Her Mix-A-Lot

Last night I got into my workout clothes and skipped my workout. Remember my statistic of wearing your workout clothes leading to a workout 90% of the time? Well, I was the 10% last night! I actually did get out on the road and then my ankle felt really tight so I decided not to push it and to have another rest day. If there is one thing I have learned a few rest days are much better than an injury!

I skipped my run in lieu of reading…

IMG 3975 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

Yes, it’s true.

IMG 3977 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

After more than a year and a half of creating hundreds of Green Monsters and putting up with my troublesome blenders, I finally said enough is enough and I purchased a Vitamix 5200. I decided on a Vitamix after seeing the recent Consumer Report’s review of the top 5 blenders, with Vitamix coming out #1.

For the Story of the Green Monster and how I started it, see this post.

I have been saving for a ‘rainy’ day and that rainy day just so happened to be Sunday July 18th, 2010. Well, technically that rainy day was this morning…

IMG 4006 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

That would be the first rain storm we have had in a long time!

The website said it would take 2 weeks to arrive and it got to me in 3 days!

A moment of silence please for Her Mix-A-Lot

IMG 3932 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

Some day down the road, I will be old and grey and I will tell my grandkids that I spent more on this machine than my first house.

IMG 3930 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

To my surprise it just fit underneath the cabinet. A match made in heaven!

I can’t help myself but I love these old school switches and dials.

IMG 3938 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

I also have a fondness for these phones, but Eric said I have to wait another 60 years before I can buy one. Total mood kill.

I love that the jug has clearly defined measurements all the way up. No measuring cups required.

IMG 3939 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

IMG 3943 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

Obviously the first thing I had to make last night was a celebratory Green Monster!

IMG 3945 thumb   Her Mix A Lot IMG 3948 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

As I watched my spinach, Almond milk, banana, wheatgrass powder, carob powder, vodka, and ice whirl away before me, a single tear dropped to the floor.

All that was left was a jug of green velvet.

IMG 3951 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

Sluuurrrrrp.

This morning’s mix involved KALE and I am happy to report I did not have to chew my Green Monster. Although, I admit there was a bit of phantom chewing going on just out of sheer habit.

IMG 4012 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

I do not regret waiting this long to buy a Vitamix because it honestly just feels more special to me now. I cherish it…and pet it…and give it little winks from across the kitchen. Her Mix-A-Lot will be well cared for, don’t you worry.

Now for the rest of this week’s CSA veggie-shoot!

IMG 3629 thumb1   Her Mix A Lot

PURSLANE!

IMG 3642 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

IMG 3643 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

Then I fell in love with this garlic.

IMG 3651 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

IMG 3652 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

IMG 3657 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

IMG 3676 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

LOTS of carrots this week, but sadly, no carrot showgirls!

IMG 3677 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

I think I am going to make a huge carrot juice and then use the pulp for carrot muffins! Anyone have any vegan carrot muffin recipes…or carrot cake?

IMG 3678 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

IMG 3686 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

IMG 3696 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

Not sure what to make with the green beans…I don’t overly feel like Green Bean Casserole!

IMG 3697 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

I do however have a plan for these potatoes. I am a die hard S + V fan so to stumble across this recipe was pure fate.

IMG 3709 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

Two Patty Pan squash!

IMG 3716 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

IMG 3720 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

IMG 3723 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

The whole lot…

IMG 3733 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

The husband watched his crazy wife from inside.

IMG 3741 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

I was lying down on the deck shooting this garlic at this awkward angle. It was intense. After I got up, I looked over and saw him shaking his head and laughing!

IMG 3655 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

Well, we are having a wicked thunder and lightening storm right now…looks like I will have to wait for that elusive run until it clears later today. I better get back to the market prep going on to get ready for tomorrow! Don’t forget the Healthy Living Summit raffle goes only until 12 noon EST. Click here for more info.

IMG 4022 thumb   Her Mix A Lot

Enjoy your Friday!

Nichole July 23, 2010

I love that wine picture. You should definitely make a print.

Vitamix 0, You 1! Total domination!

bellydonsah July 23, 2010

OhmygoshYAY!!!!!!!!!! I am weeping tears of joy on your behalf~ seriously, I think I was *almost* as excited for your VitaMix as I will be for my own. I can also admit that when I was gifted with my KitchenAid mixer, I literally hugged it in passing for a few days and I dare say, I kissed it at least once. Lord help me if I take my next purchase, Excalibur, to bed with me…

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 23, 2010

Thanks ladies! I am happy you understand the sheer joy I have for this beast :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 23, 2010

It’s like welcoming a new member to your family.

