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Sheila invited us to California….trouble!!! ;)

20100814IMG 6389 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Now, I must tell you about this food. I always feel like I am failing miserably when I describe food that truly changes my life because no words seem worthy of describing the taste bud explosion that went on in my mouth last night.

A few of us decided to split a bunch of appetizers and mains! It was such a good idea because we all got to sample everything.

I was raving to everyone about the Heirloom Beets (made up of citrus beet purée, apple, dill) so we got it again.

20100814IMG 6381 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Bears, BEETS, Battlestar Galactica!!!!! ;)

20100814IMG 6379 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Tons of us also got the Wild Mushroom Risotto (made up of smoked foraged mushrooms).

It is off. the. hook. I can’t handle the goodness. I would pay good money for this recipe!!!!

20100814IMG 6386 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

I didn’t try the Maki Roll (red beet, avocado, cucumber, jalapeño, carrot, rice, spicy aioli), but heard they were good!

20100814IMG 6371 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

And now for the grande finale.

I present the Arugula pizza with yukon potatoes and caramelized onion.

20100814IMG 6390 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

I know, I know, you are probably thinking a huge ???? right now. Please believe me when I say that this picture didn’t come close to doing it justice.

It had a homemade vegan cheese sauce. It was the BEST thing in the world.

20100814IMG 6395 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

I desperately want to know how they made the cheese sauce!!! I’m thinking some kind of cashew blend??

Everyone loved the pizza.

The Crab Cakes (sautéed spinach, creole mustard aioli) were also delicious:

20100814IMG 6392 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Diana also said the tofu was great! I think it was tofu anyways!

20100814IMG 6391 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Eric had the ‘chicken’ legs (sweet potato hash, swiss chard, sweet barbecue sauce) and he inhaled it before I got a picture! lol.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Karyn herself and she is really nice!

20100814IMG 6369 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

Eric and I got back to the hotel room around 11:30pm…of course, never as early as I hope!

This morning was the big 5k & 10k Healthy Living Summit fun run at 8am.

Tons of people met in the lobby…

20100815IMG 1978 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

20100815IMG 1977 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

20100815IMG 1979 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

I did the 10k and it got really hot out there. Many of us hit a wall around mile 4! We took lots of walking breaks.

Gorgeous scenery of course…

20100815IMG 1983 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

I think we did the 10k in just under 55 mins.

20100815IMG 1981 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

20100815IMG 1982 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

It was a fun and challenging run. I headed straight to the breakfast in the conference room and loaded up on fruit!

Eric and I split it…

20100815IMG 6406 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

And we each had a muffin to go with it.

20100815IMG 6408 thumb   Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

The conference was a whirlwind of fun. Eric and I are here until Wednesday and very excited to do lots of touristy things over the nest few days! :) We might go to the water and air show this afternoon. :)

Enjoy your day!

Michelle August 15, 2010

Wow, it sounds like you are having an amazing time! That restaraunt looks fabulous, and I love the fun run idea! Brilliant! Have a great mini vacation!!!

Ashley August 15, 2010

Love hearing about everything!! The run looked so fun and the dinner sounds amazing. Yay!! I hope you guys enjoy the rest of your time there. You deserve a nice break!

Cristina August 15, 2010

Everything looks delicious, and it looks like you had a fun time.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 15, 2010

Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galatica – oh Dwight! Seriously got excited knowing you are a Office fan too! How sad is it that Steve Carell is leaving :(
Anyways, beautiful food! Thanks for sharing all the details of HLS – you’ve inspired me to sign up to go next year.

Tina August 15, 2010

Isn’t it wonderful to finally meet people in person you have known forever through blogging?

Wow! There were a lot of people going on that run. How cool.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 15, 2010

I would love to go to that restaurant. I’m such a fan of crab cakes and pizza. Having a vegan version would be a lot of fun.

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) August 15, 2010

I love seeing all of my favorite bloggers together!! You must be having a blast. I almost went to Karyn’s when I went to Chicago and didn’t. :( Next time I will not miss out, it looks unreal!!!!

Sara August 15, 2010

I love taking photos of the air show!! These are from 08, it’s one thing I miss about living there! I lived right down the street from the Oak St beach. http://www.flickr.com/photos/saraara/sets/72157606793438707/detail/

Sarah August 15, 2010

Love the gorgeous scenery and by scenery I mean the gorgeous vegan food :) I’ve never thought to put arugula on pizza though it sounds absolutely yummy!! I also think a massive 5&10K run would be amazing-if only I could drag people along on my runs. Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

Bridget August 15, 2010

What a trip you’ve been having! It’s great to see some of my favourite bloggers together.

And that pizza OMG it looks heavenly :)

chelsey August 15, 2010

How fun! I’m glad HLS was a success

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 15, 2010

How fun that you are Eric are sticking around for a few days! A nice little mini vacation.

