Her Mix-A-Lot

Last night I got into my workout clothes and skipped my workout. Remember my statistic of wearing your workout clothes leading to a workout 90% of the time? Well, I was the 10% last night! I actually did get out on the road and then my ankle felt really tight so I decided not to push it and to have another rest day. If there is one thing I have learned a few rest days are much better than an injury!

I skipped my run in lieu of reading…

IMG_3975

Yes, it’s true.

IMG_3977

After more than a year and a half of creating hundreds of Green Monsters and putting up with my troublesome blenders, I finally said enough is enough and I purchased a Vitamix 5200. I decided on a Vitamix after seeing the recent Consumer Report’s review of the top 5 blenders, with Vitamix coming out #1.

For the Story of the Green Monster and how I started it, see this post.

I have been saving for a ‘rainy’ day and that rainy day just so happened to be Sunday July 18th, 2010. Well, technically that rainy day was this morning…

IMG_4006

That would be the first rain storm we have had in a long time!

The website said it would take 2 weeks to arrive and it got to me in 3 days!

A moment of silence please for Her Mix-A-Lot

IMG_3932

Some day down the road, I will be old and grey and I will tell my grandkids that I spent more on this machine than my first house.

IMG_3930

To my surprise it just fit underneath the cabinet. A match made in heaven!

I can’t help myself but I love these old school switches and dials.

IMG_3938

I also have a fondness for these phones, but Eric said I have to wait another 60 years before I can buy one. Total mood kill.

I love that the jug has clearly defined measurements all the way up. No measuring cups required.

IMG_3939

IMG_3943

Obviously the first thing I had to make last night was a celebratory Green Monster!

IMG_3945 IMG_3948

As I watched my spinach, Almond milk, banana, wheatgrass powder, carob powder, vodka, and ice whirl away before me, a single tear dropped to the floor.

All that was left was a jug of green velvet.

IMG_3951

Sluuurrrrrp.

This morning’s mix involved KALE and I am happy to report I did not have to chew my Green Monster. Although, I admit there was a bit of phantom chewing going on just out of sheer habit.

IMG_4012

I do not regret waiting this long to buy a Vitamix because it honestly just feels more special to me now. I cherish it…and pet it…and give it little winks from across the kitchen. Her Mix-A-Lot will be well cared for, don’t you worry.

Now for the rest of this week’s CSA veggie-shoot!

IMG_3629

PURSLANE!

IMG_3642

IMG_3643

Then I fell in love with this garlic.

IMG_3651

IMG_3652

IMG_3657

IMG_3676

LOTS of carrots this week, but sadly, no carrot showgirls!

IMG_3677

I think I am going to make a huge carrot juice and then use the pulp for carrot muffins! Anyone have any vegan carrot muffin recipes…or carrot cake?

IMG_3678

IMG_3686

IMG_3696

Not sure what to make with the green beans…I don’t overly feel like Green Bean Casserole!

IMG_3697

I do however have a plan for these potatoes. I am a die hard S + V fan so to stumble across this recipe was pure fate.

IMG_3709

Two Patty Pan squash!

IMG_3716

IMG_3720

IMG_3723

The whole lot…

IMG_3733

The husband watched his crazy wife from inside.

IMG_3741

I was lying down on the deck shooting this garlic at this awkward angle. It was intense. After I got up, I looked over and saw him shaking his head and laughing!

IMG_3655

Well, we are having a wicked thunder and lightening storm right now…looks like I will have to wait for that elusive run until it clears later today. I better get back to the market prep going on to get ready for tomorrow! Don’t forget the Healthy Living Summit raffle goes only until 12 noon EST. Click here for more info.

IMG_4022

Enjoy your Friday!

1 Nichole July 23, 2010

I love that wine picture. You should definitely make a print.

Vitamix 0, You 1! Total domination!

2 bellydonsah July 23, 2010

OhmygoshYAY!!!!!!!!!! I am weeping tears of joy on your behalf~ seriously, I think I was *almost* as excited for your VitaMix as I will be for my own. I can also admit that when I was gifted with my KitchenAid mixer, I literally hugged it in passing for a few days and I dare say, I kissed it at least once. Lord help me if I take my next purchase, Excalibur, to bed with me…

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 23, 2010

Thanks ladies! I am happy you understand the sheer joy I have for this beast :)

4 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 23, 2010

It’s like welcoming a new member to your family.

5 Wei-Wei July 23, 2010

Hahahaha YES!

6 tima July 23, 2010

Hi Angela
I love the way you play with veggie.

