Fright In The Night

Bang, bang, bang, bang!!!

Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring!!!

Bang, bang, bang, bang!!!

This is what Eric and I had the pleasure of waking up to at 3:30 in the morning!

Two people decided that it would be a good idea to wake us up by pounding super loud on our front door (and a few windows) and ringing the doorbell 6 or 7 times.  I tell you I have ever in my life woken up in such a fright. The adrenaline was pumping through my veins and I was instantly awake, despite being in the middle of the night.

I did what any girl would do in my situation; I shot out of bed and put on a pair of jean shorts.

Eric said, ‘Where are you going?’

‘I don’t know, but should I need to leave I will need shorts on.’

It’s kind of one of those things that you look back on and laugh. At the time I was all business. I had a plan and my shorts were coming with me.

My heart was pounding in my chest. Just before the loud banging, I was having a scary dream, so my nerves were already on edge.

Eric and I walked to the front bedroom to peer out at the street.

We saw two sets of footprints going diagonally across the lawn, where the people had run across the lawn. The grass was still bent into the ground.

All kinds of thoughts were going through my mind. Who would do such a thing?!

‘Just some kids playing nicky nicky nine doors Ange. It’s summer…’

Sketchie too was anxious. You know when you can see anxiety and fear on an animal’s face? They kind of perk up their ears, get very still, and listen closely. When Sketchie does this it totally creeps me out, lol.

I didn’t sleep for a long time.

I looked at the clock and it said 4am. I said to myself, ‘Not even 2 hours until daylight, then I can get up and everything will be better.’

From 4-5am I listened to every creak in our old house (there are many more than I ever dreamed). Finally, I calmed down and sleep won the battle of the nerves. I had nightmares about someone breaking into the house. However, my Brother in Law Dave brought over a Great Dane and saved the day (hahaha!). I woke when the sun rose. I thought to myself, ‘I’m glad it is light out now.’ before drifting back to sleep until 7am.

Needless to say when we got up this morning we both felt like we were hit by a truck! I woke up with a headache and dark circles under my eyes.

A Green Monster was called for…I had planned for vegan overnight oats, but I just wasn’t feeling it. I needed greens and I needed Maca!

And tea. Copious amounts of tea!!!!

IMG_4438

I felt better already. Her Mix-A-Lot calms me. The blending is very hypnotic to watch.

IMG_4404 IMG_4406

Look at this awesome Green Monster glass that Nancy made me!

IMG_4414

hehehe!!

IMG_4422

IMG_4430

In the green monster: 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass wheatgrass powder, ice, kale, blueberries, 1/2 frozen banana.

IMG_4437

and a Raw Energy Cookie Bite on the side!

IMG_4426

I felt a lot better after this breakfast.

Have you ever been woken up in the middle of the night with a fright?

1 Kerry July 26, 2010

That’s so annoying!! Just last night (actually about 12:45am today) I woke up to a loud crash coming from my living room. I was too scared to check it out in case it was a burglar, but then my mind went wandering and I thought “What if the TV broke?!” so I got up to investigate. It turns out my roommate’s cat had knocked over a large framed picture that is waiting to be hanged on the wall. I felt bad for the cat – I’m sure she was trying to play and accidentally knocked it over and it probably scared the daylights out of her. It took me a while to fall back asleep too. As if Monday mornings didn’t suck enough…

2 Jessica @ How Sweet July 26, 2010

That is my worst nightmare. My husband travels a lot and I am always afraid something like that will happen!

3 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 26, 2010

My husband went around opening all the rooms and closet doors before bed last night because the front door was open and he wanted to make sure no one snuck in the house and was hiding in a closet.

4 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 26, 2010

I was woken up last week by one of the cats knocking over a chair (rascal!) In my sleep it sounded much louder and more dangerous and I remember darting up out of bed, wide eyed but not really sure what I would do if it were anything otehr then a pet-related incident!

5 Madeline - Greens and Jeans July 26, 2010

Eeek! A couple weeks ago there was a huge windstorm here and a branch crashed down on my balcony. I woke up convinced someone was trying to break into my apartment!

6 Layla July 26, 2010

I’m sure it was some stupid kids trying to be funny, but seriously. Why would anyone find that to be funny?? That’s scary. :(

7 Kris July 26, 2010

How scary!!! There is nothing worse than being woken up in the night in a fright and then not being able to get back to sleep :( Cheers to a better night sleep tonight!

8 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies July 26, 2010

How lame! I mean – okay so kids want to pull pranks…but you don’t do it at 330 in the morning! I can only imagine how freaked out you were – I know I would have been!! Glad it was just a prank though and nothing more.

9 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 26, 2010

Oh my gosh, that would totally freak me out!!!! So sorry that happened to y’all :-(

10 Paige @ Running Around Normal July 26, 2010

Ugggh so annoying! Good thing you had Eric at home with you. I think I’d be fine if the husband would be there with me, but I would be scared sh!tless if that would happen to me and I was alone.
Hope you get more energy as the day goes on!

11 Daniel July 26, 2010

I’ve been woken up many times by our cats knocking something over upstairs. But frightened? One day … or night rather, my roommate and I were both asleep and at about 11 PM someone shot off some fireworks outside on the street. My roommate practically jumped out of bed like there was gunfire going off, it was hysterical!

I love the green monster glass, it’s so adorable!!!

