Bon Voyage!

Those of you who guessed I am going to Paris in September are correct! Good work, ma petite détectives, good work. ;)

During the 3rd week in September, I will be on an all girl’s trip with OSGMOM and my sister Kristi. We have been planning a trip together for over 5 years now and we couldn’t be more excited. [I would like to thank Eat Pray Love for giving my mom the travel bug again. She called me about this trip idea shortly after starting, and falling in love, with the book!] I took French Immersion in school (from grade 7-11), but I will have to brush up on my French skills before leaving.

I will be blogging while I am away and I am excited to take you on this journey with me. However it is quite possible I may turn into a coffee-drinking, croissant loving, bon-bon eating non-vegan. I can’t be sure. I will be talking more later on about how I plan on eating while there. ;)

Now onto less exciting, but equally delicious things…breakfast…

IMG 5281 thumb   Bon Voyage!

We have a situation here!!!

Today I used 1/8th tsp of Vanilla Bean Paste in the banana soft serve and it was delicious!

IMG 5250 thumb   Bon Voyage!

Swirlz.

IMG 5254 thumb   Bon Voyage!

Tip: If you can’t get your processor to make Banana soft serve, add a splash of almond milk to speed things along.

IMG 5255 thumb   Bon Voyage!

Check out the specs of vanilla bean! Mmmm.

IMG 5258 thumb   Bon Voyage!

I made it with layers of blueberries, Nature’s Path rice crisp, and cacao nibs.

IMG 5260 thumb   Bon Voyage!

And a raspberry on top for colour!

IMG 5265 thumb   Bon Voyage!

For the vegan overnight oats, I used my classic recipe.

IMG 5269 thumb   Bon Voyage!

It was pretty much out of control goodness, as per usual.

IMG 5270 thumb   Bon Voyage!  IMG 5278 thumb   Bon Voyage!

Today’s question: Have you ever been anywhere in Europe? Where did you stay and what did you think about it? If you haven’t been, where would you like to visit?

Well, I am off for another busy day of work. Today is Operation: Healthy Living Summit day. I will be making over 225 Glo Bars complete with custom name tags for the HLS and shipping them out tomorrow! I also need to work on Kristin’s Wedding Favours and Ambrosia + customer orders. Going to be a busy one! Wheeeeeee. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices August 4, 2010

I am dying to go to Europe with my husband and hope to get these next year. I am so jealous you are going, but I look forward to following your travels!! Good luck with all of the baking!

banandrea August 4, 2010

Oh my goodness that sounds like so much fun- I’m super jealous of your trip! I spent a year in France when I was 11, so I had the opportunity to visit much of the country as well as the neighbouring countries, and it was without a doubt the most interesting year of my life! I love all the old architecture in France and how there will just be a random old building right next to something new- the juxtaposition of old and new gets me every time. I also went to Italy and Greece when I was 17, and absolutely loved both of the countries.. *sigh* now I feel like travelling! I feel like once you get the travel bug, it’s so hard to stop! If only money grew on trees.. then I’d be set :)

jessica @ how sweet August 4, 2010

Omg!! That is so exciting! You are going to have such an amazing time!

Julianne August 4, 2010

How exciting! I’ve never been to Europe, but have always wanted to go. Eastern Europe is at the top of my list!

Ashley August 4, 2010

I LOVE vanilla bean paste!!! I’ve been to Italy, on a 10 day school trip in my 3rd year of college and Ireland with Chris on our honeymoon. I told you about Ireland, how we traveled around by car for the whole trip and had a blast. In Italy we stayed in 2 main cities, Genoa + Rome. I’m not sure I could go to Italy and make it out without eating some fresh genoa salami. It just might not be possible! ;) There are SO many places Chris + I want to travel too. Once things are more stable, I hope to make it somewhere fun! So excited for you!!!

Kerry August 4, 2010

I studied abroad in Europe in college and absolutely fell in love with it. I stayed in London for 4 months but while I was there I visited Italy, Scotland, Ireland and France (twice!). You are going to fall in love and not want to come back. I always say if I go back to France or Italy I would give up being vegan for a week because the food is so delicious! I’m interested to see what vegan options you have – can’t wait to hear all about it! You also might want to buy some extra memory cards because I can only imagine how many thousands of pictures you will take :)

Meredith August 4, 2010

My fiance took me to Paris last year! We stayed for two weeks and rented a car to see other parts of france, Switzerland and Italy. The most spectacular sights are the castles. Museums are lovely but to actually stand within the historic structures is breathtaking, and something entirely unachievable in Canada. If you have time, a day trip to the Loire Valley (famous for their wine!) with a stop at the Château de Chambord would be well worth it.

