Eat Pray Love

Good morning!

Last night Eric and I went out for Mexican food, stuffed ourselves silly on fajitas, and then headed to Chapters book store. Pretty much my dream night. I had gift cards to use and I bought Eat Pray Love and didn’t have to pay a dime.

IMG_3051

My story with Eat Pray Love goes back a couple years. In 2008, I purchased the EPL audio book shortly after seeing Elizabeth Gilbert’s interview with Oprah.

I was going through a rough time in my life and this book really spoke to me. I felt like I knew Elizabeth and that I connected with her desire for self-discovery in some way. I thought having her voice in an audio book would comfort me during this tough time in my life and I planned on listening to the book during my commutes to and from work and school.

Ironically, not long after I downloaded the audio book onto my computer, my computer crashed and I lost everything, including the audio book. Life was busy and I just forgot about it assuming one day I would buy the book.

That day was yesterday!

I could not put this book down last night. Around midnight my eyes were drooping and I was literally falling asleep reading. I woke up with my head on Eric’s shoulder around 12:30am and I stumbled up to bed.

Sketchie also loves when I read because it means that I am actually in one spot more than 5 minutes at a time…

IMG_3048

I love when he sleeps on me.  :biggrin:

I also love how Elizabeth organized the book in terms of a short story representing each japa mala. I love how the book is divided up by the three countries that she visited, each for a different purpose along her journey. It is quite brilliant actually. The book just exudes symmetry.

I was excited when I woke up this morning for a few reasons:

1) I had a solid 8 hours of sleep

2) Today is my day off

3) I have a book to read

4) The weather is gorgeous and sunny

5) I have new music for my run today (‘Over’ by Drake is a new fav)

IMG_3055

I used up the rest of my beet greens and some new spinach for Green Monster energy!

I also threw in some raspberries, Almond Milk, raw maca powder, 1 tbsp homemade almond butter, and 1 frozen banana.

IMG_3056

I had another situation on my hands…

IMG_3067 IMG_3061

I had some Green Monster spillage as I juggled my GM and SLR camera while freaking out about walking through a HUGE cobweb. Story of my life.

IMG_3057

It was good though.

I wanted to share with you a quote from Eat Pray Love that I think is really powerful:

“For years, I’d wished I could speak Italian- a language I find more beautiful than roses- but I could never make the practical justification for studying it…What was I going to do with Italian? It’s not like I was going to move there. It would be more practical to learn how to play the accordion.

But why must everything have a practical application? I’d been such a diligent soldier for years- working, producing, never missing a deadline, etc. Is this lifetime supposed to be only about duty?…It’s not like I was saying at age 32, ‘I want to become the principal ballerina for the NYC ballet.” Studying a language is something you can actually do. So I signed up for classes at one of those continuing education places. My friends thought this was hilarious…But I loved it.”

This got me thinking a lot about my life, Eric’s, and whether there were things that we wanted to do, but didn’t think there was a practical application for. Eric is currently struggling with some decisions in his own life (that I can’t get into, but probably will some day in the future) and I know there are many things that he wants right now, but he doesn’t think they are practical to actually do. This makes me very sad to think about. Why must we live our lives ‘by the book’ or doing what others expect of us? As Elizabeth mentioned in the quote above, why must everything have a practical purpose? Can’t we just listen to our hearts sometimes?

So I ask you today…What are the things you want to do but you aren’t sure they have a practical purpose?

One of the things that we desperately want to do at this stage in our lives is travel. We always said that our free time in our late twenties would be spent traveling together, but so far we have not found a practical purpose (or free time) to try to put this goal into action.

1 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 18, 2010

That book sounds powerful -I’ve been wanting to read it for a while; I think I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and buy it!
There’s so much I want to do…travel, have my own cafe, write, blog, ride…I think all of it has a purpose though..I don’t know- that’s such a tricky question! I just want to be happy and healthy, that’s it!

2 Annie July 18, 2010

I’m so excited for the film to come out! I’ve read it twice and it is next on my list again. I have so much underlined in Eat, Pray, Love that I turn back to from time to time.
I would love to get more into photography but have been told it isn’t practical a dozen time. It makes me so happy to take pictures, I have friends and family who would love to be my “models”, and now I’m saving up for the camera to do it!

3 Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 18, 2010

I wish we could just listen to our hearts for everything. While not always possible, I think we should all try to do it a little more, and toss practicality to the wind on occasion!

I really wanted to a do a lot of traveling with my husband before we had kids and “obligations”, but I’m realizing more and more that just isn’t going to happen. But maybe a compromise is a weekend away ;) haha.

4 Coley July 18, 2010

Going back to school! I want to be a nutrition researcher, but I at least need my Ph.D to do this. At this point, I don’t want to do more than my M.S., so I’ve been told that it doesn’t make sense to go back at all. My passion is learning and I can’t think of anything else I would rather do with my life right now. So, I’m going ahead and applying for school and am going to pursue my dreams with an M.S. degree. No matter how “unlikely” it is, its not impossible! Even if nothing comes of it, I want to go back.

5 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 18, 2010

I want to move someplace remote (like Montana). I want to be somewhere where there aren’t airplanes flying overhead all the time, horns honking and sirens blaring. To be able to sit on my front porch (and to have a front porch) and hear nothing but nature. This is entirely impractical, because my and my fiance’s careers. We depend on them obviously and unfortunately they mean living in a city.

6 Camille July 18, 2010

Okay, now I am really worried because I can’t find my copy of Eat, Pray, Love! Oh no!
I absolutely love Celtic History. Weird maybe, but I love it all the same. I have said many times that I would love to move to Ireland so I can get a degree as a Celtic historian but people seem to think it has no appilcations so it isn’t worth my time or money.
Luckily as far as my education goes, I have a second love (Nutrition) that is more “applicable”. Someday i do plan to get a degree in Celtic History though.

7 Therese July 18, 2010

I LOVE this book! My copy is looking pretty worn. I think I’ve read it half a dozen times. One of my (many) favorite quotes from the book is this:

*Of course, we all inevitably work too hard, then we get burned out and have to spend the whole weekend in our pajamas, eating cereal straight out of the box and staring at the TV in a mild coma (which is the opposite of working, yes, but not exactly the same thing as pleasure).*
-Elizabeth Gilbert

Looks like you’re filling your day off with actual pleasures. Good for you!

8 Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 18, 2010

LOVE that quote! So true!!

9 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

YESS!!! I underlined this quote today!

10 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 18, 2010

Its this quite alone, that made me just add Eat Pray Love to my Kindle. Love, love love it.

11 Therese July 18, 2010

You will not regret your purchase! I just dug my copy out again. So many pages are dog-eared and highlighted :o)

12 Sarah July 18, 2010

I’m in my late 20s too – I don’t know if you ever plan to have children, but I really regret that I didn’t travel more before having my son. I’ll never regret having him but I always wanted to save more money, find the right time, etc… & now I wish I would have just traveled where I wanted to go and had the experiences I wanted to have pre-baby (because once you have one, it’s a lot harder to travel anywhere!!)
I say do it now- no matter how impractical it seems- if it’s your passion I doubt very highly you will regret it!

13 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate your honesty!

14 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 18, 2010

Such a great post! I’m reading that book right now and I also feel like I can relate, as I’m going through a rough time in my life myself. It IS so silly that everything we do has to have a practical purpose. Life is too short to NOT follow your heart and just go for what you want.

15 Katie Cooper July 18, 2010

I just started the book yesterday and agree with you that there are things our hearts desire that sometimes we don’t feel that they are purposeful. But, the book is making me think that our life is a practical purpose..thus we should live it to the fullest. If that is not a good enough reason to set forth and go, then I don’t know what could be. Too often we are held back by obligations..what if for once, we shed our responsibilities and felt free?

16 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

love your quote here “But, the book is making me think that our life is a practical purpose..thus we should live it to the fullest” Very insightful!

17 lindsay (goodiesgalore) July 18, 2010

For me its about money or leaving things behind. I’ve ALWAYS wanted to live/teach in a third world country but at this point in my life I could never imagine leaving my boyfriend and dog behind. I want to be a singer. I can sing, but would definitely need voice lessons. I could never justify spending money and energy into something that will only benefit me. Traveling…… how I would love to go a billion places but with all my school debt it just won’t happen. As we get older, it feels harder and harder to do these wonderful things.

18 lizzie July 19, 2010

Maybe your singing could take you somewhere? It’s never a waste to invest in yourself if it brightens the lives of those around you, but especially yourself. You’re 50% of the way there anyway in acknowledging that you can sing!! :)

19 amyroo July 20, 2010

It sounds to me like you already have the tools that you need, but just have to get in the mindset to use them. I agree with lizzie – invest in yourself, and see where that investment takes you!

20 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 18, 2010

I want to learn to speak another language, preferably French. I don’t really need it but I always feel like it would be great to be able to communicate in my country’s other official language. I also want to take photography lessons. Again, purely as a hobby but also as something I really enjoy and that would make me happy!!

21 Megan July 18, 2010

Eat Pray Love is SUCH a beautiful book. I’m so glad you’re enjoying it! And this: “Why must we live our lives ‘by the book’ or doing what others expect of us?” is so true. Definitely something to think about!

