The Day Of Fun

Good morning!

Today is my day off and I am very excited for the day ahead! It felt so good to be able to sleep in this morning. I slept ‘til 8am and felt nice and rested when I got up.

I never showed you all the veggies Eric brought home the other night…straight from his coworker’s, in law’s veggie garden…

IMG_3980

They are an Italian couple and you don’t say no to Italians with an over-flowing veggie garden. Eric said he told them he didn’t need anything and he left with 4 bags of produce!!!! lol. Apparently, the coworker’s father-in-law wants to help us build a veggie garden! We are thinking of building one in 2011.

IMG_3981

Eric came home with celery, zucchini, basil, tomatoes (best tomatoes ever!), 5 bunches of kale, and jalapenos.

IMG_3982

So. much. kale.

IMG_3987

So curly!

IMG_3990

The kale proposed and I said yes!

IMG_3996

Eric said I should have carried kale down the aisle at our wedding. I think he’s onto something here….veggie bouquets!

Not surprisingly, we decided to use up a ton of veggies for dinner last night! Our fridge is so full it is busting at the seams.

IMG_4268

Anything Goes Veggie Roast

Ingredients:

• 4 carrots
  • 1 yellow squash
  • 1 zucchini
  • 2 cups Okra
  • 1 cup Sugar Snap Peas
  • 4 potatoes
  • 3 Swiss Chard leaves
  • 3 Jalapenos (kept on the side as Eric doesn’t like them)
  • 3/4 tsp Kosher sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp Herbamare
  • 2 tbsp cold-pressed sunflower oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 425F. Wash and chop all veggies. Place chopped veggies on 2 greased baking sheets. Drizzle oil over top and massage into veggies to spread evenly. Sprinkle on sea salt, Herbamare, and freshly ground pepper. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and flip veggies and bake for another 35-40 minutes until golden brown and slightly crisp. Serve and sprinkle on additional sea salt if necessary. Dip in ketchup and enjoy!

IMG_4249

Massaging in the sunflower oil to coat the veggies:

IMG_4240

We had it with ketchup on the side for dipping and it was superb! We especially loved the Okra and potatoes. Just lovely.

IMG_4287

I was so pleasantly surprised by the Okra…it is so good. Almost similar to a zucchini in taste. When I compare a veggie to zucchini I mean that it is mild and the taste would blend into virtually anything. Okra would be amazing dipped in some sort of batter and baked to a crisp!

IMG_4288

IMG_4290

I proceeded to make a delicious dessert that I will be telling you about in my next post…

IMG_4346

Breakfast this morning was another smooth as silk Purslane Green Monster

IMG_4355

It included: 3 cups Purslane, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tsp maca, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, 1 large frozen banana, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder.

And a piece of Chocolate Blueberry cake. This is a healthy cake made with spelt flour, blueberries, ground chia seed, maple syrup, cocoa powder, etc….and delicious.

IMG_4371

Sometimes on your Sunday morning, you just need a little cake and Purslane.

The recipe for this cake will be in tonight’s post! Stay tuned.

Eric and I are off for a brick workout now. Other plans for my day off include reading EPL, cleaning, meeting girlfriend for tea, working on online print shop, chopping veggies for the week ahead, and some travel planning. Should be a good & busy one!

Enjoy your Sunday! See you tonight.

1 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 25, 2010

Haha, send the spare kale my way! Tha stuff is like gold dust over here :P
Can’t wait for tonight’s post – the cake looks FANTASTIC! And hey, if yu can have it for breakfast too, then it’s a double win :D
Have a good day!

2 Heather (Heather's Dish) July 25, 2010

congrats on your new engagement :)

i want to eat everything on this entire post…the roasted veggies, the cake, the GM…LOVE it all!

3 Gloria July 25, 2010

Is that the cake from FFV?! I made that too, subbed Spelt, and made a whole bunch of other changes to make it my own – a-ma-zing! I’ve been topping my overnight oats with it and it’s like pure heaven. I can’t believe how moist the blueberry puree makes the cake. It’s so good drizzled with coconut butter too. My family could not believe it was fat free and vegan and the words “Gloria, you’ve really outdone yourself” actually came out of my dad’s mouth :) Can’t wait to see how you ended up making it! Enjoy your day!

