Bon Voyage!

Those of you who guessed I am going to Paris in September are correct! Good work, ma petite détectives, good work. ;)

During the 3rd week in September, I will be on an all girl’s trip with OSGMOM and my sister Kristi. We have been planning a trip together for over 5 years now and we couldn’t be more excited. [I would like to thank Eat Pray Love for giving my mom the travel bug again. She called me about this trip idea shortly after starting, and falling in love, with the book!] I took French Immersion in school (from grade 7-11), but I will have to brush up on my French skills before leaving.

I will be blogging while I am away and I am excited to take you on this journey with me. However it is quite possible I may turn into a coffee-drinking, croissant loving, bon-bon eating non-vegan. I can’t be sure. I will be talking more later on about how I plan on eating while there. ;)

Now onto less exciting, but equally delicious things…breakfast…

IMG_5281

We have a situation here!!!

Today I used 1/8th tsp of Vanilla Bean Paste in the banana soft serve and it was delicious!

IMG_5250

Swirlz.

IMG_5254

Tip: If you can’t get your processor to make Banana soft serve, add a splash of almond milk to speed things along.

IMG_5255

Check out the specs of vanilla bean! Mmmm.

IMG_5258

I made it with layers of blueberries, Nature’s Path rice crisp, and cacao nibs.

IMG_5260

And a raspberry on top for colour!

IMG_5265

For the vegan overnight oats, I used my classic recipe.

IMG_5269

It was pretty much out of control goodness, as per usual.

IMG_5270  IMG_5278

Today’s question: Have you ever been anywhere in Europe? Where did you stay and what did you think about it? If you haven’t been, where would you like to visit?

Well, I am off for another busy day of work. Today is Operation: Healthy Living Summit day. I will be making over 225 Glo Bars complete with custom name tags for the HLS and shipping them out tomorrow! I also need to work on Kristin’s Wedding Favours and Ambrosia + customer orders. Going to be a busy one! Wheeeeeee. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

1 Nicole @ Making Good Choices August 4, 2010

I am dying to go to Europe with my husband and hope to get these next year. I am so jealous you are going, but I look forward to following your travels!! Good luck with all of the baking!

2 banandrea August 4, 2010

Oh my goodness that sounds like so much fun- I’m super jealous of your trip! I spent a year in France when I was 11, so I had the opportunity to visit much of the country as well as the neighbouring countries, and it was without a doubt the most interesting year of my life! I love all the old architecture in France and how there will just be a random old building right next to something new- the juxtaposition of old and new gets me every time. I also went to Italy and Greece when I was 17, and absolutely loved both of the countries.. *sigh* now I feel like travelling! I feel like once you get the travel bug, it’s so hard to stop! If only money grew on trees.. then I’d be set :)

3 jessica @ how sweet August 4, 2010

Omg!! That is so exciting! You are going to have such an amazing time!

4 Julianne August 4, 2010

How exciting! I’ve never been to Europe, but have always wanted to go. Eastern Europe is at the top of my list!

5 Ashley August 4, 2010

I LOVE vanilla bean paste!!! I’ve been to Italy, on a 10 day school trip in my 3rd year of college and Ireland with Chris on our honeymoon. I told you about Ireland, how we traveled around by car for the whole trip and had a blast. In Italy we stayed in 2 main cities, Genoa + Rome. I’m not sure I could go to Italy and make it out without eating some fresh genoa salami. It just might not be possible! ;) There are SO many places Chris + I want to travel too. Once things are more stable, I hope to make it somewhere fun! So excited for you!!!

6 Kerry August 4, 2010

I studied abroad in Europe in college and absolutely fell in love with it. I stayed in London for 4 months but while I was there I visited Italy, Scotland, Ireland and France (twice!). You are going to fall in love and not want to come back. I always say if I go back to France or Italy I would give up being vegan for a week because the food is so delicious! I’m interested to see what vegan options you have – can’t wait to hear all about it! You also might want to buy some extra memory cards because I can only imagine how many thousands of pictures you will take :)

7 Meredith August 4, 2010

My fiance took me to Paris last year! We stayed for two weeks and rented a car to see other parts of france, Switzerland and Italy. The most spectacular sights are the castles. Museums are lovely but to actually stand within the historic structures is breathtaking, and something entirely unachievable in Canada. If you have time, a day trip to the Loire Valley (famous for their wine!) with a stop at the Château de Chambord would be well worth it.

I can’t wait to see what you are inspired to bake up after sampling the pastry in Paris! You might have to make a small exception for butter;)

8 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs August 4, 2010

Paris – how exciting! Sure worth the 5yr wait :p
I’ve been to France, Holland, Spain, Portugal (spelt wrong :p), uhh,,Belgium, Scotland…..I’m sure some others but I can’t remember :p it’s easy when you live in England!

9 haya August 4, 2010

what an awesome trip!!

good luck on getting things done today

10 jaclyn August 4, 2010

How fun! I’m going to be in Paris then too :-). My husband and I are traveling to Provence and Burgundy first and finishing our trip with just under a week in Paris. I can’t wait! I’ve never been to France, but I was an exchange student in Germany during high school and a couple of years ago the hubby and I did a hiking trip to England and Scotland! I love Europe! Every time I go, I immediately start thinking of when I can go again.

11 Kate August 4, 2010

I’ve been to Paris and Belgium (Brussels & Bruges) and I absolutely LOVED both of them and want to go back to both someday. What I love about Europe in general is the history behind everything and the old architecture.

12 JL Goes Vegan August 4, 2010

Oh yes, let’s of time in Europe! Paris, London, Dublin, Belfast, Belgium and a hop, skip and jump to Sarajevo and Zagreb! So much to see and do! I usually stay at the Hotel Ares in Paris. I love it because it’s close to the Metro but you’re staying in a neighborhood. Feels more like being a part of daily life there. ENJOY!

13 Alexa @ Sohdalex August 4, 2010

omg, I didn’t know about the existence if vanilla bean paste!! I will have to find/purchase immediately. Growing up I never wanted vanilla ice cream unless it had the ‘black specks’ ;)
I guess even then I knew what was up.

I have been to London before, when I was much younger, and enjoyed it, But I leave in September for France as well! I will be mostly in southern France but in Paris for a week in October. Can’t wait to see what you do while there! :)

14 Jess August 4, 2010

I lived in the Ukraine! I’ve also traveled all over Europe, a total of 19 countries. You will have a fantastic time in Paris.

15 Roxane August 4, 2010

Hi Angela,

And thank you so much for your very inspiring blog! I’ve been following it regularly now for the past few weeks and I have to say you always manage to speak to my heart and soul.

Never commented before but as I see you’re off to my home country, I wanted to have the honour to wish you the warmest welcome! I hope you have a wonderful time in Paris and enjoy the beautiful food we have everywhere. Will you be travelling any other places?

Being a vegan in France might be tricky though as people already have struggle with the vegetarian concept: oh no meat, certainly miss, would you prefer some ham or some fish?… Hmmmm ;o) Hehe, but you ladies will be fine, with your beautiful smile and catchy happiness, the waiters will be more than happy serving you anything you want!

16 Holly August 4, 2010

That is going to be such an awesome trip!!

I went to London in college with a couple of girlfriends. The city was beautiful but it was so cold! It was also March, so I should have expected it. I would really love to go to Italy. I heard it is warmer there. :-)

17 Katie August 4, 2010

My mom and I went to Paris for a week also! I’m so excited for you ladies to experience (in my opinion) the most beautiful city in the world! I would move there in a heartbeat!!!! I highly recommend getting fresh vegetable soup anywhere you go. I can’t remember where I got it, but we were at lunch and it was amazing! Sitting outside while eating and watching people walk by was so much fun. My mom and I would spend close to 3 hours at dinner just chatting, eating, drinking wine, and watching people wondering what their daily lives are like.

