Eat Pray Love

Good morning!

Last night Eric and I went out for Mexican food, stuffed ourselves silly on fajitas, and then headed to Chapters book store. Pretty much my dream night. I had gift cards to use and I bought Eat Pray Love and didn’t have to pay a dime.

IMG 3051 thumb   Eat Pray Love

My story with Eat Pray Love goes back a couple years. In 2008, I purchased the EPL audio book shortly after seeing Elizabeth Gilbert’s interview with Oprah.

I was going through a rough time in my life and this book really spoke to me. I felt like I knew Elizabeth and that I connected with her desire for self-discovery in some way. I thought having her voice in an audio book would comfort me during this tough time in my life and I planned on listening to the book during my commutes to and from work and school.

Ironically, not long after I downloaded the audio book onto my computer, my computer crashed and I lost everything, including the audio book. Life was busy and I just forgot about it assuming one day I would buy the book.

That day was yesterday!

I could not put this book down last night. Around midnight my eyes were drooping and I was literally falling asleep reading. I woke up with my head on Eric’s shoulder around 12:30am and I stumbled up to bed.

Sketchie also loves when I read because it means that I am actually in one spot more than 5 minutes at a time…

IMG 3048 thumb   Eat Pray Love

I love when he sleeps on me.  :biggrin:

I also love how Elizabeth organized the book in terms of a short story representing each japa mala. I love how the book is divided up by the three countries that she visited, each for a different purpose along her journey. It is quite brilliant actually. The book just exudes symmetry.

I was excited when I woke up this morning for a few reasons:

1) I had a solid 8 hours of sleep

2) Today is my day off

3) I have a book to read

4) The weather is gorgeous and sunny

5) I have new music for my run today (‘Over’ by Drake is a new fav)

IMG 3055 thumb   Eat Pray Love

I used up the rest of my beet greens and some new spinach for Green Monster energy!

I also threw in some raspberries, Almond Milk, raw maca powder, 1 tbsp homemade almond butter, and 1 frozen banana.

IMG 3056 thumb   Eat Pray Love

I had another situation on my hands…

IMG 3067 thumb   Eat Pray Love IMG 3061 thumb   Eat Pray Love

I had some Green Monster spillage as I juggled my GM and SLR camera while freaking out about walking through a HUGE cobweb. Story of my life.

IMG 3057 thumb   Eat Pray Love

It was good though.

I wanted to share with you a quote from Eat Pray Love that I think is really powerful:

“For years, I’d wished I could speak Italian- a language I find more beautiful than roses- but I could never make the practical justification for studying it…What was I going to do with Italian? It’s not like I was going to move there. It would be more practical to learn how to play the accordion.

But why must everything have a practical application? I’d been such a diligent soldier for years- working, producing, never missing a deadline, etc. Is this lifetime supposed to be only about duty?…It’s not like I was saying at age 32, ‘I want to become the principal ballerina for the NYC ballet.” Studying a language is something you can actually do. So I signed up for classes at one of those continuing education places. My friends thought this was hilarious…But I loved it.”

This got me thinking a lot about my life, Eric’s, and whether there were things that we wanted to do, but didn’t think there was a practical application for. Eric is currently struggling with some decisions in his own life (that I can’t get into, but probably will some day in the future) and I know there are many things that he wants right now, but he doesn’t think they are practical to actually do. This makes me very sad to think about. Why must we live our lives ‘by the book’ or doing what others expect of us? As Elizabeth mentioned in the quote above, why must everything have a practical purpose? Can’t we just listen to our hearts sometimes?

So I ask you today…What are the things you want to do but you aren’t sure they have a practical purpose?

One of the things that we desperately want to do at this stage in our lives is travel. We always said that our free time in our late twenties would be spent traveling together, but so far we have not found a practical purpose (or free time) to try to put this goal into action.

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 18, 2010

That book sounds powerful -I’ve been wanting to read it for a while; I think I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and buy it!
There’s so much I want to do…travel, have my own cafe, write, blog, ride…I think all of it has a purpose though..I don’t know- that’s such a tricky question! I just want to be happy and healthy, that’s it!

Annie July 18, 2010

I’m so excited for the film to come out! I’ve read it twice and it is next on my list again. I have so much underlined in Eat, Pray, Love that I turn back to from time to time.
I would love to get more into photography but have been told it isn’t practical a dozen time. It makes me so happy to take pictures, I have friends and family who would love to be my “models”, and now I’m saving up for the camera to do it!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 18, 2010

I wish we could just listen to our hearts for everything. While not always possible, I think we should all try to do it a little more, and toss practicality to the wind on occasion!