12 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 26, 2010

I haven’t really been woken by something like that, but occasionally I’ll hear noises, then I keep myself awake trying to listen for more, and as a result I can’t get back to sleep. It is so annoying, and yes, it means I wake up feeling like I’ve been hit by a truck!! Glad it wasn’t anything serious though. I hope you have a good day! :)

13 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 26, 2010

Oh gosh, that sounds so scary!! I live in the middle of nowhere, so that’s never happened to me…though once when I was little, my sister’s friend’s dad came to pick her up, but he got the time wrong and I was the only one home. I didn’t recognize him so I locked myself in the bathroom for an hour, scared about who he was :P

14 Lizzie July 26, 2010

A few years ago, my husband was away for the weekend so I was home alone. At that point we were living in an apartment building, so there was one main door to get into (either with a key or being buzzed in) before you could access any of the other apartments. About 2.30am someone (in theory I think may have been drunk) started shoulder charging the door, gently at first, but then seriously trying to break in! I woke up towards the end of it and started panicking, but eventually the footsteps went away. The next morning I tried to go out the front door and the person had damaged the lock badly enough that I couldn’t open it from the inside! I had to climb over the deck railing (thankfully we were on the ground floor) and enter from the front.
Sorry you guys had such a scare! Do you have neighbours nearby you could ask about what happened?

15 Maya July 26, 2010

Oh my, I’m so sorry to hear about that. At least you weren’t alone, I can only imagine how much scarier that would be.

That glass is ADORABLE!

16 Ameena July 26, 2010

How scary! I wouldn’t have been able to sleep either…for days! Being mugged can do that to you.

I hope that you figure out what happened…I agree with a previous commenter that you should ask your neighbors if they experienced the same thing!

17 Helga July 26, 2010

About a year ago my husband and I were woken up by sounds of broken glass coming from the kitchen. I thought it was one of my kids. Turns out a racoon had broken into the house through a basement window and proceeded to trash the kitchen.

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

those crazy raccoons!

19 Cassie July 26, 2010

I’m glad it wasn’t anything horribly serious, though!!
The only midnight fright that comes to my mind was one night a few years ago…just before christmas, I’m jolted awake by the biggest “CRASSHHHHH” i’ve ever heard!
We all fly out of bed and run to the living room, only to find a fallen Christmas tree, treasured ornaments laying scattered across the floor and a cat sulking away suspiciously….
Ever since then, our Christmas tree is tethered down.

20 Little Bookworm July 26, 2010

I hope you feel better now, your fright in the night sounds scary!

21 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine July 26, 2010

Ugh, that is so horrible!! We live in a big old house that’s pretty isolated, and my brother used to taunt me by saying that if I was ever home alone we’d have no neighbors to hear me scream. It’s stuck with me for years, and whenever I’m home alone I never sleep!! We’ve never had intruders though- I guess that’s the benefit of living in such a secluded area (knock on wood)! Hope you get a good rest tonight!

22 Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 26, 2010

I love what you call that! We called it Ding Dong Door Ditching growing up :) Isn’t it funny how regions have different silly names?

As for me, I read a murder mystery before going to bed in a hotel in Denver w/o my husband. Not smart, Shanna, not smart!

23 Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 26, 2010

Oh goodness, that would freak me out!!! I was scared awake by a loud crash once when the husband was gone- found out later a shelf fell in the laundry room. But in the middle of the night your imagination goes wild!

24 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete July 26, 2010

Sorry this is kind of long, but yes I have been woken up in the middle of night terrified!

My husband had a roommate before we got married, and after we got married (and I was all moved in) the roommate started renting a house a few doors down from us.

MONTHS later, in the middle of the night (2am? 3am?) we heard our garage open. (our bedroom is right above the garage in our townhome) We both shot out of bed and I was so scared. How did someone open the garage door? It didn’t make any sense? J locked me in the bedroom and he took a bat (!) and checked the whole house. Lets just say I didn’t get any sleep that night.

Then, the next day when I got home from work the garage door was open! (I get home first) I sat in my car until J got home and I left it running in case I had to leave! I thought about calling the police, but didn’t. J got home, checked the house and all was ok. Finally a few days later the garage door opened in the middle of the afternoon and we looked out the window and saw his old roommate drive by — his garage door clicker must have been still programmed to OUR garage. We finally got it figured out and it never happened after that.

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

yikes!!! lol

26 jassy July 26, 2010

i did experience that and i am always this scared of the dark girl but when it happened–adrenaline rushed and i was no longer afraid…normal fight or flight reaction :)

27 Kendel @ Eating Abroad July 26, 2010

I get scared when my cats perk up like that too! I’m glad I’m not the only one who develops personal fears based on their pets’ absurd behavior!

28 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 26, 2010

So scary! I used to live on the bottom floor apartment in my complex, right by a big metal gate. All night long I’d hear the gate slam and knew someone would be just outside my window. That’s why when we moved, we opted for the top floor!
Glad it turned out okay!

29 Jocelyn July 26, 2010

omg..so sorry to hear that! Did you report it!? I guess there is not much they could do about it though..maybe just alert that kids are being pains in the night ?

We once had a peeping tom..I woke up to my mom standing in the living room screaming and the dude was still looking at us in the window..my dad chased him for a few blocks and then the police came! So scary!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

Yup we called the non emergency police number and the cop came to check

31 Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 26, 2010

People need to find better entertainment! I went walking with my dog last night and a few mailboxes including my grandparents’ had silly string all over them. Luckily, my grandpa didn’t know what it was, otherwise he’d be pretty ticked off, haha!

I used to work at a summer camp so getting woken up in the middle of the night is not foreign to me! lol One girl in my cabin would wake up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder. Or other counselors and staff right outside my room when I was on senior staff. They’d hang out there making all kinds of (drunken) noise (I won’t. even. go there!), especially on the last night of camp every week… I have a love/hate relationship with the place! There’s a tradition that when the bell rings in the morning, if a cabin or person is missing (ie, still sleeping), the entire camp (usually 60-65 people) sneaks around the cabin and then on the count of three starts pounding on the walls and yelling at the top of their lungs. Great wake-up call. I’ve experienced it once and it’s enough to give you a heart attack!