7 Lizzie July 23, 2010

How weird – I was going comment on the 10% thing this morning, regardless of what your AM post was about and then you touched in it anyway! :) Yesterday I did a long run (10 miler) but ended up going to bed late due to a friend staying with us. 5.30am my alarm went off so husband can get to the gym before work and I can fit in a swim before work . . . but this morning he said to me, “Are you swimming this morning?”, and I thought about how tired I felt and said, “No – I’m actually going to listen to my body and get an extra hour of sleep”. Voila! Your words of wisdom are permeating many brains! :) And I used my VM for a GM this morning – glad you’re loving it!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Good for you for giving your body rest!

9 Jessica @ How Sweet July 23, 2010

I am so envious. I want a Vita so bad.

10 Madeline - Greens and Jeans July 23, 2010

Congratulations on the new family member! I’ve been wracking my brain for ways to justify buying one…

11 Leslie July 23, 2010

I’d roast the green beans in the oven! YUM.

12 brandi July 23, 2010

Congrats on the Vitamix!! You’ll be in love after that first smoothie :)

For the carrot cake, I think Mama Pea has a carrot cake/bar recipe?

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Tks will check it out!

14 brandi July 27, 2010
15 Molly July 23, 2010

This reminds me of when I got my food processor… I used it so much (making nut butters, hummus, vegan banana soft serve) that I burnt up the motor in a day and had to exchange it for a new one! I’m sure your Vita-mix will last wayyyy longer though!

16 JenATX July 23, 2010

Molly- I am obsessed w/ my food processor as well, haha. i just wish it had a self-cleaning function!

Angela- congrats on your vitamix :) i’m sure the two of you will share many happy moments together!

17 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope July 23, 2010

YAYYY!! I had a feeling that you purchased on based on your tweet. Angela, you deserve a vitamix out of anyone I know. I bought one a few months ago and I love it. I know you will love it probably even more than I do. Enjoy

18 Maddy July 23, 2010

Here is a great vegan carrot cake recipe! Isa Chandra Moskowitz, author of the cookbooks Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon, always has fantastic and interesting vegan recipes. Vegan with a Vengeance has a delicious Ginger-Macademia-Coconut Carrot Cake recipe as well. Enjoy! http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=282#review

19 highonhealthy July 23, 2010

Congrats on the vita-mix! It’s so beautiful. Haha. I can’t wait to get my hands on one but unfortunately I don’t see one in my near future.. so I guess I just have to continue chewing my smoothies. But hey, sometimes it’s nice to get a random chunk of banana to chew on.. kind of.

20 Kristina July 23, 2010

so happy you now have your Vita… aren’t they lovely? :)

when you open your ETSY shop, I want that first CSA photo up there… ;)

21 Danielle (Runs on Green) July 23, 2010

haha I loveee my vitamix too. Is it crazy that I JUST realized that there’s a built-in measuring cup?!

Oh you’re going to loveee making banana soft serve with her-mix-a-lot :)

22 Sarah July 23, 2010

I think that vitamix deserves a little ooh and ahh so here you go: oooooh, ahhhhh! I am simultaneously happy for you/extremely jealous! Can’t wait to see what you whip up next with your new blender!

23 Marta July 23, 2010

congratulations on your Vitamix!! I am longing for one myself but just can’t make the leap quite yet. After my BF tasted my first green smoothie, er, chewie and then we heard about the Vita, he jumped right on board as well!! I’d love to hear your thoughts on it’s performance. I haven’t seen you make a nut butter before (maybe due to lack of proper pulverizing abilities!), but that is something I’m looking forward to and would love to see someone else give it a go in the Vitamix.

24 Camille July 23, 2010

Congrats on your new Vita Mix baby. she is beautiful!
Also beautiful is the rain :)

25 Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen July 23, 2010

Oh my gosh I’m so jealous!! I’m glad you finally got your Vitamix, though :) Maybe someday I’ll be able to afford one too!

26 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 23, 2010

Her mix-a-lot…lol. Love it! You are going to LOVE your vita mix!! Cherish it! :-)

27 Chelsa July 23, 2010

Congrats on the vitamix :) I just got my vita about 3 weeks ago and I’ve been using it everyday . I make smoothies for my boyfriend and our friends. I love it! Don’t you just LOVE how easy it is to clean?

So happy for you!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

yes it is So easy to clean!

29 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 23, 2010

Gurl, I am full of envy.

My day of VitaMix purchase will come as well. You just wait.

;)

30 MarathonVal July 23, 2010

Congrats on the VitaMix!!! We got one recently after my husband busted the old one haha, and if he hadnt been the one to break the old one I dont think I would have ever been able to win that battle…. you will love it!!!