Oh my gosh, I could go on and on about Paris, but I’ll stop here. If you ever want restaurant suggestions, let me know. :) Also, seeing the Mona Lisa was unreal. I had tears in my eyes walking into the room… it’s nothing like you’d ever imagine.

18 Katie August 4, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel de l’abbaye and it was absolutely beautiful! We ate breakfast in the garden every morning.

19 jenna August 4, 2010

how fun! to have an all girls trip and to paris no less!!! awesome.

your breakfast looks stunning per usual. ;)

20 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 4, 2010

Yay! I’m so excited for you! You are going to love it.

This past June my husband and I went to Barcelona and Paris. Paris is absolutely beautiful!! While the museums and other sites are amazing, my favorite part about being there was just wandering around the city, taking in the architecture, smells and life going on all around me. I am so ready to go back!

I’m interested to see what your take is on eating while you’re there. While I did eat vegetarian there, I was very lax on eating vegan. For me it was very difficult to find vegan options, especially because most of the places we stopped were boulangeries/pattisseries (read: affordable), which meant everything was pre-made and sitting in the window. For me, that was all a part of the experience! I don’t regret it at all:)

One last thing – hands down the most exhilarating experience we had there, was using the bike system. They have bike stations all around the city, and if you’re lucky your credit card will work and you can rent a bike to get around. We would walk most of the day bc it’s the best way to take everything in, but at night when our feet were aching and sore, we’d hop on a bike and cruise around for hours. My most memorable moment was coasting by the Eiffel Tower late at night, marveling as it lit up and sparkled in all its glory. Priceless.

Sorry for the novel! I’m so excited to follow your trip!

21 Lea @ Healthy Coconut August 4, 2010

I would love to go to Europe and visit Italy and Paris, those are my must see places. Maybe for my honeymoon, lol!

I can’t wait to go to Paris with you, well…through your blog anyways. Your pictures are great so I’m sure you will capture the spirit of Paris through the blog. How exciting!

22 Alina August 4, 2010

Wow! this is great! i’ve just got back from Paris last week! it was an amazing week! well from what i’ve seen Paris isn’t a very vegan friendly city, but most cafes have in their menus salades composees, and there were vegeterian options, also you could order small entree (appetizer) and salad for example. And bread! it’s soooooo good. Eric Kayser’s boulangeries are great! you HAVE to try pain aux cereals! and if you’re going to eat diary while there, get Amorino gelato! it’s awesome! and also if you accidentelly will eat eggs and cheese try gallette (crepe made of buckwheat flour) from Breizh cafe or any other cafe! you’ll have amzing time with your family!
p.s. i just had to correct you, it’s actually mes petites detectives, sorry! :)

23 Sabina August 4, 2010

I’ll be in Paris this fall too!

I’ve been to a bunch of different places in Europe: Amsterdam, London, Dublin, Berlin, Munich, Bern, Rome, Venice, Nice, Barcelona, and Paris!

This fall, we’re doing the “Keep the Summer Going Tour”: French Riviera, Barcelona, Madrid, and ending with a few days in Paris.

Paris is so incredibly beautiful!

To stay healthy (and keep costs down), we made use of grocery stores for breakfast, snacks, and sometimes lunch or dinner. I fell in love with Monoprix (French grocery chain).

24 Lizzie August 4, 2010

I have been to Europe twice (though more if you count travelling to the UK as a child and living there temporarily in my 20’s). My husband and I took advantage of an offer for young alums of his college and did an 8-day trip from Amsterdam to Brussels to Paris for $800 each – including airfare!!! It was my first Europe ‘Europe’ experience and I loved it. Paris surprised me the most. It had not been high on my list of places to visit, but it was amazing. 2 years ago we went to Oktoberfest in Munich, then took the train through Italy and Austria to Nice, had a couple of nights there, then went to Paris for another couple of days. Last year my husband returned to Oktoberfest with two guy friends who enjoy beer – I was more interested in photo-taking and people watching :) We were supposed to go to Bosnia this summer (we have a friend who spends 6 weeks there every summer – lucky!), but after going home in June it was just to much $$$$.
Other places I would love to visit are Greece, Bosnia, and Switzerland.

You will LOVE LOVE LOVE Paris – and (please don’t construe this as a judgement or anything – I truly think your way of eating is beneficial, not to mention delicious!) if you can please don’t deprive yourself of the wonderful food there for the sake of a week of being vegan :) The cheese and bread are amazing (for some reason I didn’t eat too many desserts – not sure why). Unless of course there are alternatives and being a bakers dream, I am sure there are.
You’ll be doing heaps of walking (and maybe some running? I did in Nice) and that should help balance things out :)

25 Heather (Heather's Dish) August 4, 2010

i would DIE if i got to go to Paris in september!!! what a fun trip…i’ve never been anywhere in Europe, although Paris and all of Italy are on the TOP of my list!

26 Leah @ L4L August 4, 2010

I lived in Europe for 9 years growing up – military brat! My fav places were Germany (like Bavaria and west Germany, not Berlin) + Italy (south, the Amafi coast, Napoli, etc.). I actually despise places like Rome, Paris, Amsterdam. They are all just tourist crap dirty cities. Take me to the South of France to the wine country. Take me to the villages of Yorkshire. Take me to the real Europe.

27 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 4, 2010

I love Paris. It’s hands-down the most beautiful city in the world. I went when I was in high school and I love it.

As for Europe, I’ve also been to Madrid, Barcelona, Nice, Rome, Venice, Florence, and Prague. I’m dying to go to Germany, Russia, Switzerland, and Belgium.

28 Camille August 4, 2010

Last summer I went to Ireland, Scotland, and England and it was one of the best experiences of my life! I want to go overseas again the second money allows!

29 Shannon August 4, 2010

How fun! And romantic – ooh lala! I studied abroad in San Sebastian Spain (right over the border from South-western France), and I LOVED it! It’s an adorable old city right on the beach, rich with Basque pride. If you had a few days to kill I’d say it’s worth the overnight train ride!

30 Ilana August 4, 2010

Oh maaaaaaan you’re going to have a fabulous time! I would definitely abandon veganism for the shores of buttery crossaints in Paris – I’ve been to Paris once, when I was 12, and I’d love to go back! I’ve also spent some time in London, but that’s the extent of my Eurotour! I really want to go back – and I want to see EVERYTHING. That’s kind of my dream in life, though, to go everywhere. Spain, Italy, Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany, and on and on and on …. ahhhhhh I need to go!

31 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 4, 2010

Ahhhh, how exciting!!!!!! Or, tres excite, ha! I lived in France for six months in a tiny village about an hour north of Nice, and I still remember it as one of the most meaningful times in my life. I cherish my memories there!

32 Erin @ The Making of a Teacher August 4, 2010

Paris is one of my favorite places on Earth – the last time I went was with my mom and sister too! My sister studied there for a year and we joined her for her last couple of weeks. It’s an amazing city and I’m sure you’ll love it. I would also say include cheese and butter in your diet just for that one week – it’s a totally different experience with them in France and I think it’d be a horrible one to miss! I ate chocolate croissants every morning.

33 Rachelle August 4, 2010

What a coincidence! My husband and I (both vegans) are going to Paris in 10 days. I love looking for vegetarian restaurants when I travel. Maybe you could start a vegetarian directory. Here is a link with a video clip of one of the vegetarian restaurants in Paris that we plan to visit.
I am looking forward to your blogs from Paris. I will let you know what we discover while we are there. By the way, I am one of the people who stocked up on Glo bars at the market on Saturday (actually my parents picked them up for me). I love your blog.
Rachelle

34 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 4, 2010

My husband and I went to Paris last October! We stayed in various Hilton hotels around the city, but one of our favorites was the Hilton Arc de Triomphe! It’s a great location for walking to various sites! We also enjoyed the Marriott Rive Gauche hotel, which allowed us to walk to our FAVORITE districts of the city– St. Germain and Marais! Make sure you visit both of those!!!!