The dog woke me up this morning in what must have been the middle of a sleep cycle. Awakening Tea to the rescue! Hope your GM and green tea are doing the trick!

32 Karen @ Not Just Celery July 26, 2010

Angela that is so scary! Especially the part about the footprints! I am glad everything turned out OK, minus a bad night’s sleep.

I had a scary incident a few weeks ago where someone rang my apt. buzzer like 3 times in the middle of the night.

33 Heather (Heather's Dish) July 26, 2010

oh man, ever since we were broken into a couple years ago it’s been so hard for me to fall asleep sometimes! i would be 100% freaked out if that were me…people have no idea what that kind of stuff does to people!

34 Jessica July 26, 2010

That is insane! Last night around 1 am my roommate was showing her family the pool and backyard and got locked out because our backdoor is crazy. So she starts banging on my window! I was terrified until I heard her voice and immediately realized what must have happened.

I’m glad you guys are okay!

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

omg I would have had a heart attack!

36 tanyasDailyProductReviews July 26, 2010

your breakfast looks great, I like your energy bites!

37 Annie@stronghealthyfit July 26, 2010

I hate when stuff like that happens! Especially because you are just so out of it when you are woken up suddenly like that! I remember two times that happened to me- one was a bat flying around in our house, and the other time I had a creepy bug ON MY FACE! No fun. Hope you get some rest tonight :-)

38 Danielle (Runs on Green) July 26, 2010

Ahh that sounds scary! It’s sooo ironic this happened to me a couple nights ago. In the middle of the night, a police was banging loudly on our door yelling “It’s the police- open up now!” And everyone in my house shot up and we were all freaking out….

turns out he was informing us that our garage door was open. It was one of those “uhh thanks, but I hate you” moments.

And the GM glass is adorable!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

wow random!

40 Chelsey July 26, 2010

How scary! Nothiing a green monster can’t take care of! :)

One night when I was in college and lived in an apartment, I woke up to someone pounding on my bedroom window and peering in. Now what’s kind of weird about this is my window was about 1/2 story off the ground! There were garden level apartments, a second floor, and a third floor – we were on the 2nd floor. I was super scared, but it turned out to be a couple of my friends. They were drunk and they thought it would be a good idea for one of them to get on the other’s shoulder’s and scare the bejeezus out of me!!! Now I look back on it and laugh, but at the time I was so mad!!!

41 Tina July 26, 2010

That is so scary. I don’t think I would have been able to go back to sleep. I guess it is part of being a kid, but I don’t get how someone can do that without thinking how the people inside will react.

42 Sara July 26, 2010

I was woken up by someone trying to BREAK INTO MY WINDOW at 2:30am once. Good thing I woke up while he was still trying to pry off the screen, which he never successfully even got off since our screens were screwed into the siding. I definitely went into work late the next day because after calling the cops & dealing with all that, we didn’t get back to bed until 4:30ish.

43 Wei Wei July 26, 2010

Ugh. That’s not only annoying, but I think it could actually count as an incident of harassment. Report it, or ask your neighbours! How rude.

Wei Wei

44 Sasha July 26, 2010

OMG! That is such a scare! Do kids really do that?? That’s insane; what if there were old people inside and died of a heart attack?
I hope you will report it or at least be able to find out who it was. Did you check the footprints in the morning to see what size they were (kids or adults)?

I once woke up in the middle of the night to a noise (in a house full of people). I reached a window near our stairs and froze because 2 men were rushing downstairs and we kind of came face-to-face through the window. I fell back behind a wall; I don’t know how long I remained immovable, but after what seemed like ages I grabbed 2 large kitchen knives and opened the front door and walked out all by myself to deal with them! Don’t know what I was thinking but fortunately the thieves had decamped! And yes, the rest of the family were fast asleep all through this!

Hope your day gets better!

45 lynn July 26, 2010

every other night or so this past month we have had a very determined raccoon visiting our garbage can which sits right outside our bedroom window… we put a bungy cord on the handles so it’s can’t open it too easily at least… but it scared the heck out of me when i first hear it falling to the ground… then i go out there and bring it into the garage! last night finally remembered to put it in the garage before i went to bed!!\
gets the heart beating that is for sure and hard to get back to sleep when the adreniline is puping!
hope your day goes well despite the interrupted sleep.

46 Natalie July 26, 2010

I’m so sorry you and Eric had to experience this, Angela! My biggest fears (and worst nightmares) consist of someone trying to break into the house. Although my dad is incredibly tough, my parents are separated and so I live in a house with my sister and my mom. I don’t know what would happen if we were in that same position!

It’s unbelievable how immature people can be. This past year I was a freshman at university living in rez, and in our last month of school the fire alarm was pulled 4 times. It’s very annoying because not only was it exam month and everyone wanted their sleep, but the ENTIRE residence had to be evacuated (that’s almost 400 of us!) and wait for almost an hour across the street.
The worst was when the alarm was pulled on the night of almost everyone’s last exam.
You’d think people would find a better way to entertain themselves without disturbing everyone else!

I’m just relieved that it was only a prank and nothing more dangerous than that. I hope the rest of your day will be better and that you’ll manage to have a good sleep tonight!

47 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini July 26, 2010

One night we were woken with a tremendous bang from under the bed.

It was heartstopping.

Turned out that one of the cats had chewed through the wire of the clock radio under the bed, electrocuted himself, jumped into the air, hit his head on the underneath of the bed and that is what had woken us.

AFter a vet check up he was just fine. Although it took me a day or two to recover!!!

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

OMG!!!!!!!!

49 Laura July 26, 2010

I was looking at your adorable engagement pictures just now.

Not only do you have more glow in your face, but I noticed that your hair is more alive now. Don’t get me wrong. You have always been lovelier than the law should allow. But your hair has definitely benefitted from Green Monsters!!!