I can’t wait to see what you are inspired to bake up after sampling the pastry in Paris! You might have to make a small exception for butter;)

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs August 4, 2010

Paris – how exciting! Sure worth the 5yr wait :p
I’ve been to France, Holland, Spain, Portugal (spelt wrong :p), uhh,,Belgium, Scotland…..I’m sure some others but I can’t remember :p it’s easy when you live in England!

haya August 4, 2010

what an awesome trip!!

good luck on getting things done today

jaclyn August 4, 2010

How fun! I’m going to be in Paris then too :-). My husband and I are traveling to Provence and Burgundy first and finishing our trip with just under a week in Paris. I can’t wait! I’ve never been to France, but I was an exchange student in Germany during high school and a couple of years ago the hubby and I did a hiking trip to England and Scotland! I love Europe! Every time I go, I immediately start thinking of when I can go again.

Kate August 4, 2010

I’ve been to Paris and Belgium (Brussels & Bruges) and I absolutely LOVED both of them and want to go back to both someday. What I love about Europe in general is the history behind everything and the old architecture.

JL Goes Vegan August 4, 2010

Oh yes, let’s of time in Europe! Paris, London, Dublin, Belfast, Belgium and a hop, skip and jump to Sarajevo and Zagreb! So much to see and do! I usually stay at the Hotel Ares in Paris. I love it because it’s close to the Metro but you’re staying in a neighborhood. Feels more like being a part of daily life there. ENJOY!

Alexa @ Sohdalex August 4, 2010

omg, I didn’t know about the existence if vanilla bean paste!! I will have to find/purchase immediately. Growing up I never wanted vanilla ice cream unless it had the ‘black specks’ ;)
I guess even then I knew what was up.

I have been to London before, when I was much younger, and enjoyed it, But I leave in September for France as well! I will be mostly in southern France but in Paris for a week in October. Can’t wait to see what you do while there! :)

Jess August 4, 2010

I lived in the Ukraine! I’ve also traveled all over Europe, a total of 19 countries. You will have a fantastic time in Paris.

Roxane August 4, 2010

Hi Angela,

And thank you so much for your very inspiring blog! I’ve been following it regularly now for the past few weeks and I have to say you always manage to speak to my heart and soul.

Never commented before but as I see you’re off to my home country, I wanted to have the honour to wish you the warmest welcome! I hope you have a wonderful time in Paris and enjoy the beautiful food we have everywhere. Will you be travelling any other places?

Being a vegan in France might be tricky though as people already have struggle with the vegetarian concept: oh no meat, certainly miss, would you prefer some ham or some fish?… Hmmmm ;o) Hehe, but you ladies will be fine, with your beautiful smile and catchy happiness, the waiters will be more than happy serving you anything you want!

Holly August 4, 2010

That is going to be such an awesome trip!!

I went to London in college with a couple of girlfriends. The city was beautiful but it was so cold! It was also March, so I should have expected it. I would really love to go to Italy. I heard it is warmer there. :-)

Katie August 4, 2010

My mom and I went to Paris for a week also! I’m so excited for you ladies to experience (in my opinion) the most beautiful city in the world! I would move there in a heartbeat!!!! I highly recommend getting fresh vegetable soup anywhere you go. I can’t remember where I got it, but we were at lunch and it was amazing! Sitting outside while eating and watching people walk by was so much fun. My mom and I would spend close to 3 hours at dinner just chatting, eating, drinking wine, and watching people wondering what their daily lives are like.

Oh my gosh, I could go on and on about Paris, but I’ll stop here. If you ever want restaurant suggestions, let me know. :) Also, seeing the Mona Lisa was unreal. I had tears in my eyes walking into the room… it’s nothing like you’d ever imagine.

Katie August 4, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel de l’abbaye and it was absolutely beautiful! We ate breakfast in the garden every morning.

jenna August 4, 2010

how fun! to have an all girls trip and to paris no less!!! awesome.

your breakfast looks stunning per usual. ;)

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 4, 2010

Yay! I’m so excited for you! You are going to love it.

This past June my husband and I went to Barcelona and Paris. Paris is absolutely beautiful!! While the museums and other sites are amazing, my favorite part about being there was just wandering around the city, taking in the architecture, smells and life going on all around me. I am so ready to go back!

I’m interested to see what your take is on eating while you’re there. While I did eat vegetarian there, I was very lax on eating vegan. For me it was very difficult to find vegan options, especially because most of the places we stopped were boulangeries/pattisseries (read: affordable), which meant everything was pre-made and sitting in the window. For me, that was all a part of the experience! I don’t regret it at all:)

One last thing – hands down the most exhilarating experience we had there, was using the bike system. They have bike stations all around the city, and if you’re lucky your credit card will work and you can rent a bike to get around. We would walk most of the day bc it’s the best way to take everything in, but at night when our feet were aching and sore, we’d hop on a bike and cruise around for hours. My most memorable moment was coasting by the Eiffel Tower late at night, marveling as it lit up and sparkled in all its glory. Priceless.