We also made a day-trip to Disneyland Paris, which was SO fun! The rides are really different from the ones in the US– many of them are SCARIER!! (they go upside-down!)

So excited to hear more about your trip! (and I’m going to be totally jealous!) ;)

35 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 4, 2010

I would LOVE to go to Europe though I have never been! I will be hopefully be studying architecture in Rome next summer though.

36 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 4, 2010

Girls trip’s are the best – my friends and I try to do one each year. Good for your soul!

I’ve never been to Europe, but we are thinking of doing a 1 Year Anniversary trip there, possibly to Greece.

37 andrea @ Food Not Fuss August 4, 2010

Paris! How fun! I would love to go there someday!

May I ask where you got the vanilla bean paste? Is it local, or something you ordered for the bakery? Love those specks of real vanilla! (And speaking of bakery, I can’t WAIT to try your bars at HLS!!)

38 Casey Thomas August 4, 2010

Hi Angela,

I love Paris so much. I was there about 2 months ago and I am also a vegan and mostly raw. I actually did a fair bit of research and created a list of places to buy health foods while I was there. If you like, I can email it to you?

Most of the time I just had salads at restaurants but the list was still useful.

You must try the dark chocolate varieties in Paris. Ooh la la!

Love,
Casey

39 AngelaOSG August 9, 2010

Hi Casey,

Thanks for your offer for the info! I think I am just going to wing this trip though. Should be interesting :)

40 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini August 4, 2010

Well y’know what with living in Europe and everything ;)

My favourite city is Rome. God I love Rome!

It is so hard to be vegan in Europe though (outside of the UK, it’s easy to be vegan in the UK). In both Paris and Rome I eat fish (mostly because I can’t eat dairy so my compromise is fish).

I do love me a croissant though. I pretend they are made with vegan spread and not buttery goodness….

41 Michelle August 4, 2010

Oh, I love Paris! And it looks like we will be there the same week!

15 years ago Mom and I took a self-guided bicycle trip through Burgundy and it was the best trip of my life. After a week of bike riding in the country, we spent a few days in Paris and I just fell in love with that place. My husband and I have been talking about going for years, but it’s been difficult to find time, set a date, etc. I decided to buy tickets to some sort of major event in Paris to provide inspiration to actually buy airfare, and it worked! We will be seeing U2 while we are there.

Have fun, can’t wait to see the photos and read the stories.

42 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 4, 2010

I am so excited about your trip! I would love to go on a trip with my mom and sisters — just the girls!

I stayed in Germany for a month during college for a brief study abroad program. We lived in a house in Potsdam (20 students and 1 teacher) and traveled to a few different cities. Berlin was such a neat city – it seemed so modern and futuristic in a way. Next summer J and I are planning a little trip to the Caribbean and I would love to go to Greece one day.

43 Shanna, Like Banana August 4, 2010

I just took an all girls trip to Italy! You will have a lovely time!!!

I’ve been to Wales, England, Spain, France, and Italy — all on completely separate trips..gotta rack up those United miles ;)

44 tanyasdailyproductreviews August 4, 2010

your breakfast always looks so good, presentation counts

45 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Faublous August 4, 2010

My boyfriend and I took a trip to Rome and Venice last Fall and it was breathtaking! I’ve also been to Israel but that isn’t in Europe technically!!

46 Jenn (GH) August 4, 2010

How FUN!!!!!!! Your breakfast looks delicious.

I spent a summer in France as an exchange student. Loved it! I have also been to England twice. The first time to take and English class on British Theatre and the second time with my then boyfriend (now husband) who proposed to me while we were there. Someday I want to take my boys there for a “europe semester” since we are homeschoolers.

47 Courtney (Delightful Devours) August 4, 2010

Congratulations on your trip! Europe is fabulous, I’ve been mainly to London and Wales areas. Can’t wait to read about your trip.

48 Sarah August 4, 2010

Angela-

That’s wonderful! I hope all of you have eye-opening experiences there.

Traveling abroad always allows me to recharge and gain new perspective in my life. There’s nothing i love more than exploring new cities and watching people living life a different way.

I lived in the UK for two years 2005-2007 and got a chance to explore most of Europe during that time. However, I never made it to Paris, Amsterdam or Prague and those are on the top of my list next time I get over there.

49 Astrid August 4, 2010

I get to try a Glo Bar!! Really? Yay! That is really exciting for some reason. I am excited for your trip to France. I loved it there when I visited in high school. I can’t wait to go back some day!

50 Erica August 4, 2010

My husband took me to Italy in May – it was AMAZING! It was the first time being overseas for both of us, and we enjoyed being immersed in another culture. We visited Rome, Pompeii, Florence, and Venice. Florence was definitely our favorite place – the people were so welcoming and friendly, the food was delicious, and the Tuscan countryside was breathtaking. We definitely want to go back to Europe some day. :) Interesting fact: we are both allergic to wheat and gluten, but the pasta and pastries in Italy didn’t bother us at all! We determined that it must be something about the way they process their flour. Whatever it was, it was wonderful to eat pasta! :) Have a wonderful time in Paris! What fun! :)

51 Holly @Self-love and Running August 4, 2010

My husband and I want to go to Italy do badly!

52 Callie August 4, 2010

That’s so exciting! :)
I’ve always wanted to learn French and visit Paris. It seems like such a nice place.

53 Holly @ Self-love and Running August 4, 2010

Paris! How exciting!

I’d love to visit Paris but the husband and I really want to go to Italy. That would be my 1st choice. I’ve never been to Europe but I have been to South Africa and the husband has been to Russia.

That breakfast looks delish! I tried overnight oats but it was a completely flop. I am going to have to try them again, I think!

54 Mimi August 4, 2010

I’ve spent the last two months in Germany and it’s absolutely amazing. Thanks to the ease of travel in Europe, I’ve also gone to Austria (where my family’s from) and Switzerland (most beautiful place ever). I would have loved going to France, but I guess that just gives me an excuse to come back again…

55 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 4, 2010

I was married in Italy. I travelled much of W Europe after my wedding as well. We spent 7 days in Paris during that period. It was awesome.

You must go to the restaurant Paradis Au Fruits. I know YOU would love it.

56 Heather @ Side of Sneakers August 4, 2010

Yay!!! That’s so exciting!! I can’t wait to hear all about it, and to see your beautiful pictures of France!!

57 Maria August 4, 2010

I live in FInland and have travelled in several other European countries. BUT. Paris was hands down my favourite and I would go there again if I got the chance. The city is so beautiful and full of places to see and things to experience. I hope you have a lovely time!

58 Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing August 4, 2010

I went to Europe on a school trip with EF Tours in March 2005 (I think I was in grade 11). We spent a day or two in Lucerne, Switzerland. Then the bulk of our trip was spent in Italy. We visited Verona, Venice, Rome, Florence, Pisa, Siena… I think that’s it! We spent a day in Monaco, then Cannes, Nice, and Èze and took the TGV up to Paris. We visited there for 2-3 days, I think. It was so beautiful. We took a boat ride on the Seine at night, went up the Eiffel Tower, walked a lot, spent 45 minutes at the Louvre (because the teacher who took the trip with us wasn’t very into art!)… I’ve been thinking about Paris lately (like the past month or so) and it’s definitely a place I’d like to revisit at some point. 3rd week of September this year, we’ll be going to Alberta and BC. :)

59 Marie-Lise August 4, 2010

Hi Angela,

This is such a small world!

