Fright In The Night

Bang, bang, bang, bang!!!

Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring!!!

Bang, bang, bang, bang!!!

This is what Eric and I had the pleasure of waking up to at 3:30 in the morning!

Two people decided that it would be a good idea to wake us up by pounding super loud on our front door (and a few windows) and ringing the doorbell 6 or 7 times.  I tell you I have ever in my life woken up in such a fright. The adrenaline was pumping through my veins and I was instantly awake, despite being in the middle of the night.

I did what any girl would do in my situation; I shot out of bed and put on a pair of jean shorts.

Eric said, ‘Where are you going?’

‘I don’t know, but should I need to leave I will need shorts on.’

It’s kind of one of those things that you look back on and laugh. At the time I was all business. I had a plan and my shorts were coming with me.

My heart was pounding in my chest. Just before the loud banging, I was having a scary dream, so my nerves were already on edge.

Eric and I walked to the front bedroom to peer out at the street.

We saw two sets of footprints going diagonally across the lawn, where the people had run across the lawn. The grass was still bent into the ground.

All kinds of thoughts were going through my mind. Who would do such a thing?!

‘Just some kids playing nicky nicky nine doors Ange. It’s summer…’

Sketchie too was anxious. You know when you can see anxiety and fear on an animal’s face? They kind of perk up their ears, get very still, and listen closely. When Sketchie does this it totally creeps me out, lol.

I didn’t sleep for a long time.

I looked at the clock and it said 4am. I said to myself, ‘Not even 2 hours until daylight, then I can get up and everything will be better.’

From 4-5am I listened to every creak in our old house (there are many more than I ever dreamed). Finally, I calmed down and sleep won the battle of the nerves. I had nightmares about someone breaking into the house. However, my Brother in Law Dave brought over a Great Dane and saved the day (hahaha!). I woke when the sun rose. I thought to myself, ‘I’m glad it is light out now.’ before drifting back to sleep until 7am.

Needless to say when we got up this morning we both felt like we were hit by a truck! I woke up with a headache and dark circles under my eyes.

A Green Monster was called for…I had planned for vegan overnight oats, but I just wasn’t feeling it. I needed greens and I needed Maca!

And tea. Copious amounts of tea!!!!

IMG 4438 thumb   Fright In The Night

I felt better already. Her Mix-A-Lot calms me. The blending is very hypnotic to watch.

IMG 4404 thumb   Fright In The Night IMG 4406 thumb   Fright In The Night

Look at this awesome Green Monster glass that Nancy made me!

IMG 4414 thumb   Fright In The Night

hehehe!!

IMG 4422 thumb   Fright In The Night

IMG 4430 thumb   Fright In The Night

In the green monster: 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass wheatgrass powder, ice, kale, blueberries, 1/2 frozen banana.

IMG 4437 thumb   Fright In The Night

and a Raw Energy Cookie Bite on the side!

IMG 4426 thumb   Fright In The Night

I felt a lot better after this breakfast.

Have you ever been woken up in the middle of the night with a fright?

Kerry July 26, 2010

That’s so annoying!! Just last night (actually about 12:45am today) I woke up to a loud crash coming from my living room. I was too scared to check it out in case it was a burglar, but then my mind went wandering and I thought “What if the TV broke?!” so I got up to investigate. It turns out my roommate’s cat had knocked over a large framed picture that is waiting to be hanged on the wall. I felt bad for the cat – I’m sure she was trying to play and accidentally knocked it over and it probably scared the daylights out of her. It took me a while to fall back asleep too. As if Monday mornings didn’t suck enough…

Jessica @ How Sweet July 26, 2010

That is my worst nightmare. My husband travels a lot and I am always afraid something like that will happen!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 26, 2010

My husband went around opening all the rooms and closet doors before bed last night because the front door was open and he wanted to make sure no one snuck in the house and was hiding in a closet.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 26, 2010

I was woken up last week by one of the cats knocking over a chair (rascal!) In my sleep it sounded much louder and more dangerous and I remember darting up out of bed, wide eyed but not really sure what I would do if it were anything otehr then a pet-related incident!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans July 26, 2010

Eeek! A couple weeks ago there was a huge windstorm here and a branch crashed down on my balcony. I woke up convinced someone was trying to break into my apartment!