22 Lana July 18, 2010

I was actually in the Barnes and Noble yesterday and this book caught my eye. I didn’t buy it, but after your review I think I’m at a point in my life that I definitely need to read it. I have one year left of engineering undergrad but realized my true passion is nutrition. I find that I am not happy at school. I took my first nutrition class this past semester and loved it. Things just seem to fall into place when you allow yourself to take part in what you are truly passionate about. I am about to make a 3 day road trip back to school and Eat Pray Love (on cd) is being shipped from Amazon as we speak. Thanks so much for the book review!!!

23 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Enjoy the book!

24 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini July 18, 2010

I’m not entirely sure I’ve ever done anything for a practical purpose! I have never used either my degree or my Masters in any of my jobs. I guess my yoga teacher training earns me a bit of money but yoga teaching isn’t exactly a hugely profitable profession. I’m a great believer in doing the things you love :)

25 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

haha I love your honesty here, thank you. I admire your strength to do what you love!

26 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope July 19, 2010

One of the things I’ve wanted to do for awhile now is become a yoga instructor. The cost for most programs is about $2,000 as you know, which I don’t just have lying around since any extra money goes into my budding emergency fund. As an RN who hopes of going back to school next year for my master’s, I just tell myself I “can’t” and that it is “pointless” because it isn’t like it will add to my income much (more like take away from it, the starting cost), but damnit, I think it WOULD add to my life!! Now, if only I could find $2,000 and not feel guilty for spending it:)

27 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini July 20, 2010

Training to be a yoga instructor is reward in itself and I joke about it not paying much but it has certainly paid for itself several times over! However when I did mine I paid in smaller installments. I trained in the UK where our training takes a lot longer (2-3 years) and is even more expensive!

I do think if you want to do something and it is right for you the opportunity will present itself, so keep your eyes open for affordable payment methods and they will come.

Much love and oms to you!

28 Katie July 18, 2010

I have always wanted to get an RV or something and travel across the US. No real purpose other then I want to. There is so much in my life I wish I could accomplish. I am reading this now and I am relating to so much of the book. Fearful of relationships, recovering from emotional trauma (for me in the middle of a bad relapse of anorexia) and needing to find some inner peace and something to believe in again. This book is a GREAT book and I can’t wait to finish it.

I also love the part about soul mates not sure if you’ve got that far, but it says that some people are in your life to help you grow and they were your soul mates but for only a short while.

29 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

I wish you strength in your recovery to get over your relapse. Glad you enjoy the book, I wish I read it sooner. I think I will be finished very soon though, lol. And then eagerly awaiting seeing the movie!

30 Katie July 18, 2010

Can’t wait for the movie! Somedays I feel like I’m doing great, but I do know that I’m trying to put people back in my life and going out again is frightening I can’t quite get over that.

I just finished it this afternoon in the pool. It is definitely enlightening makes me want to go to India.

31 Sue July 18, 2010

My advice, from a 60 year old perspective, is find a way to make your travel dreams possible, even if it’s only for a short time, and do it NOW while you are young and healthy and have no kids. You found a way to get off the treadmill of working for someone else and started your own business, and without a doubt you can find a way to make traveling possible. Think outside the box, talk to each other about the “what ifs” and see what happens. Here it is in a nutshell:
“…God pity them both! and pity us all,
Who vainly the dreams of youth recall;
For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these: “It might have been!”

32 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Wow…just fabulous, the entire comment! Thank you Sue

33 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 18, 2010

I agree with travel too. We want to travel before we have kids, but it just doesn’t seem practical right now!

34 Exercise and Eat July 18, 2010

I want to teach for Class Afloat (www.classafloat.com), cage dive with great whites, take the Trans-Siberian railroad across Russia… a lot of people think this is crazy because it isn’t the norm. I still struggle with what I should do, but I know that at the ned of the day living a life for me is (obviously) so much more important than for anyone else.

35 Wei-Wei July 18, 2010

I recently bought EPL, too. I haven’t started reading it yet, but I’ve seen a lot of good review about it, like this one! But maybe I can’t relate as well because I’m not as old? But self-discovery… man that’s a big one. Self discovery is so important after recovery from an ED, no kidding.

I want to become a graphic designer and design ads, posters or campaigns for little indie companies. But that career path is hard :( I’d also like to be a therapist!

Wei-Wei

36 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

I really agree with what you said about self discover after an ED is so important. I didnt know who I was for years so I can relate to that a lot.

37 Jes (Self Motivation) July 18, 2010

I saw the preview for the movie Eat, Pray, Love a few weeks ago and decided I really wanted to read the book. I am currently reading it, and I find it to be very insightful. I definitely believe we should all follow our dreams and our hearts and stay true to our inner voice. I think you will find time to travel. After thinking about it, I’d like to find time to travel after I have kids as well. I think showing them different places in the world would probably make the experience even more exciting for me.

38 Annie@stronghealthyfit July 18, 2010

Great post. I think about this kind of thing pretty often, especially in regards to women. There are so many expectations in mainstream society about what we should be doing and when. We are expected to ‘do it all’, in general, meaning have a family a career, and beauty. I got married young (22), but don’t want to have kids for awhile. I want to travel, as well, and open my own bakery that gives back to the community and the world.

39 tj July 18, 2010

I loved that book….loved it so much that when I saw that I was getting close to the end I put it down and walked away from it for a month…reflecting back to it, and upon my own life. A couple of years ago my life changed and I had no control of it- and I feel like I needed to read that book to figure things out. :)

40 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Thank you for sharing…aren’t books like that the best? I love when I leave a page and set the book down and think about the words for the rest of the day.

41 Danielle July 18, 2010

I love this question! I think I am going to spend today thinking about it. Thanks for the challenge :)

42 Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 18, 2010

I’d love to be part of something like a high school band again – I miss my saxophone and the feeling of being part of the music! I don’t even know if such a thing exists for adults though… If I ever do find something, I’ll be joining in a heartbeat! I agree with Elizabeth Gilbert: we all need to do things “just because” — if only to bring ourselves joy. I really do believe that making our hearts sing IS a practical application!

I can’t wait to go back and read what everyone else wrote and get inspired! :D

43 Grace July 19, 2010

Just to let you know, there are community bands (and orchestras and choirs…) all over the place. You might try looking around at a local university or in community education listings.

44 Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 19, 2010

Oohh! I’ll look into that! Thanks Grace!!

45 Ameena July 18, 2010

I really wanted to like this book…I SO wanted to. In addition to other things my main problem with this book was basically that the author was given a big advance to write it. If I was given an advance of course I would manage to find self-awareness throughout the world. I mean, how objective was she really?

I’m probably jaded though so forgive me!

I want to do so many things careerwise but I have trouble reconciling the pay cut I’d likely have to take. Plus with a 5-year-old the hours I’d have to put in to become successful aren’t really possible right now. One day!!

46 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

I can see your point…I really can. I think with any type of book like this you have to take what the author recounts with a grain of salt, however regardless of whether I know the exact truth to her experience I find that it inspires my own thoughts about life and I appreciate that a lot!

47 Danielle (Runs on Green) July 18, 2010

I love that passage & it’s so true. One thing I’ve always wanted to do was learn how to sew & make my own clothes. That actually has a useful application but it doesn’t seem like someting important enough to dedicate time/money to when there’s a plateful of other things that need to be done first. One day, though :)

48 Laura July 18, 2010

Hi Ang,

I’ve followed you for about 4 months now, as a fellow twenty-something Torontonian trying to find balance in my life. I just wanted to let you know that as a result of your blog, I’ve made small changes in my day-to-days that have made a noticeably positive difference (Green Monsters, tackling a Sprint Triathlon and most recently, going vegetarian – soon to be vegan). I really look forward to my mornings with you!

I had meant to write you last week and suggest that you read Eat Pray Love – having just read it. It was inspiring, emotional and initiated a lot of self reflection. I hope you love it as much as I did! I’m reading the follow up to the book now – I also highly recommend it!

49 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Aww thank you so much for your comment..that made me smile =) I was wondering about her folow up book too…what is it called? I am sure I will be buying it soon ;)

50 Becki July 19, 2010

Not sure if anyone has followed up to this comment at all, but the next book is called Committed. I just bought it yesterday and it is almost as insightful as the first one so far.
I love how real she just let’s the reader in to her life and her outlook.

51 Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 19, 2010

I just read Committed not too long ago. It’s not quite as adventurous or as funny (although she’s still got that lovable style of writing) as EPL. It’s a lot about the history of marriage and her own take on it as her view of it evolves. She makes it interesting though, especially if you read it all the way to the end. I enjoyed both book for different reasons.

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Awesome thanks, I will def. be picking it up!

53 Emily @ Beyond The TextBook July 18, 2010

I love this book and cannot wait to see the movie! I’m so glad you’re reading it too; you will not be able to put it down! :)

54 Heather July 18, 2010

I have read the book many times and I feel it really promoted a lot of self reflection (something I rarely did before). I have such a huge desire for travelling and seeing the world and reading this book has only brought that out more and helped me to realize other passions I have in my life as well. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

55 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

I agree that it has made me self reflect more too. I find when I get busy I get caught up in day to day things and I dont think about the bigger picture, you know? This book is great for that!

56 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 18, 2010

It must be s sign. I just finished a book on Friday and I was asking some friends for suggestions on what to read, and guess what they suggested Eat, pray, love. And then here you are today reading it. I guess it’s calling my name.

57 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Yes, you should pick it up…then we can chat about it! :)

58 Ana July 18, 2010

I LOVE that book!!
Ana

59 Kiersten July 18, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love is such a good book. I feel like I learned a lot from it too. I completely agree that we should be able to do what we really want, not just what is the most practical. Sometimes it is easier said than done though.