I’ve now had two in a row! Green Monster is my newest habit!

50 Colleen July 26, 2010

yes, as a matter of fact, I have. It was a cop though. There was a car parked on the conservation land near our house for a few hours and the neighbors called because they were worried the person might have been injured on one of the trails. Well, the car was registered to the previous owner of our house (creepy sounding, I know) so they came knocking on our door. It turns out, he was in fact on a run but had locked his keys in his car. He is still friends w/ one of our neighbors so he was hanging out at his house for the night. My heart was pounding out of my chest when I heard the door bell too, except I was not brave. I made my husband look out the window. I went down stairs w/ him when we realized it was a cop but I was still nervous until he told us why he was there. I had a hard time falling back to sleep that night too.

51 Cynthia (It All Changes) July 26, 2010

Oh my that is horrible. I would be scared stiff. Hunni and I had a pizza guy climb our fire escape and knock on our porch door (we live above our church) at 12.30pm. We were still awake but I couldn’t sleep that night.

52 Anna July 26, 2010

When my husband and I had been living in a new apartment for about 3 months, I woke up in the middle of the night to our 2 (big) dogs barking, snarling, and pretty much just attacking our bedroom window (we were on the first floor). I slept facing the window, so as soon as my eyes popped open I saw the shadow of a person in a hood with his (or her, we later learned) hand raised toward our window. When I screamed, they took off. Thank goodness for my husband calming me down … if I was living there by myself, I would have moved the next day!

53 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 26, 2010

Scary! The only time I’ve woken like that was a couple years ago. I woke to screams of HELP in our apartment and our neighbor banging on our door. Someone had broken into her place, beat her and her husband with a hammer, and took off. She was banging at our door bloody and crying. It was so scary.

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

oh my gosh that is horrible!!!

55 Danielle July 26, 2010

Last year my boyfriend and I were awoken around 4 a.m. by pounding on our door and the door bell going off. It scared me SO badly! I thought it was a murderer! Looking back that wouldn’t have made much sense.

Turned out to be the cops because one of us was parked next to a car fire in the parking lot in our apartment complex. :(

UGH! Knocks still freak me out!

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

‘Looking back that wouldn’t have made much sense.’ LOL!!!

57 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 26, 2010

The college I went to was great—the town umm not so much. We constantly received emails from our administration warning us of various shootings, burglaries and suspicious people roaming about. One night at around 2AM there was a LOUD pounding on our apartment door. Mind you, our apartment was 392043 years old and probably could have been knocked over by a toothpick.

My roommates and I were terrrrrified. The person knocked a few more times and even tried to open the door!! I walked out of my room to see my roommates had hidden in the kitchen, one with a fork in hand and another with a butter knife. I couldn’t help but laugh. We reported it to the police and the person went away for good—thank GOD!

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

Wow that would have been really scary!

59 Bridget July 26, 2010

Gurrr! I hate being woken up in the night. What a pain in the booty! I remember a few months back I heard these scratching/rattling noises on the roof at like 2am. I think it was a squirrel or something, but it was so creepy and irritating :S

60 Liza (Health Nutting) July 26, 2010

That is so scary! I would a freaked out! I’m sorry that happened to you!
A few years ago, I woke up because there was a bat in my room… I didn’t like that at all haha.

61 Callie July 26, 2010

Sounds scary! But that breakfast seems to be perfect after a nightmare.
Actually, I had a freaky nightmare last night. Probably due to a late night yesterday and a tv program that involved aliens. I woke up so sweaty and shaken.

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

Alien dreams are never good lol

63 Elliott July 26, 2010

Ugh…stupid kids. (I never thought I’d be the old fogey who said that but it’s SO true in this case!)

We live in a condo and have been woken up three or four times by drunk folks trying to find the party in the condo across the hall. (We have really, really great soundproofing so we never even hear the parties!) The first time it happened at 3am, hey, it’s cool, everyone makes a mistake. When it happened several weekends in a row, it really ticked me off. Luckily they moved out so we didn’t have to bring it up before the condo board.

64 Mimi July 26, 2010

That truly is a scary situation. Between that and your side-of-the-road creeper incident, you seem to have a few crazy experiences!

I’m glad that you got to wake up to a refreshing breakfast… that green monster glass is so cute! I want one!

65 rachel July 26, 2010

that must have been so scary! why kids have to have fun that way is beyond me.and i know what you mean about listening to all the house noises. at night if i hear something that doesn’t sound right, i stay completely still and listen to EVERY noise for about an hour or so until i can fall asleep. and of course it always turns out to be nothing ;)
that green monster glass is awesome!

66 Holly @ Self-love and Running July 26, 2010

how scary! I probably wouldn’t have thought to put shorts on and would have been running about the house, peering out windows in my undies!

67 Liz July 26, 2010

OMG! Have you seen the movie The Strangers (with Liv Tyler) ??? It is a horror flick that you should definitely pick up if you enjoy scary movies – your night last night sounds just like the beginning of the movie. I got scared just reading your post!

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

I think I’ll skip that one!!!

69 Lisa July 26, 2010

Scary! That’s happened to me before and it freaked me out too.

70 Lessons in Life and Light July 26, 2010

YES! Oh, that’s the worst! One night, I woke up to the sound of the jingle bell on the front door. Of course, I figured the only way for it to jingle would be if someone opened the door. I woke up my husband in a panic and told him I heard the bell. I. was. terrified. He got out of bed and grabbed a plastic basketball pump from under the bed so he could hit the intruder with it.

Turns out, the wind was just blowing really hard on the door, lol.

The next day he told me he could tell how scared I was because I was literally panting out of fear, lol. I guess if our house DOES ever get broken into, I’d better learn to breathe a little quieter!