4 Cara July 25, 2010

Nice crop of veggies…looks like you have even more veggies to plough through, which means more delicious eating adventures!

5 Megan@EatScrapRun July 25, 2010

I hope you have a great day off from work! Was the okra sticky inside? I couldn’t seem to get past that the one time I tried to eat it.

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

I wouldnt say sticky but it was a bit slimy…i loved it!

7 Hannah July 25, 2010

Dont you just love free food??/ I cant wait to hear more about the Cake!! It looks delish!!!
Do you make your own ketchup??

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

I do…I use tomato paste, a bit of sea salt, and tiny bit of sweetener, to taste :)

9 Ilana July 25, 2010

“you don’t say no to Italians with an over-flowing veggie garden.”
haha great advice! i do very much hope you end up building a veggie garden … we are currently planning mine and i am soooo excited. fresh chard from the back yard? here i come! well, next year.

i love to carry my farmers market leafy greens like bouquets too! they’re stunning. sometimes i think about using leafy veggies as centerpieces at my (potential, currently nonexistant, future) wedding.

thumbs up on the cake for breakfast! blueberry+chocolate=divine!

10 Faith @ LovelyAsCharged July 25, 2010

I hope you and kale are very happy together :)

I was watching Top Chef reruns yesterday and one of the contestants actually did a tempura-fried okra. I totally want to get in on some of that action!

11 Aimee July 25, 2010

Holy Veggies! They look amazing. I had a kale infused GM this morning. So good. I have been on the hunt for purslane but no luck here in Western Massachusetts. I tried a couple of farmer’s markets and Whole Foods. I had never heard of it before you mentioned it, and now I am so intrigued.

Enjoy your day off!

12 Tracy July 25, 2010

Okay, as I am from the South, I have to recommend that you try fried okra. I know, I know . . . . it’s not healthy, but just fry one little piece and you will overflow with joy! We don’t fry it with tempura, but that does sound interesting!

13 Maria @ ahealthiermaria July 25, 2010

I concur! I think this is the way it is meant to be eaten. & I am sure there is some way to health-ify it! :)

14 Cloe July 25, 2010

Please try this! Fried okra has always been one of my favorite foods to eat as a treat! :)

15 Carmen July 25, 2010

Yes, fried okra is the only way I’ve eaten okra and it is soo good!

I was thinking about making a blueberry cake, this one looks great!! Can’t wait for the recipe!

16 Kendel July 25, 2010

Wow, what a generous load of veggies! Next time, be sure to take the celery root along with the tops. You can make a wonderful soup out of it or even roast the root like you did with the other veggies.

17 Diana @ frontyardfoodie July 25, 2010

I love days off! So glad you got to sleep in and take it easy for a while.

Yummy garden goods!!! I’ve been getting tons of kale and other goodnesses including tomatoes from my garden. You should TOTALLY do a garden next year! You’re perfectly suited to it! I can’t imagine all the things you could do!

18 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 25, 2010

Enjoy your day off! Sounds like it’ll be a fun one!

19 Danielle @ Body By Nature July 25, 2010

What a sweet couple to give you all those gorgeous looking veggies! The blueberry chocolate cake looks incredible, can’t wait for you to share the recipe :)

20 TanyasDailyProductReviews July 25, 2010

The desert looks so good!

21 Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) July 25, 2010

You can tell apart the real foodies as the ones who think that veggie roast looks just as yummy as the cake.

Hey, I actually had a question for you! It’s a bit silly.

You cook a lot of veggie dishes and obviously eat a lot of veggies. But you’re always busy. Can you give us some tips for whipping up veggies fast? What kinds of prep work do you do? You mentioned chopping veggies with your hubby…is that the veggies you plan to eat for the next few days? I’m a busy college student, so I always like to learn ways to make stuff faster. Even though I love cooking, too much time in the kitchen = crazy Mimi.

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

On Sunday I take about 1 hour and chop everything in sight. It doesnt seem like much time but I can often prep veggies for the whole week in that amount of time! It helps :)

23 Neen July 25, 2010

All that lovely veg how nice! my dad has an overflowing veggie garden its wonderful! so much better than shop bought!
looking forward to the next post! x

24 ari July 25, 2010

speaking of veggie bouquets, i went to a play at my university last year and instead of flowers, a lady was carrying a head of broccoli wrapped in that plastic flower wrap! i died. best idea ever.