Like Roxanne, I have never commented on your blog despite having been following it for a little while. (Your posts are very inspiring!) However, when reading that you will visit Europe and in particular my home city, I felt compelled to leave a comment :-)

I hope you, your mother and your sister will have a blast in Paris and enjoy the not-always- smily Parisians :-) If you need any ideas, I’ll be happy to help.

60 Jocelyn August 4, 2010

Oh man..I really hope you decide to be a non vegan in Paris…lol I know that might be bad to say (I love your way of eating) but honestly!? The desserts!…The butter!…The Cheese!…The butter!

lol ohhh I am so excited for you :D

61 Michelle August 4, 2010

Paris – how exciting! I would love to go there some day. My last name is French so I feel like I have to…. Or at the very least, go to Canada ;)

62 Stacie August 4, 2010

Double CONGRATS on your trip to France AND you Ambrosia order! WoO HoO!! Before you know it, you will be on the Today show or even Oprah :) :) Much deserved……
Happy Wednesday,
Stacie

63 Chari August 4, 2010

Oh how I love Paris!!!! I’ve been there twice and the second time was for our honeymoon! I highly suggest checking out Rick Steve’s website for Paris travel. Such great info!! His maps are the very best as well. I bought one for our second trip.

64 LauraP August 4, 2010

Hi Angela,

I’m a first-time-commenter, but read your blog for about a year now.
I will also be in Paris in September (from 20th till 27th).
Paris is so beautiful! I’ve been there once before, a few years ago.
I’m from Germany and only travelled in Europe, but i would love to travel to America or Asia someday.

65 Sammi August 4, 2010

That’s so exciting!!! I’m jeeeeealous! I’ll definitely be living vicariously through you while you’re there!
To answer your question, my dad’s an airline pilot, so I’ve been fortunate enough to visit quite a few different European countries. Germany and Italy are my favorites, but I’ve also been to Portugal, Switzerland, Netherlands, and Austria.

I can’t wait to see your posts while you’re over there!

66 Run Sarah August 4, 2010

I love girly trips – my mom and I went to LA together and had such a fun time. I would love to go to Europe one day, as well, when the budget allows. Happy Wednesday Ang and good luck with all the baking!

67 Erin August 4, 2010

You’re going to have a DELICIOUS trip to Paris! I totally ate my way through the city (twice!) and never regretted a bite. Embrace it. :D

68 DebZ August 4, 2010

I love Paris – how exciting for you. I was there by myself for 10 wonderful days. I went to a lot of museums, sipped many cappuccinos in outdoor cafes, read myself blind, and spent hours just sitting in random tiny parks peppered throughout the city. My next trip will likely be back to explore Italian Switzerland more thoroughly. But, Paris, oh, it just makes me sigh with love and longing. Have a GREAT time! (Oh, you should read “Almost French” by Sarah Turnbull and “Without Reservations” by Alice Steinbach, terrific travel memoirs, especially if you liked EPL.)

69 Wei-Wei August 4, 2010

I’m so excited for you! I’ve always wanted to go to Paris (again), but then again I just love Europe in general. It’s such an awesome place ;D

Wei-Wei

70 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf August 4, 2010

Travel is for trying new things! No shame in straying from normal eating habits for a change! When in Rome… (or Paris!)…

Now I have to go buy vanilla bean paste!

71 Elaine August 4, 2010

I’ve lived in London for 10 years and lived in Germany in the 80’s for five years as an Army brat. There are too many places to mention, but try to get out of the big cities to secondary cities or to the country side. Have a great time! PS — It’s not so easy being vegan or even vegetarian in Paris…!

72 Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure August 4, 2010

Paris how fun! I havent’ been to Paris yet the closest (distance wise) would be London. Hubs and I LOVE to travel in the short 3 years we have been together we have seen Italy, Irelands, London, and parts of the Netherlands. We are planning a trip to Amsterdam & Brussels this next Spring :+)

73 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots August 4, 2010

I am so jealous of your trip!! That sounds just fantastic. I’ve never been off this continent, but I have this epic dream of a fantastic summer-long European backpacking trip with my husband. We are tentatively scheduling it for a few years (before the kiddos come along).

74 Corey - The Runner's Cookie August 4, 2010

I backpacked through Europe 2 years ago and it was incredible! Spent a few days in Paris – there is so much to love. The food, the museums, the atmosphere.
I posted a few of the food photos from my trip here: http://therunnerscookie.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/pancakes-fond-food-memories/

75 Molly @ MollyRunsFresh August 4, 2010

I can’t wait to read about your travels in Europe! Next summer my mom and I are going to France AND Italy. I am reading Eat, Pray, Love right now too so I can barely wait to travel across the world and experience a totally new culture! Have fun and please post tips of must-visit places/restaurants :)

76 Marina August 4, 2010

So amazing that you three are going on that trip!
I just spent two weeks with my mom, on a beach vacation, and my sister was there for two days too. It was so nice, to spend some time with them, connect a bit more and have fun. I’m sure you’ll have so much fun!

77 Paige @ Running Around Normal August 4, 2010

An all girls trip sounds absolutely fabulous! It will be interesting to see how vegan-friendly it is there!
Good luck with all of the orders today, hun! Can’t wait to meet you at the HLS! Will you be bringing bars to sell at the summit as well? If so, I’d love to buy some – as the shipping is what’s killer for me!

78 AngelaOSG August 9, 2010

Unfortunately I wont be bringing bars for sale..sorry! . Sorry lovie!!!

79 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 4, 2010

First I have to say, your breakfast looks delicious and what beautiful photos:)
Traveling: I’ve been to the Azores islands, where my dad was born and grew up…….can’t wait to go back and visit. I’ve also been the Portugal and would love to travel to Italy one day.
Your Paris trip will be fabulous I’m sure!

80 Camille August 4, 2010

Just like Roxane, i am French and love your blog.

You are a very inspiring person and i realy like your recipes. You and your gilfriends should have a great time in Paris; also the city is not really vegan friendly you will find some vegetarian options in most restaurants.

If you need any advises on things to do in Paris whether it is shopping, site seeing or anything related to France, feel free to contact me.

81 Shamima August 4, 2010

I went to Paris with my partner a couple of years ago and had an awesome time. The food, the atmosphere, the buildings…everything was wonderful. You will have a wonderful time!!!

82 Maria August 4, 2010

How exciting!

My sister and I have a dream to visit Paris together. I’ve started planning, more like dreaming, the trip. I’ve been looking for blogs and websites about planning a trip. Especially because I would have no idea how much money I would need over there!

Will you be talking any about how you’ve planned and what plan on doing once there? I would love to hear about it!!

I’m so excited for you! *squeal*!!!

83 Gina (@ Looking Forward) August 4, 2010

I went to France with my boyfriend and his family a couple years ago. My favorite thing we did was to buy some bread, cheese, wine, produce, baked goods, etc from all the separate shops and take them to one of the beutiful gardens and have a picnic. It was lovely!

84 Monique August 4, 2010

I am new to all the health food on blogs. I will give you a laugh for the day…I tried to freeze my bananas, and I forgot to take the skin off. It was a very sad day after they were completely frozen and I realized that I had no idea how to peel them. :-/

85 Kaley August 4, 2010

Having studied abroad & worked in Spain, I’ve obviously been there. Within Spain, I’ve been to Madrid, Barcelona, Granada, Santiago de Compostela, and Salamanca. I’ve also been to Paris and Lisbon. I loved them all. I have a special place in my heart for Spain, though.

86 Amber K August 4, 2010

When I was 16 I went with the Oregon Ambassadors of Music (I was in the choir) and we traveled seven countries in Europe in 16 days. It was crazy fast, I have fuzzy memories of some of it, but I would LOVE to go back someday. Especially to Champery, Switzerland because it was the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my whole life.