I really wanted to a do a lot of traveling with my husband before we had kids and “obligations”, but I’m realizing more and more that just isn’t going to happen. But maybe a compromise is a weekend away ;) haha.

Coley July 18, 2010

Going back to school! I want to be a nutrition researcher, but I at least need my Ph.D to do this. At this point, I don’t want to do more than my M.S., so I’ve been told that it doesn’t make sense to go back at all. My passion is learning and I can’t think of anything else I would rather do with my life right now. So, I’m going ahead and applying for school and am going to pursue my dreams with an M.S. degree. No matter how “unlikely” it is, its not impossible! Even if nothing comes of it, I want to go back.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 18, 2010

I want to move someplace remote (like Montana). I want to be somewhere where there aren’t airplanes flying overhead all the time, horns honking and sirens blaring. To be able to sit on my front porch (and to have a front porch) and hear nothing but nature. This is entirely impractical, because my and my fiance’s careers. We depend on them obviously and unfortunately they mean living in a city.

Camille July 18, 2010

Okay, now I am really worried because I can’t find my copy of Eat, Pray, Love! Oh no!
I absolutely love Celtic History. Weird maybe, but I love it all the same. I have said many times that I would love to move to Ireland so I can get a degree as a Celtic historian but people seem to think it has no appilcations so it isn’t worth my time or money.
Luckily as far as my education goes, I have a second love (Nutrition) that is more “applicable”. Someday i do plan to get a degree in Celtic History though.

Therese July 18, 2010

I LOVE this book! My copy is looking pretty worn. I think I’ve read it half a dozen times. One of my (many) favorite quotes from the book is this:

*Of course, we all inevitably work too hard, then we get burned out and have to spend the whole weekend in our pajamas, eating cereal straight out of the box and staring at the TV in a mild coma (which is the opposite of working, yes, but not exactly the same thing as pleasure).*
-Elizabeth Gilbert

Looks like you’re filling your day off with actual pleasures. Good for you!

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 18, 2010

LOVE that quote! So true!!

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

YESS!!! I underlined this quote today!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 18, 2010

Its this quite alone, that made me just add Eat Pray Love to my Kindle. Love, love love it.

Therese July 18, 2010

You will not regret your purchase! I just dug my copy out again. So many pages are dog-eared and highlighted :o)

Sarah July 18, 2010

I’m in my late 20s too – I don’t know if you ever plan to have children, but I really regret that I didn’t travel more before having my son. I’ll never regret having him but I always wanted to save more money, find the right time, etc… & now I wish I would have just traveled where I wanted to go and had the experiences I wanted to have pre-baby (because once you have one, it’s a lot harder to travel anywhere!!)
I say do it now- no matter how impractical it seems- if it’s your passion I doubt very highly you will regret it!

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate your honesty!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 18, 2010

Such a great post! I’m reading that book right now and I also feel like I can relate, as I’m going through a rough time in my life myself. It IS so silly that everything we do has to have a practical purpose. Life is too short to NOT follow your heart and just go for what you want.

Katie Cooper July 18, 2010

I just started the book yesterday and agree with you that there are things our hearts desire that sometimes we don’t feel that they are purposeful. But, the book is making me think that our life is a practical purpose..thus we should live it to the fullest. If that is not a good enough reason to set forth and go, then I don’t know what could be. Too often we are held back by obligations..what if for once, we shed our responsibilities and felt free?

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

love your quote here “But, the book is making me think that our life is a practical purpose..thus we should live it to the fullest” Very insightful!

lindsay (goodiesgalore) July 18, 2010

For me its about money or leaving things behind. I’ve ALWAYS wanted to live/teach in a third world country but at this point in my life I could never imagine leaving my boyfriend and dog behind. I want to be a singer. I can sing, but would definitely need voice lessons. I could never justify spending money and energy into something that will only benefit me. Traveling…… how I would love to go a billion places but with all my school debt it just won’t happen. As we get older, it feels harder and harder to do these wonderful things.

lizzie July 19, 2010

Maybe your singing could take you somewhere? It’s never a waste to invest in yourself if it brightens the lives of those around you, but especially yourself. You’re 50% of the way there anyway in acknowledging that you can sing!! :)

amyroo July 20, 2010

It sounds to me like you already have the tools that you need, but just have to get in the mindset to use them. I agree with lizzie – invest in yourself, and see where that investment takes you!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 18, 2010

I want to learn to speak another language, preferably French. I don’t really need it but I always feel like it would be great to be able to communicate in my country’s other official language. I also want to take photography lessons. Again, purely as a hobby but also as something I really enjoy and that would make me happy!!