Pam August 15, 2010

What a fabulous time and the views…beautiful!

I tried the VOO for the first time this am and they are great…thank you!

Glad Eric and you can get away for a little vaca now!…enjoy!

Hugs!

Kiersten August 15, 2010

The food from Karyn’s looks so good! I wish we had a place like that here too. I’ve been to some vegetarian/vegan restaurants, but none were fancy like that. I love your red dress, by the way.

It looks like everyone had a good time at the HL Summit. I hope some year I will be able to attend!

Shannon August 15, 2010

That restaurant looks AMAZING! Those beets look to die for! Must visit Chicago!

Callie August 15, 2010

Sounds like so much fun! :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 15, 2010

My God, Karyn’s looks amazing – and sexy is right!! It is chic and gorgeous and the food mirrors that feel! Love it! Plus, I love when places make cocktails strong…it feels like I’m actually getting my money’s worth! :-D

So jealous of your amazing time in Chi-town! It’s official I MUST go next year!

Dani @ Body By Nature August 15, 2010

What a gorgeous restaurant, all of your meals look incredible.

Vegan IS sexy!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 15, 2010

i think this might be the first vegan restaurant i’ve ever wanted to eat at! looks beautiful!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 15, 2010

Seriously – WHAT FUN!!!!!

JL Goes Vegan August 15, 2010

I must try Karyn’s when next in Chicago!

Diana August 15, 2010

It wasn’t tofu, it was crispy polenta! And it was quite delicious. :)

Thanks again for sharing some of your arugula pizza…it was wonderful! And thanks for organizing – you picked the perfect spot!

Diana August 15, 2010

PS the polenta was dessert (not savory) :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 15, 2010

Nice that you get a little vaca with the hubby!

Monique@She's Going The Distance August 15, 2010

Um, can I say that I LOVEEEE your red dress?!?! You look so beautiful in it too :)

Valerie August 15, 2010

That place looks wonderful! : ) It sounds like an amazing time & I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Chicago!

Camille August 15, 2010

What a wonderful end to HLS!
I looove the final picture!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 15, 2010

All of those vegan entrees look so decadent and delicious, especially that pizza and those beets. I loooove golden beets.

By the way, that red and gold ensemble looks gorgeous on you!

Jessica August 15, 2010

The fact that you just quoted The Office MADE MY DAY :)

HLS looked like it was a ton of fun! You look gorgeous in all the pictures!!

Hayley August 15, 2010

I love your dress, red is a good color on you! So glad that your dinner was a success:)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 15, 2010

Haha I love the Office reference! ;)

That restaurant really does look amazing! There are so many veg restaurants in Toronto, but none I’ve heard of are swanky like that one!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 15, 2010

I love how that pizza is so loaded with arugula. Everything sounds so healthy and amazing.

Wei-Wei August 15, 2010

I hope the rest of your time in Chicago is just as fabulous! That vegan restaurant I’ve seen in so many posts now. I’m jeaaaalous!

Wei-Wei

Irene August 15, 2010

Sounds like an amazing time in Chicago :-)

Maria August 15, 2010

Wow, the food in that restaurant looks absolutely divine. My mouth is watering! The only gripe I have is I wish restaurants would stop using names like ‘chicken’ legs and ‘crab’ meat for plant food. I don’t want to be thinking of dead animal parts when I’m about to eat!

Maria August 15, 2010

Hi Angela! I’ve been reading your blog for the past few months and I really enjoy it! I live in Chicago and I saw that you are going to be here for the next few days. There is a restaurant in the Lakeview neighborhood (just a few train stops north of downtown) that has fantastic vegan food. It’s called The Chicago Diner – commonly referred to as the Chicago Veggie Diner. It has a classic diner atmosphere and a really cute patio, but more importantly, the food is incredible! They also have vegan desserts that are to die for. It’s been around for over 25 years and it a local favorite. If you are looking for a fun spot to eat, you should definitely check it out!

Here’s the restaurant website:

Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Chi-town :)

Maria

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet life August 15, 2010

I heard SO MANY good things about Karyn’s after you guys went the other night. I wish I had the chance to make it over there…especially for that pizza!
It was such a pleasure to meet you this weekend!! Hopefully not the last time. :)

Charlie August 15, 2010

The food looks amazing! The mushrooms really caught my eye ;).

Adina August 15, 2010

Goodness that’s probably the most chic and awesome Vegan restaurant I’ve seen! The only Vegan restaurant in my area is so small and tiny with rarley any room to sit and the line out the door ! However it’s delicious nonetheless :) Thanks so much for sharing your amazing trip to Chicago and to the Healthy Living Summit with us all !

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 15, 2010

Oh my goodness that pizza looks incredible! I LOVE good vegan food! You know it’s good when meat eaters don’t notice it’s meatless. haha

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 15, 2010

That would have been *such* and incredible run!! The scenery’s gorgeous!

Page 1 of 212»