Also here’s one of my favorite easy green bean recipes! http://chicagomarathonval.com/2010/05/20/baked-tofu-with-miso-mustard-glaze-and-green-bean-kalamata-olive-and-pecan-salad/

31 Therese July 23, 2010

I’m so happy (and a bit jealous) for you!!! I’m sure those Green Monsters taste extra good now!

You’ve given me an early morning hankering for veggies…must go to grocery store!!!

32 Brittany July 23, 2010

You know Angela, your photography is so gorgeous, have you ever thought of getting into food photography and styling?? If so, we should chat some more on that ;)

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

I have not really thought about it too much but I really enjoy it! MY BIL’s girlfriend is a food photographer so I want to learn some things from her at some point. :) Thanks for the nice compliment!

34 Lea @ Healthy Coconut July 23, 2010

Hi Angela,

I’m happy for you that you got your Vitamix! I’m still debating on getting it, and just like you, I will wait for the right time.

I look forward to the recipes you will be making using the Vitamix.

HAPPY BLENDING :)

35 Anne C July 23, 2010

Have you ever made “Crash Potatoes” — ohh the love. The recipe is here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/
and those Green Beans…. *sigh* — definitely a favorite at our home! Love to chop them up and sautee them with olive oil, garlic, chopped pecans and some honey. Yummm. :)

Love all the pictures and congrats on the VitaMix! My mom always had one that I used growing up, and it certainly was the bestest ever! Happy blending! :)

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

thanks for the recipe!

37 Jaya July 23, 2010

Angela, even despite the window glare (or maybe because of it), that photo of Eric looking on is absolutely breathtaking. Beautiful shots and congratulations on your VM!

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

thank you!

39 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 23, 2010

Congrats! Not having to chew your monsters is more than enough reasons why this machine is needed! She’s a beauty!

I saw them at Costco last weekend, hugged a box, batted my eye at the Fiance, and the he shook his head and said, “Christmas”. Well, there’s hope at least??

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Christmas will be here before you know it!!!

41 Melanie July 23, 2010

I’m SO glad that I’m not the only person who does the “phantom chewing” thing while eating green monsters. I’ve had a VitaMix for six months now and I *still* do it.

As for the green beans, I love them raw! They’re actually pretty good diced up and put in a salad. They can also be marinated in a vinegar-y dressing for a while and are really good…I had that at a wedding a few weeks ago.

And the garlic totally looked like a little head with hair on it.

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Phantom chewing…bahahahaha!!!!!

43 Nikki T July 23, 2010

That is the cutest garlic bulb I’ve ever seen! I would SO put a print of that one in my (Italian) kitchen!

44 Ali July 23, 2010

The vegan carrot cake recipe in the ‘skinny bitch in the kitch’ cookbook rocks my world! I get requests to make it all the time – especially from my non-vegan friends!

45 Sabina July 23, 2010

Wicked! I’m jealous! I’m also saving for-a-rainy-vitamix-day. My blender still works, as does my food processor, so despite one day having the money for a VM, I’d likely have to wait until my blender and food processor both die. Sadly, we lack space for *another* appliance, so I’ll have to live vicariously through your blog. :-)

46 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 23, 2010

Woohoo!!!!! I’m excited for you! Only in the blog world would you have so many people this happy for you and a blender :P

47 Kathryn July 23, 2010

YAY! YAY! YAY! I kind of dont remember how I lived without a vitamix. I use it almost every day. I typically do smoothies, I do my “refried” beans in there, soups and the lot, but I do have to say it makes a bad ass margarita.

I’m a little jealous of your rain storm.

48 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats July 23, 2010

I felt the same way when my Vita arrived a couple of months ago. I had been musing one for over a year, and had chewed my way through many green smoothies. I use my Vita basically every day – and while I occasionally skip a day, there are also days where I use it three times, so it averages out. Every time I use it I feel incredibly grateful, and the smoothies are sooooo lovely and velvety :) I am so glad you are loving yours too!!

49 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous July 23, 2010

I hope this comes off the right way, but I love that you are just as corny and silly as I am.

I am having a cowboy themed birthday party for myself in a few weeks for my 23rd birthday. I am the Corny Queen.

50 Juli @ Blessmyheart July 23, 2010

Good for you! You have been working your butt off with the market – why not treat yourself to something that will make your quality of life better ;)

51 kara July 23, 2010

Way to treat yourself! I would love a VitaMix but the hubby doesn’t seem to think it’s “an investment” like I do!

52 k8 July 23, 2010

About those green beans… My FAVORITE green beans are pan fried with garlic and olive oil, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and a slash of toasted sesame oil to finish. SOOOOO perfect. And simple. Not gloppy like casserole. But fresh! Vibrant! Green!

