The Day Of Fun

Good morning!

Today is my day off and I am very excited for the day ahead! It felt so good to be able to sleep in this morning. I slept ‘til 8am and felt nice and rested when I got up.

I never showed you all the veggies Eric brought home the other night…straight from his coworker’s, in law’s veggie garden…

IMG_3980

They are an Italian couple and you don’t say no to Italians with an over-flowing veggie garden. Eric said he told them he didn’t need anything and he left with 4 bags of produce!!!! lol. Apparently, the coworker’s father-in-law wants to help us build a veggie garden! We are thinking of building one in 2011.

IMG_3981

Eric came home with celery, zucchini, basil, tomatoes (best tomatoes ever!), 5 bunches of kale, and jalapenos.

IMG_3982

So. much. kale.

IMG_3987

So curly!

IMG_3990

The kale proposed and I said yes!

IMG_3996

Eric said I should have carried kale down the aisle at our wedding. I think he’s onto something here….veggie bouquets!

Not surprisingly, we decided to use up a ton of veggies for dinner last night! Our fridge is so full it is busting at the seams.

IMG_4268

Anything Goes Veggie Roast

Ingredients:

• 4 carrots
  • 1 yellow squash
  • 1 zucchini
  • 2 cups Okra
  • 1 cup Sugar Snap Peas
  • 4 potatoes
  • 3 Swiss Chard leaves
  • 3 Jalapenos (kept on the side as Eric doesn’t like them)
  • 3/4 tsp Kosher sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp Herbamare
  • 2 tbsp cold-pressed sunflower oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 425F. Wash and chop all veggies. Place chopped veggies on 2 greased baking sheets. Drizzle oil over top and massage into veggies to spread evenly. Sprinkle on sea salt, Herbamare, and freshly ground pepper. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and flip veggies and bake for another 35-40 minutes until golden brown and slightly crisp. Serve and sprinkle on additional sea salt if necessary. Dip in ketchup and enjoy!

IMG_4249

Massaging in the sunflower oil to coat the veggies:

IMG_4240

We had it with ketchup on the side for dipping and it was superb! We especially loved the Okra and potatoes. Just lovely.

IMG_4287

I was so pleasantly surprised by the Okra…it is so good. Almost similar to a zucchini in taste. When I compare a veggie to zucchini I mean that it is mild and the taste would blend into virtually anything. Okra would be amazing dipped in some sort of batter and baked to a crisp!

IMG_4288

IMG_4290

I proceeded to make a delicious dessert that I will be telling you about in my next post…

IMG_4346

Breakfast this morning was another smooth as silk Purslane Green Monster

IMG_4355

It included: 3 cups Purslane, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tsp maca, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, 1 large frozen banana, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder.

And a piece of Chocolate Blueberry cake. This is a healthy cake made with spelt flour, blueberries, ground chia seed, maple syrup, cocoa powder, etc….and delicious.

IMG_4371

Sometimes on your Sunday morning, you just need a little cake and Purslane.

The recipe for this cake will be in tonight’s post! Stay tuned.

Eric and I are off for a brick workout now. Other plans for my day off include reading EPL, cleaning, meeting girlfriend for tea, working on online print shop, chopping veggies for the week ahead, and some travel planning. Should be a good & busy one!

Enjoy your Sunday! See you tonight.

Page 2 of 2«12
Leah July 23, 2012

My bridesmaids had basil in their bouquets! It was a surprise (we used a local, organic flower farm and couldn’t really pick exactly which flowers which made it more fun and unique!) and I didn’t realize I was hungry on our special day until the bridesmaids walked past and I caught a whiff of the delicious basil- yum!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 26, 2010

I love the kale bouquet!! Eric is definitely on to something!!

Jennifer July 26, 2010

Angela! I laughed out loud when you said it would be good dipped in a batter and baked (not in a mean way!). We call fried okra “Southern popcorn” down here. I’ve baked it before just to get my “fix” but nothing beats the good ole deep fried stuff I grew up with. I make my batter with cornmeal + flour and S + P – the cornmeal gives it a crunch. Good luck!

Jenny July 25, 2010

Mmm I love me some fried okra! Yum!

Cynthia (It All Changes) July 25, 2010

Momma has a garden and I always leave with free veggies and fruit. I just wish she lived closer so I could get more :-)

That Kale bouquet just fits you. So very Green Monster :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 25, 2010

Wow, so much kale! I see some fabulous GMs in your future. ;)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 25, 2010

I swear a big plate of roast veggies is my ideal dinner! YUMMO!

Amy Lawson July 25, 2010

Hey Angela!!!
Love your blog. I’m sure you already know this, but blaching and freezing is a great (and super easy) way to save your kale for the winter. We get a boatload of it from our CSA, so I have directions on my blog: http://lawsonseatlocal.blogspot.com/2010/07/blanching-101.html
That giant bunch you’re holding would probably fit into a single ziplock! Then it’s great for soups and pasta sauce and whatnot.
~Amy

Kirsten July 25, 2010

So many veggies! I loved how you were posing with the kale bouquet – I think you are onto something there!

Paige @ Running Around Normal July 25, 2010

All those veggies! And that kale! LOL love the proposal pic.
Sounds like you’re going to have a great day off – enjoy :D

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 25, 2010

I’m so jealous of your vegetable bounty!

Rachel July 25, 2010

On my last birthday, a friend gave me a giant bouquet of kale wrapped in a ribbon. She knows me too well!

Amber K July 25, 2010

Fun Sunday morning! i still haven’t been able to find Purslane, but it sounds interesting!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' July 25, 2010

I’m so jealous of your vegetable score! I would LOVE to have my own veggie garden someday… when we’re not stuck in a yard-less apartment!

Can’t wait to hear more about the chocolate blueberry cake… I love having dessert for breakfast! :D

Lauren M. July 25, 2010

I saw that cake on fat free vegan kitchen!! I wanted to make it the moment I laid eyes on it!

Lexi C. July 25, 2010

Me too!! I was just thinking that and wondering if this was a wonderful (and delicious) adaptation :)

Tracy July 25, 2010

Wow, all those veggies! Everything looks so yummy! Love your photos! Take Care…

Ana July 25, 2010

I love roasted veggies!!
Today I made roasted okras for the first time and loved it! I have always liked okra, my mom made it frequently when I was growing up, and my 8-year old son loves it too. Since I didn’t want to be cooking it over the stove today I just popped in the oven, and some on the grill (I wanted to grill them all but most of the ones I got at the csa box were so tiny that it would not work in the grill). I really enjoyed the roasted okras!
And I have seen that cake on fat free vegan blog too! But seems like yours have a chocolate glaze, even yummier!!
Ana

Christine July 25, 2010

Can’t wait for that recipe – I made your cookies the other day and they’re AWESOME for pre-workout!

Tina July 25, 2010

Veggie bouqets. I can see a new trend starting in the blogosphere. ;)

I have been gobbling up the fresh tomatoes I am getting from my sis in law’s garden. Thank goodness she lives in our neighborhood since I am constantly going there to beg for more.

Alexa July 25, 2010

I have been wanting to get into Eat, Pray, Love for awhile now! and when I saw you pick it up on your blog it jumpstarted me into finally getting it! I can’t wait to start reading ;)
And I just found out it’s going to be a movie, I live under a rock at times. Are you excited for the film version?

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 25, 2010

I saw that cake on the fat free vegan. It looks even better on yours. :)