Megan July 18, 2010

Eat Pray Love is SUCH a beautiful book. I’m so glad you’re enjoying it! And this: “Why must we live our lives ‘by the book’ or doing what others expect of us?” is so true. Definitely something to think about!

Lana July 18, 2010

I was actually in the Barnes and Noble yesterday and this book caught my eye. I didn’t buy it, but after your review I think I’m at a point in my life that I definitely need to read it. I have one year left of engineering undergrad but realized my true passion is nutrition. I find that I am not happy at school. I took my first nutrition class this past semester and loved it. Things just seem to fall into place when you allow yourself to take part in what you are truly passionate about. I am about to make a 3 day road trip back to school and Eat Pray Love (on cd) is being shipped from Amazon as we speak. Thanks so much for the book review!!!

Enjoy the book!

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini July 18, 2010

I’m not entirely sure I’ve ever done anything for a practical purpose! I have never used either my degree or my Masters in any of my jobs. I guess my yoga teacher training earns me a bit of money but yoga teaching isn’t exactly a hugely profitable profession. I’m a great believer in doing the things you love :)

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

haha I love your honesty here, thank you. I admire your strength to do what you love!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope July 19, 2010

One of the things I’ve wanted to do for awhile now is become a yoga instructor. The cost for most programs is about $2,000 as you know, which I don’t just have lying around since any extra money goes into my budding emergency fund. As an RN who hopes of going back to school next year for my master’s, I just tell myself I “can’t” and that it is “pointless” because it isn’t like it will add to my income much (more like take away from it, the starting cost), but damnit, I think it WOULD add to my life!! Now, if only I could find $2,000 and not feel guilty for spending it:)

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini July 20, 2010

Training to be a yoga instructor is reward in itself and I joke about it not paying much but it has certainly paid for itself several times over! However when I did mine I paid in smaller installments. I trained in the UK where our training takes a lot longer (2-3 years) and is even more expensive!

I do think if you want to do something and it is right for you the opportunity will present itself, so keep your eyes open for affordable payment methods and they will come.

Much love and oms to you!

Katie July 18, 2010

I have always wanted to get an RV or something and travel across the US. No real purpose other then I want to. There is so much in my life I wish I could accomplish. I am reading this now and I am relating to so much of the book. Fearful of relationships, recovering from emotional trauma (for me in the middle of a bad relapse of anorexia) and needing to find some inner peace and something to believe in again. This book is a GREAT book and I can’t wait to finish it.

I also love the part about soul mates not sure if you’ve got that far, but it says that some people are in your life to help you grow and they were your soul mates but for only a short while.

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

I wish you strength in your recovery to get over your relapse. Glad you enjoy the book, I wish I read it sooner. I think I will be finished very soon though, lol. And then eagerly awaiting seeing the movie!

Katie July 18, 2010

Can’t wait for the movie! Somedays I feel like I’m doing great, but I do know that I’m trying to put people back in my life and going out again is frightening I can’t quite get over that.

I just finished it this afternoon in the pool. It is definitely enlightening makes me want to go to India.

Sue July 18, 2010

My advice, from a 60 year old perspective, is find a way to make your travel dreams possible, even if it’s only for a short time, and do it NOW while you are young and healthy and have no kids. You found a way to get off the treadmill of working for someone else and started your own business, and without a doubt you can find a way to make traveling possible. Think outside the box, talk to each other about the “what ifs” and see what happens. Here it is in a nutshell:
“…God pity them both! and pity us all,
Who vainly the dreams of youth recall;
For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these: “It might have been!”

Wow…just fabulous, the entire comment! Thank you Sue

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 18, 2010

I agree with travel too. We want to travel before we have kids, but it just doesn’t seem practical right now!

Exercise and Eat July 18, 2010

I want to teach for Class Afloat (www.classafloat.com), cage dive with great whites, take the Trans-Siberian railroad across Russia… a lot of people think this is crazy because it isn’t the norm. I still struggle with what I should do, but I know that at the ned of the day living a life for me is (obviously) so much more important than for anyone else.

Wei-Wei July 18, 2010

I recently bought EPL, too. I haven’t started reading it yet, but I’ve seen a lot of good review about it, like this one! But maybe I can’t relate as well because I’m not as old? But self-discovery… man that’s a big one. Self discovery is so important after recovery from an ED, no kidding.

I want to become a graphic designer and design ads, posters or campaigns for little indie companies. But that career path is hard :( I’d also like to be a therapist!

