The Good News and The Bad News

Morning!

Last night was a productive night. We hung the small collage of pictures, did the garbage, tax return, laundry, and uploaded albums. No time to read though. Hopefully tonight!

Last night Eric told me something that happened to him the other day.

He said, ‘Do you want the good news or the bad news first?’

‘Good, always.’

‘I think I am immune to pop.’

‘That was fast. The bad news?’

‘I drank pop today.’

I laughed.

He swallowed.

‘I was out for lunch and I bought some juice, or what I thought was juice anyways. It was some type of orange drink. I took a sip and discovered it was carbonated POP.’

He swallowed.

‘That’s no big deal, anyone could have made that mistake. Don’t worry about it! The good news?’

‘I took a drink of it and almost spit it out- it tasted so gross to me. I can’t believe I used to drink that stuff.’

He had the guiltiest look on his face I think I have ever seen. I had to smile. I don’t know what he was more horrified of: the fact that he wasn’t expecting to taste pop or the fact that he doesn’t enjoy the taste anymore! Either way, I am a proud wife. It just goes to show you how taste buds can dramatically change after just 4 months.

It also made me think about when I made the transition to a vegan diet. It wasn’t a sudden decision on my part, but one that was done over the course of a year. I slowly began to cut down meat and dairy. I craved cheese, yogurt, and eggs a lot for about 4 months and then the cravings just stopped. I now get cravings for the new foods that I eat, almost as if my body forgets what I used to eat, or better yet, maybe prefers the new diet all together.

Eric finds that he now craves drinks like orange juice and tea when he previously would have craved a pop and he says his cravings for Coke have gone away about 99% in just 4 months. For his Coke story and why he decided to kick the habit, see this post.

I asked him if he would ever drink Coke in moderation again, like at a party or dinner out.

‘I don’t think I could bring myself to drink a can.’

IMG_3738

This morning I was a photographer fail and my camera battery died on me. I blame the ridiculously long photoshoot I had with the CSA veggies last night on the deck. The back-up battery was dead too, which I know, completely defeats the purpose of a back-up battery. It’s all good. I will have two batteries in a couple hours so I can snap my little heart out.

In lieu of not having any breakfast pictures, I thought I would show you some of my favourite Vegan Overnight Oats Parfait shots…prepare to drool!

IMG_9383

IMG_6861

The one on the left is the one Eric made for me on my birthday in May!

IMG_7080 IMG_8506

IMG_1585

IMG_9531

IMG_8510

IMG_9528-2

IMG_0078

IMG_0298

IMG_0777

IMG_0910

Recipes can be found on my recipe page (I update it daily!). Are you a vegan overnight oats or regular overnight oats fan? What is your favourite way to eat it?

I think my favourite way is with peanut butter banana soft serve (1 frozen banana processed with 1 tbsp peanut butter) and Classic vegan overnight oats (1/2 cup oats, 1 cup almond milk, 1-2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/4 scoop Amazing Grass chocolate amazing meal).

My second fabourite way is Cherry Chocolate VOO.

Healthy Living Summit charity raffle begins today until Friday at noon EST!

I am raffling off one HLS ticket for this year’s Healthy Living Summit in Chicago Aug 13-15th! All proceeds will go to the Canadian Cancer Society.

Visit my donation page to make your donation: Click here.

• Donating $10 gets you one raffle ticket
  • Donating $20 gets you three raffle tickets

Please provide a valid email and contact name and write ‘HLS’ in the notes.  I will be drawing the winner randomly after Friday at noon EST! Please note that I am raffling off only the HLS conference ticket and the winner must pay for all other travel and hotel expenses.

Good luck and thank you to all who enter!!!

Today’s question- Have your taste buds ever changed over time for certain foods?

Page 3 of 3«123
Lauren August 20, 2010

Ok, didn’t take me long after I left that comment to make start prepping the overnight oats! I’m so excited because my mother-in-law loaned me her food processor so I can make them with the banana soft serve. I showed my husband your pictures and he literally said, “whoooaa” out loud, and asked what it is. He also pronounced his love for vegan food at Karyn’s on Green the other night and wants me to start cooking tofu. :) I’m not a vegetarian, and he is not, but it is so great when he loves eating healthfully and we keep getting on the same page about food. I have fresh cherries too-so I better get those pitted and in the fridge! I’m going to try and replace the amazing grass with a little cocoa powder. Thanks for all you do to make your blog so fantastic, entertaining, and a great resource!

Tanya Kummerow July 23, 2010

Funny, because I just posted this the other day about how my tastebuds have completely changed. I used to hate things like mushrooms and beets and olives. Lately, it is all I can do to get enough of these veggies. I love your blog. You are such an inspiration.

Kathryn July 23, 2010

Eric has turned into a full blown hottie! He’s always been super cute but you can tell he has trimmed down and buffed up. WTG!

Kath July 23, 2010

Eric has been looking particularly hot lately!