87 Lana August 4, 2010

I stayed in Barcelona, Spain for a week and fell in love!! The Mediterranean Cuisine is to die for!!! I remember having couscous, sauteed eggplant, roasted red peppers, squash, etc at a small cafe on Las Rambles. Delish! The atmosphere and the sangria were excellent ;) I also traveled the southern border of France and really enjoyed it. Grab a baguette en route!!!

88 Tracey August 4, 2010

Paris is beautiful. A great way to save money and be in the heart of the city is to rent an apartment for a week. I did this with a bunch of girlfriends, and had the time of our lives.

89 Katie August 4, 2010

Ok, so this post made me de-lurk ;) I just moved back to Toronto after studying in Scotland and I did a fair bit of traveling while there, including France twice! You have to spend some time around in the Montmartre area (watch the movie Amelie to get you in the mood for that)! It is great and I had the best falafel there ever! Within Paris there is a free tour with the New Europe company and the guides operate on a tips only basis. It is a really great experience and gives you a nice run-down of the city’s history and architecture and weird quirks (http://www.newparistours.com/).

If you get a chance to head outside of Paris, I would completely recommend Aix-en-Provence. It is a beautiful small town and the local market has the freshest veggies, and the loveliest vendors. I hope this helps with your travel plans!

Katie

90 Katie August 4, 2010

Also, I’m a vegetarian and really enjoyed the food there. You may find yourself consuming a lot of cheese, though. Not that that’s a bad thing while in France ;)

91 Melanie August 4, 2010

My husband and I spent 3 weeks in Europe 10 years ago. It was great! We backpacked. I highly recommend a Eurorail pass if you are planning on seeing other parts of Europe. We used this and travelled quite a bit–started out in Paris, then to Italy, Germany, Holland, Switzerland. It was a great holiday. Paris itself has so much you can do. We spend a good portion of our time in Italy and Germany as well. I know you will have a fantastic trip. My suggestion for eating if you want to cut costs–we stayed in a hotel that offered a breakfast. Then for lunch we grabbed food from the market/grocery store and ate in parks or sitting in areas where we could people watch (always entertaining) and then ate dinner out. Saved us a lot of money instead of eating out all the time. You will have such a great time. I am happy for you.

92 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 4, 2010

How exciting! That’s so fun that you’re going with your mom and sister. You’re going to have a blast!

I’ve never been to Europe, but I’m dying to go. I’d love to visit Italy and Greece to see all the ruins I learned about in school and also to eat all their delicious food! ;)

93 Alyce August 4, 2010

I went to visit Medjugorje with my parents years ago. It was very cool – so beautiful, the people were friendly and all of the little differences made for an interesting experience.
Oh, and the beer was great. :)

94 Tina August 4, 2010

LOVE Paris!!! When I went I didn’t think I would like it so much because it tends to get a bad rep (or claims it is over-rated) here in the US. But it was amazing. I can’t wait to experience it again through your blog. And I’m interested to hear how you approach eating there as well.

95 Lizzie August 4, 2010

I felt the same way – we hadn’t had pleasant interactions with people in Montreal regarding the language and I really thought it would be that way in Paris. It was the exact opposite! Which I guess is a kick in the bum to remind me that assuming doesn’t get you very far :)

96 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 4, 2010

Oh, how I hope you ‘splurge’ and enjoy a latte & croissant in France :)

I can’t wait for my HLS Glo Bar. Saving the wrapper for sure!! Thank you, love!!

97 Sabrina August 4, 2010

I live in europe, Florence Italy to be specific. I hope that you will really enjoy Paris, when I am there I eat croissants all day. The croissant is the only food the italians have not yet mastered. for those of you who would like to visit europe I strongly encourage it. If you live in a large city you can swap appartments with someone in europe for your own flat. I do this when ever I travel and I have never had a problem. The best way is on craigs list.com, there is a section for swapping appartments there. for instance I will be looking for one in vancouver next year for my flat in florence and perhaps on in toronto for october. This saves huge money on hotels and you really get to experience the life style. Have good time. Im off to make the chick peas u posted before.

98 Veronique August 4, 2010

I loveee Europe! I have been to Italy about 5 years ago, and I have to say it was the best trip of my life. Unfortunately I lost my camera in Florence on my last day of the trip so I have no pics to show off :(.
I am dying to visit the rest of Europe, especially France. You will LOVE it!
I also want to go to Spain and Greece. My friends and I are actually planning a mediterranian trip right now, hopefully in the next couple of year. It would be amazing. Take lots of pics!

99 shannon August 4, 2010

I spent 10 glorious days in Paris with my best friend to celebrate my 30th birthday. We had a wonderful time. If you haven’t made arrangements for accommodation yet, I would highly recommend looking into renting an apartment instead of staying at a hotel. It can actually be more economical and MUCH more spacious, especially with three people. And the cherry on top is a kitchen where you can prepare healthy meals from the lovely produce at the markets instead of having to eat out three times a day!

100 Nicole August 4, 2010

I went to Western Europe with my sister for a month after my first year of University. We lived out of backpacks, travelled by bus, and stayed in tents. It was wonderful! But we didn’t see as much of France as we would have liked so….we’re going back! My sister and I are planning (fingers crossed) to backpack around Turkey for May and June next year, and then cycle tour through France for July and August. We’ll both have graduated, and since we both did internships, we were able to save quite a bit of money. We’ve been wanting to go to Turkey for years, and my parents went cycle touring for a year (!) on their honeymoon, so that has also been a dream of ours (travelling AND getting super-fit in one!)

101 Jenn @ So Very Fit August 4, 2010

Wow, Paris, that’s so exciting!! I can’t wait to hear all about your trip. I’ve never been to anywhere in Europe. Maybe one day.

Am I crazy for wanting to get a food processor just so I can make banana soft serve? :)

102 Christina August 4, 2010

No, you’re not crazy! I’m buying one this weeked JUST for banana soft serve. I can make it in my blender, but it’s painful to be so patient and squish down, blend, squish down, blend until it’s done.

103 Leah August 4, 2010

The vanilla bean paste sounds wonderful! I’ll have to find some….

As for Europe – I’ve been to Germany (Frankfurt & Lahr) and Turkey. Loved Turkey, but didn’t get to see much of Germany. Went nearly 20 years ago and would love to go again…

104 Vegyogini August 4, 2010

I’ve been fortunate to have traveled fairly extensively in Europe. I lived in Toulouse, France for a year (I majored in French) and Paris is my favorite city in the world (besides my beloved home city, Los Angeles). There are vegan restaurants and vegan options in omni restaurants in Paris, so never fear!

105 Christina August 4, 2010

*sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal* France, how exciting!!!

I have been craving vanilla bean! Where did you buy the vanilla bean paste? I’ve never seen it in my grocery store before.

106 Alice August 4, 2010

I went to Paris last October. We rented a teeny tiny apartment in Montmartre. It was an amazing trip…so much to do and see. And the bakeries…a daily…sometimes twice daily visit. Luckily offset by all the walking and the 167 stairs at our metro stop!!!!! Enjoy..you will love it.

107 maria August 4, 2010

I’m all over that vanilla bean paste.
We spent Christmas in Paris one year. We were with lots of family & I was almost 2 months pregnant with my first son…..we told everyone the good news on Christmas morning :) So, Paris has a special place in my heart. You will love all the photo opportunities!!!!
We went on to Germany after Paris and I fell in love all over again….have to say even more than France. It is sooooo clean! LOL
Enjoy!

108 Annie@stronghealthyfit August 4, 2010

I went to Europe for the first time at the beginning of this summer and spent a month in Hungary (where my husband’s family is from). I absolutely loved it and am dying to go back and see more European countries! How long will you be in Paris?