Wei-Wei

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

I really agree with what you said about self discover after an ED is so important. I didnt know who I was for years so I can relate to that a lot.

Jes (Self Motivation) July 18, 2010

I saw the preview for the movie Eat, Pray, Love a few weeks ago and decided I really wanted to read the book. I am currently reading it, and I find it to be very insightful. I definitely believe we should all follow our dreams and our hearts and stay true to our inner voice. I think you will find time to travel. After thinking about it, I’d like to find time to travel after I have kids as well. I think showing them different places in the world would probably make the experience even more exciting for me.

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 18, 2010

Great post. I think about this kind of thing pretty often, especially in regards to women. There are so many expectations in mainstream society about what we should be doing and when. We are expected to ‘do it all’, in general, meaning have a family a career, and beauty. I got married young (22), but don’t want to have kids for awhile. I want to travel, as well, and open my own bakery that gives back to the community and the world.

tj July 18, 2010

I loved that book….loved it so much that when I saw that I was getting close to the end I put it down and walked away from it for a month…reflecting back to it, and upon my own life. A couple of years ago my life changed and I had no control of it- and I feel like I needed to read that book to figure things out. :)

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Thank you for sharing…aren’t books like that the best? I love when I leave a page and set the book down and think about the words for the rest of the day.

Danielle July 18, 2010

I love this question! I think I am going to spend today thinking about it. Thanks for the challenge :)

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 18, 2010

I’d love to be part of something like a high school band again – I miss my saxophone and the feeling of being part of the music! I don’t even know if such a thing exists for adults though… If I ever do find something, I’ll be joining in a heartbeat! I agree with Elizabeth Gilbert: we all need to do things “just because” — if only to bring ourselves joy. I really do believe that making our hearts sing IS a practical application!

I can’t wait to go back and read what everyone else wrote and get inspired! :D

Grace July 19, 2010

Just to let you know, there are community bands (and orchestras and choirs…) all over the place. You might try looking around at a local university or in community education listings.

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 19, 2010

Oohh! I’ll look into that! Thanks Grace!!

Ameena July 18, 2010

I really wanted to like this book…I SO wanted to. In addition to other things my main problem with this book was basically that the author was given a big advance to write it. If I was given an advance of course I would manage to find self-awareness throughout the world. I mean, how objective was she really?

I’m probably jaded though so forgive me!

I want to do so many things careerwise but I have trouble reconciling the pay cut I’d likely have to take. Plus with a 5-year-old the hours I’d have to put in to become successful aren’t really possible right now. One day!!

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

I can see your point…I really can. I think with any type of book like this you have to take what the author recounts with a grain of salt, however regardless of whether I know the exact truth to her experience I find that it inspires my own thoughts about life and I appreciate that a lot!

Danielle (Runs on Green) July 18, 2010

I love that passage & it’s so true. One thing I’ve always wanted to do was learn how to sew & make my own clothes. That actually has a useful application but it doesn’t seem like someting important enough to dedicate time/money to when there’s a plateful of other things that need to be done first. One day, though :)

Laura July 18, 2010

Hi Ang,

I’ve followed you for about 4 months now, as a fellow twenty-something Torontonian trying to find balance in my life. I just wanted to let you know that as a result of your blog, I’ve made small changes in my day-to-days that have made a noticeably positive difference (Green Monsters, tackling a Sprint Triathlon and most recently, going vegetarian – soon to be vegan). I really look forward to my mornings with you!

I had meant to write you last week and suggest that you read Eat Pray Love – having just read it. It was inspiring, emotional and initiated a lot of self reflection. I hope you love it as much as I did! I’m reading the follow up to the book now – I also highly recommend it!

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Aww thank you so much for your comment..that made me smile =) I was wondering about her folow up book too…what is it called? I am sure I will be buying it soon ;)

Becki July 19, 2010

Not sure if anyone has followed up to this comment at all, but the next book is called Committed. I just bought it yesterday and it is almost as insightful as the first one so far.
I love how real she just let’s the reader in to her life and her outlook.

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 19, 2010

I just read Committed not too long ago. It’s not quite as adventurous or as funny (although she’s still got that lovable style of writing) as EPL. It’s a lot about the history of marriage and her own take on it as her view of it evolves. She makes it interesting though, especially if you read it all the way to the end. I enjoyed both book for different reasons.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Awesome thanks, I will def. be picking it up!