Sorry for the novel! I’m so excited to follow your trip!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut August 4, 2010

I would love to go to Europe and visit Italy and Paris, those are my must see places. Maybe for my honeymoon, lol!

I can’t wait to go to Paris with you, well…through your blog anyways. Your pictures are great so I’m sure you will capture the spirit of Paris through the blog. How exciting!

Alina August 4, 2010

Wow! this is great! i’ve just got back from Paris last week! it was an amazing week! well from what i’ve seen Paris isn’t a very vegan friendly city, but most cafes have in their menus salades composees, and there were vegeterian options, also you could order small entree (appetizer) and salad for example. And bread! it’s soooooo good. Eric Kayser’s boulangeries are great! you HAVE to try pain aux cereals! and if you’re going to eat diary while there, get Amorino gelato! it’s awesome! and also if you accidentelly will eat eggs and cheese try gallette (crepe made of buckwheat flour) from Breizh cafe or any other cafe! you’ll have amzing time with your family!
p.s. i just had to correct you, it’s actually mes petites detectives, sorry! :)

Sabina August 4, 2010

I’ll be in Paris this fall too!

I’ve been to a bunch of different places in Europe: Amsterdam, London, Dublin, Berlin, Munich, Bern, Rome, Venice, Nice, Barcelona, and Paris!

This fall, we’re doing the “Keep the Summer Going Tour”: French Riviera, Barcelona, Madrid, and ending with a few days in Paris.

Paris is so incredibly beautiful!

To stay healthy (and keep costs down), we made use of grocery stores for breakfast, snacks, and sometimes lunch or dinner. I fell in love with Monoprix (French grocery chain).

Lizzie August 4, 2010

I have been to Europe twice (though more if you count travelling to the UK as a child and living there temporarily in my 20′s). My husband and I took advantage of an offer for young alums of his college and did an 8-day trip from Amsterdam to Brussels to Paris for $800 each – including airfare!!! It was my first Europe ‘Europe’ experience and I loved it. Paris surprised me the most. It had not been high on my list of places to visit, but it was amazing. 2 years ago we went to Oktoberfest in Munich, then took the train through Italy and Austria to Nice, had a couple of nights there, then went to Paris for another couple of days. Last year my husband returned to Oktoberfest with two guy friends who enjoy beer – I was more interested in photo-taking and people watching :) We were supposed to go to Bosnia this summer (we have a friend who spends 6 weeks there every summer – lucky!), but after going home in June it was just to much $$$$.
Other places I would love to visit are Greece, Bosnia, and Switzerland.

You will LOVE LOVE LOVE Paris – and (please don’t construe this as a judgement or anything – I truly think your way of eating is beneficial, not to mention delicious!) if you can please don’t deprive yourself of the wonderful food there for the sake of a week of being vegan :) The cheese and bread are amazing (for some reason I didn’t eat too many desserts – not sure why). Unless of course there are alternatives and being a bakers dream, I am sure there are.
You’ll be doing heaps of walking (and maybe some running? I did in Nice) and that should help balance things out :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 4, 2010

i would DIE if i got to go to Paris in september!!! what a fun trip…i’ve never been anywhere in Europe, although Paris and all of Italy are on the TOP of my list!

Leah @ L4L August 4, 2010

I lived in Europe for 9 years growing up – military brat! My fav places were Germany (like Bavaria and west Germany, not Berlin) + Italy (south, the Amafi coast, Napoli, etc.). I actually despise places like Rome, Paris, Amsterdam. They are all just tourist crap dirty cities. Take me to the South of France to the wine country. Take me to the villages of Yorkshire. Take me to the real Europe.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 4, 2010

I love Paris. It’s hands-down the most beautiful city in the world. I went when I was in high school and I love it.

As for Europe, I’ve also been to Madrid, Barcelona, Nice, Rome, Venice, Florence, and Prague. I’m dying to go to Germany, Russia, Switzerland, and Belgium.

Camille August 4, 2010

Last summer I went to Ireland, Scotland, and England and it was one of the best experiences of my life! I want to go overseas again the second money allows!

Shannon August 4, 2010

How fun! And romantic – ooh lala! I studied abroad in San Sebastian Spain (right over the border from South-western France), and I LOVED it! It’s an adorable old city right on the beach, rich with Basque pride. If you had a few days to kill I’d say it’s worth the overnight train ride!