Wei-Wei July 23, 2010

Hahahaha YES!

tima July 23, 2010

Hi Angela
I love the way you play with veggie.

Lizzie July 23, 2010

How weird – I was going comment on the 10% thing this morning, regardless of what your AM post was about and then you touched in it anyway! :) Yesterday I did a long run (10 miler) but ended up going to bed late due to a friend staying with us. 5.30am my alarm went off so husband can get to the gym before work and I can fit in a swim before work . . . but this morning he said to me, “Are you swimming this morning?”, and I thought about how tired I felt and said, “No – I’m actually going to listen to my body and get an extra hour of sleep”. Voila! Your words of wisdom are permeating many brains! :) And I used my VM for a GM this morning – glad you’re loving it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Good for you for giving your body rest!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 23, 2010

I am so envious. I want a Vita so bad.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans July 23, 2010

Congratulations on the new family member! I’ve been wracking my brain for ways to justify buying one…

Leslie July 23, 2010

I’d roast the green beans in the oven! YUM.

brandi July 23, 2010

Congrats on the Vitamix!! You’ll be in love after that first smoothie :)

For the carrot cake, I think Mama Pea has a carrot cake/bar recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Tks will check it out!

brandi July 27, 2010
Molly July 23, 2010

This reminds me of when I got my food processor… I used it so much (making nut butters, hummus, vegan banana soft serve) that I burnt up the motor in a day and had to exchange it for a new one! I’m sure your Vita-mix will last wayyyy longer though!

JenATX July 23, 2010

Molly- I am obsessed w/ my food processor as well, haha. i just wish it had a self-cleaning function!

Angela- congrats on your vitamix :) i’m sure the two of you will share many happy moments together!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope July 23, 2010

YAYYY!! I had a feeling that you purchased on based on your tweet. Angela, you deserve a vitamix out of anyone I know. I bought one a few months ago and I love it. I know you will love it probably even more than I do. Enjoy

Maddy July 23, 2010

Here is a great vegan carrot cake recipe! Isa Chandra Moskowitz, author of the cookbooks Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon, always has fantastic and interesting vegan recipes. Vegan with a Vengeance has a delicious Ginger-Macademia-Coconut Carrot Cake recipe as well. Enjoy! http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=282#review

highonhealthy July 23, 2010

Congrats on the vita-mix! It’s so beautiful. Haha. I can’t wait to get my hands on one but unfortunately I don’t see one in my near future.. so I guess I just have to continue chewing my smoothies. But hey, sometimes it’s nice to get a random chunk of banana to chew on.. kind of.

Kristina July 23, 2010

so happy you now have your Vita… aren’t they lovely? :)

when you open your ETSY shop, I want that first CSA photo up there… ;)

Danielle (Runs on Green) July 23, 2010

haha I loveee my vitamix too. Is it crazy that I JUST realized that there’s a built-in measuring cup?!

Oh you’re going to loveee making banana soft serve with her-mix-a-lot :)

Sarah July 23, 2010

I think that vitamix deserves a little ooh and ahh so here you go: oooooh, ahhhhh! I am simultaneously happy for you/extremely jealous! Can’t wait to see what you whip up next with your new blender!

Marta July 23, 2010

congratulations on your Vitamix!! I am longing for one myself but just can’t make the leap quite yet. After my BF tasted my first green smoothie, er, chewie and then we heard about the Vita, he jumped right on board as well!! I’d love to hear your thoughts on it’s performance. I haven’t seen you make a nut butter before (maybe due to lack of proper pulverizing abilities!), but that is something I’m looking forward to and would love to see someone else give it a go in the Vitamix.

Camille July 23, 2010

Congrats on your new Vita Mix baby. she is beautiful!
Also beautiful is the rain :)

Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen July 23, 2010

Oh my gosh I’m so jealous!! I’m glad you finally got your Vitamix, though :) Maybe someday I’ll be able to afford one too!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 23, 2010

Her mix-a-lot…lol. Love it! You are going to LOVE your vita mix!! Cherish it! :-)

Chelsa July 23, 2010

Congrats on the vitamix :) I just got my vita about 3 weeks ago and I’ve been using it everyday . I make smoothies for my boyfriend and our friends. I love it! Don’t you just LOVE how easy it is to clean?

So happy for you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

yes it is So easy to clean!

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 23, 2010

Gurl, I am full of envy.

My day of VitaMix purchase will come as well. You just wait.

;)

MarathonVal July 23, 2010

Congrats on the VitaMix!!! We got one recently after my husband busted the old one haha, and if he hadnt been the one to break the old one I dont think I would have ever been able to win that battle…. you will love it!!!