Emily @ Beyond The TextBook July 18, 2010

I love this book and cannot wait to see the movie! I’m so glad you’re reading it too; you will not be able to put it down! :)

Heather July 18, 2010

I have read the book many times and I feel it really promoted a lot of self reflection (something I rarely did before). I have such a huge desire for travelling and seeing the world and reading this book has only brought that out more and helped me to realize other passions I have in my life as well. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

I agree that it has made me self reflect more too. I find when I get busy I get caught up in day to day things and I dont think about the bigger picture, you know? This book is great for that!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 18, 2010

It must be s sign. I just finished a book on Friday and I was asking some friends for suggestions on what to read, and guess what they suggested Eat, pray, love. And then here you are today reading it. I guess it’s calling my name.

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Yes, you should pick it up…then we can chat about it! :)

Ana July 18, 2010

I LOVE that book!!
Ana

Kiersten July 18, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love is such a good book. I feel like I learned a lot from it too. I completely agree that we should be able to do what we really want, not just what is the most practical. Sometimes it is easier said than done though.

Leah @ L4L July 18, 2010

I took a 6 week trip to India one summer during college. Everyone asked me why and I would respond, “For fun!” People didn’t get it. They assumed the only reason one would go to India would be to study, do charity work, or something related. Nope! We went and toured and partied like it was 1999!

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

hahah this is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 18, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love is absolutely fantastic. I loved it so much. I really want to take cooking lessons and become better in the kitchen. I mean yes, eventually those skills might be good if I feed my future family, but I’m an architecture major. I should be focusing that. I’m trying to get very high grades so that I can go to any school for my masters.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 18, 2010

This book will change your life.

My best friend and I both read it while we were traveling through Italy together for 2 weeks this past February. It gave us so much “food for thought.” And still, months later, we are beginning to implement changes in our life that were inspired by the book.

Enjoy :)

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Wow that would be amazing to read it while on a trip like that doubly so!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut July 18, 2010

I love the book. It’s actually one of the few books that I’ve read several times and each time that I’ve read it, the words on the pages changes meaning and it’s different for me. It gets better each time I re-read it. I believe it’s because the 1st time I read it a few years ago, I was in a different phase in my life. Reading it again now, it will mean differently as it applies to your life. Hope that makes sense.

I’ve always loved to travel and make time to do it. It also helps to save for travel plans and stay within your budget. I loved traveling knowing I’ve saved up for it and that there will be no surprise expenses on my credit card charges after we get home.

Michal July 18, 2010

I want to read this book, but I’m waiting because it might be on my Book Club list.
The thing I want that I’ve held back on for years isn’t as much about it not having practical application so much as…. I’ve grown up being urged away from it because it’s “impractical,” and so I hesitate to jump in and try without a clear cut plan for doing so. I’ve wanted to do some kind of work where I really feel like I’m inspiring youth to be an active part of global change. I love teaching (I teach in museums), but finding the right program opportunity or MAKING the right program opportunity seems to be elusive. So I keep searching and dreaming and hoping that I just need to make it to the next step in my career and then I’ll be able to…. I think that my close friends have grown tired of hearing me dream without doing, and so they’ve stopped being supportive or encouraging or really involved at all. I understand that, but I miss getting their feedback on my ideas.

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Thanks for sharing, I hope you can make it a reality :)

Jen July 18, 2010

This is a little different than most ideas, and maybe not quite what you meant, but I have wanted a dog for years now, but it’s so not practical now that I really can’t justify it. I grew up on a farm, and always had tons of animals around me and they bring me so much joy and love into my life. But being a student (now grad student), renter, frequent traveler, and currently living abroad, it’s just never seemed like a good time. But I want one soooo badly! I CRAVE having a dog to snuggle and jog with and give kisses to and play in the park with. I’ve always had a plan, like “I’ll get one when…” and then something always comes up to offset that. I guess it’s kind of like having a kid that way?

Jillian July 20, 2010

I was the same way and I work at an animal shelter! I had rationalized that I didn’t have time or energy to have a dog… My boyfriend didn’t want a dog in the house, he hates the shedding and the mess… But, along came a little deaf puppy who stole my heart. Things fell into place, I got to take him home for a night and honestly thought he would leave the next day… Well, my boyfriend said if I wanted to keep him I could. It was honestly a huge turning point in my life, getting my little boy helped me make other decisions to better my life… I’ve taken up running (with my dog), which lead to eating better, which lead to re-doing our oh so 70′s kitchen.

It may not seem practical to have a dog right now, but it might be the best thing you do… You will change your life to make room/time for the dog.

Crystal July 18, 2010

Love that quote from the book! Similarly, I want to learn French and one day be fluent in it. Because I haven’t been able to think of a practical application for it, I haven’t bothered with trying. This has definitely inspired me, though!

Page 1 of 41234»