Layla July 26, 2010

I’m sure it was some stupid kids trying to be funny, but seriously. Why would anyone find that to be funny?? That’s scary. :(

Kris July 26, 2010

How scary!!! There is nothing worse than being woken up in the night in a fright and then not being able to get back to sleep :( Cheers to a better night sleep tonight!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies July 26, 2010

How lame! I mean – okay so kids want to pull pranks…but you don’t do it at 330 in the morning! I can only imagine how freaked out you were – I know I would have been!! Glad it was just a prank though and nothing more.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 26, 2010

Oh my gosh, that would totally freak me out!!!! So sorry that happened to y’all :-(

Paige @ Running Around Normal July 26, 2010

Ugggh so annoying! Good thing you had Eric at home with you. I think I’d be fine if the husband would be there with me, but I would be scared sh!tless if that would happen to me and I was alone.
Hope you get more energy as the day goes on!

Daniel July 26, 2010

I’ve been woken up many times by our cats knocking something over upstairs. But frightened? One day … or night rather, my roommate and I were both asleep and at about 11 PM someone shot off some fireworks outside on the street. My roommate practically jumped out of bed like there was gunfire going off, it was hysterical!

I love the green monster glass, it’s so adorable!!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 26, 2010

I haven’t really been woken by something like that, but occasionally I’ll hear noises, then I keep myself awake trying to listen for more, and as a result I can’t get back to sleep. It is so annoying, and yes, it means I wake up feeling like I’ve been hit by a truck!! Glad it wasn’t anything serious though. I hope you have a good day! :)

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 26, 2010

Oh gosh, that sounds so scary!! I live in the middle of nowhere, so that’s never happened to me…though once when I was little, my sister’s friend’s dad came to pick her up, but he got the time wrong and I was the only one home. I didn’t recognize him so I locked myself in the bathroom for an hour, scared about who he was :P

Lizzie July 26, 2010

A few years ago, my husband was away for the weekend so I was home alone. At that point we were living in an apartment building, so there was one main door to get into (either with a key or being buzzed in) before you could access any of the other apartments. About 2.30am someone (in theory I think may have been drunk) started shoulder charging the door, gently at first, but then seriously trying to break in! I woke up towards the end of it and started panicking, but eventually the footsteps went away. The next morning I tried to go out the front door and the person had damaged the lock badly enough that I couldn’t open it from the inside! I had to climb over the deck railing (thankfully we were on the ground floor) and enter from the front.
Sorry you guys had such a scare! Do you have neighbours nearby you could ask about what happened?

Maya July 26, 2010

Oh my, I’m so sorry to hear about that. At least you weren’t alone, I can only imagine how much scarier that would be.

That glass is ADORABLE!

Ameena July 26, 2010

How scary! I wouldn’t have been able to sleep either…for days! Being mugged can do that to you.

I hope that you figure out what happened…I agree with a previous commenter that you should ask your neighbors if they experienced the same thing!

Helga July 26, 2010

About a year ago my husband and I were woken up by sounds of broken glass coming from the kitchen. I thought it was one of my kids. Turns out a racoon had broken into the house through a basement window and proceeded to trash the kitchen.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

those crazy raccoons!

Cassie July 26, 2010

I’m glad it wasn’t anything horribly serious, though!!
The only midnight fright that comes to my mind was one night a few years ago…just before christmas, I’m jolted awake by the biggest “CRASSHHHHH” i’ve ever heard!
We all fly out of bed and run to the living room, only to find a fallen Christmas tree, treasured ornaments laying scattered across the floor and a cat sulking away suspiciously….
Ever since then, our Christmas tree is tethered down.