71 Lessons in Life and Light July 26, 2010

It might be helpful if I left the correct link to my blog ;o)

72 Jen @ Canoe of Life July 26, 2010

I had a very similar situation a couple years ago with someone pounding on the door and ringing the door bell at 4am. I immediately shot out of bed and through on appropriate clothes to answer the door- my husband thought I was crazy, but I did it anyways. Turns out it was the police knocking on my door to tell me that my parked car had been totaled by a hit and run drunk driver! That was not good news, but at 4am it felt more tramatic. Needless to say I didn’t go back to sleep after that because I spent the next two hours dealing with police and getting the car towed.

Glad everything worked out!

73 Jeanne July 26, 2010

I’m sorry for your fright last night! I’ve had fire alarms in my city apartment building at 3am, so I know what your heart felt like! I hope whoever it was got it out of their system!!
I wanted to tell you, I found garlic scapes this week at my farmers market in Massachusetts. I used them as a garnish on top of Watermelon Gazpacho this morning. Yumm!! I haven’t been able to find them until now, and will definitely be trying your Garlic Scape Pesto!

74 Alyssa @ Bride To Be Fit July 26, 2010

So scary!!! I had something like that happen, a man kept prank calling me over and over one night at around 3 AM, and he kept saying he was outside the house. Scariest night of my life. It was when I still lived at home, so my mom and I called the cops and they came immedietly (and of course, found nothing), but regardless, there was NO sleep for anyone in my household that night. Glad you are feeling better this morning!

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

Gosh that is horrible :(

76 Lauren July 26, 2010

Nothing like that has ever happened to me, but I’m sure it would have scared my pants off. Kids these days!

77 Emily @ For Sweets Sake July 26, 2010

oh my goodness! I had something similar happen to me and my fiance leaves a lot since he’s in the military so when he’s gone I always over analyze every noise the house makes thinking it’s something out to get me! haha it seems silly later, but at night, it’s so scary!!! I’m glad it was nothing serious though!

78 Crystal July 26, 2010

I have a story to tell!

Back at home, we have a lot of wildlife around the neighbourhood. Our town’s motto is even “lumberjacks and bear tracks” to give you an idea.

So one night my mom had trouble sleeping so she decided to sit in the living room at around 2-3am. She was sitting in her chair by the window petting the cat when she heard some really loud banging. It sounded like someone was smashing something against the house.

She opened the front door and saw there was a bear about two meters away from her with the neighbours garbage can. He looked at my mom and then took the garbage can and banged it against our house again, to try to get it open. Mom closed the door and went to bed. She could sleep soundly after she knew what was going on. Most people from other towns would have probably freaked out!

79 Amber K July 26, 2010

Ugh, that’s awful! Glad you’re ok, but I would be so annoyed with that kind of non-sleep.

80 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 26, 2010

That is so scary! It has happened to us before too, and I got terrified.

81 Michal July 26, 2010

I’m glad it was just some kids and not something more dangerous. Sucks that you lost a night of sleep, though.

82 Lyndsey July 26, 2010

OMG, we are the same person haha. I am a total ‘count the hours till it’s daylight again’ kind of girl when I’m scared. Five am hits and I can see the sunrise, I’m out cold again. Luckily you didn’t have TOO many hours before you got back to sleep! I hope those stupid pranksters get caught!

83 Allison July 26, 2010

That is so scary..It’s horrible to get woken up like that. You poor thing. Did you ask any of your neighbors if it happened to them too? Kids should not be out at 3:30am, that’s crazy!! Loosing sleep messes up your whole day..

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

will be asking them today

85 Camille July 26, 2010

Oh my goodness, what a terrible thing to do! Why would someone do that!?

86 dpg July 26, 2010

Sorry that happened. But comforting to know that you can get up and ready FAST in the event that it really is necessary to escape!

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

yes I am a ninja ;)

88 Alexa@Running the Road to Recovery July 26, 2010

Geez, I didn’t know that kids still did that! Little punks.

89 Melissa @ Beet It Leukemia July 26, 2010

Yikes! That is so scary!

I had a really bad fright when I was living alone in my old apartment. My apartment was across from the building’s staircase and one night at 2am I heard someone trying to open my door and turning the handle over and over again. I was terrified and I called 911 and somehow got up the courage to look through the peephole. It was a man who appeared to be quite intoxicated and I could hear him mumbling about the stairs being locked. I guess he thought my apartment door was the entrance to the stairs. He walked away down the hall and thankfully never came back. Thank goodness my door was locked!

I hate anything scary and I can’t even watch the previews for horror movies. I am the biggest scaredy-cat ever! :P

90 erica July 26, 2010

oh my gosh! how scary!!! (and annoying to find out it’s a prank!)
i think i would be so scared (i’m so paranoid) that i would’ve called the cops! haha.

91 Jodie July 26, 2010

That is scary. I know how you feel though, it happened to me but they were actually trying to break in. Thank goodness for alarms, it scared them off. I hope it does not happen again to you guys.

92 Kate July 26, 2010

Yes! When I was at the beach with my friend and our families, I woke up one night thinking I was in an Alaskan cabin in the middle of a blizzard. I also had to pee really bad in real life, but couldn’t seem to find the door (hence the Alaskan cabin). I ended up crawling over my friend, waking her up, telling her I was freaking out cause I couldn’t find the door, and that I had to pee really bad. We laughed about that for many years after.

93 Kristin July 26, 2010

After college I lived in alone in the farmhouse that my great-grands had built down in the Missouri riverbottems. The area is a bit scary because the surrounding bluffs tend to hide a lot of illegal behavior, so I was always a bit nervous living down there. My parents had an alarm system installed before I moved in – and that system came with a pager that would go off if any part of it was tripped.