53 Katie July 23, 2010

On behalf of the little town where I grew up, thanks for buying a Vita-Mix! My parents live down the street from the factory and every once in a while they have dent-and-scratch sales (or at least they used to) for the folks in town, so my family has had one as long as I can remember (though I don’t think it’s the super-duper one you got). And don’t worry about having to explain to the grandkids about the cost. Once you pass yours on to them and they start using it, they’ll understand! The only bad part is, you’ll never be satisfied with any other brand of blender ever again. Congrats!

54 Heather (Heather's Dish) July 23, 2010

congratulations!!! i’m so proud of you for just going for it :)

55 Kara @ MyWellnest July 23, 2010

Congrats on your vitamix!!!!!!!!

56 ari July 23, 2010

i’ve had this recipe bookmarked for so long, but have yet to make it hahaha

my dad also makes THE BEST vegan carrot cake i’ve ever had. i’ve got to get the recipe!

57 Lauren July 23, 2010

This could very well be due to the fact that I watched Toy Story 3 yesterday, but that garlic totally looks like a Troll doll!

58 Laura (B Foxy Fitness) July 23, 2010

You lucky girl! That is one extreme blender and I love that you refer to it as Her Mix-a-Lot! Made me smile today :) Of course, those veggie pics are also impressive–you’re quite the talented photographer!

59 Jen July 23, 2010

What a great way to use ‘rainy day funds’! I love the white/black combination, the 5200 was only and black when I received it last year. It’s such a fun machine to use! Enjoy!

60 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 23, 2010

Wow… lucky for you it came so quick!! I had to wait 2 weeks!! hehe
it looks beautiful!!!!! And you’ll love it.. I use my vitamix every day!! :) (at least once)

61 Chelsey July 23, 2010

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you and the hubs on the new addition to your family! I would send a card, but I think that might be a little much. :)

62 neiry mae July 23, 2010

Okay, since only one other person has mentioned this, I feel the need to reiterate: that photo of Eric is ADORABLE. The way he’s lookin’ at ya is so cute. Yay, love! Doesn’t if make you feel all fuzzy inside? :)

63 Laura July 23, 2010

AHHH! I love that look Eric is giving you through the window. He luuuuuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvs you!!

Purslane is a funny, wonderful weed. I pulled a big chunk out of the ground the last week when I was out running, and dropped it into my flowerbed, meaning to get it later to make a Green Monster. But I forgot about it. I checked it yesterday afternoon, and it had taken root and grown in size!! All the rain we’ve had did it some good! I can now go out and hack it at will for delicious salads and Monsters!

Yeah!!

64 Jess @ MTL Veggie July 23, 2010

Congrats on your splurge :)
It’s such an awesome feeling when you finally get that big ticket item you’ve coveted for so long!
I finally bought my first DSLR a month ago- I had been waiting for over 3 years and couldn’t stop smiling over it for a week!

65 Jocelyn July 23, 2010

Congratz Angela! I know how much you have wanted a vitamix!

Yesterday I took the plunge as well! I’m not sure when mine will get here..but it’s exciting..
I ordered the Vita-Mix TurboBlend 4500 64 oz. Blender ..it was about 150 cheaper then the other kinds/colors..so I took that and ran :P:P

I hope i enjoy it as much as you :D:D Can’t wait to read about your vitamix creations!

66 Wei-Wei July 23, 2010

VITAMIX! I AM SO JEALOUS. I have a Blendtec though, and that’s quite good too right? I like your veggie photo shoot. I’m not surprised at Eric’s reaction ;)

Wei-Wei

67 Christina July 23, 2010

Congrats on your VitaMix! Of all people, you definitely need one Ms. Green Monster Movement!

68 goli July 23, 2010

CONGRATULATIONS! i really want to get one vita too. do you mind if i ask you where you bought it from? i live in hamilton area and i have been looking for it for a while.
thx

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

I bought it through the vitamix website. :)

70 Sarah L. July 23, 2010

Congrats on your Vita-Mix, and bountiful CSA haul!

This is my favourite vegan carrot muffin recipe at the moment: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/04/03/24-carrot-gold/ I sub a flax egg for the ener-g egg replacer and they are delish!

I love green beans in stir fries and curries and they also make an amazing side dish. I sautee them with olive oil, garlic and sliced almonds and they are great!

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

YUM tks!

72 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 23, 2010

We just got a kitchen aid blender. It replaced out moldy smoothie blender. Yes, I said moldy.