109 AngelaOSG August 9, 2010

1 week unless I decide to live there forever!!!!!

110 Juliet August 4, 2010

I have never been to Europe. But I am actually going there in Sept as well. I am following a long awaited dream of mine to work abroad! I will be living and working around the London area for two years and I look forward to doing alot of traveling while I am there!! :)

111 Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 4, 2010

Your breakfasts always look like desserts!!! Yum.

I am so excited to see your journey in Paris!!! As someone who would LOVE to go there, I am going to now vicariously live through you, lol.

112 Maissa August 4, 2010

I was actually born in Paris and lived there for the first year and a half or so of my life. Because most of my extended family still lives there I go back at least once every two years (though I try and make it once a year… doesn’t always happen). I am so excited for you!

I have also been to England and Germany, which were also super fun.

I have to say the croissants in France are unlike anything I can find in North America. Seriously. If you do decide to de-veganize for just one day, have a croissant, it will be completely worth it. That being said, the baguette is absolutely amazing and vegan. I usually end up eating my body weight in baguette and croissants every time I’m in Paris, but Paris is such a walking city that I always end up losing some weight when I’m there. Yay walking!

Make sure you make it to the Musee D”Orsay, it’s amazing. Buy a city pass, it will save you the line-ups, and if you want a list of all the vegan and organic places in Paris let me know, my mom pulled up a list from when we went together when I was 14 (she was 99% vegan, except for a really good Camembert. She was French and they’ll revoke your citizenship if you don’t eat some cheese :) ), and I think I still have it somewhere. There was this one veggie (vegan friendly) Indian place in particular that I remember, we sat on the floor and course after course of AMAZING Indian dishes were brought out.

Also, the world’s best falafel is on Rue d’Rosiers in Le Marais. Go there, you wont regret it. I’ve had the falafel in Israel, and this stuff is actually better.

And do take the time to go to Versailles, the Chateau is ehhhh, but the gardens are amazing, you can get lost in them for hours (and we did).

I could keep going for a while… but I wont. Though if you do want more advice on what to do in France, and all the secret places you’ll never find, let me know.

113 Chelsea August 4, 2010

I’ve never been to Europe but I’m thinking of planning a giant month-long trip for next summer, including Paris! I can’t wait to see your posts about it.

114 One Healthy Apple August 4, 2010

How exciting! I have not traveled to Western Europe as an adult but did go when I was 5. I loved Italy and Austria.

I did travel to Eastern Europe and absolutely loved it.

115 Ellani August 4, 2010

I’m an American living in Europe. I live, in my opinion, in the most beautiful spot in Europe: right on the border of Switzerland and Germany. We have the Lake (Lake Constance) and the Swiss and Austrian Alps…gorgeous. Europe has so many great cities to see: Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, London, Dublin Prague…and don’t get me started on Italy.
BTW, Venice is much lovelier than EPL made it sound…I didn’t find it depressing at all!
And if you have had enough culture and museums there is the countryside: Provence and the South of France, Portugal, Spain, Sardinia, Tuscany…
There is so much to see and do here, I am so priviledged to live here and see it all.
Of course, North America has so much splendor too…But I love the cultural diversity here…

116 sassy molassy August 4, 2010

Ah, Paris with your mom and sis will be fabulous! I’m trying to convince my mom and gma to take a European vaca with me. We’ll see.

Last May I took my very first European vacation with a good high school friend for three weeks. We went to Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre (Italy), Provence and Paris (France), Berlin and Munich (Germany), Lucerne, Interlaken and Geneva (Switzerland). Every place was amazingly different and eye opening. We took a lot of guided bike tours around the cities, which was a fun way to learn a lot and see a lot more than we would on foot.

117 Valerie August 4, 2010

I’ve been to Paris twice and it is gorgeous! I can’t remember where I stayed the first time but the second time it was in a hotel quite close to the Eiffel Tower… I believe the Mercure : ) I loved it! The city is amazing and there is so much to do. Of course you have to do the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Versailles, Champs Elysee (not sure if I totally butchered the spelling), etc but there are a lot of other cool things too. One of my favorite parts was the Opera Garnier, which Phantom of the Opera was based on. In the future I’d like to go back to Paris and check out the catacombs and other cool parts as well!

Europe is wonderful and you will have so much fun on your travels! One of my favorite places was Barcelona — the parks designed by Gaudi are gorgeous and then you have shopping in Las Ramblas, and La Sagrada Familia (which was closed for renovations when I was there). Italy is amazing as well… lots of tourists but the cities themselves are like historical landmarks (Rome, Florence…) and the island of Capri is beautiful too. I have also been to the Netherlands (but for less than a day, so I only saw a couple of things) and Monaco, which I believe is possibly the world’s cutest country. I hope to one day marry Pierre Casiraghi, their young prince!

118 erica August 4, 2010

PARIS! i dream of going to paris….i dream of going to europe….one day i’ll make it there. i can’t wait to go via your blog! :)
so exciting!!!

119 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 4, 2010

Paris!!!!!!!! That is going to be AMAZING!!!!

120 jen August 4, 2010

GAH! I can’t wait to read you posts about Paris, me and my boyfriend are going for 10 days this October for my birthday. I’ve been there about 8 years ago, whilst I was a poor student, so I can’t wait to go there not broke! haha. I bought a couple books, I recommend chocolate and zucchini’s guide to Paris, its the perfect size to tote around and even has french recipes in there. I find indulging usually isn’t a big deal on city vacations since you end up walking everywhere, when I went to New York I ate everything in sight and still came back 4 pounds lighter.

Have an amazing trip!

121 Christy August 4, 2010

My hubby and I met over in Europe, Germany more precisely. We were stationed in the Air Force for a total of 5 years. Loved it!! Spent a lot of time in Italy and traveled quite a bit to surrounding areas around Germany. If we could go back it would definitely be to Italy! I know you will have an amazing time!!

122 karen August 4, 2010

I’ve been reading your blog for few weeks now and I think it’s my first comment today – I’m sure you’re gonna enjoy your trip in France – my last time was in March for a half marathon and I’m going back next Christmas to visit my family- every time I’m amazed by Paris…

be careful with the food – you might come back with excess in your luggage ;o)

123 bitt August 4, 2010

I’ve been to France twice. It is an amazing place. if you know some of the language do try to use it, they will appreciate your efforts. And it will help you read the menu so you know what you can eat. The first trip I took I was gluten-free and vegetarian. I was sad not to eat the bread but stll found plenty to eat. There is lots of fresh foods there and vegetables, salads, etc. the second time i went I was vegan and gluten-free. We traveled all over France. I managed to find enough food and hit up a fair amount of biocoops (health food stores). Since I was gluten-free I was not tempted by the pastries (which would have made me very sick). My husband who eats wheat but is vegan stuck to bagettes which we assumed were vegan or close enough. Anyhow, I think you will be fine, there is so much else of France to enjoy so don’t stress about the food!