60 Leah @ L4L July 18, 2010

I took a 6 week trip to India one summer during college. Everyone asked me why and I would respond, “For fun!” People didn’t get it. They assumed the only reason one would go to India would be to study, do charity work, or something related. Nope! We went and toured and partied like it was 1999!

61 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

hahah this is awesome, thanks for sharing!

62 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 18, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love is absolutely fantastic. I loved it so much. I really want to take cooking lessons and become better in the kitchen. I mean yes, eventually those skills might be good if I feed my future family, but I’m an architecture major. I should be focusing that. I’m trying to get very high grades so that I can go to any school for my masters.

63 Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 18, 2010

This book will change your life.

My best friend and I both read it while we were traveling through Italy together for 2 weeks this past February. It gave us so much “food for thought.” And still, months later, we are beginning to implement changes in our life that were inspired by the book.

Enjoy :)

64 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Wow that would be amazing to read it while on a trip like that doubly so!

65 Lea @ Healthy Coconut July 18, 2010

I love the book. It’s actually one of the few books that I’ve read several times and each time that I’ve read it, the words on the pages changes meaning and it’s different for me. It gets better each time I re-read it. I believe it’s because the 1st time I read it a few years ago, I was in a different phase in my life. Reading it again now, it will mean differently as it applies to your life. Hope that makes sense.

I’ve always loved to travel and make time to do it. It also helps to save for travel plans and stay within your budget. I loved traveling knowing I’ve saved up for it and that there will be no surprise expenses on my credit card charges after we get home.

66 Michal July 18, 2010

I want to read this book, but I’m waiting because it might be on my Book Club list.
The thing I want that I’ve held back on for years isn’t as much about it not having practical application so much as…. I’ve grown up being urged away from it because it’s “impractical,” and so I hesitate to jump in and try without a clear cut plan for doing so. I’ve wanted to do some kind of work where I really feel like I’m inspiring youth to be an active part of global change. I love teaching (I teach in museums), but finding the right program opportunity or MAKING the right program opportunity seems to be elusive. So I keep searching and dreaming and hoping that I just need to make it to the next step in my career and then I’ll be able to…. I think that my close friends have grown tired of hearing me dream without doing, and so they’ve stopped being supportive or encouraging or really involved at all. I understand that, but I miss getting their feedback on my ideas.

67 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Thanks for sharing, I hope you can make it a reality :)

68 Jen July 18, 2010

This is a little different than most ideas, and maybe not quite what you meant, but I have wanted a dog for years now, but it’s so not practical now that I really can’t justify it. I grew up on a farm, and always had tons of animals around me and they bring me so much joy and love into my life. But being a student (now grad student), renter, frequent traveler, and currently living abroad, it’s just never seemed like a good time. But I want one soooo badly! I CRAVE having a dog to snuggle and jog with and give kisses to and play in the park with. I’ve always had a plan, like “I’ll get one when…” and then something always comes up to offset that. I guess it’s kind of like having a kid that way?

69 Jillian July 20, 2010

I was the same way and I work at an animal shelter! I had rationalized that I didn’t have time or energy to have a dog… My boyfriend didn’t want a dog in the house, he hates the shedding and the mess… But, along came a little deaf puppy who stole my heart. Things fell into place, I got to take him home for a night and honestly thought he would leave the next day… Well, my boyfriend said if I wanted to keep him I could. It was honestly a huge turning point in my life, getting my little boy helped me make other decisions to better my life… I’ve taken up running (with my dog), which lead to eating better, which lead to re-doing our oh so 70’s kitchen.

It may not seem practical to have a dog right now, but it might be the best thing you do… You will change your life to make room/time for the dog.

70 Crystal July 18, 2010

Love that quote from the book! Similarly, I want to learn French and one day be fluent in it. Because I haven’t been able to think of a practical application for it, I haven’t bothered with trying. This has definitely inspired me, though!

71 Stacie July 18, 2010

Doesn’t it feel like somedays “you” are going through a quarter-life crisis (25 years old), just a few years late?! I know I did and I think it’s something we all naturally go through, but at the time you feel like you are the only one. Hope you guys are having a good Sunday!

The bookstore just got adding to my errand list today! Thanks…such a fun purchase :)
~Stacie

72 tanyasdaily July 18, 2010

I will have to read that book, looks interesting.

73 Sarah July 18, 2010

My husband and I have definitely been on a self-discovery journey for a while. It’s been a process for us. We live in an area that neither of us connects with and we are trying hard to move to a place that we both feel excited about. It’s hard to make that kind of a change when it appears to most people that everything is great…we have a nice home in a great neighborhood, we don’t have kids but I can afford not to work (so I spend my time doing things I want to do, like volunteering), my husband really likes his job. But even with all of that, we’re not happy. So we’re doing what outsiders/family might think is risky and trying to move to an area that is more expensive, that will require that we downsize. In fact, it is a risk. We don’t know whether we’ll like it. But we know that we’ll regret living here for the next 10 years when we could have had a chance to see if we’d like living somewhere else. We’re ready to jump in with both feet and see what happens! It could end up that we don’t like the next place we live but even if that’s the case, we’ll know it for sure instead of just wondering.

I think that many of us were raised to do the “right” thing: get good grades, go to a good school, get a good job. We thought that was the formula for happiness. But if we’ve been following someone else’s dreams instead of our own, we can find that we’re not very fulfilled. When you’ve only got one chance at life, it makes sense to figure out what we want our life to look like and then take steps to make it happen. When I’m 90 years old, will I be glad that I lived in this place for the last 8 years? No. Because I haven’t ever really liked it here! Instead of focusing on that, we decided to do something about it and see where we end up!

74 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

This is an amazing comment, thank you for sharing! I agree :)

75 Emmanuelle July 19, 2010

Sarah I hear you on that, you and your husband are not the only ones!

My boyfriend and I are doing well by the standards, we now both have good jobs, we live in a nice apartment in a nice neighbourhood, but we are really questioning our life, we have been for a while actually.
I have started shifting my priorities and have been on a journey of self-discovery, which is far from being over as I am starting yoga teacher training in September, after a couple of workshops. My boyfriend is struggling a bit at the moment and I can feel he’s not happy where he is. We both want to move but not sure where (we are both French and live in Belgium), and we are sort of fed up with life as we know it.
We really want to travel as well! This year we are going to Japan, which is a life-long dream coming true! We also would love to go to Canada and the US (hello everyone :-)), to India, Scotland and Ireland… And find our place in this world :-)

Good luck!

76 Lisa July 18, 2010

I would love to stop everything and take a month or two off and travel through europe. Maybe someday….

77 Christie July 18, 2010

this post is totally hitting me at the right time. first of all, i’m reading elizabeth gilbert’s 2nd book committed right now and i love her :) but also i’ve been thinking a lot about what i really want to do. sell our house and move… where??? go back to school? have kids? i told my husband last night as we went out for coffee and dessert that we have a good life and i’m pretty happy but i wonder what else i want to do? the school/program i’m thinking about doing is not close to my house so i don’t know how *practical* it would be for me to try to do that. i’d also be leaving a stable, good paying job to do so. i’m pretty young (25) so i feel like i have time. i don’t know; decisions, decisions…

78 Catherine July 18, 2010

Make a plan of action to include Travel in the very near future. We always wanted to travel but did not. As time goes on, things change and there are often unexpected health changes that make traveling very difficult or impossible, even with doing all the right things such as exercise, yoga, meditation, healthy nutrition, because life offers no guarantees. Do it while you are young, healthy and strong, that makes a world of difference in the choices availableto us. We never know what tomorrow brings. Best to you and to Eric. Live your dreams !

79 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Thank you so much. I think we always do assume that there will be another chance, but sometimes there is not. Good advice

80 Red Head, Yellow Dog July 18, 2010

another part of that book I thought was really interesting was when she told people in America that she was taking a year off just for herself and to do what she always wanted, they told her she was crazy and how could she possibly do that. Like she was being selfish for doing something for herself exclusively. But when she told people in Italy what she was doing they thought it was great! They welcomed and encouraged her exploration and time for herself. It’s all about perspective.

81 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

OMG yes, I think I underlined that entire part!

82 Emilie July 18, 2010

that book totally changed my summer, my (college) schedule for next year, and my priorities in life. LOVE IT. http://dulyquoted.wordpress.com/category/elizabeth-gilbert/ –>my fave quote at the moment is “And nothing pisses off a control freak more than life not goin’ her way” ;).

83 erica rose July 18, 2010

Learn French. I took French 101 (beginner) a few semesters ago, but because I’m not using it daily like I was, I’ve lost the majority of it. It is a beautiful language, and I hope one day I really get a grasp of it.

84 Kelly Olexa July 18, 2010

I too just started reading Eat Pray Love. I gotta tell you, I am sooo drawn into this story. I went through a rough divorce and I can relate to that emotional upheaval. I also found out about the book years ago but am only reading it now!! ;-) Too funny!

85 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

It was meant to be! hehe

86 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 18, 2010

I would also love to travel everywhere, and learn how to cook exquisite dishes and bake all kinds of things.

Unfortunately I’m a college student who has lots of other work on her plate, and at this point in my life, I just don’t have the resources to do everything I want.

However, my mom suggested that I go on vacation at the end of my summer research to a place I’ve never been before and although I was reluctant (it’s pricey!) I took the chance and booked my trip (Montreal). I am so excited to be able to go out and just enjoy life and explore a new place just for the sake of it. I can’t wait! :)

87 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Wow have fun!