73 Lori July 23, 2010

Love my Vita mix. Only had mine a few weeks but use it every day. My picky husband and kids don’t have any idea what’s in the smoothie I make them every morning :) I tell people it could make juice out of piece of leather (not that I’ve tried). Bought mine at Costco.

My fav green beans recipe, steamed green beans, thin shallot rings fried crisp in oil (no batter), salt, pepper, chopped mint and chopped jalapeño pepper (to taste).

74 Sasha July 23, 2010

1. I loved the title of your previous post: Chard Crossed Lovers. So witty!
2. Congratulations on your new purchase. I don’t know much about VitaMix (Gasp! I live in a far-away land where VitaMix is unheard of!) But I understand that it is the Holy Grail of food processors and I understand your joy at possessing it :)
3. Beans and carrots in your CSA: it’s a sign! Have you ever tried bean-carrot stir-fry with red onions? Yummy combo!
(a) Heat 1 tblspn (or less) oil in a saucepan.
(b) Throw in a pinch of mustard seeds and cumin. Wait for the mustards to crackle and pop.
(c) Throw in a pinch of turmeric powder, red chilli powder (or cayenne?) and any seasonings you like (some masala? curry leaves? minced garlic?)
(d) Add 1-2 medium red onions chopped and stir until golden brown (caramellized?)
(e) Add chopped beans (remove the tips and drag out the strings first from both ends!) and chopped carrots. Stir. Cover and cook on low flame until the veggies are soft but not mushy.
(f) Add salt as per taste and mix well.
(g) Garnish with unsweetened grated coconut

Tastes yummy with yogurt and rice/quinoa. Even tastier if mixed with yogurt and wrapped in a tortilla :)

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

thank you for this recipe!

76 Tyrah July 23, 2010

Congrats on the VIta!!!!!!
You will never stop loving it that much, it’s so wonderful =)
Love your CSA photo shoots;)
We eat our green beans raw on salads out of the garden. They’re also great to break and add to soups at the end so they’re still a bit crunchy.
So happy for you and your new blender <3

77 Tara July 23, 2010

OK, I have been addicted to your blog lately. I LOVE IT. But you have me on a juicing frenzy. But sadly I don’t have a juicer, but I do have my beloved Vitamix. I am finding that my smoothies have a very grainy texture (frothy isn’t quite the word, but I worry that grainy isn’t the right word either…I just feel like I am drinking pulp). Do you know what to do? (or, I should say, now that you have one, are you going to try to juice?!?!!) I have heard of people using the Vitamix and then pouring the juice through a nutbag. Any thoughts? I can’t wait for you to try everything with the Vitamix. LOVE IT

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

I will blend whole pieces of fruit probably at some point. I think pouring through cheesecloth might work!

79 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete.wordpress.com July 23, 2010

I can’t wait until this is ME getting a VitaMix — Congrats 100 times, I am so happy for you! :)

Beautiful veggies, absolutely beautiful.

80 Joanna July 23, 2010

What? You, the queen of green monsters, did not have a vitamix? I can’t believe it! Even I have one. Well, actually, it’s not mine, it’s my mother’s, but since I’m staying here for the summer I have been having lots of fun with it.

81 Erin July 23, 2010

I’m so jealous of your vitamix! Congrats! You’ll have much fun with it.

82 Jessica @ Rawtumn July 23, 2010

YAY! Congrats on the new vitamix! I’ll be getting mine shortly! We had another high speed blender brand but it was soooo old and burned out several months ago. I miss having kale in my smoothies, my current blender just can’t handle it so it’s always spinach and romaine for me!

83 Elizabeth July 23, 2010

Yay! I had a feeling you would be getting one soon. Just got mine at Costco a few weeks ago- LOVE it! You enjoy it girl! :-)

84 Ashley July 23, 2010

I Posted a vegan zucchini muffin recipe the other day that someone said they subbed out the zucch and made carrot muffins. Might need to add a bit more liquid but it should work. The muffins are SOooo delicious :)

85 Amanda July 23, 2010

I hope Eric doesn’t get jealous of Her-mix-a-lot!

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Eric says I am having an affair with the kitchen….bahaha

87 Marie July 23, 2010

Haha I’m loving the name! Your veggie shots are incredible, I always feel strange ogling over pictures of garlic and carrots, but darn it it’s love! Haha :) I would love a Vita one day, but I think my next big purchase will be a SLR camera… as much as I love my point-and-shoot I NEED a SLR! ;)

88 LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils July 23, 2010

For the green beans – Eat Drink and Be Vegan has the BEST recipe for lemoney broiled green beans … cooked exactly like it sounds! They’re delicious and a fun way to cook up your beans.

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

thanks this sounds perfect!