Little Bookworm July 26, 2010

I hope you feel better now, your fright in the night sounds scary!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine July 26, 2010

Ugh, that is so horrible!! We live in a big old house that’s pretty isolated, and my brother used to taunt me by saying that if I was ever home alone we’d have no neighbors to hear me scream. It’s stuck with me for years, and whenever I’m home alone I never sleep!! We’ve never had intruders though- I guess that’s the benefit of living in such a secluded area (knock on wood)! Hope you get a good rest tonight!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 26, 2010

I love what you call that! We called it Ding Dong Door Ditching growing up :) Isn’t it funny how regions have different silly names?

As for me, I read a murder mystery before going to bed in a hotel in Denver w/o my husband. Not smart, Shanna, not smart!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 26, 2010

Oh goodness, that would freak me out!!! I was scared awake by a loud crash once when the husband was gone- found out later a shelf fell in the laundry room. But in the middle of the night your imagination goes wild!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete July 26, 2010

Sorry this is kind of long, but yes I have been woken up in the middle of night terrified!

My husband had a roommate before we got married, and after we got married (and I was all moved in) the roommate started renting a house a few doors down from us.

MONTHS later, in the middle of the night (2am? 3am?) we heard our garage open. (our bedroom is right above the garage in our townhome) We both shot out of bed and I was so scared. How did someone open the garage door? It didn’t make any sense? J locked me in the bedroom and he took a bat (!) and checked the whole house. Lets just say I didn’t get any sleep that night.

Then, the next day when I got home from work the garage door was open! (I get home first) I sat in my car until J got home and I left it running in case I had to leave! I thought about calling the police, but didn’t. J got home, checked the house and all was ok. Finally a few days later the garage door opened in the middle of the afternoon and we looked out the window and saw his old roommate drive by — his garage door clicker must have been still programmed to OUR garage. We finally got it figured out and it never happened after that.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

yikes!!! lol

jassy July 26, 2010

i did experience that and i am always this scared of the dark girl but when it happened–adrenaline rushed and i was no longer afraid…normal fight or flight reaction :)

Kendel @ Eating Abroad July 26, 2010

I get scared when my cats perk up like that too! I’m glad I’m not the only one who develops personal fears based on their pets’ absurd behavior!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 26, 2010

So scary! I used to live on the bottom floor apartment in my complex, right by a big metal gate. All night long I’d hear the gate slam and knew someone would be just outside my window. That’s why when we moved, we opted for the top floor!
Glad it turned out okay!

Jocelyn July 26, 2010

omg..so sorry to hear that! Did you report it!? I guess there is not much they could do about it though..maybe just alert that kids are being pains in the night ?

We once had a peeping tom..I woke up to my mom standing in the living room screaming and the dude was still looking at us in the window..my dad chased him for a few blocks and then the police came! So scary!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

Yup we called the non emergency police number and the cop came to check

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 26, 2010

People need to find better entertainment! I went walking with my dog last night and a few mailboxes including my grandparents’ had silly string all over them. Luckily, my grandpa didn’t know what it was, otherwise he’d be pretty ticked off, haha!

I used to work at a summer camp so getting woken up in the middle of the night is not foreign to me! lol One girl in my cabin would wake up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder. Or other counselors and staff right outside my room when I was on senior staff. They’d hang out there making all kinds of (drunken) noise (I won’t. even. go there!), especially on the last night of camp every week… I have a love/hate relationship with the place! There’s a tradition that when the bell rings in the morning, if a cabin or person is missing (ie, still sleeping), the entire camp (usually 60-65 people) sneaks around the cabin and then on the count of three starts pounding on the walls and yelling at the top of their lungs. Great wake-up call. I’ve experienced it once and it’s enough to give you a heart attack!

The dog woke me up this morning in what must have been the middle of a sleep cycle. Awakening Tea to the rescue! Hope your GM and green tea are doing the trick!

Karen @ Not Just Celery July 26, 2010

Angela that is so scary! Especially the part about the footprints! I am glad everything turned out OK, minus a bad night’s sleep.