124 Thais August 4, 2010

Angela, I went to Paris with my husband (who is a canadian from PEI, by the way. :) I am brazilian) in 2008 and we stayed at an Ibis Hotel next to the Gare du Nord train station. We were travelling in europe for 2 weeks and were on a budget and Ibis hotels have reasonable prices. Although the location of the hotel was convenient (next to one of the main train/ subway stations), the hotel wasn’t very nice. I heard that some Ibis hotels are better than others, and this one was definitely not one of the ‘better ones’, but you may want to check out the one close to the eiffel tower and the one close to the Opera house.
Now, I am going back to paris in september too (I will be there in the second week of september so I will just miss you! :) , and this time I actually got a 4-star hotel for super cheap by bidding on priceline! For cheaper than the Ibis hotel, I will be staying at a 4-star Novotel 1Km away from the Eiffel tower. Awesome deal! I strongly encourage you to try the same. If you need tips on how to bid on priceline effectively, shoot me an email and I can give you some tips.
Alternatively, you could pick up Rick Steeve’s travel guide to Paris (I highly recommend this book), and he gives several recommendations for hotels that fit all budgets. A friend of mine stayed at one of the Rue Cler hotels that he recommends and loved her time there.
Cheers,
Thais

125 Linda August 4, 2010

I’ve been lucky enough to live in Europe twice already and traveled there twice more, living once in Geneva Switzerland, and once in Valence, France (Provence) and travelling throughout the entire continent on my other visits. Although each place I lived was amazing and beautiful, my favourite city is Rome – so vibrant, warm and friendly. Paris and the rest of France is a must see for everyone, and you will LOVE the time you spend there, but try to go back and visit everywhere else – it is definitly worth the trip back!

126 Jessica @ Rawtumn August 4, 2010

I have been to 10 countries in Europe. <3 My favorite being Switzerland and England. So gorgeous and London is one city that I could actually see myself living in. I'm usually more fond of the countryside. I'd love to go back to Paris and make it out to Versailles though. Last time I didn't get a chance!

127 Sana August 4, 2010

I just got back from France, Italy, Switzerland and The Netherlands!! I loved Switzerland- the mountains and the air were just incredible.

128 Lauren @ Fun, Fit, and Fabulous! August 4, 2010

Oh Paris!! I’m so excited for you!! Y’all are going to have soo much fun! I have always wanted to go to Spain and Greece!

129 AGS August 4, 2010

That will be a wonderful trip, I’m sure!

Do you notice a big difference between the vanilla paste and vanilla extract?

130 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine August 4, 2010

I’m FROM Europe! :) It’s wonderful there. I’m from Belarus but I’ve also been to Poland, Germany, and England.

131 Tracey August 4, 2010

Wow! Paris!!! That’s so exciting. I am dying to go to Europe!

132 Jennifer August 4, 2010

Hi!
It is my first comment on your blog. I love it, you’re very inspirational for me. I’m sorry if my english is not perfect. Actually, I’m french and live in Paris! So if you need any advice for your trip, or venues ideas, do not hesitate to send me an email. You’ll love Paris, the city is amazing! Thanks again for your blog.
May be we will see each other in Paris in september! Who knows!
xxxx

133 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 4, 2010

That’s very exciting. I also never knew that there is vanilla bean paste, were did you get it and how can I get my hands on some????

134 Nicole @ Getting Back to the Basics August 4, 2010

Um…can I have one of those, please? :)

135 Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) August 4, 2010

Nice! I LOOOOVE traveling. If you’re in Paris and have time to spare, I think you would love a little time in southern France. It’s very different than Paris, but absolutely wonderful….and much more easy to converse with the natives. Regardless, your trip is going to be awesome!

136 Tracey @ TropicalHappiness August 4, 2010

I love Paris! My husband and I went there last summer on our honeymoon! (We also went to Italy: Venice, Sorrento and Rome!). It was amazing! We stayed at the Hotel Regina which is a great hotel across the street from the Louvre and the Tuileries Gardens. My hubby and I saw SO MUCH of the city… it’s amazing!!!!!!

137 Erin D. August 4, 2010

Hey Angela!
So you’re going to Paris–awesome! I have yet to post on your blog but I just love reading it. :) Paris is wonderful, and the food is simply to die for, though I have to admit my heart resides in Italy. I loved traveling there while studying abroad. “Twas fantastic. My favorite city there is definitely Florence: amazing art, charming streets, etc. There’s also Cinque Terre, which is simply gorgeous hiking :)

138 Gloria August 4, 2010

You are going to LOVE Paris!!! I’ve been to Italy, Switzerland, Greece, England, and France. Greece was my favorite ;)

I failed eating 100% vegan in Paris because of the pastries (chocolate croissants? macarons? yes please!) however they are really veg friendly. The Jewish quarter has some of the best falafel you will ever have in your life and I hear there is even a vegan restaurant in Paris now!

139 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 4, 2010

That’s so exciting!! I can’t wait to see your Paris photos. I’m a pretty well-traveled person, but haven’t seen much of Europe and I’d love to go one day. Will you be staying in a hotel that has a food processor for making banana soft serve? ;)

140 suz August 4, 2010

I went to Spain – Madrid for 3 days & Canary Islands (considered Europe?) for almost 3 months. Correction: I was sent there! My parents were trying to break me and my bf up, and the way they decided to do it was by enticing me to go to Spain… without a return flight! The drama of youth…

Long story short, I figured out their motives after they start avoiding my phone calls – don’t worry, I was staying with relatives – and when my relatives tried to set me up on dates with random Korean men. I say random bc I didn’t know who they were. Few months later, I called bf in tears and he rescued me and flew me home. <3

10 years later, we're happily partnered and my parents are finally coming around…

Other than that bizarre trip, I've never returned but I would love to go! Tomorrow I get to go to Peru so I'm not complaining… YAY!!! ;)

141 suz August 4, 2010

BTW, I can’t wait for your trip blogs! I’ve never been to Paris. It’ll probably be interesting to see if it’s possible to work out while traveling (how does that work) and eat healthfully (what a change?). Maybe it’ll be easier to rent an apt? Anyway, I can’t wait to see how you plan to work out your trip details! :)

As for me and my impending trip, I’m just going to “go with the flow” and try to avoid fried things. That’s the only rule. ha!

142 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 4, 2010

OMG PARIS!!!! You’re so lucky!!! We all expect lots and lots of pictures!

143 Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 4, 2010

This may seem kind of random, but I think your photography is beautiful! Do you mind if I ask what kind of camera you have? I’m currently looking for one…

144 AngelaOSG August 9, 2010

A Canon 30D

145 Miranda @ MirandasJeans August 4, 2010

I went to Paris in April ’08. I loved loved loved it. We stayed at Hotel Des Goblins, it was a basic hotel that was pretty cheap and clean. The owners are a husband and wife she is Jamaican and speaks English and he is from Paris I believe.

Tip, take a day and have an afternoon picnic in Jardin Luxembourg. Take a blanket, and stop at the local food markets grab some goodies, and a bottle of wine. Don’t forget like I did, that you can sit in a public park drinking from a bottle of wine (that isn’t in a brown paper bag). LOL.

Exciting!

146 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 4, 2010

ooooh i am super excited for you!!! Mr BBB and I travelled around Europe for 5 weeks a few years ago including France, Germany, Spain, Austria, Czech Republic, Italy. Oh my – it was the best trip of my life!!

147 Katie T August 4, 2010

I’m so jealous!! I was in Paris for a week or so a couple months ago, and it was one of the most amazing weeks of my life. I love absolutely everything about that city!
In terms of eating, I’m also a vegan, but I told myself beforehand that I would be OK with making some compromises. I had visited Paris once before as a non-vegan, and knew there were a few things that I would regret not taking the chance to eat while I was there. So I indulged in a few things like Pain au Chocolate aux Amandes (chocolate almond croissant…amazing!), fresh raspberry crepes, and freshly-made white truffle pasta. I didn’t have any meat, of course, but I was OK with the fact that some of what I was eating had dairy or eggs in it.
Also, in terms of a FABULOUS vegan meal, it doesn’t get much better than L’As du Falafel in the Jewish quarter. They’re not kidding when they say it’s the world’s best falafel!!

148 Johanna August 4, 2010

I love your dessert today! I am going to give it a try as soon as I can, which won’t be soon as I am having surgery tomorrow and I probably won’t be cooking or myself for at least a month.