The pager went off at 2 AM about six months after I moved in.

Turns out…the battery was going dead.

Weeks before I slept again!

94 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' July 26, 2010

How frustrating! I easily get freaked out by stuff like that, too, so I could see myself throwing on a pair of shorts as well! Better to be prepared, right? Glad it was just a couple of kids, though…

What a CUTE green monster glass! Drinking one of those makes everything better!

95 Kiersten July 26, 2010

When I lived in my old apartment I woke up one night because the fire alarm was going off. It was the loudest, scariest noise I ever heard in my life. It happened around 3:30 am, then again at 5:30, the again at 6:00. That was my first time learning that the fire alarm was always broken there. That noise scared the hell out of me every time it went off.

96 kelli July 26, 2010

Instead of trying the maca, I realized the green superfood powder had it in it. So actually now that I am obsessed with the deliciousness that makes in green smoothies I am definitely getting my maca in. Now I dont need the “icky” taste of maca alone. I even make green “ice cream” with hat and spinach and gums and almond milk…yum!

97 laura July 26, 2010

Well, last night I was alone at our new weekend house (we rent an apartment in Brooklyn but bought a cabin in the woods for him). I end up at this place alone more than he does, strangely. But I’m not used to the woodsy noises yet. Anyway, just as I was nodding off, there was a large sound right near my bedroom window, something like a cross between a dog and a crazy man. It was like a whooping or howl or something. I think it was a coyote, as they say there are lots of them around, but I can’t be sure. No, I didn’t sleep. The sheep-raising neighbors up the hill said I should have looked at it with a flashlight, and that would have made me feel better, but I don’t think I really wanted to see it!!!!

98 Carla July 26, 2010

Somewhere between a dog and a crazy man? That narrows things down a bit. :o) As much as I dream of owning my own land and building a small cabin, I still check under the bed and my closets before going to bed. And the really awful part is that my bed is a platform bed that no one could possibly fit under, but in my mind I reason that if something like a vapor monster can fit there, then it’s worth checking before turning off the lights. (I’m almost 40, by the way. I’m going to be checking for monsters even when I’m in my 80s.)

99 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 26, 2010

A few weeks ago I was in the kitchen baking around 9ish or so when I heard a few loud bangs on my front door. Not like a pounding but as if somebody had hit the door with their body. I was so scared I couldn’t move. I was shaking and wasn’t sure what to do so I just turned on all my lights and grabbed my tazer (yep) and verrrry slowly checked threw the peep hole. Once I told my boyfriend he wanted me to get on webcam so he could keep an eye on me to make sure no kidnappings would happen or anything. :P

100 Sarah July 26, 2010

EEK! That would have terrified me :( Thank goodness you have Eric!

I’ve never had someone try to break into my house or apartment but one time when I went camping with my family I heard this loud shrieking noise and I jolt awake screaming oh my god daddy! And it turns out it was just a screech owl but my dad has never let me live it down! Every time I go camping he warns me to be prepare for the “scary” owls.

101 Carla July 26, 2010

In the middle of the night, my physics professor called. He was a creepy man with a history of violence with his wife. He didn’t identify himself, but his Greek accent was obvious, and he was trying to get me to come over. It made me sick that he somehow had access to my unlisted phone number, which meant he knew where I lived in my small town.

102 Laura July 26, 2010

I’m afraid of vapor monsters too! And we won’t talk about my age…

103 Kaitlin With Honey July 26, 2010

I am such a baby with things like that… that would have scared me so much! I never, ever would have been able to fall back to sleep!

104 Elizabeth July 26, 2010

OMG Angela! I’m SO glad you guys are OK.
This kind of prank occurred in Upstate NY. Man, his wife and two very young children were home when someone rang their doorbell and pounded on the back door simultaneously late at night. Scared the heck out of them guy ran out, gave chase, tackled the person just beyond his property line and found out it was a 14 yo teen.
Now get this- the homeowner got charged and the teen got off scot-free.

105 Jill July 26, 2010

Sorry you had an interrupted sleep! Glad the GM helped though :)
I am regularly awoken at night. We live in an apartment building right downtown, so its either:
1. bar fights or couples screaming at each other on the street
2. couples arguing in another apartment
3. parties in the hallway (hasn’t happened in a while, thankfully)
4. police pounding on another apartment’s door (usually to do with said parties)

We live in a kind of run down building (although our apt is nice, and we are good tenants), sometimes the riffraff is allowed in… I usually sleep through police and ambulance sirens driving by, but loud storms and random things falling over tend to wake me up.

106 Christine (The Raw Project) July 26, 2010

Scary and annoying, sorry you went through that! That would ruin my sleep for the rest of the night. Great eats, the green monster looks a lot like mine this morning. :-)

107 Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 26, 2010

Ugh scary indeed >:(
And NOT a nice way to be roused from slumber :(

108 Liz July 26, 2010

I once was downstairs in my houses basement watching TV and I thought I could hear something ont he deck (I was home alone) but I convinced myself I was crazy. But then I came upstairs and you could tell there was someone on the deck and then they tried to get in the house!! Luckily it was locked.

Then I snuck and looked out the window..turns out it was someone who I knew from high school, who I’m sure had been over to the house before, who I later found out was out of his mind on drugs, but it was buck naked except for big rubber boots.

Soooo, it was scary at the time, and I called 911, but in the end it was a funny story.

I would guess it was kids being funny, or someone drunk who thought they were at the right house, or wanted to pee and thought it would be a great idea to just ask you if they could come in and use your washroom. Everything is a great idea when you’ve been drinking. :)

I wouldn’t worry about it.

109 Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 26, 2010

Stupid Kids. That really sucks that that happened to you. I am glad to hear it was just kids being dumb and playing a prank, and that all is well. I hope that tonight you get a better sleep and are well rested.