So have your BSS creations!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 23, 2010

I made banana soft serve for my kids at summer camp today!! It was amazing how in love they all were, they wanted more!! Every one of them!!

I still haven’t tried the VOO, I suppose I should try since I love all your other recipes ;)

bianka July 22, 2010

you should have just titled this post “pictures to make bianka drool”. you have truly made me addicted, I eat them everyday now lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2010

Glad its not just me!

Mo July 22, 2010

That exchange about the pop was adorable. I am happy that Eric has kicked the habit – good for him!

Leah @ Why Deprive? July 22, 2010

My taste buds have definitely changed, but in a bit of a different way. I never used to like wine, and now I love it! Does that count? :)
Im a big overnight oats fan!! Eating it as a parfait with the banana soft serve is my new favorite way to eat them. Its a special weekend treat though because I just dont want to do the extra dishes during the week!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2010

haha yes that counts! I used to hate wine too!

Penny Lane July 22, 2010

That is soo cool that Eric doesn’t like the taste of Soda anymore. I quit drinking Soda a few years ago (I was a Diet Coke Addict) for health reasons. Every once in awhile I will have a craving for it or want caffiene and get a Diet Coke, but I take about 2 sips and throw it away. All I can taste in any Soda is the chemicals.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 22, 2010

My tastebuds have changed so much! I used to crave steak all the time, but now I barely want to eat meat anymore! Also I have cut out diet pop and although I don’t crave it, I still like it if I allow myself a can now and then.

As for overnight oats, I tried the regular kind and I was not a fan! Maybe I’ll have better luck with the vegan version. ;)

Leah July 22, 2010

I love VOO — I make mine with Apple juice, chia seeds and flaxseed

Many years ago I gave up coke and now I can’t stand the taste of it. I still occasionally drink pop, but not coke. I have NO interest in any colas… Great job, Eric!

As for other changes… As a young kid I would eat peanut butter, then about the age of 5-7 I couldn’t handle anything with a peanut butter flavour, and over the past few months I’ve come to enjoy it… I still wouldn’t eat it plain on anything, but mixed in something its great! Or even with jam on crackers.

Lisa (BBB) July 22, 2010

I really must try these VOO’s! I drool everytime I see yours!! :) So colourful and delish!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 22, 2010

Love th birthday VOO picture that Eric made you – so sweet! I am impressed that he no longer drinks pop. I would love to kick my Diet Coke habit but am having to take it slow.

Araba July 22, 2010

Congrats to Eric on his clean break- and forgive me for saying so, but you have one sexy husband!! Love this blog; this is my first official comment (and kind of a creepy one lol) but I have read, laughed, cried, and been so encouraged by your open and honest words. Thanks from the South (US)

Kathy July 22, 2010

This is my first day without soda and its so hard! That is awesome for Eric :) He gives me hope that I can do it too.

Jessica @ Rawtumn July 22, 2010

Awww so happy for Eric! Kicking the soda habit was one of my hardest, I still sometimes crave specific flavors. My taste buds are constantly changing but I do find that they can revert back pretty easily with certain things and completely out of nowhere.

zoe July 22, 2010

eric looks so great in that photo! congratulations on kicking the coke habit, eric! my tastes buds changed too when i gave up on soda drinks and i found myself craving the carbonation if anything. really though, i just crave water and fresh juices and smoothies now :) soda free for over a year! it’s so funny what your body starts to crave when you change your diet!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear July 22, 2010

Wow, that’s awesome news for Eric! I find it very interesting that tastebuds can change so fast!

Jo July 22, 2010

I am not surprised at all that he doesn’t like soda now that he has stopped drinking it for a few months. My experience was the same. I used to love the stuff, but since giving it up it seems gross to me. It is a very odd extreme but I understand your hubby’s reversal.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 22, 2010

Oh gosh my taste buds have changed a lot! Last year I loved, loved, loved meat. Now I don’t have the urge to eat it. My mom made BBQ chicken last night. I ate about 1/3 of it when I realized that I didn’t even like it so why was I eating it? Don’t worry, my mom was on a conference call and would have never known that I fixed an egg puff for my protein.

Meg July 22, 2010

I’m really lucky to have been brought up eating lots and lots of vegetables. I have a pretty big sweet tooth but when I don’t indulge everyday I don’t crave sweets nearly as much. When I do eat them, I appreciate them more!

I didn’t used to like fruit in my salads, but I’m warming up to the idea. I tried your beet salad and absolutely LOVE it! Right down to the coconut on top.

Lori July 22, 2010

Isn’t it AMAZING how quickly your tastebuds change (for the better) in such a short amount of time?! Congrats to you Eric! Don’t you feel better?? Once I started consuming green smoothies, green juices, and lots more… greens, my buds changes really fast and now, all desserts, unless raw, taste WAY too sweet. Things just don’t taste as good unless they’re homemade or contain REAL food- I like this way much better. ;)