90 jamie July 23, 2010

i really like katie’s carrot cake muffins at chocolatecoveredkatie.com

91 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 23, 2010

I love thunderstorms! Congrats on your Vitamix. I want one real bad but the price scares me away, haha.

92 Laura (youngDCliving) July 23, 2010

Aggh! Congratulations–I feel that buying a Vita-Mix is worthy of a celebration, in my book. I don’t know when I will be able to afford one either, if ever. I love your photography in this post! Especially the garlic, silly or not silly :)

Were you surprised it fit underneath the counter? I thought you had originally said the dimensions wouldn’t…yay, anyway!

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

The dimensions were like Exactly the same…so I thought it could go either way. I was so happy to be able to squeeze it in!!

94 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe July 23, 2010

I’m so jealous on two accounts:
Vitamix.
Thunderstorm.

I am super stoked for you!!!! You totally deserve a Vita after how many green monsters you’ve made in the last couple of years.

My step-dad gave me fresh green beans from his garden and I just sauteed them on low heat in some olive oil and my favorite seasonings until they were soft. Then, I proceeded to eat them like candy for days on end. I ate them cold. I ate them hot. It’s getting me all worked up just talking about it! They were SO good!

95 Alyssa @ bride to be fit July 23, 2010

So jealous! My old, hand me down blender makes me chew my green monsters. Yuck. As for the green beans, I lovvveee roasting them with sea salt and a little olive oil. Then I eat them like French fries… Ketchup and all!

96 Lexi July 23, 2010

I have an amazing carrot cake recipe (tried ‘n true from many summeres of my childhood!) that has been on my “to-veganize” list, but I haven’t had time lately. My guess is it wouldn’t be terribly hard as the only change needed would be substituing for the 2-3 eggs in the recipe. And let’s not forget the payoff…

1 ridiculously, incredibly, fantastically moist and delish carrot-studded cake.
AND
1 ridiculously, incredibly, fantastically happy cake devourer (is that even a word?)

If you decide to make the optional almaretto-scented cream cheese frosting, you might just reach a whole new level of nirvana. No joke.

If you’d like to give it a try, just let me know and I’ll email it over :)

97 Tina July 23, 2010

Yay!!!! I love how you named it Her-Mix-A-Lot. That song always makes me smile…like your Vitamix will always make you smile.

98 Tracey July 23, 2010

Wow, a Vitamix!! I’m so excited for you….and possibly a little jealous, but trying not to let my Oster see ;)

99 brit July 23, 2010

dang girl!!! good for you! there is nothing like getting a new appliance. and then looking at it. and touching it. and then positioning it. hahahaha. its sort of like getting a new outfit but almost better. hmmm thats a good question. question…does new appliance trump new outfit?

100 Monika @ Forever-improving Girl July 23, 2010

Ah, at last you got the longed-for Vita Mix! It couldn’t have gone to a better home.

Just wanted to say “thanks” for this blog: you’re my favourite health-blogger (especially since I too am vegan, and being able to use all the recipes you post is awesome, and because you live in the same neck of the woods as me) and even got me and my hubby to decide to do a try-a-tri next year (which will be tricky since I don’t know how to swim and am grossed out by lake-water, and hubby has just started running).

So a quick thank you from a fellow vegan/runner/healthy-lifestyle/Toronto(area) girl :-D

101 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

aww thank you so much!

102 Autumn Tao July 23, 2010

I came across this yesterday and it’s on my list…

103 Amber K July 23, 2010

I have been dreaming about making just such a purchase. But it is just not in the budget! Not anytime soon anyway.

104 adriana July 23, 2010

Re: Purslane…I was whining about how badly I wanted to try purslane. My mom just happened to glance at the computer screen when I said this and she said “mira, son verdolagas.” She said “look, it’s verdolagas” in Spanish. I realized that while no stores in my area carry purslane, some hispanic stores do carry verdolagas, which is the spanish name for purslane. She is supposed to pick up some for me today. Can’t wait to try it!

105 Angela July 23, 2010

Hands down best.vegan.carrot.muffin.ever…..at http://www.happyherbivore.com. It’s her fatfree vegan carrot muffins with a low-fat tofutti cream cheese frosting…..

106 Haley July 23, 2010

Congrats on your new VitaMix baby… :::jealous::: That is my next “big” purchase. ENJOY!

107 Hallie July 23, 2010

Congrats on the new toy! I want one so bad…someday, someday.

If it’s not too hot to turn on your oven, roasted green beans are amazing! Just a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 400 or 425 (F, obviously) for 15-20 minutes. They’re like little green bean fries! Totally addicting.

108 Kacy July 23, 2010

Ah! So exciting! I would die for one!