110 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 26, 2010

One time I woke up cause someone called me and I had no idea who the number was, but it was the area code that I live in. The weird thing was that *my* cellphone has a Florida number, but the person calling me had a Georgia number (in my exact town where I’m staying). Creepy as heck! :(

I’m sorry you didn’t have a good night but it’s great that the breakfast made it better!

111 Meg July 26, 2010

Oh my gosh, how awful! I would have run out after them and given them a piece of my mind! Love blueberries in my green monster. You’ve totally got me hooked to them!

112 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 26, 2010

That’s crazy. I don’t think even if it’s kids that it’s funny. How scary. Glad it was a jock and your okay.

113 Faith @ LovelyAsCharged July 26, 2010

That would have majorly freaked the crap out of me! I’m easy to spook.

My best guy friend knows how big of a sissy I am, so at around 3 in the morning one night he decides to come over to my dorm, take the screen off my window, raise the glass, and poke his head in (my bed was directly under the window at the time). I’d JUST started to drift off to sleep, and he put his face right up against mine and started whispering my name. Needless to say I jumped up and popped him one, but he thought it was absolutely hysterical! After my heart stopped hammering, I started to agree…but still, it was terrifying!

114 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 26, 2010

What a scary way to wake up! One time when our newspaper was being delivered around 3 am, the newspaper hit our sliding screen door causing it to snap open with a bang and it woke me up. My heart was pounding for the longest time too!

At least you had your GM to make your morning a bit easier! That glass is so adorable!

115 Kristin July 26, 2010

I’m not sure if anyone has suggested this, but an idea is, if you have a second remote control to your car, keep the spare one on your nightstand depending where your bedroom is to the distance where you park your car. If you hear someone outside, hit the panick button. It can only be turned off it the battery either dies or the panick button it hit again. That might deter someone.

116 Allison @ Food For Healing July 26, 2010

that sucks! I would have been bawling my eyes out haha. I’ve had that happen before, someone came and banged on my bedroom window and i was home alone, and i lived in a bad neighbourhood, so even scarier!

117 Rocaille July 26, 2010

Last night we didn’t as much wake up in the middle of the night because of the noise, but we would have had some trouble FALLING asleep! Some a**hole stopped in his sports car by the entrance of the apartment building next to ours and didn’t cut the engine off. He was like standing there for 30 mins (in a no-parking zone) with his super loud engine buzzing, until my husband put on his jacket, went there and asked him politely to cut the engine. The guy was like ‘so you’re sayin’ I can’t drive my car?’. Jeezzz. Luckily he was on his way shortly.

Your blueberry chocolate cake is already in my recipe book! xxx

118 Beth @ 990 Square July 26, 2010

My worst recent fright in the night happened when we had some friends staying over. They got hot in the night, so they decided to open a window, which set off our alarm. My husband creeped out of the bedroom, but didn’t see anything so then he went back to bed. About 20 minutes later we heard a very loud creak on our stairs…we were both terrified! So my husband left the room with the baseball bat, ready to get the intruder. Turns out our friend had just decided to sleep on the couch downstairs…good thing my husband didn’t get her with the bat!

119 Jennifer July 26, 2010

I’ve been woken by smoke alarms on multiple occasions. At my first college dorm, some pranksters thought it was funny to set off the sprinklers in the basement, thus setting off the smoke alarms in the 15 story building. This resulted in having to go outside onto the NY streets in my pajamas on multiple occasions. The scariest time though was when I DIDN’T wake up. Fortunately one of my suite mates stuck around long enough to bang on the door (the individual bedrooms automatically locked) until I woke up, which took several minutes. Good thing it wasn’t a real emergency. This happened again in a house I lived in a couple years later at a different school, which was even more terrifying but turned out to be nothing. I guess I’ve been lucky.

120 Jackie July 26, 2010

There’s nothing worse than being woken up like that. Back in my younger days when I was living with a roomate, I had a rather startling experience. I alway used to sleep with my TV on,so one night I woke up and went to turn the volume down on the tv. When I looked up there was a rather large guy standing at the end of my bed. I of course freaked. I realized after he spoke that it was a friend of ours. He had crawled up on the 2 floor balcony and climbed in the window (of course alcohol was involved). I/we were not amused, and I don’t think he came to visit after that.

121 Lindsay July 26, 2010

Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry that happened to you… I would have been terrified! The scariest thing that ever happened to me was when I was a senior in college. I live in Cincinnati, OH in the midwest (I promise this is important to the story). In the middle of the night, I woke up because EVERYTHING in my room was shaking. My bed. My dresser. The fireplace. I had no idea what was going on, so in my half awake state I decided that the only thing that could be happening was that the world was ending. I started praying for what seemed like forever and eventually the shaking stopped and I fell asleep. I couldn’t stop thinking about what happened even though I was asleep (if that makes sense? maybe I never fell asleep) and started to wonder if it was an earthquake. However, an earthquake in Cincinnati is an absurd idea… but in the morning I googled it. Sure enough, it was an earthquake that had woken me up!

The best part of the story my roommates slept through the entire thing!!

122 meg July 26, 2010

oh, goodness. last semester i had a contraband cat in my on-campus apartment (whatever, we needed a cat in our show…so i got a cat) and a week before i moved out at the end of the semester, there was a 6am still-dark-out FIRE ALARM. now, when i was 5, there was a fire in my house, so needless to say i am way oversensitive to fire and fire alarms…plus it happening while i’m asleep…so i threw on pants and grabbed my kitty-purse and put the cat (who was frozen with fear) in it and ran out to my car, sure i would get caught. i didn’t. but while i was gone that day apparently there were two MORE fire alarms..poor kitty :[

123 Amy July 26, 2010

That would startle me silly! I’m glad it was just teenage boys playing a prank and nothing too serious. Sorry you lost sleep though.