88 Maureen July 18, 2010

The “what if” question is key. Last fall my daughter completed her RHN, she had completed her BA in Psychology a couple years before. She was working for a business in Vancouver and wondering how to start her new career and quit the corporate job. But more than that she wanted a “winter of skiing” before starting this next phase in her career. As you can imagine many people had an opinion on what was practical, I her mother who knew how hard she had worked said go for it, now is the time to do these things. However one of her best friends said it best by asking her; Do not think of how you will feel if you do it rather think of how you will feel if you don’t? Her decision was made and she had an awesome winter, she moved to Banff and has found a place she loves to live, she has started the slow process of building a career as a RHN and I do not believe she has ever been in a better place emotionally, physically or mentally. So as long as you can afford what you would like to do I do not believe your choice could ever be considered impractical.

89 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

That is a great story Maureen, thanks for sharing :)

90 Sophie July 18, 2010

I just finished reading Eat Pray Love, and to say that I fell in love with the book would be an understatement. I suggest this book to everyone. It completely changed the way I am approaching life now. Enjoy it!

91 Ashley July 18, 2010

I need to sit and READ. I have about 5 books going right now and I just can’t find the time. I always feel like I need to be “doing” something. This has to stop! Once I get through my stack Eat, Pray, Love will be up next! We definitely have the same dreams of traveling…but that hasn’t’ worked out yet. I would even just love to travel around Colorado for a week..we have no jobs and still can’t find the time! As for me? I’m trying to figure out my next move…NO clue what it will be…but I’m not settling. [well, I might have to for a little while, just to get some money flowing..but you know what I mean ;)]

92 Alexa@Running the Road to Recovery July 18, 2010

Your cat is much more courteous than mine! My cat will sit on whatever you’re doing that is taking attention away from her – book, laptop, person… Sort of a diva, as you might imagine.

93 Jenny July 18, 2010

Wow. I love this. I feel like I am heading in the right direction. My boyfriend and I just picked up and moved to Nashville with our dog. We had no place to live, no jobs, no furniture. We slept on the floor for weeks. We finally have a cute condo, just bought a mattress, I am about to get into roller blading to spice up my running routine, I am working part time at a dog kennel and wanting to experience waitressing and bartending. Wanting to go back to school for photo journalism. I feel like taking risks is hard and we were told we were crazy. And life is still a struggle. But I am so happy I feel I can fly! I love the inspirational posts like this…hope Eric ends up doing whatever he feels is right. Life is too short, you know? It’s too short. Must check out this book :)

94 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Exciting! I wish you all the best with your journey :)

95 Jessica July 18, 2010

I have recently make some life-changing decisions that were purely about following my heart- and I couldn’t be happier! I got married about 5 months ago (we planned our wedding in 5 days!), moved 1500 miles away, and quit my high paying job. (We were in a unique situation… hence, the fast wedding). But I am with the love of my life in a beautiful place.

It is a little bit hard because I do not have the pay check that I did and the job situation is a lot different here. But I am ok with that. I have been contemplating a career change anyway. And now I have the time to think about what I want to do with my career.

96 Kelli July 18, 2010

What does Eric do for work?

97 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

He prefers not to talk about it on the internet (just his own preference) for privacy. Sorry about that!

98 Crystal July 18, 2010

Travel, especially on my student budget and debt! Yikes! I have always wanted to go to Japan (since I was in Grade 2!) but hopefully one day it will happen. I also want a house and a family but I’m 22, in university, and I have been dating the same guy for two years. I feel like I need to “wait” a certain amount of time before things become acceptable and practical.

99 Dee July 18, 2010

I love, love, LOVE this book too. I also found this during a very rough patch in my life. I remember reading the part where she breaks down and felt an instant connection. Gosh. I don’t think I ever cried so much in my life during that year.

I think I may need to re-read this soon. Am having a very tough time money wise and I really need to put things in perspective.

100 CathyK July 18, 2010

oh, i hope you can do some travel, Angela!
i am currently touring florida on my own for two weeks while my husband is away…and i’m loving it! i’ve never travelled alone, and it’s absolutely exhilarating! SO FUNNY that you should mention “eat pray love” – i’ve read the book and feel like i am having a mini-personal growth experiece with lots of “could i…” and “a-ha” moments. (florida is not as exotic as elizabeth gilbert’s destinations, but it’s a start!)
i’m visiting some of the places that you mentioned back in march when you did your florida tour – upcoming is sanibel island and miromar outlets!
keep reading!!! :)

101 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

That sounds exciting…a trip alone would be such a life changing experience

102 Tina July 18, 2010

I haven’t read that book yet and have been meaning to for forever. I am going to put it on hold at my library’s website right NOW!

103 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 18, 2010

It’s true, the best things in life really are free! Glad you are enjoying the book. I had my first green monster today and I loved it – so great!!

104 Kim July 18, 2010

Interesting timing. My husband and I traveled and lived overseas for 10 years, 7 of them with young children. We came home to the States and settled down onto a 5 acre mini-homestead. We love it. Now that the youngest child is in search of employment we started our “Greece in a Jar.” Everyday we throw whatever change we have into the jar. We’ll keep on doing that until we have enough to go to Greece for a couple of weeks to a month. In the meantime (it is a slow process only saving coins), we’ll be learning Greek.

I’ll have to see if the library has EPL. Sounds like a life-changing read.

105 Alana July 21, 2010

I LOVE the Greece in a jar idea!

106 christina cadden July 18, 2010

I loved that book. I am super excited to see the movie when it comes out!

107 Rosey Rebecca July 18, 2010

I need to get my hands on that book. Sounds like it’s soo good. My mother is a librarian and read it a couple years ago. She told me to read it then, and I didn’t

Don’t worry– my green monsters almost always look like that. JK haha. A funny story- I just started working as a barista at a cafe, and the first time I made an Italian soda, I sprayed the seltzer all over myself and my coworker! HA

Things that I want to do that don’t necessarily have a practical purpose: Move to a big city, walk/bike everywhere, open a cafe, go to culinary school, get a degree in nutrition.

108 kellyO July 18, 2010

I want to quit my toxic 9 to 5 and spend time with my retired husband playing. We can afford it, but I just can’t seem to make the jump…

109 J@WholeBodyLove July 18, 2010

I have alway wanted to study nutrition. But, when I decided to go beck to school, I found the salary of a seasoned registered dietician to be the same as the starting slaryof a nurse. So, I went the safe route with nursing. Even now, I could do a “nutritionist” certification but then “what would I do with it?” I ask myself. I won’t make enough money to use is as a career until I get out of school since there are SO many others with nutrition coaching certifications.

110 bitt July 18, 2010

thanks for the reminder that i still need to read this book. i got it for my book club back when i was working and then of course was TOO BUSY to read it. boo. i too dropped out of an incredibly stressful job like you did.

i am not sure of a lot of my endeavors having a practical purpose. i have altered my life so i do things that: make me happy or help get me well (which is practical I suppose). something i’ve wanted to do is get more training in being a raw chef, although i may never make a career out of it. impractical yet fun training!

111 Erika July 18, 2010

I just finished EPL and how perfect of timing could it be for me in my life with ending a long term relationship where it just wasn’t healthy for me….and taking this time to find me, and the happiness and peace within instead of defining it by others. Love love loved this book….too often we go by what is “the norm” instead of just what we want to do….sometimes it is those moments of the heart that lead us into expereince and knowledge could no other way have obtained!

112 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy July 18, 2010

I also really loved the book Eat, Pray, Love – its message can definitely speak to so many of us.

And I also have the problem with only doing something that’s practical – which is stupid. Sometimes you should just do something because it feels right and you like to do it, and not second guess it because it’s not practical. The funny thing is that’s usually what successful people say when giving interviews – that they did what their gut said to even though it didn’t make sense!

113 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

I agree…nothing made sense about me quitting except my gut said to do it. I can relate to that a lot.

114 Jen July 18, 2010

Fantastic memoir! I read it one weekend and felt so motivated and inspired after completing it. Her lectures/talks are equally uplifting. Have a great Sunday. :)

115 erica July 18, 2010

i have to agree about the traveling thing. there are so many places that i want to see/visit—i think traveling and seeing other places and cultures and just a new environment in general helps you grow and opens your eyes. i wanted to travel, like you and eric, in my late 20s. i’ve now just hit 30 and still feel like i haven’t accomplished that. i use my vacation time to visit my bff–therapy for the soul. but that usually means visiting her in irvine, and that’s all i’ve seen for 3 or 4 years. that seemed more practical. hahaha. now we’re trying to meet up in other places so we both get vacations and spend time together :)

116 Heather (Heather's Dish) July 18, 2010

i feel the same way about italian and french…for so many years i studied spanish because i was told i would use it, but i just wish i’d studied the languages i really wanted to! that plus culinary school…it doesn’t make sense to people, but i would love to be able to do that!

117 Charlotte July 18, 2010

That was a great book and one that I feel I need to read again. I have wanted to travel since I was 18 and now in my late 20’s I have still yet to make it happen. Last year my husband and I decided to take the plung and just quit our jobs and backpack, road trip and rock climb our way around the US. However a month before we were going to quit I got injured and was barely able to walk for the past 8 months. Now traveling looks out of the picture for a year and kids are likely to happen before then. I just look at what my in-laws did, taking the kids for 2 weeks to a month every summer to somewhere new and traveling. It made me realize that you make due and find ways to travel even if it was not your ideal situation. However if I could travel now I would do it in a heart beat!