I think Janetha (Meals and Moves) has a vegan carrot cake recipe.

109 Crystal July 23, 2010

This is going to sound weird, but how loud is the Vitamix? Does it sound like a jet engine taking off in the kitchen?

My mom used to make a green bean dish with slivered almonds. It was so delicious!

110 Tara July 23, 2010

It is kind of loud, that’s the downside!

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

it is loud, but I compare the noise to a good kind of loud like a Ferrari ;p
My kitchenaid blender had a loud high pitched shrill noise.

112 Bridget July 23, 2010

Hooray for Vitamix! I’m so happy you finally got one after all the swooning. I’m sure you’ll tend to it like a newborn baby :)

I love how rustic all your CSA veggies are. And I’m really craving patty pan squashes. I’ve spent a year without and defs need them back in my life!

113 Callie July 23, 2010

Congrats! You must be so excited to have a Vitamix. I want one so badly. :)

114 Angela July 23, 2010

I am so jealous of your Vitamix! I work at Starbucks and we use Vitamix’s for our blended drinks and we got all new ones in the other day and I asked my boss what we were doing with old ones and he said they were throwing them away!! I begged for one but apparently that’s not allowed.. who would throw a Vitamix away?!

115 Emily @ For Sweets Sake July 23, 2010

I’ve been saving my pennies for the day (probably years away) I can get a vitamix,but is it everything you had hoped for and so much more? i’m so excited for you!!

116 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 23, 2010

Yipppppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeee!!! I am so glad you bought the Vita-Mix!!!! I can’t wait to see what you make with it … I have one too, so I can totally make all the amazing recipes you will come up with ;-)

I love that pic of your husband – he looks like he is admiring his cute wife :-)

117 Krissy July 23, 2010

OH ANGE – She’s BEAUTIFUL – I’m not sure why I’m assuming it’s a “she” but either way, congrats!!!!!!! No one deserves it more than you!
I love you my girl!
xoxo

118 Amanda July 23, 2010

You are too cute! lol I love your blog. Its fun, informative and funny! I like that I can come here for healthy recipes, inspiration and a good laugh. Thanks!

119 Val July 23, 2010

We have a Vitamix at home too and it is heavenly. Great purchase… you will love it!

120 Sara July 23, 2010

VegetarianTimes has an excellent vegan carrot cake! I made it for my birthday party and even my friends who tease me about being a vegetarian loved it! :)

121 rachel July 23, 2010

i had some green beans i didn’t know what to do with either, so i just chopped them up with some potatoes and cooked them and made a salad out of it. add a simple dressing and you’re good to go. so easy and tasty :)

122 Miranda July 23, 2010

You should roast the green beans, toss them with some olive oil add sea salt and roast in the oven at 425 for 10-15 minutes, they are better than french fries!

123 erica July 23, 2010

congrats on “her-mix-a-lot”!!!! i’m so jealous, i want one! i’m currently using a magic bullet…it’s convienient but just not the same. i dream of owning a vitamix!

124 Michal July 23, 2010

I love that shot of the garlic! Well worth being laughed at :-p I’ve been laughed at for years for stuff like that.
I’ve heard you can’t make SoftServes in the VitaMix. Have you tried doing so?

125 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 23, 2010

CONGRATS!! I love the name. *I’m hooked and I can’t stop blending” I would probably cry tears of joy the second that baby hit my counter top. My magic bullet just does NOT compare. It can’t even fully blend frozen bananas!

Those veggies looks beautifullll. So funny that you were taking pictures all awkwardly, but it was all worth it. The shots came out great. I want to come over for dinner!! :)

126 Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) July 23, 2010

Embrace the Vita and let it OWN YOUR SOUL. You know what’s AWESOME? Mix like two cups of frozen fruit with some banana, cashews, vanilla, and water and you get SUPER creamy, delish ice cream. It’s the tamper. That tamper is a gift from the gods.

127 Caro July 23, 2010

I’m in the market for a new food processor and am wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on the best food processors and/or blenders out there?? And I must admit I don’t know too much about the Vitamix – does it serve as both a processor and blender?? After reading all of teh congrats, it seems like there must be nothing this machine can’t do!! :) Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!

128 Stephanie July 23, 2010

I have literally never been so jealous in my entire life. I fell in love with the vitamix when I saw someone just throw in carrots without cutting them up and it turned them into smoothie so easily. One day I’ll have money, sigh.

129 Allison @ Food For Healing July 23, 2010

Ooo a vitamix, how exciting!

130 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 23, 2010

eeeek how exciting!!!!!! I really need to upgrade my blender!!!