Ilana August 4, 2010

Oh maaaaaaan you’re going to have a fabulous time! I would definitely abandon veganism for the shores of buttery crossaints in Paris – I’ve been to Paris once, when I was 12, and I’d love to go back! I’ve also spent some time in London, but that’s the extent of my Eurotour! I really want to go back – and I want to see EVERYTHING. That’s kind of my dream in life, though, to go everywhere. Spain, Italy, Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany, and on and on and on …. ahhhhhh I need to go!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 4, 2010

Ahhhh, how exciting!!!!!! Or, tres excite, ha! I lived in France for six months in a tiny village about an hour north of Nice, and I still remember it as one of the most meaningful times in my life. I cherish my memories there!

Erin @ The Making of a Teacher August 4, 2010

Paris is one of my favorite places on Earth – the last time I went was with my mom and sister too! My sister studied there for a year and we joined her for her last couple of weeks. It’s an amazing city and I’m sure you’ll love it. I would also say include cheese and butter in your diet just for that one week – it’s a totally different experience with them in France and I think it’d be a horrible one to miss! I ate chocolate croissants every morning.

Rachelle August 4, 2010

What a coincidence! My husband and I (both vegans) are going to Paris in 10 days. I love looking for vegetarian restaurants when I travel. Maybe you could start a vegetarian directory. Here is a link with a video clip of one of the vegetarian restaurants in Paris that we plan to visit.
I am looking forward to your blogs from Paris. I will let you know what we discover while we are there. By the way, I am one of the people who stocked up on Glo bars at the market on Saturday (actually my parents picked them up for me). I love your blog.
Rachelle

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 4, 2010

My husband and I went to Paris last October! We stayed in various Hilton hotels around the city, but one of our favorites was the Hilton Arc de Triomphe! It’s a great location for walking to various sites! We also enjoyed the Marriott Rive Gauche hotel, which allowed us to walk to our FAVORITE districts of the city– St. Germain and Marais! Make sure you visit both of those!!!!

We also made a day-trip to Disneyland Paris, which was SO fun! The rides are really different from the ones in the US– many of them are SCARIER!! (they go upside-down!)

So excited to hear more about your trip! (and I’m going to be totally jealous!) ;)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 4, 2010

I would LOVE to go to Europe though I have never been! I will be hopefully be studying architecture in Rome next summer though.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 4, 2010

Girls trip’s are the best – my friends and I try to do one each year. Good for your soul!

I’ve never been to Europe, but we are thinking of doing a 1 Year Anniversary trip there, possibly to Greece.

andrea @ Food Not Fuss August 4, 2010

Paris! How fun! I would love to go there someday!

May I ask where you got the vanilla bean paste? Is it local, or something you ordered for the bakery? Love those specks of real vanilla! (And speaking of bakery, I can’t WAIT to try your bars at HLS!!)

Casey Thomas August 4, 2010

Hi Angela,

I love Paris so much. I was there about 2 months ago and I am also a vegan and mostly raw. I actually did a fair bit of research and created a list of places to buy health foods while I was there. If you like, I can email it to you?

Most of the time I just had salads at restaurants but the list was still useful.

You must try the dark chocolate varieties in Paris. Ooh la la!

Love,
Casey

AngelaOSG August 9, 2010

Hi Casey,

Thanks for your offer for the info! I think I am just going to wing this trip though. Should be interesting :)

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini August 4, 2010

Well y’know what with living in Europe and everything ;)

My favourite city is Rome. God I love Rome!

It is so hard to be vegan in Europe though (outside of the UK, it’s easy to be vegan in the UK). In both Paris and Rome I eat fish (mostly because I can’t eat dairy so my compromise is fish).

I do love me a croissant though. I pretend they are made with vegan spread and not buttery goodness….

Michelle August 4, 2010

Oh, I love Paris! And it looks like we will be there the same week!

15 years ago Mom and I took a self-guided bicycle trip through Burgundy and it was the best trip of my life. After a week of bike riding in the country, we spent a few days in Paris and I just fell in love with that place. My husband and I have been talking about going for years, but it’s been difficult to find time, set a date, etc. I decided to buy tickets to some sort of major event in Paris to provide inspiration to actually buy airfare, and it worked! We will be seeing U2 while we are there.

Have fun, can’t wait to see the photos and read the stories.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 4, 2010

I am so excited about your trip! I would love to go on a trip with my mom and sisters — just the girls!

I stayed in Germany for a month during college for a brief study abroad program. We lived in a house in Potsdam (20 students and 1 teacher) and traveled to a few different cities. Berlin was such a neat city – it seemed so modern and futuristic in a way. Next summer J and I are planning a little trip to the Caribbean and I would love to go to Greece one day.

Page 1 of 512345»