Anywho…my husband and I went to northern spain and southern france a couple of years ago. Barcelona and the mediterranean were lovely (especially the resort towns on the Catalonian coast), and we were enamored of Southern France. The food, the people, the pastoral countryside and the sunflowers. We went to Basque Country and didn’t really like it. I’ve been reading Eat Pray Love and I would love to go to Italy now!

149 Heather August 4, 2010

wow that looks like a yummy dessert, not breakfast!

paris sounds so fun!

150 R August 4, 2010

Yay, I hope you enjoy it! (One note: that’d be “mes petites detectives”…. :) )

151 Holly August 4, 2010

This is not regarding traveling, but where do you find vanilla bean paste? Have you ever cooked with whole vanilla beans before? Your recipes are definitely inspiring! I am thinking vanilla overnight oats might be in order!

152 AngelaOSG August 9, 2010

YES whole vanilla beans are INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

153 Maya August 4, 2010

I love something 108347 times more if I see vanilla bean specs. It’s true.

Paris! How exciting! I love to travel and or me, it’s important to sample local cuisine. Gotta live it up while you’re there! I understand that veganism comes with ethical issues as well (I’m a part time vegan, full time vegetarian) but for me, it’s more important to embrace the culture that I’m in. However I don’t eat meat. That is a non negotiable. I was an exchange student in Belgium last year and took full advantage of discount airlines to travel through Europe as much as possible!

154 caronae August 4, 2010

That’s one pretty delicious looking breakfast sundae. Mmmm.

I have been to Paris twice; I have plenty of family in and around France and my mom’s whole family used to live there. I love it! Running is a great way to get to know the city. So lively and so many cute streets, parks, cafes. My favorite museum in the whole world is there, the Picasso Museum!

155 kelli August 4, 2010

Love it, so exciting!! I have always wanted to go to Italy!!

156 Tanya Kummerow August 4, 2010

I had the opportunity to visit Prague two years ago. I went as a delegate from the YMCA to an International Youth Gathering. I recruited 7 teens and helped fundraise for all of us to go. It was an amazing experience. We stayed in hostels, and met people from all over the world. That has been my only European trip to date, but I’m excited to go back someday. Specifically Paris! You are going to have such a wonderful time! I cannot wait to read all about it!

157 Meghan-Rose August 4, 2010

I definitely think you should eat whatever you want when you’re over in Paris!!! I travelled in Europe for 3 weeks last year and I treated myself to many local delicacies…still no meat but I allowed myself to have dairy…no cheese, but food with dairy in it. I say go for it!!!

158 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA August 4, 2010

I’m excited for you!

I was born in Germany. Besides that, I’ve been to England, Ireland, France, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Sweden, Estonia, and Russia. And I loved all of them. Estonia is an especially cool destination that’s somewhat uncommon.

And you definitely can eat vegan in France if you want to. Personally, I can’t imagine eating dairy again. Blechh.

159 Charlie@CharlieGirlBlog August 4, 2010

I’d love to buy clothes, just for a Paris trip. I think you should. You make the most beautiful oat parfaits…truly, you have a gift :)

160 Allison @ Food For Healing August 4, 2010

Oooo Paris how exciting!!!!!

I want to go to Italy so bad, maybe one day, might take 5 years like you said haha.
Can’t wait to read the blog posts while your in Paris, keep it mostly English so we can understand though haha

161 Amie August 4, 2010

Angela,

Dr Oz stole your green monster idea! :( Well, its not your original recipe, but he’s calling it a “green monster”. Check it out here: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/anti-aging-green-monster-drink

162 amie August 4, 2010

i just got back (literally, im in the calgary airport waiting for a flight to edmonton!) from a year of living and traveling in Europe! we were just in Italy and Iceland, both were so different but so amazing! Paris was one of my very favorite cities, it’s so beautiful! you’ll love it!!!

163 Cara August 5, 2010

Traveling to Europe is still a dream, but I hope I can make it a reality in the future.
My must visit place is Croatia!
My dream is to sail from Greece up to Croatia…we will see :)

164 Genki August 5, 2010

Paris is wonderful! I can’t say anything about hotels as I stayed with my sister both times I went there as an adult but would definitely agree with the poster above who said to take in the Musee D’orsay. It’s fantastic. The parks and gardens are stunning too – Jardin de Luxembourg especially (although I may have been influenced by the fact that they were right by my sister’s flat).

I’m sure you’ll have your hands full just trying to see the main sights of Paris but take some time to just wander. Guidebooks often have some great walks you can follow and I came across some of the best little shopping streets that way (in fact I may have been following a walk designed for that from the Lonely Planet). Beautiful city.

Have a great time!

165 Katy August 5, 2010

So exciting! I live 4 hours from Paris, in Germany. Love that city! Hope you all have a wonderful time!!

166 Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com August 5, 2010

I have not been to Europe but please post pics so I can live vicariously through you! Have fun :)

Also, this soft serve really looks yummy. I honestly did not like ice cream until this past year. All of a sudden it popped up on my radar and now I am craving it. I will have to freeze some bananas and give my food processor a chance!

167 Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 5, 2010

oh my goodness how exciting!! My sister just got back from living in Paris for a while. I have to be honest, for that amount of time I was very bitter towards the city for taking my bestie away but now I’m sure it’ll be awesome. hehe

168 Brittany August 5, 2010

I spent the past spring semester studying abroad in Ireland. I also had the chance to visit Paris, Prague (a must-see). Venice, Rome, Athens, and London. Europe is fantastic. Its also great that you know the language (at least well enough to get by). I didn’t know any french and as a vegetarian Paris was utterly overwhelming. No one was really helpful with that, I feel like they don’t really get the idea of not eating meat. Good luck!

169 Camille August 5, 2010

Props to you… running in strong humidity freaks me out. I hate the sticky feeling!

170 denielle August 5, 2010

Paris is so beautiful, my husband and I honeymooned there. I hope you have a wonderful time! I was vegetarian, not vegan, at the time and I had no problem with meals. I highly recommend L’as du falafel on Rue des Rosiers. I actually think their giant falafel wrap was my favorite meal during our trip! We also went to a great vegetarian restaurant called La Victoire Supreme Du Coeur. You should also try and check out Fat Tire Bike Tours – inexpensive way to see the city and surrounding areas and get a little exercise too to work off those rich desserts :) We did a bike tour through the countryside to Monet’s Garden and enjoyed it so much we booked another bike tour with them the next day – riding around Versailles, also really fun! You must be so excited!

171 Stacy (Little Blue Hen) August 5, 2010

I’ve been to Europe 4 times and looooove it. I spent a month in the Netherlands in college, then my mom and I did a 21-day tour all over Europe then went to Prague and Vienna. My husband and I went to Greece, Italy, and Croatia on our honeymoon, and then Mom and I went to Sicily for a few weeks two years ago. I’m actually posting my favorite recipe from the Sicily trip on my blog in the next day or so!

Next time we go I promised my history-buff husband that we could do WWII sites. He’s an awesome travel buddy.

172 Jaclyn August 5, 2010

Wow, yum-looking pancakes, all of them! Okay, seriously, you have me drooling over my desk and keyboard! Where are mine?!

So, so proud of Caitlin and all her OB efforts, what an accomplishment and how fun it has been to literally watch it before my *our* eyes!

173 Megan @ Sweet On August 5, 2010

You three should look into going to The Gentle Gourmet for private dinner

Basically, it’s a French-American family (mom and two adult children) who run a tiny vegan B&B in a gorgeous apartment near the Arc de Triomphe. The offer private dinners for anyone who signs up (you don’t have to be a guest) and it’s all homemade. I went with a friend in December 09 – what an experience! The food was great – Indian themed the night I was there, but it’s different every day.

174 Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear August 6, 2010

Paris is wonderful, you’ll love it!