Several years ago my boyfriend and I lived in an apartment building with one main door for an entrance (it didn’t lock, so essentially anybody could open it). Once through the main door, there was a flight of stairs. Our apartment was at the top of the stairs. Each apartment had it’s own door with a regular lock and also a chain lock. My boyfriend teased me repeatedly about always making sure both were locked.

One night, in the wee hours, we heard a lot of commotion in the hallway. Loud banging, bumping, and doorknobs being jangled. It was happening at the apartment next to ours. Well, of course that woke us, and we listened for what would happen next… Our doorknob started rattling and somebody was trying to push themselves against our door to bust it open. The man on the other side was mumbling, yelling, and persistent with his attempts. I was freaking out! We had a “burglar bat” in our closet which was actually an old table leg so we got that out and stood by the door. And wouldn’t you know, he eventually left. We went to the window and saw a guy barely able to walk a straight line wander down the front steps and down the sidewalk. It was creepy. He was obviously drunk and clueless. I am SO glad I have an obsession with locking doors!

124 Tamara Lea July 26, 2010

I woke up once and there were a bunch of painters (who didn’t speak English) in my house. I could not figure out what was going on (I was half asleep), so I just started yelling at them. After I calmed down I learned they intended to go to the place next door. Apparently our landlord keyed our apartment with the same key as the condo nextdoor, so it was just bad luck that they happened to have a key and they tried it on the one place where that key would work.

It all worked out ok, but it scared me half to death!!

125 mm July 26, 2010

I had probably my scariest night-time moment this past Saturday night actually. We went camping in the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska… and it’s bear season. We had a gun with us, and bear repellant spray, just in case. We went to bed in the tent around 10:30pm when it started pouring rain. About an hour later a random car pulled up and parked across the clearing from us. It was kind of weird because it was late Saturday night and raining – not ideal for beginning your camping trip. But we didn’t think too much about it, just went to sleep.
I woke up to the sound of 3 rapid gunshots in the middle of the night from very close by. My heart was pounding so hard!! It was still raining like crazy and the only reason we could come up with why someone would be shooting at that point was if there was an animal around – and we were thinking “bear”. I don’t know how long we laid in our tent listening to all the forest sounds before finally falling back to sleep – only to be woken up AGAIN a while later to 7 rapid gunshots!! Apparently the random guys that camped near us in the rain were just enjoying shooting at nothing in the middle of the night, and they packed up the next morning and left shortly before we did. Needless to say, I did NOT get a good night’s sleep.

126 Michele July 27, 2010

Once, at 2 in the morning, I woke up to loud banging noises. I looked out my window thinking someone was trying to break in, but it turned out that there was a house on fire right across the street and things were exploding!

127 Caz Wheeler July 27, 2010

I’m quite new to the blog but am trying to get back into healthy eating. Can I ask what is Maca? Is it a supplement you add to your Green Monster/Juices etc?

Thanks, xjcx

128 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010
129 Caroline July 27, 2010

Haha, I just moved into a new apartment this past weekend and our bedroom is lacking a ceiling light fixture. The floor lamp we’re currently using has a floor switch and one of the dogs rolled over onto it Sunday night, turning the light on. Scared the bejesus out of me! Especially being in a new place! Not nearly as scary as someone banging on doors though!

130 Stephanie July 27, 2010

I woke up to something similar when we had a different downstairs neighbor. Thankfully, they were pounding on that door, not ours, but it made me so mad. Now that they’ve moved, I only get the occasional “ALERT ALERT ALERT!” meowing from my cat…or the ninja stealth jumps he likes to do off of his “trampolines” (i.e. me and my husband lol). The cat is a maniac.

131 Melissa July 27, 2010

What a terrible thing to do to someone…geesh!!! I would have gone around and turned all the lights on in the house and opened every closet door lol!
I had a bad experience when I was 18. I was all by myself in my house when all of a sudden there was yelling and banging on my back door. It was summer and so I had my window open that faced the porch. So, I opened my eyes and saw this man sitting in a chair no more than 5 feet away from me. I got out of bed, put some clothes on (it was summer and HOT!) and called the police as the guy wouldn’t stop banging on my door.4 cops showed up and the guy took off. Apparently he was just hammered and was at the wrong house. It had me so shook up that I had to go to my aunts the rest of the night. Still creeps me out to this day. Wish I knew about maca back then because my nerves were fried!!!

132 Crystal July 27, 2010

That is soo weird – the same thing happened around here (NY) a week or so ago except the man who owned the house tackled the boy when he tried to run away.. It’s been on the news every other day since then.

The scariest thing I remember happening to me was a few years ago.. We lived in an apt in an old house, we had 3/4 of the house and the other part was divided into 2 smaller apartments.. I was sitting in the living room and heard our front door open.. Which completely freaked me out since it was like 10:30 at night and my boyfriend was upstairs sleeping.. I looked up and there was a guy in his twenties standing in our entry way… and looking very confused. I was just about to scream when I noticed the pizza box in his hand… he was trying to get to the apt upstairs and thought our door was the main entrance, not a different apartment. He apologized about ten times and ran out all flustered… I definitely starting locking the door 24/7 after that one! (and checked with our neighbor.. he was just a lost pizza man — not some creepster casing the apartment)

133 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA July 28, 2010

Nicky nicky nine doors? That’s hilarious! I am sorry, I’m sure it was really scary. But it’s called Ding Dong Ditch, and I have to admit that I’m guilty. =( Obviously not any time recently, but back in high school when I was young and stupid and definitely never thought about how much it would scare someone. And anyway, we didn’t stay up until 3. It was probably more like 10 or 11.