I had a scary incident a few weeks ago where someone rang my apt. buzzer like 3 times in the middle of the night.

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 26, 2010

oh man, ever since we were broken into a couple years ago it’s been so hard for me to fall asleep sometimes! i would be 100% freaked out if that were me…people have no idea what that kind of stuff does to people!

Jessica July 26, 2010

That is insane! Last night around 1 am my roommate was showing her family the pool and backyard and got locked out because our backdoor is crazy. So she starts banging on my window! I was terrified until I heard her voice and immediately realized what must have happened.

I’m glad you guys are okay!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

omg I would have had a heart attack!

tanyasDailyProductReviews July 26, 2010

your breakfast looks great, I like your energy bites!

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 26, 2010

I hate when stuff like that happens! Especially because you are just so out of it when you are woken up suddenly like that! I remember two times that happened to me- one was a bat flying around in our house, and the other time I had a creepy bug ON MY FACE! No fun. Hope you get some rest tonight :-)

Danielle (Runs on Green) July 26, 2010

Ahh that sounds scary! It’s sooo ironic this happened to me a couple nights ago. In the middle of the night, a police was banging loudly on our door yelling “It’s the police- open up now!” And everyone in my house shot up and we were all freaking out….

turns out he was informing us that our garage door was open. It was one of those “uhh thanks, but I hate you” moments.

And the GM glass is adorable!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2010

wow random!

Chelsey July 26, 2010

How scary! Nothiing a green monster can’t take care of! :)

One night when I was in college and lived in an apartment, I woke up to someone pounding on my bedroom window and peering in. Now what’s kind of weird about this is my window was about 1/2 story off the ground! There were garden level apartments, a second floor, and a third floor – we were on the 2nd floor. I was super scared, but it turned out to be a couple of my friends. They were drunk and they thought it would be a good idea for one of them to get on the other’s shoulder’s and scare the bejeezus out of me!!! Now I look back on it and laugh, but at the time I was so mad!!!

Tina July 26, 2010

That is so scary. I don’t think I would have been able to go back to sleep. I guess it is part of being a kid, but I don’t get how someone can do that without thinking how the people inside will react.

Sara July 26, 2010

I was woken up by someone trying to BREAK INTO MY WINDOW at 2:30am once. Good thing I woke up while he was still trying to pry off the screen, which he never successfully even got off since our screens were screwed into the siding. I definitely went into work late the next day because after calling the cops & dealing with all that, we didn’t get back to bed until 4:30ish.

Wei Wei July 26, 2010

Ugh. That’s not only annoying, but I think it could actually count as an incident of harassment. Report it, or ask your neighbours! How rude.

Wei Wei

Sasha July 26, 2010

OMG! That is such a scare! Do kids really do that?? That’s insane; what if there were old people inside and died of a heart attack?
I hope you will report it or at least be able to find out who it was. Did you check the footprints in the morning to see what size they were (kids or adults)?

I once woke up in the middle of the night to a noise (in a house full of people). I reached a window near our stairs and froze because 2 men were rushing downstairs and we kind of came face-to-face through the window. I fell back behind a wall; I don’t know how long I remained immovable, but after what seemed like ages I grabbed 2 large kitchen knives and opened the front door and walked out all by myself to deal with them! Don’t know what I was thinking but fortunately the thieves had decamped! And yes, the rest of the family were fast asleep all through this!

Hope your day gets better!

lynn July 26, 2010

every other night or so this past month we have had a very determined raccoon visiting our garbage can which sits right outside our bedroom window… we put a bungy cord on the handles so it’s can’t open it too easily at least… but it scared the heck out of me when i first hear it falling to the ground… then i go out there and bring it into the garage! last night finally remembered to put it in the garage before i went to bed!!\
gets the heart beating that is for sure and hard to get back to sleep when the adreniline is puping!
hope your day goes well despite the interrupted sleep.

Page 1 of 3123»