118 Maureen July 18, 2010

Just another thought, I have often regretted many “things” I have purchased but I have never regretted a penny I spent on travel the memories last forever.

119 Laura July 18, 2010

I have read EPL several times, and am excited you are enjoying it! I often think about “smiling in my liver” when I’m down and it gives me a little giggle. :-)

I did take a leap a few years back and went to graduate school to become an elementary school counselor. After two and a half years of working full-time and going to grad school full-time the local school systems aren’t hiring due to budget constraints. In the meantime I continue to work in my marketing position, and just have to hope that the schools start hiring again!

120 christine July 18, 2010

my boyfriend and i took an AMAZING trip two summers ago…we did a Habitat for Humanity trip to El Salvador…it was an incredible way to travel, feel productive, DO something for someone else (who really needs it) and meet some of the most amazing people i’ve ever met. it was such a great experience…it got so many amazing photographs and stories and memories…i can’t wait to do another trip…it does cost money, but you can fundraise for a lot of the cost (donations to your trip can be tax deductible) and we just went on their website and picked a trip that fit with our schedules…we didn’t know who we’d be with, but we couldn’t have asked for more amazing people…from all over, all ages…just incredible. i couldn’t possibly recommend it more if you’re looking for a good way to travel and feel really good about it too!!! there are lots of organizations that do service trips if you’re not into habitat, so you should definitely check it out!

121 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Its funny you mentioned this because I was actually looking into these types of charity trips a couple months ago. Do you happen to have a link that would help guide me or should I just google the habitat for humanity website?
Thanks :)

122 christine July 18, 2010

this is the link to the global village program – this is exactly what we did – we found this page (my mom suggested it…she does habitat locally on a weekly basis) and just chose a trip that we thought would be interesting that happened to be on a date that worked for us. email me if you start seriously considering it…i’ll even torture you with my endless photos of our trip :)

123 Michele July 19, 2010

I’ve volunteered for habitat for humanity all over the US and a global village trip as well. It’s such a great organization and a good way to travel plus you really get to experience the people of another country, working with them so closely.

124 Lisa July 18, 2010

I have been meaning to read this book for a while now :)

125 saffity July 18, 2010

My main things that I would think are impractical but that I would really love to do and learn are as follows:

-Makeup Certification course for costumes
-Learning chainmaille techniques
-Learning Japanese
-Learning ASL

One of my main hobbies is making costumes (And dressing up in them while running around like a nut). I’m currently doing a 10,000 hour challenge with my costumes and am working on improving my skills. I don’t know if I’ll ever do anything with them but this is what I’m learning and working on right now that people would think is impractical. I’m hoping to work through the above list as I go on with this challenge…

I think I need to pick up that book, I’ve heard a lot about it, but never actually grabbed it.

126 Ashley July 18, 2010

Eat Pray Love is such a beautiful book. I’m so excited for the movie.

I try to live every day to the fullest and avoid the idea that I should only do things that serve a practical purpose. If that weren’t the case, I would still be sitting in my office job waiting for happiness to fall upon me. Instead I’m living my dream life and loving every minute. I do wish that I had more time (and money!) to travel and I recognize that it will come.

127 Brooke July 18, 2010

My husband and I took a year off from working right before I went back to school for my PhD. I actually took my GRE’s in Bangkok, Thailand, sent off all of my applications while in Hanoi, Vietnam, had phone interviews while in Varanasi, India and found out I was accepted to a program while in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia! We took a year to save up for our trip– and it was a tough year– but it’s amazing how much you can save when you have a goal in mind. I recommend doing it now… strike while the iron’s hot!

128 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

WOW that is awesome! Good for you! =)

129 Pure2raw twins July 18, 2010

This really makes me want to read this book. I have heard so many great things about it.

Before I studied abroad in Italy, I took two semester of Italian. I loved it. I only wish I kept up with it more. There are so many things I want to do, but just never seems like there is time. I agree with you on traveling. I love traveling, just wish I had time for it (and money).

130 Amy July 18, 2010

I so need to read this book. I’ve been looking for something good to read. Recovering from anorexia its hard to find out ur true purpose. I started school to be a dietician and have taken time off but I feel in my heart thats why I suffered an eating disorder is to help someone else. I have such a love for fitness and nutrition, always have and I’m so over the skinny thing. now its all about the guns baby!!

131 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Love your positive comment. Great mindset!

132 Melinda July 18, 2010

Obviously I would like to travel more. It is not practical entirely because of school and work, plus getting off this island can be a pain, but getting to Lisbon is really easy because it is a Portuguese island. I just got back from a 3 country trip and I am headed to mainland Europe again, but I feel like I live so close, so I should do more.

Another thing I would like to do, but not sure of the practicality of it would be learn to sail, for real, not just on a sunfish.

133 Carla July 18, 2010

This is sooooo funny …

For me it’s not Italian but Japanese. I’m desperately broke right now and just listed all of my wonderful and very expensive study books on Amazon for some fast cash. But just as I was about to complete the listing process for the last one, I stopped. Japanese completely engages me when I’m studying it. It’s such a satisfying feeling and even though I’m a beginner (I’ve been a beginner for two plus years), I feel like a Super Ninja when I used to sit in a cafe with one of my study books.

But … for some reason I have always limited myself when doing something that brings me pleasure. I’ll get only so far and then stop. I’ve done this throughout my entire life, and now that I’m almost 40 years old, I’m full of regrets. My heart aches whenever I look back at all the wonderful things I could have done in my life but didn’t because I didn’t feel worthy. How can I not be worthy of study Japanese? But that’s the psychology behind why those lovely books haven’t been touched for two years. It’s almost as if things are too beautiful and precious and right to last, and so why even bother if they’re going to leave me someday?

Today, though, something stopped me from listing that last book. And before I knew what I was doing, I deleted every single listing that I had already posted. Starting tomorrow I’m jumping right back into my Japanese studies, and it’s such a wonderful feeling, as if the universe has given me permission to finally just trust that I deserve beauty in my life just as much as anyone else.

The cool thing … is that immediately after canceling my Amazon listings to sell my precious Japanese books, I found myself reading your new post and could feel tears in the back of my eyes as I realized that I’m SO not alone on this planet. Angela, everything about you and what you share on your website lifts me up, and I’m always so grateful when I come here and find something new that inspires me to keep this truck moving forward.

Thank you!

134 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Not going to lie I had tears welling up in my eyes as I read this. Thank you Carla, this really touched me. Goodluck with your studies, it sounds like something you will really excel in. :)

135 Brittany July 18, 2010

I just purchased Eat Pray Love as well because I want to read it before the movie comes out. So far I’m only a few pages in but hope to have more time this week to continue reading.

I’d love to pursue my passions and embark on a career path that I’m passionate about but practical reasons definitely hold me back. Hopefully one day I will be able to let go of those limitations and move forward with my dreams.

136 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete July 18, 2010

I LOVE that book. I started reading it when my husband and I had just moved to Germany. It totally helped me get over the transition of living in another country for 2 1/2 years, and it helped me realize, “Hey, I’m here. Let’s make the best of it. What can I learn from this situation?” It truly made the years pass by so quickly, and we just now moved back. Love, love, love that book. I’m even more excited now that it is made into a movie!

137 She-Fit July 18, 2010

I have always wanted to read this book and now I have to! I love this review and the last question is definitely something to think about. I would have to say traveling is one of those things James and I would love to do too!

138 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 18, 2010

I’m reading EPL right now and it has inspired me so much already!

Before I switched programs, I was aiming towards a medical degree because I thought it was the practical thing to do. I’m so glad I went with my passions and switched to nutrition! In the end, it’s all about what makes you happy, not which career is the most profitable.

139 Michelle @Eatingjourney July 18, 2010

you know what wasn’t practical?

-going to East Timor on a holiday instead of going home to visit my family
-dumping my life and soul into my faith—at least that’s what I thought at first
-GOING TO NURSING school at 26, taking on 63,000 in debt

you know what’s even less practical…not following my dreams.

140 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Amazing comment

141 Jen July 18, 2010

i agree <3

142 Michelle @Eatingjourney July 18, 2010
143 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2010

Love this!
She is scared of seaweed too. I had to note that.

144 Michelle @ Eatingjourney July 18, 2010

i adore you.

145 Tamara Lea July 18, 2010

I’ll be interested to see what you think of that book. I loved it at first, but eventually started to really dislike it. But that is all I will say until you finish reading! :-)

Most of the things I want to do have a practical application, I just don’t have the time. I want to go to law school, but I need to finish my MBA first (since I am halfway, it doesn’t make sense to quit now!). I want to learn to sew and garden, but no time. I also want to re-learn how to speak spanish.

I suppose the only nonpractical thing is that I want to do a graduate level integral psychology program. How does a business / law student apply integral psychology….?! hehe…..

146 Terri July 18, 2010

Hi, I love your blog, I, too, an reading EPL and love it, can’t wait for the movie. I would just love to see Elizabeth Gilbert’s interview with Oprah, but I can’t find it anywhere…do you have a link directly to the video of the whole interview??? (THANKS!!! for it if you do, and for writing your blog, you are VERY inspirational :))

147 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

I couldnt find it anywhere myself on the Oprah website..maybe it is on Youtube?

148 Terri July 19, 2010

I tried youtube, no luck :( but thanks!!!