25 Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 25, 2010

The blueberry chocolate cake looks like it stepped out of the pages of Food Vogue ;) Love it!

And do you know there is a growing trend of actually using hearty leafy greens in bride’s bouquets…it looks great! Weird, but quirky and fun!

26 Camille July 25, 2010

Nice veggie haul!
That cake looks amazing! Can’t wait to hear about it!

27 Little Bookworm July 25, 2010

That cake looks amazing – looking forward to the recipe. :)

28 Nicole July 25, 2010

I am also from the South, and fried okra is amazing, especially if the okra are sliced first. I think Kath has a recipe for battering and baking okra with cornmeal.

29 Krystina July 25, 2010

Those tomatoes are gorgeous! So is that cake! I can’t wait for the recipe.

30 Wei-Wei July 25, 2010

That is more kale than I’ve ever seen in real life. (read: I have never had kale before.) Yhis fact saddens me greatly.

Wei Wei

31 Therese July 25, 2010

Fried okra is a southern U.S. specialty! I had it the first time when I moved to Texas. It seems like it’d be gross (it does have a mushy quality that KERF loves) but it’s sooo good. Emily at The Front Burner blog has a recipe for oven “fried” green tomatoes that I really want to try, and I bet the same recipe with bite-sized chunks of okra would be AMAZING as well! Cruncy on the outside, soft on the inside.

32 Mary July 25, 2010

Haha! There was Kale in with my wedding flowers! All the guests loved it and it looked beautiful!

33 Lauren July 25, 2010

That big veggie roast looks so delicious! I never think of doing something simple like that for supper, but I can see one happening in my very near future.

34 Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind July 25, 2010

“Sometimes on your Sunday morning, you just need a little cake and Purslane.”

Haha this line cracks me up, because only in the healthy living blogworld would this line be totally applicable, and have people nodding in agreement. :)

35 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete.wordpress.com July 25, 2010

I can’t wait to see the cake recipe — it looks so rich and divine!

I wish my husband had a coworker like Eric–I’d love for him to bring home bags of produce! You definitely know how to use up all those veggies though!

Enjoy your day!

36 Molly @ MollyRunsFresh July 25, 2010

OK, I can’t wait for the cake recipe tonight. My dad’s birthday is in 2 weeks and I’m planning on baking him a cake!

37 Run Sarah July 25, 2010

I’m so excited to enjoy a day off too! What an amazing vegetable bounty – the tomatoes and kale look especially tasty.

38 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 25, 2010

Your everything goes veggie roast looks sooo yummy. I <3 Veggies!

39 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 25, 2010

aw, your kale bouquet looks very cute! :)

40 Ellen July 25, 2010

we converted about half our back yard into a veggie garden this year, and it’s one of the best things we’ve done! we’ve always made a point of eating veggies, but we now eat so many more because they’re coming out of our ears! give them good soil and some water and they practically grow themselves.

those peppers don’t look like jalapenos. they look more like banana peppers, which are milder than jalapenos and really tasty!

41 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 25, 2010

Mmm, that dessert looks GOOD. Cant’ wait for the recipe :-D

It must be an Italian thing to have a large vegetable garden. My grandpa (Italian side) also has one and every time we go there for dinner we’re sent home with zucchinis and green beans. He would probably send basil, too, but he gave me my own plant :-)

42 Allison @ Food For Healing July 25, 2010

Ooo i want cake!

43 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life July 25, 2010

Wow, lucky you to get all those veggies!!
I can’t WAIT to see your cake recipe – it looks soooo good. :)

44 Pam July 25, 2010

I just love your blog!

Lately, even when I’m not online much, I find myself just typing in Ohsheglows in the address bar, and going straight to your site because I know there’ll be a new post to cheer me up (going through some tough stuff right now :( )

The way you eat and your approach to life is what I aspire to! Even though I’m mostly raw, my family still eats the standard American fare. Your diet is sort of that happy medium that I’d like to bring my family to eventually. I don’t know if they’ll ever give up meat, but I’ve reduced the portions and I try to go organic when possible.

You should definitely consider a garden! It’s a challenge, but can be so rewarding.

45 Rachel July 25, 2010

Cake in the morning… I love it! :D

46 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 25, 2010

I can’t wait for that dessert, it looks amazing!