131 Gypsy July 23, 2010

I have been waiting for you to get your vitamix! It’s definitely my next purchase when my current blender dies. This is your livelihood – you deserve one!

so – this comment is really for your chard post but I wanted to make sure you saw it so I posted it here. Have you ever had good mood raw food? They sell it at the health food store in LA and I had the most delicious chard/collard greens wrapped italian sub. I ate one for lunch 3 days in a row but lately they haven’t had it. However, I believe you have the ability to recreate this recipe and fall in love with chard at the same time.
Here’s the ingredients for the stuffing: cashews, brazil nuts, tomatoes, mixed greens, sundried tomatoes, raisins, pesto sauce, evoo, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, arugula, basil, parsley, lemon, water, garlic, braggs, aloe vera, sea salt.
I imagine you throw it all in the food processor and then wrap it up in one of the chard or collard green leaves.

If you ever need something to do on a rainy day ;)

It’s super delicious!!

132 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

thanks for sharing this!

133 Dawn Linklater July 23, 2010

Hi Angela,
Just wanted to say, your photos are AWARD-WINNING! Really terrific! The last garlic photo is great, and the picture of the mustard green or whatever that is with the light shining through is so cool! They should go on your wall too – make room in the collage! :)
My family and I are in the Fort Myers area for the month of July, I stopped in at Whole Foods in Naples yesterday and got some Amazing Meal Chocolate Infusion. Do you get yours in Ontario? If so, where?
Your green monster looked very silky and smooth and delish! Hope you enjoy your new Vitamix!
Thanks for the great post…
Dawn

134 bitt July 23, 2010

your life will be changed forever! you can do so much now with the blender! enjoy it.

thanks for the weekly veggie porn. :-)

135 Chandra July 23, 2010

I laughed out loud at you petting and winking at your new baby!! I got a food processor a couple weeks ago, and am guilty of the same thing!!

136 kelley drawdy July 23, 2010

can i just say…..i don’t have a vitamix – but i finally had the guts to try overnight strawberry carob banana oatmeal…i was so skeptical…………………………..OMG – will have it again tomorrow……………………..thank you!

137 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Glad you like!!!

138 Jen July 23, 2010

Congratulations! I bought a Vita-Mix too and it just arrived today!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m thinking of a green monster right about now…

139 beetred July 23, 2010

congrats on the vitamix! i’ve gotten carrots in my CSA box for the past FOUR weeks. the best thing besides eating them raw with hummus is making carrot burgers with an avocado topping. i only tweaked it a little bit to make it vegan and it’s delicious, one of my favorite veggie burgers.

140 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' July 23, 2010

Congrats on the new Vita-Mix! I got mine a couple months ago, and I couldn’t agree more– I appreciate it SO much now that I waited to get it!

And it’s nice to have super-smooth green smoothies! :)

141 Erica July 24, 2010

Congrats on your new vita-mix! That’s such a clever name. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who names her blenders (I’ve had ol’ blendy since my first year of university – he’s seen many a green smoothie in his time).

As for the green beans, if they’re relatively young and tender, eat them raw! Seriously, they’re crunchy, delicious and perfect on a hot summer day – my grandfather used to grow green and yellow string beans and my twin and I would demolish half the basket on our way back to the house.

142 AGS July 24, 2010

Angela — these photos are among your best. That first shot of the purslane, in particular, is striking. And if a photo causes me to use “purslane” and “striking” in the same sentence, i guess that’s proof positive you had a top of the line photo shoot. GREAT job.

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Wow thank you for thsi nice compliment! :)

144 krista July 24, 2010

You must make the easiest, yummiest green bean salad. Quickly blanch then refresh the beans in ice water. Toast up some sesame seeds, small dice a red pepper. For the dressing all you need is some tamari and olive oil, throw it all together. Deliciousness!

145 Pure2raw twins July 24, 2010

You will love your Vita-mix, which I am sure you already know that ; ) LOL

We have shared on our blog our raw vegan carrot cakes using carrot apple juice pulp. They are delicious!

146 Stephanie July 26, 2010

My mom makes these green beans all the time. Delicious – http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1650,152191-249192,00.html

147 Lauren @ Fun, Fit, and Fabulous! July 27, 2010

Oh man have I chewed a green monster or two!!! I think a vitamax needs to be in my very near future. I love all of your pictures; they make me want to start a garden!

148 amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler July 30, 2010

My boyfriend and I debated for a long time on whether or not to get a Vita-Mix or a Blendtec. He finally chose on the Blendtec for horsepower reasons (so manly!).

But yes, green smoothies are divinely smooth in a quality blender. The Blendtec has made lots of kitchen tasks easier for me. Worth every penny!