149 Amber K July 18, 2010

I’d love to go back to college, but I am unsure if I would ever even use another degree. One day I would love to get a bachelor’s instead of just an associate’s. But all of that time and money that I don’t have….I don’t know. I feel like I should be spending it on other things!

150 Jen July 18, 2010

omg i am so in love with this book- it inspired me to travel to many places on my own! and feel that way for french (the way e. gilbert talks about wanting to know italian for no reason).

151 Kirsten July 18, 2010

Glad you are enjoying the book! I read it a couple of years ago and I have admit it wasn’t my fave read. Like someone commented above I really wanted to like the book, but I just found myself not really enjoying it at all. But I do appreciate the message of the book.

One day I would love to be able to teach Pilates (or get qualified to). Doesn’t really have a practical purpose, but is one of my life goals!

PS: I thought of you the other day when I got my CSA. One of the spring onions I got this week was so huge it was nuts. They just keep on getting bigger!

152 Ilana July 18, 2010

I can’t wait to read this book! I just got it out of the library.

So, I had this WEED growing in my garden and I had no idea what it was until I read your blog and realized it’s PURSLANE! Since I don’t use pesticides in the yard, I can EAT IT. I can’t wait to try it – or more likely, see what you do with it and then try to replicate ;)

153 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

its great in GMs!

154 Heather Dawn July 18, 2010

I just bought the book and am so excited to start reading it! I haven’t been excited about a book in quite a while. I think it is going to be perfect for me at this time because I am going through a lot of self discovery right now. I am taking classes to be a certified yoga instructor and we are learning how to get in our bodies and really connect. My body has seemed so foreign to me that it is opening up new experiences that are kind of intimidating. Im learning to just go with whatever I feel because it is right at that time in my life.
My number one thing I want to do is travel! I want to really experience the world before I “grow up.”

155 Molly July 18, 2010

This is so ironic… I was just at the grocery store and was browsing the book section (for cookbooks, of course!) when I found a copy of Eat, Pray, Love. It was marked down to $12 and I thought I remembered reading a blogger’s comments on the book (maybe you?). So I bought it and plan to start reading it tonight! I’m so glad you made this post :)
I’m not sure if this is practical or not, but:
After college I want to open my own Vegetarian restaurant/Natural Foods Store. I would also like to write a book about fitness and switching to whole foods. I feel like my brain is exploding with nutritional knowledge that could be used to help people!!

156 dep July 18, 2010

Hi Angela, great post – as very true. I started learning Russian 6 weeks ago – after wanting to learn for 12 years and trying to no avail on my own with books etc. If you never start, you’ll certainly never arrive, so i finally just did it. Which is also why i’m booked to go skydiving for my first time this weekend after being enthralled by base jumping for ages. Seriously! I never have the money and i never have the time (to do these great plans i want – travel etc too) because i’m trying to make the money…a bit silly. I think after starting this journey myself that you don’t need to plan the world trip right now, you just need to plan to go somewhere, someplace and start that journey. The rest will come if you want it to. Take care :)

157 Kate August 4, 2010

Hey, I’m Russian. :) let me know if you ever want to practice.

Kate

158 sarah July 18, 2010

I loved the book too! It was so inspiring! I am 31 and single and not nearly as fulfilled by my job as I dreamed I would be (not a vet or married to a vet–which were my biggest dreams). I have always wanted to go to Australia and volunteer in some sort of wildlife capacity. After reading the book, I suddenly realized that I can! No, it might not be practical for me drop everything and go here to volunteer: http://www.koalahospital.org.au/ , but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t do it. It would be such an amazing adventure and the memories would be priceless. I’m in the research phases now. Even if I have to quit my job to do it, is that such a tragedy? My job is in demand all over the country! I can get a new one when I get back…

159 Lizzie July 19, 2010

I’m Australian and you say what every American I meet says – “I have always wanted to go to Australia”. DO IT!!!!! Contrary to what everyone assumes, it ISN’T that expensive (last year they put up flights from LAX and SFO $300 one-way), yes the flight is long, but you leave at night, eat dinner, watch some tv, sleep, wake up, eat breakfast, and you’re there, and the odds of you getting attacked or bitten by something are not as high as you would think. If you’re jopb is in demand then you’re already at an advantage to most people. Who knows? I met my husband when he came to Australia for 6 months . .. you never know :)

160 sarah July 19, 2010

Thanks for the tips! I’m trying to get my ducks in a row so I can, really I am. I can’t decide if it’d be best to move there for a year (I should qualify for a skilled work visa) or go volunteer for a month and then travel on some sort of tour. It’s a hard leap to make when you get a lot of “ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!?”. Most people from Ohio don’t do such things I guess…one must get married/have kids ASAP to have worth…since I have done neither and have 3 degrees, I make many heads shake in sadness and confusion. ;) All I know is this- I am not a person who is happy standing still. I need to learn, I need to grow, and I need as many gleeful “I NEVER thought I’d be doing *THIS* when I got up this morning” moments as possible. It is so easy to get so bogged down with doing what is expected of us that we let our dreams become buried and forgotten. Life is too short for that…

161 Lizzie July 19, 2010

I can identify (kind of) with the ‘worth’ thing. At least there isn’t a heap of pressure on me, but I have a friend from SC who is in the same boat as she is VERY different from a lot of her SC friends in the life path she has taken.

My advice would be to bypass the visa thing and just volunteer for the month and then travel. If you love it and have opportunities you can always figure out a way to stay – but at least you’re giving yourself a change to try it out. Make a short list of places you absolutely HAVE to see and get to those – it’s a big space! Again, that’s just my opinion and you might work better with the visa option. Whatever you do, don’t let other people deter you – it’s an amazing country with nice people (obviously don’t expect everyone to be nice, but that’s the same as anywhere!), amazing natural beauty, and weather I cry over when it’s 30F outside! Your worth is within you and as I said before, who knows where it will take you?

162 Danielle Motley July 18, 2010

Wow, I took a break because I was getting discouraged working on my own “unpractical” dream. I decided to read your blog (like I do on a regular basis) and this was so encouraging. It came at just the right time. It is sad to think that we don’t follow our dreams and often give up just because it seems unpractical or unrealistic. Angela, I admire you so much and even though this is my first time posting you have been a major influence on me and I love your blog! THANKS!

163 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2010

Wow, thank you for your really kind comment. Im so happy the post was able to help you along your path too. Thats how I feel about the above comments, very inspiring! Goodluck with your goals :)

164 Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace July 18, 2010

OMG, reading, working and watching the news at the same time, there was a subject tonight about folks who had been laid off from jobs and were pursuing things they’d only dreamed of doing. Wow….and reading this blog at the same time that was reported is kind of Twilight Zoney….teehee! I put that book in my Amazon queue and am looking forward to reading it. I am having these thoughts lately of no longer wanting to be stuck in a cubicle daily life just for a paycheck and being so unhappy with that job and that world 10-12 hrs. a day. I recently borrowed some language CDs from a friend to learn to speak German, once I get that down conversationally, I’d like to learn Italian. I love different languages.

Thank you Angela for quite an inspiring blog. I, as well, am inspired by your blogs and talk about you quite often with friends. In fact, I spoke of you during my 15k today with some fellow runners and also at a ladies luncheon. You always make me smile. :0)

165 Cami July 18, 2010

Oh wow. I can really relate to the idea of needing a practical purpose right now. My story is very much like yours it seems. I just graduated with my Masters in Accounting. I have what some would consider “a dream job” with one of the Big 4 Accounting Firms starting in October after I pass all 4 CPA exams this summer. My husband is currently in law school and has 2 years left. In other words, we have zero income right now and in October we will just be living off of my income for the next 2 years.

However, after getting my Masters and going through the CPA process, I have realized that I don’t want to be an auditor. I want to do something I have always loved but simply pushed to the side because it wasn’t “practical.” I want to be a nutrition and health coach/counselor. I want to help others who want to be healthy, but just don’t know how. It’s hard finding the motivation to study for the CPA exam when I would rather be getting other health related certifications. Basically, following my dream career would not be practical at all right now, but it is a desire that won’t simply go away. For now, I’ve decided that if I can stick it out being an auditor for 2 years until my husband graduates from law school, then maybe I can start following my dream career at that time. Either way, it’s going to happen at some point, I just don’t know when, but we will see! In the meantime, I definitely am going to read Eat Pray Love! Thanks for sharing that thought provoking piece from the book.

On another note, I was recently attacked by a gigantic cobweb too!! I just blogged about it a couple days ago… crazy! It must be spider season (if there is such a thing)…

166 Jordan @ Live a Little Better July 18, 2010

I read Eat Pray Love last year and had to put it down when reading through the India part. Italy was great, but I just got bored after that. I might see the movie and give the book another chance.

I’m very happy with my marriage and family life, just not completely fulfilled professionally. I often wonder if I’m being a baby, because I get paid well (for my career in marketing), have great co-workers, a laid back boss, etc. I’m luck to HAVE a job since I was laid off for three months last year. I just don’t feel like I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing with my talents and skills. I want to work for myself. I’d love to have my own working organic farm. Or work in the environmental science field. I have too much student loan debt to consider a huge change though. :(

167 Lynna July 18, 2010

There is so much I want to do. So many things I think about doing or dream about doing but don’t do or haven’t done. My parents have always pressured me to do things that are practical and “by the book.” I don’t want to totally blame them but my desire for their approval definitely colored some of my previous decisions. Here are some things I want to do but probably aren’t “practical”:
– travel to Berlin, Paris, India, everywhere
– open my own bakery/ cafe
– educate people about nutrition/ healthy cooking
– become an amazing yogi
– sell my baked goods

I hope I’ll be able to make some of these things happen and not let practicality stand in my way. Thanks for sparking this great discussion!