47 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 25, 2010

I saw that cake on the fat free vegan. It looks even better on yours. :)

48 Alexa July 25, 2010

I have been wanting to get into Eat, Pray, Love for awhile now! and when I saw you pick it up on your blog it jumpstarted me into finally getting it! I can’t wait to start reading ;)
And I just found out it’s going to be a movie, I live under a rock at times. Are you excited for the film version?

49 Tina July 25, 2010

Veggie bouqets. I can see a new trend starting in the blogosphere. ;)

I have been gobbling up the fresh tomatoes I am getting from my sis in law’s garden. Thank goodness she lives in our neighborhood since I am constantly going there to beg for more.

50 Christine July 25, 2010

Can’t wait for that recipe – I made your cookies the other day and they’re AWESOME for pre-workout!

51 Ana July 25, 2010

I love roasted veggies!!
Today I made roasted okras for the first time and loved it! I have always liked okra, my mom made it frequently when I was growing up, and my 8-year old son loves it too. Since I didn’t want to be cooking it over the stove today I just popped in the oven, and some on the grill (I wanted to grill them all but most of the ones I got at the csa box were so tiny that it would not work in the grill). I really enjoyed the roasted okras!
And I have seen that cake on fat free vegan blog too! But seems like yours have a chocolate glaze, even yummier!!
Ana

52 Tracy July 25, 2010

Wow, all those veggies! Everything looks so yummy! Love your photos! Take Care…

53 Lauren M. July 25, 2010

I saw that cake on fat free vegan kitchen!! I wanted to make it the moment I laid eyes on it!

54 Lexi C. July 25, 2010

Me too!! I was just thinking that and wondering if this was a wonderful (and delicious) adaptation :)

55 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' July 25, 2010

I’m so jealous of your vegetable score! I would LOVE to have my own veggie garden someday… when we’re not stuck in a yard-less apartment!

Can’t wait to hear more about the chocolate blueberry cake… I love having dessert for breakfast! :D

56 Amber K July 25, 2010

Fun Sunday morning! i still haven’t been able to find Purslane, but it sounds interesting!

57 Rachel July 25, 2010

On my last birthday, a friend gave me a giant bouquet of kale wrapped in a ribbon. She knows me too well!

58 Annie@stronghealthyfit July 25, 2010

I’m so jealous of your vegetable bounty!

59 Paige @ Running Around Normal July 25, 2010

All those veggies! And that kale! LOL love the proposal pic.
Sounds like you’re going to have a great day off – enjoy :D

60 Kirsten July 25, 2010

So many veggies! I loved how you were posing with the kale bouquet – I think you are onto something there!

61 Amy Lawson July 25, 2010

Hey Angela!!!
Love your blog. I’m sure you already know this, but blaching and freezing is a great (and super easy) way to save your kale for the winter. We get a boatload of it from our CSA, so I have directions on my blog: http://lawsonseatlocal.blogspot.com/2010/07/blanching-101.html
That giant bunch you’re holding would probably fit into a single ziplock! Then it’s great for soups and pasta sauce and whatnot.
~Amy

62 Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 25, 2010

I swear a big plate of roast veggies is my ideal dinner! YUMMO!

63 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 25, 2010

Wow, so much kale! I see some fabulous GMs in your future. ;)

64 Cynthia (It All Changes) July 25, 2010

Momma has a garden and I always leave with free veggies and fruit. I just wish she lived closer so I could get more :-)

That Kale bouquet just fits you. So very Green Monster :-)

65 Jenny July 25, 2010

Mmm I love me some fried okra! Yum!

66 Jennifer July 26, 2010

Angela! I laughed out loud when you said it would be good dipped in a batter and baked (not in a mean way!). We call fried okra “Southern popcorn” down here. I’ve baked it before just to get my “fix” but nothing beats the good ole deep fried stuff I grew up with. I make my batter with cornmeal + flour and S + P – the cornmeal gives it a crunch. Good luck!

67 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 26, 2010

I love the kale bouquet!! Eric is definitely on to something!!

68 Leah July 23, 2012

My bridesmaids had basil in their bouquets! It was a surprise (we used a local, organic flower farm and couldn’t really pick exactly which flowers which made it more fun and unique!) and I didn’t realize I was hungry on our special day until the bridesmaids walked past and I caught a whiff of the delicious basil- yum!