Also here’s one of my favorite easy green bean recipes! http://chicagomarathonval.com/2010/05/20/baked-tofu-with-miso-mustard-glaze-and-green-bean-kalamata-olive-and-pecan-salad/

Therese July 23, 2010

I’m so happy (and a bit jealous) for you!!! I’m sure those Green Monsters taste extra good now!

You’ve given me an early morning hankering for veggies…must go to grocery store!!!

Brittany July 23, 2010

You know Angela, your photography is so gorgeous, have you ever thought of getting into food photography and styling?? If so, we should chat some more on that ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

I have not really thought about it too much but I really enjoy it! MY BIL’s girlfriend is a food photographer so I want to learn some things from her at some point. :) Thanks for the nice compliment!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut July 23, 2010

Hi Angela,

I’m happy for you that you got your Vitamix! I’m still debating on getting it, and just like you, I will wait for the right time.

I look forward to the recipes you will be making using the Vitamix.

HAPPY BLENDING :)

Anne C July 23, 2010

Have you ever made “Crash Potatoes” — ohh the love. The recipe is here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/
and those Green Beans…. *sigh* — definitely a favorite at our home! Love to chop them up and sautee them with olive oil, garlic, chopped pecans and some honey. Yummm. :)

Love all the pictures and congrats on the VitaMix! My mom always had one that I used growing up, and it certainly was the bestest ever! Happy blending! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

thanks for the recipe!

Jaya July 23, 2010

Angela, even despite the window glare (or maybe because of it), that photo of Eric looking on is absolutely breathtaking. Beautiful shots and congratulations on your VM!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

thank you!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 23, 2010

Congrats! Not having to chew your monsters is more than enough reasons why this machine is needed! She’s a beauty!

I saw them at Costco last weekend, hugged a box, batted my eye at the Fiance, and the he shook his head and said, “Christmas”. Well, there’s hope at least??

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Christmas will be here before you know it!!!

Melanie July 23, 2010

I’m SO glad that I’m not the only person who does the “phantom chewing” thing while eating green monsters. I’ve had a VitaMix for six months now and I *still* do it.

As for the green beans, I love them raw! They’re actually pretty good diced up and put in a salad. They can also be marinated in a vinegar-y dressing for a while and are really good…I had that at a wedding a few weeks ago.

And the garlic totally looked like a little head with hair on it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Phantom chewing…bahahahaha!!!!!

Nikki T July 23, 2010

That is the cutest garlic bulb I’ve ever seen! I would SO put a print of that one in my (Italian) kitchen!

Ali July 23, 2010

The vegan carrot cake recipe in the ‘skinny bitch in the kitch’ cookbook rocks my world! I get requests to make it all the time – especially from my non-vegan friends!

Sabina July 23, 2010

Wicked! I’m jealous! I’m also saving for-a-rainy-vitamix-day. My blender still works, as does my food processor, so despite one day having the money for a VM, I’d likely have to wait until my blender and food processor both die. Sadly, we lack space for *another* appliance, so I’ll have to live vicariously through your blog. :-)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 23, 2010

Woohoo!!!!! I’m excited for you! Only in the blog world would you have so many people this happy for you and a blender :P

Kathryn July 23, 2010

YAY! YAY! YAY! I kind of dont remember how I lived without a vitamix. I use it almost every day. I typically do smoothies, I do my “refried” beans in there, soups and the lot, but I do have to say it makes a bad ass margarita.

I’m a little jealous of your rain storm.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats July 23, 2010

I felt the same way when my Vita arrived a couple of months ago. I had been musing one for over a year, and had chewed my way through many green smoothies. I use my Vita basically every day – and while I occasionally skip a day, there are also days where I use it three times, so it averages out. Every time I use it I feel incredibly grateful, and the smoothies are sooooo lovely and velvety :) I am so glad you are loving yours too!!

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous July 23, 2010

I hope this comes off the right way, but I love that you are just as corny and silly as I am.

I am having a cowboy themed birthday party for myself in a few weeks for my 23rd birthday. I am the Corny Queen.

Juli @ Blessmyheart July 23, 2010

Good for you! You have been working your butt off with the market – why not treat yourself to something that will make your quality of life better ;)

kara July 23, 2010

Way to treat yourself! I would love a VitaMix but the hubby doesn’t seem to think it’s “an investment” like I do!

k8 July 23, 2010

About those green beans… My FAVORITE green beans are pan fried with garlic and olive oil, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and a slash of toasted sesame oil to finish. SOOOOO perfect. And simple. Not gloppy like casserole. But fresh! Vibrant! Green!

Page 1 of 41234»