168 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 18, 2010

I would love to live in another country for a while, but I love my job and my home, and wouldn’t want to lose either.

169 Heather July 18, 2010

I’m still figuring out what I want, but I’m not afraid to do some crazy (to other people) Stuff along the way. I encouraged my high school students–especially the high achievers who spend all their time studying and racking up extracurriculars to get into the perfect college and to have the “perfect” life not to be afraid to jump off the fast track for a week or a summer or a year. I move to Germany after college because I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life and spent two years nannying, teaching, and studying. Eventually my practical side won out and I came home to work as a high school teacher for three years. This year, I realized I was no longer learning, I was starting to do the minimum, and my environment was toxic. I love teaching and I loved that the vacation time allowed me to travel (spent a month in Aus/NZ last summer) but I didn’t like the place or the admin anymore. So, with support from my BF, I’m jumping ship again and moving to Korea for a year to teach English and travel–after a summer of savoring the US and a month back in Germany refreshing my language skills. I don’t speak Korean but i didn’t speak German when I got there either. These things don’t scare me… But I know they are challenges for others.

What I want to achieve is what you’ve done! I want to find a healthy balance, I want to discover what makes me tick and what I am actually created to do. I want to set and fulfill athletic goals for myself and not be afraid to push myself hard. I want to learn how to go a little easier on myself. These things to me are difficult… Whether they are practical or not.

Good luck in your travel plans. If you need any advice, I know some tricks :-)

170 Becca July 19, 2010

I am in the middle of reading this book toooo!!! I jsut got back from a 3-month stay in Rome to study, and I can’t stop thinking about travelling now. The world seems like such a smaller place now! I want to go EVERYWHERE, but there are so many other things I *should* be doing…… to me though, I can’t really imagine anything more important to me than learning everything the whole world has to offer. I want to know people from all over the world, and see so many things, I would sacrifice so much just to do that. It is something I have recently realized and I am so glad you are helping people to realize things like this too!!

171 amie July 19, 2010

i actually stopped reading that book halfway through, hahaha. it just got too preachy to me, not my cup of tea. i appreciate her sentiment, but i just wasnt a fan of her voice.

as for the travel thing that you and eric want to do, do it!!!! my husband and i are just finishing up a year of living in london. we’ve been to 5 countries and in two week we’ll have added 2 more to that list (including iceland which i never thought i’d get the chance to go to!). it’s a lot easier to travel in europe than i thought, once you get to europe you can get super cheap flights from ryanair or easyjet, and trains and hostels are totally affordable too. it’s scary and it’s stressful and it’s hard, but it’s so worth it! my husband and i might have not made the “responsible” choice this year (get a job, go back to school), but we dont have kids or a mortgage, so this is the best time in our lives to do it and i’m so so so glad that we did. a really great blog that you should check out is http://www.yesandyes.org- sarah von is my travel idol, she has tons of great and practical advice.

as for me, i would love to one day own a hobby farm out in the country in southern alberta!

172 Isa August 4, 2010

Hey Amie,

I would like to ask you some questions regarding your one year in London with your husband. I don’t know how to reach you. I am a French girl. I lived in the US for 7 years. I am thinking of moving to London in the next year or so. I know London a bit and went in high school in England for a while. But it’s been a while I have been living in the US too. And my situation is different now. I am married to an American. I’d love to hear about your experience there and get some advices maybe.

173 amie August 4, 2010

hi Isa! i’d love to help out. my blog is getaneyepatchman.wordpress.com, there’s lot of london info on there. and you can email me at amie.schaufele at gmail dot com with any questions!

174 Kim July 19, 2010

I bought Eat, Pray, Love on CDs about 3 years ago and listened to them while driving around town. Then I uploaded them on my iTunes and have listened to the book twice on my iPod. I absolutely LOVE the fact that Elizabeth narrates the book so you can really feel her emotions. I listen to a lot of books at work on my iPod and have enjoyed EPL the most. I have thought about buying the book so I can make notes in it and read sections when times in my life are a bit edgy. I loved her writing so much I went right out in January and got “Committed” and read that with verve. I knew I would get married and have kids long before I thought about whether or not there could be anything else in life. So I was intrigued to read about why she was so averse to getting married to the man she madly loved.

–I want to go rock climbing. First I need to get my weight and eating habits under control (hence why I follow your blog Angela and several other healthy people).
–I really want to travel overseas but first we have to deal with two teenagers going to college in the next 2 years. EPL made me want to spend an indeterminate amount of time at an Ashram in India to find some quiet space in my brain.
–I would like to get a 4 year degree…but in what? I have been in accounting for almost 28 years and an accounting degree does not interest me at all. So, nutritional science? What to do? At the age of 48, there isn’t a practical reason to get a degree but I think I would feel so much better about myself if I did.

Enjoy the book!

175 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Love this comment Kim…I say go out and do all three of those things that you listed!! Make a plan. I’m rooting for you :)

176 Sasha July 19, 2010

Hi,

I was always in the obedient, hard-working, good student, good daughter mould. Never ambitious, but once I started working I gave it my all and had no time for anything else.
A medical situation struck – the bones in my vertebra column collapsed (over-work, poor nutrition, poor posture etc contributing to it) and I was completely bed-ridden for 3 months. After that I had to wear a metal brace for 6 months for my back. All in all, I was away from work for 11 months. My employers held my position for me (I told you I was a hard-worker!).
That was 9 years ago and life has never been the same again. I re-joined work but my heart wasn’t in it and I quit to do social work :)
I assisted in Tsunami rehab work and various other projects for 3 years, surviving on my savings. After my money ran out, I got back into a mainstream job (I’m a software developer). But I can tell you my heart’s not in it. I quit that job after 4.5 years and am at cross roads now.
My heart wants to get back to social work (my family isn’t supportive of that) but ‘practicality’ insists that I find another well-paying job soon.
The eternal dilemma continues. Fortunately though, in the last 5 years (while I had a steady job), I travelled to Egypt, Italy, Japan and France. I’m 37, female and single, a huge stigma in India! :)
Cliched as it sounds, life really is unpredictable. Do good and live your dreams now – for now is all we have. Everyone chides me that I’m such a loser because my life has been so whimsical and impractical. But I feel so wealthy with all the experiences I’ve had :) :)

I hope you find a way out of your rut and live your dreams!

177 Katherine July 19, 2010

Well , at first I have to say that I read your blog since a couple of months. I think you have such a great attitude towards life, nutrition and sports – you became a bit of a role model for me.
I had problems with eating since I was fourteen ( now I’m nearly eighteen) and reading blogs like yours have really changed my approach towards eating a lot , so that I hope I will accept that eating is a necessity and I don’t have to look super-skinny to be happy.

I ran my first race yesterday and never felt so good – for me running is just something I enjoy. I’d like to learn dutch ( I’m living in Germany) even though I will probably never live in the netherlands I like the sound of the language. Like my grandmother says: Something you’ve learned no one can take away from you. (I hope I translated it right)And I’d like to travel to the U.S. and Asia and Australia … really see something.

Now I will definately buy the book ( I saw it last week in the bookstore in the english book section and refrained from buying it, wrong decision).
I’m looking forward to read a lot of your inspiring posts in the future :) ( And I hope I there are not too many grammar mistakes in my comment )

178 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Thank you for your nice comment Katherine! Goodluck with your journey :)

179 Laura July 19, 2010

Geez…I am one of the few that really disliked this book…I really wanted to like it. I liked Italy, disliked India and hated Bali. I just didn’t find her character to be sympathetic at all. Am I the only one?
My big thing in my life is I refuse to use the word ‘regret’. Whatever decisions I have made or may make are ones I made….I can live with them and if they don’t work out, I can learn from them.

180 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Nope a few commenters above said they only finished half! I dont think you are alone :)

181 Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen July 19, 2010

I think that if it’s something you’ve always wanted to do, you and Eric should take the time for yourselves to travel before the oppourtunity is gone and you’re left wondering what it would have been like.

I was lucky enough to have been able to get away and travel when I was 15 years old and went on a year-long exchange to Japan. It was impractical in a lot of ways – I had to take an extra year of high school when I got back and watch all my friends graduate without me, there was definitely cost involved even though much was subsidized through Rotary, and speaking Japanese doesn’t really have a practical purpose outside of Japan. Even with all this impracticalities, I’ve still never regretted going, because the experience of travelling made me who I am today and opened a whole new world to me. I feel so fortunate because I always hear people wishing they had the opportunity to travel, and I had already been halfway around the world and back by the time I was 16.

Now, some things that I would love to do are go to culinary school (but it would be so expensive and add more years onto what will already be 5 years of post-secondary education for me, and I wouldn’t be using the degree for any job I would have) or compete in a triathalon (but I would need to buy a bike and all the gear needed, and training would take time that I’m just not sure I’ll ever be able to find, plus I’m scared that I’d never physically be able to do it). Neither are really have any “practical” purpose… but would be nice knowing I’ve done :)

182 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Wow I had no idea you went to japan…that is realy amazing, let alone at such a young age!
I too have thought about culinary school. I actually googled vegan culinary schools and was agast to see there were virtually none out there.

183 Claire July 19, 2010

I am a mother of two high energy, fun loving, precious kids. My son is 4 and my daughter just turned one. They have both rocked my world in such an amazing way. My life is no longer my own. My day revolves around them and meeting their needs. Being a mother is an incredible gift. What I truly want is for my children to be able to say is that their mother encouraged and allowed them to be themselves, never tried to change them, and loved every single part of them. That would be my goal at the end of the day!

184 Allison July 19, 2010

Eat, Love,Pray is one of my favorite books..To me it was a wonderful book and I enjoyed each page and her journey..

At this time of my life I’m content, I have three boys ages 18, 16, 11 and had a surprise (blessed) little girl at 44 and she is now 4. I am a flight attendant and have traveled all over the world. I’m not flying now but still employed with my company. I might go back one day.
It would love to go back to Paris with my husband, but at this time in our lives we just can’t. I try hard to stay in the moment and enjoy my life now. It’s hard at time with an 18 year old , teenage years are a hard time but I will get through this.
Life is wonderful and we all need DREAMS!!

You have inspired so many people and have such a passion you will go far, and achieve all that you desire. I so enjoy reading your blog.

185 Jennifer July 19, 2010

I bought “Eat, Pray, Love” a couple years ago and was so enthralled and moved by almost every word! One of our dreams is to visit Italy (stay 2 weeks … even better, 2 years)!! So, I devoured “Eat.” In 8th grade social studies, I did a report on the Taj Mahal and have been in awe of the Taj ever since. I have always wanted to visit, but never felt it would be do-able (as in not safe and sort of scary trying to navigate it all). Amazingly, we are going to India for 2 WEEKS next year with the trip beginning with a special excursion to the Taj Mahal!!! I tear up just thinking about it … a dream come true for this girl!!! I am going to re-read “Pray” before we leave (as well as get my hands on all sorts of information on the religions and the culture and all of the places we are set to explore). The entire thing is arranged and coordinated, so we just get to BE there and soak it all in and stand in the awesome-ness of our surroundings each and every moment. As far as “Love,” I have had mine for over 21 years now … and I think I will be adding a remote tropical island vacation to our “to do” list …

186 Nicole July 19, 2010

Ahh! I just spent 5 precious minutes writing, and then accidently closed my window! Oh well, here is my best recreation:

Travelling with kids IS possibel. When I (and my twin sister) were 10, my parents packed up everything and took us travelling around the world for 9 months. We spent six of those months in a tent, living out of a backpack (in Australia and New Zealand) and 2 or 3 in Thailand, staying in hostels. My parents had always wanted to travel with us, and so HAD been planning and saving, but it had always been a “one day” thing. Then- when we were in the middle of moving, my Dad announced that he wanted to go travelling THEN. The same night, he sent an email to a friend in Australia to tell him we were coming. We sold our house without buying a new one, sold our car, packed and left. It was a big step, and could be a scary one (my Dad is not fazed by stuff like quitting his job to travel), but it was the right one. If we hadn’t have done that, it would always have been “one day”/
When we travelled, and after, we met many other families with children, who were travelling. Most of them were going for 6 months or a year, or even longer. If you camp, or stay in hostels, it doesn’t have to be expensive. We were in Australia for six months, so we even bought a cheap car. My sister and I did school by correspondance through a place in Nelson. Per day, the longer you travel, the cheaper it gets, because the big costs like air fare get defraid. And when you are camping, you don’t have overhead like heating, gas, utilities etc. that you have with a house.

Travelling on your own, or without kids might be easier, but my parents to this day still talk about how glad they are they went with us. It completely changed my life, and made me a lot closer to my Dad (he worked full time while my Mom stayed at home). We weren’t rich- as I said, my Mom was a stay at home Mom. My parents had just saved, and been careful about what they spend their money on.

My grandparents thought my parents were crazy, but they weren’t. They wanted to travel with us, and so they did it. They “grabbed happiness by the ankles” and didn’t let go. It might have helped that we knew a couple who had been travelling since they were in their 30s (going on 20 years now I think). They had come back to Canada to work for 2 years once, but other than that, had just travelled. They were proof of how it is possible to travel for cheap. (They could travel through Australia for less than it cost them to live in Canada.)

If you want to travel before you have kids, do it, but don’t be afraid to try to do it with them as well.

Here is a link to those friend’s website detailing a lot of their travels:

187 Allison July 20, 2010

wow what a great experience for you.

188 suzlk July 20, 2010

I’ve been following this blog for a couple months now as a lurker. I wanted to say that I loved this comment. My partner and I have been trying to figure out “life with kids” (10 yrs together & entering mid-30s soon). This comment makes me a little braver and to look outside the box when it comes to life!

189 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

I also love this comment!

190 Melissa July 19, 2010

I’ve heard great things about EPL. I just watched the trailer with Julia Roberts and it looks like a great film. I haven’t read the book yet because when I saw her on Oprah I didn’t think it applied to my life yet..now I think it does.
I’m on the verge of making a career change and I don’t know what direction to chose. There are the pratical jobs I could take and there are the ones that are more aligned with my passions but are less practical. I so badly want to go with my passions but I have financial responsibilities that always hold me back. Everyone says just go for it, everything will work itself out. I’ve just never “gone for it” before:)
I also want to travel -across Canada, down to California, throughout Europe, New Zealand.
I want to climb a big mountain somewhere in the world

Great post!

191 Rachel @ Balanced Ramblings July 19, 2010

I am married to a CA. That translates into “everything in life must have a reason, some sort of logic behind it or it doesn’t make sense.” He’s all about being realistic, and I’m very much into following my dreams and coming up with new ones.

I’m lucky in that I’ve managed to surround myself with things I am passionate about – a teaching career, amazing friends and family, writing, reading awesome books, running, etc. There are a couple things that come to mind though

– taking a cooking class. I’m a vegetarian, hubby loves meat. I love veggies, hubby won’t eat them. Needless to say, I cook my dinner and he comes home from work to cook what he wants. It seems pointless to take a cooking class just for me, but I’m sure I’ll sign up at some point

– My biggest dream in life is to travel to Africa and volunteer at an orphanage, I’m desperate to do this. Not many people support this, they all have no idea why I’d want to go to Africa. I’ve always been drawn to it, I find the culture and people beautiful. I told hubby that’s what I want for my 40th birthday.

– Going to a Buddhist temple. I’m so drawn to that religion and would love to learn more. I’m too scared to go alone though and can’t see myself following the religion that closely to become a regular temple go-er, but it’s something I’d love to do

– Getting certified to teach yoga. I have no idea why, again, I love the basis of it. It would be so much fun to take the weekend getaway courses, though I’m not sure I could do anything with the certification as I have a daughter to be with at night…and the courses are pretty pricey!

– Go on a yoga retreat. Sounds like a ton of fun and a great way to re connect with yourself. It’s more money than I would like to spend on myself though and have always felt those retreats are for the “hardcore” yogis!

Since losing my Mom 6 years ago, I have been all about “less talk and more action”….sounds to me like it’s time to start planning some things, life is WAY too short to just talk about what we want to do.

192 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

Thank you everyone for your amazing comments!

193 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe July 20, 2010

I know I’m coming in super late on this post, but I had to comment!

I just quit my job 3 weeks ago simply because it wasn’t making me happy. It was draining me of all energy and life. I do know what direction I want to go now and I’m heading there as fast as I can! Since I quit, I’ve taken and then randomly lost two different jobs, and the more things don’t go the way I think they should, the more I’m sure that God has a plan, and I need to just be patient and continue stepping out in faith.

So far my journey of pursuing what I want rather than what’s practical has been so scary, but I’ve never felt freer in my entire life! Just today I was starting to feel doubt and fear creep in, and then I hopped on your blog to catch up and found this post. It has brought tears to my eyes because it is just the reassurance and encouragement I need right now. I always though pursuing my dreams would be easy…and it’s definitely not. It’s hard to go against what everyone thinks you should be doing and to step into the unknown, but I’m just pressing on trusting that it’s going to be worth it!

The year after my husband and I got married, I finished up school and he quit his job so we could move overseas to Thailand for a year. During that year we got to travel all around SE Asia – Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, and also Japan. It was the hardest year of my life, but also the most amazing, and was so good for our marriage. It put us behind financially, but was so worth it! Since then we’ve continued to travel every summer. It’s all about making it a priority. It’s never going to be easy or convenient…you just have to make it happen. I always say – I don’t care what we have to give up to keep traveling because in my opinion there is nothing that is more impactful than seeing the world and learning others cultures. Love it!

Thanks for this post and for all you do!

194 Cait July 22, 2010

This is a fantastic article about the things women are supposed to want in their lives vs doing what makes you happy:

My favorite quote is “Stop doing those spoiled things that bring you fulfillment or you’ll never find fulfillment!”

195 Dawn July 22, 2010

Travel is one of those things that you really have to make an effort to do – it’s so easy to spend your time and money on other things. Maybe do a big trip every year on your anniversary (or some other date)? That gives you an excuse to go.

I recently decided to go back to school – it was a totally impractical decision. I had a job, I was good at it, and it paid well… so why would i want to quit and spend 3 years in school full-time to start over in a totally different career? Especially since I’d be almost to my mid-thirties by the time I was done with school?

I eventually decided that it may be impractical, but my current job (I used to work in IT) was just killing my soul and it wasn’t worth it. I’d rather start over in something I loved. I could make the finances work, and even if I wound up making less money in the long run, my happiness would be worth it. I start classes for my doctorate in physical therapy next month and I couldn’t be happier.